Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-250 Owners

Comments

• jlindsey2jlindsey2 Member Posts: 1
    WE HAVE UNDONE EVERYTHING, BUT CAN ONLY GET THE TRANSMISSION TO SLIDE BACK ABOUT 1/2 INCH.
  • SpancatSpancat Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I have a 2003 F250 diesel. Have replaced the alternator three times since December 22nd 2008. Cost a small fortune at the dealer but they cannot fine anything wrong. After about twenty minutes of ideal time alternator gets so hot you can fry eggs on it. Have insatlled two new batteries about two weeks ago and still have the same problem. Alternator now gone again. Batteries don't seem to be draining as I used a amp meter while the truck is off and no load. While engine is running and everything off total load is about 25 amps. I am at a loss here with a truck that I cannot use. Any suggections would be great appreciated. Thank you in advance.
  • jim00jim00 Member Posts: 5
    Hi. Sorry, I'm not a mechanic, but if you have the time, go back through the past pages. There are some very good people on this thread who may be able to advise you. Good Luck!
    Hi. Also sorry, I'm not a mechanic, but if you go back to previous pages you may be able to contact a skilled mechanic on this thread. I can tell you on Summer I once had to change a alternator and two batteries when I my truck was running 10 -12 hours a day with an 110 volt 400 watt inverter running a 13" TV and Nintendo all day long (not to mention the Barney and Disney movie songs.
    The batteries and alternator got hot, all the water in my "sealed" batteries evaporated, and even though I managed to fill them, they still drained down the batteries' sides and the mounting brackets and grounded themselves all over again to repeat the cycle.
    You may have a loose wire over by the fuse-able link on the right inner fender (I think on the starter soliniod?) next to a vacuum pump. I fried my link (IT runs all the way to the back of the alternator) and it mine sparked and became weak (extra resistance) when I switched alternators w/o disconnecting the batteries first!
    I know, you try to learn from your mistakes. Also make sure your batteries are not being slowly drained overnight. There was some kind of test you could do to see if a wire, light (glovebox light?) or some solinoid was on or grounded. Also check to see if your aftermarket radio, phone charger, radar detector etc. was properly wired and or removed when you bought the truck and a live wire is just hanging touching ground (metal), and slowly draining the batteries so that when you do run your truck the alternator is overcharging to compensate for the drain or grounded wire. Also check Ford.com for you model's recalls. There may have been some regarding headlights - interior lights etc. Good Luck
  • texstaxitexstaxi Member Posts: 2
    Had the same problem. The switch is in each door opening mechanisim and is activated by a plunger. It gets gunked up but can be cleaned and oiled. I replaced my first one. Pull off the inner door panel and its located under the latch.
  • aliret1aliret1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2008 with 26k and I got about 9.5 MPG towing a 20' trailer with a john deer tractor, and a yamaha kodiak in the back of the truck. I think I am getting about 15 MPG light truck. Does your truck get better that that? What did you do to help?
  • aliret1aliret1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2008 with 26k and I got about 9.5 MPG towing a 20' trailer with a john deer tractor, and a yahaha kodiak in the back of the truck. I think I am getting about 15 MPG light truck. Were you able to do something to help with your fuel mileage? Have you looked into those performance chips?
  • msmith6856msmith6856 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 F-250 diesel with 38k miles. A couple of months ago I went home for lunch, after lunch I try to start the truck and it would turn over but not start. After about a day it started just fine. It has done the same thing again, except this time it still has not started after about 20 hours. Any ideas?
  • madthumpermadthumper Member Posts: 1
    I have an 97 F250 Crew Cab 7.3 turbo PS Heavy Duty, I'm in need of a vaccum pump, I called Ford and must say they are quite expensive for the part . now I have located several on E-Bay , and some online parts stores.
    The problem I have was I asked the parts counter guy at Ford for the part # and he refused to hand it over, Does anyone know where I can get this number, or if they know which years will fit my truck, from what I've learnt in 97 two different engines were mounted one had the 2 electrical plugs each side valve cover for glow plugs and earlier models had the single electrical plug for glow plugs. Mine has the 2 plugs per side. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, I'd like to have my brakes safe again instead of being unpredictable because of the lack of assited vacuum pressure to the booster

