Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Nissan Titan Prices Paid

Comments

• Options
    si88si88 Member Posts: 39
    So hvan3, you recommend waiting it out for better deals? Do you think that the dealers might offer lower financing rates also? It would be great if we could get both rebate and financing together. That would really sell some autos.

I can probably wait until May when my lease is up.
  • Options
    thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    well the drive to a million sales event ends march 31, so why would nissan further lower incentives after that time? in reality, there is no way to determine what nissan is going to do with their incentives (i work at a nissan dealership, we find out the incentives when they are publicized to everyone) my bet, is nissan is going to push til march 31st, then rebates will stay the same unless gas SKYROCKETS in the summer (and even then they'll have to see how the market goes) or sales really plummet. chances are, if the incentives go up, it will be a month or two before the 06's are scheduled to come out.

its all a shot in the dark however, the only people who know anything are nissan corporate people!

-thene
  • Options
    yogibm1yogibm1 Member Posts: 6
    The most competative area is Cincinnati where there are more car dealerships percapa then any other place in the United States. Just to let ya know!
  • Options
    If you get a 2005 you can get the NAV without having to get the DVD, its the way that they set it up. It really Makes me mad that they don't offer the tow-toned Sand/gray color anymore.
  • Options
    toyota won't do that big of a rebate no matter how much they need to do it. If and when they do "rebates" the call it customer cash and it is for a weekend or as long as a week.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Everything I see in the paper leads me to believe that big trucks will have a hard time moving out of the dealer lots because rising fuel cost. Get this, in Malibu, CA, (or was it Beverly Hills?), I heard premium unleaded went for $3.05 per gallon!

Anyway, the Drive to 1,000,0000 sale won't end just in March. Nissan will extend the sale and call it something else. $1500 rebate by Nissan is nothing to write home about. I"m pretty sure that all manufacturers will increase their rebates to get buyers back into their showrooms for large SUVs and trucks. Keep in mind, SUVs and trucks are the most profitable segment of their business. They can "afford" to give bigger rebates. IMO.
  • Options
    Perhaps you are correct if you gauge by dealership per capita. However, Southern Cal is the land of BMWs, MBs, Lexus, and etc. More cars and trucks are purchase in SC than in any other region in the nation. That is why majority of the car companies have their design studio/corporate HQs in SC..... Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Madza, Kia, Hunydai, Audi, and etc

It's cheaper to buy cars in SC due to stiff competition, however, it's expensive to drive the cars here with high insurance cost, emission cost, and higher fuel cost.
  • Options
    roobsterroobster Member Posts: 6
    Looks like I am getting ready to purchase a new 2005 Titan LE Galaxy Black with Steel Interior with The Big Tow Package and Floor Mats. MSRP is $36,430. The offer from the dealership is $1,218 under invoice. I will be purchasing tomorrow sometime. The way I dealt with the dealerships was to find like trucks on there lots and then ask them to start bidding for my business. The one who goes the lowest below invoice would be where I buy the truck. Out of seven dealerships I got response's from 4. I had to summit on color as I searched all over the New England states for Red Brawn but was unable to find one and settled on Black, which is beautiful but is a lot of work to keep clean.
    I hope this helps some of the people out there on this forum when dealing with dealers. Please feel free to comment or if you have any questions I will answer gladly. Good deals are still out there!!
  • Options
    glenski01glenski01 Member Posts: 44
    I am trying to purchase a 4x4 SE offroad crewcab here in Colorado. The MSRP was $36700. What is the invoice and net price on the one you are looking at? It is super competitive here on Chev, Dodge, Ford, however Nissan appears to be offering far less for discount compared to the big three, although it appears they have quite a few units on the lot.
    Thanks for your help and info.
  • Options
    At Mossy Nissan in Poway, San Diego, they have two LE Crew Cabs with $5000 off. Code #21815 and 21915. The ad expired yesterday, but I'm sure they will sell you at this price.
  • Options
    laserlurelaserlure Member Posts: 1
    I am in florida, what dealership did you buy from?
    Bruce
  • Options
    jdkx2jdkx2 Member Posts: 10
    It would be a bit of a drive for you. I am in Texas.
  • Options
    My local dealer has helped me do a search for the Titan w/options that I am looking for. Even though I already did the same thru the Nissan website. He is being very helpful as he should to earn my business, right. He has mentioned some things, industry terms that I am wondering if you can confirm. The Titan I want at another dealer out of state is available according to the Nissanusa website. But when I asked for a quote from that out of state dealer, he said he didn't have this one in stock. So I copied the VIN# from the website and asked him to check again and, low and behold, he says he must have overlooked it and he has it.

