Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan vs. Ford F150

1171819202123»

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    That's pretty good for an entirely new truck. Shows that Nissan did their homework before they entered the market, regardless of the few production jitters they encountered.

That's absolutely incredible, Ant. I find it unbelievable that so many entered the roadways in one year. If you estimate an average length of 20' per rig, that's around 3,500 miles of back-to-back Ford pickups. Yikes.

I wonder what the national average is for length-of-ownership on trucks? Most of the folks I know usually keep their trucks for 10+ years unless they have some glaring problem with them that they cannot handle, as opposed to about 6 years for their cars/small suvs.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • dbauerdbauer Member Posts: 416
    heavy or super duty trucks have a long ownership average, especially diesels.

but simple 1/4 or 1/2 ton trucks are not much different from passenger cars when it comes to trade cycle...generally between 27 and 39 months.
    Seriously? Haha.... I guess that explains why the salespeople to whom I spoke when I was looking for my last car thought I was crazy when I said, "I want my vehicle to reliably go 10 years as a primary vehicle." My '96 Subaru is approaching the 10 year mark here in another 8 months and I'll probably end up having it another 3 years or more as my primary. And, that's at 20+K per year. If I drove it at 12-15K annually, I'd expect to get another 5 or more out of it pretty easy.

I cannot see how purchasing a vehicle is a good investment if you only hang on to it for 3 years or less.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    "Shows that Nissan did their homework before they entered the market,"

They sure did xwesx, they shamelessly copied the new F-150 from bumper to bumper! But so did Toyota on the first Tundra, and why not, it's the Gold Standard evidently.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Unconfirmed Titan sales for 2004 are 83,848.
    Imitation is the best form of flattery! And, I don't see how Toyota could have possibly copied Ford with the T100, that truck isn't half the truck (okay, so maybe 3/4! haha) of a same-model-year F150.

And, I suppose it is just yet another opinion out there, but the Titan is most certainly distinct and separate from an F150. Both manufactures departed, quite blessedly, from the trend toward soft, sleek looks (as did Chevrolet to some extent, but I think their aesthetic quality took a nose dive because of it - pun intended). However, if you take a look at the Titan, it follows the same general trend as the rest of Nissan's products in appearance. I personally like the appearance of the Ford better, but I'd buy neither because I need a truck to really work and a 1/2 ton just can't cut the mustard. If I were to consider them at all for some off reason, I'd do so equally because folks on both sides of the fence have laid forth good pros and cons. Other similarities, like bed and interior dimensions, should be similar because Ford knows how to make a functional pickup, so why should Nissan try to buck a system that is obviously what the consumer wants and has wanted for decades? They aren't trying to make a specialty vehicle that will appeal to a small market....

-Wes-
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    No, you're right on that one, I don't know what the T-100 was trying to be, but rugged, it was not. Still, it was a long lasting, if wimpy and softly sprung truck. It resembled an El Camino in handling and size. They are still running around, mostly doing pools in this area...... Very light duty.
    Ah, I actually mis-interpreted you on your "Tundra" post. I guess I do not look at the Tundra as being a new introduction as it was really just a model rebuild/makeover to salvage market share after the T100 introduction. To me, it was like deciding to call their compact pickup a "Tacoma" rather than just being a generic Toyota pickup. I'm sure the modifications were much deeper on the T100-to-Tundra makeover, but it's all about perception and mine didn't change. So, when you said "introduced...Tundra," I interpreted it as the first introduction, i.e., T100. *shrugs*

Anyhow, enough of Toyota, this is about Nissan and Ford. My apologies for the detour all.
  • ace555ace555 Member Posts: 3
    I've been gone for a while so sorry i couldn't get back to you sooner "aspesisteve."