Thank you
  • mjr6262mjr6262 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to find an electrical problem with my 95 f250 powerstroke. The other morning the truck was completely dead. I replaced the selinoid on the fender and I found the #17 fuse under the hood was blown (trailer Battery charge). We tried to jump the truck but could not. I bought 2 new batteries. The truck cranked right up. 5 hours later it was completely dead again. any ideas
  • sswheelsswheel Member Posts: 5
    I had a similar roblem w/my 2000 powerstroke. It turned out to be a bad connection on the passenger side battery. Since you replaced the batteries I assume you have good connections on the batts. but perhaps a faulty cable or bad ground could be the culprit, Good luck
  • biscuit82biscuit82 Member Posts: 1
    You might have a relay problem and like another guy I talked to found out he also had a ground fault on the starter and added a new ground to the frame but check relay number 302 in the cab. If you have any questions send me a e-mail and I will see what I can do to help. It took me a while to figure out my problem so I hope this can help you.
  • tuneman9tuneman9 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, i have a 2005 F-250 that up until one day last week had really no problems with the front end. Then all of the sudden it started doing what i was just reading about. I turned a corner and it did not return to center and then afterwards it was all over the road for a bit. Next day it was fine, but the next time i drove it it did it again. This morning on the way to work it did it and tonight on the way home you would never know anything was wrong with it.
    One Ford garage tells me it sounds like the steering box and i may be able to flush it and fix it if I am lucky. Another Ford garage said they never heard of such a thing being caused by that and they could flush it for $90 but it probably wouldn't help. Where is this control valve and what kind of job is it to replace? Thank You, tuneman
  • cristinaacristinaa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 F-250. Recently in the morning it is hard to start. It can sit for 9 hours during the day and not have a problem, it is only in the morning. I changed the battery and still have the same problem. Should I change the fuel filter? Any other ideas?
  • cepterjockey82cepterjockey82 Member Posts: 3
    id have to say this is the opinion of an anti gas person and thinks that its diesel or nothin. sounds like you made a good choice of truck for what your gonna do with it that motor will pull that camper and like it, every day of the week and twice on sundays. plus you dont have the added cost od maintaing a diesel motor which can be pretty high so unless you got a big ego to haul around like some unnamed people you did good
    sounds to me like a bad door switch they are pretty cheap from any part store and easy to change id start there
    Ok bought an 05 sd lariot what is this hook looking thing on the dash by the passengers left leg whats it do whats it for are there accessaries that interchange with it
  • dstaggsdstaggs Member Posts: 2
    I am in the process of buying the above diesel trk for 4k. This is my first diesel trk. Can anyone tell me what to expect from this trk. I pull a 12x6 trailer everyday about 400 miles a week. It is in pretty good shape. No drunk bumps Lol. It has about 250k miles on it. Good tires, drivetrain seems to be in good shape. No leaks, new rad, new water pump, new belts and hoses.
  • dstaggsdstaggs Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 f150 with the same problem. Shop says it is the censor for drivers door. Not sure how to get to it to fix.
  • v10gashogv10gashog Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2000 F-250 SD w/V10. Premium gas is the way to go by far. The truck actually gets better mileage too.
  • carriebrattoncarriebratton Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I would love to get your contact information and what you did in your situation. My husband and I were on our way home to Pensacola, Fl from North Carolina. We began having problems on our way to NC. Had the fuel filter changed in NC then decided to take a detour to SC. Good thing we did, the tail pipe began blowing black and white smoke, then started making a loud sound and shaking. Our 2003 f250 6.0turbodiesel only has 73000 miles and just expired on the warranty. We have contacted ford and they don't seem to really care about our situation. I am an active duty naval officer and I cannot believe the treatment that ford has provided. I am ready to contact a lawyer, ford knew there was a problem with this truck and the 6.0 engine, and they have done absolutely nothing to rectify the situation. Let me know if you would like to share your situation.