Now my local dealer says that it sounds like that vehicle might be "punched", meaning that it is either a dealer demo or that the dealership was trying to make a monthly quota. Any way the warranty begins the date that the vehilce becomes "punched". This is because he said he could not find that truck either thru the dealer computer.

Also my local dealer said that the truck with all these features is a sometimes difficult to sell since it is loaded with many options.

The latest offer from the local dealer is that he will order this truck w/ the options I want from the factory and sell it to me at invoice, before any rebates. He says he really wants to earn my business. Of course he needs a $500 deposit to do this.

Meanwhile I plan to take a vacation this weekend near the out of state dealer and was going to check out that truck. I still have not heard back from this out of state dealer and even left him a voice-mail to follow-up. Is there anyway I can tell if the truck has been "punched"? Or is this all a big line of BS?

My instinct says this local dealer is being honest but I'd like to hear your opinion.
  • Options
    IF your sales guy does not return your call, then why don't you ask for the sales manager at the out of state dealer? He should know more about the vehicle than the average joe salesman.

If the out of state dealer has the vehicle you want with all loaded features, check out the build date of the Titan. If the date is OLD, then you can assume that the vehicle has been sitting on the dealers lot for some time. Thus, you should have the leverage of hardballing this dealer. For a loaded LE, you should easily negotiate at least $5.5K off the MSRP. No question ask. The key thing is finding out the build date of teh vehicle.

IMO, I think your local dealer is BSing you that the truck was 'punched'. He doesn't want you to go to out of state dealer. IT's all a game.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I have been unable to get on at nite due to site maintence, that is the reason for the late response. Your price of $36,700 is not far off from mine which was $36,430. Most of my information came from this site. I got only two options, Big Tow and Floor Mats.

------------MSRP------------------Invoice
    Base-------35250--------------------31863
    Big Tow------400-----------------------347
    Floor Mats--110-------------------------82
    Dest Chg----670------------------------670
    Total-------36430--------------------32962
    Rebate----=-1500-------------------=-1500
    Your Cost--34930--------------------31462

These are the prices right off this site. The other two dealers I dealt with would only go $600 to $650 under invoice. This one dealer in NH which is a hour from me in Mass went $1218 below invoice and I still got the rebate.
    The big three are giving more back in incentives but again it all depends what you want. I am a old chevy guy at heart and just sold a 2000 silverado that had over 100 TSB. If you can get 5K to 6K off here and 8k to 10K there you need to see if those other vehicles will work for you. Good Luck!
  • Options
    titaneesetitaneese Member Posts: 43
    Just to let you guys know what I'm finding out there. I have been shopping a few dealers here in Oklahoma city and I have this offer that came in today.

Galaxy Black 2005 LE
    Leather captains chairs
    floor mats
    under seat storage bin
    Big tow package

MSRP $33520.00 offer from dealer $27700.00

so far this is not with the .02% apr but I am still working on them. When I told them I was going to test drive the F-150 today. I also pointed out that the fords have better rebates and that really got the price down from 30000 real quick.
  • Options
    i work at a dealership, and swaps can be a tricky thing. you are at the mercy of the other dealer. they dont HAVE to swap with you, and if you dont have a good relationship with them, they may just give you some reason (like the car is "punched") so they dont have to swap the car. chances are they burned the car (reported it to Nissan as sold) to make their numbers for last month - so if they swap it, they can get in big doo-doo. even if you do go on your vacation time (why would you want to spend more time at a dealer, and start the process all over again anyways?) reward the guy who's been helpful and kind. unfortunately, we cant always get the cars people are looking for on dealer swap. I've lost many a customer because the car just wasnt available to me via swap. Hopefully that helps! good luck with your Titan!

-thene
  • Options
    Well the internet manager did finally contact me. Here is the build date/Production Month: 12/2004. so its only 4 months or so old. Is that OK?

