Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• donkeypunch1donkeypunch1 Member Posts: 119
    Noticed that my wifes 2004 Rx330 has engine rattle at low speeds (between 15-30mph). Almost sounds like shot lifters (if there is such thing these days). No slip in the trans, but definitely somethings not right. Anyone else encounter, idea what it is? Going to drag it into the dealer this week. Luckily another 3K left on the warranty.
  • georged98georged98 Member Posts: 34
    Any way of turning the "Maint Req." off???
    I do my own oil changes and need to turn this light off.
    Thanks.
  • georged98georged98 Member Posts: 34
    Never mind, I figured out how to do it.
    The trip odometer has to be in the odometer showing, not the Trip A or B.
    Press and hold the odometer button while turning the key to "ON". The odometer will show dash marks and will start to count down the dashes. When the dashes disappear, the Maint. Req. light will go off.
  • marta3marta3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Lexus RX330 with 25K miles; Ran over some rebar and blew out my left front tire.(Michelin) Replaced with Goodyear spare.. Drove home (200 miles). Dealer says uneven tread will damage transmission and I must immediately purchase three new Goodyear's, or four new Michelin's. Same dealer insisted I needed new brakes at 11,000 miles. Totally untrue, so I can't trust him. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Don't want to throw money away on tires, but will buy them if necessary, of course. Hesitant to drive until issue is resolved. ( I'm going to post this same request on the repair forum, since I'm not sure if this is the right place and need an answer quickly)

Many thanks
  • ionelionel Member Posts: 5
    I had a similar problem, at 10K miles or 15K miles but the Lexus Dealer in Rockville, MD change the damaged tire with the spare. This SUV has a full size spare tire. I have a 2004 Rx 330 with 62K miles with the original Michelin tires. I will get new tires before snow season start. The dealer replace the all 4 breaks pads at 50,000 Miles, with oil change I remember spending $600 or $ 700. Get a second opinion from a another Lexus Dealer in your area.
    Good luck.
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    I have a04 suv which at that time had 14k. My Michelin tire blew out on a pot hole. Dealer replaced the tire at no cost. Ditto on a second opinion re: tire replacement.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • jbl85jbl85 Member Posts: 49
    I have had this issue for some time now and am only writing about it now. I have an 05 Rx330 and it is a summer car and we don't drive it that much. In fact, it has less than 15k miles on it.

Took it in for the 30 month service (the manual specifically says that if you are not attaining the mileage, to go by the time allotment). The 30 month service calls for an oil change, tire rotation, road test, and to replace the a/c filter (on the ES and GS models).

I get there and they have this long list of items they want to do to the car at the 15k mile mark, and the cost of course is $300. When I ask about what the manual says, the guy responds with some jibberish about "Well we really don't go by that"...whatever. It was the worst BS job I think I have gotten in awhile. Someone once joked on this website that Lexus/Toyota assumes owners have big bucks to spend...maybe some of us do but I can't see just throwing money away for no reason. I asked for a copy of this list that they suggest doing at this mileage level and he wouldn't give it to me. So I insisted they do just the maintenance as required by the manual. Sometimes I feel like I am going to "Joe's Service Station" when I take my Rx in for service. Has anyone else experienced this??

JBL in Pittsburgh

P.S. By the way, I am sincerely happy with this car. I had some rattles and other noises that had to be dealt with over the course of the first year or so of ownership, but now everything has been tighened up and in ship shape. :)
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    This seems to be the normal operating procedure. After learning about this rip off here I started asking for just the manufacturer's recommended work to be done and have saved a lot of money. Some have raised a question about transmission fluid and changing it out more often than recommended but I have not had a problem on my '99 RX. I have 146,000 miles so far. (Knock on wood.)
    Does anyone know how to access this light? This is the upper light in the hatch.
    The local Lexus dealer played the same game with me with my 2004 RX330 as they tried to get me to go for the extra maintenance at 22k, and later up to 40k service.

I wanted to see how honest they MIGHT be at the 15k service. So I added wihd shield washer fluid to the top, marked the brake level, (at high). When i got my car back they had charged me for adding to the washer and brake fluids.