Thank you,

A proud Naval Officer
  • rtroublertrouble Member Posts: 1
    I AM CURRENTLY RESTORING A 1978 F-250, WITH MAJOR RUST ISSUES. I HAVE GONE TO MANY PLACE FOR A HOOD AND DOORS. THEY ARE OVERPRICED. I WOULD SUGGEST TRYING TO DO THE WORK YOUR SELF. I AM TRYING TO FIND A NEW DASH TO PUT NEWER GAUGES IN IT. THIS IS NOT EASY. IF YOU KNOW OF ANY WEBSITES THAT OFFER THE UPDATED GAUGES THAT WILL FIT THE DASH I HAVE PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS ROBB IN TROY MISSOURI
  • tom_mtom_m Member Posts: 1
    I didn't know either, then one day when I was trying to find a place to put a trash bag it hit me. Thats a perfect place to hang the bag. I guess thats what its for
  • jerryabjerryab Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2002 Ford F250 Supercab Super Duty Lariat with front seats that have integrated seat belts. We would like to change the seats in this vehicle and have found a number of seats that would bolt in without a problem – except the seatbelt is a problem. We are told that because the current seat belts are wired to the airbags that we cannot replace them with aftermarket seatbelts. Has anyone figured out how to get around this legally (where the airbags still work) and replaced the seats? We do know that the mounting hole that is in the roof for the XLT seatbelts is there – can we replace our seat belts with XLT seatbelts and still have the airbags work? We really want to change these seats as they are not comfortable for long trips. Any help you could provide would be very appreciated!
  • nastudentnastudent Member Posts: 1
    I was researching my problem and noticed your post. On June 27th we were returning from a trip and our 2003 F250 SD with the 6.0 began rattling and shaking and putting out white smoke (at least it looked white in the available light at 4:00 a.m.). We had it towed into Salina, KS to the dealership. They eventually told us the valves were burned on the number 4 cylinder along with a bad injector and injector control module. Cost $4526.00 I called Ford Customer Service and they told me that there were no related recalls or service issues that would allow them to help me. This on a diesel truck with 59,200 miles that was regularly serviced by Ford. Ford has lost at least one customer over this.
    Hi. I'm very sorry about your troubles. I'm not a mechanic. I have a 200 F 250 with 380,000 and had a similar problem 3 weeks ago.
    I had just gotten diesel at a small gas station. Before we left the station my truck was weezing, coughing, almost no idle, white smoke, and tiny small internal explosions. I bought diesel fuel conditioner, transmission fluid, water remover, and poured it all in. I drained the fuel filter at least four times. After 15 minutes the truck would idle on its own but it only went 15 to 20 mph pulling a 20 ft trailer. We keep the engine running all afternoon until 11pm. We stopped at a parts store and bought more diesel additive and a fuel filter. Slowly the engine ran better. We had white smoke, shakes and 35 to 40 mph all the way home. After 3 days and 3 tankfulls and lots of diesel additive and trans fluid the truck got better. This has happened before when filling up and the diesel pump ran out of fuel or the gasoline transport truck was filling the storage tanks. Please read your warranty. I may be wrong, but I thought all diesels came with a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. Also read some of the older posts and the responses from the diesel mechanics. I wish you well. Take care Jim00
  • equinechickequinechick Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Ford Super Duty Lariat last fall. We purchased it to pull a fifth wheel and Livestock trailers. I've had no problems with it all and have received nothing but postive comments from people who see it at campgrounds etc. Our problem occured about 3 weeks ago. I was driving down the road and someone flagged me down and said that my tailgate was hanging down from the truck by the cables. It unplugged the rear back up camera and rubbed the black across the chrome bumper. I never drive with the tailgate down and was shocked that something like this had happened. I have driven trucks all of my life. We farm and I've driven through fields and other rough areas and nothing like this has ever happened. I WAS NOT ON A ROUGH ROAD. Since then I've driven with the tailgate down and noticed that on highways if you cross a rough area in the road or even a speed bump in a parking lot, the tailgate may flap once or twice.
