Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    The post read like an informercial, but we will have to wait and see how the longer term quality turns out on this new design.
    The Hyundai name still equals bad resale due to the reputation of the older vehicles and because it is often seen as the car you get when you can't or don't want to spend the money on what you really wanted (Toyota, Honda).
    I have heard that the newer Hyundais have improved quality, but since they are still pretty new and low mileage, they haven't been around enough to show long term reliability or change perceptions.
    So, resale/trade-in prices will have to be cheap or people will just buy a used Honda or Toyota instead. This causes poor resale value.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It is a new design, but the engines have been proven in other vehicles for years and the platform is from the Elantra, which has an Above Average reliability rating. I bought a '01 Elantra GLS four years ago because it was a better car than the Civic and Corolla (and much less expensive), and bought a '04 Elantra GT this spring because it was a better car than the Matrix (and much less expensive). Their quality has been excellent. One failed part (a sensor) in four years with the GLS, and no problems at all with the GT so far. Resale is not as good as comparable Hondas and Toyotas right now, but when you can save thousands over those makes and can drive them for ten years and still be covered under warranty, who cares if resale is lower? It's coming up from where it was a few years ago, before Hyundai's focus on quality started.

I stopped in at my local Honda dealer last night to look at the new Ody and saw a '05 CRX EX AWD stick shift on the showfloor. Sticker was $22,200. The Tuscon GLS with V6 and automatic, plus all the other standard features, is $100 less. Fuel economy is about the same. The Tuscon has the V6, automatic, stability, SACs, and longer warranty for the same money as the CRV. For the price of a CRX EX automatic you could get the top-of-the-line Tuscon LX with leather etc. etc.

If you buy a car with the intent of selling it in 2-3 years, yes, it makes sense to get a Honda or Toyota because of the better resale value. But if you plan on driving the car for several years, Hyundai makes a lot of sense because of the feature content, quality, and warranty for less money.
  • lakecrestlakecrest Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the compliment regarding my, "infomercial".

As part of my research of course I checked resale prices because as everyone should know depreciation is the hidden and often the most costly part of owning a car. What is said regarding automobiles (not SUV's) by Hyundai is true. They are great values when they are one or two years old.

However the Santa Fe is proving to be quite different. I shopped the net and the dealers to check the actual selling prices as well as lease residuals, and I found that I can purchase a new 2004 model with rebate for less than resale prices! Real world residual is similar to the 4 dr Camry (one of the best). In my case I believe it better to buy new and know what I am getting. I have read where as many as 1/3 of all cars resold within the first 3 years of new have sustained major damage in some way and have been repaired. Makes sense. CarFax is not perfect, and I also remember the 10yr/100,000 warranty is not transferable on Hyundais.

We are replacing a '98 Nissan Sentra with 170K miles showing, and if you plan to keep a car as long as we do this is an excellent choice.
    No matter what the blue book value says, a 1 year-old vehicle cannot sell for the same as new.
    If there are big rebates and other discounts that make the sales price of a new one around the same as the book value of a used one, then the used car sellers have to lower their prices to compensate.
    Discounting on new vehicles causes worse resale value down the road.
    Saying "I'll get a new one because the price is close to the same or lower than used after the rebate" is based on a fallacy.
    If new cars are greatly discounted, then used car sellers must reduce their prices enough to make them attractive or they will be impossible to sell.
    And that is one reason why resale on Hyundais like the Elantra and Sonata are not great, because there are large rebates on them, and why resale on Hondas are high, because they do not have rebates. But there have not historically been large rebates on the Santa Fe, and there are no rebates (except a $500 loyalty rebate) on the Tuscon. If Hyundai is successful in their strategy to move up-market with their new line of vehicles (Tuscon, NF Sonata, upsized Santa Fe, etc.) and can hold the line on rebates while continuing to improve quality, resale values will continue to improve.
    Usually there is no huge rebate on a new model right at the outset. That doesn't mean there won't be big rebates on the Tuscon in 6 months or later when you might want to try to sell your 1 or 2 year old Tuscon.
    I would never sell a car after only 1-2 years. You'll get killed on depreciation no matter what you buy. If I planned on driving a car for only a short time, I'd lease it instead. That's where cars with high residuals, like Hondas and Toyotas, have an advantage.

