Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan vs. Ford F150

Comments

• aroutharouth Member Posts: 45
    I've driven both the Titan and the Ford. To be honest I like the Titan alot better. The Ford has a better interior and slightly smoother ride, but the Titan's engine is much more powerful and responsive. The Titan also feels more maneuverable.

Oh and as for the ugly comments on here earlier. I thought it looked butt ugly from seeing pictures, but in real life it actually looks pretty good. I was suprised.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Ford trucks get that "not powerful enough engine" a lot, I've noticed. And actually, I've noticed the phenomenon a little myself, when the truck is brand new. After some miles, they seem to open up, learn how to run, or something, and since I've done some towing, I can tell you I've been incredibly impressed with the sustainable low to mid range torque they produce. When you can pull another car on a trailer up a 13 mile grade in 130 degree heat, and the temperature guage never moves, and the air condition remains cold and on, and the truck doesn't downshift, the power is sufficient for me. Now, the Titan may do just as well, but the Ford is no slouch in the motor dept IMO. The Titan may have more tip in when new, I don't know, haven't driven one yet.
  • landru2landru2 Member Posts: 638
    The "new-to-trucks" Titan boosters keep bringing up this "Ford has weak engines" stuff like they've discovered plutonium. Actually, Ford trucks have lost the paper horsepower wars for years against the Chev Vortecs and Dodge Magnum engines. Doesn't seem to have hurt Ford's sales for the last decade or so. So the Titan may be more powerful. Big deal, what Ford competitor hasn't been more powerful over the last 10 years?

Now, I have no doubt the Titan is a nice truck. I just find it mildly amusing when I hear people trying to justify their purchase decision by running down a competitor. The personal investment some people make in the truck they buy is incredible sometimes.
  • tbeechertbeecher Member Posts: 31
    I agree with you. I have been following the forums since before I bought my Titan. There are plenty of zealots on both sides. I bought my Titan because I liked it and it fit my needs better than any other truck. I don't hate people who drive something else. It gets tiring when some feel that if you didn't buy this then you suck. Not true.

I have been involved with Miata clubs for 13 years and believe me there are many who believe that the Miata is the best roadster around and will argue the point forever. For me it is just a fun little car..
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    "Can you give me more information on this, please?

thanks,
    Dusty "

Here's Ward's Auto News Release on it....

http://subscribers.wardsauto.com/microsites/Newsarticle.asp?newsa- rticleid=2666867&srid=10088&instanceid=29125&pageid=5- 991&magazineid=1004&siteid=26

That was for 2003 10Best Engine Awards, the 2004 winners have already been mentioned, and that info will be posted in their site later this month (from what they stated last month).
  • renonevadarenonevada Member Posts: 69
    Our project manager just bought a 2004 Silverado after reviewing and driving all of the "big trucks", and I asked him why did he choose this over the Titan, or for that matter, the F150? He said that two things affected his decision: proven design and a HECKUVA cash deal. He admitted that the Titan is most impressive, but when you get a fullsize truck that is $8500 cheaper than its competitor (comparably equipped models), that buys a lot of "inconvenience". He should know design very well: a master's ME from a Big East school who has designed compressor stations for processing plants his whole career. Extremely detailed in process analysis. And he does the maintenance himself on everything he owns.

I still like the Titan most. But it's hard to argue with a person's decision to save a lot of dough.
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Here's my 2-cents...

RAM - I loved the feel of the Hemi, the overall appearance, and the tire/wheel package, but hated the cheap look and feel of the interior (SLT Laredo pkg).
    Silverado/Sierra - I like the traction control option on a 2WD and the body style, but (again) hated the cheap interior.
    Titan - I like the innovation (rear doors, bed cargo management, tool compartment - but it should be non-metal). Great power train! I don't like the interior or the style.
    Tundra - I'm trading mine due to brake and engine problems. It has a nice (but small) interior.
    F150 - It's smooth! IMO, it looks and feels like a quality product. Dealers are negotiating and it can be bought for MUCH less than sticker. I've ordered a: 2WD XLT, Reg cab, 6.5' styleside bed, 5.4L, 3.55 LSD, trailer tow, fog lights, rear defrost, rear sensors, keyless entry, and mirror pkg.