    The tailgate is VERY light and is very easy to lift up. It is not spring loaded or anything, but it is very light. It does have the step in the tailgate and I really like it, but I wonder if this could be part of the problem. I had a f150 before this f250 and the tailgate wasn't as light as the f250. When I took it by the dealer I bought it from they said that I really should not drive with the tailgate down, but there was no defect in the tailgate. They basically dismissed me and said that's just the way it is. It seems to me when you buy a vehicle that is made to work, tow/haul and a basic work truck, not to mention paying over $50k for it, you should be able to drive it with the tailgate on and it not fly like a kite behind you.
    Has anyone else had this problem with this model of truck????????????
    It's driving me crazy to think that I can't haul feed in the back unless it rides on the tailgate to hold it down from falling off.
  • rocko8rocko8 Member Posts: 7
    hello
    i have a f250 super duty 6.0 . the problem i have is that sometimes it runs great and sometime not so great. This started about a week ago. The first thing was black smoke then had the EGR valve cleaned. Now the trunk will not start or it will die after about 20 miles and will not restart for about an hour or sometime 30 min. It ran for 4 days with no problem then it did the same thing. Any opinions will be appreciated. I have brought it to a couple mechanics and they were both baffled. My next stop is the ford dealership when they can get me in which is days from now. Go figure!
    the light with water drops is the water in fuel warning. Look under the driver side on the frame and you will see the filter. use a 6mm allen wrench and take the plug out, let it drain for about 1 min. this will be messy so get ready.(try to make a chute for the fuel to drain away from you) this should empty the water and solve your problem.
    oh, i recommend wearing safty glasses or goggles.
  • ford_dude1ford_dude1 Member Posts: 8
    first off, I would replace the egr valve instead of cleaning it. Its cheap so why not. second I think you might have a relay on the way out, or your getting a short somewhere. it could very well be electrical.
    thanks ford dude, i was told that the EGR valve should not effect starting up. I did notice that it runs very well when on full tank and the problem starts when i get close to 1/4 tank. i have been told to add fuel additive to it so i did and i think that did no good. i am on the 3rd day with no problems. it may not start tomorrow????
    i brought it to a local diesel mechanic and he told me to come get it, he could not figure it out. this guy has a good record as far as his diesel knowledge. oh when it does die it will start up after about 30 min. i just don't want to start changing things that are not relevant to the problem i am having. for example the EGR valve is 300.00. again thanks for the reply.
  • fedup19fedup19 Member Posts: 2
    Yes I was wondering about the electrical problems. I am having with my E4OD . Does the cruise control wires disconnected have any thing to do with trans operation.?I have three ford trucks and my 90 F250 is a real hardcase on transmissions.I rewired, new solenoid pack,. new engine computer ,and all new clean trans and still does not up shift out of second gear! any comments?
  • garyekuygaryekuy Member Posts: 3
    How many qts should my 1999 Ford F250 V10 hold at oil changes, and will it hert if I over fill by a qt? I am using full synthetic 5W 30 I have 123,000 miles on her now and I love my truck. She still runs great but I have noticed she is using some oil now, not smoking and not leaking.
  • acameronacameron Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2003 v10 6 qt of oil for her
    I had a break job done on my 1999 f250 v10 about a year ago by Just Breaks, had the same trouble, took truck back 6 times, till one guy said "lets try the factory pads and just see" gues what.... factory pads done the trick.
  • thelawnguythelawnguy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Chevy silverado 1500. I haul 2 commercial mowers on a 6.5'x12' single axle trailer. The truck pulls okay, it has 173k miles on it though. I am going to buy a new truck, and thinking about a 6.8L v10 F250 (gas engine) I'm skeptical about the fuel economy though. I have no clue how much more I will spend in gas. Will a heavy duty truck with more pull power have close to the same gas mileage as a lighter duty truck pulling a trailer with mowers
    I have a 1999 F250 with a V10, I wouldn't have anything else. I used 87 gas in it for years and the best I ever got was 14. I started using 93 gas just about 6 months ago and I get about 16 or 17 mpg, the truck runs soooo much better, I thought it was a dif truck. I used to pull an RV to the mountains in Tn, and the truck pulled like there wasn't hardly anything behind me at all, GO WITH THE V10

