Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Diesel Tucsons and for that matter diesel powered Santa Fe,Elantra, and some other vehicles not available in the US are sold in the U.K. Europe, Middle Eastern countries and probably others. I have found a test of a diesel Tucson on a U.K. car site called Car keys (try www.carkeys.co.uk). According to that test fuel economy is at 47.9 mpg in the "extra urban" test....39.8 combined. I presume these are the British version of the EPA tests. Keep in mind also these are probably Imperial gallons. Someone else can do the conversion to US gallons. The tester got 37 mpg combined which included off road driving. Time to 60mph was around 13 seconds and top speed was 104mph. It did quite well off road also. Searching Hyundai's international site I found there is not one but two modern direct injection turbo diesels available, a standard version and a high output version.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Even if they bring the diesel option vehicles over, the vehicles may not meet EPA requirements for 50 states. In addition, the diesel fuel in the USA is loaded with high Sulfur content. The "Sour" (high Sulfur) diesel may cause premature damage to Emission control equipment of the vehicles.

It is the big oil companies in this country that drag their feet in selling the low sulfur diesel fuel that they are selling in Europe. EPA should has turned the screw on this industry as they did on Auto industry to clean up the emission problem. What do you expect when the oil men running the country?
    jt

jt
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    FYI,

The EPA issued a regulation some time ago that new, lower limits (a 90% reduction) to diesel engine emissions will go into effect on January 1, 2007. To that end, the low sulfur diesel fuel required to meet the regs is to be available nation-wide by October this year. Trucking companies are hard at work now replacing equipment that won't meet the regs. That also means that the "clean" diesel fuel will soon be available to the passenger vehicles that need them.

Link to EPA rules
    Manufacturers won't try to market diesels in the USA for that very reason...new EPA emission regs for diesel and the inability to market them in most, if not all, 48 continous states. I feel that the cleaner fuel (low sulfur)will help this a lot. What do you mean "big oil companies dragging their feet?" The last time I checked diesel fuel is oil or petroleum derived and the oil companies will refine...market.. and sell it too!! Therefore they will have an additional product to sell, another paranoid who thinks oil men "run" the country.
  • raythegermanraythegerman Member Posts: 27
    We currently own a 2005 Tucson GLS. I read with interest the posts concerning the possibility of a diesel Tucson. Through the years I have owned a 1977 used VW diesel Rabbit and a new 1984 VW turbo diesel Jetta. During that time the diesel fuel was less expensive...Here's what you have now: Higher fuel cost (28 cents a gallon higher in my area), the stench of the diesel fuel, the lower power, and the wait for the glow plugs to warm up. In addition, here in Buffalo, New York the winters are very cold and if the diesel fuel is not treated, the fuel will jell up on you and cause your engine to die out. In addition, when you get around zero degrees, a diesel is very hard to start (notice the truckers keep their rigs running all the time?)...I wound up having a heater installed on my engine....If a diesel is what you want, God love you. I for one would never have one again...
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    I have owned three bought used VW Rabbit Diesels

What are your favorite small diesels? What engine did you like?

....81 Rab Diesel/85 Quan TD (both new)...
    ...purchased at 69k, a used 82 Rab PU still lurques in my garage.........

Little dude logged 55 MPG enroute the Oregon coast a while back.

(at an admittently sedate 55MPH) I got no problema with the 1.6l NA diesel mated w/ the 5-speed (has a clutch too) in that little trucklet.

