Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• chazzchazz Member Posts: 4
    I believe both models come with a thin spare tire.

Does anyone know whether you can fit a full size regular tire in the well (without disrupting the flat floor) for either model?

Thanks
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    I looked at the Sportage yesterday and it had a full size spare tire underneath the back floor board and cargo tray. Do not know if it was a matching alloy wheel. I think not. Because, as I recall, the rim was black. Indicating it was a steel rim.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Kia Sportage does indeed have a full size spare under wraps in the rear cargo area.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    My Tucson will not take a full size tire in the specified space below the rear cargo area... Donut spare only. BTW, the 235-60/16 tire is a big tire. If the Sportage has a full size tire under the cargo area, it must be riding on narrower tires, or has a deep wheel well for its spare.

I installed mud flaps a few weekends ago, and it was not easy. You must remove the tires to do it. And of course the holes on the flaps don't match up with the holes in the cladding that mounts it to the sheet metal, so you have to drill new ones. Its basically a two man job holding the flaps tight against the side of the wheel well cladding while you drill the new holes. I managed to do it by myself but having an extra pair of hands would have really helped.

After they are on though - sharp!
  • rickhawaiirickhawaii Member Posts: 3
    hmmmm Yes I must agree with you dolomite mine does too.
    Got to love the LX model.
    aloha
  • rickhawaiirickhawaii Member Posts: 3
    You got to love the Road side assistance 5 year .. unlimitted miles for free.
    My hands won't touch the tire if I could have someone come out and do it myself.
    Plus living in Hawaii I could work on the Tan sitting off side the road.
    :o)
    Aloha
  • xg350guyxg350guy Member Posts: 28
    Are mudflaps am option outside of Canada? Mine came with them, but the spare is a smaller tire on a steel wheel.

Say, can someone check if the trip computor is available from a US Hyundai dealer, and that I can drive over to Buffalo and buy it and either install mayself or have them do it. I miss it from my XG. Same goes for the rear auto dimming mirror with compass. Let me know as I'm without some creature comforts.

My GLS up here loves the snow, so I hope Ponsitany Pete gives me more white gold to play in.

Chill'in in the North!
  • trevoratrevora Member Posts: 2
    I am not so sure a full size tire would not fit.
    I opened the spare tire well today in my Tucson GLS.
    The tire is a limited use donut, but it is the largest one I have seen, it is close to the size of the real tire in both height and width. I was not able to determine for sure if the real tire would fit but if not it sure would be close to fitting. The limit value might be the width, but a thinner foam filler above the tire would help give more width.
  • romaldromald Member Posts: 1
    I bought tucson 5speed manual 3 months bk
    1.the gears shift is too hard especially lower gears. something the gear gets stuck and will not shift, i have bring it to neutral and then change the gear.
    2. the ash tray box is not working anymore
    3. i started getting vibration sound in the trunk door.
    Note. I had a problem in the belt on the second day of purchase.

