Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara Convertible - 2004 and Newer

Comments

• rgihlergihle Member Posts: 7
    Thank you! I told my dealer what you said. They seemed to understand how the placement of everything could do that. They asked if I could still stand to wait (I said yes) because they are still trying to pin Toyota down to what the real fix is (whether it is the cables or something else in addition). They are also checking into the TSB that says there is a tonneau cover improvement (I don't know what the improvement is, do you?)
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    The TSB for the tonneau cover is just some instructions to move the hooks on front ends so that it attaches tighter.
  • anniezmaanniezma Member Posts: 20
    I'm about to purchase a Solara Convertible...I have a 4 year old grandchild..and would like to buy a car seat!...any suggestions?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm going to move the posts about the Toyota Highlander to the Highlander: problems and solutions forum, since this forum is for the Solara only.

thank you

MrShiftright
    Host
  • vargvarg Member Posts: 12
    Why? If you read my post it applies to the Solara as well.
  • bailey1bailey1 Member Posts: 6
    Hey - I am considering buying an '04 SLE and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge regarding the "Passenger Air Bag On" light on the dash. Is there a way to manually disable it? Also, is there an interior light adjustment? I cannot seem to read the LED on the dash during the daytime when I am wearing my polarized sun glasses. And lastly, is it a major pain to pull little kids out of the back seat when the top is up?

Thanks for any input/advice.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    There is no way to disable the airbag on the passenger side. About 60 lbs. is the threshold that will activate the airbag.
    The back seat is not a problem as long as you remember it is not a minivan. Putting the seats in with the top up is a bit of a hassle but you can fix that in about 10 seconds. Using the valet feature on the passenger seat makes it pretty easy for the kids to get in and out of the car.
    Not sure what you mean about disabling the "Passenger Air Bag" light. If there is no one in the passenger seat, the message will state "Passenger Air Bag Off". If there is someone in the Passenger seat, the message will state "Passenger Air Bag On".
    Having only been on one test-ride with the salesman, I didn't notice that the light turned off when no one was sitting there. It is interesting that the airbag is weight-sensitive. I wonder if it would be safe to let a kid ride up front if she were under 60 (?) lbs. (on a special occasion, of course).

What of the interior light adjustment? Is there one?

Thanks for taking the time.
    From the owners manual: If the front passenger does not activate the "Passenger Airbag On" notification, they should ride in the back seat.
    Okay - thanks. That answers that question (my Dad bought a Corvette last year with the ability to disable the passenger air bag so that his grand children could ride in the car with him, so I was curious if this car had the same option).

Now, do you have any knowledge in regards to the LED on the dash? Can it be brightened/adjusted manually? Or is it a pre-set?

Thanks!
  • wjovelwjovel Member Posts: 17
    Hi, i live in the Washington DC try state area and I am ready to purchase my solara, but i find that dealers want MSRP for it... my god i love the car but i am nor willing to pay MSRP for it, any help in this area. Today Carmax in Laurel got two 2005 SLE and they tell me $100.00 only from MSRP.. is this crazy or what???? remember few years back with the PT crucer???? now they are given them away... I keep hoping to land one in the next to weeks.
  • solara4solara4 Member Posts: 12
    They are in very short supply so this doesn't surprise me. If you do get lucky and get $600-$700 taken off, make sure it's not because they're getting you on the trade-in.

Other people on this board have suggested that you might want to try dealers away from the urban centers. I guess you'd agree on most things over the phone before driving the big distance.
    I picked up my 2005 Absolutely Red/Ivory, SLE Convertible with Nav & VSC yesterday afternoon! What a great car! So far it is exceeding all of my expectations. The fit/finish are certainly on par with my '04 Lexus RX330.

One thing though. There is NOT a 6 disc changer in the console included with NAV as it says on the website "MSRP sticker".

