Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• kcrnmalekcrnmale Member Posts: 47
    Has anyone had problems with moving the key all the way to the off position with the car in park? You can turn the engine off but not move the ignition to the point of removing the key without having to take the tranny out of park and back into park? Note the problem isn't with the steering wheel either.
  • rich67rich67 Member Posts: 5
    I just tried mine out in south Florida with the light on for 50 miles in the heat with a/c running...... my guess is that you have about 3 gallons when the light comes on. Next time it comes on, go to a gas station and fill it up to see how many gallons it takes vs what the capacity of the tank is.
  • clamclam Member Posts: 36
    Its not a great idea to run one's tank close to empty. Deposits in the gas tank in suspension can clog up the fuel filter as they are drawn to the bottom of the tank.

Does anyone know if there are any changes slated for the '06 Tucson? Specifically, will the Canadian version recieve side airbags?
  • csuvcsuv Member Posts: 25
    Agree. one should refill gas as soon as the light is on. Also the performance will be low if the gas tank is low. I asked that just wanting to have an idea how much longer I can drive. I once missed a gas station on a high way and had no idea how far the next station will be.

As far as I know the Tucson will not have major changes in the near future. They may fix some minor problems from our feedbacks.

What? the Canadian version does not have the side airbags? That's unfair to Canadians if the car is priced the same.

It's not accurate to measure the usable remaining gas by subtracting the amount you refilled from the full capacity of the tank. e.g for a 17 galon fulll tank, the car may stall after using up 16.5 galon gas and a little amount can't be pumped to engine or the engine may misfire at a pooint. The number is only symbolic to say the problem.
    Its difficult to determine if any purchase price savings occur on the Canadian Tucson due to the side airbag unavailability - pricing differences are more complex than a straight currency conversion.

However it is unacceptable that Hyundai would consider safety to be less of an issue to the Canadian market, and its keeping me from buying one. I'll probably end up with a CR-V if the 2006 Tucson doesn't have side airbags standard.
    I am not sure how much more money you have to pay up to add the side airbags. But at least you have the options to add them on. CR-V can't have 6 airbags no matter how much more money you are willing to pay. Great saftey and more feature at relatively low price is still a deal.

I do think you in Canada should write a letter to hyundai president to protest this.
    I don't think you understand my point. Canadians DO NOT have the option to add side airbags. If it was another option package to have them added, there wouldn't be an issue. No such option package exists.

The CR-V already has the side curtain airbags, so they're getting my money.
    poor strategy by Hyundai. The marginal profit to sell a car must be much higher than adding a couple of more standard features. More important is to grab market shares for an emerging car maker.

I tested CR-V before buying the Tucson. I remeber it has only 4 airbags. Maybe I am wrong.
  • curious9curious9 Member Posts: 1
    Does the Tuscan come with 4WD in the 4 cylinder engine. I went on to the Hyundai website and built my own vehicle and I only saw 4WD with the V6 engine.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    AWD is only available on the 4cyl with the 5sp manual transmission. :shades:
  • nakeydognakeydog Member Posts: 30
    I saw them on E-Bay. Do a search on Hyundai Tucson Mud Flaps or Guards
    When using the CD player just hold the CD in the slot and wait for the player to grab it from you and pull it in. ;)
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    My mom just bought a GLS V6 4WD for $500 below invoice including rebates. She loves it! Any recommended accessories? Is there a Tuscon owners club website? Thanks!
    I bought a Tuscon LX '05 and the car doesn't have a button for the Traction control. In the manual I see a button for trac on/off and one for ESP on/off. The dealer ship told me there is only one button now. The trac control is now part of the ESP and there is only one button to control both. Does anyone know for sure about this? Also does anyone have an LX 2005 with a Trac AND ESP button? I want to know if I have Traction control. There is no idiot light on my panel for trac just ESP. :confuse:
  • 238000238000 Member Posts: 48
    Thanks for the note re the cd player. I'm now more comfortable in using it.
    This traction control, ESP, and ABS, seems to confuse everyone. On my Tucson, the top level GLS, I think, the way it was explained was that the traction control being on is the default, but you can press the button to the left of the steering wheel and turn it off , but when you strat your car up, it will be on again. As for the ESP, it makes no sense to me at all. Another thing, has anyone used the 50/50 feature, whereby the power is divided 50% front and 50% rear?
    I have no Trac on/off button only an ESP button that supposedly works both. Yet there is no idiot light on the instrument panel when the car starts up to show that I do have TRAC. I know that I have ESP. :confuse:
    I noticed that I have a thick piece of tape on my LX behind the rear doors. It is on both sides and is the same color as the trim. Is this a protective film that stays there? It is hard to remove, it's not like the other tape that you remove from everywhere when you get a new car.
  • mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    "I tested CR-V before buying the Tucson. I remeber it has only 4 airbags. Maybe I am wrong."