Did any come across any issues with tucson?
  • smysmy Member Posts: 2
    After the first time I used my four wheel drive on my brand new Tucson (less than 1 month old), the 4x4 malfunctioned, the car was useless even in 2 wheel drive. Anyone else have any problems after engaging the 4x4?
  • 238000238000 Member Posts: 48
    THE TUCSON HAS A FULL SPARE TIRE INSIDE IN A REAR WELL.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    No reason to yell at everybody (caps lock). Anyway it is a compact spare. The size is 155 90r16.
    I've had my Tucson for abaout three weeks, only about600 miles, and so far, no problems. It's been great in snow, although I haven't tried the full 4-wheel drive, I wonder what's going on there
    with yours? It shifts great, about the same as my 2003 Sonata. The ash tray box, who cares? and a belt should be easy to fix.
  • knighthawkeknighthawke Member Posts: 5
    Darn....good deal......where was the dealership?
  • knighthawkeknighthawke Member Posts: 5
    I've been reading all these messages.....and wondering....what would convice one to go wit hthe Tucson over the Santa Fe? I know mileage is a bit better, but given the fact there are no dealer incentives for the Tucson.....a fully loaded Santa Fe not only has the $1k Rebate....but also a $1K Loyalty rebate. You do seem to get a lot more with the Santa Fe over the Tucson for not that much more aftre rebates. So what convinced you? I'm asking as I'm debaing on buying the Santa Fe this month (wife is expecting twins....need the room *L*)....but have also looked at the Tucson.
    Re: Your problems with the 4X4 exactly what do you mean the care was useless? I haven't tried the 4X4 since I don't really need it and it sounds so complex and possibly problematical,I may never use it.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    I'd suggest you go with the Sante Fe. With twins you won't really be able to fold down the rear seats to expand the cargo area and the Tucson's cargo area seems quite a bit smaller than the SF. I was at the dealer getting my wife's Elantra an oil change so I looked at the models in the showroom. The Tucs was nice but I don't think the cargo area would be large enough for a pair of strollers (or 1 large one) + all the other associated baby stuff and still have room for groceries/shopping bags.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • pdc2pdc2 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 02 Escape AWD XLT, with a switch to engage and lock the 'transmission' so that it becomes a 4 wheel drive full time.
    However, according to the hand book, the 4 wheel drive must not be engaged for use on DRY pavement because damage would be caused to the transmission.
    It is possible that your Tucson might have the same type of features.
  • tucson77tucson77 Member Posts: 2
    I have a severe leakage issue with my Tucson's sunroof. I was hoping some of the contributors to this forum could check their vehicle's sun-roofs the next time they're going through a car-wash or parked near their garden hose at home. You really need to inspect the sun-roof for these leaks as it doesn't actually drip into the interior of the car, but rather silently into the drip channel/tray under the seals.

Incredibly, the dealership's claiming that this is perfectly normal and that all sunroofs leak profusely, stating that the drip channels are designed to accommodate these new style of "leaking sunroofs" ..... I've never had a sunroof leak in any other car, including my Hyundai Elantra.

It's dripping along the entire back seal.... and at quite a rate. I first noticed it while going through a car wash and again when testing it with a garden hose (not high pressured) at home. The same thing happens when it's raining hard.

I took it to the dealership where I purchased it. On the 1st visit they stated that indeed there must be a problem as it was not normal for a sunroof to leak at all. They made some adjustments and claimed they had fixed it. I took it through another car-wash and it still leaked. I called them back and the tech stated that a really high powered carwash might force a small amount of water under the seals, but that if I tested it with a garden hose it should be fine .... So I tested with a garden hose, gently pouring water on the roof - and it still leaked.

So I took it back again ... Unbelievably, the dealership is now claiming that this is actually a perfectly normal behavior for the Tucson's sunroof and that it was actually designed by Hyundai to leak a little bit and that that was what the drip channels were actually for ...... "Normal leakage". They called me over to the side of a building where they had another new Tucson parked and showed me that when they poured water over it with a hose, it too leaked (which it did - and it was literally pouring into the drip channels ....)

Either they staged this demonstration for my benefit by compromising this other sunroof, or, Tucsons in general have a very serious design flaw with their sunroofs.

I would greatly appreciate your comments, observations etc ...
    I have about 635 miles on my Tucson, and have had it in a car. wash twice and wahed it myself with a hose on a mild day (Connecticut in March). We have also had severe weather, and I haven't noticed any leakage. But it doesn't seem reasonable for a care to leak. I'd contact Hyundai for satisfaction which I did when I had a brake problem with my Sonata, and it was resolved satisfactorily.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I have had my Tucson since November and I haven't seen any sign of leakage from or around the sunroof. I've taken mine through the carwash a number of times. I would definitely press the dealer to get this fixed or tell them you are going to take it to the next level and get Hyundai USA involved.
  • alpine1alpine1 Member Posts: 51
    >