The next time in, I told them not to try that again. And I reminded them that the manuel said my oil change required one less quart than they had allegedly put in,

And since i also had the transmission oil changed at 15K at my request, that the number of quarts in tranny was one lower than what they allegedly put in. Tranny service was done at 40K.

I told them do what the warranty list says and no more. They got the message and I had no more problems.

One wonders why dealers and sales people have such a negative view about their profession, well I know many honest people in the car business but I also today don't take chances.

Good luck to all and stay safe especially on today's turkey day.

jensad
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The last thing, the VERY last thing, I want to be doing is "siding" with a dealer...

But the specified 4 qts to refill a simple drain of the transaxle & diff'l is not enough, it takes five.
  • jpsherfyjpsherfy Member Posts: 2
    Speaking of dealers, my last few cars have been Hondas. The Honda dealer I take it to "gets it." Doesn't try to sell you extra services and really treats you right. Great waiting facility, they really make you feel like they want to treat you right and keep you coming back. Wife wanted Lexus and now I am dealing with Lexus dealer. Boy they just really try to up-sell you. I am considering taking the Lexus back to a regular mechanic I used to use when I had a Mustang Convertible, but boy, I wish I could trade the Lexus service Dept for my Honda dept. It amazes me how so many dealers have so little regard for how they treat their customer. As long as the Honda guy treats me as he has I will keep buying cars from him for myself.
    "I wish I could trade...."

I'd bet your Lexus dealer, as would the Acura dealer, gladly trade service volumes with the Honda or Toyota dealers, respectively.

Not only are there a LOT fewer Lexus and Acura vehicles out there in the market to be serviced, but as a general rule they are also of better overall quality and therefore less prone to service needs.

So, feel sorry for your Lexus/Acua dealer, but stay the hell away.
  • julzrx330julzrx330 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 RX 330. I have the standard 6 CD changer, no navigation system. My CDs are stuck and I have "error 4" on the display. The CD player will not eject, not play, advance, nothing. My warranty expired 8k miles ago. I called the dealer and they said to bring it in. If it is broken, it will cost $650 to replace plus $150 labor...so a whopping $800 to fix/replace it! OMG! I love my RX but now question the quality. I went to Circuit City to get an iPOD adapter and was told that they do not have a compatible adapter YET for the 330s. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One of the tips in the How to Remove a Stuck CD guide may help until an owner comes along with some better suggestions. (The guide is geared more towards a single stuck CD, but the first "reset" tip may help).
  • bimmerguy288bimmerguy288 Member Posts: 21
    Just want to share some experience with you folks. I don't know how common it is but it ticked me off. Anyway, we bought two RXs from Silver Spring Lexus in Maryland--the 2nd one is a 2004 RX330, still under warranty. There are few minor issues I want to have looked at and fixed. I just called them to make an appoinment to bring the RX in and requested to have a loaner car. My schedule is flexible. The lady at the service department said they don't provide loaner cars unless it's for scheduled maintainence service, not for repair work even it's under warranty.

I think this is BS. I bring my BMW to a dealer near me for all repair/schedule maintainence and they ALWAYS give me a loaner even though I DIDN"T buy the car from them. One of the reasons we bought Lexus is the supposedly good Lexus customer service. What has happened to that? Sorry for the rant.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's another way to tell the world:

Dealer Ratings and Reviews
  • bimmerguy288bimmerguy288 Member Posts: 21
    Just got a call from someone higher up at the dealership after I sent them an e-mail to complain. Now they will give me a loaner car.
  • lexusintexaslexusintexas Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Just a quick note to inquire about what the resolution was in your case? I have a 2004 RX330 with just about 40K miles (unfortunately out of warranty by time) and am having the same problem. The first time the dealer reset the code and said that it was an exhaust error code. That code cleared, but is back now after about 600 miles.