BTW, I stopped by my local Hyundai dealer today and got a good look at the Tuscon. They had two LX samples, both FWD. Inside and out, these are sharp vehicles! The interiors were especially well done. They are the nicest interiors yet from Hyundai, IMO. Very classy with the brushed metal trim and chrome accents. The leather surfaces were also nicely done, and looked much richer than the $21 price would indicate. I didn't have time for a drive, but if the ride is as solid and smooth as reviews indicate, Hyundai is going to sell a lot of these little SUVs, with the price of a loaded V6 the same as a 4-cylinder Honda or Toyota model. The main competition could come from Ford and Chevy, with the Escape and Equinox offering a V6 in the same price range or less (Equinox under $18k in today's ads).
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    in Alpine Frost(a metallic bluish green I instantly loved) with option 4--sun roof and upgraded stereo. I've been dreaming about this SUV since it was first announced last November.

Normally, negotiating a price is fun. I normally buy near the end of the model year, but I didn't want to wait. This is the 3rd car I've purchased from this particular dealer. The Edmunds TMV showed the average discount only $144 off sticker! The dealer said they couldn't negotiate until the model was out least 6 months old. They also swore there was no dealer holdback for this model, and the only other Tucson they sold went for full price (an Escape trade-in). The dealer only wanted to give me the $500 loyalty rebate. After an hour of "negotiating," I was able to get $339 off the list price. With my 02 Elantra GT trade-in, it was $14,653.52 out the door.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Why no driver side overhead assist grip as in the Elantra GT? Also. the rear package shelf is awkward. A retractable one would make more sense.
    There is an overhead grip on all four doors in my Tucson, mpgman.

The shelf is a bit awkward, although you can open it and push it back a little farther, but you feel like you are forcing it. The good news is, there is a light at the top and the side--a little better than the GT.
  • tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    I work for a company of car dealerships, and we have 2 Hyundai stores... I've been aware of Hyundai's high quality products for years now, but the new Tucson really impressed me. I was taking photos of a few of them today for our company website, and I almost couldn't believe how well assembled the car felt. The doors feel solid when you open and close them, and I was blown away by the interior. The fabric felt to be of such high quality, the metal trim on the center stack, and even the soft touch plastics on the door... Too bad I just signed a 3yr lease on my Chevy, cause I'd be all over the Tucson otherwise!
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    does the tucson have the same style of tilt/adjustable steering column as the santa fe or is it like the honda crv? the tuscon is a great looking/value loaded suv. gonna be a hit!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    in pictures on the net than it did a few months ago with early release info. from Hyundai. From what people are saying after seeing it in person it really sounds well-built. Being the owner of a '01 Kia Sportage 4x4 with 86,100 miles I'm interested in the Hyundai Tucson and new '05 Kia Sportage both. I just think both Hyundai and Kia are doing such a great job lately. HyunKia is pushing hard to pop into the top 5 of worldwide automakers and it sounds like this new Tucson will help them quite a bit in their quest.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    Checked out the new Tucson today. It was the GLS v-6 2 wheel drive model.

It looks very sharp from the outside. The styling and the exterior looks better than my 02 cr-v.