I'm not too concerned but I was hoping.
    PT Cruiser = 180k units per year.
    Solara convertible = 13k units of production per year.
    It is going to be awhile before you see these cars "stacked up" w/ discounts and rebates on them.
    Sure, us east coasters will see discounts on them in February, but why wait? Miss the rest of the summer & fall seasons to save five hundred bucks?
    congrats on the '05...btw..power passenger seat??
    Nope. Just like the "New Equipment" document in Toyota Tech stated "No changes from '04".

But it's ok because I love it!

By the way, I was supposed to pay MSRP but I actually got it for $200.00 cheaper because we had agreed on a price when we thought I was getting a 2004. The 2005's were $200.00 more but they wrote up the contract for the MSRP that we originally agreed upon.

Also, I've heard some things here about Toyota but I can say that was one of the best experiences I've had, especially in the F&I department. I was never even asked if I wanted to add on any "extras" which I was very impressed with. In and out of F&I in less than 20 minutes, including them searching and finding a better rate than the 3.95% I already had gotten through my credit union.
    I know that, Saturday i drove one SE Lunar Mist and i like it a lot it had MSRP of $27,799.00 they will take $700.00 off, I offer them $26,000.00 and they did not take it or counter offer. They tell me that starting with 2005 they only will make SLE's???? anybody know anything about this??? So i guess if i want to have it that bad i will need to pay the $2000.00 over invoice which will kill me i have bought plenty of new cars and never pay close to sticker price for them, Winter is coming maybe i get lucky.
    Buy the way, I am Buying my Cash and without trade and they still wont come down.. it is crazy... will keep trying but honesty i am Started to cave in today i am looking at the Mustang 2004 with $2500.00 rebate and can get one new for $23,000.00.. or a used ford Thunderbird 03 for $28,000.00 with 11000 miles... I wont give up yet..
    Boy that is sound thinking, buy a car that either a) you dont want or b) a used car that you dont want either, because the numbers sound better.
    Here is a little investment advice. While any of our four wheeled friends are simply appreciating liabilities, one can minimize the "whack" by looking at the whole picture. Take a look at the residuals on the three mentioned cars and look at total cost of ownership...The Toyota will come out WAY ahead.
    Cash buyer? Big deal. With next to free money out there why would you dump so much liquid in such a purchase? And if your answer is that you are a big spender, spend a little more and get the leather seats...who drives a convertible with cloth seats anyhow?
    tyresmoker, Thank for your advice i will think about what you said. i did not want to come as a big spender, just borrow the money so i can have a tax deduction. thanks for the advice again there is a reason why a own 3 more toyotas.. i love them and they are reliable and you right is been 13 years since i own one of the 3 American car manufactories. so maybe i will spend the extra $1000.00 and get what i really want
    Well I have been thoroughly impressed by the service I have gotten from my Toyota dealer. It's not much less than my Lexus I bought in April.

When I picked up the car on Sunday, I noticed some white dots that looked like maybe overspray from something on the hood. The guy who delivered the car (works with my salesman who isn't there on Sundays) told me "No problem, just bring it in on Monday and we'll get those off and give you a good wax job." I think I said before my time in F/I was less than 20 minutes and no "You really should get..." crap.

Well I didn't make it in on Monday but went in on Tuesday. He gave me the keys to my salesman's demo and sent me on my way. 2.5 hours later I got a call and picked up my newly waxed (and all white spots gone) car. While it was there they drove it and thought it shook a little too much (I hadn't noticed) so they balanced my tires and checked the alignment (I only had 70 miles it).

It has been a really good experience and I'm glad that I made this decision!

I'm also going to write the owner/GM.
  • ravenmaniacravenmaniac Member Posts: 8
    Like you, I live in the Baltimore-Wash area and
    am fundamentally opposed to paying MSRP. But after test driving several cars, I re-checked my list of "must haves and wants." Realized the Solara conv. had 99% of what I wanted and no other car is close to matching its features at that price... I paid a hair under MSRP in May.

