Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara Convertible - 2004 and Newer

Comments

• dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I ordered my 2005 SLE convertible a month ago. It is being built this week and will be a 2006 so says the dealer who looked at the paperwork. My dealer doesn't even have 2006 literature yet. I wonder what the difference is between the 2005 and 6 -probably not much since no one came back to me with any additional options.
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    Not much, from the Toyota site:

For 2006, value is enhanced with additional standard equipment and performance upgrades. All SE and SE sport grades will now receive a power driver’s seat lumbar support as standard equipment. Also, all four-cylinder models with automatic transmission have been upgraded from a four-speed automatic to a five-speed sequential automatic ECT-i, which uses electronic controls to ensure ultra-smooth shift quality. The driver controls the five-speed sequential automatic with a gated shifter, which allows manual shifting for a sporty driving experience.
  • douggreendouggreen Member Posts: 10
    I ordered a windscreen off the Internet (turns out is was from Dallas Toyota) for $270 versus the $400 charged by the dealer. Just a warning that the installation involves some drilling and removal/re-install of two interior pannels. Basically you are cutting a hole in the plastic (near the seat belt bezzel) that the screen will fit into and installing some re-inforcement.

It looks pretty straightforward, but you should have seen my wifes face when I told her I would be using a cutting instrument on her brand new car. It would have been nice if Toyota had provided this information ahead of time.
  • wjovelwjovel Member Posts: 17
    douggreen,,Have you install the wind screen already? can a handy do it yourself guy can do it?? how difficult is to remove the panels? please let me know i am ready to buy one in the near future and see if i can install it my self. thanks in advance
    WJ
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    What CR still fails to realize is the fact that if you go around the corner too fast in an SUV it is going to tip over and if you wear your SCUBA flippers when you are operating an Audi, there is is a chance that you will hit the gas and or the brake by mistake.
    For them to even remotely grasp the concept of sawing an entire roof off of an automobile and NOT have some sort of body shake is a pretty tall order.
    I am surprised they even know what a convertible is....
  • xleinvabeachxleinvabeach Member Posts: 2
    Just bought my SLE Convertible last monday. absolutly love it. Yes, at first i hated the view from the rear window, but after driving it for a week and on the highways to and from work, i quicly forgot about the limited view and got accustomed to it very quickly. i havnt had the top down yet, but will soon when the temperature rises. other than that, nice quiet ride. im impressed how quiet it is with the top up considering i live right behing the naval air base in oceana with constant jets flying overhead. the quiet level is almost that of a normal hardtop coupe. SLE has awesome controls, and i love the fact the the displays are in black digital vice the normal colored green. when the sunlight hits the colored gauges, its almost impossible to read the displays. but with the black digital display, the sunshine has very little effect. i do have a question for you guys however. on the drivers side, right under the TRAC button, what is that small push button for? i pushed it and nothing happens. i know i should look in the drivers manual, but i havnt noticed it listed in that either. any clue on what this small button/switch is for?
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    I'm really interested to hear how much difference in turbulence that the screen makes. Also, how will it effect rear-seat passengers? Does it have to be removed? thanks.
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    "I ordered my 2005 SLE convertible a month ago. It is being built this week and will be a 2006 so says the dealer who looked at the paperwork."

Did you essentially pay the '05 pricing (and rebate offer?) for an '06?
  • maggieaprilmaggieapril Member Posts: 5
    Dispencer1,
    In answer to your question about other convertibles, here is my July 2004 review from another auto site:
    Pros:
    This car looks and rides like a far more expensive luxury car. Comes fully loaded and has many safety features. Exceptionally quiet ride for a convertible. Everyone loves this car.
    Cons:
    I had to wait several weeks for my car to arrive - they are in short supply here in Florida. Shopped the entire state but still had to pay MSRP - no bargains to be found. Rear side visibility poor with the top up due to high back seat head rests and small rear windows. Manual boot cover is cumbersome.
    Overall Review:
    I test drove every other 4-seater convertible under $30,000 on the market including Sebring (noisy), Spyder (felt like it needed an alignment), Mustang (liked it, very solid, but new body style due out soon), PT Cruiser (nice but not nearly as good a value) and the Beetle (liked it a lot more than I expected to but a little sluggish) in addition to the Solara. I chose the SE trim to save a couple thousand dollars over the SLE. The 225 horsepower V6 has plenty of power, the interior is luxurious and the exterior is every bit as classy as a Lexus.

After owning my 2004 for 8-1/2 months now, my complaints are this: There is a rattle where the top meets the car on the rear passenger side which the dealer claims is normal and less than 9 months after I bought my 2004 car they are coming out with the 2006?! Geez, at this rate it seems my car is aging in dog years!
  • spokanecalspokanecal Member Posts: 9
    I also own a 2004 Solara SLE convertible purchased June, 2004. My wife and I both love the car and we've had no trouble.