I wasn't too impressed with the interior. I hated the thin cheap hard hollow plastic dash and wasn't impressed with the seat cloths. Couldn't find the comfortable sitting position either in the new tucson.
  • iameliotiameliot Member Posts: 14
    I like so many things about the Tucson....nice look, safety feature, etc....was going to get one for my daughter....but I have now test driven 3 of them....all gls v6 models....and found the same problem on each: step down on the gas and it hesitates very badly, then lurches into gear.....the transmission seems never to be in the right gear.....even the salesman had to admit that this was nasty.....I cannot believe I am the only one on this board who has experienced this ..........I opted for something else....don't these bozos at the factor test drive these cars?? If they fix this flaw, I think this car would be a great value
  • delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    I have heard of this being reported by a few others posting on different message boards as well. My wife and I tested a FWD GLS 6 cyl Tucson in Ft Laud at Rick Case Hyundai. she drove it much harder than I did but neither of us experienced any of the delayed acceleration that has been mentioned. I'm just curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this with their test drive? If this is a problem(?) then Hyundai has to address it ASAP.
    I sat in a GLS V6 Tuscon this weekend, and I don't understand how you could not find a comfortable sitting position front or rear. The front has Hyundai's dual-knob seat height adjustment, which I think is the best manual adjuster in the business (and so does C/D). I was able to easily find a comfortable position. In the back, the seatback reclines, and with the driver's seat set for me (5'10") I had enough room in back to cross my legs without touching the front seat. Plus the fold-down center armrest in back, and the height-adjustable center armrest in front, aided comfort. The seats were firm, like those on my Elantras, but I've found that firm, supportive seats are better than the squishy seats on long trips. My only gripe on seating is that I wished the rear seat cushion would have been angled up just a tad, but if that's the penalty for being able to fold the seat flat with one hand, I'll take it.

I did rap on the dashboard and found that, yes, it is hard plastic, like on many other cars these days to save weight and cost. Since I don't ever go feeling the dashboard on my cars, except when I'm in the dealership, that is not a problem for me. I think the dash looks fine. The look and feel of the controls is much more important to me, since I do touch those all the time, and I liked the look and feel of the Tuscon's switchgear.

The fabric on the GLS was typical low-nap velour. It wasn't the best cloth interior I've ever seen, but far from the worst.

There was more room in the back than I expected. I appreciated that Hyundai provides a removable rubber cargo mat to protect the cargo bed, at no extra charge. I wasn't so keen on the rigid cargo cover, and in fact the salesman noted himself that he would prefer a window-shade type cover. Well, that's easily fixable if Hyundai gets enough complaints.
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    Thats one thing I like about Hondas. I can get a 5 speed in the Element (which I have and love) and the CRV. Why dont other manufacturers not ofer a 5 speed for this non-lazy American?
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    A 5-speed is available in the 4-cyl fwd or 4wd. Initial production seems to be biased towards the v6, but with patience you can get one.
  • jones1009jones1009 Member Posts: 5
    We got the new Tucson 2 weeks ago and I have to say that I'm dissapointed in the one critical area I was looking for...mpg!! The sticker said avg of 26 on highway (2wd model) with a range of 22-30. I drive 100 miles/day to grad school and with over 900 miles already on the odometer I've had to visit the gas pump every other day. So far my mpg is 20.99 and 20.23 (very little city driving included in that).

A little background...it's a 50 mile trip one way with 16 of that at 65mph and the rest at 75mph (interstate).

I've been told by both the dealer and the customer service at Hyundai that I need to wait until 1500 miles for the true mpg to kick in, but with 900 already put on it, I find it difficult to believe that I'm all of a sudden going to get 6 mpg more.

I traded in a Grand Prix for the Tucson, Grand Prix got 29mpg consistently with 16" tires, 3.8 V6 engine, approx 16.6 gallon gas tank. We got the 2wd Tucson, 2.7 V6 also with 16" tires, approx 17 gallon gas tank. We were expecting to put in approx 1 tank of gas more/month with the Tucson over the Grand Prix - at this rate I'm looking at 2-3 times MORE in gas cost/month for the Tucson.

Also more background...there was a huge problem with the deal/purchasing of the Tucson due to a really rotten apple at the dealership we purchased it from, so my confidence in this vehicle has not been that good from the start, already feel like we've been lied to enough, I'd like some straight answers.