All the mods that i have put on my truck -except the chip- have, over all, helped my gas mileage. But when the chip is in- i start to see my gas mileage go from 16 to about 12 believe it or not ...so it really depends what you want in a truck. The horse power i gained was probably not worth the gas mileage, but if you want an extra 20 horse power then go for the chip also.

exhaust on a f-150 is always a must (in my opinion). For one thing it always adds an awesome look and sound (assuming you get the 40 series with the 3" tips or something like it) and it also allows your exhaust to "breath" better. as far as manufactures go Flowmaster guarantees 10-12 hp. And if you want some other brand besides flowmaster- Gibson is what i would call "2nd" best.

intakes are anyones guess, but i have been very happy with my K&N system. I think they have been selling on ebay for around $150. It'll give your truck around 10hp and it also adds a nice mix of sound with the exhaust.

chris
  • texas_ford_guytexas_ford_guy Member Posts: 36
    just an update.... that titan le 4x2 with 7k miles on it still sits un-looked at with a 24k price tag on it. its been a full 2 months now. 83000 units indeed. 83000 people that wont be getting out of their misguided purchase any time soon.

just thought youd wanna know.
  • dbauerdbauer Member Posts: 416
    misguided...sounds like you've been listening to CNN a little too much.
  • jrsimplemanjrsimpleman Member Posts: 9
  • ace555ace555 Member Posts: 3
    interesting....

my truck runs 0-60 7.9 seconds flat, but i do have some mods as i said earlier. still that would be a good race according to that chart..if i can find a titan who will.

chris
  • jeffbondjeffbond Member Posts: 16
    I drive a 99 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with great Michelins and this truck handles very well, the power is great, i drive this truck faster and harder than most people drive their sport cars,
    But I have had a GMC for the last 16 years, and I am tired of the same plastic crap virtually un-changed.
    So I test drove the F-150, for 300 HP it felt like 105 HP, a real dog, a pig on power, I basically needed ½
    Pedal travel to get the acceleration out of this truck as I need a ½ inch in my sierra, the cornering is awful,
    I needed ¾ of a turn of the wheel to make a corner and it had a lot of lean IMO, I can do this with less than ½ of my current truck.
    Then I drove the titan, very good power at the front, a nice growl from the exhaust, then I put the puppy
    Thru the paces in a wide open parking lot with curbing and such, I broke lightly turned in and stepped on the power,
    It had Very little under steer that I experienced and it pulled very well thru the corner, so well the sales man grabbed for the
    Door handles and buckled up. I did this about 6 or so times and it left a very promising impression. My only thought is
    Will this truck last 7 years???
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Chevy driver here.

I think it comes down to what you find most important for you in a truck and finding out which of the available models is the best at giving it to you. Unless something drastic is wrong with the design longevity has more to do with how well you take care of the truck than brand. Do good preventative maintenance on it and you should have no trouble. (blech. Can't believe I'm endorsing a competitor. :D)
    Yes, True, My GMC has 96000 on it and is in tip top shape, but its time for a change after almost 6-1/2 years. I also had a 1985 F-350 with the 460CI and it was the biggest pile of crap ever, it beltched a carburator every year for 5 years at the cost of 750 each and i vowed never to touch a ford again. Then i test drove one and it re-confirmed that notion.
    Good Grief. Bad then so bad now right?
    the 2005...It drove pretty much like the 1985 did, very soft front end and stiff rear and a slug off the line. You know it just hard to get by the stigma of Found On Road Dead. I will say this, the ford had the coolest interior in the FX4 of the three I looked at. The dodge was just a pig on fuel consumption with the sticker printed 11 MPG and you can bet it is closer to 9 and besides it won't clear my garage doors.
    Didn't know that Ford was a "mark of disgrace." Guess I'll get rid of mine, kind of like driving around a scarlet letter.

Goodluck with your vehicle hunting!
    BTW: Next time you think Found On Road Dead, think First On Race Day instead ;-)
    My dis-like for Ford products comes from having 2 lemons, a F-150 & Mustang GT that not a single ford mechanic could figure out the problems, but the Ford also doesn't suite my driving styles I.E. Soft front end and stiff back.

BTW, I will agree with you on you "first" comment only if it Pertains to "ChampCar Racing" and not the nascar series.
  • titaneesetitaneese Member Posts: 43
    Hey Texas Ford guy, I am a Ford guy too my dad and his dad. I still own the 1966 Ford f-100 my grandfather bought new in 1966 it has 100000 miles on it and looks almost like new even though it is unrestored. I also have a 1967 Mustang Fastback that I have owned for 21 years. I currently drive a 98 f-150 and I wanted to buy another f-150 despite the bad service I feel like I received on my current f-150. I did test drive an 05 f-150 super crew 5.4 engine and they are getting the prices right on these things. I really wanted to like the new truck and buy one but I can't make myself do it. When you push the throttle on the new ford almost nothing happened this thing will not keep up with my current f-150 5.4. This is not to mention the reliability problems Ford is having and trying to sell us.

