Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• spring2spring2 Member Posts: 4
    I tried. It helps a little on the passenger side. But overall the effect is minimal.
  • rjnrjn Member Posts: 8
    Are high intensity headlights worth the cost. If so, where have you noticed performance differences? Thanks.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    and, yes, especially as you grow older, say 55 or more.
  • babysnowbabysnow Member Posts: 48
    i love how much brighter the high intensity headlights are. to give you an idea of how much brighter, i recently drove my brother-in-law's old car following my husband home. his high intensity headlights cast a circle so bright that i could not see my own headlights. the abrupt ending of the high intensity headlights take some adjusting to though.
  • acsacs Member Posts: 1
    I also had problems synchronizing with the Genie GXL9500, which has 12 dip switches instead of a "learning button", as I was using a universal remote. When I used the Genie remote it worked!. This was suggested by HomeLink 800-355-3515.
  • silverntsilvernt Member Posts: 4
    Anyone else experienced any problems with squeaky drivers seat? I took 05RX330 (16K miles) in for warped rotors and squeaky seat. Service couldn't duplicate the problem even though I mentioned it was worse when going around turns. Another trip to service center with me driving and service heard the problem. Now I am told they have to replace the seat and the seat is on back order. I did a search here and only found one post that seemed related to thisissue.

Also, read that warped rotors were with 04 330, didn't know this was an issue with 05. Dealer has replaced rotors and brakes.
  • iquiqu Member Posts: 4
    Okay, I've spent the last two days reading the postings on problems and solutions AFTER buying a RX330 w/ NAV, HIDs, for 41K. Was it a BIG MISTAKE???
  • silverntsilvernt Member Posts: 4
    IQU
    I previously had an 02 RX300 that had a leaking main seal and other problems and decided to get something new before something really bad happened. (it was out of warranty). When I did all my research, I concluded that the 05 RX330, even with its alleged "flaws", was still the best choice for me. I thought I could find something "better" but they all have problems. When I bought the 05, I consulted this forum so I knew what I could potentially encounter. I have never had many of the issues listed here. I love my RX330 and would not trade it for anything. The squeaky seat was something that I was not expecting, therefore the reason for my post. Enjoy your new ride!
  • fun6889fun6889 Member Posts: 27
    I am looking to get a new SUV and it is between RX330 and MDX. I like the look and feel for the RX330, but for $3000+ more on RX330 and all the problems it seems to be, is it still worth the chance? Someone out there plz give me your view!

Anyone have good things to say about the RX that I should go for the RX? Many thanks in advance!!
    Silvernt,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. You're right, all cars have their problems. I really thought I had made the right decision. However, after reading some of the problems posted on Edmunds I had some second thoughts. I'll sleep better tonight. Thanks again.

IQU

P.S. We take delivery in two weeks
    i have a 04rx that i love. the only problem i've ever had with it was the wind noise problem that was resolved. the only other car i would consider trading in for would be the hybrid rx (which is almost my definition of a perfect car. the only thing lacking is the 04rx's air suspension system). i have not read the mdx forums but i've had two acquaintances (one who owned a honda, the other an acura) who both had their pistons break down shortly after 3yrs. i crossed out the acura tl off my husband's potential new car list after learning that. maybe it was coincidence but i thought with something as serious as a car better not to take a chance. hope this helps. btw, when i was car shopping, i also considered the mdx. i decided against it because i didn't need something that seated 7 and i didn't like the interior design.
  • fun6889fun6889 Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for your input. I personaly like RX330 better (the look and the finish). But with all the posting I saw. My heart drops. Spending 40k on a car, yes it is not like I will go broke on it, but it is still pretty serious $$ spending on the car. And most likely I won't be looking for a new one soon after this. And I do put a lot of miles on the car, so I am looking for somehting I can keep for a long while, and I won't hite myself on it for the next 5 / 6 years. Anyone else has suggestion or Golden Advice for me? or am I worrying too much about the RX troubles/problems?
  • briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    I have a 2005 RX 330, after having a 2002 RX 300 and a 1999 RX 300...great cars! You are worrying too much about possible problems!
    like another poster mentioned somewhere earlier in this forum, all cars have possible problems. i was also worried about buying an rx after reading this forum. however, after reading other problem forums, i decided the rx problems were of a less serious nature than all the other suvs i was considering. i think you will find yourself happy with the rx. i know i love mine.
  • aaatttaaattt Member Posts: 22
    Yes! I post that "all cars have possible problems"
    Like u said "(one who owned a honda, the other an acura) who both had their pistons break down shortly after 3yrs.

