Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• pvtpvt Member Posts: 2
    Averaging 17-18 MPG in town, 20-21 on the road in an 05 V6. I'm disappointed both in the MPG and interior noise.
  • edgoredgor Member Posts: 31
    Can you get Automatic Temperature Control with the cloth seats? ATC appears to only be available on the limited, which is unfortunate because the leather on the Hyundai's is cheap-feeling, something many reviews have noted and we concur with... it felt like vinyl, esp. compared to other SUVs we tried. Not sure if they upgraded the leather for the 2006's.

Also, I read on the RAV4 forum that hyundai's are notorious for getting bad gas mileage the first few thousand miles, but then improve significantly. Has that been the experience of actual owners of the Tucson?
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    Do any of you have the 4-cylinder Tucson? If so, what's your mileage like?
  • 238000238000 Member Posts: 48
    Follow up on the vibrating crank shaft: My dealer tells me that all Tucsons have this problem and that Hyundai is working on a fix to this problem. Again, I get this vibration when going up hills, and its annoying - presumably the car is safe, which is reassuring since I have to drive to Florida later this month (Jan 2006). I wouldn't recommend a 2005 Tucson or even a 2006 since they may have the same problem. Otherwise, it's a great car.
  • nakeydognakeydog Member Posts: 30
    Really :confuse: I don't have that problem with my 2005 LX. So it isn't ALL of the Tucsons as your dealer stated.
    ATC is not available unless you get the LX. I have 6,000 miles and get 18 MPG aroundtown.
    The sticker does say 20/26 mpg. Wonder if we all could do something about the false advertising :mad:
  • rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    We bought a 2005 Tucson GLS V6, 4wd in early August and have about 9,000 miles on it. We get no vibration noise going uphill (So it's NOT a characteristic of the model as someone earlier quoted a Hyundai service guy. Ours is quiet inside -- not as quiet as a tomb, but quiet anyway. We've had no leaks around the rear window, and no "lurches" or noises from the transmission. MPGs run around 20 & 22 on primarily 15-mile trips around the town. But we also help out the mileage by trying to stay at least CLOSE to the speed limit. If we're on a divided highway, we'll use the cruise control. The car is everything we've wanted so far, even though we'll probably be outside the extended 100,000 mile warranty in just five years. I figure if we keep up the maintenance, it should last much longer. First new vehicle we've ever owned.
  • 238000238000 Member Posts: 48
    Well, thanks for the comments, I guess it's just my luck, with this vibration. Why are they waiting for a fix from Hyundai if its just this one vehicle? But, I'm getting pretty good mileage.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Jacques, 25L per 100 km doesnt make sense. There must be something wrong with your Kia. I used to own a Santa Fe and never got worse than 15 L per 100 km even in the worst cold. I'm in Quebec City.
    Charlotte, I get 22-23 miles per US Gallon in mixed driving. 4 Cyl with the manual transmission.
  • mkirk1mkirk1 Member Posts: 4
    have a 2005 Tucson 4 WD 6 cyl. and have been to the service center on 4 occasions to report poor fuel consumption. first visit the service rep indicated the AC was causing the problem. second visit service rep indicated poor airflow around the car due to open windows since not using AC. Third visit service rep declared the car is still in the break in period. Getting 12-14 miles per gallon (now have 8000 miles on vehicle) is unacceptable and am in the process of filing lemon law complaint. if anyone has experience with this please let us know. sold my F250 diesel in order to get a vehicle that gets good gas mileage and based on the salesperson thought that was what i would be getting. turns out the Tucson gets worse gas mileage than the truck!
  • jacquesjacques Member Posts: 34
    to GuyF

Took in my Kia Sportage to the dealer this morning. Got a cold shoulder technican becasue " You only have 3600 kms and we don't check high consumption at 3600kms

Another technician showed him a new service bulletin :) to fix Sportage gas guzzling looked like bulletin #17 upside down... ;)

Bulletin says to reprogram the CPU controlling ignition and transmission. They reprogrammed it as per specs.

I filled up tonight and will report back o the effects of the reprogramming.

Sister Tucson 2006 may have similar problems :sick:
    Jacques, How many km could you do on a tankfull? My 4 cyl Tucson easily goes easily over 500 km.

Glad they have a fix for your Kia :)
    2006 awd v6 is new as of oct 05.
    never ran it into vapors...

best guess would be about 400km on a tankfull runnning at 60 mph in 70 degrees on highway.

hard to say specifically at this point what I would get in warmer temperatures. ....who knows what I will really get if this service bulletin really has an influence...I will run the car for a week to check impact of service bulletin.

