Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-250 Owners

Comments

• stan_top_downstan_top_down Member Posts: 52
    I've not heard it on my 2001 (same engine/tranny). My immediate thought was the engine growling as it does when I stress it at really low rpms, but you said that wasn't the noise you're hearing.

Sorry I can't help more.

Best,

Stan
    Amarillo
  • doscardoscar Member Posts: 12
    Have a 02 SD V-10 gasser. Moving to Washington from California. Is there a difference in the smog devices in Calif. and Washington? Thanks
  • 99horsehauler99horsehauler Member Posts: 1
    ok i'm new here, but i've had my 99 F250 superduty for almost two years and I have a problem nobody can fix,even the Ford dealer has no idea. I'll give a brief rundown as to the repairs so far. My fiance was driving it when the speed sensor went on the transmission, she said it would rev up then bang into third gear. had that fixed, tranny wrench said he never saw one that lost a speed sensor, and kept going. 4 wheel drive didn't work and both hubs wee replaced because she told them it was making front end noise and the auto locking hubs didn't work. and then she complaind it was running rough, they replaced a coil, and did a tune up. the 4 wheel drive still does;t work even after the $400 a piece hubs. I drove it this weekend, first time I got to drive it since I was away in FL at school for 5 months, and here is what I noticed. It taks off fine, but in the midange it almost feels like something becomes unbalanced, it bucks and vibrates for a second then it stops, sometimes it does it for 5-10 seconds and there are days it doesn't do it at all. Ford hooked up it's scanner and found nothing. any ideas???
    :mad:
  • sveirge1sveirge1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 99 F250 Super Duty V10. While towing a flatbed trailer, I noticed (after shutting the engine down after initial towing) when I put the truck in drive that the transmission slipped in forward gear.

I parked the truck, and the next day I started it up, put it in gear, and it drove fine. I took it to Amco (trans. shop) and they drove it for 45 miles and said there was nothing wrong, so...

I drove the truck to pick up a fifth wheel trailer (about 350 miles round trip) and it ran great over and back. I parked the truck in my driveway when I arrived home, and about 20 minutes later I decided to center the trailer in the lower driveway...and again, the transmission slipped in the drive gears.

If I put the truck in Low 1, it will move but it is sluggish. It seems that after the truck has had time to cool a while it is fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong? I am thinking it may be the torque converter, or a computer issue...but really, I don't know much about transmissions.

I could really use some feedback with this. This truck is a great truck! First time I have ever had any issues at all.

Thanks!

Sveirge
  • kyboykyboy Member Posts: 4
    What chip is ok to use in my ford that doesnt viod my warranty? i am looking for fuel economy not power. do they all void the warranty? If there is some that doesnt void the warranty,which is a good brand or name to get that is easy to install. Where is the computer located also in this beast? i have a decent mechanical background so i feel comfortable putting it in.
  • xabntroopxabntroop Member Posts: 7
    I believe any modification outside a different exhaust and intake will void your warranty. I have a 05 f-250 4x4 psd a/t crew cab with 35's and a leveling kit and at 58 mph I get about 16-19 mpg. I think the best way would be to get a programmer like superchips or hypertech and set it up on the economy setting. My brother in law had his excursion 6.0 diesel programmed on high perf and towed his boat to Mexico and ruined his turbo....dealer replaced at no charge because they programmed it. The programmers are ok if you do not get your egt's up and overspool your turbo...watch the boost gauge. Just another note, if you stay at 55 or 58 you do pretty good, but wind resistance doubles at 65 mpg from 55. Thats what I was told, I hope this helps.
  • drhowelldrhowell Member Posts: 2
    :sick: How many people have had problems with the 2 1/2" blue turbo hose blowing off? A friend has lost his 3 times and I just discovered mine was torn and ready to blow off at 24,000 miles. The Ford Dealer says it is a common problem?
    I have a 99 F250 Super Duty V10. While towing a flatbed trailer, I noticed (after shutting the engine down after initial towing) when I put the truck in drive that the transmission slipped in forward gear.

I parked the truck, and the next day I started it up, put it in gear, and it drove fine. I took it to Amco (trans. shop) and they drove it for 45 miles and said there was nothing wrong, so...

I drove the truck to pick up a fifth wheel trailer (about 350 miles round trip) and it ran great over and back. I parked the truck in my driveway when I arrived home, and about 20 minutes later I decided to center the trailer in the lower driveway...and again, the transmission slipped in the drive gears.