The piston break down is VERY VERY VERY serious problem!

I still waiting my RX330
    what special features did u order that you are still waiting for the rx?
    Color and options: Navy w/ ivory interion, NAV, Prem+.
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    Does any one has problem with the headlight water condense ? My car
    (2004/rx330) just start having condense inside the driver's side headlight while driving under the rain. My close-up visual inspection the headlight, there is no crack or stone chip on the headlight. Already contact dealer about this problem. This model year seem to have more problem than the rx300, The tranmission, the daskboard rattle and now the water condense headlight.
  • easyrider6easyrider6 Member Posts: 2
    You know, I read all these nitpicking complaints about the best cars every made, regardless of price...we have an 05 RX330 and it is a wonderful car in every respect..at about $41 k with great equipment, you cannot go wrong. of the milllions of cars sold, you read a couple of disgruntled owners on this forum and right away you believe it ...I say dont believe it..it is a great car..you will enjoy it...we have owned 5 Lexus's..since 93..the last two 6 years each, neither one of them ever had a repair..you just cant beat it...I also own an 02 SC430 at the present time, and had a couple of problems with it which have been fixed..it is a great great car..plan on getting another one...I have owned them all in the past, Rolls..a couple times...lots of Mercedes (for 20 years)..I am 80 am a former car dealer for 32 years and know what I am talking about....dont listen to the naysayers who knock Lexus...it aint true!! IRV
  • tcheungtcheung Member Posts: 6
    The sound system on the 05 RX330 I recently purchased lacks base and sounds flat when compared to my 02 ES or the 00 RX300 I previously own. Dealer said this is "normal". Anyone else out there experience the same?
    Irv,

You made my day!!
  • chicagocarchicagocar Member Posts: 11
    After having 5000 miles service on my year 2005 RX330, the performance sucks. The car drive has become heavy. The service guy told me that they updated the computer with TC005-03.

Two mechanics drove the car and told me everything is fine, but there is definitely something changed. Please help with your experience…

Regards,
    :confuse:
    Headlight is replaced with a new one. The ratlle noise in the rear, tech guy can't pin point exact location where the noise come from. Remove the cargo cover and first aids kit, but creeking noise still exist.
    Problem so far for this rx330: Tranmission (up shift); Daskboard rattle; Winsheld crack (faulty design); Headlight condense; and Rear rattle noise. Don't know what will be next...
  • easyrider6easyrider6 Member Posts: 2
    and I thank you for the kind words....Irv
  • samw_97samw_97 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my Bluetooth phone. Did you find a solution to the problem?
  • gvlnggvlng Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone had experience with Lexus of Tucson? Since they are the only Lexus dealer here I wonder how they treat you service wise. Any help is appreciated.
  • fhfcheffhfchef Member Posts: 9
    Overall the car is great but if you enjoy driving a responsive car then the 05Rx330 is not for you. I hate the driving experience because of all the jerkiness of the transmission that is almost embarrassing when driving with passengers. I have Customer Service calling me regularly to try and help this problem but unless they get me out of this car, I don't see any solution in sight. I hate to be a Negative Nancy but the Drive by Wire system stinks and I drive rental cars all over this country and have never seen anything like it. It is a shame because the car is great otherwise.
  • yyyyyy Member Posts: 22
    Did you expereince the transmission problem from day one? If not, how many miles the car has when you start to notice the said problem? Just want to know if the problem is slowly developed :-(
    I didn't notice much of a transmission problem, until during 5000 miles service ( 2005 RX330) the service guy updated some program etc - he told me that they updated the computer with TSB - TC005-03. After this the performance sucks, more jerk during driving and car drive has become heavy.

