Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-250 Owners

Comments

• fordtuf1fordtuf1 Member Posts: 5
    It has been some time since I've heard the real explanation of this. I had it on my 99, my Mom's 2000 had it, my 02 has it. I don't recall it having to do with a heater door/flap but it does have to do with the truck sitting for more than a day without being run.

Whatever it was they said that no harm would come of it. The checks in the mail too right? But really I had over 75K on the 99 and I have over 85K on my 02 right now.
  • fordtuf1fordtuf1 Member Posts: 5
    This may very well be your limited slip starting to not slip. Guys from another Ford Truck site talked about this a lot. I think Ford says don't service your rear, or front, diff unless leaking or problems arise. I tend to say that's BULL.

I put it off until mine started making the same noise when turning. I did a full service, which is nothing more than pulling the cover changing the gear fluid (synthetic) and adding the modifier fluid. The manual says add 4 oz, the wise man says put in 2oz and see if you get the noise, if you do then add 1oz and try again, but don't exceed 4oz.

The new syntehtics don't really need as much of the fluid modifier so I'm told. I have 2oz in mine right now and it's better than before I changed it but I'm gonna add 1oz more cause it shudders just a bit.

You could do the simple way and buy the modifier, any auto place has it, try 1oz at a time. :shades:
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I have a question on the 2008' Super Duty's. I was half interested in a Ford F-250 Super Duty King Ranch but wondered if the 6-speed manual was a option on the King Ranch as I think the 5-speed is a bit out dated ? If I were to buy a 08' Super Duty it would be a loaded out King Ranch as I think they are very nice trucks. :)

Rocky
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    expect to have to factory order to get it.

Mark
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Manual tranny is not available on the King Ranch. Only the 5-speed Torque-shift automatic.
  • paintmanpaintman Member Posts: 23
    It started yesterday while driving my f250 I began to hear a faint chime from the dash, it chimes 5 times then a 3 second delay and 5 times again , delay 5 again after about 5 series of this it stops for about 20 minutes then it does it again.
    Is this a trouble code? the guages read fine and the truck still runs smooth.
    If your seat belt is on, then the system is not reading this, get help from dealer.

Mark.
  • paintmanpaintman Member Posts: 23
    seatbelt was on I tried with it off also -same, the sound is different than the seatbelt tone(faint)???
  • newdernewder Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone else had their door handle rip off while getting in your truck?
    Don't you love those plastic door handles on a supposed Superduty truck. My wife did it to my F-350 last year when the doors were frozen shut after an ice storm. She was embarassed and didn't think she was so strong ..... :blush::blush: (I on the other hand, never had any doubt - this was the women who nearly broke my fingers while squeezing my hand during natural child birth. :P )
  • lzrdking98lzrdking98 Member Posts: 40
    Not yet, but anything is possible with plastic. The heat, cold, uv rays. Such a tough truck. The achilles heel of the truck is the handle. Plastic sucks. Let's make it steel and chrome plate it
  • jeff0325jeff0325 Member Posts: 3
    Loosing faith. 2006 f250 4x4 5.4 auto. 7500 miles the exhaust system started cracking and popping when it warmed up. Very embarrassing at the light or when you turn off the truck. Dealer replaced the exhaust system. Worked for two weeks and the same problem occurred. Notified the dealer and in the mean time the engine gave out. Drivers side overhead cam shaft brackets broke in the head. The dealer tried to get ford to replace the motor but to no avail. Ford decided to only pay to replace the head. The dealer had no explanation as to why the clips holding the cam shaft down failed. The exhaust system still is making the same noise. I am getting it back to the dealer for the third time for the exhaust problem this week. With spring time here I'm getting concerned with having to pull the toys around. This is my 2nd f250 the first was a 2004 w/ the v-10. Maybe I should have kept the 2004 but the 0% interest rate got me.
    Jesus what a bunch of crap you have been going through. Such an odd problem. I would if it didn't screw the warranty, is switch to a dual exhaust system. I always ran with flow masters. Never had a problem. The cracking and popping and running after you shut the car off sounds more like a problem with the engines fuel to air mixture. Also the catalytic converters have been none to cause problems as well. Good luck.