Last week, I became upset when I found out that 2006 models were being shipped to the dealers. My car has suffered 2 years depreciation in 9 months.I e-mailed Toyota to ask why, but their response didn't answer my question. This whole thing makes no sense when you think that the brand new Avalon is a 2005.
    I haven't paid anything but a $500 deposit thus far but we agreed on MSRP minus $1000 and I haven't been notified that I pay an additional amount although I understand that the 2006's are $60 more. When I ordered the car it was going to be a 2005 and the dealers used 2005 pricing. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks when the car arrives. I didn't get any rebate. As I understand it this came in when the 2006's were starting to be built last week.
    I'd agree with you if I had bought a late 2004. Can't understand why the 2006's are coming out this soon. It was always (in most brands) difficult to order a new car after about May or June because they had already started building the next year's models. If you did order one it would be the next year's car and you wouldn't get it until fall when the new cars came out. If you wanted a current year car you would have to search for your car on a dealer's lot.
    I recieved the windscreen, but some of the parts used for mounting were missing. I contacted them and the parts are on order... so I have not installed it yet. It appears from the instructions that it will not be that difficult for someone who is mechanically inclined. The only scary part is the cutting, but they include a template. I'll post my experience as soon as I recieve the mounting hardware.
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    It sounds like you ordered your car at the right time...with '05 pricing in mind but for an '06. Even if there are no changes in the car for the new model year, the dealer's asking price always seems to jump up at least for the first couple months. I hope your dealer doesn't try to get you to pay an additional amount!
    Dispenser1,

It is common for some dealers to call almost any defect "normal." Don't accept any defect on a 9 month old car as "normal." Document it to the dealer immediately so that it is established that you reported it when the car was only 9 months old. Ask them to document their response to your claim in writing. Make sure you let your salesman know that you are unhappy, and that you plan to tell your friends how you are being dealt with. Let the dealer know that tbe next letter goes to Toyota headquarters, with a copy of their response attached, with a copy to your local BBB and the state AG. Follow through with your threat.

This is just like the sales experience. The sales guy will be happy to charge you $1000 over sticker if you will pay it. Those who negotiate get their cars for less. If you go away, you are no longer a problem. It's your job to make
    let them know that it will be more trouble for them to ignore you than to fix your problem.

My father had a similar experience with a Honda Accord. After dealing with the locals for months, he finally wrote to Honda and copied the local BBB and state attorney general. After initially claiming that his problem was "normal", they agreed to replaced his 10 month old car with a brand new one (a year newer model) for $1000.

I can't say that your situation will turn out the same, but I wouldn't just let it go.
  • fresrackfresrack Member Posts: 1
    I just got mine yesterday March 17th from the factory and it is a 2005. Was on order for 3 weeks
  • rksolararksolara Member Posts: 3
    maceeman

What brand of backup sensor did you purchase? Did you have to drill holes in the bumper to install sensors? Are you satisfied with the performance of the unit?
  • rossadrossad Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if the Pearl Blue color is available on the convertible? I am also
    looking at the Cosmic Blue with black top
    and Lunar Mist(Silver) with black top.
  • anniezmaanniezma Member Posts: 20
    I purchased my SLE on Feb 20th and it's going into 'production' on March 28th. What I'm reading here is that since Toyota is now producing 2006 models that I could expect that my SLE will be a 2006???? I don't mean to sound stupid...but, once they start producing the newer model, don't they STOP producing the previous year?? I just called the dealer and asked the saleman, he couldn't answer me, had to go talk to his manager....!
  • untzmertzuntzmertz Member Posts: 3
    Do you mind me asking how you got them to go $1000 under MSRP. I could use the advise. What dealer are you dealing with?
  • nc_scottnc_scott Member Posts: 13
    I know you weren't asking me, but I got the same deal, about 1k under MSRP. I'm in Raleigh, NC and I tried going thru AAA first. Their car buying service is something I hadn't tried before, but I gave them a shot. For $25 they'll get you a price quote using their fleet discounts and connections. Well the guy was very nice and when he called me back he basically said for convertibles, especially those in high demand, not even they could get much of a bargain. It was roughly 1k below MSRP. I went to the local dealer that had one on the lot that had what I wanted and haggling a little bit, I showed him the numbers I'd been quoted from AAA and after some discussion, he matched the offer.

Also. When I went to the dealer, I'd already arranged financing thru my credit union for 4.25% and was happy with that and when I told my salesman I was already set for financing, he asked me what my rate was, I told him, he went to his financing people and they came back and offered me 3.75%. I was pleasantly surprised.

So, my advice, get a quote for the car as well as the financing before you go to a dealer and use that to your advantage. If the planets are properly aligned you may come out feeling like you did OK in the negotations.