Truth be told, I could "survive" without a pickup since I don't haul that much. It would be smarter (MPG) for me to purchase a sedan since I drive about 3K miles each month (job). However, I'm human and we humans are different. We have different needs and desires. I getting what I want, not necessarily what I need.

Each truck listed above is perfect for someone. Check them out (with an open mind) and get what suits you. Have fun doing it and enjoy whatever you get!
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Thanks for the engine review. Appreciate it.

However, I'm more interested in your comment about "Independent testing facilities have concluded that the 6.0L Pwerstroke Diesel by Navistar in the F-series is the most reliable."

I'd like to know the name of this independent test facility or the source of the information.

Thanks in advance,
    Dusty
  • biggie2biggie2 Member Posts: 45
    Kind surprized no one has commented on this months review of four door trucks.

The results:
    5: Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
    4: Tundrea Double Cab
    3: Ram 1500 Quad Cab
    2: F-150 Supercrew
    1: Titan SE Crew Cab

Ford basically got the [non-permissible content removed] kicked out of them by the Titan. The Tundra, Ram, and F-150 were seperated by just 1 point each. Meaning the F-150 could have easily been rated 4th!! If a measily two points had swung the other way. The Titan won over the F-150 by 7 points!

You know, they really didnt bash the Ford in any way during the review. And their largest complaint was, of course, the power of the 5.4L V8, but just an engine seems like a stupid reason to make a Truck lose that badly. C&D has always had the big motor bias, but this time it seems a little bit of a stretch.

Its true that the Ford had the SLOWEST 0-60 time of 9.3 seconds which is simply a sad display of how bad Ford messed up in that department.

The Ford got the worst overal score for powertrain, and surprizingly the second lowest total score for chassis.

I dunno, this is starting to piss me off, i had such high hopes of Ford reserection. I mean second is not bad at all, and this truck is far better than the last but it shows once again that Japan will eventually run american automakers out of business. Its not that the Ford is a bad truck but Ford put its ALL into this truck. I dont know numbers but i know they spent a ton and ton of time and money into this truck. They are veteran truck makers with more resources and knowledge of truck building yet can still lose to a first time effort by Nissan? Nissan isnt even that great of a company. Nissan is not a Toyota or Honda, a step below. Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan, selling out to Renault.

I felt like this truck was the begining something great. The best truck on the market followed by the best large sedan (five hundred), followed by a revolutionary and hopefulyl highly rated car based SUV, followed one of the best midsize sedans (futura). I dunno what the other cars are like, but the fact that Ford spent much more money redeveloping the F-150 then i am sure they have spent on the other new vehicles coming up makes me scared how those other cars will fair against the competition.

Lets hope they are reliable.

The results:
    5: Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
    4: Tundrea Double Cab
    3: Ram 1500 Quad Cab
    2: F-150 Supercrew
    1: Titan SE Crew Cab

Ford basically got the [non-permissible content removed] kicked out of them by the Titan. The Tundra, Ram, and F-150 were seperated by just 1 point each. Meaning the F-150 could have easily been rated 4th!! If a measily two points had swung the other way. The Titan won over the F-150 by 7 points!

You know, they really didnt bash the Ford in any way during the review. And their largest complaint was, of course, the power of the 5.4L V8, but just an engine seems like a stupid reason to make a Truck lose that badly. C&D has always had the big motor bias, but this time it seems a little bit of a stretch.

Its true that the Ford had the SLOWEST 0-60 time of 9.3 seconds which is simply a sad display of how bad Ford messed up in that department.

The Ford got the worst overal score for powertrain, and surprizingly the second lowest total score for chassis.

I dunno, this is starting to piss me off, i had such high hopes of Ford reserection. I mean second is not bad at all, and this truck is far better than the last but it shows once again that Japan will eventually run american automakers out of business. Its not that the Ford is a bad truck but Ford put its ALL into this truck. I dont know numbers but i know they spent a ton and ton of time and money into this truck. They are veteran truck makers with more resources and knowledge of truck building yet can still lose to a first time effort by Nissan? Nissan isnt even that great of a company. Nissan is not a Toyota or Honda, a step below. Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan, selling out to Renault.