Fred F.
    God, if the latest in diesel technology you experienced was a 1984 Jetta it is no wonder you oppose them. I don't know where to start with improvements made over the years..they are no longer bog slow...require long glow plug wait...smell or smoke objectionably.....excessively noisy...start hard in colder weather (although very cold weather, way below 0 deg. F, may still require an engine heater) the fuel is generally better with additives to prevent jelling. So, your memories are rooted in the "stone age" of diesel technology. Try a modern diesel and join the 21st century.
  • raythegermanraythegerman Member Posts: 27
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings as I just wanted to describe my experiences with diesels....I do remember General Motors pulling out the diesels and swapping them with gasoline engines...I also remember carburetors, points, condensers, etc. and look where the gasoline engine is today!....I'll take a gasoline engine anyday---maybe with an electric engine too...I can't believe that diesel fuel still doesn't have a stench to it....I certainly don't see Toyota, General Motors, etc. killing themselves in this 21st century building flocks of diesels....It's funny, but when I bought my diesels people told me the same thing----the diesel is so much improved!!
    And I believed it then! Not anymore.....If you want something better than just a gasoline engine then go to the hybrid.....That's the wave of the future (and they contain gasoline engines!)
    You certainly didn't hurt my feelings. I just wanted to point out that a 1984 car is hardly the "latest and greatest" in any technology you would care to name. I will try to address your points as best I can. Yes, diesel still smells like diesel but they don't emit smoke out the tail pipe much any more. If you stand behind a running diesel there is no question it IS a diesel. 1. "I certainly don't see Toyota, GM,etc killing themselves in this 21st century building flocks of diesels" Well,if you lived in Europe..the U.K. ....Middle East or practically anywhere on earth other than the USA you WOULD see Hyundai.. Toyota..Honda Ford GM BMW Mercedes and every other auto manufacturer building, marketing, and selling (more than 50% of all European cars are diesels)diesel cars, light trucks, vans and everything in between. 2. "When I bought my diesels people told me the same thing---the diesel is so much improved"...and they probably were... as compared to 1950 but this is 2006 and they ARE improved greatly but we in the U.S. never much see of those improvements due to EPA restrictions on emissions...
    Yeah, GM cobbled together a diesel in the 80's and they were junk. It was basically a converted 350 cu.in. gas V-8 that, in typical GM fashion, was thrown together to let them be able to say "we have a diesel" when they were popular. Don't even think of equating it to a modern direct injection turbo diesel. 3. Hybrid technology is OK but there still are unanswered questions about it too.
    A)how long will that expensive battery pack last?
    B)how much will it cost to replace...$3000 or $4000?
    C) how will unknown battery pack life affect trade in values.
    D) for those buying a used Prius/Civic/Escape/Accord hybrid...gee how long will the battery in my "new" used car last before I have to spend $$$? see "B" above
    E) people are still complaining about lower than expected fuel economy
    G) how about all that complicated, computer driven, drive mode switching. From all electric to all gas to varying degrees of combinations of both. How about all the electromechanical devices required to do all that?
    H) how about battery pack leakage in a rear ender? and what about battery disposal fees? You certainly don't think the dealer is going to pay for that do you?
    I) payback on a hybrid. This is the time involved in recouping the premium price of the original purchase by virtue of its better gas mileage is a really long time even if gas prices go up and up. Most owners who drive average miles per year probably won't do it in less than 5 years or after most will probably trade...see A,B,C above.
    So, diesel is simple and effective and probably cheaper to maintain in the long run...and they do run long!
    payback on a hybrid. This is the time involved in recouping the premium price of the original purchase by virtue of its better gas mileage is a really long time even if gas prices go up and up. Most owners who drive average miles per year probably won't do it in less than 5 years or after most will probably trade.

FYI,

Consumer Reports just did an analysis of hybrid operating costs and the results were not pretty. Here is an excerpt:

In our analysis, only two of the six hybrids we have tested recovered their price premium in the first five years and 75,000 miles of ownership (see Hybrids vs. all gas). The Toyota Prius and Honda Civic Hybrid provide a savings of about $400 and $300, respectively, over that period. But that is only if buyers are able to take advantage of limited federal tax credits. Extra ownership costs over five years for the other four models ranged from about $1,900 to $5,500, compared with those of similar all-gas models.

Their take on it is that most hybrids are at best a wash and more than likely more expensive to operate than their gas counterparts unless:

1. You hold on to them for at least 5-7 years+
    2. You drive more than the average 12-15,000 miles per year
    3. You practice proper hybrid driving techniques
    4. You can take maximum advantage of any and all available tax incentives.

All in all, a tough road to travel to get possibly minimal gas savings. Hybrids may be a good choice for some, but for most a properly sized, well-maintained, gas or diesel powered vehicle is probably the better choice. ;)
  • halebrathalebrat Member Posts: 1
    I noticed that the Hyundai Tucson received a much worse than average rating in the annual auto issue. I have a 2005 Tucson GLS and have had no problems with it since I purchased it last June. I presently have 14,000 miles on it and I am very satisfied. I know the gas mileage has been an issue. I have averaged about 20 mpg overall. Maybe it should be on par with the CRV or Rav but I will trade the mpg for the roomier and better riding Tucson along with the standard safety features included. Is the Consumer Report Much Worse Than Average Reliability Label Valid?
    I also own a Tucson (05 LX AWD) and have had no problems. The weird thing about CR's below average rating is that in all the categories they rate, the Tucson's worst was an average and most were above average to excellent. So how does one go from average, above average and excellent in all categories to below average in the overall category? :confuse:
  • rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    We bought a 2005 Tucson GLS V6 with 4WD on Aug. 1. Wife has put about 13,000 miles on it since then. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. Rides well, is pretty quiet and handles much better than her co-worker's Honda CRV in cornering. She also likes it because it's easier for her to get in the driver's seat since it's higher. I don't understand a poor evaluation either. She averages 22 mpg in mixed driving. It's a great car for the money, and the dealer's service (Antwerpen Hyundai, Clarksville, MD) has been excellent, but then it's just been in the shop for oil changes and one recall.
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    Hi!
    In October 2005 I wrote in this forum about my Tucson LX V6 describing that the car was slowly moving to the right when the steering wheel was left unattended. When this event happened also the steering wheel moved a little bit to the right without my intervention. The car still has this problem.