Then again, maybe you're not: Honda didn't add the rollover-sensing side curtain airbags until the 2005 model year. You may have simply tested a unit that was manufactured before the change was made. If that's the case, the vehicle would have had up to four airbags, whilst the Tucson had six.

Mike
    "The dealer ship told me there is only one button now."

Actually there hasn't ever been a multiple-button arrangement for disengaging/engaging the traction control (TCS) and Electronic Stability Program (ESP) separately. In certain other markets, the ESP is optional, while TCS is standard, so those Tucsons actually have a "TCS" button instead.

The thing is, ESP needs TCS and ABS and engine torque modulators to properly function, so it wouldn't have made any sense to allow individuals to shut off the TCS, and yet keep the ESP on. It's true that Hyundai could have the traction control switch automatically shut off when the stability control is disengaged, but for simplicity's sake, one selector is really all that is necessary in this case. Perhaps they should have just marked it as "ESP & TCS"... that might have been the best thing to do.

Mike
    Just a follow-up -- I made a statement that needed to be backed-up/qualified. This is a British unit with the "TCS" button. In the UK, traction control is standard on all but the most basic trim, and ESP is unavailable.

I know that there are some places where ESP is optional, but finding a decent image of this portion of the dash on foreign-language websites can be tough.... :sick:

Mike
    Thank you Mike. That iswhat the dealer was telling me, but I don't trust them. I wouldn't ever turn it off and I don't know why any one would. The sticker on the car said I had ESP and TCS. I just wanted to make sure I got what I bought. Thanks ;)
    "Thank you Mike."

No problem!

"I wouldn't ever turn it off and I don't know why any one would."

Actually, strange as is may seem, unmitigated wheel-spin can sometimes be beneficial -- usually in deep snow or some other situation where traction is practically zero. It's definitely best to keep it on unless the situation clearly dictates otherwise.

Mike
    But then wouldn't you need Trac Control to kick in?? Or would the ABS be enough? :confuse:
    There are times when you might be stuck in snow or mud and you need to rock your car back and forth to get out. With TCS off, no problem. But if your TCS is on, it could prevent you from being able to spin your wheels and get the rocking motion started so you can escape from the snow/mud. ;)
    ThankYou tenpin288 :D !
  • thaasthaas Member Posts: 5
    We are looking to buy either a CRV or a Tuscon. We like the Tuscon because of the 6 cylinder, warranties, tinted windows (have kids and dog), flat fold down seats, and price. I like the CRV's side hatch, bigger cargo, and solid ride. The biggest advantage for the CRV is the 6 cylinder but after driving it -not sure it is that big of advantage since 80% of my driving will be on local, busy streets-not highway driving. Any comments on which would be the better choice?
    As I posted before I tested both and bought Tucson. 6 cynlinder is not necessarily to have much more power than a 4 cynlinder if their sizes are similar but it is supposed to be more smooth during driving. The Tucson drives great for me now and the seat supports my lowerback very well. Somebody complains about the armrest but I never use armrest. CRV has the spare tire hanging on the back and I dislike that like many others do. It not only looks ugly but also contributes more risk to rollover when turning at ralative high speed. I also like the totally flat cargo space after rolling down the seats. Lower price and longer warranty help a lot too.
    "Any comments on which would be the better choice?"

Well, they are both very competitive, with each bringing its own avantages to the table:

Honda 5-speed automatic transmission is smoother than the Hyundai's 4-speed; handles better around town due to better steering response and slightly stiffer suspension (the Tucson's corporate sibling, the Kia Sportage, doesn't have this issue); according to CR's tests, the CR-V's headlights perform better overall; proven-excellent reliability, depreciation, and crashworthiness; fuel economy (about 3 mpg better); rollover sensors for the side curtain airbags; slightly better cargo space and cabin width (though three, average-sized adults can sit in either vehicle's rear-seats with equal comfort).