I felt like this truck was the begining something great. The best truck on the market followed by the best large sedan (five hundred), followed by a revolutionary and hopefulyl highly rated car based SUV, followed one of the best midsize sedans (futura). I dunno what the other cars are like, but the fact that Ford spent much more money redeveloping the F-150 then i am sure they have spent on the other new vehicles coming up makes me scared how those other cars will fair against the competition.

Lets hope they are reliable.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788

I posted about it yesterday over in the "Titan" thread.

Bob
    Maybe I can p*** everybody off.

First, you must realize that the difference between you and five or six other people on this board and the evaluation staff at Car & Driver is the fact they have direct access to a printing press. There are a few statistics and a lot of subjective opinion involved in the "standings." Haven't you in the past driven a vehicle and found that at least one aspect of somebody else's evaluation you didn't agree with?

Secondly, if you take a look at all of the recent full-size truck entries are they not a light year or two away from what they each were just two decades ago? Heck, get in a '94 of any make and I think you'll realize the difference. I drove one of our '94 Chevy maintenance vehicles a few days ago and I thought it was a toilet compared to my '03 Dakota.

Regardless of the ego-based biases in here, the truth is that as product goes they've all improved immensely. So maybe Ford is actually a lot closer than you think.

Now that being said, look what's happened to truck prices. The truck product has gotten subjectively "better" largely in part to increasing the sophistication level of the truck and making it more car like. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing. I don't know, but the fact is for Dodge, Ford, and GM the heavy duty segment of the truck market has been steadily growing, indicating MAYBE that the "domestication" of the 1/2 ton PU is being viewed more as the emasculation of the 1/2 ton PU by consumers.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I don't know, but the fact is for Dodge, Ford, and GM the heavy duty segment of the truck market has been steadily growing, indicating MAYBE that the "domestication" of the 1/2 ton PU is being viewed more as the emasculation of the 1/2 ton PU by consumers.

Interesting observation, and I think there's some truth to it. I see a lot of "truckers" buying 3/4 & 1-ton trucks as personal use vehicles these days, which was unheard of just a few years back. I really do think that they don't want to be associated with those who buy "wimp 1/2 tons." I don't agree with them, but I really do think that sentiment is out there to some degree.

Bob
  • landru2landru2 Member Posts: 638
    Before you slit your wrists...

0-60 times are probably the last consideration for the average truck buyer, if it is even considered at all. As I noted earlier, if that wasn't the case then Ford wouldn't have sold any trucks over the last ten years. Let's face it, if someone highly values 0-60 sprints there are many more enjoyable choices than a pick-up truck.

It's interesting that Nissan has used a technique typically associated with the Big-3, and usually frowned upon by the import fans - upping the displacement to get more power. Whereas the big engines in say, a Freestar or Mustang GT are viewed as throwbacks simply because of their size, the big 5.6 V8 in the Titan is given kudos for producing big power.

Working at Ford stores for many years, I have heard many negative comments about "gas-guzzling behemoths" by the anti-big-3 crowd. I find it interesting that these types of comments have all but disappeared in recent years as virtually every major import brand now sells their own "gas-guzzling behemoths."
    >>>I really do think that they don't want to be associated with those who buy "wimp 1/2 tons." I don't agree with them, but I really do think that sentiment is out there to some degree.<<<

I agree with you, too. Still some feel the need to have "the badest" truck around. I've met a couple who own dualies but don't even tow a 15 foot fishing boat.

There is, I think, one other aspect. There's been emphasis placed on the ride of PUs, probably due to the fact that the PU has increasingly become a primary vehicle for a lot of people. So companies have engineered a more supple ride, but at what expense? Have you noticed that actual payloads have decreased in 1/2 ton series from 20 years ago? This has meant that a certain population of commercial buyer has felt the need to move into a heavier truck.

Regards,
    Dusty
    I was listening to Car Talk this morning, and a woman called in with a 91 Volvo, that had literally dropped its transmission and driveline out on the road while she was driving it, the cross member had rusted away! And Tom & Ray were telling her that this was really not such a bad thing. She went on to mention how literally nothing else worked on this Volvo either and was glad to be done with it. Tom & Ray recommended she get a 99 Volvo to replace it!