If I put the truck in Low 1, it will move but it is sluggish. It seems that after the truck has had time to cool a while it is fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong? I am thinking it may be the torque converter, or a computer issue...but really, I don't know much about transmissions.

I could really use some feedback with this. This truck is a great truck! First time I have ever had any issues at all.

Thanks!

Sveirge
    This is a common problem, I had it happen at less than 2k miles..the hose blew off and the hose clamp dented my hood from the inside out. I called Ford and they said they had many problems with that hose. The replacement hose is aluminum. I took my truck down to the dealer, they ordered the hose and replaced the rubber hose with an aluminum hose......I guess you could call it an aluminum downpipe. Anyway, there have been no problems since the replacement hose was installed. This same thing happened to my brother in laws diesel excursion...and he received the same aluminum replacement hose. Ford also had Den Pro come out and fix my hood. I love Ford trucks...and have had great service so far...I'm having my limited slip clutch pack replaced on Friday, for some reason, even with my 600 lb quad in the truck I am only getting one tire R/R to spin even in the snow on level surfaces Limited slips aren't supposed to slip that much...In two wheel drive with an honest limited slip, you really can get through some crappy terrain if you need to. I don't go out and tear up my truck, no sliding or mud bogs...nothing like that....just my work truck and I keep it clean and running like a top.
    Has your transmission fluid been replaced recently? Sounds like when your trans fluid heats up it loses it's viscosity. Just my thoughts...I hope this helps...it sure is easier to change tranny fluid than to rebuild a tranny.
  • lostcause245lostcause245 Member Posts: 21
    I noticed my brake pedal pulsing and my truck shaking the other day when I applied the brakes. Warped rotor, correct? Wrong!! When I disassembled the brakes and removed the rotors, I found rust had pitted my rotors severely. Its a daily driver with only 60,000 miles on it. Does anybody know of any recall or other recourse that should be taken? This is not my first Ford and have never had anything like this even remotely happen. Your suggestions and comments would be helpful.
    I took the truck into Amco and they said the fluid was great. Not burned, looks and smells good. I sure agree...Better to change out the fluid than have a rebuild. Maybe I will change it out anyway. the filter may be gummed up from a prev. service where they didn't change it out.

Thanks!
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    At 60K miles the only recourse I know of that you have is to reach for your hip pocket... :cry:
  • dgeddedgedde Member Posts: 1
    My truck runs rough and stalls all the time. Dealer says fuel pressure low and replaced pump 3 times, injector 2 times, IGR valve (??) once. No computer codes. Dealer stumped and still has truck for the 3rd week now. Engine has 72,000 miles with no problems until now. Dealer keeps accusing me of chipping it but no one has ever touched my truck except dealer for work beyond oil changes, etc. Ford involved now but they don't know either.
  • stinger1stinger1 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered this truck in '03 I now have 49,000 km. Since then I have had many problems with severe smoking, lack of power, very rough running engine. The dealers service has been great in trying to solve my problems. When the truck was new my fuel mileage was 20-21 mpg cdn. Since then they have replaced numerous sensors. 3 egr valves, 2 turbos, 2 ecm's. My rear end was noisy, they replaced the clutch pack, the cone and cup bearings.One of the problems is the catalytic converter plugs up. I removed the cannister and cleaned out the insides. My turbo pressure went up 1.5 lbs. I now average 20-21 mpg. in the city and pulling my 5th wheel and boat. My last trip not pulling anything was 7,000 km.I averaged 30-32 mpg.When I have a problem it goes to the dealer immediately.
  • rmcmakenrmcmaken Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with my 99 f250 I was wondering if you had found the problem
  • timswifetimswife Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I have had a very bad experience lately. Exactly what you are taling about only worse. Did you ever the problem reslved. email me back at crete1man@aol.com
    I took my truck back into Amco (Trans Shop). This time, the fluid was burned...and needed a rebuild. $2,700.00 late, I have my truck back. I know I could have gotten a better deal for a rebuild, yet Amco has a great warranty and is a National Company.

I truly hope your issues are not as costly. Amco said that there are "Globes" in the heavy duty Ford's that the factory suggest be replaced due to their not being rated for that transmission so I had them replaced, as well as the torque converter.

I talked to some local shop's about an engine rebuild because I am at over 100,000 miles now. They said that the V10 is just getting broken in and that I really shouldn't worry about it. I have not had any engine issues, just wanted to be safe.