Now I am in Peru with my Tucson and I have visited Machupicho (Cusco) and many original places in this country with such difficult geography. Although the main roads in Peru are paved other ones (those that take one to the most beautiful scenery) are not. These roads, I will say, cannot be classified as roads. Big lorries and trunks are the usual users of these roads (mines and minerals transport) although the occasional big buses and small cars also adventure through these roads. Generally these roads are not maintained, they are full of potholes, mud, rocks and many times washed away by streams of water that have escaped from their original path.

I bought this car in November 2004 in California. I travelled from the Pacific to the Atlantic and from the Atlantic to the Pacific again in order to travel to Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama. In Panama I shipped the car to Guayaquil (Ecuador) and from there I drove to Peru. In total more than 25K miles. Presently the car has 30K miles and the car has been thoroughly serviced according to schedule.

I will say, in general, that I am OK with the performance of the car but some observations (or limitations need to be addressed). First of all, the clearance of the car, i.e. 195 mm (7.7”), is by far too small for the Peruvian off road adventures. When the car arrived to Peru the under frame was immaculate (almost new). The under seal protective cover was visible with its natural colour. Now is covered in mud that cannot be taken away by any means. The mud has been baked onto the exhaust pipe and catalytic converter and pieces of stones have indented the petrol tank in two large places and I wonder how the petrol level indicator in the console is still working.

Secondly, the engine protective plastic undercover does not cover or prevent the mud to splash all over the engine compartment. Now the mud has dried and has covered practically all-visible wire connection including sensors and components in the engine compartment.

Thirdly, I was obliged to change the original tyres BF Goodrich at 20K miles in Peru even before going to Machupicho because there was only 2 mm of thread left. If I had been in the USA I could have easily asked for new tyres based on the tyre warranty of 70K miles duration. I think this happened because of the everyday driving without rest from the USA to Panama sometimes in very hot weather. The weather has been so hot that part of the rubber (and plastic) on the front door seals has discoloured due to partial melting.

Fourthly, the plastic interior of the car is hard and scratches very easily, either by a pen or under pressure of things in the car. For example, the boot compartment has many scratches produced by things (e.g. camping materials) pressure or rubbing against the walls of this part of the car.

Fifthly, after two hours continuous driving I could feel the heat of the engine compartment filtrating into the driving area and I needed the A/C on to cool this area. It appears that there is not sufficient insulation between the engine compartment and the driving area. This needs to be improved.

Sixthly, in a few situations when the A/C switch is turned to ON smoke comes through the central vents. I originally though that this smoke was because something was burning in the A/C system. However this smoke appears to be dust. Playing a bit with the fan power control and setting seems to resolve the situation.

The good thing about the car is that in spite of the hard work it has undergone I was not aware of any noticeable rattles. I have also noted a bit of tremor when the car is on an unpaved road. Definitely I will say the car is not a serious off road car. In paved roads the car is smooth but once you take the car on unpaved roads (even though these are established unpaved roads as the manual makes clear) you feel any little rock on the road. I think the car is only suitable for unpaved roads, which are gravel and relatively smooth. The car needs more under frame protection, especially the petrol tank area. Equally it needs better plastic undercover frame design for the engine to prevent muddy water from splashing onto the engine compartment. It also needs more clearance (perhaps 3 inches more). The petrol consumption is as it is advertised. By the way, this car in Peru costs US$32,000.

B
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That's some serious testing! Thanks for the report.

tidester, host
  • conjettconjett Member Posts: 8
    I'm beginning to think CR is a bit biased in their reviews of Hyundai vehicles. If they are going to make statements about first year reliability being worse than average, they need to back it up with more concrete facts, or links to a website that goes into more details. Unfortunately, I didn't read their full review of the Tucson as I wasn't in the market for one when they reviewed it. However, I did read their review of the 2006 Sonata and it seemed a bit nit picky and whiney, especially their complaints about the cold air blowing on hands and elbows when the AC is on (I've not seen any other review complain about this). My mom just bought one and absolutely loves it, especially since it costs thousands of dollars less than similarly equipped Accords and Camrys. I would rather they focus on things that matter, like safety features that come standard with the Hyundais and the overall value of the entire packsage. I'd be curious if CR has reacted to the recently results of the test crashes by the IIHS in any way.
  • jck43123jck43123 Member Posts: 1
    I agree. CR likes some car companies better than others. Their final ratings are inconsistent in that some recommended ones are less reliable than not recommended ones.
  • quikglikquikglik Member Posts: 2
    Bought 2006 Tucson GLS AWD three weeks ago, have under 700 miles on it. Like many things about it so far. A couple of quick observations that maybe someone could address based on their experiences with the car. There appears to be hesitation occuring at about 20 MPH and 40 MPH when accelerating, especially uphill. The one at 20 MPH is a lot less noticeable and really minor. The transmission seems to be rather slow to upshift at around 40 MPH. So you need to almost floor it in order to start picking up speed. But cruising is easy. Second, my gas mileage so far is at 18.5 MPG in mixed driving. I am sure it will improve as the engine breaks in. I'd be very happy with 20-21 MPG in mixed driving. Third, the steering wheel shakes at speeds over 60 MPH, then disappears at lower speeds. Seems to be a typical wheel balancing issue. I guess that would be my dealership's oversight. Can I wait until my first oil change (say at 3,000 miles) to get this looked at? I rarely drive over 60, and the car is not really supposed to be driven over 55 during the break-in period anyway. And lastly, is there a way to remove the cargo area cover? It is mounted in the middle of the compartment and makes it inconvenient to transport luggage, let's say, standing up. I know the screen retracts, but that beam does not seem to be removable. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • skopeckyskopecky Member Posts: 2
    We had the same shudder or hesitation on our Tucson at about 7000 miles under moderate acceleration and they also replaced both front axles. I hope this doesn't have to be done every 10,000 miles or so! This was the only problem we have had with out Tucson.
    My Tucson LX V6 hesitated when overtaking or uphill. This has disminished since I changed the PCV valve. This valve is cheap to buy and can be replaced easily. There is not need to take the car to a dealer. I bought the shop books (3 books) and I use them when I want to do routine maintenance, e.g. change oil, coolant, etc. Torque for the PCV can be found in the books. Hyundaiusa has a web page with all the information required to look after your car (i.e. www.hmaservice.com) procedures and latest problems in the car, and also the Tucson parts number. You need to register first by given the VIN of your car. You need a P/w and U/n to enter the page.