Car is basicall excellent :) so far other than gas....
    but it is no...Sorento :(

If things don't improve it will be trade-in time in 32 months and bye bye Kia's for me ! :lemon:

I really expected better when I traded down from the Sorento

sorry folks I know this is a Tucson forum but it is family related :D
    400 Km on 52 litres is 13L/100 km, not 25....
    I wrote.... :mad:
    best guess would be about 400km on a tankfull runnning at 60 mph in 70 degrees on highway.

Current winter city driving I am getting 25l/100KM as previously stated and confirmed with gas receipts

If I get to halfway mark on my gas gauge I am at 100KM on the trip odometer and it takes 25 liters to refill my tank back to the rim. :cry:
  • rockyteerockytee Member Posts: 35
    I wonder if the mixture is too rich to be consuming so much fuel. Would it show up in a "drive clean" test as exceeding the limit and therefore "fail"?
    Just a thought.
    I am nearing the 3/4 mark on the fuel gauge and I am at 35 Km on the trip. odometer. IF this trend keeps up I will be at 70 KMS at the 1/2 half tank which for me is 25L of gas !! this is going to be worse than before the service bulletin (017)reprogramming they did this last monday !!! 5 imp.Gallons for 42 miles or 8,4 miles/CDN gallon or 6.75miles/US gallon (128. oz versus 160 oz.)

Am I upset :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: exhaust fumes smell like lacker thinner
  • hfxnshfxns Member Posts: 74
    I am getting around 16-18MPG.
    This is alarming! What is your tank size, do you have the 15 gallon tank, or the 17 gallon tank?

My city MPG ranges between 14-17 MPG, usually closer to 16, 17MPG.

My exhaust fumes don't smell very good either, but that shouldn't neccessarily be an issue. Something is wrong with your truck though! Maybe I shouldn't get the service bulletin #017. Has anyone else had similar problems?
    I have an LX V6 4WD Sportage. I have been told that the Kia leather is a huge improvement over the Hyundai leather. If this is a key factor in your decision, you may want to consider buying the Kia. I think the Kia interior is also more sporty.

Dan HFX, NS
    I get around 16 or 17MPG and I have the V6 4WD.
    Really, is there that big of a difference with the 4cyl than the V6. Are you talking city or highway driving? The most I have gotten in the city was 300KM per tank, and about 450KM on the highway.
  • audia4usaaudia4usa Member Posts: 1
    Wow, this sounds pretty strange. I would leave the car with the dealer and have them take it on an extended test. From the road test I've read of this car, your mileage should be 18-22 give or take per gallon.
  • pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    I have owned many cars where the gauge drops like a rock after it hits the 'half-full' mark.
    I easily get 500Km in mixed driving before the light comes on, that is 50% City and Hwy. And the fuel tank is smaller on the 4. 58L VS 65 L. I've got the 4 with FWD and I get 10-11 L/100 km. :)
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Am I skeptical about 9.6 per gal??? you bet! I would even go out on a limb here and state that that is virtually impossible with a Tucson/Kia twin. Have you been smelling gas lately...from the massive hole in your tank.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee V-8, bah!? Had one and never got over 15 MPG at best, more like 12-13. Talk about a gas guzzler but what do expect for an overpowered, large, heavy, un-aerodynamic box of an SUV? Can't have high expectations.... My Tucson is much...much better at 17 city/urban and as much as 24 highway. This driving sensibly. Finally, a news flash...EPA estimates are phony and not realistic...flash number two...ALL SUV's are inefficient and will NEVER get 30 MPG. Oh, hybrids, yeah, the jury is out on those.
    A news flash for you too...the true, real world mileage as compared to EPA estimates, is going to be 75-80% (more or less). You chose a V-6 powered SUV and the Tucson is no worse and I think may be better, than the Ford V-6 Escape..the Jeep V-6 Liberty.. Suzuki Grand Vitera and I think even the CRD diesel version of the Liberty. So, what other manufacturer of small V-6 powered SUV's are you referring to when you suggest you bought the wrong vehicle. If you were expecting super fuel economy you certainly DID buy the wrong vehicle, the wrong class of vehicle. Try a Honda Civic.
    Yeah, you could read the published reports on how the EPA derives its ESTIMATES on fuel economy. The test was developed in 1975 and slightly updated years later but all manufacturers submit a vehicle or several for evaluation. But that evaluation is performed at tightly controlled speeds that are artifically low (not real world starts/stops etc.) for "x" amount of minutes and some of the tests are performed on a dyno inside a building where wind and traffic and weather play no part. You could read an October 2005 "Consumers Reports" article titled "The Truth about fuel economy" page 65 to become an informed consumer before wondering about "doing something" about "false" advertising...by the way, this is not advertising at all but a government mandated sticker that ALL manufacturers are required to post on their vehicles for comparison purposes (within classes of vehicles) only. It isn a guarantee you will get whatever is posted, in fact it is a guarantee you probably won't.
    I am replying to my own post to give interested parties a better article to read than the referenced "Consumers Reports" article about why the EPA estimates are soooo..wrong. Refer instead to Car&Driver magazine, December 2005 issue, page 13. Check the periodical section of your library. Instead of complaining about so-called poor fuel economy become informed about why the EPA tests are fatally flawed. People who expect, no, demand that they get that EPA estimate are doomed to forever blame the manufacturer, the car etc. etc....when, in fact, it is probably unobtainable for most people. In case you didn't notice this is a pet peeve for me.
    well I was at 9.6 miles per US gallon...measured several times and no I do not have a puddle of gas burning my asphalt. (25L/100 = 12 miles per Imp. Gallon)

