Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-250 Owners

1192021222325»

Comments

• mossrockermossrocker Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering buying a 2004 with 93K miles, what do I need to look for as far as negative issues? Anything about this truck that would cause a problem with pulling a 15K lb. fifth wheel? It has a upgraded suspension, not sure if it's an addition of a leaf spring or bagged. The current owner says he pulled a 16K lb fifth wheel with no problem, looking for verification.
  • river85river85 Member Posts: 4
    We are original owners to a 2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke and it has been nothing but problems. We are at 92600 miles and just replaced the fuel injection control module. We had a diesel leak November 2011, took 2 attempts for Ford to fix it right. Other problems we've had: Check engine light, engine overheating/when towing (instrument cluster, trailer/tow module), a/c intermittently works (vacuum motor replaced once - this took until 12/2008 to get fixed - broken since purchase 11/2004), surges at idle (failed seal), tow haul would not work (open circuts in shift handle, shift handle replaced twice), EGR replaced once (hydrolocked the engine - nightmare - loss of power, turbo whined like crazy, tons of white smoke through the exhaust), oil cooler replaced once, horn and airbag assembly replaced once (century warranty does not cover airbag assembly - expensive out of pocket for that one!), multiple sensors replaced, fuel injection control module.

All I can suggest is that if you are dead set on a Ford 6.0 Diesel that you purchase an extended warranty. You will need it. We absolutely love the truck and it tows great, it's just the 6.0 powerstroke that is a total :lemon:

Good luck!
  • tcwetherilltcwetherill Member Posts: 1
    I had the very same problem from my used 2006 F-250 6.0 Diesel which had brand new tires on it when I bought it in 2009. Turns out the tires where not the correct load range for the truck. I put new "E" load range tires on the truck aired up to 75 psi and had it aligned. That fixed the truck and has remained so for 3 years now.
  • syko13syko13 Member Posts: 1
    Hello...did you ever fix the steering problem? I have a 2002 F250 super duty that is hard to turn the steering wheel. Someone told me that the (rack and pinion (?) steering cylinder may not receive the fluid from the pump. Not sure if that was a true statement but, the fluid level is good and the pump still seems to still be working fine.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to someone who recently bought a used large truck or large SUV. If you have purchased a used large truck or SUV in the past 6 months, and you are willing to discuss your decision with a reporter, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 1 p.m. Pacific/ 4 p.m. Eastern Wednesday, April 18, 2012 with your daytime contact information.
  • pete2pollypete2polly Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    Does anyone know the sound decibels for this truck?
  • teflon1teflon1 Member Posts: 2
    Im looking at purchasing my friends Super Duty but it has front buckets, Anyone have any info on removing the buckets and installing a bench, Is this economically possible? Thanks for any help you can give me.
  • ckn49ckn49 Member Posts: 1
    My 1994 Ford F250 (diesel) with 160,000 miles has the overdrive light on the end of shifter flashing & the transmission seems to shift "harder". The manual says to contact dealer when light flashes. What gives?
    Is there an overdrive module located on the transmission I could check or am I looking @ big bucks for repair? Thanks for any help.
  • bimmer540i1bimmer540i1 Member Posts: 1
    Job #1 is a thorough cleaning of the engine compartment. Any thoughts about how to go about this? The truck has about 1/4 inch of gunk on the lower half of the engine and onto the transmission. Not looking to make it like new, but looking to make it like not dirty. Last time I got a fuel leak, brake cleaner worked really well to get alot of this off.

How about the rest of the compartment. Suggestions on getting it really clean?
  • hutchesonjimhutchesonjim Member Posts: 1
    hey did u ever figure out ur overdrive light flashing mine doing the same thing, it does not do it all the time and when it does the tack don't work nor will it shift right need some help
  • pmcginnispmcginnis Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2013 F-250 Super Duty 6.7L diesel. It has approx. 7500 miles on it. It's currently back at the Ford dealer for the second time for the same problem.

The engine will start to go into exhaust regeneration. Then upon acceleration the engine will start to cut out and lose power. I have to pull over to the side of the road and shut the engine off. After restart it runs fine. This has happened on four separate occasions. The techs at the dealership have test driven my truck and experienced the same problem. They have driven the truck over 200 miles with a laptop computer connected to the primary computer module to collect data but have yet to figure out what's causing the engine to cut out and lose power.

I used to add Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement but have since switched to Ford Power Stroke Cetane Booster and Performance Improver. I also installed a Volant Cold Air Intake filter on the truck.

Has anyone experienced similar problems with a new 2013 F-250 Super Duty. The dealership techs are stumped and they are calling in an expert from Ford to look at my truck.
  • dmatteradmattera Member Posts: 4

im looking to buy my second ford F250, and i see alot of comments on getting diesels, i was staying away from that due to cost of gas prices would really hurt my wallet, but seeing how they go far and better mileage, does anyone have some really good advice on what i should really be looking at? (ill be using it as a work, sometimes plow truck, live near columbus so thats a must to me) any advice would be wonderful! thanks!

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

@dmattera said:
    im looking to buy my second ford F250, and i see alot of comments on getting diesels, i was staying away from that due to cost of gas prices would really hurt my wallet, but seeing how they go far and better mileage, does anyone have some really good advice on what i should really be looking at? (ill be using it as a work, sometimes plow truck, live near columbus so thats a must to me) any advice would be wonderful! thanks!

I'd look at the mileage numbers of the diesel vs regular gas mileage. It might be a wash as far as cost per mile. You could also use the True Cost To Own calculator to compare models

I did look into that, however, it does not show past 2008, im in my late teens, so im limited to pre-2005 trucks just due to cash. But thank you for the advice!

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

If you're looking at pre-2005, make sure you get a 7.3L diesel... they were extremely reliable compared to the 6.0L that was introduced for 2003.

Alright ill look at that, Thanks.
    I've heard that the 5.4L V8 wasnt a great engine as well, does anyone know about that?

• popsiclepetepopsiclepete Member Posts: 1
    First time for me on this blog. I drove an F250 diesel for the first time on Saturday. Sweet! It was a 2004 with 148k miles on it. 4x4. One owner whose name I am in the process of trying to get so I can talk to him about it. I'm guessing it was not a lemon for him since he drove it for 10 years but I'll find out when I talk to him. The used car dealer is asking $13000 for it which is in the KBB ball park..I want to eventually use it to tow a 5th wheel which I don't own yet. CarFax gives nothing on the service record. Hope the previous owner can. Reading the posts on this blog is pretty scary but there are a few positives for the F250 6.0L Diesel. How about a few more satisfied owners of that truck posting some comments if you're out there.