I would be grateful if you could respond with whatever turned out to be the problem in your case. You could email me at badwal@wt.net

Thanks,
    Atul.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    At Lexus of Tampa Bay, it's the opposite. If there's something that might need to be looked at that would be covered under the warranty, no questions asked, they give me a loaner. But if it's just for the oil change/tire rotation, no loaner. One of my coworkers has a Lexus RX also, but she bought hers at Lexus of Clearwater and she gets a loaner no matter what! Go figure!!
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Hi sorry this isnt about the RX, but i saw in one of the murano forums you said you had rented a murano in florida, which company did you do through? Im trying to get one for a 2 week trip and i cant find out which rental company has one, thanks so much for the help!
  • kcboonekcboone Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2004 RX 330 with 45K miles and discovered that the 6 CD changer has the problem you referenced. I have called the Chrysler dealer where I purchased and they are thinking it over. What did you end up doing to your system. Replace or repair? Should the dealer fix it under his regular warrenty?
    They should have known it was a problem and stand behind it. Your thoughts?
  • soul1350soul1350 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Guys,
    I purchased a pre-owned certified RX330 – year 2004 about a year ago from Lexus Greenwich, during last year since I got the car, I almost dropped it off every month at the dealer for some problems.
    But still there is a big issue, which I’m dealing with that since the second month after the purchasing the car.
    It’s regarding to the Clunking/popping sound when the car is shifting up between 30-40 mph speed and when the car is down shifting.
    Actually the dealer applied TSB#TC002-04-FP#3297-48030 to my car and also said that they applied all other transmission adjustment. But after couple months the sound came back, this time the sound is much lighter than before but it’s making me nuts.
    They test-drive the car with Lexus technician and they are keep saying this sound is the nature of all Lexus cars – no mater what model.
    I was wondering if any body else here has the same problem as me or it’s only my problem.
    If my car is the only defected one, then I’m planning to file a claim against them on National Center for dispute.
    Willing to hear from anybody, which has the same problem.

Thanks,
    :mad: :confuse:
    Dear soul1350

When I purchased my rx330 I too had a "clunk" sound and there seemed a slight gap between hitting the brake and then the accelerator. It seems to go away probably with the TSB#TC002-04-FP#3297-48030 .

However, they kept saying there was no clunk. So instead of their technicians taking out the car, I DROVE my car with their tech in the car. When the noise occurred I told the tech.

After several times thru the service dept, correcting under warranty the sunroof failure to shut (2x), the clunk (1x), and the rattle in the dash, (4x) my rx330 which is still under warranty until 6/3/08, is now running fine.

Suggest you drive and point out the issues and not trust their techs to do the driving.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • ccc4ccc4 Member Posts: 4
    My 2004 RX330 has a strange noise when driving between 70-75 miles/hr on the freeway and when slightly pushing the gas paddle. The noise will be gone if the gas paddle is released. went to the dealer a couple of times because of it and was told the noise was from transmission, it's normal and it happens to all RXs. Does anyone have the same problem? Even if it does not hurt anything, it's still very annoying. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot......

Philip
    Dear Jensad,

thanks for your kind reply. I was wondering do you know what did they do beside TSB to your car. did you hear the noise after that or it's completely gone?
    thanx
  • carlp2530carlp2530 Member Posts: 3
    the maintenance book doesnt state that the atf should be changed at 60k miles. There is a band on the tranny filler that states not required to change fluid under normal driving. Dealer wants to change fluid..is this a $ generator for them or should i abide by the lexus written guidance. Should the tranny fluid ever be changed?
    $...$$$...$$$$

And the dealer didn't even suggest that you needed the timing belt changed at 60,000...for shame!
  • ckanesthesiackanesthesia Member Posts: 3
    I had the exact same problem with my wife's 2004 RX330. I called it a high pitch "whine".... constant at 75mph... goes away when the foot is let off the accelerator. Mine also had a "whine" when decelerating to a stop from 30-40 mph... sounds like wheel bearing or tire noise... annoying.

