Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara Convertible - 2004 and Newer

Comments

• droptopmandroptopman Member Posts: 2
    I've had a 2004 Solara Convertible for a couple of months and like everything about it... except for the driver's seat. Much firmer, stiffer, and more uncomfortable than my 2000 solara convertible. Thought it would get better by now, but no. Hurts my butt! Anybody else notice this?
  • owlowl Member Posts: 5
    When I first got my car I thought that I would have some difficulty with the blind spots while reversing - not so. Use the rear window and mirrors and with care you should have no difficulty.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    I live in southern Connecticut. While i seriously doubt these things are rolling at full ADM, i doubt the dealership is letting them go at a nickel over either. ADM's are a pretty commom practice with larger volume Toyota stores and generally the closing focus tends to be on a monthly payment as opposed to the actual selling price of the vehicle.
    Usually, if a question comes up about the actual selling price, the response is "we discounted several thousand off of the window sticker". This technique almost always protects the gross in a high demand vehicle.
  • ronposnerronposner Member Posts: 1
    Purchased my Solara convertible in Cleveland at the only dealer to give a discount for internet sales. Saved $400 and they also gave me $1000 more for my trade in of a 2003 Volvo XC90 T6 SUV with 13000 miles on it than any other dealer would
  • droptopmandroptopman Member Posts: 2
    Anyone else find the driver's seat uncomfortable?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    I thought it was comfortable during the few short test drives I did. Seemed to have decent thigh support (a reasonably long cushion), and overall decent shape. Power lumbar was kinda neat too, but would be even better if it moved up and down like on an Audi.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• currybobcurrybob Member Posts: 3
    I feel the seats are very comfortable. I have the power seats and don't know if that is the difference. Averaging 27 mpg's (87 Octane) with an even mix of driving. Top is down all the time unless it's raining. Like everyone else I haven't found the back window to be a problem after you drive it awhile you just use you mirrors more and take a little extra time backing. I love the way the wind is not too much while driving with the top down. Quality interior materials. Strong stereo. Very smooth V6. Paid $1100 below list price but I'm in the SE and there is a $695 charge for all vehicles for glass etching, under coating and paint sealant. Back window has not turned to jelly and don't worry about anyway with the 3 year bumper to bumper. We usually trade just before the warranty runs out. My wife is the main driver and she loves the car. We started leaving the seat belts out of the guide on the seats and find it easier to pull the seat belt that through that badly designed belt holder. The car still draws lots of attention where ever we go.