After some haggling he agreed to sell at invoice on a 2005 Titan LE CC, with sunroof, NAV, side air bags, big tow, floor mats, under storage bin and leather bench seats. MSRP was like $37000 so that is about what you said.

Here is the purchase agreement for the 2005 Titan LE CC:
    33,518.00 (Purchase price)
    + 6.50 (Tire and Battery waste fee)
    + 17.00 (Electronic titling fee)
    + 399.00 (Predelivery fee)
    33,940.50 (Amount Taxable)
    +1,697.00 (Sales Tax)
    +2.00 (Lemon Law Protection)
    35,639.53 (Sub Total)
    -200.00 (Non-Refundable Deposit)
    35,439.53 (Unpaid Balance)

I am very skeptical of the $399 pre-delivery fee and some of these other ticky tac fees and will challenge it or NO DEAL.

thene-I agree, why spend my vaction time dealing with this. But its a function of whats available. I would have to travel further at a later time, which I am willing to. Just trying to do it together if it all works out. Thanks-let me know your thoughts on this deal.
  • Options
    The $399 is the dealer conveyance fee. We'll all tell you its for overhead costs etc (which it is). Every dealer charges some sort of dealer conveyance fee, its arbitrary and up to each individual dealer to decide. I do know some states limit what dealers can charge. our conveyance fee is $249, and some other local area dealerships are between $199 and $399. You can try to argue it, every dealership tells you for legal reasons they cant remove it - but you may find some that are willing to just discount the car for the amount of the fee. so he's selling you the truck at invoice then? i think if you play your cards right, you may be able to get him to eat the $399 - always worth a shot!

with regards to the other fees, i am in CT, and have not seen any fees regarding lemon law protection, electronic titling fee, tire and battery waste fee. not saying they arent legit - it may vary from state to state - i have no way of knowing from my stand point. ask them who gets the fees - is it the state or do they keep them? if they keep them, then they are nothing more than add ons to the conveyance fee, which should cover all that in the first place!

hope that helped!

-thene
  • Options
    Now the price has gone back up after I specifically asked him can I buy this truck (vin#) for 27700. He said he made a typo and the truck is 29700.

I just wanted everyone to know so they don't feel like they got a bad deal if they paid more.
  • Options
    jeffbondjeffbond Member Posts: 16
    Okay I am new to the Nissan thing so hear is my deal, I live in the chicago area.

I want to order a hard to find Titan 4x4 King Cab LE with only the side steps and rubber floor mats.

MSRP of $ 33,120
    Floor mats $ 110
    Step Rails $300

I was quoted 29503 with the 1500 rebate, before I go back and fight…Can I do better?
  • Options
    trashingtontrashington Member Posts: 21
    First thing is that on the LE the Step Rails are standard, so that's a bogus charge right there.
    I don't know what the market pricing is in the Chicago area, but I've had dealers in my area, the DC - Baltimore area, offer me 800 below invoice before rebate on all Titans in stock.
    I personally wouldn't take this deal, the dealer is already lying to you so I wouldn't trust them at all.
  • Options
    I would walk. If any truck that is over $30K, you should easily get $5K off the MSRP including factory rebate. No question ask.

Remember, you have the economy AND higher fuel cost on your side. Dealers are begging buyers to purchase SUVs and Big trucks in this market.

As for me, I"m holding out till April. With the aggressive price reduction from GM and Dodge, I'm starting to see Toyota Tundras come down just as fast because this is Tundras last production year. This will force Nissan Titan to price match the same factory rebate.

With patience, you can easily save yourself $1K (which is about two car payments).
  • Options
    Scam! I have never heard of tire and battery waste on a brand new truck. Typically, you only pay tire and battery waste when you replace those items.

As for the pre-delivery fee, sounds like a scam. Factory typically includes delivery destination as the final price.

Since the truck has been sitting in the dealer's lot since December 2004, I would walk away. I would go to your local dealer and order a BRAND new Titan LE with new and improve factory specs (perhaps they improved on the brakes). Buying a truck with 3/05 build date is better than buying a 12/04 build date. Most bugs should have already been debugged by now.