In reading these discussions, I see a few of you have bought this vehicle, any feedback from fellow consumers would help.
  • alamid69alamid69 Member Posts: 59
    If you go to the 2005 Honda Odyssey forum, new owners are complaining of the gas mileage, too. Some are reporting as bad as 13 mpg (Odyssey has an estimated 20-28 mpg). Most common response is that you should wait for a while to let the engine brake-in completely until you see an improvement on the gas mileage. Good luck.
    Don't count on good mileage until you have about 5k miles on your Tucson. I know from having owned a couple Hyundais, the car has to be broken in. My Tucs is getting about 18-19 mixed mileage right now. And if you live in a colder climate, your mileage will suffer even more as winter sets in.

I am enjoying my Tucs immensely. I even find myself going home the long way just so I can have a longer ride! Last weekend, we drove about 150 miles north to my husband's home town. I love the Tucs. I love sitting higher than a car (as high as some other full size SUV's) and seeing what's ahead of me (except when I get stuck behind a semi, of course!). I previously drove a 4-cyl (former Elantra owner), so the pickup on the 6 is a real treat! The turning radius is great. The car is quiet. I can adjust the seat to feel good, as I have lower back problems. I didn't even realize that the wiper blades, set at one of the interval settings, speed up as the car speeds up! I guess the only feature I wish I had was the outside temperature indicator/compass combo like my husband's Sport Trac has. But for the money, I think the Tucs is a great SUV
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    I'm replacing my large sedan and am strongly considering the Tucson. No one is more surprised than I to be in this position, but with regard to room, features, value and appearance I'm impressed.
         Couple questions.....could some of you who've purchased or seriously priced share the specifics of your deal. I'm hearing a variety of things from "nothing off" to "just over invoice". Experiences, numbers, and some info from owner would be welcome with my sincere thanks! Ironically--some of you state you have 6 or more Tucson's on the lots. Here in PA--the most I've seen on any lot is 2--one in the showroom and one unprepped in the back with the other new arrivals...
  • jones1009jones1009 Member Posts: 5
    We had a rather odd deal, so I may not be the best to answer your question. However, we were told a few times by the dealer that Hyundai has their vehicles priced close to cost so there isn't any "room to move" on the price.
    The first time we test drove the Tucson, the sales manager said that if we came back that night to purchase it, he would take $1000 off the sticker price, so that leads me to believe that there is "room to move". Our sticker was just over 21K and that included a sunroof (2wd), however, the sunroof thing was part of the "odd" deal.
    As far as in stock vehicles, our dealer told us that every Hyundai dealership had only gotten a couple in the last month, I'm guessing those people who live in large metro areas have dealers who've gotten more just from the amount of volume they do.
    Hope this helps.
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    a question for those that own or have driven a Tuscon. what style of tilt column does the tuscon have? is it like the santa fe or the honda crv? the tuscon looks like a great suv.
    Don't know what's on a Santa Fe or a CRV. There is a lever at the bottom of the column that you push down on to release. You then move the wheel and column together as a unit, up or down. You then pull up the lever at the base to tighten.
  • lakecrestlakecrest Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a Tucs about 3 weeks ago for my wife. I continue to be truly impressed, experiencing none of the problems that others are talking about - gas mileage is averaging 24mpg with 300 miles on odo with combo 50/50 city/freeway driving. No tranny hunting either, at all. I do question others driving habits, and maybe habitat. We live in a relatively flat area, and time ourselves through stoplights so that most are green as we cruise.