Bob
  • rudy331rudy331 Member Posts: 27
    Had the car in for service on the top yesterday. They've indicated it is definitely a cable but none to be found in the U.S.--have to order from Japan. Although I've shown them the messages from this forum they are not even suggesting replacing entire top. I did notice when we picked it up though it is worse from them working on it and now the driver side is slightly loose as well. Will start calling this AM to hound them about fixing. What area are you in? I'm in Wash, D.C. area. They've indicated that they will be having someone from Central Atlantic Toyota help them with the repair. Guess it is better to have someone knowledgeable about it rather than their service guy that does oil changes.
    Japan for parts? What do they have to do with it? The car is built in Ky and the I believe the top assy is buit by a supplier in the US, definitely NOT Toyota.
    You are geting the run-around. Who at the dealership level has any experience in top repair? Probably no one. First step: contact the regional dealer service rep. Judging from the few posts about the problem, Toyota is aware of it, you just need to make the factory aware of yours.
  • owlowl Member Posts: 5
    I'm located in British Columbia, Canada. My dealer had no hesitation in contacting Toyota re this problem and the new top is on its way. I agree, I think you are getting a run around and you should keep the pressure on to get the service that you deserve.
  • vr4vr4 Member Posts: 2
    I've ordered mine (SLE, convertible, Pearl White, NAV, 18" wheels, Michelin tires) two weeks ago and it just hit port today. It should be in my town by tomorrow. I'm very excited! As for the MSRP, I got mine $1200 less then sticker and got all those extras. I've been looking around to see what the 18" wheels looks like, but no one has pictures.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Hit port? They are made in Kentucky. Who is telling you that it "hit port"?
  • plengpleng Member Posts: 14
    I am enjoying my new red SE with the black top. It is my first convertible, and it sure is fun. Only one concern in the first 600 miles - We were loaned a Highlander with 1200 miles on it and seemed much peppier that the Solara! The HL would downshift and rev up very responsively, but my convertable hesitates to downshift and then the revs build slower. All this while I am still feeding more throttle, and then more power comes on than I originally wanted. I now have to lift the gas. Is this something that will go away as the engine loosens up, or does the car need adjusting?
  • vr4vr4 Member Posts: 2
    Only certain models are made in Kentucky. Like BMW, some models are manufactured in Greenville SC and other models are manufactured overseas. I believe for Toyota the 4-Runner, Solara, and another model is produced overseas and the rest is produced in Kentucky.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    is a slang term used in the southeast which means it arrived at the distribution center either in Commerce, Ga. or Jacksonville, Fl. (which is the port facility where all of the imported vehicles arrive). I agree that the dealer should have been more descriptive to the buyer but I don't think any major harm has been done.
    Dude, the car is built in Georgetown, just like every other Solara, Camry, Avalon and Hylander. "1" as the first digit in the vin indicates country of origin, as the good 'ole USA.
    I do not believe Toyota is importing any Camrys from Japan anymore.
    The Solara ragtop is actually the first Toyota to be completely penned in California and mfd. in Kentucky, making it the first "true" American japanese car.
    As far as BMW, Spartanburg builds the X5 and the Z4 only. There are a few 3-Series built in South Africa, but generally do not show up on US shores.
    Thanks for all the replies. After 3 days and numerous voice mail messages to the Asst. Service Manager I finally was able to speak to him (although he never returned any calls). My last message was to indicate I was contacting the regional rep. for Toyota. Now he tells me that initially when the top problems were found, the quickest and easiest fix was to replace the entire unit. He indicated that when Toyota becomes aware of an issue they try to correct it as quickly as possible, then they investigate to find out why its happening and the best way to economically fix the problem. Now they have the cables needed being shipped as necessary and that Central Atlantic Toyota (the regional "experts") will be assisting them with the repair when the cable arrives. He indicated that CAT actually employs the experts that meet with the Engineers at Toyota as well as perform training to Toyota technicians. Cable should be in about 2 weeks due to the rising number of problems and that complaining directly to Toyota regional center MAY result in an extended warranty. Will keep everyone up-to-date as the saga unfolds. The real kicker was that he told me I had too much time on my hands to be as informed as I was!!!! Other than that I love my SLE.
    I was able to get my SLE (minus NAVI and 18" wheels) for $29,500. Sticker was almost $32k. Have not seen the 18" wheels but would be anxious to see them as well. The standard SLE wheels are about the only thing I don't like about it--think they could have been a little nicer, but they are almost identical to the wheels on the 04 Lexus RX330 (my stepdaughter's).
  • rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    It's interesting seeing the various good (and not so good) deals people are getting on the Solara convertible, but I think it would help prospective buyers if they knew where the deals are.

If you mention the price you paid for the car in a post, it would really help others if they lived in your area if they knew what dealer, or at least what city has the best deals available.
    Just an idea,
    Rick
  • solara4solara4 Member Posts: 12
    I assume that the deals for the 2004 Solara convertible will get better and better as the summer goes on. I assume that Toyota will eventually ramp up the supply from 200 a week and demand for a 2004 convertible would logically decrease by the middle of the summer.
    Vr4, that is so wrong. There are no Solaras that are built anywhere but Kentucky. They don't "import" Solaras here because they were designed in California for the US market only.
  • redhotredhot Member Posts: 4
    Just brought home my Red SLE Nav from Temecula Toyota. It was a demo with 900 miles, They discounted it $2,000 to $30,200. I was very excited, since I could not find one anywhere in San Diego.

My question is, do you all think I should purchased the extended warranty for $1,500 and Lojack for $695. I'm leaning towards the Lojack.