Narrow your focus: what do you really want?
    Other cars you mentioned are very different: I belive the T-bird's only a 2-seater, and rear-drive?; while the Mustang is rear-drive, an older design, and less roomy than the Solara. Plus, even though I loved both Mustangs that I owned, Toyotas are generally more reliable than Fords.

By now, you probably can find a smaller dealer to knock off a few hundred $. If they won't, ask 'em to throw in free wheel locks, a car cover, oil changes, etc... anything to soothe your pain from paying MSRP.

Try this test: If you had done no homework and did not know MSRP vs invoice, would you be willing to pay $27-29k for this car?

I said yes, and asked "where do I sign?" Nearly everyone on this forum agrees the Solara offers great value for the money. And people are on waiting lists for the chance to pay MSRP.

By the way, save a few grand and get the SE. Contrary to another post, nothing wrong w/ cloth seats in a convertible.... Haven't seared my legs on hot seats and my shirt is not soaked w/ sweat by the time I reach my office!

Good luck!
    I think Chrysler is singlehandedly responsibe for introducing cloth seats in a ragtop. It might have started with that rich velour they used on everything except the ashtray liner back in the 80's. I see all of the rental Sebrings have cloth and pieplates today.
    Even Ford shys from Cloth in the Mustang and offers a fine grade of leatherette.
    The German strippers? Vinyl too.
    Interior cloth fabric and the sun just do not get along over time. Reminds me of dirty underpants.
  • lfmlfm Member Posts: 35
    Boy, if you want to save some money, you have to do some work!! I purchased my '04 SLE CONV. in April. I live in the PHILA. area, and the Dealers all wanted MSRP plus an Extras Package for $1k more than MSRP. I did some homework on line and Found a Black SLE with Nav and VSC at Diehl Toyota in Butler, PA.( about 20 miles north of Pittsburgh. I paid $2,200 off MSRP and didn't have to purchase any extras. I think it was worth the 350 mile drive from PHILA to save $3,200. Do a little searching, it won't kill you.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I have to wonder what a ripped and cracked leather interior reminds you of....

Cloth wears much better then any leather interior. Cloth may fade over many years of abuse, but leather fades, dries, cracks, and rips. Look at any older convertible with leather and you see a worn out interior. Not to mention the near burns a leather interior can inflict when left out in the sun with the top down or the sticky, sweaty sensation it causes. I think you are being much too harsh on cloth.
  • sosuesosue Member Posts: 3
    I a new to the forum. Having problems with my convertible - vibration in the steering wheel...took it to the dealer to have the tires balanced. Came back worse than before - the whole car shakes. Now they've decided my car has a "flex" problem and they've called Toyota. Waiting for the district guy to come drive it. While all convertibles have some flex, apparently mine has too much. The dealer is being rather evasive about the whole thing. I am not convinced the problem is entirely related to the flex...the car now "shimmies" when it goes down the road...it didn't act like that prior to the first tire re-balancing. I am concerned that it is a big enough problem that they've called Toyota and will not tell me if this problem is specific to my convertible or if they are seeing it across the board.

Anyone else having this issue?
    sounds like there is more than there should be. Matter of fact, I am a bit surprised as to the amount of shake produced over the smallest of bumps, but there is no constant or steady shake.

A family member has an SC430 and even that car has a fair degree of shake with the top stowed.

