Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• Options
    kaurielkauriel Member Posts: 3
    I just replaced my large sedan with the Tucson and it was a great move. I didn't want to compromise the great features of a big heavy car, and the Tucson is a great move. The dealer I went to in MA said that they don't charge much over the invoice, but they did take $400 off because I kept complaining about paying sticker. The only incentives right now are for if you already own a hyundai or if you own certain SUVs. I felt that for the price of what I received though, the Tucson was a great value. I really love it and look forward to driving it for many years to come.
  • Options
    dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    There should be a separate manual
    for the radio. I don't know if the Tucson
    has the same Kenwood as on the '04 GT, but
    it came with its own book (it's a little complicated).
  • Options
    thejman2thejman2 Member Posts: 7
    I have negotiated a price with a dealer to buy a 2005 Tucson LX AWD w/ sunroof for:

$23,400 including advertising, shipping, dealer fees, etc... this is a true out the door price. (Sales tax not included.)

In addition, we're getting the $1000 loyalty rebate, bring the total purchase price to $22,400. Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    ess2ess2 Member Posts: 4
    After 2 months of looking, test driving, and pricing I jumped for joy when I found everything I was looking for rolled into one vehicle. The Tucson!
    I bought the LX before Thanksgiving, most of this SUV were still in the port, so I settled for the only LX the dealer had black with gray interior. I LOVE IT! $22,000 before all the other $$ added on.
    No negatives about this gem. Hyundai thanks for getting it all together. Put in on your check out list if you need a new vehicle.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    on my list of "possibilities" for next new car. Whenever that time comes to trade the Kia Sportage 4x4 in it will be interesting to test drive both the new model Tucson and the re-designed Kia Sportage. It is reviews like the one above that say all that needs to be said about a new rig, eh? Anybody out there holding their breath for '05 Hyundai Tucson skidpad numbers? Does the business of reviewing new cars go a little hardcore sometime? HyunKia's climb to the top is most enjoyable to watch and savor, indeed.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Sounds Good! $24,094 Sticker, $22,579 = advertising Invoice.
    The $1,000 rebate was a great enhancement to the deal.
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Have you tried putting MP3s on a CD, then playing the CD in the Tuscon?
  • Options
    kaurielkauriel Member Posts: 3
    No, not yet. But I am wondering if there is a separate mp3 feature because the other models lacked mp3 and most cd players will play mp3.
  • Options
    shaftfushaftfu Member Posts: 2
    Generally Car Stereo "Mp3" Players will play MP3s that have been copied to a CD (CD-R, etc) They tend not to have an internal hard drive like you would find with an Ipod or other portable MP3 player.

Regular car CD players will not play MP3 files and typically what happens when you burn MP3s (leagally of course) from your comoputer your burning program will convert them to .CDA files which will would be recognized by your car CD player.

Try burning the actual MP3 to a CD-R (do not covert to .CDA or .wav) and see if the stereo in the tuscon will play the CD. Typically you can fit only about 20 or less on a cd when mp3s are converted to CDA...you should be able to fit 100+ actual mp3 files on a cd.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I was quoted a price of $21,105.00 for a Tuscon LX. The dealer said this was $100.00 over "INVOICE". Edmunds, KBB and Cars.com all show MSRP at 21,844.. and the "INVOICE" at $20,505.00. When I questioned the dealer about this differenceof $600.00, I was told that "ALL" Hyundai invoices include a 500.00 advertising fee.Is this a fact??? This was all done via the internet, so I did not get to see if, in fact, the $500.00 is part of the Window sticker. I always have read that if something is not on the actual mfg. window sticker, it is an added dealer fee???
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    The advertising fee is real. It is not on the window sticker, but it is on the invoice. The dealer has paid it and so will you.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "If the ad fee is in the car's invoice, paying it seems unavoidable. If it has been written into the dealership's contract as an additional item, you may be able to get it removed. We know buyers who have protested the fee and successfully bought the car without paying it."

10 STEPS TO BUYING A NEW CAR

Instead of worrying about the various fees, concentrate on your out the door price. That way you worry about your bottom line and let the dealer worry about how to allocate the money you are going to be paying.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I think the only reason that dealerships acknowledge the advertising fee as a separate part of the invoice is because the online information sites are very accurate with invoice information, but advertising can vary by region and therefore cannot be given accurately. I would also assume that ad fees can change at any time, so it would be impossible for these sites to keep up with the actual cost.
  • Options
    "Since ad fees are regional, Edmunds.com does not track or provide such local fees."

