Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan vs. Dodge Ram Hemi

bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
edited March 2014 in Dodge

Comments

• bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    back to back...and other than the acceleration being about equal, the dodge cant hold a candle!!
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    ...you'd ask such a speculative question since there are so very few people who have had the chance to see a Titan much less drive one. And I'm scratching my head as to why you answered your own question.

Right now there are more Nissan products in my immediate family than anything else. My '93 Sentra was the most perfect automobile that I had ever owned. If I were to need another small sedan I don't think I'd even bother to look at something else. It was such a real pleasure to own and operate. I also think that Nissan as a company is not adequately recognized for their engineering, and underrated in most other aspects as well, especially reliability and low cost of ownership.

Now I traded my 10-year old Sentra for a Dakota. I needed a truck, some were too big and others too small. Much to my surprise it has been an even better built vehicle than my Sentra. I would've liked to have bought another Nissan but the Frontier just didn't make the cut, mostly because of size. I drove almost every truck made. One other opinion that I have is that the Dodge RAM -- regardless of the engine -- is also vastly underrated. When my shopping was done there was no doubt that if I would have desired a fullsize truck the RAM would've been my first choice, followed closely by the F150.

I imagine the Titan is one heck of a vehicle. I've looked at the specifications and I'm mighty impressed. Maybe the Titan would be my first pick if the decision was made today. I don't know. But to say the RAM can't hold a candle makes me suspicious. All of the truck models sold today are so vastly improved and civilized in so many ways that its difficult to have such a commanding lead in any one category, much less as a whole truck. I might add that such an emphatic statement might lead some to think that it's the result of exaggeration and brand bias.

Hopefully I will have a chance to drive one soon. A good friend of mine is looking for a new truck and the Titan was the first one I mentioned that he should look at.

Regards,
    Dusty
    im just trying to spark a conversation that will be inevitable. ;-)
  • sardarzsardarz Member Posts: 11
    I am absolutely therilled after driving the Dodge Hemi yesterday,the performance is awsome.Actually I drove A 2003 RAM 2500 and 2004 RAM 1500 both with Hemi.
    The 2500 ran more solid and the exhaust rumble was noticeable on 2003.The 1500 had 20 inch wheels and rode much smoother...
    I am on verge of buying Dodge, but want to wait till I take a Titan for a spin... will share the experience tommorrow.

bowke28, How about yourself, since you initiated the discussion and also you work for makers of Titan, what are your thoughts about the comaprison between Ram and Titan. Actually I would like to hear your opinion....
    ill give facts AND opinion.

opinion:

the titan is MUCH more refined, and has a nicer ride. the exhaust rumble is unmatched by anything this side of a viper! the backseat in the crew cab is bigger and more comfortable, and the utilitrak bed system is unmatched by any other truck.

fact:

they put a crew cab hemi next to a crew cab titan, dropped a trailer with an altima on each, and drag raced them over about 1/8 mile. the titan won all 3 times by AT LEAST a truck length. they also switched drivers and everything. the difference is that, while the hemi is so powerful, its not USABLE power when it counts, which is the low end. of the titan's 379 ft. lbs. of tourque, 90% is available below 2500 RPM.
  • landru2landru2 Member Posts: 638
    that assumes that 1/8 mile drag races with loaded trailers are any kind of representation of real world truck use. Bowke, you do realize that Ford and Dodge do the same type of demos for their salespeople? And I guarantee that the Dodge salespeople leave thinking that Hemi is the top dog and the Ford people think the same way about the F-150.

I saw the F-150 beat the Hemi in the same type of trailer drag race by about a truck length. Does that mean that the Titan and F-150 would tie in such a race? That wouldn't be a bad showing for the "anemic" Ford.
    I was thrilled to drive the Titan today,no doubt it is more refined than Ram1500,build quality is very noticeable.
    The interior is well appointed and does not feel like the cab of a Kenmore/Frieghtliner like the Ram1500 does.
    The low end torque is very impressive,starting from a stop light and accelerating up feels pretty good.Having said that the intensity of fun levels off when it reaches say 80MPH.
    Where as on RAM HEMI if it is at say 75 to 80 MPH and you flatten the accelerator,you get the same kind of feeling as you would before a Boeing takes off from the runway...
    Titan does not have this...
    Now it maybe debateable whether one would need a sports car like performance from a full size pick up, for me the more performance the better.
    I would put it this way,Titan has a impressive motor which is powerful and will do all it is asked of to do,but HEMI motor is more fun to drive.
    Hemi motor in Titan would be the truck to dream of..
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    These are trucks! You want the "fun" level to happen way below 80 mph! To me, you just gave an endorsement to the Titan engine over the Hemi. I'll bet my truck will only go over 80 once in its life; that's for me just to check it out then I drive sane.
    congrats on your decision, BTW...