I don't have a problem with Volvo. I rather like the S-80 my partner has. But I was thinking during this show, that if it had been a Crown Victoria that had rusted away and dropped the tranny & driveline, there would have been no room for the Ford bashing and not enough time in the show remaining to bring up the Pinto, the Bronco II, and the Explorer's woes with the tires.

But Volvo gets a pass for dropping an engine! If that damn thing had actually got loose under the car and flipped it, she would have died. You can bet she would not be looking for another Crown Vic!
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    Want to know what owners really think about their trucks? Subscribe to various enthusiast web sites out there dedicated to the particular vehicles. Nothing is more true that hearing it from the owners themselves, instead of arguing over 0-60 from a magazine.

Of course the game always continues. Chevy talks about best horsepower "in it's class", and Dodge with their towing on the dragstrip vs an f-150 "in it's class". Try that with a 6.0l next time Mr. Mopar!
    You know, a new Dodge Ram lives across the street from me now, and it's just a gorgeous truck. I get to see it from all angles now, and I think it's a thing of beauty, even in Silver. But then when he opens the door, the interior reminds me of the 86 Dodge truck or van, and I wanna barf! After all, that's where I live, inside the truck. So, I still have to go with the Ford. Their interior is the nicest, and the motor seems fine to me.

The Silverado & Titan don't look too good inside or outside to me.
    "Regardless of the ego-based biases in here, the truth is that as product goes they've all improved immensely. So maybe Ford is actually a lot closer than you think."

What does that have to do with anything? Evolution of any product is going to bring forth improvement. This does not mean that the evolved vehicle is better than the rest of the competition. Maybe i am not seeing your point but saying that Ford and GM are doing good as companies because they have been able to make a vehicle better than the last one available is rediculous. I must not understand you point...

"0-60 times are probably the last consideration for the average truck buyer, if it is even considered at all."

I am not in the truck market so i dont really know how it goes... All i know is that i like power... A two second difference 0-60 time in a regular sedan is like an eternity. To me is sounds like ignorance on Fords part. Sure they might sell fine now, but i think people like power. Ford cannot continuously just leave out important things like a powerful powertrain if they plan on keeping the truck market safe from the japanese.

It just blows my mind that they wont do something to stretch 20 hp out of the engine. I dont know what costs are associated with such a thing but man i want complete success. Put it to them Ford! Why wont they do that? Why do things to a 70% success?

"I don't know, but the fact is for Dodge, Ford, and GM the heavy duty segment of the truck market has been steadily growing, indicating MAYBE that the "domestication" of the 1/2 ton PU is being viewed more as the emasculation of the 1/2 ton PU by consumers."

I see your point and it is probably true, but no one doubts the 1/2 ton market is emmensily larger, and i would highly doubt that ford is as worried about making the best 1 ton truck as they are maintaining its lead over Chevy and Dodge in overall sales. And probably 75% of those sales are F-150 sales...
  • txoilmantxoilman Member Posts: 6
    "Secondly, if you take a look at all of the recent full-size truck entries are they not a light year or two away from what they each were just two decades ago?"

I think this is a key point in vehicle comparisons these days. They have all improved greatly in safety, reliability, ride, and features offered from a few years past, no matter who the manufacturer is. I view everything in life as a tradeoff, including aspects that go into selection of a vehicle. In this case, I agree with others stated here that horsepower in the F150 is 'fine', and for me it is part of the total experience I am looking for. I think its good that people feel a little passion about the cars/trucks they drive - a little like being in love. When I search for a new vehicle and discover that 'feeling', then I know I've found the right one.
    Dusty

"I'd like to know the name of this independent test facility or the source of the information.

Thanks in advance,
    Dusty "

I kept the Ward's reference since it's a media outlet that I frequent reguarly and available online for easy view. As to the independent testing facilities, it was a print article which compared various Diesel engine maker's, and in it listed the agencies who monitor this (I'm guessing a JDPower's for Diesel engine design). As to what their agency names where, I cannot remember since this is information from something I read months back.