Not sure anyone on the fourm has the same problem.

Cheers
  • nldsednldsed Member Posts: 8
    Hi all --

After reading this forum for a year, let me begin by saying I love my 04 RX330! If anyone is considering an RX, GO FOR IT!

I've seen some posts about a center console noise. I am getting a random "knocking noise" from the console under my shifter. It almost sounds as if I had something in the little storage bin on the floor hitting the side of the compartment ... but it's empty. Is this the noise that's been referred to?. I've mentioned it to my service advisor but they say they have not had any complaints of this type. I will be taking it in to get it checked but if this is something under a TSB I'd like to mention it to them.

Thanks a bunch!

Nancy
  • yyyyyy Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the info. I'd assume the latest RX has this software upgrade already. I got chance to drive my wife's RX for a few trips, both highway and city. I did not notice any issue of the transmission (The car is about ~1000 miles only). I do switch off the overdrive in certain road condition. I guess it is too late to revisit the buying decision. Just hope toyota fix the problem. As for the service, my take is if it is not broken, don't fix it, TSB or not. Cheers,
    I was told that the new software upgrade was released around 25th May.

Thanks
  • dsandifedsandife Member Posts: 2
    Ther is a TSB -technical service bulletin for a rattle. It is B0010-03. The spoiler creaks against the car body in high ambient temperatures. This is supposed to occur only on early models of the RX330.
  • bennbbennb Member Posts: 143
    I agree that the sound system isn't the greatest ... especially in the rear seat ... but maybe tweek your setting a little. I generally drop the mid to -1 and bass and treble up to +3
    Thanks dsandlife for the TBS information. I has an appointment with dealer to bring it back on 8/22. Hope they can fix the problem.
  • trainman2343trainman2343 Member Posts: 22
    I agree with you the 2004 is noisy and rides rougher than the 2005. Also the engine is a lot noiser than the 2005. We bought the 2005 and really Love everything about it. There is still some air noise from the outside. The dealer told me there is an update for the rubber arround the door. Also I did buy the Thunder Cloud Limited Edition RX and it is from Japan. The Hybrid is also from Japan. The other RX 330s are made in Canada.I suggest you check your tires out at a Michelin Dealer to check for a problem, as I even put them on my Toyota Tundra to lessen the road noise that it had. We owned a 2000 and a 2002 Rx300 before this change into the 05, and noticed the 2005 to be a much better vehicle.
  • katherine6katherine6 Member Posts: 61
    trainman,

you mentioned that your dealer said there's an update for the rubber arround the door. Do you have any more info? Or can you post the name of the dealer? I have all the noises: wind, road and engine in my '04 rx and reducing any one of them would be helpfull.

Also, a tsib on the wind noise was mentioned on this forum a while back but I haven't seen anything recently, or in the "search" function here that sheds more light on the matter. Anyone know more about it?

Thanks in advance,

Katherine
    I just had "data dots" installed on my HID head lamps as a theft deterrent. As I understand it, the dots are a registration system that should make it more difficult for thieves to sell the head lamps. There is a sticker attached to each head lamp and on each side of the wind shield announcing the presence of the dots. I haven't seen the car yet, I'll pick it up this afternoon. Does anyone think these "data dots" will actually deter thieves? Or their "customers?"