In recent years I have stayed away from ford products for my wife and daughter because I don't want to work on them, they drive a Lexus GS 400 and Honda Civic respectively.

I really want to buy an American Built truck but unfortunately they don't build em anymore the fords parts are from Canada and Mexico. So what other choice do I have? A Gmc or Chevy or god forbid a Dodge yea right they are really JUNK. Sorry if it sounds like I am venting but I am but not on you. I am venting on the American auto makers.

I am going to make one of those misguided purchases and buy a 2005 TITAN CREW CAB LE RED ALERT.

Keith
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    >>> really want to buy an American Built truck but unfortunately they don't build em anymore the fords parts are from Canada and Mexico. So what other choice do I have? A Gmc or Chevy or god forbid a Dodge yea right they are really JUNK. Sorry if it sounds like I am venting but I am but not on you. I am venting on the American auto makers. <<<

Of course, the Titan after two years doesn't have any better reliability record or reputation.

Dusty
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    The F-150 is rated most dependable in it's segment, and the Titan received last place by JDPowers.
    Like I said in my original message: push on the gas pedal and nothing happens. Please read the F-150 posts and see how the ford dispute resolution board is telling customers; sorry can't help you. At least with the Nissan they have issued a bulletin and they are repairing their brake issues. None of them are perfect not even Toyota. And at least with the Nissan they will get out of their own way.

Please note: I am a FORD Man and will always be despite what I've said I am still considering the f-150 just because they are getting so right on the price (about 8100 off msrp as far as my quotes) and yes the ford is very nicely refined and smooth I do like that part of the truck. I am still trying to figure into the price of the new ford, how much will I have to spend on performance mods to make this thing run the way I think it should.

thanks, Keith
  • gongergonger Member Posts: 1
    Been talking w/a Chevy guy today who dislikes Nissan but everything I've read indicates the Titan is a great overall truck with exceptional pulling power and fantastic looks. I'm about six months out from taking the plunge but wanted to ask Titan owners about their gas mileage. How bad is it (my neighbor says he gets 13 city/17 hwy)? Is it similar to the other makes? Anyway to improve it such as Flowmaster products?
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Similar to a Dodge Hemi. Expect 13 in the city and 15-17 on the highway. Expect single digit mileage in the city if you have to beat everyone from the stoplights.
  • zapper1zapper1 Member Posts: 13
    I think the titan is a NICE package ! Fat motor, big towing #s, etc.....
    But the MANY nagging problems I see posted here about the 04s and 05s and elsewhere scares me to death ! Also check the armada and Q posts here in
    the SUV threads.
    Not to mention the POOR resale value (if you can find a dealer who
    will take it in trade....mentioned by the car gurus in the Smart Shopper thread
    here).

Lots of folks carry on that its the 1st year syndrome..........Funny I don't see as
    many heartbreak posts about the new Ford design.

Buy what YOU like anyhoo............Just be warned.................
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Do NOT make personal attacks in these Forums. It's the fastest ticket to being banned.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Mr. Fordysmthg, help me to understand how I forced the american auto manufacturers to build inferior products and stamp made in canada and made in mexico all over my new ford F-150 I bought and paid for in 1998. Hey I'm 40 years old and I remember the mentality towards the japanese and I want more than anything to buy american products and support american workers. That is why I'm so mad about FORD and their shortcomings in my opinion. Right now I own 6 vehicles including a motorcycle, 4 out of 6 are american with 3 fords. Yea like I said my wife and daughter have Lexus and Honda for a simple reason. I never have to work on them.