I am confident this will fix the problem. It sure is great to have my truck back!
  • reed25reed25 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 03 f250 7.3 and the truck is showing some of the same problems as yours. It seems to run ok when hot but it will stall and take a few minutes to restart when cold. Have you got any info? thanks
  • akenatenakenaten Member Posts: 122
    I test drove a 6 liter crew cab today and was impressed except for the loud engine. Anyway what is the consensus(if any) on this motor? I've seen elsewhere on this site it's been called a "disaster" for Ford. Is it a bad motor?
    I've narrowed my choices down to the F-250 and the GMC 2500HD with the Duramax. So far the only big difference between the two is engine noise. The Powerstroke is A LOT louder.
  • smoothride4mesmoothride4me Member Posts: 13
    I Have a 1999 F-250 with a 7.3 L I believe.. It does run fine most of the time but on occasions it does hesitate and there have been a few times where it has just stalled, Complete loss of power.. Might anyone know where I can start?
  • smoothride4mesmoothride4me Member Posts: 13
    I forgot to mention that I did change the fuel filter!! It has stalled at 70 mph and it has stalled at 5 mph. It has hesitated numerous times at all speeds, No Bells, lights or whistles go off. It does also start pretty much right back up.
    Help someone that is confused!!!
  • rvsjrrvsjr Member Posts: 2
    I too have had that same problem.Once pulling my Toy Hauler to the desert.It blew off at the top,twice.Then it happened again on my way to the beach.Took it to Ford Dealer,and he replaced the entire setup.Both rubber hoses on top and bottom,and the metal pipe betwenn them.He checked the boost also,and it was fine.I' really not convinced its repaired.When I pull a hill next time we will see.Have you heard of possibly something else causing it?
  • rscott6rscott6 Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone taken off the front grille on an '03, '04 or '05
    yet..there are 4 screws that hold it on on top but can't
    see what is holding it on the bottom?? Help..Thanks.
  • 777pilot777pilot Member Posts: 4
    2002 F250. I have refrigerant charge but the compressor wont turn on when I call for air. I've checked the fuse (slot #10 as per the owners manual). With a meter I get continuity from what I think is the minimum pressure switch on the same electric lead that splits and plug to the compressor. When I check the lead to the compressor, while calling for air I get zero voltage. Bad computer? relay? or compressor? or am I assuming that closed continuity is indication of enough refrigerant?
    thanks
  • lzrdking98lzrdking98 Member Posts: 40
    I would appreciate any advice any of you could give me. I just purchased a 2006 F250 and I am loving it. I tow a 32ft travel trailer and I was thinking about purchasing a hypertech programmer to increase my mpg and help with my towing needs, torque, hp etc.. Is this a good idea? should I wait until the truck is broke in? Can I install the software now? Please let me know and Thanks for your time.

Troy
  • tpgill7181tpgill7181 Member Posts: 1
    My brother and I both own F-250 trucks equipped with the Power Stroke Diesel. You will not find a more dependable Diesel engine. This truck has all the power I need, and it is quick for being so big and heavy. The engine is a little loud, but that is what owning a diesel is all about. I like to hear that big engine growl. This is the best selling diesel engine for a reason, the people that use these trucks work them hard and keep buying them.
  • fpainefpaine Member Posts: 1
    i want to buy a new ford truck, ford factory sent me a 2500 doller rebate. ford also has rebate of 2500 doller i also got a 1000 doller rebate for commersel use plus 500 for finaceing.for a total 6500, off msrp does anybody know if there are more rebates out there my dealer says he will sell at invoice plus all rebates,american quarter horse?.the resone i ask is i think there are more rebates out there but my dearler wont tell me
    there are many rebates as you suggested. Prior to going down there have him e-mail you or you go down to the dealership and obtain the Current Vincents for the month. There are Ford loyalty club rebates etc. 6500 off an invoice purchase is the best deal I have ever heard of. Don't waste a whole lot of time nickle and diming. Good luck
  • f250guyf250guy Member Posts: 9
    Hello everyone, Ive got a 2004 6 litre,crew cab 4x4. I got about 26mpg (average) untill i put some lumber racks and a tool box.The racks, and box loaded, is about 500 lbs. This shouldnt nock my milage down to bout 12 mpg...should it.
    I put an average of 120 - 180 miles a day, so every mpg helps. Any thoughts on alternate fuels? Please help.
    Thanks in advance, Guy :sick:
  • briannzbriannz Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm in NZ and I own a F250 7.3L diesel Powerstroke Supercab 4x4. I've done 67,000 kms so far and this truck has run like a bird. Can't fault it. It pulls a large trailer. I imported a Bankspower big bore exhaust system and superchipped it up one stage. I've also imported the underseat storage units - all from the States. The truck was built in Mexico, Right hand drive for the NZ and Australian market. I previously owned a Chevy Tahoe 96 6.5L diesel and this truck was not a patch on the ford.