:confuse:

Katherine
  • mikenjmikenj Member Posts: 25
    How can one tell if the vehicle is made in Japan or Canada? My VIN starts with J but my sales guy said it was made in Canada. Since mine is the Thundercloud edition maybe he was mistaken???
    Were these installed free of charge? What part of the country are you in? My uncle had his lights stolen and the dealer put data dots on the new ones free of charge.
    I received a notice from Lexus today advising me that Lexus had received reports of high numbers of thefts of headlights in some major metropolitan areas of the Norteastern US. They specifically mentioned NY and NJ. as areas where "criminals" have targeted headlights.

The letter advised me to make an appointment with any Lexus dealer to have the DataDots installed before Dec. 31, 2006, Free-of Charge on a one-time basis. I had already asked for the DataDots because my car was in for more work on rattles. I got the letter on my way to pick it up.

For those of you who don't know, Lexus fills your tank with gas whenever they recall your car. Mine was recalled for the brake relay sensor (or something like that) and I took it in just after filling the tank - I didn't know! And now I put $36.00 of gas in the tank before I took it in for more rattle service and asked for the DataDots. Then I got the letter! The dealer said "We filled your tank."

I'm impressed that Lexus is handling DataDots like a recall. I live in the Boston area. My service guy owns an RX and lives in a suburb. He won't bring his RX into the city. He says the repairs run $6 -$7k when thieves bend the bumper and the fenders getting to the headlights.

Katherine
    I don't know if it's just me and my wife but we tried to use the voice activated function but the Navi does not understand any of our comands. Simple commands like Gas Station or ATM gets us AM radio station or some other crazy response. Is it just us???
    Here is the problem & fix from the dealer: Exact word from service invoice
    "The cause is because of the rear hatch door needed to be modified"
    "Took out rear hatch door and panels and took down the head liner and modified the rear door holes and then reinstalled.Road tested and rechecked for the rattle. OK now."
  • basimmakbasimmak Member Posts: 3
    I have a2004 RX 33o, with 19 K miles on it, last while my wife was driving the car, she noticed that the car was not handling properly, she though it was a flat tire, stopped and took a look, however tires looked normal! Got on the highway was doing about 70 M/hour but could practically feel every bump on the road could extremely, finally got off the highway another driver waved her down explained to her that the car was tilted to the passenger side, and he could clearly see the shock absorbers on the left side being much higher up. plus apparently moving in an unstable fashion! She stopped the car, we had it towed to the local dealer, when you look at the car from the rear the right side is lower to the ground by at least a foot from the right side! The dealer told me that the HEIGHT SENSOR had malfunctioned, because water got into it. My concern absolutely no warning indicator ever came on! the car became unstable, plus the idea that water gets into a sensor and makes it malfunction in a one year old car makes no sense!

Again this is the RX 330 with the air-suspension system it is a Japan build, I am wondering if any of you have had a similar problem. As for the rattling noise yes I have been to the dealer several times for that stuff too---Oh well so much for the pursuit of perfection---Thank you Lexus!!!!
    Means going just slow enough to NEVER catch up.....

So they changed it to:

The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection.
  • jay_man2jay_man2 Member Posts: 5
    It's not just you. But the NAV does seem to prefer higher pitched voices, which I don't have.
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    Has anyone found the part number and cost for the black molding in the roof channel. Is there a piece that fills the gap, or do the original pieces need to be removed and replace by a single replacement piece?
  • joantjoant Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased an 2005 Rx330 3 weeks ago. There seems to be a discrepancy between the amount of miles on a tank of gas that the system says versus what I thought I'd get (19.2 gallon tank x approx. 20/gal = 380). After refueling the system says the mileage will be approx. 280. Also, I drove the car to near empty and it only filled up with 17.3 gallons (not 19.2). Is the "reserve" 2 gallons? Anyone else experience this problem?
    I have driven my RX300 so far beyond the point where the low fuel indication came on that I fully deserved to run out of fuel. Yet it only took ~17 gallons to refill. The DTE is based on a running average MPG of the last few tanks of fuel. Seems your previous owner's long term average was 280/19.2 = ~15 MPG.