Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• plym_rockplym_rock Member Posts: 17
    I have a RX 330 that has less than 1,000 miles. On two occassions I have almost gotten into accidents due to the fact that the brake and accelaration pedal does not have a cover over all the wiring and exposed parts. My foot was on the brake when the tip of my shoe got caught on the steering column when slowing down while making a turn. I went to the delaer with this problem to make sure the car did not have a missing cover that is supposed to be put on over both pedals. No cover belongs there they told me. Has anyone else come across this problem??? My other car - B9 Tribeca has a cover and is so much more nicely made in that regard! Buyer beware this is a DANGER!!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Have you heard why Willy Nelson wears tenny-runners instead of cowboy boots....??

He doesn't want to be mistaken for a trucker.
  • gardencar1gardencar1 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone had this happen to them? Don't know when this started to happen, maybe about a month or so ago. It really caught my attention this weekend, coming back from a trip. I put on the brakes on the freeway, with firm, even, pressure and got considerable vibration from the steering wheel. Was I going too fast for the brakes? Seems doubtful. Are brake rotors warped? Improbable, since the vehicle is an '04 model with only 25,000 miles. Could it have been ABS? Not likely, since I didn't slam on the brakes. Could this be normal? Impossible, since even my Ford Explorer didn't shimmy like this! Good golly, Miss Molly! What is going on here? :surprise:
  • pbcpbc Member Posts: 44
    I recall seeing somewhere that there was a brake issue with the '04 Lexus. Out of curiousity, when the pads and calipers were replaced to fix the issue, were just the fronts replaced or both the front and rear?

Thanks!
    Possibly EBD, Electronic Brakefore Distribution. Or even VSC if your were trying to turn during braking or the rear was tending to skid, fishtail. Since EBD is more prevalent front to rear more likely it was VSC.
  • nwtnwt Member Posts: 10
    Because my Passat has had to be at the dealer a number of times and because VW would not provide me with a loaner or free rental car, I asked Lexus if I would be provided with a Lexus loaner or some rental car if my Lexus had to go to the dealer for repair or scheduled maintenance. The internet salesman quoted me a lease and wrote "no loaner included". Yet other owners tell me they do get a loaner. Also, they valet a colleague of mine's Lexus for scheduled maintenance (to and from his door). I am NOT leasing a 2007 RX if Lexus will not provide a loaner when my car is in the shop.
  • nwtnwt Member Posts: 10
    I have gone in person to one dealership and emailed two others in an attempt to lease a RX 350. The salesmen have not welcomed me or been pleasant and professional. Their responses to my email inquiries have been "when can you come in?". Even though I stated I wanted a lease quote over email and even though I'm dealing with the "internet sales manager". I was very specfic about which car I wanted, miles per year, cap reduction, my high credit scores, etc. These old men -- and yes every single sales agent I have dealt with at these dealerships has been a middle-aged or senior, white male -- are gruff and have attitude. One salesman kept referring to "the [non-permissible content removed]" -- i.e. "the [non-permissible content removed] build a reliable car" (although he did state that he would never drive anything but a Porsche). I finally said to him "you really got to stop calling them that".
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The car biz is slow to change and adapt it seems. I don't think dealers are comfortable with educated consumers knowing more about the deal than they do!

A letter to the owner may help change some attitudes, especially the inappropriate comments.

For another side of the coin, see Confessions of a Car Salesman.

And you may enjoy CONSIDERATE Salespeople & CONSIDERATE Buyers or some of the other discussions over in Smart Shopper.

Steve, Host
    Hey, west. Thanks for the reply, but the vibration happened after only slight pressure on the brake pedal. Doubt if there was any slipping and certainly no fishtailing or turning. Doesn't happen at 60mph or 65mph, only at 70mph and above.
  • hyiuhyiu Member Posts: 18
    Hi gardencar1:

It happened to me before also, but not on the lexus, on my other car (Legend). It only happens when I drive fast (high 60s to around high 70s...) it'll feel kinda shakey...
    if I speed more than 80, it will actually feel better...