Thanks for any input.
    My SLE with VSC/traction (no navi) was $29,500 at Toyota of Bowie in Bowie, MD. Of course, they didn't jump to offer that price so I had to haggle. I think it also helped that the GM wanted my trade (03 Acura MDX with only 23,000 miles).
    Your logic is flawed because regardless of model year, demand still far outstrips supply. Even at 200 units per week, which they are still not building to, they are not reaching demand for the product. As i have mentioned in the past, your best bet is the smaller "b" dealers that see this type of inventory as a risk especially as the summer wanes.
    Look, the big metro dealers get the inventory and the traffic, so to expect to get a good deal from one of them, forget it, someone will pay sticker (or above) to get into the car.
    Search your geographic area for a smaller, more obscure dealer that might have one coming in or one on the ground that they just want to move.
    Notice where the dealers are that the "deals" are being reported on, for the most part, not your metro dealers.
    Also, when posting prices paid, to keep the playing field even, post the transaction price WITH any pacs, i saw a post recently with someone saying what a great dela thay got...but spent six hundred bucks on rust and dust...sorry pal, but that just gets added to the gross.
  • solara4solara4 Member Posts: 12
    You may be right but that is a scary thought that someone would have to pay sticker on a 2004 at the end of the summer because they won't be able to get delivery on a 2005 for many months.
    Simple economic principle of supply and demand. Try and find a 350z roadster. Worse, not only are there no deals, there are no cars!
    This is nothing new though, the old, inferior, solara ragtop was the same way right up until it went outa production.
    Bottom line: production numbers were almost nil. Even with tepid demand, the vehicle was almost impossible to find.
  • southerngalsoutherngal Member Posts: 5
    I'm glad y'all were able to get your Camry Solara convertibles. I've given up on Toyota. When they first came to the US to sell in the early 1970s, they were begging folks to buy, and the deals and cars were excellent. We were one of their first customers and bought a Corolla Station Wagon for $4000. Loved it to death and never had any problems (except when some idiot put cardboard in the gas tank -- but that's another story). After seven years with a body that was rusting out my husband insisted we needed a four-wheel drive car and I sold it for $2500 cash. Every since, we have been trying to buy Toyotas (minivan, convertibles, SUV)and basically we've found that arrogance rules at dealers all over the country (we've lived in 10 states). This latest go round was for the Camry Solara convertible. No dealer in the Birmingham, Alabama, area would allow us to test drive one and informed us that everyone was just buying them "off the sticker" which is Southern for no test drive and sticker price, no deals. Gee, guys, I have never and will never pay sticker price, even for a Toyota. We ended up with a gorgeous convertible by another manufacturer with all the bells and whistles and some features Toyota didn't offer for less and love it. Since we keep our cars an average of 8-10 years, trade-in price isn't a big deal for us. Point is, though, if you want a deal (of sorts) you will probably only get one at a small dealership in the sticks that might have some inventory and you might even have the choice of more than one color. But don't count on it. Toyota makes a great product but they just seem to want to wear out their welcome. I hesitated to comment on this site since we aren't current owners of a Toyota, but just thought you should know that what you're experiencing has become the norm. And, yes, as far as fixing a Toyota, you have to be persistent. They're great cars but too many dealers don't have folks trained to do a proper job -- a holdover from the old days. By the way, my youngest son and his wife just bought a 2004 Camry at a fantastic deal but that was due to overstock in our area. I know they'll love their car because they know what to expect.
    Lemme guess, you ended up with a Sebring...great, enjoy it..BUT understand, if Chrysler dealers were granted about 1 Sebring per month, you would more than likely experience the same buying experience. I have been on these threads for what seems like centuries preaching the basic economic theory of supply and demand. You cannot blame the dealer or the mfr. for that matter for a product that is in very high demand in the marketplace.
    I remember doing deals on ML320's back in the late '90's when there was a 4 month waiting list and the dealer told the consumer what color they were most likely to get. That is just the way it was. Today, dealers are choking on ML350's.
    This weekend, while i was waiting for an oilchange, i saw a ragtop with a $7500 markup on the SOLD line. I guess someone really had to have it!
    I have to agree with Tyre. I mean please, these people are out there to make money.