Good luck!
    Thank you for the response. The best quote I've gotten is $30,000 for the 2006 SLE. I heard from my credit union today and I am approved for financing at 3.65% but I'm still thinking about leasing. The dealer gave me a quote on leasing and I didn't like it so it went to Auto Lease Direct online and they had pretty good information. Did you play the dealers? I really want this car but I don't want to rush through the negotiating.
  • nc_scottnc_scott Member Posts: 13
    I watched the inventory for the three dealers near me online and the one I bought from had the SLE black on black with the options I was interested in, so I only dealt with them. Quite honestly they know they don't have to do much with the price. If you don't buy it, the next person thru the door probably will. It's a pretty highly desired car and with spring here or close by, they'll have people lined up for them.

I debated back and forth a little before finally pulling the trigger, but finally said "what the heck" and I'm enjoying mine a lot.

The lease/buy decision is always a personal preference. You know yourself better than anyone. Will you want to keep it longer than 3 years or want to get something new... go with your gut. I leased my Celica convertible back in '98 and enjoyed it so much I ended up buying it out at the end of the lease.

Side story - I had the top down today at lunch running errands, and as usual when the top is down I had someone come up to me in the parking lot. He was doing his research and thinking about one and he was almost drooling when he got up close to mine. I have a feeling he's at the dealership right now. haha
  • jazzman1jazzman1 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone gotten the door sill enhancement and/or OBX sport pedals? Is the door sill a nice look and is it something that the dealer would have to put on or can I do it myself? I got a great deal on an SE...$26,500 with the SZ (better radio) and CF (floor mats) packages. They couldn't find one in the red that I wanted so I am getting a 2006...for 2005 pricing. I can't wait to get mine.
  • a58a58 Member Posts: 15
    Hello All. I just ordered a 06 convert SLE. Got mats, VSC, Protect Group, 18" wheels, wood grain and windshield. Red/Ivory. $33461 in FL. Any thoughts on if the pricing is in-line with other purchases? Also, funny that Toyota website and sales rep say 2005. When he got the vin info I had to point out it was an 06.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    For pricing and buying experiences questions, you probably want to ask in the
    Toyota Camry Solara: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences
    discussion where you can compare prices with others.

Thanks!
  • a58a58 Member Posts: 15
    Thank you!
    I doubt that you would get the same deal. This is a small town and we all do business together. Actually if I were you I would stay away from the "volume" dealers and check out the small town Toyota dealers and get their best price and order one. You should be able to get a price that is below MSRP. You probably won't if you hit the big dealers but that's only my opinion. You may anyway. You get the usual Toyota crap about the fact that the dealer is doing you a big favor even selling you the car -convertibles go in 10 minutes at full list- nobody ever has one on a lot so you can't drive one, etc etc. The car is fine -the dealers are usually awful.
    I got my 2005 at the end of February at the dealer (Raleigh, NC) for around $1200 under sticker. The dealer still made a very good profit, but this is a very popular car. Don't expect to squeeze them like you can on other models. How did I do it?

1.Went at the end of the month - this is always a good idea as they are
    2.Got the report for consumer reports, where I found out information on true invoice and a $500 dealer holdback. I could then negotiate with the salesman knowing that he was still getting a good profit. I also knew invoice on each individual option.
    3.Went in February before the demand for convertibles was too high (sorry that this won't help you now).

I could have gotten a better deal if I had taken a car on the lot, but my wife wanted a blue one. I liked the silver one as well, but it's her car and silver is a "man color."
  • rossadrossad Member Posts: 6
    douggreen,

Do you have a picture of the blue car
    and was this cosmic blue or pearl blue?
    If I get this car, I am thinking about
    either Blue or Silver. I havn't been able
    to find a blue on the lot.
    Be sure and post your price and buying experience over in the Toyota Camry Solara: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences discussion to help out others who are looking to purchase.

Congrats on your new ride!
    I would have preferred silver to red but I didn't want the dark grey interior. The Solara has a relatively lousy selection of exterior colors and only two interior colors. I wouldn't have minded the tan but you can't get it on the SLE convertible. You got a good deal. Are you sure you aren't getting a 2006. Mine was supposedly built on March 10 and it is a 2006 according to the paperwork the dealer got.
    I discovered years ago that Toyota dealers could care less about what the car cost them, invoice price, etc. In most cases they will sell you a car for what they want to sell it for or you can walk.
    You got a good deal. The blue with ivory interior is a nice color combination.
  • mdahlmdahl Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2005 Solara Convertible SLE. White with tan top and tan interior. The boot is black, though. This does not sound right! Shouldn't the boot be tan??
  • charljacharlja Member Posts: 2
    Just closed the deal on 2005 Solara Convertible SLE - White/tan/ivory. Paid $28990 with Vehicle Stability Control, mats, door sill enhancements. Madison, WI dealer, Jon Lancaster Toyota. Very smooth over the internet. I also posted this on the price discussion board. YIPPEE!!!
    rossad,

It is Cosmic Blue Metalic with a black top. Don't have a picture. It is beautiful... If it would have been for me personally, I might have gone with the Silver, but my wife thinks the blue is a better "girl" color, and she wants it clear that it is HER car.