Buying experience: I suggest you find and go to the highest volume dealer, choose a day late in the month, and arrive about an hour before closing, telling them you will give them 1 hour to do the deal. I always ask to speak directly with the sales manager when I first go in, and make sure he/she knows that I know exactly what I want and know exactly what I want to pay ($ over invoice. Print a copy of the "carsdirect.com" target price and take it with you. Never act indecisive or timid; they will pounce on any perceived weakness. Can you tell I used to sell cars? I paid $300 over invoice and made them show me the invoice. Forget the sticker - deal only from invoice. You will find that info at carsdirect.com also. Remember transportation costs are not negotiable, so the target is $300 over invoice, then add in the transportation cost (listed on window sticker). Always be prepared to standup and say thank you and walk out. You can always come back tomorrow. That is the only way I truly I know I got my best deal. They hate to see a qualified customer walk away. Also remember that if you have a good credit history or can pay cash they need to know that up front. So many customers at this price point cannot come up with the funds to actually buy. Good luck.
    Like you, I have some experience in the car sales arena--my father owned a dealership and my brother was a sales manager for another dealer for years. I'm likely going to buy in the next few months and am impressed with the Tucson. Driving one today left me favorably impressed--not stunned--but favorably impressed. Problem I was having was not finding any specifics about deals and prices paid. I find that Edmunds TMV is usually too high
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I need some info about dealer fees and practices. I am looking at a Tucson LX AWD with sunroof and the dealer is quoting me a price that is supposedly 2% over invoice. Now according to the figures on this website the invoice price for this vehicle as optioned works out to $21894. With the 2% added, the price comes out to $23019. The hitch is some kind of zone advertising fee the salesman says Hyundai adds and that is $500 and he includes that in the price the 2% figure is calculated from bringing his calculated price to $23540. Is this legit or is he blowing smoke? Thanks in advance.
    Advertising fees are legit. Internet sites do not put them on their pricing lists because they vary by region. There is a discussion in the smart shopper section dedicated to this topic. Have you asked to see the invoice. If they are quoting you a price based on the invoice, then they shouldn't have a problem showing it to you. Don't try to argue the advertising fee. The dealer has paid it and so will you. Either way it sounds like a great deal on a hot car. I hope you get it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I wouldn't worry too much about negotiating the ad fees (or any other line items). If you concentrate on your out-the-door price, you'll get closer to a bottom line number, and you'll usually get there faster.

Good luck shopping!

Steve, Host
    Of course there are a variety of ways to approach these negotiations. I suspect it depends on your ability to--and interest in--sustain the "game". If you'd like to start from a reasonable space, show interest in seriously dealing, and save yourself some hassle; start at invoice plus $500. I'd be interested in hearing how things work out for you and what type of financing they offer--if you go the financing route. Best wishes..
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    I am looking for a Tucson LX V6 4WD Frost Alpine. Could someone provide information where I could find one already in the show room.

B
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I went to the dealer today to look at the Tucson LX today and came away with a deal. The price I questioned earlier ($23540) in this thread was set in stone, but I got a few other things that made the deal much better. I had a trade-in (2001 PT Cruiser base model with medium high mileage and some paint blemishes but otherwise good) that they first offered only $7000 for but I got them up to $8500 and got their $350 Signature paint treatment thrown in. In addition they were able to get me financing for 2% less than my credit union! All in all not a bad deal. I pick it up Thursday. Thanks all for the info.
  • socalgal1socalgal1 Member Posts: 1
    I've had a request out for 10 days to find a FWD LX, sunroof, gray interior in blue or alpine frost. Hyundai dealerships don't seem to have visibility into the pipeline. I was told nothing was even "on the boat" and then received a call today with news that a blue LX with beige interior was at the port. One of the dealerships I've been working with says they've gone through the regional manager. I've been in three showrooms over the last month or so and I don't think I've seen a 4WD yet. I'm just waiting....
  • delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    Just came across a very good review of the Tucson. Although this was written by a Canadian Auto reviewer for that market it is very well balanced and objective. Check out the article here:
    http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,Hyundai.spy?art- id=31441
    Ironically, all the Tucson's I've seen here in northeastern PA are 4WD--which is fairly typical here. I've not seen an Alpine Frost colored Tucson on a dealer lot, but did pass one the other day. I'd like to get a closer look before I decide on a color. Information from thecarconnectiondotcom suggests that production was delayed and decreased for some reason.
  • tisoletisole Member Posts: 1
    Today I decided to test drive the Tucson LX even though I am more likely to purchase a Jeep Liberty Limited loaded. Before I provide my first impressions, I'd like to first share my experience with the Hyundia web site and the Dealer.