Hope this will help.

B
  • hfxnshfxns Member Posts: 74
    I don't understand how I can be averaging between 10-12MPG city miles. How do you get 20 MPG? That means you get 550 KM per tank. Is that right. I can get low 300's in the city and around 450-500km on the highway.

Dan

HFX NS
  • hfxnshfxns Member Posts: 74
    22 MPG in mixed driving? How do you do it? I get 11-12 MPG in city, and 14-15 MPG on the highway. If you are getting 22 MPG, then you are getting 600kM per tank - is that right?

Just want to know because it means there is something wrong with my car. Do you have the V6 or the 4 cylinder engine?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Dan

HFX NS
  • 238000238000 Member Posts: 48
    Yes, I have a top of the line 2005 Tucson, a great car, but I also experienced the shuddering when going up hills, and the front axles or something had to be replaced. Nowhere was this documented. To solve my problem,to get service, I had to write Robert Cosmai, CEO of Hyundai America since the dealership was continually putting me off, saying"Hyundai hasn't figured out how to fix this problem common to Tucsons". Sad to say, I wouldn't recommend the Tucson to anyone. Several of my friends noticing this are buying Hondas, either the new Civic or Accord. The greatest warranty in Americas is great, if they honor it.
    Dan/HFXNS:

Yes. Right at 22 miles to the gallon in mixed driving. We get that by following the speed limit and using the cruise control whenever possible. Also, we only warm up the car for about 30 seconds or so before starting off. We also try to anticipate stoplights by slowing down as soon as we see the red. Too many people around here keep BOTH feet on the gas and try to stop 20 feet before the light.

We have a 2005 Tucson GLS V6 4WD.

Hope this helps.

Bob D.
  • jacquesjacques Member Posts: 34
    Dan, read my story on my kia sportage 4wd v6 2006 (go to kia sportage chat side of Edmunds

2 reprograms, one new ECM engine module and now at
    22liters /100km !!! about 13.5 miles per gallon :mad:

this winter was 25-27liters for 100km !!!! :lemon:

I am going back to dealer next week :mad: :mad: :mad:

how can some cars like Tucson run 20 miles+ / gallon and they can't fix this copy cat Sportage with same engine and trany ???
    I drove the Tucsson V6 LX for more than 30K miles in my way to the Peruvian mountains. The average mileage was/is around 20 miles per US gallon.

If your car is doing less, then there is a fundamental problem with the car. Dealers can make a performance test in your car a give to you a written report of the test.

I have a lexus SC300, it is also 4-automatic like my Tucson, the Lexus uphill does a little of noise when the gear is changed but there is not a little jump that happens when the Tucson is going uphill or overtaking. Before I bought the car I read reviews of this car and everybody pointed to this 'problem' the change of gear hesitation of the Tucson. I said I have disminished this problem a lot by simple changing the PCV valve.

Remenber the Tucson was a brand new car designed by the Koreans and may take another 6 years to put right many of the 'problems'. My car at the beginning water (or steam) was entered into the front lights, the 4WD on manual was making horrible noises when reversing, the hand brake was loosed and crap grip (there was a technical bulletin to all hyundai dealers to address this problem). All of these 'problems' were corrected under the warranty. The dealer even want to order new cambers to address the problem of the tendency of the car to move to the right lightly when the steering wheel was left unattended. I didn't have time to do this because I was going to Mexico.

Look at the Tourage (VW); this car is full of serious electronic problems and even there is a "Lemon" web page to address the claims of the owners. This car costs more than $15,000 than the Hyundai. In summary I think for the price I paid for this car I am able to cop with these minors 'problems'

Now I am waiting for the next Santa Fe (new). This car has been in the market for more than 5 years and the 'problems' I am sure have been adressed in order to eliminated them in this new edition of the Hyundai.