I'm extremely satisfied with my truck, but am interested in knowing mileage to rebuild on powerstroke and the transmission. When can I expect to have to do the rebuild? So far this truck has not cost a cent (hope I'm not tempting fate!) in repairs.

What is the average life prior to rebuild for these components - tranny and engine.

Cheers

Brian
    NZ ;)
  • dimerdimer Member Posts: 1
    Lately, the oil pressure gauge in my 2000 F250 has been suddenly jerking up and down, erratically, from zero to full pressure. This happens regardless of vehicle speed or load, so I suspect a faulty sensor. I've got the 6.8L V10 with four-wheel drive and 5-spd manual ... where is the oil pressure sensor located on the engine?? Thanks in advance!
  • ana8ana8 Member Posts: 1
    DOES ANYONE HAVE THE DIAGRAM FOR THE FUSE BOX..LOST THE MANUAL...
    (NOT A DEISEL) TRYING TO INSTALL A HORN THANKS!!!!
  • tgoldentgolden Member Posts: 2
    I would like to know if any others that own a 2004 F250 6.0 diesel 4X4 are having problem with the steering locking up on them? So far it seems to be that when I am driving a low speeds of ten miles per hour or slower and when I make a sharp turn one way and then immediately make a turn back the opposite direction the steering almost locks up. It is worse than loosing power steering to the point you almost cannot turn the steering wheel. I talked to a friend and he indicated that it could be the pump that controls the power brakes and power steering, since this model does not have a power brake booster. Please let me know if you have had this problem and the fix. I recently had the recall from ford taken care of, that was causing hesitation when accelerating. The fix cured that problem but caused another problem. Now the transmission shifts to quick out of first gear, and while towing a load, like a 5th wheel, and with overdrive off, it will not shift to high gear until 65 miles per hour. Has anyone else experienced this? I haven't talked to ford about either problem as of yet, just wanted to check with other owners and see what you think and if others are experiencing the same problems and possible fixes?
    Thanks
    Terry
  • tgoldentgolden Member Posts: 2
    I have the same, 2004 F-250 6.0 with 4x4 with 60k. So far have not had any of the problems you talk about, knock on wood. However; I just posted a problem with locked steering. Other than this I have been fortunate, and not had other problems I am reading about in forum. Good Luck.
    I have a 2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty CC, V-10, auto. with 50000 miles. The rotors have warped twice. This is my first Ford. I have had other trucks that did not warp rotors like this. Is this a problem with cc because of weight? Ford seems to know about this problem but has chosen to ignore it. I believe I can fix this for about $1200 by installing Slotted Frozen rotors. I am very unhappy with Ford because of this common complaint. I may not buy another one, Ford has let me down. What have others done?
    I purchased a brand new 2006 ford f250 diesel. Manuals say to tow after 500 mile break in. Seems a little too soon. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments. Can I hit the road, or should I wait a while. Please let me know
  • thelawnguythelawnguy Member Posts: 3
    alright, thanks
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Before you go spending all that money, read this:

Warped Rotor Myth

I've got exactly the same configuration truck, except it's an '01, F350. I've got 47K on it. Original rotors, new front pads at 40K. Never any problems with warping. Turned front rotors just to start clean, and then broke the new pads in.
    Thank you for the great info. I tow a 10,000 lb. 5th wheel, which causes the the breaks to being used more severly. After reading your info, I think understand about what needs to be done. Again, thank you for your help!
  • aaronmaaronm Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 99 F250 Super Duty with the 5.4. I knew the truck would be thirsty. However, i m still looking for ways to improve MPG's. which will give me the best results? Air intake, exhaust, hypertech programmer, Ect..ect..?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    500 miles is about right. These diesels (and this applies to the Cummins and Duramax too) need to be worked in order to break in properly... that means getting them loaded and giving the engine something to do besides hauling an empty truck around.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • adiheadadihead Member Posts: 4
    My truck: 1996 Ford F-250 7.3 L power stroke