The WEB SITE provides very minimal information. In fact the forum on Edmunds is more informative than www.hyundaiusa.com . My biggest complaint is Hyundia's lack of information on the 4WD drivetrain with Shiftronic, the Electronic Stability Control and the Traction Control Systems. These all sound like great features but little or no details are provided by the manufacturer. No mention on ground clearance or towing capacity, I assume there is no towing capacity since there was no tow option (???).

THE DEALER: There is too much to criticize but to summarize: high pressure, high initial pricing (started out at 25000 ! for the LX with package #3 and within 1 minute I had him down to $23,300) its obvious they will try to get what they can but to go 5% over MSRP... thats just greedy. Its obvious that there would be more room to negotiate price down from $23,300 but it will take a few more visits if I actually decide to buy the Tucson.

Hands-on and Test Drive:
    1) I was very impressed with the safety features, roof mounted side curtain air bags and seat side airbags! all Standard. The middle seat in back also had full cross shoulder seat belt.
    2) The back seats fold down completely flat and flush with the rear cargo area! I wish American cars did that! The back of the seats had a thick ABS plastic covering to protect the seats from cargo stored on the seat backs as well as add a friction free aspect to the expanded cargo area when the seats are folded down. In addition the seats lock down when folded. The front passenger seat also folds forward completely flat as well as recline completely. In all cases I never needed to remove the headrests while configuring the various seat positions.
    3) There is a half width but full 16" diameter spare tire accessible from the inside cargo area. A decent compromise when space is a premium.
    4) Dashboard lighting very nice, test drove at night and I found everything either by touch or visual fairly quickly. Back lighting was light gold tint. Much more soothing than the typical green lighting. The only instrument light slightly obstructed from view was the left seat heater switch from the parking brake. All other instruments were well lit and visible. I wish the RPM gauge was bigger and more to the center but this is because I only drive manual vehicles.
    5)Transmission, SHIFTRONIC. Overall shifting manual was smooth and typical of most automatics I've test driven lately, but the SHIFTRONIC was nicely layed out. With the shifter in DRIVE, just lean the shifter to the right and a display indicates the gear the car is in. Then either press shifter up or down to up/down shift. The gauge displayed the current gear as you dropped through the gears. My impression as a manual only driver was that I was straining to hear the engine in order to feel when to shift and since the RPM gauge was not very notable I found the shifter to be cool and mechanically sound but more of a nice feature than a necessity for most drivers. I would need to drive the car more before determining if its worth the potential wear and tear on the transmission for the feature.
    The dealer said since the trans. is on a 100K warranty, use the shifter and save the brakes! Okay so I'm still bitter about the sales folks but this is the kind of nonsense that comes outta these guys!
    The electronic stability control on or off did not seem any different but a 10 minute test drive wasn't enough for me to tell how improved the car handled when this feature was enabled.
    6) Power was sufficient for most commuters but considering the 19/24 MPG I expected more power as I punched it from a red light. Similar to the Subaru Forester 165 hp which is about 300 Lbs lighter.
    7) Seats: comfort(front)was average nothing negative to point out only wish they offered power seats. The back seats I thought were very comfortable considering they were back seats. After all how many people sit in the back seat of their own car? I was impressed plus the back seats reclined back as well.
    8) The only issue I found to be bothersome was that when I hit bumps in the road the rear end shocks sounded like they were clunking. Not sure what I was hearing but my 1998 forester with 185000 miles still is quiet over the bumps.