Landru,
    " I find it interesting that these types of comments have all but disappeared in recent years as virtually every major import brand now sells their own "gas-guzzling behemoths." "

Interesting tidbit, the asian manufacturer's TRUCK CAFE is worse than the BIG3. According to an article I read recently on Detroit News.
    Biggie,
    "Its true that the Ford had the SLOWEST 0-60 time of 9.3 seconds which is simply a sad display of how bad Ford messed up in that department. "

If a fast pick-up is what you would like, there's the F-150 SVT Lighting.
    >>>As to the independent testing facilities, it was a print article which compared various Diesel engine maker's, and in it listed the agencies who monitor this (I'm guessing a JDPower's for Diesel engine design). As to what their agency names where, I cannot remember since this is information from something I read months back.<<<

Yeah, I think I know what your refering to now. I have worked with our company's fleet program for a number of years and still very close to the industry. I am not aware of any data that supports the claim that the new Powerstroke ENGINE is more reliable than a Cummins. What you are refering to is data that shows that a diesel Ford truck had a lower reported repair incidence than a Dodge in the first 90 days of service, and I'm pretty certain that even that data is now at least two years old.

While the Ford truck in total may have been "more reliable," that does not mean that the engine itself is the prime contributor.

Dusty
    >>>If a fast pick-up is what you would like, there's the F-150 SVT Lighting.<<<

Excellent point!

This performance desire is the result of many PU purchasers owning one as a primary vehicle -- in essence in lieu of a passenger car. That's why speed in general is important to some, and having the claim to the fastest one to feed ego for others.

Dusty
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    It is not an excellent point. It was very flippant.
    It is not about having the fastest and worrying about fractions of seconds. If it was, then some kind of souped-up version would be the best choice. It was about having something that just doesn't feel sluggish.
    The F-150 was so slow it actually felt sluggish trying to quickly accelerate onto a freeway on ramp.
    >>>It is not an excellent point. It was very flippant.<<<

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but by the standards of the english language it was not "lacking in respect or seriousness" in my opinion.

The speed differential you're refering to is not the difference between a quarter horse and a elephant. The new F150 may feel slow to you, and maybe it is compared to something else. But of the Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Titan, and Tundra, what are the actual recorded times?

I suspect they are reasonably close, close enough to not make a difference to the average buyer.

Dusty
    "What you are refering to is data that shows that a diesel Ford truck had a lower reported repair incidence than a Dodge in the first 90 days of service, and I'm pretty certain that even that data is now at least two years old.

While the Ford truck in total may have been "more reliable," that does not mean that the engine itself is the prime contributor."

Not exactly since the Powerstroke 6.0L has been only out for a bit over a year. The article stated that what they analyzed were the total running hours when they ran/tested all the diesel engines. This was in reference to one testing facility, although they didn't mention what criteria the second one used.

This article was mainly written because the auto-journalist was discussing the possible push for diesels in the U.S., and the Big 3 Automaker's current plans.
    Congrats again to the F-150 which was just awarded North American Truck of the Year at the Auto show. While the Prius received Car of the Year award.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0401/04/autos-25950.htm

Source; Detroit News
    >>>Not exactly since the Powerstroke 6.0L has been only out for a bit over a year. The article stated that what they analyzed were the total running hours when they ran/tested all the diesel engines. This was in reference to one testing facility, although they didn't mention what criteria the second one used.<<<

Are you saying this was a lab test of engines?

Can you just point me to the article then?

Dusty
    "Are you saying this was a lab test of engines?

Can you just point me to the article then?

Dusty"

Yes it was lab tested from what the article stated, but being a print article as I stated earlier, (unlike the Ward's information) I wasn't able to save it like a bookmark to use it as a reference.
    Well, you'll have to excuse me but lab testing is not the same thing as actual service. But if a lab has done this in the last year or so, the time period that equates to the new Powerstroke engine, and was covered by a print journalist, it should be readily available.

I've been searching web-based artcles and can't find anything that verifies this. I have Lexus-Nexus in the office and I'll do a search tomorrow.

Dusty
    I've looked up articles on Detroit News, and Freepress, to see if I can find it, but I haven't been able to dedicate that much time to it. And since I don't remember who the journalist was, makes it that much harder to track down.

I'm thinking, maybe an online Powerstroke discussion forum, as the next alternative? Maybe they might have a clue.
  • twinbladesztwinbladesz Member Posts: 104
    During MT's TOY test they had 7 Trucks.