To buy a new car is as having a baby. You will not leave full responsibility to the dealer to look after your baby, because the dealer will not do that. You need to buy the Tucson shop books and read the Hyundai bolletins in its web page. Performance can be traced to perhaps 3 to 4 causes for a bad consume of gas, and dealers know that. Take your car to another dealer and get aquaintence with the language they talk by getting informed yourself of possibles causes.

I hope this help.

L
    But the "problem" was fixed...correct?? Cost you a bundle?...no? If the problem was fixed and as you say it "is a great car" continue to drive it, enjoy. If the problem was NOT fixed after multiple attempts then you may have room to complain. To not recommend a "great car" based on one suspect service issue is, well, not something the average person would do. Further, I have not seen evidence that this "problem" is anywhere close to common to Tucson's.. So several of your friends are buying Accords or Civics?....funny I also have a 2006 Cicic and I am here to tell you it ain't perfect. One recall a week into ownership, a harmonic vibration issue fairly common to many 2006 Civics (see the 2006 Civic owners cite on Edmunds)and although I have not experienced it other owners complaining about body/window seal integrity, noisy engines/lifters among other things. Do not think Honda is God's own ride..it ain't true.
  • 238000238000 Member Posts: 48
    Well, of course you're right, but you have to wonder what was wrong with the car that caused that shuddering - the dealer was disinclined to discuss it at length, other than to say, "your car is ready." You don't want to drive a car where the wheels come off(which happened to me with a 1995 Chrysler) that could be deadly. I guess we fawn over the Japanese cars, but are hard on Hyundai. I would imagine that the 2006 Tucson has the kinks worked out. My friends that like Hondas have good experience, but I'll mention the problem with the 2006 models. Thanks for the note.
  • reechzreechz Member Posts: 50
    we have narrowed down our choices to the 4 cyl 2.0 tuscon and the 4 cyl 2.4 cr-v. I am concerned that the Tuscon won't have enough power with the 2.0 engine. also, the gas mileage looks very poor from what I have seen on this board. can anyone offer an opinion? should we scrap the 2.0 and look towards the 2.7 engine on the tuscon? any other problems with the tuscon?

thanks
    Yes, you should have been a bit more agressive with the service advisor about what was required to repair your car. I always want to know,exactly, even to the point of wanting to see the broken parts but I am interested and technically savvy enough to understand what is going on. On the other hand many (most)people don't have a clue about the innards of their cars and only care that it starts...steers...and stops so probably service people have given up trying to tell those types what the problem was. They only care what the bill is and "do you take Visa?"...
    The Honda seems to be more technically advanced as far as wringing more fuel economy out of their 4 cylinder engines than most...more performance too. I love Hyundai products but feel it necessary to give you all the facts, as I know them. The CR-V is quicker than even the V-6 Tucson and gets a couple of MPG more, approx.23-25 MPG with mostly highway driving verses about 20-22 for the Tucson. The CR-V will cost more when equipped with options that are standard on the Tucson. The CR-V has a 5 speed automatic verses 4 speed for the Tucson. It has been noted that although both are "bad weather on road..soft off-road" AWD cars the Tucson may be the more able to get you through bad conditions due to its superior AWD system. There are other +/- comparisons but the bottom line is the Tucson is more affordable, good quality, more features for the $$$, better warranty, somewhat poorer fuel economy,somewhat less performance (V-6 model) and certainly the 4 cylinder as compared to the Honda, better looking (my opinion). With regard to 4 verses V-6 choice...unless you only want FWD the 4 isn't available as an AWD choice. There used to be a 4 cylinder AWD model that was a manual 5 sp transmission only but it may have been discontinued.
    As I said I have driven the Tucson LX V6 for more than 30K miles in very bad roads (all type of weather). It has a good torque that allows you to leave the competition behind you. It has also a good acceleration. It can reach 90 miles per hour very soon and it is smooth. The Honda CR-V 2.4L cannot compare to the Tucson V6 in Torque or speed. I said this because in Peru there are big head'drivers that think that having a Honda Cr-V is as having a Formula 1 car.

Honda put its engine (4-cyl)to the maximum revolutions (almost all its car do this). This is fine if you think to have the car for less than 3-4. The 4 cyl engine will be naked after that high rev. A car with 6 cyl is smooth because of the engine not because the suspension bushes or improved suspension. Look the Type-R has more suspension bushes that any car in the market. So Honda gives you a sense in the few first years of performance and high technology.

Equally the Honda does not provide with flat seats when needed. Many times I have slept in the car with my wife comfortable (Grand Canon, Death Valley) a temperatures below 5 degree. At the end of this 30K miles I was more than satisfied with the car in spite of all that hard drive that the car has to put at.

I said the car need more protection under the chassis and the clearance is not enough. Big stone and small rocks may puncture the petrol tank. My car has leather front seats with heat at will.