If it is NOT dripping into the interior of the car then there is NO leak. If the interior of the car gets wet, then there is a leak.
  • tucson77tucson77 Member Posts: 2
    I disagree. If it's leaking through the seals it's leaking - Period! The drain channels are a redundancy feature built in for extreme cases of high water pressure or when you forget to un-tilt the roof and it starts to rain. A leak is a leak regardless of whether the seats get wet. What if the drain channels get plugged up with debris and water collects and drains into the car or through the roof. What about mold or rust? It's not an inherent design feature to have a sun-roof leak ..... Also, other replys appear to indicate that it's not normal for it to leak......
    Does anybody know exactly how the electronic stabilization works. I have the Tucson LX and it has all of those features, esp, traction control, etc. Also, how does the all-the-time 4 wheel drive work? Does it kick in if you start to skid. The Tucson is such a solid car, that I've taken it to vacant parking lots, trying to get it to skid,to see how these featurees work, and it just won't skid.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    The Santa Fe is Butt Ugly!!!!!!!!!
    From the review of the Tucson at:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/job.aspx?modelid=11511&src=Home&pos=Edit3

Four-wheel-drive Tucsons come with a Borg Warner torque management system that monitors wheel traction, among other things.

Normally, 99 percent of the engine power goes to the front wheels, but if slippage is detected, up to 50 percent of the power can be sent automatically to the back. This 50-50 arrangement can be locked into place with the push of a button on the dashboard, too.
  • smysmy Member Posts: 2
    Well by useless, I mean the car was bucking (or taking off like a bat out of you know where, as the service mgr. descibed it), even when it wasn't in 4x4, so you aren't able to drive it around. It was at the dealer 7 days! They said it was a computer issues, and it was fixed. 12 hours later the exact same thing happened. Back to the dealer where they now say...there is nothing wrong. I will never, ever, ever, buy Hyundai again!!! Honda or toyota and that is it! I have a file open with Hyundai corp. on my vehicle (or lack thereof).
  • delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    Hello sorry to hear about your drama with Tucson. I'm certain there is a fix for your new vehicle. Hyundai is definitely concerned about resolving issues for their customers. You'll see. It's times like these when you can swear off a brand based on a bad experience like that. That's understandable.

Now I'm not saying that you're not justified in feeling upset, disappointed and downright frustrated but remember even Toyotas and Hondas have their share of problems also. I happen to like both brands and they both have excellent reputations and reliability ratings but remember they also have their share of problems.

Hyundai wants and need satisfied owners. Give them a chance to get things right. Good luck.
  • key1cckey1cc Member Posts: 7
    My GLS 4WD 6 cyl. Tucson currently has 800 miles

1st tank of gas I got ~ 18mpg
    2nd tank I got 15.5 mpg.
    I drive 90% city 10% highway
    Went through car wash twice sunroof never leaked.
    I bought it in NJ.
    I paid 22.2K total (not including tax & tags) including sunroof and mud flaps.
    So far no negative issues and I've experimented with every feature multiple times.

Any other Tucson owners care to compare info?

Key1
    Yes, I have about 700 miles and am getting 20 mpg around town, have had it washed at a power wash three times, no leakage, and I love the vehicle.

As for the 50-50 4 w.d., I'm scared to try it.
    Has anybody else tried it?
    I've had my Tucson for 700 pleasurable, trouble-free miles, so far, but this is regarding tire pressure. When I first got the car, I thought that it rode a little hard, but cornered like a sports car (well, almost). I checked the tire pressure, and it was 35 psi all around. The placard on the car said that the mileage should be 30 all around. The manual also stressed the importance of usig the correct mileage. So, i reduced the pressure to 30 psi, and found that the vehicle has a much softer ride, and floats over bumps and road imperfections. Comments?
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    gas AND tire mileage. I always try to keep 35-36 psi. The Tucson may have a different suspension or Hyundai may be repeating the old Ford/Firestone mistake of soft ride over safety.