Troy
    I'm not going to spend any $ until this problem is fixed. Question. Could excessive heat be causing the exhaust to make the cracking sound? Could a lean burning cylinder put out more heat than normal? Are these two problems tied together {failed head, exhaust noise} I'm sure this would have turned up on a computer code but not sure. Maybe someone other than the dealer mechanics have an answer.
    Yes, heat can cause the sound. Yes, a leaner burning cylinder can cause heat. A failed head can cause problems for the exhaust system. I have heard of catalytic convertors cracking due to the porcelin inside them, but I am not sure if this is the case now a days. Good luck. Nonetheless, your truck is too new to have all of these problems. Take care Jeff.
    update. The service manager at the dealer has been notified by ford engineering that no more work is authorized to try and fix my exhaust noise. I called ford customer service and got nowhere. They have made this determination with no one from ford {except the dealer} hearing what the problem is.
    This is more than just a little bit of pinging and cracking. If the vehicle was making this sound when I test drove it I would never have purchased it. If I was going to try and sell it, no one would buy it.
    I have purchased over ten new vehicles from ford since I've been able to drive. I am very frustrated. A local attorney has agreed to here what the problem is later this week.
    More updates to follow.
  • toyhaulertoyhauler Member Posts: 3
    I am considering purchasing a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 diesel engine. The price is right however it has 232,000 miles on it. It appears to run strong, doesn't smoke and the dealer claims it was used for business to run back and forth from Utah to Washington. How many miles can you expect to get out of this engine. Even though the price is below book value I don't want to replace an engine any time soon.
    7.3 is a robust engine. Would probably need an overhaul (not a replacement) somewhere in the mid 300K range. How's the tranny - betcha it's not the original?
  • toyhaulertoyhauler Member Posts: 3
    The dealer doesn't know if it's been replaced or not. How would I be able to tell.
    Don't know.
    :confuse:
    Was hoping some records came with the truck.
    :confuse:
    The dealer could run the VIN through the system, might be able to come up with repair records from Ford Service Departments.
  • keroburnerkeroburner Member Posts: 11
    Anyone out there with a 6-liter with 50,000 or so miles and no problems? If so, how is the truck used? Also, are there any public records available as the the percentage of repairs on this engine under the warranty?
  • scooter06scooter06 Member Posts: 13
    I JUST PASSED 50.000 AND ITS HAD NO PROBLEMS EXCEPT I GOT A BAD TANK OF FUEL AND I'VE HAD TOO CLIMB UNDER THE TRUCK ABOUT 10 TIMES TOO DRAIN THE FUEL WATER SEPARATOR. AND IAM NOT CRAZY ABOUT THE MPG WHICH IS ABOUT 15 ON AVERAGE I HAVE A 03 SUPER DUTY 6.0 4X4 SUPERCAB .THE HARDEST THING IT DOES IS PULL A 5X8 TRAILER AT MOST 5000 IBS.ITS BEEN A GOOD TRUCK AND I WONDER IF CHIPPING IT WOULD GIVE ME BETTER MPG OR JUST PROBLEMS I HAVE ENOUGH POWER
    You may not wanna mess with a "good thing" I've heard a lot of annecdotal stories about folks chipping their 6.0 diesels and ending up with a whole bunch of problems.
    DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT.

Unless you know someone willing to pay your repair bills.

NO mod chip maker has the resources to even begin to write better code for this complicated engine than Ford.

Just what kind of MPG do you expect?