landru...the titan comes thru about 1/2 truck length. the difference between the dodge and ford and nissan is the fact that the gear ratios are all different, and the trannies are also different. nissan gets the same power to the rear wheels as ford with only a 3.36:1 gear ratio, where ford uses a 4.10. this is because of the 4 speed vs. 5 speed trannies. the difference in acceleration is the fact that nissan uses a drive-by-wire system that gets the engine revving a split second before the ford's engine does. the titan's win against the dodge is attributed to the same reason.
  • admastersadmasters Member Posts: 17
    Just a quick comment about speed...

Here in Atlanta, daily driving can consist of 80 - 90mph on the freeways or you get ran over....
    WOW! I would probably like that, but I might be worried about the boob drivers we have around here! You clock over 120km (75mph) around here and the fine is very expensive. You rarely see anyone going over 110-120 and if they do, they are usually kids. I guess all people from Atlanta aren't kids, are they? hehe. Just a little joke!
  • admastersadmasters Member Posts: 17
    No, not all kids. Mostly adults going 80-90mph late for work or in a hurry to get home after work and talking on cell phones in a hurry to get to the next traffic jam only to slam on the brakes...

Try to make up as much time as you can between traffic jams. LOL!
    one point that, surprisingly, hasnt been made is the fact that the titan's powertrain is STANDARD. there are no 'lesser' engines like every other truck.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    That's only because they haven't had the time to develop other suitablr power plants. It's the same as ford not offering a manual trans the first year out. They don't want to try too many new things all at one time. I believe the Tundra also only offered one engine. This is not a one size fits all market. That's why ford is king (of sales) right now. They have learned to offer many configurations and do it efficiently.
    they have a perfect power plant for a base work truck...the 3.5 V6 would be IDEAL...but they wanted an advantage.
    It's an advantage to offer less options to the buyer? No wonder Nissan has struggled over the years.
    that they offer the TOP equipment available for LESS money.
    Well, I guess they know what thier stuff is worth. Sorry I couldn't resist. I haven't checked out the Armada or the Titan yet and although I'm not in the market yet, I will check them out just to stay on top of the market. The local paper had a test drive printed last week on the armada (the test wasn't local) and the writer was a whole lot less than impressed with the interior quality (stitching, fit, and finish). I hope its an isolated case. In general, I like Nissan's stuff (had a Q45 for 8 years). I'd rather see them do well at it than toyota.
    >>the difference in acceleration is the fact that nissan uses a drive-by-wire system that gets the engine revving a split second before the ford's engine does. the titan's win against the dodge is attributed to the same reason.<<

The Dodge RAM with hemispherical engine is also a 5-speed transmission and drive-by-wire system.

Dusty
    How about weight? Maybe this is the factor. What is the weight of a CC 4x4 5.7 Hemi dodge? Got a feeling it is heavier than the Nissan, but I am not sure.

Also, although minor, the Nissan does have more torque. This could account for the better acceleration and strength from the start. And if the Dodge is much heavier, both combined would make the difference. HP means passing power and torque means starting/towing power - at least that is what my high school shop teacher use to say.

Just a thought.

Hey Bowke, it seems you know a lot about the F1550 and Nissan, but you better brush up on the Dodge...Dusty got ya! hehe.
    has drive by wire also.

An hour of detention bowke.
    Bowke, if you are wrong about the F150, 1 hour doesn't seem like enough! You owe the whole board a drink for your miscue! I'll take mine only in Canadian beer! i will be in Florida in Feb, you can ship it there! :-)
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I believe the Titan, because of its all-alloy engine, has the lowest curb weight of all the full-size 1/2 ton pickups, which is good.

Bob
    sorry, the F150 DOES NOT have DBW. i am also a ford certified salesperson. we have both franchises.

im not sure about the dodge, but the nissan training people told everyone it didnt.
    It took about 20 seconds for me to find the reference to drive-by-wire on the www.fordvehicles.com site.

So much for your certification. (you brought it up)

I wonder what else the Nissan trainers were wrong about?
    I don't know about all the Dodge truck engines but the new Hemi 5.7 has the drive by wire. I haven't tried one yet but I've heard that it gives a bit of a delayed reation at ther very begining. I've also heard others say that after they had the computer reflashed that that disappeared.
    Bowke et al..
    Here is a question.. everyone feel free to chime in.
    The Titan has a towing package called "Big tow package" which increases the std towing capacity from 7400 Lbs to 9500 Lbs of a SE Crew cab.
    The big tow package does it by
    "Lower final gear ratio (3.36:1)**; similar to a four-speed automatic 4.10:1"
    Thats how its described on Nissan site.
    The question...
    Does it mean the final gear ratio for big tow package is 3.36:1 or 4.10:1 ?
    If it is 3.36:1 what is the gear ratio without the "Big tow package".