F150, Titan, Colorado/Canyon twins, Tundra Double cab, SSR, and the SR10 Ram.

The Ram had the fastest time of 4.8 seconds next ws the Titan with 7.2 I will have to get the book I left it in my Explorer to give you the rest of the figures. Although I do remmeber the F150 was over a second behind the Titan at 8. something. With all its 46 variations the Ford can fit many peoples purposes.
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    Last year Forbes Magazine reported that Ford sold more SuperDuty (F-250 and up) than F-150's. So F-150 is less than 50% of their sales, not 75%.

3/4 tons are increasingly popular with fleet buyers. I see fewer contractors using half tons every year. The people that LOAD them find they do less repairs if the truck is more than barely adequate.

Harry
    2 things: On speed? I remember thinking a Tahoe was faster than an Expedition by driving them both - until I raced the two against each other. What I really found was the Expedition was quicker, but quieter and smoother, and therefore, felt slower.

Secondly; some first out anecdotal evidence on the Armada. Colleague of mine just acquired one to replace his 98 Tahoe. Stealing the first sale from GM I thought. Then I asked him why the Armada instead of another Tahoe? He said, Oh, I wouldn't have bought another Tahoe anyway, I would have bought a Sequoia, then I saw the Armada and liked it better.

FWIW department only.
    "Last year Forbes Magazine reported that Ford sold more SuperDuty (F-250 and up) than F-150's. So F-150 is less than 50% of their sales, not 75%."

I stand corrected, and quite surprized to tell you the truth. Does this mean Ford will be more dedicated towards spending the fund on the Superdutys then the F-150??

Enlighten me...
    ""Last year Forbes Magazine reported that Ford sold more SuperDuty (F-250 and up) than F-150's. So F-150 is less than 50% of their sales, not 75%.""

I remember reading the same article as well. And the Superduties will next be updated for 2006....
    >>>""Last year Forbes Magazine reported that Ford sold more SuperDuty (F-250 and up) than F-150's. So F-150 is less than 50% of their sales, not 75%.""<<<

Dodge has gone from about 15% 3/4 ton and up in the 1980s to about 60% in 2003. Chevy is about 55% 3/4 ton and up.

After 40+ years my company bought its first LD PUs over 1/2 ton series in 2001 with the addition of two SuperDuties.
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    In the "olden" days, we didn't worry about what the manufacturers MaxGrossVehicleWeight or Maximum Combined vehicle weights were. If it would stay tied on, it was hauled.
    Today, if someone runs into you while you are not moving and you are over the rated limits, they will try to make you liable for the "incident".
    My next truck will be at least a 3/4 ton.
    Paranoia? Welcome to our litigation driven society.
  • darbowdarbow Member Posts: 30
    Ok, who here has driven the 04 F-150 and the new TITAN, lets here it from you folks please- What are the major differences? What will you buy? Is the TITAN really less expensive?
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    What I see happening is contractors are buying BIG dump trucks for the ecconomy of scale when hauling, and it is not so convenient to pull the loader behind it. The HD pickup can pull the skid loader, and carry the extra bucket in the bed. Good luck trying that with a half ton.

The truck makers are also making a high percentage of half tons in luxury trim, at prices that make a contractor grade 3/4 ton look cheap. Do you see many Titans on the lot with rubber floor mats intead of carpeting and plain vinyl seats, with a cheap radio?

The insurance companies may have some influence with the liability issue as mentioned by akjbmw.

Harry
  • wimsey1wimsey1 Member Posts: 201
    Just had a chance to skim a comparison test of half ton crew cabs in the Feb. 04 issue of C/D.
    Their results:
    1. Titan
    2. F-150
    3. Ram (Hemi)
    4. Tundra
    5. Silverado
    Titan was quickest and very well priced in their eyes, I think they found the Ford more refined.
    In any case it appears Nissan has a real contender.
  • hjodyhjody Member Posts: 5
    I'll be getting my new F-150 within the next week. The Titan interior looks cheap to me and I didn't like the exterior styling so I chose the Ford. The F-150 handles great and it's quieter than the Titan. The F-150 is slower but I don't have a "need for speed". The Titan was definetely a very close second on my list though. Perhaps next time it'll be a Nissan instead of the Ford. Hope your all happy with your trucks regardless of the brand. You can't go wrong with either truck.
  • twinbladesztwinbladesz Member Posts: 104
    That is true, at least with what most of the reviews report. The F150 has better steering feel, same as the Expedition over the Armada. Everything is pretty subjective though. Just have to test drive each and see what impresses you.