AGain, aim for $5.5K off MSRP.
  • Options
    I have done the walk & the talk but when it comes to supply and demand i like to ask the questions.
    I figured $3500 off wasn't bad but??? If there is a feeling the rebates are going to be larger in two weeks...I will & can wait. Thanks
  • Options
    according to my nissan price and product guide, the step rails on the King Cab are NOT standard, and the MSRP on them is $300. If he is looking for a rare truck, and one dealer has it, they are going to try to hold some money, because the consumer cant just go to the next 5 dealerships and shop the same truck. its just the market. so it is not a scam, the guy is being honest with you, but if you are looking to save more money, pick a truck that is equipped with the more common options, and that are plentiful, and you will find the dealers will be more competitive. right now, your price is about $600 over invoice based on the numbers you gave me. if you plan on ordering the truck you want, you have more leverage, because ANY dealer can order you that truck. don't even go to another dealer, and tell the guy you are working with now that you can get a price of $30000 minus the rebate from another dealer and see what he says. that puts you at around $400 below invoice on an ordered car. if he says no, try elsewhere! hopefully that helped!

also, to those who are quick to call everything a "scam" please be careful - nissan does change the lineup, and what is standard quite often. let consumers know that as far as you know, it doesnt look right, but maybe things have changed - like the step rails for the KC Titan. everyone already dislikes salespeople for obvious reasons, lets not give them false reasons to hate us as well! thanks!

happy motoring!

thene
  • Options
    I was told by my sales associate that Nissan is about 37K away from the 1 million cars they need to sell for the end of the 04 year. They have been selling them in record #'s in the Northeast. The questions on incentives after this month is any ones guess. I bought now cause I know what they are and felt it was a good deal at this time. Good Luck!
  • Options
    hvan3-What 'bugs' are you refering too? Those little fees I don't care about just the $399 fee, which I can threaten to walk from. The lemon law fee $2 is a good thing, in case I happen to buy a LEMON Titan. Florida is 1 of 5 states that have this law.

I think that the deal is fair at invoice. I know in your area it may be more competitive and you can play hard ball. But in the South it's not.

Then again I may be talking myself into this.

If I did order the Titan thru local dealer, it wouldn't arrive until until July.
  • Options
    orders take 6-8 weeks. so you would be looking mid may at this point. just an fyi

and roob, you are right - nissan is 37k cars away from hitting their goal - they will be working deals to hit that number - now is the time to buy!

thene
  • Options
    Buying a Titan: message update 335 & 339

I have been contacted by another Nissan dealer here in Oklahoma city.

2005 galaxy black Titan LE
    4x2
    big tow
    floor mats
    Leather captains chairs

MSRP 33520
    offer by dealer 28970

Can I do a little better? Titaneese
  • Options
    Jeffbond, I have been driving the Titan & the f-150 also. The f-150 had some really nice features and refinements but yes it was a dog. The f-150 also has some reliability issues, I am so discouraged about looking at trucks I am tempted to wait a year so they can address their problems both Nissan and Ford. If you are at 28003 after rebate I think your doing pretty well my best quote on a Titan MSRP 33520 is 29870 after rebate. After seeing your latest quote I am going to keep grinding on them. Please keep us posted on your quotes and I will do the same. Keith
  • Options
    The one thing that bothered me most was the crap rims and tires they placed on a 38000 dollar vehicle? The Titan at least gives you monster rims and tires versus some donut sized tires that don't even fill up the wheel wells??? My chevy is boring, but at least the tires look proportionate to the truck.

Ill keep updating...
  • Options
    loanman2loanman2 Member Posts: 2
    Just a note, I purchased a 2005 Titan CC Galaxy Black/Titanium leather in St. Louis. Big Tow/Floor Mats/Bed Extender/Under seat storage. Essentially, I got about $400.00 below cost (into their holdback) - $31,379 - Sticker was $36,850. More importantly, I love the truck!!! Born on date 2/15/05 so maybe some of 1st year bugs were attending to...I hope (like brakes)

I will tell you, it was almost too easy..Like, I should of worked it a little more, but, I've never been able to get into the holdback before (which I think is about 3% on these trucks)

Please let me know what your thoughts are....Thanks
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Easy question how much over invoice should I pay for a 4 door (crew cab)? I'm taking the 2% fo 60 months in lou of the rebate of 1500.00

Is 100.00 over invoice possible in Chicago area.
  • Options
    Good job, loanman2! As I said, any truck above $30K, you should easily negotiate $5.5K off MSRP. Since the sticker was $36,850, you bought it at $31.3K, you achieved the targeted $5.5K off MSRP. However, make sure that the sticker price is factory sticker price, and NOT dealer installed "crap" that can easily inflate the sticker price.
  • Options
    loanman2loanman2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, well, I wish I would of reviewed these threads on Edmunds and Titantalk.com a little more closely, because I'm sure I left a little money on the table, but, I got the truck I wanted. Factory sticker I confirmed with prices and the Vin.