I would suggest you check the tires... maybe the tires are not rotating perfectly... or the tire treads weared un-evenly... tire pressure not right, alignment not right...
    or simply, wheel not round.... wheel balance is off....

quite a few things can do this... maybe you hit a big bump / pothole... hit the curb when parking and rubbed the tires... anything big or small can mess the wheel or alignment...

and usually it won't show when you're travelling slow (relatively speaking...) but at high speed, that's when everything is amplified, and you can feel the difference...

hope it helps...
  • btill1btill1 Member Posts: 69
    My wifes 04 RX had this same problem I would bet your rotors are warped.
    Thanks west, hyiu and btill1. I will call my Lexus technician and post how this issue is resolved.
  • emart4emart4 Member Posts: 1
    I had to replace tires at 20,500 miles , sure was disappointed, good ride, but not that good. My tires were Goodyear also. Anyone know what to do? Lexus 04, RX330.
  • fulflapsfulflaps Member Posts: 3
    I get the bright lights back at me all of the time.Mainly when I am in the left turn lane and the other car is in the oncoming left turn lane.They think my brights are on untill I flash my brights back at them.
    Thats why they call them high intensity.
    Just went through the same thing.The Goodyears are composed of softer rubber(grips better on dry surfaces) which tends to wear quicker.Some wear is also based on your driving habbits as well as the road surface material such as the rough coral rock roads here in Florida.
    I did extensive research and ended up putting on Michelin
    energy MXV4s8 and have noticed a far more superior ride.
    They are also less expensive than Goodyear.

http://michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinEnergyMXV4S8.html?source=TCHP

Good Luck
    I had the same problem but instead of doing the TSB I experimented and found out that if you press the pedal farther and quicker the downshift response time is quiker.
  • janedough569janedough569 Member Posts: 2
    This is a known problem and there is a "BULLETIN" on it. Call the dealer, you need the roters, brake pads and calipers replaced!!!

Nancy
  • janedough569janedough569 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any ideas about tires that are a good replacement for the RX? Everyone says there are no tires that will get more than 35k miles on them for this car!
    Please help!
    When I removed my original cross terrains from my 2001 AWD at ~40,000 miles they still had 50% wear left. Installed Bridgestone Turanzas, summer only, for comfort and quietness.
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    I have gotten much more mileage out of my tires and gas tank by increasing the tire pressure by 4-6 psi over the car manufacturer's pressure--but not exceeding the tire manufacturer's posted max pressure. Because the tires are belted, I have never seen center wear patterns caused by over inflation. Shoulder wear is minimized and handling is crisper. Another bonus is that RWD E320 and LS430 handle better in strong crosswinds.
  • md52md52 Member Posts: 20
    Hey Nancy...

...do you (or anyone!) know the specific Bulletin number regarding the warped rotor replacement?? I am asking because I had the same problem and my dealer told me that there was no "campaign" for this problem so he resurfaced the rotors and left my original calipers and pads on the vehicle. If there is a bulletin I will go back and get it done the right way.

Thanks for your post..
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    This maybe the one:

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: NHTSA Bulletin Number: 00404

MFG Bulletin Date: 20040618

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC

Details: FRONT BRAKE VIBRATION. *MJ

Date added to datbase: 20040729
    Hey my3rdrx

Thanks for the quick post...I tried searching the NHTSA site with the Bulletin number 00404 but a message came back that no Bulletin matched the number. From the date (200406 which looks like 20April06) it looks pretty recent and the NHTSA TSB site doesnt list this fix.

If you have any additional info it would be greatly appreciated...I want to go back with a specific Bulletin/TSB printed-out otherwise they will just deny that a fix exists..thnks again..
    I don't know what the numbers mean but I found the TSB summary in the Edmunds Maintenance Guide (currently number 24 in our list).