Unfortunately, there are 2 types of owners. The owner that help the Dealer to pay his swimming pool at home and his fantastic holidays because the owner trust on him, and the owner that know about the car by making an effort to understand the basics of the car. The latest owner is disliked by Dealers.

B
  • heinsterheinster Member Posts: 2
    I bought a tuscon v-6 4wd LX sept,2005.Lot of small truck for the money. Like it so far. Milage is 18 city and 25hwy. Had a fuel leak(fuel dampener) fixed. before i was getting 15-20 mpg. aanny tuscon owners with poor milage might want to check into this. Also sitting in traffic for 1/2 hr. w/o moving i over heated. check engine light went on. let car sit for a hour, started back up check engine light went off and car was fine on resuming my trip. took car to dealer,said no code was stored, and coul'dnt find reason for overheating. A few sqeaks and rattles too. i guess i can see where consumer reports gives the tuscon a worse than aveage rating. this is a first year build so 2006 and 7 willfair much better. tuscon is great in deep snow(wisconsin) and sure tracking in rain and and slush. Ride,handling and acelleration are definatly up to par. Got 6,000 miles on it now .
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    I'm getting 24 mpg in mixed sub-urban driving with a 4 Cyl FWD Manual transmission Tucson. 6,000 miles so far and the mileage is still improving. I normally drive 75 mph on highways.
  • jacquesjacques Member Posts: 34
    can you provide more specific info on the fuel dampener problem (fuel leak)

what is it ? where is it any other info available ??
    I have checked the Hyundai technical site for any TSB's issued for fuel leak situations, especially something called a fuel dampener and came up with zip. Do you smell raw gas in and around your car? if not probably no fuel leak...and your alleged poor fuel economy is an anomoly of some type as few if any report so low a number
  • flytedhyflytedhy Member Posts: 63
    Consumer reports was correct with the much worse than average rating of the Tucson. It is a poorly built vehicle that is far sub-standard to the Toyota or Honda. When I initially looked at all 3, and since I only had a need for a basic vehicle, I decided that the extra 2-3k would not be worth it, plus what a warranty the Hyundai had. After a year of ownership, what a mistake I made, the lack quality really shows, the warranty looks good on paper, but is not much good if the dealer doesn't fix the problem for a variety of reasons or just says "thats normal for these Tucsons". The 4 cyl is ok on power, but the 4-speed auto is a serious mismatch as far as gearing is concerned to the 2.0L. A 5-speed auto or re-gearing should be a top priority for Hyundai. Read this forums posts carefully and you quickly see that those who say negative things about the Tucson are soon "target"'d by some who post several times a day trying to convince people their Hyundai's are not that bad. Even for the 20k I paid for my 2.0L GLS, it performs poorly for this class of vehicle. In town my mpg average is 18.5, again very poor for this size engine, even considering the vehicle weight. They also use the cheapest oem tires available anywhere on the GLS and if you get a flat at 10 miles, no warranty coverage. The list goes on as far as how cheap they made this vehicle. The Hyundai also has about the
    lowest resale value of any make out there, its terrible and there is a reason for that, plan to own the vehicle 5+ years to have it return to reasonable. Do some research in consumer reports, its the best thing out there in unbiased reports, anyone who says differently are in that blind brand loyalty category or use the lame excuse that CR only likes foreign cars. Smart people can see through that. If you take the blind brand loyalty out of some of the opinions here, and go look at the Honda and Toyota again, I bet you'll find that the couple extra grand went into the quality of the vehicle and not just the name. A couple grand that I bet you'll be very glad you paid.
    You too are about to be "targeted". I don't have to convince anybody about Hyundai being "not that bad" mainly because THEY AREN'T. I have, or have had three personally (2002 Santa FE, 2003 Santa Fe, 2005 Tucson) and both my daughter AND son also have one (2000 Elantra, 2003 Elantra) as does my sister (2004 Elantra) And now I am going to proceed to rip you too. So then, your beef is that you get about 19 MPG in town and you consider this poor for an SUV? I would recommend checking the various owner sites for the Honda CR-V and the Toyota RAV-4 and then throw out the obvious lies (30 MPG in town) type thing and you will see as I have that both get far less than the EPA estimates and only may get a couple MPG, if that, better. I have also acknowledged that Hyundai does lack a certain amount technical sophistication as compared to both Honda and Toyota...but at thousands $$$ less model for model Hyundai does well. They are steadily improving.
    Who says the dealer can't or won't fix problems? You? or a handfull of disgruntled persons who post on these sites? For every 10 who complain here there are thousands who get things fixed promptly, correctly, AND under warranty if it applies.
    They use the cheapest OEM tires?? worse than the Firestones Ford used on the Exploders oops Explorers, you know, the ones that blew out causing roll-overs?? Michelin is used on many or most of the line up and if you can name another manufacturer aside from some premium brand car maker that uses these across the range of models well, go ahead name them. Oh yeah, if you get a flat in your Ford..GM..Honda...Toyota..Chrysler...BMW...Subaru..etc. etc. ad nauseum, and open the glovebox you will find a small warranty brochure from the tire manufacturer who provides their own warranty for the tires...if you do not understand, simply put...Hyundai does NOT warranty the tires, nobody in the auto manufacturing industry does.
    Obviously you do not like research because if you did any you would hardly be able to miss all the awards, not lightly given, to various Hyundai models for, WHAT? quality, value,consumer best buys, check rated models from WHO? Consumers Reports, and various other consumer magazines, Automobile clubs, JD Powers (where Hyundai is in the top 3, I believe and tied with WHO? Honda) and assorted other car oriented magazines. Simply put, in spite of what you would like to believe and have others believe, Hyundai has quickly overtaken all domestic manufacturers and is hot on Honda/Toyota's heels. With the increasing public perception that Hyundai is indeed a quality car comes increasing resale value. As it stands now resale value has surpassed many domestic models, again model for model
    Oh, I took your advice (and Consumers Reports) and bought a 2006 Civic in November I liked the body style better than the 5 year old design of the current Elantra and the rental car blandness of the Corolla..I also paid $19,600 and I am here to tell you that for the same money I could (and should) have bought a nice top line Sonata which has far more standard equipment, much greater interior and trunk room. More car for the money in all measures. Sure the Civic gets good fuel economy and sure that is important but I am NOT "very glad that I paid the couple extra grand" for this supposed automobile ICON. If you think it has been perfect you are wrong
    Consumer reports was correct with the much worse than average rating of the Tucson