It would make sense if the ratio is 3.36:1 without big tow package and 4.1:1 should be with big tow package, would that be the right statement?.

The reason I ask is, if the axle ratio is 3.36:1 it will result in lower drive shaft rotations for every axle rotation resulting in lower engine rpm and in better fuel economy, longer engine life and quieter running. But it won't be good for quick acceleration, climbing grades, carrying loads or pulling a trailer.
    On the other hand if its 4.1:1,it is better for quick acceleration, climbing grades, carrying loads or pulling a trailer. However, it results in lower fuel economy and is noisier when running at high vehicle speeds.
    Folks the last two paragraphs of my previous post were copied from the Dodge site, where they explained the mechanisms of the various axle ratio's...not sure if these are accurate or not..
    Okay, I think what you are saying is that the 3:36 axle ratio is used on the Titan whether it has the "Big Tow' or little tow package. Is that correct?

If so, I think what the information is saying is that the increased ratio is being made up in the transmission on the Titan. It most certainly could be done that way, but it would be a departure from what's normally done in the industry.

In the case of the Dodge, the 45RE and 545RFE transmissions will have the same gear ratios regardless of the axle ratio.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    >>>In the case of the Dodge, the 45RE and 545RFE transmissions will have the same gear ratios regardless of the axle ratio.<<<

My apologies. In the above the the two transmissions used with the Dodge RAM are 45RFE and 545RFE. In addition, only the 545RFE version automatic transmission is available with the Hemi.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    The Dodge Ram is the best looking Truck on the market, in my humble opinion. It looks tough, cool, rugged, and classy. It has the market cornered on exterior looks. My issue is the back seat. When I sat in the Ram, the back seat did not feel like it had much of a setback angle. It felt straight and stiff, there was no recline. A good example of a proper setback angle is the new Toyota Tundra Double Cab, the rear seat is actually comfortable with a nice recline (setback angle).

I will go back to the Dodge dealer and sit in a Ram Quad Cab again to give it another try. If the Dodge had a nice back seat with a proper setback angle, it would be very hard to beat.
    Two points to discuss furthur..
    1.Lets assume
    "3:36 axle ratio is used on the Titan whether it has the "Big Tow' or little tow package" Is it possible if yes,how will the incresed ratio be made up in transmission.?

2.According to Nissan site the The big tow package increases the towing capacity because it has "Lower final gear ratio (3.36:1)**; similar to a four-speed automatic 4.10:1"
    What I am interpretting from the NISSAN SITE's above statement is,the big tow package has a lower ratio of 3.36:1 and does what a higher ratio like 4.10 will do i,e tow MORE.If thats the case would'nt the little tow package have even a lower ratio than 3.36..?That does'nt seem right does it?

Regards.
    Folks here is what I found on Nissan site regarding gear ratio's...it seems very different than what the Detriot truck builders do..

-Titans little tow package which is standard tows 7400Lbs and has final gear ratio of 2.94:1 (similar to a four-speed automatic 3.73)

-The Big tow package which tows 9500 Lbs has a final gear ratio of 3.357:1 (similar to a four-speed automatic 4.10:1)

So what I am comprehending is if the ratio's are increased on Titan to Follow the Detriot built truck i,e 3.73 or 3.92 for lower towing and 4.10 for higher towing..Titan would have more capabilities ?
    since nissan has a 5-speed auto instead of a 4-speed, then the 2.94 ratio puts the same amount of power to the ground as the ford with a 4 speed and the 3.55. the 3.36 for nissan also puts the same amount of power to the ground as the 4.10 in the ford.

sardaz...

would the nissan gain capabilities with a 3.55 or 3.73 or 4.1? yes...but you would get about a mile to every 10 gallons of gas...lol.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    That gearing info is in the Titan brochure, IIRC.

Bob
    Hmmm, I'm not sure any of the above answers Sardarz question. I think the previous message regarding the 3.36 versus the 4.10 is confusing. It would be the 4.10 ratio that provides more power for loads. Is the rear axle ratio 3.36 in the Titan? Or something else?

What we really need to know in order to understand the way it's been described is the rear axle ratio and the transmission gear ratios for both the "Big Tow" and "Little Tow" versions.