Anyway, if the factory is involved, dont worry until they figure what the problem is or is not. BE SURE TO DOCUMENT EVERYTHING, every conversation and contact etc.
    One more thing, try and drive another car, whether it be at the dealership you bought yours or another dealership (may have to act like a buyer again- whatever it takes) so that you can experience what the car should drive like, so that you may be able to dispute any "that is normal" claim.
    A am assuming that you bought a brand new "zero mile" car, not a demo or one with even a few (couple hundred) miles on the meter.
    Finally after weeks of looking for a deal, i was able to buy my solara 2004 that i wanted all along for $1200.00 under MSRP not a great deal but at the end i got what i really wanted and did not get something else. I never own a convertible before but i love the car 100% but getting use to that little shake when you go over small bumps and driving in the streets of Washington DC is been a experience but so far everybody that i know and owns a convertible tell me that the ways it is even like tysesmoker explain it the SC430 lexus does that to. but i guess over time i will get use to it and don't know about the noise with the top up, because i bought the car Wednesday night and i am jet to drive it like that it is so much fun with the top down that one they in the future i will drive it like that and see if everything is ok with the cables i hope since my car was made in June 04 they corrected the problem before they ship it. Toyota did it again!!! two weeks before i turn 50 i got my toy i always wanted... thanks to this forum at the end i was easy to decided what to buy thanks to everybody that took the time to write about their car experience. If i can help you and answer your question please feel free to do so.
  • maggieaprilmaggieapril Member Posts: 5
    Found this forum for the first time today and have just read thru all of the posts.

Topper, thanks for the info on the rattle, I am experiencing one in the same spot. Have printed your post to show the dealer.

Question for all owners: Has anyone purchased floor mats that fit well? Toyota wanted $205 for the mats although it looks (on the website) like they've dropped the price to $184. I think that's crazy. I don't need a trunk mat, just inexpensive, preferably beige, mats that fit the front well.

As an FYI, I purchased a 2004 SE for $400 off of MSRP in June. I shopped nearly the entire state of Florida and that was the best I could come up with.

Arctic Frost Pearl w/tan top, ivory interior. Had the upgraded stereo & power seat package (which I didn't want and the reason they discounted it a little.)

All of my research on convertible top care lead me to purchase RaggTopp cleaner and protectant which I used for the first time yesterday. Hope the protectant works well - it rains almost every day during the summer here.
  • robmat870robmat870 Member Posts: 11
    Hi, new here.

Having owned 3 previous convertibles (Sunbird, Sunfire and Sebring), I was shopping for a new one to replace my beloved Sebring that the wife made me trade in on our Pacifica last fall. I was all set to sign on the dotted line for a PT Cruiser convertible (I have the hardtop, and it's been a good car), when I decided to just look at the Solara. To my utter shock, a loaded SLE is the same price as a loaded Cruiser GT!