Gary
    hi

i had the same thing happen to my 04 f250 6.0 i had a EGR cooler delete installed. this is such a common problem that there is a delete kit for the EGR cooler/valve. i think the cooler is leaking water into the injectors and that is causing the white smoke(steam) i would not replace the cooler but instead i would have a delete kit put in. it is about the same price but all your troubles will be over as far as the EGR system.
  • lavetajulielavetajulie Member Posts: 1
    Got some bad news today. I've got a bad injector! And, of course, that means I need to replace all the injectors on that side. :mad: There's only 125,000 miles on this truck, and I have towed with it only twice. Last year, I put approx. $3800 into for an ERG cooler. What's going on? After having paid upwards of $40,000 for this vehicle, and babying it, I would have thought I wouldn't have to put this much money into it so soon. Seems like it should barebly be broken in! Any suggestions
    well i do feel your pain. i traded mine in on a GMC with the 6.6 duramax and very happy again. Good luck to you ! ">
  • f_truck_dudef_truck_dude Member Posts: 2
    I am new to the diesel world and I am looking at buying a 2002 F250 Lariat 4x4 7.3L with 280k miles for $9500. It is clean outside an has little repair on the leather. Can anyone tell me what to watch out for?
    Well i hear that the 7.3 is a great motor but i would be worried about the high miles. i know people that have that same truck but not quiet that many miles. it may go another 100k miles...who knows? i heard that the worst thing ford did was change the motor sizes. Good luck. Stay away from the 6.0...trust me.
  • cowcuttercowcutter Member Posts: 2
    IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A NEW TRUCK DON'T BUY A FORD. THERE 6.0 IS JUNK AND THEY STOP MAKING THE 6.4 BOTH ENGINES COMBINED DIDN'T MAKE FOR 10 YEARS. I WAS SOLD ON FORD TILL NOW . i HAVE A F250 AND 450 THE 250 BEEN THE SHOP 11 TIMES IN THE LAST YEAR. I TOOK IT BACK TO THE SHOP FOR THE SMAE PROBLEMS THAT I HAD BEEN HAVING AND I WAS 200 MILES OUT OF WARRANTY AND FORD REFUSED TO HELP. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR DON'T BUY FORD. HAVE A DURAMAX AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS.
  • cowcuttercowcutter Member Posts: 2
    7.3 WAS GREAT 6.0 IS A PIECE OF JUNK .
  • BroncoBCCBroncoBCC Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2002 F250 with the 6.8L V10 and it is awesome, Never misses a beat 85K miles. We also have a Chevy Trailblazer (2002) and the entire dash went whacky. Chevy said that the problem started on 2003 models and they were offering to repair for a huge discount. Since I had an 02, they said Sorry, we cant help.
    i had a 2004 F250 6.0, the EGR cooler was leaking. Bolton ford told me to bring it to them. It had 88,000 miles on it. They said it was still under the 100,000 mile warrenty. I drove it to them and they said it will be ready in 3 days. On the second day of them having it they called me and told me that it was not under warrenty due to the over 5 years old(barely). Itseemed like they would have told me that when i was on the phone with them. I had it in a local shop when i called them. Anyway that put me back another week. The point here is there has been alot of problems with the F250 6.0 EGR systems. Ford should do a recall on them. I had to bring it back to the local mechanic where he fixed it for 2800.00 along with changing the high pressure oil pump which i still don't know how it went out while not being driven. Ford has lost a customer for life along with Bolton ford of lake charles louisiana. I am now the proud owner of a 2007 GMC 4WD duramax...for life. i love it!!
  • rotttladyrotttlady Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I need some help ASAP...
    I have a 1997 F-250 diesel with the 7.3 liter engine, the "better" axle ratio (can't remember exactly what the ratio is), long bed, extended cab, 4X4. I am looking at a 4-horse gooseneck trailer with living quarters, need to know exactly how much weight my truck can haul -- but just as important, how much weight can my truck STOP reliably, without being scary or unsafe. The trailer is a good buy, so I need to know ASAP or it will be sold to someone else...
    Thanks a lot.
  • BroncoBCCBroncoBCC Member Posts: 5
    Hello, My 2002 F250SD has the extending tow mirrors. I noticed that neither of them want to move 'up' when I use the adjustment switch. I have to roll down the window and manually move them up. When I push the switch up, the go to the right and click like a gear might be broken. Are they are to replace?
  • carpathiacarpathia Member Posts: 3
    What is it?

I love her, but my Old Lady Truck needs to be replaced. I want the same power, reliability and simplicity of her bad [non-permissible content removed] engine. I also like her nice overdrive option for 70 mph on the highway.

More specs: I think she's geared 3.73. She takes me around every day, but also hauls my two-horse aluminum bumper pull plus horses and all the fixin's just fine. The next one will have to do the same job.

Ideas? Recommendations? Warnings? Do I jump ship from Ford to, say, a Cummins? Blasphemy, I know.

Thanks!
  • carpathiacarpathia Member Posts: 3
    For better and for worse:

My 1990 7.3 L is great... but at 320K miles wants a new fuel injection pump. Otherwise, this truck is a mechanical rock. No leaks, no burning oil, no unhappy glow plugs, nuthin;. And this one has taken me everywhere day in, day out, plus hauled horses.