We just have summary info but it gives this number (here's the direct link but it may not work?):

NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10008391

Full text is sometimes available at the NHTSA site or you can buy it at Alldata.com. Or ask your service writer for a copy.

Steve, Host
    Steve

..thanks; I didnt realize that the 00404 number was the actual TSB number. I found it; I was surprized that it was from so long ago (June04). There isnt much of a description, though it does mention brakes/vibration

I'll ask my service rep to print-out the TSB and we'll see how it goes from there.

This is a great site...
  • lovemyrxlovemyrx Member Posts: 1
    I am on my second RX and every time I take my car to Thompson Lexus in Doylestown, PA I am given a loaner car. My car was recently up there for inspection and they noticed a problem with the radiator which was covered under warranty. I was told to keep the loaner car until they obtained the necessary parts and they would contact me when the work was completed. I don't know what Lexus dealer you are going to but I cannot say enough good things about this dealership-they are the best! My car also comes back to me washed when I pick it up. If I wanted to they would also pick my car up and deliver it for my home or office-hope this helps!!
  • sxn179sxn179 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know why the dealer told you that. I have a 2005 RX330 leased through Prestige Lexus in NJ and have never had a problem with getting a loaner. Actually the complete opposite. I live about 40 miles from the dealership (its the closest!!) and they're great at understanding my distance and work with me to make it convenient for me and within reason.

Of course, its not like service is cheap that they aren't making up the cost, but I have not been denied it yet.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    Another bonus is that RWD E320 and LS430 handle better in strong crosswinds.

I'm curious ... does the RX330 have some high speed stability problems? I have a GX470 that's awful at high speeds ... any breeze at all > 70 mph and I'm constantly fighting for stability. My old Grand Cherokee was MUCH more stable. Bart :mad:
  • sltpigsflysltpigsfly Member Posts: 16
    I have an RX330 with 30,000 miles. At about 10,000 miles the car developed a metallic clunking noise from the area behind the brake and accelerator pedals. After many trips to the dealer, I finally was able to replicate the noise. Lexus had its engineer look at the car and they have advised me that this is a "normal" noise due to heat expansion and cannot be fixed. Neither my previous RX nor any of the service RXes I've driven have had this problem. It gets worse when warm and clunks repeatedly and annoyingly when driving or when stopped, anytime the pedals are being pushed. Am I getting the straight story? Can this problem be fixed?
  • corlt1corlt1 Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2004 RX330 with AWD. The loaners that we get are the FWD models and I have noticed that the stability on the highway, especially in strong cross winds is not as good as the heavier AWD models. My dealer (Lexus of Kendall, FL.) always has a loaner ready, but you have to make an appointment for regular service, as they need to keep on hand loaners for unexpected service.

The dealer has replaced my front rotors (under waranty)for the steering wheel shimmy and recently replaced my radiator under and extended the waranty for the raditor to around 90k miles. There was nothing wrong with the radiator, but the dealer said that some could be questionable in the future, so why not replace it now.

