Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan vs. Ford F150

Comments

• triattriat Member Posts: 121
    I'm just curious. How many miles do you drive clients for your business?

Is A/C a huge issue where you live? It was brutal that cold day in November when I wanted to check Titan's A/C. But I had to check, we have long hot summers...
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I take clients to lunch pretty frequently. Not a lot of miles, but several times a week.

A/C is probably my #1 issue in both of my homes, one in Vegas and one in Florida. I usually try to buy my cars in the summer for that reason, to make sure I've got a unit that can keep me cool. It's one reason I've been happy with Fords, they usually have great A/C. The current Town Car is an exception, I've noted in rentals. I keep the Caravan in Florida, and the others in Vegas. A/C is KING for me. If a car has weak or trouble prone A/C, I'll dump the car regardless of loss.
  • matzeitmmatzeitm Member Posts: 9
    I was considering the Titan, Tundra and F150 for my next truck. I test drove all 3 on the same day this weekend to get a good comparison. The F150 is a nice truck but it needs a few extras to bring it up to the value that the Titan offers. After some research I also found the F150's reliabilty to be terrible. As one book put it "Ford's reliabilty in recent years has been atrocious" Titan had no rating as it is a first year truck (potential start up glitches) but in examining the Frontier ratings they were very good as far as reliability was concerned.

Upon driving both I was amazed at the diference. The Ford felt like I was driving a tank! You could really feel the weight of the vehicle. It did not feel like a 300 HP engine at all. Now I understand all the sluggish comments I have been reading. My wife had similar thoughts after driving it and though it was a good truck for "Sunday drivers"

Then I test drove the Titan right after and felt like I was the pilot of a rocket! Man does it go. You really feel the power when you step on the gas. IMO the Titan blows the Ford out of the water. My wife's comments..."this is a truck's truck. This is what a truck should feel like"

My decision has been made, my next truck will be a Titan. Nissan has done their homework and put together an excellent truck.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    "As one book put it "Ford's reliabilty in recent years has been atrocious" "

And which book is this, since it's totally false. I would question the source of this book since the F-150 ranked #1 highest in long term dependability.

My source:
    JDPower and Associates
    http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/releases/winners.asp?StudyID=749&a- mp;CatID=1
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    Doesn't matter which book said it...Ford III himself said he knows Ford has quality problems lately. So, he is the CEO of Ford - is he wrong or is your source right???? Ever own a windstar? a Taurus? Are those reliable vehicles? Go back to the F-150 site and read about the brand new 2004 F-150 that completely lost its brakes. Is that reliable?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Our service fleet switched to F150s in '97. The '99 and '00s were very good, but '01s and up increasingly had more quality-related issues and unscheduled maintenance (repairs).

Dusty
  • matzeitmmatzeitm Member Posts: 9
    "And which book is this, since it's totally false. I would question the source of this book since the F-150 ranked #1 highest in long term dependability"

I was reading a book called Lemon-aid for trucks and vans. It is published yearly by Phil Edmonston, very respected for his knowledge in the industry. His books are very knowledgeable IMO and are very popular in Canada.
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    I have read his lemon-aid guides too - he seems to be always bang on the money. He rips all bad vehicles and companies equally - American or other!
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    the only reason the ford was ranked that way is because until 1994, the only competitor was chevy. in other words, it wasnt because of the high quality, it was because of a lack of competition.

kinda like a super bowl between detroit and arizona. ;-)
    "..Ford III himself said he knows Ford has quality problems lately. So, he is the CEO of Ford - is he wrong or is your source right????"

Just like GM admitted in the past they had quality problems as well. Just like Toyota admitted they had a sludge problem with their 3.0L V6 engines if not properly maintained. Just like Honda admitted trannies on certain vehicles had issues and extended the warranty, just like Ford had head gasket issues with the 3.8L and extended warranties in them. Your point?

The fact was, this book stated that the F-150 had "astrocious" dependability. And I showed proof it was the actually leader on dependability.

"Ever own a windstar? a Taurus? Are those reliable vehicles? "

No I dont believe in FWD vehicles. But I do know of Windstar and Taurus owner's that have had them for years without any issues. Just view some of their message boards. Just a few bad lemons, doesn't mean everyone got lemons.

" Go back to the F-150 site and read about the brand new 2004 F-150 that completely lost its brakes. Is that reliable? "

Just as one Titan owner mentioned on another car board mentioned his airbag popped unexpectedly, another one is having electrical issues. Point? A few bad lemons, doesn't mean everyone is getting a lemon. Remember, people will complain more often, than to compliment.