The problem: Flashing wait to start light- truck shuts off and will not restart until wait to start light comes back on. Is random, has no warning, no pattern to problem, only does it every few days. Truck also develops a very mild skip just prior to truck shutting off. After truck starts, skip doesn't seem to be present until problem occurs again. I have replaced the following: Crankshaft sensor, IDM Module, PCM, fuel pump, fuel heater, ignition switch, removed and cleaned all known or visible grounds, changed type of oil from delo 15w40 to shell rotella 15w40. I am completely at a loss as to what is causing this problem. Can you help? Thanks
    I bought a 2006 F250 and broke it in at 500 miles. After which I installed the hypertech programmer and set it at stage 2. I am loving it. Incredible hp, and torque. I love the shift patterns and firmness as well. Most of all, I was getting 12mpg, but now after install of programmer I am getting 17.2 and climbing. So far, I highly recommend this product.

Troy
  • rriggsrriggs Member Posts: 1
    This is my 86 year old father's truck so my facts are second hand. He says sometimes the fuel is drawn from one tank only and at other times it draws both down together --as this is over a period of days or weeks it is not possible to correctly evaluate his handling of the situation.... Two questions:
    1. is the electric fuel switching valve similar to a chevy unit that defaults to the main tank in the event of valve failure?
    2. Is the truck plumbed in anyway that would allow fuel to be drawn from both tanks simultainiously?
    Any diagrams or schematics would be appreciated Thanks, rriggs :confuse:
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    I have to do this from memory, since these trucks are long gone from my possession.

In my 1990 and 1993 F150s with dual tanks, the valve setup was such that, as long as it was working correctly, fuel could only be drawn from the tank selected on the dash. When the valve malfunctions (stays open), what usually happens is, fuel is drawn from the selected tank, but some will actually spill back into the tank not selected since the passage is open. This would have the opposite effect than what your dad describes... the other tank would actually gain some fuel.

It would be a multiple malfunction to draw fuel from both tanks, since not only would the valve be stuck, but the fuel would have to somehow be pumped from both tanks.

If your dad's 250 is indeed losing fuel from both tanks simultaneously, then there is definitely a problem that needs attention, though.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • stoyebstoyeb Member Posts: 2
    Okay, I am about to spend $40K+ on a truck and trying to decide which will be the best truck.. Ford F250 crew cab 6.0 powerstroke or the Dodge equivelant, 2500 crew cab with the cummins engine..
    Will be using it for alot of highway miles(commute) but will be using it for heavy work on the farm too, along with towing a trailer with tractors and equipment on it...
    I have been a Ford truck owner forever, but it really seems like the cummins engine is really reliable..
    If anyone has any input good or bad for either of these trucks I would appreciated..
    thanks in advance,
    Brad
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Cummins is the best engine, but I still think Ford is the best truck overall. Also, Ford has now had 3 years to dial in the 6.0 Powerstroke, so while it still isn't a Cummins, the engine is very well behaved now (compared to the '03 models). In my opinion, Ford also has the better transmission.

In my experience Ford trucks seem to hold together better over time. I don't farm, but I do beat the snot outta my '01 F-350, and it doesn't give me any problems.... A couple of my friends with Dodges can't say that. They've been getting nickled and dimed to death after their warranties have expired. That's just my opinion, and I'm sure you can find a load of Dodge owners who can refute that. :confuse:
  • sequoia6sequoia6 Member Posts: 2
    My husband purchased an F250 in April of 2004. SAME PROBLEM AS YOU DISCRIBED. This is a HUGE safety issue. Had it in the shop numerous times (even before warranty went out, now has 43,000 miles). Ford has NEVER attempted to replace anything, scratch their heads and recommending to buy him out for an ridicuosly small amount and recommend he purchase another ford. I wouldn't take another ford if it was given to me. The lack of integrity shown by this manufacturer is beyond words. I believe it will take numerous lawsuits to have ford admit there is a problem. It's a cheaper approach.....much more expensive to do a recall and actually stand behind what you produce.
    Let me know if you have more responses or find anything out. Sorry your also dealing with this piece of "Sh_t"
  • sequoia6sequoia6 Member Posts: 2
    Go with the Dodge. My ex has always driven Dodge and never had any trouble. My husband drives a Ford and it is always in the shop. Holds up to the name "Foung On Road Dead!!!!!!!!!"