Scenario: You are going to sell your used xyz model car. You know it's in high demand so you put it in the paper for high blue book (or more!). If you know there many people just waiting to get their hands on the car for the full price, you are going to "be arrogant" and brush off the person that calls you offering lower right?

And, let's be honest, since you got the Sebring you really aren't the kind of person who would see the value in the Solara. I've rented many, many of those and trust me, you won't be keeping that one for "8-10 years" (and loving it, anyways).
  • indykenindyken Member Posts: 6
    Hi. There won't be a lot of controversy, yelling, screaming, sniping in this post.

I just want to say I am absolutely in LOVE with my new car. I have had it since June 12, a red sle with grey interior and black top.

As I have gotten used to it a little, I am really happy with the pick-up, brakes, and general luxury feel. I am stared at constantly, which was a little strange at first, but now am getting used to it a little. I've only seen one or two others on the roads in Indy, so people are naturally curious. I hope that it stays a rarity, it's kind of fun.

Everything works well, it feels solid, and I'm getting about 27 MPG (even with the top down). This is with 87 octane and mostly freeway driving.

Just thought I'd let you know. If you're considering one...buy it. I paid about 600 under sticker...but I would have paid full sticker. However...I don't think I would have gone over sticker. It's a cool car, but come on! Once you're in the low 30's you have other options.

Good luck, and keep us posted on problems that pop up!

Ken
    Totally agree, even at $32.2k w/nav, the car is a bargain. Although, at this pricepoint, there really is not anything else in the marketplace that is a worthy comparo. The Europeans are in the low $40's and there is nothing from our soil that compares. Sure, you can get a Sebring at a great discount, but you get what you pay for. One thing that is pretty much guaranteed with a low production run is the fact that you will not see yourself coming and going on every street corner.
    Last (reported) week Toyota built 725 Solaras, if they are building at a 25% conv. to coupe ratio, they only built 182 convertibles.
    For comparos, Cadillac built about 110 xlr's last week. How often do you see one of them?
    As long as the numbers are flying, DCX built about 1150 Sebrings and just under 1200 PT Cruiser droptops last week.
    Btw..these numbers are provided weekly in the Automotive News.
  • southerngalsoutherngal Member Posts: 5
    I had to laugh at all the controversy I apparently created. I WAS NOT being facetious when I congratulated y'all on your new Toyotas. Yes, Toyota was very savvy in its marketing of the Solara convertible, both for waiting to introduce it mid-year and limiting its production run. No, I do not resent them trying to make money. To correct your one error, these cars are made on good ole US soil -- and good for Toyota! I'm also impressed that y'all went to my profile to figure out what convertible we did buy. As for keeping it a long time, I heard the same thing when we bought a 1992 Ford Mustang convertible and kept it 12 years. It is the car we traded in and I had to pry my husband out of it. There was only one identical to it in the Birmingham, Alabama, area. My point was that I have always loved Toyotas and I have been very disappointed in the company not showing at least some loyalty to those of us who gave them their start in this country's market. Silly little ole me. Anyway, buying a car isn't, for me, a competition. I use Edmunds.com to find a car that will give me what I want for good value. Dealerships do make a difference. The largest Toyota dealership here is known by my friends who own Toyotas as "the dark place." So, you should feel very good if you have a good dealership. I truly do wish y'all well and would really like to see some pictures of your cars. But I'm afraid to sign onto this site again lest I whip up a frenzy once more. One last thought. At least my comments made y'all actually stop and think about the happiness yours cars are bringing you, and isn't that a good thing? Now you know that, regardless of price, you feel good about the money you spent and the pleasure you're getting. So, for now, happy riding.
  • redhotredhot Member Posts: 4
    Is it just me, or does anybody else cares that you cannot roll the rear windows independently. When the roof is up, one kid wants the window down and the other one wants it up. We have had the car a week and just love it. Took a cruise to Coronado Island this weekend and just drove around. Felt great.

