Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-250 Owners

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Everything on Dodges is cheaper - Dodge owners won't pay as much it seems.

As for the truck selection, I agree - unless you want a pretty old one, the big truck with the diesel will be a lot of money, and more than you need for landscaping business. Diesel isn't cheaper than gas anymore either. You'll use a little less of it, but not that much. You want the Diesel if you tow anything heavy at all for sure - otherwise, the gas engine will do better actually. YMMV
  • texasedtexased Member Posts: 5
    I'm finally going to replace my 90 250 w/ non-turbo 7.3L. In just under 350K miles I've really had very few problems with the 7.3 (injector pump replaced, vacuum pump replaced). A/C compressor self destructing is pushing me into the market, though everything else is showing the age too.

But I am wondering whether the problems with the 6.0L have been fixed, or not. As a retiree I'm stuck with 04 and 05 models with under 100K due to cost considerations. Preference is crew and long bed (and most I'm finding are short beds of course).

Any recent experience with these engines would be helpful. It seems to be hard to find anything on the net more recent than late 2003 to early 2004. I'm worried that the new engine is a good indicator that Navistar never did get the 6.0 right.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • pcmedicpcmedic Member Posts: 5
    I bought a diesel F250 2004 and I have had so many problems with it. from oil coolers problems to oil leaks from all over the engine, engine wiring harness, and more.
    Thanks. This morning my youngest son got hold of a service manager he knows who said personally he would not buy a 6.0L. I found and drove a 5.4L this morning. Almost had a heart attack when I looked at the mpg showing on the display - 13mpg. The salesman said he wouldn't lie, I was not likely to get much better than that. My old 7.3 has LOST fuel economy from the 17mpg I used to get down to 14.5, so I guess I'll continue the hunt for a 7.3.
  • bobf00bobf00 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a satisfactory answer to this? I have the same problem with a 2000 F250 V10
  • lzrdking98lzrdking98 Member Posts: 40
    Come on guys. Everyday something is published about MPG. For Christ sakes, go buy something else. It's a truck, it weighs almost 7000lbs. It's only going to get 14 mpg if your lucky. Also, the 6.0 is a quality engine. They have had issues with turbo hoses and increased turbo pressures. That is not why they came out with the new 6.4L. If the 6.0L engine was so bad. Why then has it made it's way into every single rescue vehicle, ambulance etc on this planet. I myself have run three rescue ambulances into the ground and guess what, they still run and run well. You want to know something else, they are all the 6.0L engines. Go guy a Tundra
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I figured it all out the other day but I got called away from screen and the post timed out.

Basicly, if you drive 15,000 miles per year and switched from a 13 mpg Gas to a 17 mpg Diesel, you would save about $575 per year in fuel costs.

The catch is that the average diesel costs over $5,000 MORE than the same exact gas powered truck.

Accordingly, its going to take you over 8 years, closer to nine years to earn back that $5,000 inital outlay through fuel economy savings.

And this doesn't count the lower costs of Maintenance (oil changes) and repairs for the gas engine.

Mark.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    If you're going to include maintenance costs,then you also have to include resale value. My Ram 3500 offered 2 engines in 2005, the Cummins and the Hemi... MSRP difference of about $6000 - I again opted for the Cummins, having driven one for 9 years prior. I just checked the wholesale values after 2 1/2 years and 50,000 miles... difference is still $6000. So far, my diesel has been free.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • birddawgbirddawg Member Posts: 7
    I have owned both the Gas and now Diesel trucks, and I love my Diesel. I didn't really have any knowledge of diesels when I bought mine. I'm very satisfied with my 6.0 liter. Mine is the 2006 so I guess the bugs were worked out. I have no real reason to own a Diesel other then I hope to be able to make my own biodiesel some day. Fortunately I have access to offroad diesel at no cost to me at the moment so the price at the pump doesn't effect me unless I go for a long road trip and need to fill up to get home. I have a few modifications so I get even better milage. If I cruise at 68-70 mph I can get 21 almost 22 mpg. In the city its around 17 mpg. I have stock tires and suspension. I don't care to change that. If you can afford the diesel I say go for it. The bonus is the extra power for either towing or just passing slower traffic, which is usually me. Just my 2 cents.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I wouldn't advertise your tax evasion if I were you.