Hyundai according to CR's tests, 0-60 mph acceleration runs averaged 0.3 seconds faster and emergency-situation handling was better; the Tucson allows less road noise (Honda's infamous tire rumble) to enter the cabin; superiorly ergonomic interior design; slightly easier ingress/egress; larger fuel tank, towing, load capacities; shingle-type rear head restraints (to improve rearward visibility); legroom is equal for the rear-seat passengers, better for front-seat occupants; the Hyundai's rear seats fold flat in one simple step, and the rear-seat cushions can be removed; headroom (front and rear); underfloor-mounted spare tire.

I personally prefer the Tucson's liftgate rear-door design to the CR-V's side-swinging type. Honda mounted the hinges on the wrong side of the vehicle for North American markets, and it doesn't provide the hatch's rain protection. I also like the Hyundai's styling, but that's purely subjective.

Note that a totally redesigned CR-V will bow next year as a 2007 model.

Mike
  • thaasthaas Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to you and Mike for the response. Can you give me any more data on the spare tire contributing to rollover-I hadn't heard that.
    I had no data regarding the rollover. I remember I saw a study report a couple of years back on that topic and the hanging sparetire was really a factor on rollover. Think about this: a sparetire raises the central weight point to a high level and a car spins fast has to overcome that force. Of course this is only relative and those cars with hanging sparetires are still safe otherwise they can't go to the market.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    The rear mounted spare tire will increase the damage to your vehicle if you get rear ended. Rather than let the bumper absorb the impact, it get's into your rear door even in an accident at a low speed. Not a good feature.
  • mfunkatronmfunkatron Member Posts: 6
    So, I really want to like my Tucson. I really really do. However, I've had to get my cd player replaced twice in 6 monthes, and my gas mileage is bothering me a lot. I'm lucky to get 22 mpg on the highway (I should mention that I have a 2wd GL). I commute about 25 miles to work in SoCal, and I am filling up the tank about 2-3 times per week. Its getting rather expensive.
    My question is for those of you who are closing in on the 10,000 mile mark. Have you seen your MPG raise? I talked to someone at Hyundai consumer affairs and they told me that this is generally the point when the engine is broken in. I really hope so, or I'm going to have to bite the bullet and invest in something that is a little more thrifty. Please give me some good news. Thanks.
    Hang in there! I have an AWD LX V6 Tucson and my mileage was poor at first. I have a 10 mile drive to work over worn-out 2 lane roads in west-central PA. I was only getting 15-17 mpg when it was new. Now at 7500 miles, I am consistently getting 19-20 mpg for that same trip and around 23-24 on the highway. (These hills and bad road conditions in my area of PA are mileage killers). ;)
    Has anyone tried the 50/50 system where the power is 50% in the front and 50% in the rear? Some posts indicated that this is problematical and I haven't used it. It's summer now in Connecticut, but with winter coming, it could come in handy.
  • hematochezhematochez Member Posts: 9
    test drove it yesterday
    was really impressed
    i liked the 5 year road side assistance included

Price now for GL silver is 16,600 in socal

Anyone getting better deals?
  • irgirg Member Posts: 197
    I am looking (probably spring '06) for a new vehicle to replace my aging '95 Ford Explorer. Two good features on the Explorer: 1) 4wd, which for some of the winters we have here in upstate NY, has been great. 2) Utility, for taking things like our trash to the dump, and other bigger things that a typical car can't haul. Nothing else to like about this SUV.

I have a new Toyota Sienna van now, so I have more utility with this van than the Explorer, although I don't want to muck it all up with some of the stuff I haul in the Explorer. But I hate the gas mileage of the Explorer - about 16 mpg around town, which is mostly what this vehicle is used for.

As for a second vehicle, the Tucson intrigues me. I like the looks, the awd would be useful in the winter, and I like how the rear seats fold flat with the cargo area. Something I would definitely use. But the gas mileage though does seem unimpressive. My Sienna which is heavier, and a larger V6, gets better mileage than the Tucson, which seems odd. Can I expect about 20 mpg around town? Highway mileage is a non issue with me. I only drive the Explorer about 8-9k miles a year, that's it. Although with the Tucson, maybe I would be drive it a bit more.

I like the price of the GLS AWD model, compared to the others, although it is at the top of what I want to spend. I am waiting to see how this winter goes, to determine whether I really need awd or not. And to see where gas prices go. If it gets to $3/gallon, I will probably buy a basic Civic. I am also interested to see what the new Elantra will be like. I also like Hyundai's warranty, as I will probably keep this vehicle a number of years. How much is the extended warranty to make it 10/100k miles comprehensive? Or would this be a good bargaining tool?