What is an "advertising fee" and should I pay it?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    If Edmunds doesn't then some other place should track the fees for each region, so you can verify the fee or the fee amount the dealer claims is correct.
    Maybe there is no legitimate fee that applies to the vehicle you're purchasing, maybe the fee is $300 and the dealer claims it is $600 etc..
  • Options
    Demand to see the invoice (the real invoice if you know what I mean).

Or just skip the games, figure out your price, and stick to it :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I checked three different dealerships in three different areas of the USA and they all say the $500.00 fee is legit. It is just hard to believe that an LX Tuscon is:MSRP 21,844 (this includes the dest. charge) and the invoice is $20,505(Edmunds,KBB and CarsDirect) but the actual Hyundai factory invoice shows $21,005.00. This means there is only a dealer profit of $839.00. Either they get a great holdback percentage or a manufacturer incentive?????
    Your advice is correct...Set a pre-arranged price and shoot for the OTD deal.Either that or wait about six months for the rebates to kick in.
  • Options
    Dealers make profit from more sources than only the difference between invoice and selling price. They can make profit even if it appears they are selling the car for $0 over the posted invoice or even less than invoice.
  • Options
    arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    Hi all - Just a friendly reminder from someone who is actually from Tucson, AZ. The vehicle is the 'Tucson', just like the city, not the 'Tuscon' (a word that does not exist anywhere). The 'c' comes before the 's'. :-)
  • Options
    Arizonajoe...I stand corrected. My mistake.Oh well, I spelled Hyundai correctly!!!
  • Options
    The specs show tires at 235mmx16...What brand are the tires?
  • Options
    BF Goodrich
  • Options
    Where in SouthJersey did you purchase your Tucson??????
  • Options
    Emailed the local Hyundai dealer (So.Jersey) and they quoted me invoice plus $100.00. From the info I gained at this Tucson topic, I was aware of the extra $500.00 dealer advertising fee on all the invoices...so...I figured that would mean I could get the Tucson for $600.00 over the Edmunds,KBB and cars Direct invoice price. WRONG!!They had every vehicle with the ADM sticker right next to the Mulrooney sticker. ADM of $982.00 for pinstriping, fabric protection, paint sealant and window etching...Every new vehicle on their lot.
       I immediatly got back inmy vehicle and left the dealership.
  • Options
    dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    I hope you told them why, first!
  • Options
    I was checking the E Bay Tuscon accessory board and noticed that ther is now a 2" trailer hitch available for the Tuscon.
       Curt receiver Hich #12525
       weight 4000/400 2.5 Hitch 2"receiverFrom the looks of it, it is easily installed with no drilling. I believe the price was $99.95 plus $27.00 shipping. I know that the Curt receivers have a good rep.
  • Options
    The year 2010 is still a five year wait.
  • Options
    mar55mar55 Member Posts: 11
    Hi everyone. I just test drove 2 Tucson’s today from 2 different dealers. I like the Tucson a lot but noticed one thing. After both test drives I smelt a burning (oil) smell. Both dealers said that its because it’s a new car and that it goes away after about 500 miles. Anybody else notice this? And if so and you bought it did it go away? Thanks
  • Options
    That's a pretty typical concern about new cars --the undercarriage often gets coated with something for shipping and it smells. Usually the stuff burns off in a couple of weeks or so. I noticed it on my Nissan when it was new.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Thanks Steve, I'm glad to hear that.
  • Options
    Did any of the two dealers offer you a better deal than msrp??
  • Options
    dolomitedolomite Member Posts: 20
    heya folks, I too join the ranks among the slowly growing numbers of Tuscon owners. Actually, i think there is only like 4 other people in the Washington DC area thats owns one right now....but I havent seen any. This is actually my second car ever - I traded in my beat up 93 Ford Probe GT for $600 (thats actually $100 more than I expected).