Tyresmoker-can you please provide a link to Automobile News. Thanks
    Automotive News is a trade pub not generally available to the public. if you go to automotivenews.com, i think the production table is available on a pdf on a section of their "free" site..most of the content is password protected.
    Also, i carefully worded "US soil" as a reference to the now defunct "big 3", since DCX is owned by the Germans.
    As far as the windows, the kids should be thrilled that ma & pa kettle bought such a cool car to cart them back and forth to little league!!
  • toppertopper Member Posts: 13
    I'm located in Phoenix, AZ. We have the same top problem with our 2004 Solara Convertible on the passenger side. Our dealer had no hesitation in contacting Toyota re this problem after taking a couple days to look at it closely and the new top has been "on it's way" for 6 weeks now. Much longer than the 2 weeks we were told it would take. My question is has anyone had this top problem fixed by Toyota and is the new top working properly?
    No fix yet. I'm in Washington, D.C. area. I'm not sure if I'm relieved to hear that others are having the same delay problem or not. Although they have told me that Toyota has now decided the more frugal (and supposedly better approach) to repair this problem is to replace the cable I've been waiting now for almost 2 weeks for the new cable. I'm waiting til Tuesday and contacting Toyota directly to complain. I'm also going to complain and demand until they provide an extended warranty since the vehicle is only 2 months old and I consider a top malfunction on a convertible a major component. Who knows what will happen 3 years from now after standard warranty has expired. It's very frustrating to say the least. Keep us posted on your wait and/or repair.
    Still no fix, but we called again to the service manager at our dealer to ask the delivery status of our new top. Now he is telling us that the top has been discontinued by Toyota and that they have had to order certain parts, the infamous cables, to repair the top. We were told that the cables should arrive this week. I have not appreciated the delays and misinformation that we have been fed on this issue. If the cables do not arrive this week, we will be contacting Toyota directly to follow up on this as well. I'll keep you posted and if anyone else has additional information then please post it here.
  • goshawk823goshawk823 Member Posts: 3
    What does "top has been discontinued" mean? Are they redesigning it? Are they gettng them from some other supplier?

I'm really interested in knowing what's going on, since I'm planning a test drive in one...
    thanks,
    Well I don't think a top cable malfunction will have any adverse effects on your test drive experience, but wear a helmut anyhow in case one of those pesky cables decides to snap...

It sounds to me like the mfr. has found a fix for the cable WITHOUT changing the whole top. Keep in mind, Toyota is in the business to make $$ as well as keep their customers satisifed. I would imagine the whole top assy. costs them close to four figures, so changing out the entire part every time a cable snaps would not be prudent to the bottom line.
    Does it stink? Yes, but remember we all bought the "first ones off the truck", and even Toyota sometimes does not get all the kinks out before delivering early production vehicles to the consumer.
    Tyresmoker-
    I just like to be aware of issues, especially on new (year 1)models, that may factor into a decision to buy/not buy. Considering the top of a convertible is a fairly significant aspect of the package ;-) I would like to know if it's something to be wary of...

I've seen other discussion topics about BMW 3 series convertibles vs. Solara vs. Saab vs....Anyone here looked at them first?

Like someone else posted here earlier, I want to like the Solara, but I'm also carting a family in it more than occasionally, and safety is something else I factor in. WIth no rollover protection on the Solara, that's something else I'm considering. But it's a whole lot less expensive than the BMW too...
    I'm new at convertibles, so this is all new research for me.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    IIRC, the rollover hoops are built into the rear (non removable) headrests, one reason that they are so pronounced. So, it does have the same (similar) level of protection as the Euros, just not the fancy pop up hoops (and who wants to find out id they really work??)