"the only reason the ford was ranked that way is because until 1994, the only competitor was chevy"

The Dependability study/report was based upon vehicles from the past 3-5 years... NOT 1994. Yes, the F-150 did beat out the Tundra...imagine that. Of course, some will claim that's unholy and impossible, but the print is there.
    Personally, I didn't have the greatest luck with my Taurus/Sables, but my cousin is on his 3rd Taurus, and got 350,000 out of his first one, 250,000 out of his second, and has 100,000 on his third so far, and swears by them. We're talking 2 89s and the current one is a 00. So, yes, I'd have to say they were reliable on the whole.
  • landru2landru2 Member Posts: 638
    Didn't I also read on the Titan board about a guy having brake failure on his week old Titan and then the dealer being unable to get parts to repair it?

You must remember that post keanec, you responded to it.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    LAME BOOKS! I think, and I may be wrong here, but wouldn't sales of the F-150 and F-series in general suffer greatly if their quality was "atrocious?" I think so. I sat in a Titan at the Detroit Auto show. Nice, but I don't think that there is anything in the interior that makes it stand out any more than the F-150's. I don't see where the plastics are any better or worse in the Titan. Certain things felt insignificant, and not all of the dials were weighted well in the Titan. There were also areas in the F-150 (I sat in a lariat) that were cheapish, but they seemed to be in more appropriate/insignificant places.

I will give credit where credit is due. Kudos to Nissan for the nice 5.6. It really does completely trump the 4.6 which is what you get with an apples to apples price comparison. So I will say that Nissan does have a decent price advantage. What I don't see are all of these other huge differences in quality and interior materials. In fact, they seems so much alike. Anyway, Ford gets my vote. Mostly because of its 5 interior variations. Say what you will about the wood trim in the lariat. I thought it was very nice. Just my thoughts folks, peace :-)
  • kjdenahykjdenahy Member Posts: 16
    look at you Ford guys defend your truck. You'll probably never drive anything other than a Ford, are you on your 2nd, 3rd or 4th 150? That's great, you have a truck you like and it works for you. My dad and grandpa have always driven Fords and will never drive anything without the blue badge.
    Personally, I was all set to get an '04 Crew Cab Lariat F-150, I decided to test drive a Titan "just in case." Thank God I did! If people would drive the two and truly look at the trucks and not the names I think 9 out of 10 would buy the Titan.
    jrc_346, the Titan 5.6 is a better engine than the 4.6, but it also blows the 5.4 away as well. Drive them both back to back and you'll know what I'm talking about.
    Will Ford sell a lot of trucks? You bet, because of people like my dad and grandpa. They won't give anything else a chance. They're happey with Ford and it means something to them to drive a Ford. They'll defend Ford to no end. Nothing is wrong with that.
    If you want the best truck, drive them ALL, then choose from there. Don't just go and get your Next one.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I don't own a Ford and the only ford that I have ever owned was a used '67 Bronco. Although I have no ties to ford products, I have no problem defending thier quality. They make a good product that sells well at a competitive price. If they didn't, they wouldn't be on top. And a whole lot of owners must be really stupid. Sorry, its not because of "brand loyalty". I have noticed one thing about "reliability". It seems that people that have an unreliable vehicle tend to have more "problem vehicles" and those that don't seem to have good luck with most of thier purchases. Could have a lot to do with driving and maintainence habits. You want to compare quality or reliabilty of a full size truck from ford that has been making them for many decades to an automaker that has a lot of experience, but not in full sized trucks. Their can't be a comparison made until these new trucks rack up a few miles. Quality and reliability are not measured on the showroom floor or on a test drive.
  • hjodyhjody Member Posts: 5
    This is my first F-150...I've always been a Chevy-guy; never liked Fords...This truck doesn't sell well because of brand loyalty...if one has a multitude of problems with something, common sense says their not going to purchase it again...especially when large sums of money is involved...I'm tired of import owners saying the same thing over and over...I bought the new F-150 because it was the best built truck...no other reason
    you originally said:

"the F-150 ranked #1 highest in long term dependability."

then you said:

"The Dependability study/report was based upon vehicles from the past 3-5 years... NOT 1994."

how can you call it "long term dependability" when its only on 5 year old trucks?!?! what happens after 5 years? 8? 12?

thats as good an oxymoron as ive heard lately! ;-)
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    If you look at trucks that are actually worked on a farm or ranch, 5 years can take it's toll. Besides what is wrong with a 3-5 year metric? You would prefer 10 or 15 year old trucks? Would that be a more worthwhile examination of quality to see how a decade or two affects dependability? 3 to 5 years falls directly in the range of most financing periods, so I believe it is a good range to examine. The closer you get to 10 years old, it is hard to differentiate build quality issues with lack of maintenance issues. Also the 3-5 year metric is probably the best year range for those considering buying in the used market.