Dealers here in Minnesota generally have a couple of Solaras on the lot, but they cannot sell them, as they're owned by Toyota (not the dealership) and are only for test drives. Well, needless to say, after the test drive, I was hooked. Put money down last Saturday on a 2005 SLE (Lunar Mist/stone/black top), and now have to wait 60 to 90 days for it to be built. Apparently, the market here is as tight as everywhere. Trouble with having to order it, though, is that I WANT IT NOW!...Oh, well.
  • mickygmickyg Member Posts: 4
    I was supposed to get an '04 but when they ordered it they told me I would be getting an '05...not bad! The dealership I purchased from in Asheville NC automatically takes $1,000 off MSRP and the discount was a little more than that since they honored the price on the '04 model ($25,724/26,495 out the door). They told me it would take about 90 days, but it actually come in 30 days. They gave me an interest rate of 3.65% and I was in and out in about 20 minutes. I have not seen anything different about the '05 model, but it is an awesome car (Cosmic blue with black interior). I've noticed no shakes and it is extremely quiet with the top down. I took it out for a ride with my wife today and we passed by a family. The little girl standing there (must have been about 5) looked up to her parents, pointed to the car and said "I like that car" You know your car is styling when a 5 year old notices.
  • candycandy Member Posts: 4
    Just received my '04 SLE last week. Saw from an earlier posting that Toyota might have corrected body shake and top rattle problem in later productions. Mine was supposedly produced late July. Does have shake over bumpy roads but rides like a dream on a good paved road. Also, haven't noticed any unusual wind noise or rattle from convertible top. Has anyone heard that they might have fixed these problems? You know what they say, "if you go looking for trouble, you'll probably find it". And if the the shaking over bumps is normal for a convertible then I'll live with it. Haven't ever had a convertible so don't have any experience to draw on. On a side note, I was able to purchase my Solara through the Costco program in Sacto, CA and paid $1000 over dealer cost. Taking it on a trip to Idaho this week. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
    I believe we have one of the first ones as it was built on the 16th of March (job one was on or about Feb. 25th).
    Yes there is cowl shake. I believe it is within reason though, as I have driven many ragtops and some are worse (Volvo- sorry) and some are much better (and more $$).
    We have over 5k miles so far and (knock on wood) no abnomal wind noise. Candy- i agree with you, go looking for trouble and you will not come back empty handed.
    If a problem occurs though, i have complete confidence that my dealer will make good on it.
  • crimsonbladescrimsonblades Member Posts: 4
    I get my new 05 SLE convertible in two days and I have a few questions about it. I have scanned through the posts and was wondering if anyone has found a way to get the factory XM system for under the 600-700 range? Also, is TRD going to come out with a SC system for this car? thats the one thing I don't like about it, its slow. I still can't wait to get it though. Thanks
  • searlymansearlyman Member Posts: 1
    Interesting! I bought my 2005 convertible on Sunday 8/20 and have only 85 miles on it. I drove it after work today and had the same issue of the front shakes at speeds of 20-38mph on a side street. And that is why i was on the internet to see if I was just imaging this issue, before I take it in to the dealer. I have the Bridgestone tires on it and the deealer is going to be replacing them with Michelene tires next week. The Bridgestone tires seem to be great on dry roads, but loose traction in the rear on wet roads... hoping the Mich will do better on wet roads.
    I love everything else about the car... I had to people stop me and ask me how I liked it! My answer was to buy it.
    Slow? Then why did you buy it? You should have saved a few $$ and bought an outgoing Mustang GT or waited for a new one if you wanted to be first away from the stoplights.
    One thing the car is not is a racer, supercharger or not. It is basically a grocery getter with two less doors and a cloth roof. Why anyone would want to spend $1500-$2k on a blower is beyond me.
    i like to know that my self about the XM radio? do you have to go to the dealer to get it? or it can be activated from XM direct?? has anybody install XM radio on their solara convertible ? if so can you give us some Advice? thank you and advance.
    Slow??? maybe i am not a racer or I was use to my Solara 99 Coupe, But i find plenty power to enjoy my Convertible, in fact driving in the city with 225 HP is good for me. hope you get use to it and enjoy the car, i can get over the fact that from behind resemble the SC430, Sunday night at a cook out is was getting dark and couple people ask me how can afford a Lexus SC430. that say a lot for the looks of the car, the bottom on line I Love my car.
  • sosuesosue Member Posts: 3
    After two more days of runaround from the first dealer, I took the car to another dealer in the area that had been highly recommended (should have gone there first). They said there is a service bulletin out regarding Camry/Solara alignment problems. When the service manager drove my car he described the ride and vibration as "horrible" Sure enough, both the front and back end were way out of alignment. How I didn't notice is another question...but anyhow. The first dealer did not bother to check the alignment before rotating the tires, so they just made a bad situation worse. Got 4 new tires today, the SM just called to say the car is 100% better but it still vibrating and now has a "knocking" sound in the driver's side door of which they can't determine the source. He did say he drove a brand new Solara convertible on the lot and it rode just like mine after the new tires...if that is true that will be acceptable to me. Waiting for them to figure out this mysterious knock before I make the trip back out to see if the car rides. I live in Tennessee and had to get this car from a dealer in Georgia, as they were not to be found around here, so the car had approx. 180 miles on it when I picked it up...but it rode beautifully then...so...for those of you with fairly regular "shakes" in your car...have your alignment checked. The tire replacement is under warranty though since the alignment is a factory defect.
  • plengpleng Member Posts: 14
    We found a red with black top SE that we really liked except we wanted leather seats. The dealer sent the car to a local upholstery shop and had a leather seat kit installed, and the quality of the covering is very good. I was dubious, but the conversion turned out fine.