My brakes recently had that metallic clunk coming from the floor near the pedals and I also noticed that the pedal was slightly lower on the 1st pump and got higher on the 2nd press of the brakes. The dealer bleed the air from the brakes and BOTH problems disappeared. Hope this helps.
  • sltpigsflysltpigsfly Member Posts: 16
    My car is also an RX330 with AWD. The service loaners in my area are RX330 with AWD as well. The dealer has had my car for a couple of weeks now and claims that they can't reproduce the clunking noise. There is a separate popping noise that they indicate is from heat expansion in the dash area. They weren't able to verify that noise either until the last time that I took it in for service. The service manager says that all RX330s do this, but I've had my car in at least 10 times for both of these sounds, and none of the service loaners have made either noise! I also have many friends who have the RX330 or the Toyota Highlander (the dash appears identical in the 2004 models) and none of them have this problem. I am very frustrated about this problem, but will suggest your fix to them. Otherwise, I'm ready to throw in the towel and get another car!
  • dandgdandg Member Posts: 91
    Hi all,
    have not posted since we bought our 04 AWDRX 330 but have checked in several times to keep up.It now has 45K on it
    Just recently had Radiator replaced (leaked-its a good idea to let them do it if suggested as the new ones is most certianly a different/improved type-we also recieved a $50.00 gas card from Lexus for trouble).They did brake booster and headlight etch then as well.
    Its at Lexus now as brakes have not felt right since the booster was replaced (low pedal) and quoted $425. for pads and resurface rotors in front (we are buying parts and having Toyota dealer do it-bought the "lexus" pads,shims from dealer(@typical overpriced $113) as suggested by the Toyota service manager-claims some of the Toyota pads are not exact fits and they will do for $176.00 saving $130 !
    Also quoted $900 + for tires,Michelin's.
    Any ideas for best price?? Sams, BJ's???
    Its a AWD and after 45k I figure tires and front pads is all I have had to buy for it (except oil changes of course-been doing Mobil 1 with Toyota filter at friends shop for free)
    Thanks in advance
    Also quoted $900 + for tires,Michelin's.
    Any ideas for best price?? Sams, BJ's???

Check out Tires, tires, tires for suggestions too.

Steve, Host
  • dandgdandg Member Posts: 91
    ended up going with Sams, they where cheapest even with special order,which you can do online, at 755 installed(if you use the Sams discover knock off another 15=740)
    Tirerack was $5 less per tire but by the time you add shipping and install (two of the reccomended installers where not to hot on doing it-kindalike bring a steak to restaurant I suspect)it would be 784.
    both Bj's and tire w/house where a good bit more and the dealer was 975!!!dont mind a bit more but damn 225 is to much.
  • leslexusleslexus Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 2005 RX 330 less than 2 months ago with only 18K on it - Certified from a Lexus Dealer.

My parents have an 2004 so I am familar with driving it.

The following has occured 3 times now:

At speeds between 60-70mph the car all of a sudden gets very rough and stops accelerating.

The whole car begins to shake violently and make loud clunking sounds.

I have to full off the highway.

The care feels like it is either running out of gas or I am stauling out.

The first time the dealer said nothing wrong, but we'll change the brake pads and udate the software for the transmission.

A week later it happened again. After being in the shop for a week with technicians driving it (putting 130m ont he car) they said nothing wrong, I must have had "bad gas"

Now it is a week later I just got back from a weekend trip in which case it happened again. This time the sterring wheel shimmied for about 3 minutes before the entire car clunked and started shaking violently.

It is truly very frightening. No warning lights are coming on and the dealer insists the car is fine! I am scared to drive it! I think it is the transmission, but the dealer thinks I'm just nuts - thankfulling it has happened with serveral people in the car to witness it, but I just want my car to run properly!

HELP!
    Sounds as if the VSC or traction control is activating when it should not. Next time it happens immediately pull, disconnect, the MAF/IAT connector while the engine is running and then reconnect it after the engine dies. The VSC/Traction system will now be disabled for a few drive cycles due to the resulting CEL.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Just had a rather unusual problem taken care of by our Lexus dealer, and was wondering how widespread this issue might be. At around 42,000 miles the hood (over the engine compartment) would not stay open when lifted. It took about 4 days for the parts to come in and the dealer fixed it in about an hour, under warranty. Otherwise, our '04 has been trouble free.
  • btill1btill1 Member Posts: 69
    My wifes 04 with about 40,000 miles had the same problem they needed to replace the"shock absorber" that holds the hood open. All done under warranty during routine maintenance.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Interesting - must be a poorly designed or defective part. Over the ~42,000 miles since buying the car new we haven't opened the hood very often, since the dealer has done all of the servicing. The car doesn't seem to use much oil, so I don't check the level more than once a month. You would think that given the rare usage the hood's "shock absorber" would easily last for the life of the vehicle.
  • s6926s6926 Member Posts: 1
    I'll begin this by stating I'm not a car expert but thought sharing my experience would be helpful to others:

Brakepads/rotors: My Lexus RX330, approximately 25K miles, shook slightly whenever I braked on the highway. I took it in and the dealership stated that the rotors needed to be resurfaced and that this was not a defect in the car. This just didn't sound right so I did some research and thanks to "cotmc" I too phoned the national service number and the rep indicated that there was a service bulletin out for this issue and stated that the replacement of the rotors and brake pads would be covered under warranty.