Mark Salem used to have a radio show in St. Louis, he now is on TV in the Phoenix area (home of his shop). Here's his take on tires:

"The inflation information on the tire will describe the maximum inflation of that tire cold. This is the most that tire should ever be aired to. The owners manual may describe a slightly lower inflation number. Anywhere in between will be fine for any car or SUV or light truck. But remember this:

Using the higher inflation numbers (35-44 psi) will keep the tire cooler, give you better fuel economy but you will sacrifice ride quality. The ride of the car will be harsher than with softer tire pressures.

Using the lower inflation numbers (28-35 psi) will give you a soft, smooth ride but your tires will run hotter and your fuel economy will be between 1-5% less than with fully inflated tires.

I always inflate my customers tires to the maximum inflation figure written on the side of their tire. The only exception is a "Z" rated high performance tire, like ones on a Corvette, Camaro, 300ZX. I do not inflate them to their maximum of 44 psi, but use 35 psi as our upper limit on these tires. Otherwise the ride is way too harsh."

http://www.marksalem.com/salem-faqs/default.asp?Action=Q&ID=55
  • shane1vshane1v Member Posts: 11
    Hi!
    I hope to buy a used Tucson as soon as some good ones show up for a good price.
    Any ideas what a left over new Tucson would cost in say, December/Jan?(dealer)
    A used one in Dec/Jan with maybe 10k miles?
    Soes Hyundai have "certified" used cars?

ALSO- I hear the original warranty is not passed to the new owner, that the new owner gets a shorter Warrnty... Any insight people?
    thank you!
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Second owners of any Hyundai receive the balance of the original 5yr 60,000 mile warranty. The 10yr powertrain does not transfer.

I would not expect to see too many used Tucsons in the near future. To the best of my knowledge they are not in rental fleets which is where you typically find current model year used cars coming from.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe one that's not so good for your pocketbook:

"Of the new introductions, Land Rover LR3, Chrysler 300 and Hyundai Tucson sold at the smallest discounts -- 0.1%, 2.8% and 3.6% below sticker price, respectively."

New Models Currently Selling at Widely Divergent Discounts (PR Newswire)

Steve, Host
    a used Tucson in December of 05? Maybe $15,000-$18,000, depending upon mileage and condition. And, yes, the new owner doesn't get all of the warranties -this should be clarified with the Hyundai dealer. Comments?
  • delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    That's an excellent find. Read that article and it really shows how much Hyundai has moved up in degree and demand.
  • unhappy2unhappy2 Member Posts: 1
    To make a long story short... I quite smoking 5 yrs ago and I wanted to reward myself with a new car that had never been smoked in. I chose a Hyundai Elantra (I was told that it was new ) Come to find out after we got the car home - after we signed on the dotted line of corse, we found cigarett butts in the ashtray and also on the way home we noticed the windshield was pitted real bad. I called the dealership up and complained and we were treated like - oh well it's yours now! After arguing with the sales mg.. they agreed to DE-Smoke the car. I can still smell it and after complaining about the windshield several times they finally agreed to change it out - after a written complaint. Also found out that the car was a DEMO.... Not a brand new car. I like the car but I feel I was done wrong by the sales and I would think twice before purchasing another from the dealership. It was hard not to cry over the whole deal. I feel that I was taken advantage of for the sales man knew the reason I was getting a new car. I didn't want one that had the cigarett smell in it and I felt that I diserved it for quitting smoking.
  • alpine1alpine1 Member Posts: 51
    Obviously, you didn't read Edmunds excellent book on how to buy a car.
    I have a subscription to ConsumerReports.Org.....

Every SUV that has been tested get's less than 16 miles per gallon for city driving, regardless what the manufacturer states it should be. The mid size SUV's got as low as 10mpg city driving according to Consumer Reports testing. The tested highway mileage was more in-line with what the manufacturer states it should be.....but the city mpg was much lower.

The Tucson has yet to be tested.
    SUV's like the CRV, and Forester, & Rav4 got the highest city mileage of ~ 15-16mpg.