Waiting till April, and the comment about escalating fuel may provide some deeper discounts. The "crap" they stuck me for was a processing fee ($77.00) and temp tags ($7.50), but that's it. Overall, I was pleased with the dealership.

All I know is I have never been able to get into a dealers "holdback", so I was a little trigger happy at $400.00 - Great forum for discussion.
  • Options
    On a slow Easter Sunday, I decided to visit Toyota and Nissan dealerships. I brought an ad with me for a 2005 Tundra Double Cab. Sales price is $23,988. Not knowing what the options were, I asked the salesman if this double cab is still available. Low and behold, a WHITE spanking new Tundra Double Cab SR5 with TRD package parked in the lot. MSRP is $28,997. Dealer marked up $500 for bedliner and wheel lock. Total MSRP is $29,500. The spedometer had 8 miles on it, and the build date is 03/05. I asked for a test drive. The Tundra was definitely underpower compared to the Titan. With the sale price of $23,998 on the Tundra, I jumped all over it. Total out the door including $1500 factory rebate was $26,341. This truck had everything except for leather, moonroof, and running board.

Unfortunately, I didnt' get a chance to visit next door (Nissan). The entire process took me about 2 hours. I told the salesman to hurry up because I had my dog in the car. LOL

Well, I can't go wrong picking a Tundra over the Titan. This is the fifth year that Tundra has been in production. I"m sure all the kinks are worked out compared to the Titan.

Happy motoring!
  • Options
    xletoyxletoy Member Posts: 4
    My son purchased a 2005 Titan XE for $18,888.88 weekly "ad truck" after rebate, from Nissan of San Bernardino Ca. however he added 18" wheels and tires that the dealer was taking off a 2005 LE after we signed the papers, I noticed he was charged $1935.00 for five wheels and tires, to late to change the add on. The tires and wheels make a big differance in ride handing, and looks. Total price with the tires and wheels $21825.00 plus Tax, Lic, Fees.
  • Options
    loudriverloudriver Member Posts: 3
    In the Shreveport/Dallas area, what should I pay for a Titan XE or SE? I'll be buying the crew cab with very little options, probably just the prefered package, if that. I will be paying cash and may trade in a 97' Nissan pickup. A dealer has given me a price on the XE of $500 over invoice which came out to about $22,500. Should I go with that? Is it reasonable to start neg. at $4000 to $5ooo off sticker? All I need is the XE but want the SE wheels. Can you get the SE wheels on the XE? Thanks for the help!!!!
  • Options
    jdkx2jdkx2 Member Posts: 10
    I just got a LE from Courtesy Nissan in Richardson. The price was below invoice and there was NO sales tax which made it a fabulous deal. They were amazingly easy to deal with. As for the wheels I would think they would do anything as long as you were paying for it.
  • Options
    I once seriously considered getting a Titan CC XE. There is a dealer nearby that is selling a 2005 Titan CC XE for $21,995 (two at this price). For those who buys a XE CC, you can buy SE wheel package from Ebay. I see people selling them for $600-800.