Anyways, I just checking out the specs and features of the Tuscon was enough for me to buy it already, but the dealer guy recommended i take a test drive first before making any decision. So I did and it was an incredible experience. I had the luxury of riding in my friend's TJ jeep, RAV4, and Sportage before and none of them came close to the smooth ride of the Tuscon. I was able to take sharper turns without any wobbling than I did with my Probe.

I personally thought the interior was nice, didnt have any complaints on that - although I didnt really like the placement of the cruise controls.

So anyways I made the purchase for GLS 4wd and did some serious driving in it - I already drive close to 100 miles a day - 25 miles to school one direction and 25 miles to work the other direction and I notice how much gas it guzzles up. A lot more than what I expected. Also, these past few weeks since I got the Tuscon, I've been drving like an old lady (no offense to any old ladies here) barely reving the engine past 3000 rpms and was suddenly getting the impression that the Tuscon was not that swift a vehicle. So then recently I decided to give it some push and finnally notice how much power this heavy thing has. It went flying through the i-495 highway. I also did a test from 0-60 mph and I got approx 8.5 or 9 secs(dont quote me on this one since I'm doing the driving and timming) which is not too bad for a heavy beast like this.

Anyways, overall I think this is a great vehicle and will definately serve me well through school and graduation and hopefully a new decent job.

BTW, that wierd smell is common in ALL new Hyundai vehicles - its that coating they spray on the engine and undercarriage when transporting from South Korea so the engine wont somehow get dammaged from salty ocean water(if thats even possible). It does burn off and go away after about 500 miles. I forgot i even had it until reading about it here.....
  • Options
    I didn’t get a chance to negotiate yet because they both didn’t have the one I want on the lot (GLS 4WD Red/Beige). And I also have a trade in (99 Elantra With 45,000). One gave an estimate of 1,500 for that I think is way too low. When I ask what the discount from invoice they said not much but they’ll work with me. I may go back soon to see what kind of deal I can get but I just bought a Sonata in October so I’m not in a hurry. I like the sonata a lot but I think the seats arte too hard. I took the back off the driver’s side and added padding so it’s better but not as comfortable as the Tucson. Anyway I’ll have to sit some more in the Tucson to see if I really like the seat. Glad to hear that others noticed the oil smell and it’s normal for new cars, Thanks
  • Options
    Check out your trade-in value via one of the internet auto forums (KBB.com) or Edmunds. I just checked the rebates and incentives and cannot find anything for the Tucson. I went to a dealer yesterday for a test drive of a Tucson LX. The internet person had assured me that their dealership has "NO EXTRA ADD_ONS". I drove 35 miles one way and when I got there and went into the showroom....GUESS WHAT" ($1000.00 ADM for pinstriping, fabric protection and paint sealant...plus they had another two grand for mag wheels). This was on a SantFe...the Tucson had the $1000.00 add-on for the aforementioned. Needless to say, I took the test drive. Then the salesman tried to get me back into the showroom to "talk to the sales mgr." I told him "FORGET IT" and drove back home. Sooner or later I will find a Hyundai dealer that does not use ADM stickers. I,also, am in no hurry, and I will wait till I find the right deal and perhaps by then Hyundai will offer some incentives on the Tucson...as it is a very competative segment of the SUV market..(RAV4, Honda CRV, Ford Escape,Mazda Tribute and a couple of others).

The dealer will always low-ball you on the trade-in. There is a forum here at Edmunds that will give a reasonable idea of what the dealer should be offering you. Good luck.
  • Options
    is a forum here at Edmunds that will give a reasonable idea of what the dealer should be offering you

That would be Real-World Trade-In Values.

I hope you told your salesperson why you weren't bothering to go back into the showroom.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I just received a phone call from another Hyundai dealership So.Jersey inviting me to take a test drive of the Tucson. Told her I took one yesterday and because of the ADM sticket ($1000.00) I walked. She then tried to explain to me that all dealers of imported cars have this ADM because ...get this...The foreign cars do not come thru with pinstriping, paint sealant and fabric protection. I then told her that neither do the "American vehicles" and NOT ALL dealers do the ADM trick. I told her "Forget IT"...I WILL find a dealer that does NOT do the ADM trick". End of our conversation.

I know this is a long post, but it really Pi--es me off to think that dealers believe all potential customers are idiots. However, I will agree that some people (evidently a lot of them)go for the old ADM trick. It must work!
  • Options
    "I hope you told the salesperson why you weren't going back into the showroom."