We get a LOT of looks on the road and in parking lots. People ask if it is a Lexus. After a month, we still stop to look at before getting in.

You are unlikely to find a blue on the lots anywhere. Blues and reds seem to disapear the day they arrive. We saw a blue one on a cold Friday in February and went home to think it over. When we came back on Saturday at noon, it was already sold. Our salesman found one for us at another Southeast Toyota dealership (in Georgia). Turns out there was even a third couple interested in the car at the same time as well.

P.S. It was 75 and sunny here today. Needless to say I offered to accompany my wife on her errands.
    Does anyone have a great leasing company to look into?
    You can look here Finance Center

You can also ask in the popular discussion Lease Questions? Ask here!
  • nicolemnicolem Member Posts: 5
    I just ordered my 2006 SE convertible. The dealer is placing the order and estimates that the car will be delivered in 6-8 weeks. Has anyone received theirs in less time?

Thanks!
    Just took delivery and if It hadn't been titled last week I would take it back. The car itself is beautiful but you can feel every pebble in the road. My 2001 Malibu rides like a Cadillac compared to this car. Perhaps I'm either not used to "sport suspensions" or I spent too much time reading all the rave reviews about this car. Guess I'm going to have to live with it unless I find somebody who wants to buy it. Frankly I don't think it has a "smooth" ride except on glass smooth roads. I will admit it is a little better at 60 MPH. I'd sure recommend taking one of the SLE coupes out (if they won't let you drive a convertible or don't have one) and driving it over all sorts of roads before putting your money down. I''m very disappointed in the Solara.
    It rides a bit better now. I discovered that it had nearly 50 lbs of air in each tire. I guess the dealer never checked it. I took it down to 32 . I just have to get use to foreign cars again after all my years with GM. At least I have a Deville for the road.
  • cappy4103cappy4103 Member Posts: 48
    I didn't buy one yet but it appears that I was offered a deal of about $1,700 below sticker. The car had a sticker price of $28,321 (2005 convertible) and the invoice was $25,850. The dealer wanted 3% above invoice ($750) which meant I could buy it for $26,625. Still a little too expensive in my mind with Toyota starting to manufacture the 2006 models already.
    You are supposed to also get a $1,000 discount on the 2005.
    Tell me more about this additional $1,000 discount please. I couldn't find any incentives/rebates on this car at Edmunds.com. If I can get this car for $1,700 off sticker, plus an additional $1,000 discount, that can very well make the deal!
  • nicolemnicolem Member Posts: 5
    dispenser1,
    How long did it take your car to arrive after placing the order?
  • jazzman1jazzman1 Member Posts: 13
    Nicolem,

I ordered my 2006 SE convertible about 3 weeks ago and they gave me the same 6-8 weeks. I can't complain too much because I got a great deal on it. I just talked to the dealer and I should have it by the end of April. I hope that it's sooner because I can't wait to drive it.
    Can I ask you what the MSRP was for your 2006 SE convertible, and what you paid for it?
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    are there any color changes for 2006?
    Btw..we have had ours for just over one year now (fully loaded SLE) and it seems to be just as it was the day we picked it up...I did notice that the top seems to have a few MODERATE (nobody panic please) air leaks, but it is a ragtop afterall...
    To anyone on the fence, forget the negative comments on this board and buy the car, it is still the best value out there...
  • melbemelbe Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2005 the week after Christmas, and just noticed last week that when I open the driver door after a rain, a river of water lands right in my lap. The door gasket channels the water into the car at the seam with the top; also true if I just roll down the window. Help?
  • tarhe54tarhe54 Member Posts: 8
    Have 05 Solara SLE V6, only 3000 miles. Disappointed in fuel consumption. Am more disappointed in the Average Fuel Consumption display. On three tankfuls, 75% of time on the highway, the display has read 30.3, 30.2 and 32.0. However, when checking the mileage and fuel pumped, in each instance, the actual mileage has been between 25.5 and 26.5. Are there any problems with this information display that I should know about? Thanks for any replies.
  • debbiehazedebbiehaze Member Posts: 8
    We have this problem also (passenger side, too). I called customer service to ask about it, but the gentleman I spoke to said he had never heard of such. He suggested we take it to the dealer, though I don't see the point. We also have a problem of water getting into the doors after a rain or wash. Windows, if lowered, come back up wet for several days after.