Had I bought the XE CC, I would have put SE wheels, add billet grille, add door moldings, and tint the windows. Viola, XE becomes SE without the chrome door handles for thousands less! The only major difference between XE and SE are the seats. XEs are bench seats, while SEs are bucket seats.
  • Options
    Nissan Titan LE Crew Cab: My dealer experience today. Talked to a internet salesman today I went for a test drive & after taking me in the office and introducing me to his "closers" they tried to sell me this truck for $28920 telling me he was giving me a great deal and what else did I want. They told me their cost is $30420 - $1500 Nissan Incentive rebate. Thats how they arrive at $28920 for my cost. Interesting because $30420 is just the MSRP - 10%. I asked about holdback & thats when I took notice of some things. They said Dealer Holdback is $852. $852 is 3% of $28400 & if dealer holdback is 3% of their cost then their cost is $28400 not $30420 like I was told. I asked them to show me an invoice & they fumbled around & told me the truck had only been there 5 days & it was too new & they didn't have it.
    Msrp is $33800
    told by dealer his cost was $30420

What I think.
    Msrp $33800
    Real Dealer cost $28400
    Holdback is $852 which is 3% of 28400
    Real Dealer cost - $852 = $27548
    $27548 - $1500 = 26048
    end of year dealer sales incentives ????
    these are kept top secret so even if it was only $500 the actual dealer cost is $25548

I think they have a lot more profit built into each deal and what they will take for their product just depends simply on supply & demand
    I have offered the dealer $28100 & asking for 3.49% APR, this is $5700 off Msrp I am sure they will try to bump me up some more. My point is there is plenty of room for them to make their profit & I think they should make a good living but not by ripping people off.

Keith
  • Options
    unfortunately you are not correct in your assumption that the invoice is $28,400. I looked up the truck on our Nissan site (i work at a dealership) and the invoice is what he told you it was. If you offered $28100 minus the rebate - they will just tell you to have a nice day (unless they are soooo desperate to sell a car they are willing to take a loser). If your offer is $28100 with the rebate, you may make the deal - but it's still not attractive enough to the dealer to JUMP on it per se. Again, the dealer would have to be desperate to move cars to sell you a truck with all the holdback taken out. I know there is a huge distrust for the entire car sales profession, and that you probably wont listen to what i say, or think i am trying to cover for this guy - but the truth is that he WAS telling you the truth. by you offering what you did, you are not giving a dealership plenty of room to make a profit. (like you say you want to do). if we have to sell our vehicles at below invoice and for almost all of hold back, what is the point of staying in business? yeah, the factory will sometimes provide bonuses to dealers to sell a specific vehicle for that month - but as far as i know (here at nissan) there arent too many of those additional bonuses. I get quite upset when people start asking for money from hold back as well - are we allowed to make any money to keep ourselves open? if you knew the markup you were paying for your 50" DLP projection tv, you'd choke. imagine if cars had a 100% markup like tvs do!

sorry to vent, i dont mean to sound upset - i just find it frustrating that people "know" so much about the car sales profession, but they have never been in it. its just from their once every 3 years experience in buying a car that they come to these conclusions. again, no harsh feelings - i just wish there were better understanding on both sides!

good luck with your purchase keith! I hope you get a fair deal :-)
  • Options
    hnguyen6_ushnguyen6_us Member Posts: 3
    thenebean,
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this "i just find it frustrating that people "know" so much about the car sales profession, but they have never been in it.".

So do we have to be a car salesman to buy car? for that matter to be a computer programmers to use a computer? ....

There are a whole lot of "sleazy" car salesman out there more than there are "nice" one. And they will take advantage of the buyers every single chance they can.

If you "wish there are better understanding on both sides", then maybe the automobile profession has to revamp the whole selling process. Not to sock it to the buyers every chance they get. Until then, buyers will have to come in the showroom with a whole lot of skepticism and a whole lot of information on hand just to be on even level.

titaneese,
    I bought my Titan 04 SE crewcab back on 8/04 and I got it for $600 below invoice and 1.9% APR. Sounds like you are right at the ballpark. I would work it from that number.

One note, make sure when you negotiate, give them the DRIVE OUT PRICE, not the final price of the car. Been to too many deals where they agreed with the final car price and socked me with document fee this, extra charge that.

So good luck and update us on what you got.
  • Options
    jhs70jhs70 Member Posts: 213
    thenebean, you certainly seem like a reasonable person, but surely you must understand why people get so agitated at this process. It wasn't the consumer who set the rules of the car buying game, yet we are forced to learn the rules and try to bend the rules to our advantage, just like you use the rules to your advantage. It's only natural. And I thing buyers get especially worked up over it precisely because they do not apply the rules but once every three, four, or five years. Now, that said, what works for me is to not approach this as adversarial to the point where words and fists fly, but instead I try to arm myself with facts that I can use in the buying process. That way I have a much better understanding of the dynamic and what's "fair". Thanks for listening.
  • Options
    Thenebean, thank you very much for your response. I appreciate your opinion & your right I just try to become a good negotiator when I have to about every 3-4 years when I buy a car for the wife or myself. Yes there is a lot of skepticism out there about the car sales Business. I do believe the guys at the Nissan store I went to here in Oklahoma city are good guys & they realize an informed buyer when they see one. Thenebean if you don't mind please address my numbers I put down, for example is holdback 3% because thats the numbers I saw in their computer.