Mark.
  • birddawgbirddawg Member Posts: 7
    I never thought of it that way. I just looked at it as free diesel. I help out friends and they hook me up with a full tank. I guess I'll have to just ask for money or find new friends that can buy me beer. I thought it was a wonderful new friendship too. I guess I'll have to tell them that I can't accept it anymore. Beer or Pizza for now on. Thanks for pointing that out to me. That sure was swell of you. To think they have been doing me wrong.
  • rbw289xxrbw289xx Member Posts: 3
    Can any one of you great folks help me. I have an 1999 250 XLT v10 ( ya gas but the price was right and I have an 150 5.0 with 200K) with the tires that ford has said to use and my speed o is off by about 5 mph. I have read some of the fix's but they are realy far out. Can any of you give me some help.
    Economy is not a legit consideration unless you drive a zillion miles a year. The best reason for getting the Diesel, is if you need to tow something large. Otherwise, the extra cost of the diesel will not be overcome by mileage for a long long time.
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    there is also the increased cost of regular maint.
  • gdtaliqgdtaliq Member Posts: 8
    253 of 256 Ford F- Series Rusted Broken Bolts on Manifold by gdtaliq Oct 03, 2007 (8:03 am)
    Bookmark | Reply | Edit | Delete
    I have a 2001 F-250 with the V10. Noticed a clicking on the passenger side of the engine. Found 5 broken (Rusted) manifold studs on that side. Found 4 on drivers side. Only have 50,000 miles on vehicle. Talked with a number of other F- series owners from 1998-2003, with both the 5.4 and V-10. All looked and found same problem. Dealer is pricing the repair at about 500.00 per side, if everything goes well. 1000.00 total. Extreme could be as high as 3000.00, if cab has to be removed. How many other F-series out there have the same problem? So far 100% of the owners I have talked with have the same problem
  • rbw289xxrbw289xx Member Posts: 3
    I just look at my v10 1999 and they look good and I am in the North East and salt is our big problen. :)
    I bought the 5.4L Triton. I decided on the basis of the two vehicles available that met my criteria (and I could afford). The 7.3L was 4x4 (don't need) Supercab and a creampuff 2002. The 5.4l was a super clean 2005 crew. Crew has more room, regular was $2.63 and Diesel was $3.04. Broke my heart not to get the diesel, but economics are economics. On limited experience the cumulative calculator shows 15.3mpg. I might have gotten 17mpg with any of the diesels, and I think for sure any hauling would come out better on the diesel. But I don't haul very much, and when it comes time to haul hay in, the 1990 is available.

The 6.0s will obviously never be around as long as the 7.3 was. If problems with the 6.0 were not why Ford and International replaced with a 6.4, then precisely why did they?

Why are emergency vehicles using the 6.0? Maybe because the Dodge chassis isn't as tough as the Ford (most likely reason) and you could only get a Ford with the 6.0? GMC doesn't have a good diesel reputation in that market.