At least with the Toyota, they are always "on", and of course in the way.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

You are exactly right (at least from what I'm being told). Any time Toyota discovers a problem (i.e., broken cables) they do whatever they can to complete an immediate fix. Once they see that it is happening more often then they reevaluate and their technical reps (on the East Coast it is Central Atlantic Toyota) go back to the engineers and find a better more frugal solution to the problem. While it makes sense and to some point explains the delay, it is still very frustrating to all of us experiencing this problem. Going on week 3 now and still no word. I'm calling dealer again today and directly to Toyota to see if that will get some response. All in all we still love this vehicle and are very happy with our decision. Will keep everyone posted with any info I am able to find.
    Don't forget the Audi as well, probably the closest competitor since it can be equipped nicely with a transaction price @=/-$38k. The best rollover protection I have ever seen is right in the drivers seat, the connection between the gas pedal and the steering wheel. Simple, dont operate the vehicle beyond its limitations and it will keep all four corners planted where they belong. VSC will help you do that as well.
    I dont know about you, but kids in the back seat of a 3-series is wishful thinking.
    The SAAB, while a nice package, is simply overpriced by about $10k.

One thing to keep in mind too is once mfrs like Toyota find a probelm and a fix, they incorporate it into production asap rather than let it lag. While i am sure this is not the last problem that the car will encounter, it is pretty safe to assure that by the time you decide to buy one, this problem will be corrected on the particular unit that you purhase.
  • 04indysolara04indysolara Member Posts: 1
    Can you expect a ~$30k to compare with a ~$55k vehicle's audio system? The Lexus' SC Mark Levinson system is superb as you've noted. Most folks probably don't have a home systems that sound that nice. (Well, maybe those who can afford a Lexus SC430) The system was boasted on "MTV's Cribs" as "the first car audio system I didn't have to replace." (I'm sorry, I forgot what Rap music artist made that statement.) The point is, Toyota certainly didn't spend Mark Levinson money on the JBL system but, it sounds good to me. I'm impressed that I can actually hear the bass when the top is down and I'm on the road. (And I didn't have to upgrade it.)
    I don't mean to be negative about the Solara. We did buy the first one of the truck, literally. The GM told us we were the first to own the convertible in Phoenix. We test drove a hard top because the convertibles were still in their wrapping paper. We absolutely love this car! My wife and I had just started car shopping and this was the first vehicle we looked at. We were so impressed that we purchased on the spot. We couldn't have bought a better convertible for the price (unless we got a solara with a top that worked). I do trust that Toyota will resolve this issue, but it is better for all of us to actively pursue the issue in order to get results sooner rather than later. The wind noise is a minor annoyance, but I am more concerned with the monsoon season that just started here in Phoenix. Luckily, knock on wood, we've had no rainy days to test the roof in as of yet.
  • rksolararksolara Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have any comments on the effectiveness of the optional windscreen for the 04 Solara convertible? Saw one in the trunk of an undelivered Solara convertible at the dealer - it didn't look very substantial for the $395 list price.
    tyresmoker-
    just wanted to clarify- these are two teens in the backseat of the 3 series; no child seats required. (dropping off to school, sports, etc...)

thanks for the info on the Audi, and to others about the built in rollover protection.
    Just got a call from dealer. The cables arrived yesterday via fedex. They will be replacing the cables on both sides in accordance with Toyota instructions. They apparently have redesigned the cables and don't want these issues to arise again. Schedule to take in on Monday morning for repair and they indicate they feel pretty confident I'll have it back by late afternoon. We'll see how it works and if it makes a difference. I'll keep you posted.
    Exactly, even worse than child seats is the lack of legroom in the 3-series. Even with the seats in a "normal" position, there is little to no room back there.
    Before i dropped that kinda cake on a 3, i would search for an '01 or '02 CLK 320 cab. They are out there in the mid to high $30's.
    Keep in mind a new 3 bodystyle is due out this fall, so in either case you would be driving an outgoing model.
  • diver577diver577 Member Posts: 3
    I have a new 2004 Camry Solara Convertible --1600 miles(most back and forth to the dealer) and already have had two of the tires fail. Not in the tread it is ruptures in the sidewall. The tires are the 17" Bridgestone Turanza tires that came with the vehicle. It seems rather strange to me that this would happen considering my wife and I had never experienced this with our other vehicles. Has anyone heard of or experienced any problems with the tires on this vehicle. Otherwise, our SLE is fine but we are becoming weary of driving it because we fear for our safety if these failures were to happen at high speed.

Toyota has told me not their problem! I would appreciate any feedback