Anyway, I took the car to the lexus dealer and told them I thought the noise was coming from the transmission.... they called me later and confirmed that it was the transmission and replaced it with a rebuilt transmission.. took a week, but it got resolved... car had 60K miles on it so still under factory power train warrenty so no cost to me.

good luck with yours.
  • mcemce Member Posts: 1
    Hi Philip,
    I have a 2004 RX330 with exactly the same problem, and I hate driving the car because of it. My wife mostly drives the car, and usually has the CD on all the time. I have had it to the dealer 4 times, along with a factory rep. They say it is normal, but I cannot reproduce it in a loaner car - it is not normal. I cannot accept this answer.
    I am thinking it now may be related to a motor mount vibration and making the way through the exhaust bracket, but that is a long shot. By the way, mine is the FWD version. I was encouraged by ckanesthesia reply that the transmission was replaced.
    PS: Mine also happens at a lower frequency . .more subtle at around 45 as well.
    Let me know if you heare more ok?
    -Mike
    Hi Guys,
    My problem is mostly same as Mike, after more than 20 times dropping the car for this issue finally they drove the car with Lexus Tech and he said thats normal, which I don't believe it is.
    on the service invoice they mentioned the noise coming off of the drive line and it's normal.
    I think we all should take the next step and call National Center for Dispute at 1-866-272-4872 or 1-800-777-8119 EXT 115 to file a claim against Lexus which is not coming up with solution for this problem.
    I'm planing to file a claim by tomorrow as well and will keep you guys posted.
  • pinkosugirlpinkosugirl Member Posts: 2
    Well, I always hear a luxury foreign car will cost you. I have a 2004 RX 330, just turned over to 56k miles. I'm the first owner, baby the car. I have had to replace the high performance tires at 40k miles, replace the radio at 45k miles, get a new battery at the same time. So now, my radio is not working again and the dealership will not replace it b/c it's a replacement part, is only good for 12 months or 10k miles. I'm furious. I paid way too much for this car to sink all of this $ into it. I understand oil changes, fluid changes, etc. Has anyone else had issues with tires and radio? I may trade this sucker soon. Love the car/size, but the maintenence is expensive and I'm liking Acuras even more.
    If Lexus replaced your radio then I'm sure you can get it covered until the date the original warranty would have run out. I am very surprised that they are taking this stance. I can't imagine my Lexus dealer doing that. I have 149,000 on a '99 and have even had them pay 1/2 the cost to replace out of warranty items. I think you just need to be firm and escalate it if you need to.
  • pinkosugirlpinkosugirl Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I have an appt Friday. I plan on being very firm.
  • remborembo Member Posts: 1
    HI

I own 05 RX330 with 29k miles same exact thing is happening to me. Going back for second time, told me thermostat was sticking first time it happened not even 3 weeks ago. The month before I had my car in for service, tire rotation, oil change etc. and this happened after they had WORKED on it !!!!

Wondering if you ever got to the cause.

thanks
  • kitana370kitana370 Member Posts: 6
    Does ur odometer go back to correct mileage after reset???

Thanks
    Deneen
    :confuse:
  • rich18944rich18944 Member Posts: 14
    This procedure does not change the mileage.
  • my330my330 Member Posts: 2
    One normal, uneventful day I started my 2004 RX330 with 43K as usual. But it was not a normal day for my RX 330. The CEL (check engine light) was blinking continuously. There was no warning, it was driving fine before this day. Luckily I was home. It was flat-bedded in for service. Truck had 3/4 tank gas, gas cap tight. Codes showed an ignition coil needed to be replaced, and it was. Truck was driven total of 3 miles at under 25mph when CEL blinking. My Japanese-made truck is less than a year out of warranty, so my wallet breathed an audible "ouch."

Summer vacation is coming up. I don't want to be on a summer outing with my kids and have this happen again. I maintain my cars, keep tires properly inflated, and only use super/premium gas in this truck. I expected to own this truck well past 100K when I bought it, now I'm not so sure.

:confuse: What is likelihood of other 5 ignition coils going bad, without warning, as this one has? Or is this another once-in-a-million thing that my RX 330 has experienced? My confidence in this vehicle is shaken. My family has owned several Lexus/Toyotas, yes, some to over 100K and some for many years, with no unexpected problems such as this. Any thoughts, please?
  • domer1domer1 Member Posts: 5
    Have a 2004 RX 330 with 31,000 miles. Purchased new in August 2003 so it's out of warranty. Have had the noisy/rattling dashboard problem in cold weather, goofy transmission "searching" for the gear that will make it most happy and the battery failed after 3 years. Lexus has fixed these items but now comes the most bizzare.