Unless you just want to nit pick every little thing said here. I've been there and done that before you ever joined edmunds. It's easy to build up a mentality that looks for any small notion to berate, but in the end it just gets old and silly. I know you love the truck you sell. Just realize not everyone believes the same as you. In fact some people have trouble trusting salespeople in general. In the end it really doesn't matter. Let the trucks do the talking.
    well...a little touchy are we?

fact is, i sell fords too. im just being logical. these days, where most vehicles go well over 8 years old/100k miles, 3-5 years just isnt realistically "long-term". if you think it is, then you are living in the 50s when it was. i want to know how my vehicle will be when it has 150k miles on it. the study in question doesnt do that.

besides...even at 5 years, the tundra was barely around. the dodge is worthless in quality, so that leaves just 2...(remembering reference to super bowl)

;-)
    "I don't own a Ford and the only ford that I have ever owned was a used '67 Bronco." If Ford makes such a good reliable product then why don't you drive one?
     "And a whole lot of owners must be really stupid. Sorry, its not because of "brand loyalty"." You're obviously not from the Mid-West. Brand loyalty IS what it's all about. Men buy trucks because they're dad drove it, then they drive it. They are proud to be part of that brands family.
    Also, I never once mentioned anything about Ford's reliability, I've been around them all of my life and was going to buy one. I however have an open mind and decided to buy the better truck, period.
    My last point, for a truck that makes such a "quality and reliable" product how come they can't figure out what's making the truck vibrate so much? Maybe if they looked at the polyurethane bushing it may help. Why is it that Ford uses a plastic and everyone else uses rubber? Did I mention no other manufacturer has a severe cabin vibration problem?

Again I WAS going to buy a Ford, I really don't think it's the better truck, but that's my opinion.
    Well, the fact is, until we see where some sales data falls, we're not going to really know how much impact the Titan is going to have. All we are doing here is speculating and posturing, and fun as that may be, there are really only two things we can depend on:

1) Nissan is going to sell some Titans.
    2) Somebody, or everybody else is going to lose some market share.

Now, let's hang on and see how much.
    I wouldn't be loyal to a company or truck for that matter if it wasn't good to me. I mean it shouldn't need all of this explanation. The Ford F-150 has Fords most loyal customers, and that probably has more to do with a good product, and less to do with what their dad drove.

BTW, my dad worked for Fisher Body (GM), so I'll let you guess what I drove growing up.

Bowke- At 5+ years there are a whole multitude of things that could contribute to the problems that a car may or may not have. Such as keeping up with maintenance etc.
    "The Dependability study/report was based upon vehicles from the past 3-5 years... NOT 1994."

how can you call it "long term dependability" when its only on 5 year old trucks?!?! what happens after 5 years? 8? 12? "

Read the study, and learn more about how it's composed and what's involved.

Like MidnightStand said..."Unless you just want to nit pick every little thing said here."
    Because I have only owned 1 Ford does not mean that I can't sincerely believe in thier quality. There are a lot of factors weighted in purchasing a vehicle. Quality is not always the #1 spot on the list. Especially when you have no option but to purchase used. I've owned vehicles made from Volkswagon (several), Accura, Infiniti, Dodge (several), Chevy, GMC, Mazda, Datsun, Toyota,Ford, International, Caddilac, Honda, Saab, and AMC, just name a few. Different vehicles for different purposes bought under a variety of differnt conditions.

Brand loyal, I'm not. I pick what fits best at the time. From the midwest? , yes, I'm from the Chicago metro area (the 'burbs). And actually my Dad drove whatever he could get a good deal on. Not a picky man.

If Fords made such good quality vehicles, then why did I only buy one? Well Bresslers sells 31 flavors and I like to have a taste of all of them. How many carmakers are there? I better get buying or I won't get to try some of them.

Ford vibration, a problem? Do you think this is unique? Look up the data on the Silverado when it came out. The quality issues were endless. Including severe vibration.
    That's why they're on the road longer than Chevy or Ford?
    Drove a client's Pathfinder Armada today, which is derived from the Titan. NOW I get what everybody is saying, because functionally, this is an awesome truck - even when I compare it to my Navigator. Cosmetically, it matches the dismal interiors I see on all Nissan products these days, and even the exterior is wierd looking to me, but if you can close your eyes while driving (ha ha), this is one incredible truck. The power is outstanding, handling is amazing, the 4WD is impeccable, even when half on asphalt, and half on gravel. It's a very stable truck, and extremely comfortable.