Oh by the way I received an E-mail today from the same guys.

MSRP is $33800
    purchase price $28893 NO FEES
    this is $4907 off of MSRP

Thenebean, you are welcome to vent anytime & there is no animosity here towards you or your profession.

Good luck & thanks in advance for your response.

Keith
  • Options
    i'm not saying that you need to be a salesperson to know how to buy cars, or a programmer to use computers. thats not the point i was making. but people seem to think all these things about the car business that just arent true. i really wish there was tons of money behind even holdback that we got - but there is not. sometimes, the factory will have a special little bonus if its trying to hit a target on a particular model...but thats not too often. generalizing that there are more "sketchy" dealerships than nice ones is not true either. have you been to all of them to see for yourself? the only thing you can comment on is the experiences you HAVE had, and let people do the same. putting generalizations on something you have not had the opportunity to be on the other side of is unfair.

let me ask you a question, have you ever bought a tv? a big nice tv? i was shocked to find out that a tv has a 100% markup to it - and that most people pay that markup! i am just curious as to how you see that as not being ripped off. car dealerships have a 10% markup at most (not including holdback which makes it maybe at most a total $13%) what would you think is a fair percentage of profit?

i cannot speak for, or condemn previous practices of the automotive sales industry - but if you are educated (see my post in Purchasing strategies) you will be fine. trying to come in and take every penny of holdback, invoice, and then some isnt going to make the process any smoother for you or the dealership. sorry this is so long - its tough to make the consumers understand when they have been nervous and scared for so long - and rightfully so. please understand i am just trying to share this side of the story so people know how it works.

keith,

as far as your titan, i think i had said invoice on that truck was about 28400. based on what we are selling them for, if it is a truck that is readily available, you should be able to get them to invoice - especially if it is in stock. if its a tougher vehicle to find, a couple of hundred over, or even a hundred over invoice would be a fair deal. could you grind them for more? almost always - but then the process becomes unpleasant for both sides. you'd be surprised at the kind of service you get from a dealer down the road if you make the purchasing experience pleasant and fair! we've had people who we worked a really fair and non-confrontational deal with come in down the road with an issue or request, and we jump all over it for them and have it done yesterday.

it depends on what you want to do. again, you can probably get a couple hundred more off - and have a great truck for a great price!

oh, btw, have them list out all their fees before you agree to anything. and have them do it in writing (email) and not on the phone - that way you are covered!

hope that helped!

-thene
  • Options
    If you are asking $26,048 after $1500 rebate on a $33,800, that price is a stretch. Aim for $5.5K off MSRP including $1500 rebate, or OTD $28,300. Since your final offer is $28,100, that price is doable.....(for sure).

On the other hand, I know a dealer that is selling two 2004 Titan LE CC for $25,888 (brand new). I"m not sure what options the truck has.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    This really isn't the topic to have a general conversation about pricing & negotiating strategy. Please continue on the Smart Shopper board instead.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Thene, I appreciate your response & I understand you say a tv has a 100% markup but I am trying to purchase a truck & unfortunately trucks are negotiable instead of a set price. We all want to avoid that feeling of I got ripped because they only discounted my vehicle by $2000 & my neighbor bought the same truck for $5500 off. You should be able to see how these feeling get created.

I have offered to buy the truck for
    $28100 NO FEES
    their response $28893 NO FEES
    this is $4907 off of MSRP - MSRP is $33800

hvan says 28300 is reasonable even the dealer should see I'm in the ballpark. I'm not trying to be unreasonable just do the best I can. My personal target was $5000 off Msrp and hvan I think says shoot for $5500 off msrp.

I completely appreciate all of you guys responses & when I close the deal in the next couple of days I'll write all about it.

thanks, Keith