Update. things have gotten better... I got 150 km on about 25l this time around versus the 100KM I was getting.

The problem is that the outside temp. in Montreal is crazy these days . :confuse:

One day is -20C the next it is + 6C I also did some higway driving which I am sure helped the sats somewhat

I will refill to the rim and stick to more urban driving to reevaluate the improvement the service bulletin jobby did on the consumption. can't say more for now
    Target, Once I figured out my true mileage, my mileage city mileage on my 2005 LX V6 4WD Sportage is around 10 or 11 MPG - so he is not kidding.
    EPA ratings are lab tested, no hills, no A/C, no heat, no stereo - I understand the difference, but I expect to get better than half the EPA mileage?
    So is it generally true that Tucson owners are getting better mileage than Sportage owners? Feeback.
    I appreciate the research Targettuning - I will take a look - I am actually sitting in the library as we speak.
  • rxcaptrxcapt Member Posts: 17
    I have been watching these posts with some interest. I have a 2005 LX V6 AWD. It has just over 7500 miles on it. Last week I had to do a 2 day trip (out and back) of 350 miles each way. It was on I-81 from Washington, DC almost to Bristol, TN. I took care to fill up and check mileage and reset the trip odometer and record fillups. Overall, using cruise control set at ~65-72 I averaged about 23MPG. I do not doubt those who say they are getting sub 20mpg, but assuming their car is in tune, I can say that driving habits and city vs. interstate may play a role.
    I got a recall from my dealer yesterday. I called and told them it says a "motor vehicle safty" #922. The woman didn't know what the defect was. :mad: Anyone here get the recall and know what it is :confuse:
  • peppepeppe Member Posts: 5
    I received a recall notice the other day and had the work done. The recall is for ECM reprogramming. They said that the ESP may cause the brakes to come on????
  • japheartjapheart Member Posts: 1
    I TO OWN A 2005 TUCSON FWD6 CYLINDER AND RECEIVE HORRENDOUS GAS MILEAGE, ABOUT 11-12 MPG. BROUGHT IT IN 3 TIMES, FIRST TOLD ME NEED 10,000 MILES TO BREAK IN. SECOND SAID POOR TIRE PRESSURE, THIRD TOOK IT FOR RIDE AND FUDGED THE MPG BY HANDWRITING THE GALLONS THEY FILLED TANK UP WITH AND PRICE PER GALLON, TOLD ME I GOT 22.8 MPG, ALL MY RECEIPTS PRIOR AND AFTER SHOW ABOUT 12 THEY ALSO SAID I'M USING THE AIR CONDITIONER WHICH DECREASES MPG. CALLED HYUNDAI MOTORS USA AND THEY WOULDN'T HELP ME. I'M SO FED UP WATCHING THE NEEDLE DIP I'M DUMPING THE CAR AND WILL BAD MOUTH HYNDAI TO EVERYONE. THEY HAVE NOT INCREASED THEIR QUALITY NOR DO THEY BACK UP THEIR PRODUCT.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks for the comments.