Conclusion: If you don't care how it looks, buy the Titan/Armada. Tundra/Sequoia should really look out, because other than the cosmetics, it's 10 times the truck.
    Well I don't really know if Dodges are on the road longer than Chevys or Fords, but I can understand you wanting to defend Dodge from that thoughtless assumption. Take Care :-)
    Loyalty from those in the city and those from small rural farm communities are completely different. I live in a big city now and there is no loyalty or honesty for that matter. I don't think you have any idea what I'm talking about. That's okay.
    And I'm glad to see Chevy was smart enough to figure the vibration thing out, maybe Ford will some day too.
    You have driven a lot of different vehicles, what's your next one going to be?
    My next vehicle will probably be an F250 or a Dodge 2500. Depends on what I feel better about when the time comes. I only have 90,000 on my Dodge 1500 now. It will be awhile. My city is in the "metro area" but is only 20,000 people with surrounding areas of communities that don't exceed a few hundred. I have 7 minutes from my house to work and I pass more 1 farm on the way.

My point is, I see brand loyalty disappearing more each year. Consumers want the most for thier hard earned dollar. And that means changing brands.
    The thoughtless assumption is yours, because its a fact.
  • triattriat Member Posts: 121
    It's interesting when Ford posters cite the instrument panel dials and the seats when nominating the F150 as best interior.

Personally I look at a lot more details, especially the items I use most frequently. The door handles(exterior & interior)on the F150's function crudely and feel cheap. The doors/hinge action is clumsy. The turn signal feels and operates like it's off a Walmart toy. I have serious doubts the silver dollar sized ducts can handle real Texas heat. The door handle to center console width is tight. And I'm thin! Finally at least for me(I'm 6'1), with the driver's seat adjusted the B pillar creates a blind spot for left. After glancing at mirrors, I like to look before switching lanes.

Sometimes folks say one interior is better than the other without being specific about what level interiors they are comparing.

Despite the shortcomings noted above with all F150s, I think the Lariat interior is better than the LE. There is a richness or ambiance in the Lariat bordering on Mercury. But then a Lariat is at least $35K on up to $40K.

I think the Titan is better than the F150 at XE & SE levels. All levels of the Titan have solid feeling,smooth action door handles; precise weighted & smooth hinged doors; easier entry/exit; more room for the driver's left knee; nice turn signal; larger air ducts with near silent fan even at high speed. If you get the center floor shifter on the Titan, it is Step-Gated which is a nice feature.

The SE has nice Standard features like power pedals, and leather steering wheel.

On a separate issue, but similar theme: How about Titan's Utility bed! Wow, it's like Nissan actually talked to us athletes and outdoors types. And Nissan listened! Ford has ignored us 20+ years, and Ford still thinks we should be happy to have an empty box?

Just my humble, stupid, late night opinions :)
    Okey doke guy, if you say so. Next time I'll just keep my mouth shut, or er, my fingers tied. I reread over my previous message, and maybe it was misinterpreted? When I said "thoughtless assumption" I was refering to the individual that stated that "dodges quality is worthless." Not your statement on them being on the road longer than Chevys or Fords. Hope this clears things up:-/
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Next time anyone is cross-comparing the Titan Crew Cab against the F-150's Super Crew, go to the back seat area and fold up the rear seats.

The Titan's fold up rear seat (for utility and function) is so much better than the F-150's fold-up rear seat for the following reasons:

When you fold up the F-150's rear seat you end up with a part of the seat frame mounted to the floor, and sticking out, which partially obstructs loading. In addition, on the passenger's side, the jack is mounted where the seat base would normally be in the down position, which is in the middle of the floor. This creates a lumpy load floor on that side. It's not good design, especially when compared to the Titan's solution.

On the Titan, when both rear seats are folded up, there's no seat frame obstructing loading, and the jack is neatly tucked away under the folded rear seat. The load floor is clear and free of any obstructions, unlike the F-150.

Granted, these are small details, but probably very typical of what you might expect in cross-shopping the Titan vs. F-150.

Bob
  • durocabdurocab Member Posts: 21
    It also looks as if there is plenty room in the Titan behind the seat to put a gun case for all us hunters out there.
    heck...you can fasten the gun case to the utilitrak!