While getting fuel at a convenience store on the way to Destin for vacation, a customer leaving the store stopped in his tracks and shouted, "Man, that's a great looking car - what kind is it?" Made my day.
    The reason I bought it was because I like all the other aspects of the car: options, looks, fit and finish, not to mention Toyota quality. The reason I didn't get the mustang is that being 6'5" I don't fit in it. I just came from a Grand Prix GTP, so I miss the power.
    Funny you say that, i am the same height. Even though it is my wifes car, we needed a ragtop that I could drive as well. As far as power..the GTP is a 6.5 second car at best, so I am not sure why you think the Solara is a slouch in comparision.
    I recenlty rented a blown gtp from Avis and one thing I definitely noticed was the ridiculous noise that came from under the hood every time a got on it....maybe that is the problem, you need to get used to the fact that you dont need all that noise to get on down the road....
    You know I had a similar experience. Started looking at it in May when it came out. Seriously started contacting the internet salesguy in the beginning of July. On July 16th I went in and we agreed on a price (SLE w/ NAV & VSC) of MSRP. He found an '04 that would be here around the first week of August. He contacted me later that week and told me there was an identical '05 coming in August 20th. I chose that one. My car actually came in 8/14 and I picked it up 8/15.

Like you they honored the '04 price and, even though they were able to offer me (and I took) a 3.54% interest loan which was better than the 3.95% I had secured through my Credit Union, I was in and out of the F&I dept in less than 20 minutes.
    I just picked my Solara up today and I do agree with you about how quiet it is. I can't tell when its running at idle sometimes. As for my old GTP I had done a few mods to it to make it go faster, it would run in the mid to low 14's. After one day with the new car though I don't miss it at all. Amazing what a ragtop on a summer night in the 70's will do.

As for XM, the dealer told me today that there was a price drop on it, down to aprox $320 for it. Gettig it installed next week.
    Hmm. Where are you located? I'm interested for $320. Does that include installation? When I got mine a couple of weeks ago they quoted me $699 installed.

PMOTF :-)
  • toadtoad Member Posts: 1
    Picked up our 2004 solara convertible 3 weeks ago, pearl white with black top. We have a terrible rattle coming from the rear. Have removed everything from trunk and it still rattles. Seems to be coming from some "tie bars", (2) of them for convertible top in rear of trunk. Haven't had it back to the dealer yet. Has anyone else experienced this rattle and determined what it is?

Other than the rattle the car is quiet, not experiencing any wind noise, some cowl shake but it is livable. It is the wife's car and she loves it.

Thanks...Toad
    The $320 price is just for the system, installation is about $200 more here. I live in Grand Rapids, MI, but I think the price change is good everywhere. He said the new price came from Toyota
  • soldonsolarasoldonsolara Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Solara Convertible ('05 White with tan top) for 1 week now. What a great vehicle!! Quiet, tremendous ride, and total comfort.

This is my first convertible. Any suggestions on the best way to care for the top? Does it need to be waterproofed? What is the best product to use to wash and clean the top.

Thanks for the advice.
  • maggieaprilmaggieapril Member Posts: 5
    I would also be interested in hearing how everyone's caring for the top. The Toyota Customer Experience Center (800-331-4331) said it is a "polyester fabric" top but could not recommend a method for keeping it waterproofed.

After much online research, I purchased the RaggTopp cleaner and protectant for fabric tops. Applied last weekend. Instructions said not to worry about the overspray - just wipe it off immediately. But it was tough to get off, I will cover the windows and paint next time. The protectant does make the water bead up somewhat, but in little droplets, not great big ones like when it was brand new.

My car is garaged at night but exposed to the Florida sun and rain all week at the office. I'm very concerned with keeping the top in good shape!