On My Tucson GLS V6 4WD I get ~ 16mpg and I do mostly city driving (I currently have 800 miles on it).

Key1
    On my Tucson with only 800 miles on it, I've been getting around 20 mpg around the city. I haven't done any significant highway driving to test the highway mpg.
    20 mpg city?
    That's great....what trim do you have GL? GLS?
    V6 or 4 cylider?
    is yours 4WD or 2WD?
    Key
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Excuse me if this has been discussed before, but I didn't scan through all 503 posts before asking....

Why does Hyundai use that - IMHO - cheap-looking grey cladding on their upper level models? It makes it look like everyone else's low-priced economy model. I like the look of the entire vehicle painted the same color as it appears more "finished" to my eye.

Looked at some yesterday, sat in it and found that it wasn't as cramped as I thought it would be. I think the driver's seat could use another inch or two rearward adjustment, but then there would be no rear passenger legroom.

Will go back this coming week to drive either a GLS or LX V6. I like the stereo in the LX, but don't really need the heated leather seats in Florida. Wish I could get the LX system in the GLS to make my decision easier!

I like the Arctic Frost with tan interior and NO moon roof.

Deke
  • waldis42waldis42 Member Posts: 1
    Was lucky to discover the Tucson at a local auto show last weekend. I saw a GL whose beige cloth interior was very rough. The GLS on hand had nicer, softer material, but the pattern was a bit funky, not bad, just funky. Can anyone give some input on how the grey fabric is on the GLS? How are the leather seats on the LX? Are they really worth it ($1k+)? Thanks in advance.
  • bobg26bobg26 Member Posts: 3
    I own a Tucson LX. I thought the fabrics in the GL and GLS models were OK. I wanted leather seats, plus the heated seats and premium stereo were things that I wanted too - so that influenced my decision to go for the LX. I am very happy with the leather seats.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I also have a Tucson LX with the leather. What sold me is the heated seats. When you have a chronic sore back, it is awfully nice to get into the leather seat on a cold winter morning and turn the heated seats on befor you have to drive off to work. The only drawback is that now I have to get heated seats installed in my wife's Sonata before next winter if I want to live! :)
  • themanxthemanx Member Posts: 110
    The grey interior is the same pattern, but I thin it is more pleasing to the eye.

But in a white on, the brown was ok.

ElantraStan
    Just wanted to share my driving experience last weekend from San Jose to LA and back in our GLS.

Gas milage on seperate fillups was 24.5, 23.7 and 24.2. This was running at 70 - 80 over moderatly hilly terrain. I took 101 for those of you who know the area, which incidentally is a gorgeous drive right now after all the rain we have had out here in CA.

So the sticker saying 26 highway is pretty close to what I'd have gotten if I had stayed between 55 - 65. Trouble is, you are in the way as that speed, and it would a right lane drive all the way to LAX.

The car is a remarkably smooth cruiser, quiet at 75 and has plenty of punch for climbing hills.

Very happy with our Tuskie!
  • w2323w2323 Member Posts: 60
    Kia has the sportage the brother of the Tucson. I have read on their site people having problems getting Kia to service the manual trans in the Kia. The dealership is saying they are failing because of drivers shifting ability. But there were a lot of people complaining. I dont know if this problem comes up in this forum or not. I just wanted to let people become aware that there is an issue there. I was looking at the manual either tucson or sportage. Now its off the table. Automatic would be the only way I would go.

Didnt know the 10 year/100k isn't transferable thats a bummer but good info.

I expect 20 mpg or better for this car. Anything less would be a disappointment. Since I'm pretty sure they have 22-27 on the window, I want truth in advertising here.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Since I'm pretty sure they have 22-27 on the window, I want truth in advertising here.

That's not advertising. It's Federally mandated by the EPA which specifies mileage testing to be done with a dynamometer and is only an approximation to real world driving. It serves as a comparison among vehicles and, of course, YMMV.

tidester, host