YOU bet I did.

Mar55...if you read my post, can you tell me what dealership you are negotiating with?...Sounds as though they have no ADM stickers?????

I tried to Email you, but you have it marked private. Or perhaps you can Email to me...mine is listed.
  • Options
    Abies...

I had previously checked their prices. This is what I came up with...

Fitz price LXFWD with moonroof

MSRP....23,354.00 Invoice...21,881.00

Handling fee 99.00

Total....21,980.00

EdmundsMSRP22,594.00 Invoice 21,173.00 plus the $99.00 fee....................21,272.00

Now there is a 500.00 adv.fee on all Hyundai manufacturers invoices that has to be paid.That makes the eEdmunds invoice an Actual 21,673.00. Somehow the Fitzmall Md. price does not jive. There is a discrepency of $313.00 overage on the Fitz. figures. I emailed them to ask about what extra fees but never got a response. I will try again today and see if I get a reply. So far, that still seems to be the best pricing around, although I have not found anyone on the net that actually purchased from them. Any takers??? Their website claims no extra fees, except for TT/L and the 99.00 fee. I believe Florida Fitz there is a $299.00 extra fee. Why the difference, I do not know. I will ask them. Plus, if you have a trade-in...do they low-ball you??? If you are buying without a trade-in..it seems legit.
  • Options
    Actually the salesman I had I met through the net and we have a good relationship. He told me he thought that it was low also and to come back when there was a different appraiser there. I’m still not ready to buy yet even though I get the $1,000 loyalty discount. I did not see any ADM stickers. I noticed wood grain at one dealer but didn’t notice a charge for it.
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    KBB is offered price, not sales price (unless things have changed). About the only time it's valid is if you need a ridiculously high sticker showing KBB price to slap on a window of a used car you're offering for sale. Haven't checked it out recently but a couple of years ago the difference was approximately $1200 v. $2400 on an old Pontiac that I was buying for my mother-in-law. Edmunds has generally been dead on from my experience.
  • Options
  • Options
    KBB has several different values. A retail value, a private party value and a trade-in value. You are referring to the "retail" value.

There is no generic KBB price.
  • Options
    Auto Channel

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I need some opinions about leather vs. cloth seats. I’m thinking of getting the GLS (Red/Beige) but I like the look of the leather seating in the LX over the cloth in the GLS (both in beige and gray). Is there anyone can say the pros and cons of leather, i.e. do they get really hot and sticky in the summer? Are they worth the extra Thousand+ in price? Thanks
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    FWIW, I have a Tucson LX w/grey interior and the heated leather seats are fantastic in the cool and cold weather. My wife drives a Sonata LX with black leather seats and she never complained about her seats being too hot, sticky, etc, during the summer. She just wishes her seats were heated like mine after driving my Tucson.
  • Options
    My last three vehicles have had leather seating. No problem and I spend most of my time in Florida and some summertime in NJ. They are easy to care for. I happen to use Lexol leather conditioner about four times a year. Wipe on, wipe off. I will say that leather does have a tendency to make your (butt) area sweat.... (if you are a sweaty type person such as myself). As for the 1000.00 extra, that also includes the upgraded stereo system with the 6CD changer.

This is a personal decision that you will have to make. Once I purchased my first "leather seat" vehicle, I never went back to cloth.I am sure there are millions of car owners that never want leather and vice-versa.

Good luck with whatever decision you decide upon.
  • Options
    Thanks for your opinions Tenpin288 and nortsr1. I appreciate it. I just got back from the dealer and so far have not purchased. There are no Tucson’s in my color combination in either GLS or LX so it’s hard to bargain if it’s not on the lot. I may wait a few months until supplies are up and maybe incentives get better. I get the feeling that the dealers don’t make much on this car yet because it’s new. They would rather sell the Santa Fe’s. I’m not in a hurry so I’ll just keep my eyes open and keep on checking the net. Thanks again
  • Options
    dolomitedolomite Member Posts: 20
    I never liked the leather feeling - guess it was due to my childhood experience when it used to burn me in my dad's oldsmobile. Although the heated seats do sounds intruiging especially in the winter, I stuck with the regular material. Just my opinion.