I recommend turning off your CAPS LOCK since people tend to ignore posts that are typed in ALL CAPS.

Good luck!

tidester, host
    How exactly did you expect Hyundai to magically fix your fuel economy?? What do you think quality has to do with fuel economy? How and where do you drive? All stop and go city? Do you consistanty speed in excess of 75 mph? Drive up and down Pikes peak every day? You people kill me... "badmouthing" Hyundai Hah what a joke. Your probable poor driving habits combined with who knows what else could have contributed to lower than expected mileage. In order to get your alleged 12mpg you have to be doing something critically wrong. A 2005 car almost assuredly cannot be that far out of tune or screwed up enough to give that kind of mileage on its own, and if it were it probably wouldn't run well enough to rely on. I turn my A.C. on in late march and turn it off in late Oct and never generated poor economy because of it so forget the A.C. as a cause. I am well familiar with the 2.7 V-6 having had one in a Santa Fe and again in a Tucson and under no circumstances did either get less than 16mpg in "urban only" driving even with winters excessive idling warm-up thrown in. So..dump the car and move on to the next SUV and be sure to check back when your Liberty...Escape...Grand Vitera...Equinox...whatever, fails to meet your expectations. Bye!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I really find it hard to believe you are getting mileage that poor unless there are some really glaring problems that would stand out like a sore thumb to the dealer's service dept. or some very questionable driving habits involved here. I own a 2005 Tucson V6 AWD and the worst I have gotten in the cold northeastern winters was between 14 and 16 mpg, and that was last year right after I bought my Tucson before it was broken in. Now, after nearly 12000 miles on the odometer, I get 16-18 mpg in the winter and 18-21 in the summer in my daily commute to work up and down hills on mostly 2 lane, hilly roads. I think you really need to look at your driving habits as a major contributing factor here. Remember, this is an SUV vehicle and it was never designed to be an economy car, so either live with it or buy yourself a little hatchback like the Accent. ;)
  • kcrnmalekcrnmale Member Posts: 47
    I have a 2005 Sportage (Tucson's twin sister) and when I get out of my car and go to shut the door.....Yeow!!! I get a nasty static shock (It doesn't happen in my wife's Mazda SUV). Does this happen to anybody else?
    Its just a matter of the type of upholstry...cloth...leather or even the actual type of fabric used on cloth or fabric upholstry. All cars are different and all have the potential to shock depending on the relative humidity (low humidity = more potential for a static shock). On some cars that I had with high potential for shock due to seat material I learned to ground myself to the car body/door frame before leaving the seat.
  • suziheresuzihere Member Posts: 3
    Well, I disagree with you tenpin288. I have exactly the same problem ,and if you read this forum regularly you will see that a lot of people has a problem with the fuel efficiency of the Tucson. I own a 2005 AWD V6, 8,000 miles, and still getting 12-13 mpg. Toyota has just come up with a new Rav4 model that they claim can do 30 mpg. Don't get me wrong, I love my tucson, but the gas mileage is a huge problem for them.
    sh
  • peppepeppe Member Posts: 5
    Just spray the seats with static guard once in awhile and your problem will be solved.
  • alsaboataalsaboata Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if the tucson limited will be coming out with power drivers seat (as I have bad back & knees) and it is the only thing holding me back.Also if there is any increase in HP and if so WHEN ?? Maybe a mid year change
  • rxcaptrxcapt Member Posts: 17
    With all respect, you are being very unrealistic. So Toyota claims the new RAV-4 does 30mpg. WHY WHY would you believe it (you don't believe the TUCSON's numbers)? It is obvious to a casual reader that the Tucson does not make the EPA estimates claimed for it. Do you really believe the RAV-4 will be any more accurate. Do you know that the EPA highway test is run for 10 miles on a dynamometer at an average speed of 48mph (approx. 12 min)? When was the last time you drove 48mph on the interstate in 12min stretches? If you do then you probably get the mileage claimed for your vehicle. When you bought the TUCSON you bought a truck. More attractive and possible more flexible than some, but it is a truck, not an economy car. The EPA numbers are not realistic and are based on assumptions from the 1980s. Don't blame the TUCSON for not making the mileage you expect. Blame the EPA for requiring an outdated test (to be replaced in 2008), blame yourself for being disappointed that a truck driven at 65mph does not get the economy claimed for it, and blame the politicians that have allowed the EPA to continue to use an outdated test that pre-dates SUVs. Ultimately we have met the enemy and it IS us.