If you look closely at that CR "reliability" rating, you would surely question how they arrived at their rating. If you look at each and every reported metric that supposedly goes into their reliability rating, each individual rating is no worse than average and most are above average to excellent! So how do you go from those scores to below average? :confuse:
    A number of e-mails and letters from Tucson owners (from a few other forums I visit) to CR have still gone unanswered! And I must tell you that I am the proud owner of an extremely trouble-free, reliable 2005 Tucson LX 2.7L V6 AWD and I get the same gas mileage you get with your 2.0L I4. Maybe you should have popped for the V6? ;)
    See what I mean. Some have just bought themselves into a low quality vehicle and refuse not only to admit it, but flame anyone who can. The most frequent posters go as far as telling you there's nothing wrong with your vehicle. Some may have gotten a good build by accident, I don't doubt that. Look for yourself, talk to owners in person and I think you'll find that low quality is a common theme, even given the already low price. Its too bad some of these forums have been taken over by those who constantly post every day telling others what to think about their vehicles.
    Bah...I am one of the most vocal Hyundai supporters and I suppose you are refering to me. However, I refuse to admit to something that simply isn't true..Hyundai isn't a "low quality vehicle" and if you believe it to be true go find an automotive "icon" to blow your extra couple of grand on. I am not "flaming" you or anybody else but I AM pointing out that sites like these are visited by owners of "automotive icons" who like to point out how bad other makes are but have never even sat in a Hyundai. I have personally had 3 and, as I said, immediate family members own 3 additional and Guess What!!!! They all are reliable vehicles that are no worse than any "automotive icon". "Talk to owners in person and I think you'll find low quality ia a common theme" Rubbish..talk to me, my son, my daughter, my sister, two..no three co-workers: who own 3 Santa Fe's and an Elantra driven by a person who drives 120 miles round trip to work daily and has over 45K miles on his 2004 already with no, read that... NO... problems and liked the Elantra so much he bought one of the above Santa Fe's. Another of the Santa Fe owners drives a little over 60 miles a day and has accumulated 100K miles on his 2002 4 cylinder FWD with..you guessed it..NO problems!! My son's 2000 Elantra has around 140K miles and oops he had a problem..new front brake rotors and pads a few times and rear wheel brake cylinders and brake shoes at about 110K miles. You can talk trash about Hyundai as much as you care to but given the experiences I personally have had with the brand you WILL not find me doing so. Further, I do not tell others what to think but I like to believe I am a counter weight to the rubbish posted by people who probably don't even own one. And if you do happen to own one and don't like it do the American thing express your freedom of choice and buy something else.
    I really don't know how to properly answer your way off base comments. I could sit here all morning and tell you about my trouble-free Tucson, my wife's trouble-free 04 Sonata LX, my sister's trouble free Tucson, her 97 Accent, my co-workers' various years' trouble-free Sonatas and Elantras. Or I could sit here and say that you may be the exception rather than the rule regarding Hyundai quality. I could, but I won't because I think most reasonable people can read and do the research and find out your comments and observations ARE the exception, not the norm. If that is flaming you, sorry. I just thought I was telling the truth. By the way, I have owned numerous vehicles in my life, Fords, Mercs, Chryslers, Chevys, Volkswagens, and the 2 Hyundais I currently own are the best built and most trouble-free of all that I have owned. ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Edmunds.com's visitors are encouraged to submit reviews of vehicles as well. Every Hyundai vehicle has received a consumer rating of 9.0 or greater on the quantitative scale where ten is the highest possible score."

link

Looking at the Consumer Review link at the top of this discussion, the '05 Tucson is pulling a 9.2 score from owners. You have to drill "up" to get '06 numbers, but they are currently at 9.2 also.