In the Hemi RAM there are two rear axle ratios available: 3.55:1 and 4.10:1. The gear ratios with the 545RFE automatic transmission for the Hemi are as follows:

1st gear = 3.00:1
    2nd gear = 1.67:1 (1)
    2nd gear = 1.50:1 (2)
    3rd gear = 1.00:1
    4th gear = 0.75:1
    5th gear = 0.67:1
    rev gear = 3.00:1

Nissan could have most certainly used a lower numerical axle ratio and made up the drive ratio difference in the transmission gearing. One of the reasons why most manufacturers use a higher numerical axle ratio in trucks, besides increasing/decreasing vehicle load capability and the comensurate power band -- is to reduce gear loading. It also offers a mechanical advantage for increasing the available torque to the ground through the rear wheels. In addition when using higher ratios in the transmission it reduces gear noise which is more easily heard in the cab because the of the proximity of the transmission (its harder to isolate transmission noise than rear axle noise).

So Bowke, what are the rear axle and transmission ratios on the new Titan?

Regards,
    Dusty
    but the axle ratios are 2.94 without the big tow, and 3.36 with the big tow.

again, the power on the ground is an equation as follows: torque X average tranny ratio X tranny speeds X axle ratio.

the bottom line comes out almost identical with the ford and nissan, since the ford has only 4 speeds. i would assume the dodge uses higher ratios in the gearing, since the power on the ground is also almost identical.
    Would your dealership entertain a offer for Titan thru Nissan's VPP program?
    Here in Houston my local dealer is telling me to wait for a while before they can sell one to me at VPP (a month)...I just want to see if I am gonna get the same response form every dealer i,e WAIT FOR A WHILE.. or should I be calling around to other dealers around here to see who volunteers for VPP..
    we wont know till we actually get a truck...the VPP price, like ford's a/x/z plan price, will be on the invoices. if nissan allows it, we have no problem.
    This ones for you Bowke,as a salesman you should know the answer or where to get the figures. I'll take another beer!

1st .... 3.827
    2nd .... 2.368
    3rd .... 1.520
    4th .....1.000
    5th .....0.834
    reverse 2.613
    Final Drive 2.937/3.357(tow & off road package)

They are all higher than the Dodge 5 speed which shows why the rear-end can be lower in the Titan.

As to the noise thing - no person who has reviewed the Titan has ever mentioned a noise issue so that is probably old thinking - that is technology has solved that problem.
    we dont have titans, nor do we have the tech. spec. books, nor do we have the brochures. there is nowhere to find this info. here.

ill buy you a labatts anyway, ay! ;-)
    "we dont have titans, nor do we have the tech. spec. books, nor do we have the brochures. there is nowhere to find this info. here. "

FYI, neither do I have access to any of that stuff. Takes a little research. I should be a Nissan Salesman!! Go to Nissannews.com and check out the specs there. I told another guy how to find them. I printed the specs and it was 12 pages long. You should print them, then you will have more answers for your prospects.

pretty easy, eh?
    most of my prospects, however, are toyota tundra drivers who wouldnt know truck numbers anyway...lol.
    >>>As to the noise thing - no person who has reviewed the Titan has ever mentioned a noise issue so that is probably old thinking - that is technology has solved that problem.
    <<<

I wasn't implying that the Titan or any other truck has a noisy transmission. Even with today's technology, it's just more difficult to reduce and isolate noise from the transmission than it is the rear differential.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Tundra drivers? Do you really think so?

Tundra has never been accepted as a true full sized truck by most posters here, however; The amount of interest generated here in these last few weeks indicates the opposite is true for Nissan Titan.
     Yes, there's some skepticism, as there should be, but there aren't scores of us laughing like we did when Toyota announced thier "full sized" T100 or Tundra.

In fact, the only thread our host deleted was comparing Titan to Tundra.

Your "prospects" are right here.

kip
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    I wonder why the host killed Titan vs Tundra, but left Titan vs each of the other three?

Harry
  • triattriat Member Posts: 121
    Tundra owners by the fact they're interested in 7/8ths truck aren't bothered by the sophomoric chest beating the big 3 do in bragging about whatever particular slight advantage their truck advertises.

Most Tundra owners are interested in Tundra for reliability, quality, and Toyota service & reputation.

For most(>50%) of truck owners our trucks are for city errands. Big loads or pulling a several thousand pound trailer are infrequent occasions.

Tundra fills a niche, just like smaller compact trucks.
    It could be because Tundra drivers often lack the ability to discern the difference a working truck and "The best truck on the market"

I had a co-worker who insisted his Tundra was almost a one ton because it had a gross payload of over 1800 lb.

We've gone over the Tundra debate ad nausium. There's a large majority of truck owners that don't consider Tundra a viable option and you don't hear them saying much against the Titan. Just speculation about it's merits.

kip
This discussion has been closed.