Radiator: There was a recall for the radiators about a year ago. My car heated up so I didn't find out until it was too late. First syptom was not the temperature gauge but rather less than cool air blowing out of my air conditioner.

Hope this is helpful.
  • tadeusztadeusz Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 RX330 has had all the latest transmission software updates, but to no avail the gearbox still hesitates at low speeds and when it engages it does so with a pronounced ‘thud’. And now the transmission has developed a ‘whining’ noise at the start of gear engagement that lasts for a few seconds and the goes away. The ‘whining’ is most noticeable during ‘stop-and-go’ road conditions (traffic jams). The ‘whine’ also is appears when I take my foot of the accelerator.
    I have demonstrated this gearbox ‘whine’ to the Service Manager at the dealership, who had no answer and is going to check with Lexus Service to find out what could be causing it and what the corrective action is.

Has anybody experienced similar symptoms?
  • daltmayerdaltmayer Member Posts: 1
    Thanks so much! I just wanted to let you know how helpful this info was. I have a 2004 RX330 with just over 30k miles. I noticed the steering vibration about a month ago and it's become increasingly worse. I decided to try a search to see if others experienced similar issues and found this posting. Long story short, I printed the TSB bulletin and called the Bellevue, WA Lexus dealership. They had me come in and I gave them the bulletin info. Two hours later, the brake parts and service was done free! No hassles or questions asked. Now, I'd like to think that I would have had the same outcome without this info, but I'm not so sure it would have happened. Thanks for sharing the info and keeping my wallet intact!
  • woody11woody11 Member Posts: 3
    My 2006 RX 330 has 10,000 miles and has been great except for a really squeaky rear-armrest when in the upright position. It's the leather rubbing against leather. I asked the dealer and they said it's common and there's nothing they can do. I need to keep the armrest up because my dog travels in the backseat. I had two other annoying noises they were able to fix right away: a dash rattle and the rattling of the cargo cover. Does anyone have a solution for the armrest situation? Thanks.
  • reynoldsjbreynoldsjb Member Posts: 3
    I haven't had the RX330 a week. The only problems I've had is mainly from the seats. My back hurts every time I get out of the vehicle. I'm only 26, and I'm not carrying anything in and out of the vehicle. I have noticed the common "rattlin' dash and seats". I just turn up the radio when I hear it. I am starting to wonder about the BMW X5. It seems to be much more sporty than the 330.
    :confuse:

ARE THE SEATS UNCOMFORTABLE TO ANYONE ELSE?
  • alolewisalolewis Member Posts: 36
    Nope, I find my seats every comfortable, perhaps you need to play with the adjustments til you find a position that doesn't hurt?
    Sorry couldn't be more help.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I'm 6'4" and have an RX 300. I am susceptible to back problems and I find I can drive all day and not have a problem.
    I'll try... Thank You
    This is my first really nice car. I think I'm just freaking out. While in Park the battery, oil, and check engine light are on. When I start the car it goes away, but are these lights "supposed" to stay on while the rx330 is in park? I was told by a lexus dealer that they weren't then told by another dealer that they were. I'm unsure.

Please Advise

Jazmine
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I forgot to mention that I keep the back of my seat almost straight up. Fortunately I don't have a sunroof so I can do that and not hit the roof.
  • alolewisalolewis Member Posts: 36
    If the engine is not running and you turn the key to the run position, I believe those lights will stay on. I am not at home now or I would check my 2004 RX330. It makes sense the lights are on as the battery is not charging, the oil pressure is less than the sensor is set at, etc.