Steve, Host
    I am sorry to hear that you have problems with your Tucson (assuming that you have one). Equally, I have had some problems as well with my Tucson (V6, LX). All this minor problems were solved by my dealer. If you are not satisfied with your dealer you always can send an email to Hyundai USA and they will phone the dealer to do the job you are requesting.

I had a Honda Civic Coupe before for 3 years and after 6 months a rattle noise appeared and 2 spot corrosion were noticeable in one of the doors. The rattle was never eliminated and the spots were re painted by the dealer (car was under warranty).

It is OK to say that the internal finishes of the Civic were, I will say better quality that my Tucson, that needs to be improved.

I bought this Tucson to give it a hard work, why should I need a fantastic interior if I going to enter the car with shoes full of mud. When I am in the country side I need a responsive engine and the Tucson is good in this.

I was not prepared to give away another 2K dollars just because the internal plastic was better. This car solve all my needs and before I bought it I did my research.

If your dealer doesn't want to do the job you want, you still can ask to talk with the big boss (manager). Hyundai is interested to show its customers that the they care for new Hyundai owners. I don't understand why you could not have the type of service I got from Hyundai dealers in California, and Boston, Mas.

I look after my Tucson carefully, but I will wish that the under frame were more protected and the floor clearance increased, and the external paint is pealing in some places. I love my Tucson and it is very bad you have had problems with your Tucson. Fortunately, you could use your Tucson as part exchange and buy a CR-V Honda. I can just say that you have had a very bad luck and wish the best in your next purchase.

B
    Its obvious when people don't have a good point that they ignore all the bad info and selectively choose the good. I never said anyone didn't have a good experience with their personal vehicle, you might have. On the contrary, there are several here who attack anyone who would question their godly opinion of this manufacturer. Hyundai does have the highest depreciation of about any car maker out there, just a simple fact, that low resale value is due to low quality and little demand for their used cars. Odd how nobody brings that up. Edmunds Editor's rate the Tucson only an 8.0, thats a little different from 9.2, thats the bigger picture. Funny how that wasn't mentioned. The anti CR conspiracy theorists here blame the only unbiased report on vehicles as being....well ask them for the complete conspiracy. The small group of people here who rant and rave like radicals every time some one posts the truth about their experiences, should take the Honda, Toyota, GM and whatever bashing some place else. You do nobody on this board any service at all except discourage people from asking questions and posting their experiences for fear of your attacks.
  • duckiedduckied Member Posts: 52
    Hyundai does have the highest depreciation of about any car maker out there, just a simple fact, that low resale value is due to low quality and little demand for their used cars.

Interesting...check this out: link title

Looks like the Accent is the only Hyundai in that list, and it's not even close to #1!

Also, directly from Edmunds, Yay! : link title

Guess what? No Hyundai's there!! Yay!

I backed up my points with factual information!

Sorry about your bad experience. My '05 Elantra is trouble free and doing great. I'm also considering buying a new Tucson or Sonata. ;)
    You do nobody on this board any service at all except discourage people from asking questions and posting their experiences for fear of your attacks.
    :confuse: :confuse:

I am not sure how I attacked you. All I did was provide my own personal experiences (like you), question how CR's rating could show all average to above average to excellent individual ratings and then come up with a below average reliability rating (the whole is less than the sum of the parts?), and point out that the positive experiences, ratings, and reviews of the Tucson far outweigh the negatives. All the info I mentioned can be verified or read in print or on other websites.

I have no doubt that you have some problems with your Tucson. It can happen to anyone and any make or model, even Honda and Toyota. If you can't get your dealer to address your problems, try another dealership. If that fails, you have a few other choices: Accept it and live with it, or trade it in for a Honyota. Just some common sense advice and plain facts from me, no specious arguments or tirades. If my prior posts offended you, please let me apologize. ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think Hyundai gained a lot of cred around Edmunds with this comparison:

Comparison Test: Hyundai Sonata Takes on the Accord and Camry (the Sonata won.)

For Edmunds 8.0 take on the Tucson, see the Editors' Rating. And here's the Reviews & Specs page. Finally, here's the Road Test from last year on an '05.

The slush fund scandal isn't helping their stock prices though. (Market-Day).

Ok, I'm over my daily links quota now. :shades:

Steve, Host
    Hi. We've owned a 2005 Tucson V6 GLS with 4wd. LOVE the car and average about 22 mpg with mixed city/highway miles.

Whenever I sit in the back seat, I can hear road noise at a distinctly higher volume than in the front seat. I'm thinking of adding some soundproofing material to the cargo area. Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have a recommendation about what type or where to purchase? I'd appreciate it as there is a long trip coming up with the car.

Thanks,
    Bob