I am looking for a new truck so please help should I buy the out dated GMC/Chevy or the Tough ram dodge (low quality) or the slow slow slow feeling ford f-150. Lets face it it is my $30000 and my only real voice is how I spend it. American auto makers need to wake up Ford has treated people like they just don't care about their satisfaction so people like me have no choice. I challenge you Sir, how many foreign /american autos do you own? Please tell the truth.

with respect your bud, Keith
    Let's not get into personal confrontations either. Talk about the Titan and F150, or move on.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • fordysomthgfordysomthg Member Posts: 10
    Keith,
    I did respond to your post. Your host felt like it may offend you. He isn't concerned that yourself or the nissan salseman on this forum might be offending others.
    I did name the vehicles owned by me, my wife,son, & daughter. I added info you could use for comparison of other vehicles. Yes, I'll agree with the host.........some things may have offended you........But it was info you could use & based on things you said< I felt that you needed to hear. Maybe if you ask your host politely he'll e-mail it to you
    P.S. We are not 'buds'.
    Thanks for listening.
  • tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    if you dont like a Ford, Dodge, Chevy,GMC, or a Nissan why not consider a Toyota? like a Tundra double cab! please give me a quick and nonviolent reply.
    Tiger, in my opinion Toyota is no doubt the best vehicle on the road. The only thing for me now is the new Toyota is coming out soon and I don't want to buy a last year model.

Keith
    Let's not start with the "my truck is better than either of these" posts.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • drumdealsdrumdeals Member Posts: 1
    Hey there, have you not had any problems i.e. Brakes, rotors, windows, noisy dash inside the truck etc.? I would love to buy the titan but I read so many negative remarks about them. I appreciate your reply. thanx
  • skytop1skytop1 Member Posts: 106
    Was just at the local Toyota dealer when making comparisons between Nissan, Ford and Toyota. They are selling new 05 Tundras at rediculous prices just to get them off the lot fast. I was quoted a no money down 48 month lease for a limited ed 4x4 at $379. A 2x4 SR5 was only $289. Why so cheap?
    Toyota has artifically modified (increased) the residual value to drastically lower monthly rates. WHY? Because when the brand new Tundra hits the ground in August, no one will give the old model a second look. The new Tundra is a larger truck that is promised to be very similar in appearance to the outrageous show version and have capacity up to 1 ton. Wait to see this jewel before buying and possibly living with regret for not waiting to see the new release in less than two months time.
  • hintodepintohintodepinto Member Posts: 1
    I don't think the New Tundra (the one with the major changes) will be available until August of 2006, the 2007 model. Atleast, according to Edmunds.
    http://www.edmunds.com/future/2007/toyota/tundra/100392461/preview.html
  • mondomondo Member Posts: 6
    MR,
    If you havn't noticed most of the kinks in producing a new car is having kinks. I don't remember any new car not having problems.

The brakes, fuel gauge, differential, and front windows are warrented, Nissan will extend the warranty if the problem persists. In my opinion the ford 150, is a great truck I just think that Nissan has produced a better product for todays buyers.

I use my truck for HVAC. I put about 2500 to 3000 miles monthly on it. The trucks great. The motor is bullet proof, and I bet it will outlast any American made motor, without modifications.

mondo
  • rrtitanrrtitan Member Posts: 6
    Toyota's new larger truck will be manufacturered in San Antonio Texas. They are looking at rolling out their first trucks around late 2007 or early 2008. It will take a couple of years to build out the facility.
  • scubaguyscubaguy Member Posts: 2
    okay...I've driven a 97 f150 for 125k miles and recently tested the '05 lariat and the '05 titan le...all I can ask is: WHAT THE HECK IS FORD THINKING???

They should fire the designers/engineers now if they havent' already...i love my f150 but the new one is a disaster ... ford went backwards in some areas (like putting the jack and other stuff on the floor where I store things, making the bed rails so high you need a ladder to reach anything, etc.), missed the boat on others (180 degree folding doors, cargo management, power, ride quality, etc) and got a few things right (style, interior look, exterior looks)...

Overall, I say the titan wins hands down without even starting a quality discussion...i'm afraid to buy the new f150 because of the vibration problems...I asked the ford dealer how that was going...he said it was fixed...but didn't know what the solution was!!! At least with the titan we know the brake problem is manageable...that's my view folks for what its worth.

So ford will discount themselves into oblivion...they have no other choice...and now they have let the imports take their biggest market...yup, there are die hards but even they will fall...all i say is: don't believe me, drive the titan...I was thoroughly impressed.
This discussion has been closed.