Plus the Ford gives you 46 ways to have your F150 which can be a major plus for those who want their truck a very specific way.
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    I partially agree with hjody. I found the F-150 to be a little quieter, but most of the noise in the Titan was the exhaust. The F-150 also had a slightly better ride (but the Titan's was fine), but I saw no advantage to either in the handling dept. The Ford had a nice interior, especially compared to the model it replaced, but I like the dash and center-stack layout in the Nissan better. Performance and feature-for-the-dollar go heavily in the Titan's favor.

DB
  • kjdenahykjdenahy Member Posts: 16
    I have driven both the F-150 and the Titan. Actually, I was all set to buy the Ford, but I decided to wait until I could drive the Titan. I was blown away. To make sure I drove them both right after one another for me there's no question: I ordered a Titan.
    What I liked about the Ford Lariat Crew Cab: excellent interior, able to get single options (Nissan must buy bundles), exterior look.
    What I like about the Titan LE Crew Cab: the power in the engine, the exhaust sound, side airbags, Utility bed, traction control system, vehicle dynamic control, did I mention the engine?
    The actually have a lot in common, but I couldn't get past the sluggishness of the 150. The first time I drove one I thought the power was adequate, until I drove the Titan right after the F-150, no comparison.
    You really can't go wrong with either one I liked the multiple safety features of the Titan, plus the power is amazing.
    To be honest I actually paid 1K more for the Titan than what I could have gotten the F-150 for, but I liked it that much more.
    If people would actually use their brain instead of their heart there wouldn't be all of these people bashing the Titan. I you are bashing it you haven't driven it. It's that simple.
    The F-150 will sell because people have bought them for years and won't buy anything else, the product doesn't matter that much.

They are both good trucks, I happen to prefer the Titan. Do yourself a favor before you buy any truck and drive them ALL and be honest with yourself and buy what fits you best.
    I noticed lots of bashing for both trucks, myself. I think, along with others here, that you can't go wrong with either truck. Take your pick.
  • jdwood5jdwood5 Member Posts: 2
    I drove my 02 F-150 to the lot and test drove the 04; nice improvement. Then I drove the Titan. Wow! What a difference. It is only 5 horses and a bit of torque more than the ford but the power to weight ratio and the 5th gear make all the difference. That is what sold it for me. I like the styling of both. In fact I was just about to buy the Ford when I drove the Nissan. While the interiors can be fitted out similarly and the cabs and beds are the same size, the drivetrain makes all the difference. Not to mention the utility bed package. On the whole, not a bad truck and it stickered for several thousand less than a comparable truck from the "BIG 3" manufacturers. I paid $2500 under MSRP too.
    See, I have to believe jdwood's experience to be worth something, because he had his mind changed by the test drive. I'm going to drive an Armada next week that a client of mine just acquired, and compare it to my Navigator. I'll report objectively, given that there is some difference in level there.

Sounds like the Titan has something going for it. I can only express my opinion based on sitting in them both. Haven't driven either.
  • triattriat Member Posts: 121
    I would think the Navigator would be more softer and isolated ride since Lincoln's market is upper-luxury. Whereas Nissan market more family and value oriented. Let us know!
    Yeah, but imagine how surprised I'll be if the Armaada is comparable to the Lincoln's ride, quiet & performance! There are asthetics that must be ignored, obviously, but if I close my eyes (so to speak) and just drive, it should be fairly objective. I would expect the Lincoln to win, for the money. We'll see.

Lincoln's actual goal, it seems with the Gator, is not so much ride & isolation, as it is interior comfort, appeal and luxury features. The Expedition isn't a lot different to drive. The Lincoln has 40 more HP, but otherwise, they're quite similar. Just the appointments and features make the real difference.
This discussion has been closed.