Obviously there haven't been many (if any) 6.0s get as close to 400k as my 7.3 has. When there are a number of them at that point and still running and presenting no problems (only the injector pump and vacuum pump replaced on my 7.3), I'll certainly admit they are a good engine.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    6.4L was developed so that they could use the ultra-low sulphur diesel fuel, and meet the new emissions standards.
  • keroburnerkeroburner Member Posts: 11
    The problems with the 6-liter diesel usually come from a couple of things. One is messing with the engine, adding chips for more power. The other is towing heavy trailers. Ambulances with the 6-liter don't do either of these, so maybe that is why they seem to have better luck with this engine.
  • johnst41johnst41 Member Posts: 3
    Yes I have a 2001 f250 superduty as well with the v10. Bought brand new in Massachusetts and it was in the salt and snow for a couple of years. Now in FL and the manifold bolts are snapping and i'm getting some major leaking from it. Went to a ford dealer and they said, it would be easier to replace then engine and not much more as far as cost. It only has 60k on it, and I don't want to repalce. I've had no luck finding anyone that will touch it. Not sure what to do, and I don't like driving it the way it is.
  • superdutydudesuperdutydude Member Posts: 2
    I saw your reply and wanted to let you know, I to have a stick and love that tranny, but I did a temp gage and found that on very steep long grades my tranny will heat up. I helped it out a lot by putting Amsoil synthetic in the tranny. Our six speed manual has a pump just like the autos and will heat up.
  • superdutydudesuperdutydude Member Posts: 2
    First of all, has anyone done this? I want to get a 40' triple axle trailer, but wanted to convert my truck to tow it safely. I've already done the full Banks mod including the exhaust brake. My truck is a 99 f-250 superduty with a 6-speed, 4x4. I wanted to do a aluminum flatbed and was hoping to be able to extend the frame somehow so I can make it a long bed. I want to put a 1 ton dualley axle under it. Seemed like the modification wouldn't be to hard.
    I have begged, pleaded and whined to Ford. They will do nothing, except at 88.00 hourly rate, but with no clear estimate of total cost, because of unforseen prblems that they might encounter. So much for Ford caring about their customers. Lots of luck.Hope you have better than me
    How old, how many miles?
    Mine is a 2001 and just turned 60k.
    I'm hoping I can have somebody from a machine shop drill out the studs while it is in the truck, or take the heads off and drill them out then. Looking like it may cost 2500 to 5000. I see a guy on ebay selling reman heads for the v10 at 1000 for both. Might be the best bet. The guy selling them is a machine shop here in clearwater fl.
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    this has been a problem that ford has been aware of for a long time. to bad they didn't make them as good as the ones in the bed haha. ford will do nothing to help with this problem. pull the head or pull the front clip. :lemon:
    It would be nice if Ford would step up on this problem, but how long do they have to warranty the car from any defect? You're way past the warranty period - out there, you're on your own, and you take the risk. If you don't want that risk, buy a new one, with a new warranty. I don't blame you for wishin, but I also don't expect Ford, GM or anyone else to make my car run forever without problem. My 04 Toyota Tundra has 75,000 miles. It won't go into 4WD. But I'm not whining that Toyota won't step up and fix it for me. If I wanted that protection, I'd go get another truck. This repair is on me, and I'm not surprised. :confuse:
    Interesting. I was told by a Ford Svc Manager that the 6.0 was developed to meet new emissions standards which were going to be put into effect. If they have to develop a new engine every time the environmental/emissions rules change, I wonder if any light truck diesel will ever come close to the longevity of the 7.3 in the future.
    I figured it out also, but the savings were pretty much non-existent. Except for a short while this year the price of diesel has been at least $0.10 per gallon more than regular for years now. And currently diesel has been running the same to a little more than premium gas (yesterday at several towns it was $0.36 more than regular, premium was $0.30 more).

While the gas engine has lower oil change cost, if my old 7.3L is "average", the other costs of the gas maintenance (Plugs, plug wires, tune-up, etc.) more than makes up the difference. As I've said before, the only thing I've put into my 7.3L in 350K miles is an injector pump, a couple of injector lines, and a vacuum pump. Not counting filters, which are about the same for gas and diesel.