Mark.
  • scboatservicescboatservice Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know the largest tire you can fit on a 06 250 crew FX4 with 18" rims? If so, what brand tire? Seems like the options for the 18" rims are limited, can't seem to find anything larger than a 275/70/18. Thanks
    Does anyone know the largest All Terrain tire available for a 06 F250 FX4 with 18" rims? Seems like 275/70/18 is all I can find in that cheap factory cont. tire. Is there a larger size that will fit with minimum rub and if so, what brand?? Thanks
  • scooter06scooter06 Member Posts: 13
    I would like about 20 miles per gallon i keep hearing the dodge boys saying oh i get get 20 something i know we have 2 more cylinders but the engines close in cubic inches.
  • robbo74robbo74 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 140,000 miles. donl what fixed your problem? The exact same thing is happening to me. I drained the filter/water separator, replaced the fuel filter the air cleaner(K/N). It is driving me crazy I have found that if I get onto a highway (40+) or at least not stop and go traffic in less than seven minutes (because this about when the truck will stall) and drive say at least 6 plus miles like this the truck will not stall and will start immediately or upto 1hour after parking it for the rest of the day, it will drive perfect as if there were no problem. If I don't follow my (get on the highway quick method) the truck will die and will not start again untill it cools for at least 40 minutes maybe longer because if you start it to soon it will die again within a minute. I am thinking of changing the fuel pump relay. Any help would be much appreciated.
  • ohana1ohana1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 F250 diesel. The inter cooler went out and since it was replaced it has been getting bad fuel economy. I have had it back to the dealer and they stated that there is nothing wrong. I also can't use my Diablo Predator any longer due to the fact that the truck, even in its lowest setting, bucks and just generally runs bad. I called Diablo and they indicated to me that they had heard of an update for the injectors. When I called ford, they had not. HELP PLEASE
    Steve
  • bmaxwell1bmaxwell1 Member Posts: 1
    I have gas getting into my oil, Do you think it is a head, or the intake?
  • jsbaileyjsbailey Member Posts: 1
    HI, MY HUSBAND JUST PURCHASED AND 08 F-250 SUPERDUTY AND IS GETTING TERRIBLE GAS MILEAGE(APPROX 9-10) HE IS PULLING A TINY 6 X 12 TRAILER. WE JUST TRADED IN A 04 F-250 SUPERDUTY DUE TO REPEATED EGR PROBLEM. BUT HE WAS PULLING A 6X24 BEFORE AND GOT AN AVERAGE OF 12-14 MPG. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS THIS TRUCK OR ANY IDEAS OF WHY SUCH TERRIBLE MILEAGE?

THANKS
    STEPH
    First of all the truck is brand new and MPG will get better, but it will take time. Second of all, your husband should not be towing anything until at least 500 miles are on the truck. I say 1000 miles. The truck has to break in. The truck will probably get 15-18 MPG. That is the going rate for this beast. Congrats