;-)
    Yes, I misinterpreted your comment. My humble apologies.

Regards,
    Dusty
    say it aint so!!!
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Toyota just surpassed Ford as the second largest automaker. If it wasn't for the F150, Ford would have declared Chapter 11 long time ago. Ford's stock is rated just one notch above "junk", while Toyota and for that matter Nissan is on a role. Why is Ford losing market share year after year? Even if the Titan takes away just a small share of the market from Ford, it would very well sink Ford Motor Company.
  • dave989dave989 Member Posts: 21
    MotownUsa thats true fords losing marketshare but this year could be different i really see a "different" side of ford this year after i drove up to the Detroit Auto Show out of the Big 3 i think ford has the most promising cars the F-150 has definately raised the bars for trucks this year. I really think if ford plays there cards right and Bill Ford emphasized quality this year and reliablity and they market the products to the midwest and california they might be able to take market share from Honda,Nissan, and Toyota. I think ford did there research this year and they figured out why the civics avalons and other foriegn cars sell so well and there starting to adapt. Its a slow process and theyll proably slow the marketshare loss but i think in awhile there going to start gaining back marketshare as ford starts recieving better public opinion. Since Bill ford took over i think hes been addressing a lot of the problems with fords products such a quality safety reliablity and styling. Ford has the safety now which its borrowed from Volvo and now there getting the reliablity from Mazda and the styling is coming from J Mays the former Designer of the Passat and other VW models. I really hope people have an open mind this year about ford and sorry that i got off topic
    hjody i gotta agree with you man im tired of "porters" using the same argument of reliablity when in fact its just brand loyalty. Brand loyalty goes two ways and i have to doubt some peoples arguments that somehow the F-150 is a bad car. Do you honestly think it would be the best selling car yet alone truck in america if it was that bad? Use some common sense please
    The F150 was just awarded with best truck interior...Congrats to Ford.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/insiders/0401/27/autos-46671.htm
  • hjodyhjody Member Posts: 5
    Motown, I think I might just buy some of that stock your referring to as "junk"...yeah it's extremely low...but the company has a good vision right now...
    That titanic is a lot more likely to be sunk than Ford...titans aren't exactly moving off the lots around here...BTW, since your such a Toyota fan...you should know that their quality has been decreasing as of late...
    And fortunately, wise consumers are not falling for it. I won't be surprised if Toyota becomes the # 1 automobile company within 10 years. Ford is just a one horse show. And no, Toyota quality is not slipping. I read what respected automotive magazine has to say and not some internet gripe site.
    im gonna laugh in 10 years when fords regained a good reputation and your eating your words. Reputations dont last forever Motown. The point isnt to gain marketshare immediately but to slowly erode toyotas and nissans marketshare and gain the respect of the customers. Fords trying to seperate itself from the other Big 3 and any smart consumer would shop around just because its foriegn doesnt mean its the best deal motown. Yet again use some common sense there man
    Any true business man would see a prize oppurtunity to buy ford stock. There closing american factories and getting rid of american workers who are overpayed anyway. That means cheaper vehicles while maintaing good quality and flexible manufacturing will help speed up delivery of new products to the people. Its alright though motown that you hate ford i can understand they havent been up to par but thats the hard part is convincing consumers like you that they got products that are for YOU
    I don't have any ill feelings toward Ford neither do I have any true affection toward Toyota. They are multinational company out there to make money. I just have better experience with Toyota than Ford. I have never owned the F-150 so I cannot pass any judgment. But I can compare the quality of a Ford Tempo to a Toyota Corolla. I owned the Tempo my brother the Corolla and there is no comparison in terms of quality and reliability
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    "And fortunately, wise consumers are not falling for it. I won't be surprised if Toyota becomes the # 1 automobile company within 10 years. Ford is just a one horse show. And no, Toyota quality is not slipping."

Guess what [insert foregin car company here] fans have been saying for decades?

Comparing Ford quality to the quality of a Ford Tempo? LMAO, that's clearly a very up to date and very portable examination of Ford quality.
    Ford stopped building those 10 years ago for heavens sakes.
    That's often the case I hear some consumer's say..."OH when I had a Pinto waaaayyy back when, it was horrendous" (rolling eyes).

Wouldn't this point be best addressed at a general topic named Ford's Current State of Business, than F150 vs. Titan thread?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    ...we have a variety of topics dealing with just how the different manufacturers are fairing onthe business side of things. Feel free to come on over and join the discussion there!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
This discussion has been closed.