Broke my heart to go with the gas, but the economics favored the gas engine. My two final choices were priced the same, so purchase price wasn't an issue. At the rate I drive these days, from a mileage standpoint this could be the last vehicle I ever buy (probably not, one of the grandkids will probably help out like the kids use to and total it for me). I think it is a shame that I couldn't find a long bed crew cab. Thought I found one, but it was the short bed, the Chevy dealer who had it thought the 6.5' bed was a "standard long bed" because that is all he is seeing these days. Why is that, anybody know? Is it that people are uncomfortable driving them because of the length?
    2001, 57,000 miles. Well taken care of truck. Other than this, looks new
    If this wasn't a problem with almost all 98-2004, I probably would not expect anything, but when for alll intents and purpoese, this was a design flaw, the Ford should step up and fix on a one to one basis as needed, and maybe not a recall
    Well, the truck is certainly too old to be warranted, but the mileage is a different bear - I tend to agree with you, Ford should own your engine and fix or replace it. Wish I could help you with that - if I worked for Ford, I'll do it for ya.
  • armyman89darmyman89d Member Posts: 1
    I'm Looking at Buying an F250, with the 5.4L. it has 200,000 miles on it. Is that a bad miliage? i know its alot, but is that really bad on that truck? What are normal problems for that?
    IT all depends upon the maintenance and use on that truck. I'd be careful what you pay for it. If it's been well maintained, it should still have some life left in it, but generally, that truck is about done. The 5.4L is an excellent motor, but 150,000 miles is usually the easy life span under normal circumstances, before you could have some concerns about it. If very well maintained, it should be fine for another 100,000. Who knows? You have given us almost nothing to go on. Like, what does the rest of the truck look like? What year is it? What transmission? How has it been used? How many owners? Details, man, we need details to give you a useful answer. As for the 5.4L in general, there are no weaknesses universal to that engine.
    check the manifold bolts. probably rusted off. Also checkthe front brake self adjusting pins. Probably also rusted and locked in place
  • lynard007lynard007 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 03 6.0 with a k&n filter and while pulling about 9000lbs up a hill it blows some anti fz out I have had it at the dealer about 6 times the 1st dealer thought it was a blown head gasket my dealer at home cant find out why its doing that it has 100000 miles on it now does anyone have any clues last time it did it I was only taching about 2200rpms @bout 50 mph it also has a 373 gear in it
  • oneeyedclyedoneeyedclyed Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 super duty, and need to replace the shocks. This is my daily driver but also pull our boat. Looking for something that would give me that luxury ride but have the stones to be fully loaded and pulling a boat. Any suggestions??
    You do not mention where you are blowing out antifreeze. It could be a water pump, head gasket, overflow reservoir, radiator. You need to pin point the exact location. If you have it coming out of the exhaust. you have a head gasket issue. Is the truck overheating?I wouldn't tow anymore until it's fixed.
    Well, you shouldn't have bought a truck if you wanted that luxury ride. Having said that, I have always had good luck with rancho shocks. They can take the cargo load and towing just fine. I would get the type that you can adjust the air with. That way you can set it up while towing or while driving under normal conditions. Rancho shocks are a reasonable price too.
  • ve1drgve1drg Member Posts: 5
    Wondering what sort of fuel mileage I should get with this new F250 that I just got.
    I only have about 500 miles on it right now and the mileage really is poor.
    I have 13000lb trailer that I have pulled a bit just to get ready to go on a trip and I see that my mileage is low. Not sure how low it really is, but it seems to be some where around 8 mpg.

Is this about right? Seems low but maybe once the vehicle is broken in , it might be better? Anyone agree?
    its coming out the over flow I took it to another dealer and there saying it needs head gaskets and a egr but now it has 101300 miles on it and ford will not cover it even thow its been going on since it had 97000 miles on it back in july can you belive that!! Ford will not cover it and its been to 3 differnt ford dealers now
    If it's only coming out of the black overflow tube connected to your plastic reservoir, it does not need a head gasket(s). Don't put so much fluid in the reservoir and see what happens.
    First of all, do not pull a trailer until you have at least 500 miles on the truck. I waited until I had 1000 miles. You need to let everything break in before pulling a bohemoth trailer such as yours. Your fuel mpg will be at 8-10 mpg towing and 12 or so mpg with normal driving. Congrats on your new purchase.
    heck this has been going on since july the service manager told me that too i got it right out of the shop and went on a camping trip and it started blowing it out going up the hill at 50 mph 22 23 rpm the temp gage only goes up just a tad its been at there shop like 6 times everytime im pulling the camper and its only a 27ft camper maybe 9000lbs loaded
    heck this has been going on since july the service manager told me that too i got it right out of the shop and went on a camping trip and it started blowing it out going up the hill at 50 mph 22 23 rpm the temp gage only goes up just a tad its been at there shop like 6 times everytime im pulling the camper and its only a 27ft camper maybe 9000lbs loaded its just blowing it out the top of the cap so I think its the head gasket leting go a little bit
  • diehardforddiehardford Member Posts: 50
    Had the same thing happen on a service van I used to drive at work. Least little thing and it would blow out anti freeze. Turned out it was a clogged radiator. Find a good radiator shop and take truck to them. They may be able to boil out the radiator and solve your problem.
    on an 2003 6.0 plugged up already I can drive 90mph with no load for 350 miles straight and it runs like a charm and it doesn't ever get hot at all even pulliin a load it dosent get hot until it blows out all the anti fx
  • frankb6frankb6 Member Posts: 1
    My starter won't disinguage, Has new starter and solenoid, my next guess is the ignition switch in the steering colum is bad. Are there any other options? Thanks
  • ve1drgve1drg Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your note on the mileage question and the suggestion that more miles on the truck would be good before being serious about what the mpg was/is.

I agree with that (now). I went to my Ford dealer and they said the same thing.
    So I have done that and in two days I am taking off on a 1500 mile trip to Florida and will know for sure what my real fuel mileage is after I get there.

Cheers and thanks again for your thoughts.

:)