OVERALL if you can pull off invoice on this car with a good rate or invoice and cash back bonus in a few months, then this car is a great value. I was impressed with the overall design and build quality considering the price. I might actually get one if I loose my interest in a 2005 jeep liberty limited (loaded) is 24475 with all the incentives.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    From what I have been reading it appears that Hyundai will be coming out with their new 4 cylinder (2.0 & 2.4) and 6 cylinder (3.3 & 3.8) engines next year. If this is true, will the Tucson get the 3.3L for the 2006 MY? If so, it may pay to wait until next year to get a Tucson, as I understand the 3.3 will be much better than the 2.7.
    I wouldn't anticipate a larger engine in the Tucson any time soon. Mainly because of size restrictions. The Tucson and Tiburon use the same platform as the elantra which probably would not accomodate an engine of that size. Also, Gas mileage is a primary concern with an SUV in this class. They have class leading power with the current V6, while people are criticizing the mpg so putting in a larger engine would cause two more objections.
  • dlb14frostdlb14frost Member Posts: 29
    According to the Tucson specs and the Sportage specs, looks to me like they are twin sisters. Anyone know how similar they will be. Sportage is not out yet, but due by the end of the year .
  • kidokido Member Posts: 3
    sportage and tucson share same platform
    just like sonata and optima
    and here are some info of next hyundai's engine
    theta:2.0 144PS, 2.4 166PS sonata
    mu:2.7 TG(next XG)
    lambda:3.3 233PS, 3.8 sonata,TG,BH(first luxary brand??)
    tau:4.6 343PS, 5.0 373PS
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Today, Hyundai enjoys a reputation as a builder of sturdy vehicles that still undercut the competition by thousands of dollars, but no longer at the cost of refinement and dependability."

First Drive: 2005 Hyundai Tucson

Steve, Host
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    especially will it be so if you watch your total ringing up and the haggling doesn't allow extra charges from left field to trickle in. Here is where I like the Scion philosophy of "negative haggling". The small SUV seems to have everything you'd want, including the extra traction with a flick of the "button on the left of the dash" for slippery driving conditions. Most of us don't 4-wheel, anyway, so that should be sufficient. It is a nice looking body design, too.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• naybonaybo Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know what the towing capacity is for the Tucson...? I can not seem to locate it anywhere.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    It took a whole 5 seconds to find it.

TOWING CAPACITY
    With trailer brake 1,500 lbs. (2.0-liter)
      2,000 lbs. (2.7-liter)
    Without trailer brake: 1,000 lbs. (2.0-liter)
      1,000 lbs. (2.7-liter
  • naybonaybo Member Posts: 2
    Great thanks that will help with my decision whether to buy or not. Appreciate it.
  • emmett1emmett1 Member Posts: 20
    Hello all. I just wanted to give a quick review of the Tucson. My wife and I test drove a few smaller SUVs, including the VUE, Santa Fe, and RAV4, but loved the Tucson. Living in southern NJ I really didn't want/need 4x4, and the combo of anti-lock brakes, traction control and electronic stability control is more than enough for the weather here. The pickup was fine for us ( 2 kids, where am I speeding to? ), and even with the rebates on an '04 Santa Fe, we got the best deal on the Tucson. Toyota was typical Toyota, and even trading in my wife's 98 Lexus, they acted like they were doing US a favor, but their attitude is another story. We purchased a GLS in nautical blue with grey interior and LOVE it. We just got back from a 700 mile round trip road trip to Pittsburgh to see my beloved Steelers and it ran like a top. Hills or turnpike speeds, neither one fazed it. The stereo is suprisingly decent, and an MP3 standard is a nice feature. The sticker was 19,999 or 20,594 with destination charge, and we paid 19,400 plus shipping, and that included the window etching insurance scam, I mean safety program, which I didn't feel was a bad deal at all, considering there are no rebates and no special financing right now. Warranty and recent Hyundai quality ratings make this an easy choice for people looking for a smaller SUV, and I say that after owning my wife's Lexus for 5 years. The front/rear side airbags also make it a no-brainer. No matter what choice you make, good luck and Merry Christmas!
    Jim Mateja of the Chicago Tribune had a favorable review of the Tucson in last Sunday's edition. Go to http://www.chicagotribune.com/mateja and you should be redirected to his recent column page.
  • kaurielkauriel Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 05 Tucson GLS, but I am not sure how the mp3 player works. I couldn;t really find much about it in the manual. Does anyone know how to get mp3s on it? Love the tucson though!!! It drives great and has so many safety features.