Troy
  • robbo74robbo74 Member Posts: 2
    Well since my last post March 1, 2007, i haven't had to deal with this dam trucks problem because each place I have had to go it was at least 8 miles of highway driving(initially). Like i said before after the first drive i could and did drive surface streets, stop and go rush hour, and the truck was fine. Today Sunday though I went to the auto parts store (4.2 Miles round trip) to pickup a few fuses that had been burnt for some time and on the way back it died going about 25 mph. I was actually able to restart it (NEVER HAPPENS)in neutral while still coasting but then it died again at a red light. This time it would not start. After repeated attempts, I rolled it to a safe spot, waited about 45 minutes maybe an hour turn the key and WHALA it fired up like nothing had happened and drove home fine. What Gives? Can Anyone Help? Please this truck is killing me. Rob
  • townsend420townsend420 Member Posts: 1
    well i have a 2006 150 4 door with the 5.4 and now i have about 19000 miles on it and the truck has died on me about 6 times going down road, it has happened at numerous differnt speeds then the fun thing about it is you have no steering, breaks or anything so it can be pretty scary when im doing 70 on the interstate.. well i have been to 3 different ford dealers and they never have an answer for me.. and yes i have sat for up to an hour afterwards trying to get the truck started and then wala it starts and evrything is fine.. well im currently doing the lemon law deal since ford can not fix the problem and the truck is very unsafe to drive. since ford can not duplicate the problem after them driving it for about 200 miles they do not want to help.. so we will see what happens.
  • flyingbflyingb Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a f-250 4x4 and the 4wd high range works the indicator light comes on but when I turn it to 4wd low range this indicator light does not come on and the truck does not seem to be in a lower range. The front drive shaft is turning. Could this be a sensor problem does anyone have any ideas. I am used to my old 93 Jeep that has a manual tranny and a 4wd shifter for the transfer case in the floor with direct linkage. I am not used to the new switch on the dash. :confuse: Thanks Brian
  • david97david97 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 f-250 SDPS and was pulling my 5th wheel for the first time up some pretty good hills today. At the top of the hill the truck made a loud noise. It sounded like a huge cooling fan. What was this noise and is this normal?
    David
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    00 MODEL F-250SD GAS MOTOR TRUCK DRIVES NORMAL SOMETIMES OTHER TIMES HAS WHAT FEELS LIKE PULL TO RIGHT AND THEN WILL GO LEFT WITH WHAT FEELS LIKE TORQUE STEER UPPER AND LOWER NEW BALLJOINTS 140000 MILES ON TRUCK
  • fedupwthfordfedupwthford Member Posts: 8
    It was a 97 built in 96. Before 96, 150's 250's and 350's were all built on the same line. When the new "super duty" came out a year later, it was discontinued. It was kind of a gap filler, until the new truck was available. Very few were built.
    I have a 96 250 4x4 with a 460. It has a 3.55 gear and it keeps dumping it's transmission fluid. ( I don't think it should have ever been built with this gear) The first time it happened, was at 42,000 mi. and Ford replaced the transmission. Now it only has 60,000 mi and it has done it again. I only tow a 4,200 lb boat a couple times a year (about 8 miles) This truck is rated to tow 10,000. lbs. It has a tow package including a transmission cooler. I've been told I can just refill it after it cools and it will work untill ift gets hot again. Also that this is a common problem and that the only fixes are a second transmission cooler, a new transmission every time I tow, or buy a Chevy. are there any other possibilities such as high performance seals? a bigger aftermarket cooler? The tranny shop says they won't know anything untill they get the truck. I know they will pull the transmission, and then charge me a ton to fix it , without addressing the cause. What can I do to make this work without refinancing my house?
    Do you know your gear ratio? I have the same problem with my 96 4x4 w a 460 gas. It has a 3.55 gear ratio. I think Ford screwed up when they offered this gear option. As typical, they won't admitt they screwed up, so they won't issue a service bulitan. (because any possible fix such as changing the gear is too expensive,) So; they just leave these trucks out there to keep blowing transmissions until someone wrecks them. Anyone else have any ideas?.
    big block fords build way to much heat are running a tranny cooler with electric fan or just a flo thru
    when engine cranks but won't start turn key off and turn back on to see if wait to start light comes on if not truck will not start problem with wire harness
    It has the factoty one. It seems small to me. It has no additional fan. will a better one fix the problem? will it need to be resealed now that it has overheated? Are there better seals available? is it simply that the cooler is inadequate? where can I get a better one?
    if it's not leaking don't worry about it. www.jegs.com is a good place to start price a haden i have found them to be pretty dependable and the install is pretty simple. the 3.55 gear is a good all round gear choice for on/off road use. it's heat that kills the transmission hopefully you are running the c6
    I've been told it's aE4 OD. Is that the problem? I've never even approached the towing limit. Last time the dealer put a new transmission in it.
    NEVER TOW IN OVER DRIVE AGAIN HEAT IS THE ENEMY OVER DRIVE INCREASES THE NUMBER TIMES THE WHEELS TURN TO THE NUMBER OF RPMS THE ENGINE TURNS THIS DECREASES THE NUMBER OF TIMES THE TORQUE CONVERTER HAS TO PRODUCE TORQUE. KINDA LIKE TAKEING OF IN 2ND GEAR MORE STRESS MORE HEAT. BY THE GAS FOR EIGHT MILES AND BUY A GOOD TRANNY COOLER DON'T TOW IN OVERDRIVE.
    I knew that. It's basic. I never even got up to speeds to activate OD even if it had beed on, which it was not. It just seems the gear is too high even at low speeds. With this gear, I dont think the truck has much towing capacity. The engine does not even strain. The electric shift mechanism does not seem to adjust for the increased load when towing. It shifts too early. If it were a manual, (or an older automatic), you would wind it up farther before shifting when towing. Would it hurt anything to use the shifter and shift it manually?
    YOU CATCHEN ON IF IT WON'T MAKE IT. AGIAN 3.55 GEAR AT 60 MPH SHOULD BE 3200 PLUS RPM BUY THE GAS
    No. my rpm at 60 is 2000 or less. I get excellent mpg,when I'm not towing, for a big block. (15/16 hwy) I went up 1 inch in tire size, but it didn't change more than 200 rpms. 3200 sounds more like a 4.10 gear.