Any other vehicles I should consider, that offers some utility, inexpensive, decent gas mileage, warranty, and some fun to drive quotient? Also, the minivan would be used for 95% of our family use, but with 3 small kids (one in a rear facing car seat) and two others in booster seats, will the Tucson fit them all? Any other comments would be helpful, especially if there is any updates on the '06 models. Cheers. irg
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Kia Sportage, a sister vehicle. Better looking, better handling, cheaper, more std. equipment, same warranty.
  • irgirg Member Posts: 197
    I like the looks of the Tucson better, but it is subjective. I have read (here?) a review that mentioned it handled a little better which is odd since they are supposed to be the "same" vehicle. Maybe the '06 Tucson will address that? The Tucson GLS seems to have just about everything, unless you want leather and/or the sunroof, and a slightly upgraded stereo. Nothing else to add. But the problem for me at least, is that I don't have a local Kia dealer, and I do Hyundai. Otherwise, I would consider it. Unless Hyundai services Kia products under warranty?
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Having a dealer is a major concern and you would have to go up to an EX to get a trip computer, Auto headlights and ECM mirror w/Homelink and some other items that the base GLS has that the base LX Sportage doesn't.
  • flytedhyflytedhy Member Posts: 63
    Any one heard this noise from the engine compartment or have a solution. Dealer has no idea. It always happens the first drive of the day and anytime the vehicle has sat for more than 1/2 hour. Always at exactly 8 mph and it doesn't coincide with the shift. Something's not right.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What kind of noise? Are you sure it's from the engine compartment and not, say, a transmission clunk?

Did you rule out the ABS brakes self test that make a noise every time you start out in some cars?

Steve, Host
  • samos1samos1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Tucson which has 12,000 miles on it. I purchased the automobile in around christmas, 2 weeks later I got bad gas from a station. I took the car to the dealership repair shop, where there drained the gas tank and flush the lines and 7 months later my check engine light comes on and I take it back to the same dealership repair job, where they tell me my converters are going bad from the gas I got 7 months ago on which I only drove about 5 miles before having the car towed to the service shop. Has any one had problems with their catalytic converters? Also any one know that since the converters are part of the emission if this should be covered under warranty? According to the Hyundai it is not.
  • samos1samos1 Member Posts: 4
    How do I talk with someone about warranty on the catalytic converters for 2005 Hyundai Tucson?
  • gregfromnycgregfromnyc Member Posts: 53
    Re "With the 50/50 four wheel drive, you aren't supposed to go over 19 mph with it " With my Blazer I can definition go normal speads in 4WD, and we're about to get a 4WD Tuscon, so I'm curious if somebody could elaborate on this, thanks.
  • peppepeppe Member Posts: 5
    According to the manual, once you reach 20 KMH the 50/50 is reduced and at 40 KMH the 50/50 is disengaged. Once slowing down to 20 KMH it is engaged again. I haven't experience any winter driving yet, so I am curious to see how it works.
    >once you reach 20 KMH the 50/50 is reduced

Reduced? Like pops in and out? Onle 3 wheels?

>at 40 KMH the 50/50 is disengaged

Interesting. I know I've done 40mph on dry sand, albeit known route.

Hmm, OP mentioned mph, but you mention kmh, guess I need to try to convert as maybe that is a reasonable speed.
    Hyundai has a nice explanation of how the AWD system on the Tucson works.

Tucson AWD demo

When you get to the web page, click on the "performance" link, then click on the "electronic 4WD" link. There is a nice demo there. Enjoy and I hope it gives you a better idea how the Tucson's AWD works.

FYI, I have had an LX AWD since last November and it goes great in the winter in the hills and valleys of central PA. :shades:
  • flytedhyflytedhy Member Posts: 63
    The noise does not coincide with a shift of the transmission so I don't think thats it. How would I rule out the ABS brake self test? Dealer never told me that might be the problem, don't remember reading about it in the owners manual, and if all Tucson's made that noise I'm sure others would have said something, don't you think?
    If I've done the math right, 40kmh is about 25mph, which is interesting.

OTOH, on the street that's probably ok, especially as it seems to be saying it would be instantaneous, and can kick in apparently per wheel if slippery (even if greater than 25mph?). I don't see how that would work in say dry sand though as often the momentum of the car, etc is not enough.