Driving at 70 MPH on Interstate 95 last week, the black plastic moulding that wraps around the small window behind the rear door on the passenger side blew off the car. Went to Lexus in Naples, FL where the service manager said he had seen this problem before. To repair they need to replace the entire window. Cost is about $400. Outside of warranty so he says Lexus won't cover. He gave me the name of the glass shop where they get windows repaired and that guy told me he is seeing this rather frequently on 2004 through 2007 Lexus RX models. He feels the problem is a defect. Car has never been in an automatic carwash except at the dealer.

Anyway, I am appealing the dealer's "out of warranty" position to Lexus. Meanwhile, has anyone experienced this problem?

Thanks,

Domer 1
  • tleevtleev Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 RX 330 purchased in Sept. 05, I have had several rattles and now the most annoying problem is the transmission clunking/lagging, been going on a while now (only has 31,000 miles). Had it fixed several months ago... dealer first said what I was experiencing was normal. Then after driving it, they told me the computer was not transmitting the proper signal to the transmission, causing this problem. Fix at first was great, now a few months later, problem is back and getting worse. Seems like the vehicle is even having a hard time starting from a stopped position now too. Even my husband has noticed how bad it is, just driving it occasionaly. Luckily mine is a lease. Was considering purchasing it, since it has very low miles, but very unsure now. Wish I could say it's a better car and Lexus knew how to fix this problem!
  • t0dt0d Member Posts: 1
    Sorry about late reply, but complain to Lexus corporate if you already paid this... I spoke to a guy this happened to and he said dealer is replacing trim only, not window. Hope this helps.
  • 0435004350 Member Posts: 26
    This probably won't help you much but when a luxury vehicle is out of warranty
    or more than 4 years old, just assume that you will normally pay at least $ 100
    for each 1,000 miles that you drive to cover both unexpected repairs plus routine
    upkeep such as tires, brakes, oil changes, etc.
  • modfathermodfather Member Posts: 6
    My 2005 RX330 (awd) will soon go out of warranty (in Sept. 2008). We only have 20k miles on it, but was thinking of getting the 30k/36 mos. service done early in case there are any issues with the car. Good idea? Any advice?

So far, no issues with the car. Only complaint is low mpg in city (getting 14-15 mpg here in Wash. DC...)
  • briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    I have a 2005 RX 330 AWD. What are the concerns with coasting downhill in NEUTRAL at speeds ranging from 25-70 mph to save fuel? Potentially damaging to the transmission and/or the AWD system? Thanks!
  • flstspringerflstspringer Member Posts: 1
    Just had to add this!!! As I traveled behind my wifes 2004 RX 330, I watched the rear window trim panel peel away from the cars body and snap. It happened so quickly, I couldn't notify her. After looking at how it is attached ( assisted with small pieces of double sided foam tape) it's obvious that the moldings will fail to stay in place. When the tape degrades the molding flies - interesting feat of engineering...
  • dallasman1dallasman1 Member Posts: 4
    2004 RX 330. I feel a mild (but very annoying) rubbing in my steering wheel whenever I accelerate and sometimes when breaking hard. Took it to the dealership, they checked out the motor mounts and said they looked okay. They said they adjusted the mounts a bit and that the rubbing should be minimized. However, when I picked it back up, the rubbing felt the same as it did before. I plan on taking in again, but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this so that maybe I could point the service guys in the right direction. Thanks!
  • ralipioralipio Member Posts: 1
    I own a LEXUS GSV40L colored white. Today I went to the dealer for a maintenance check-up as I reached 30,000KM. They told me that my car needs to change engine oil & filter only. Would you imagine that they charged me with $162.50 just for changing the oil and filtel and my car is still under warranty. IS this a normal practice to charge the owner even if the car is still under warranty.

I would appreciate your reply on this query sa soon as possible so I can complain directly to my dealer in Saudi Arabia Abdulatif Jameel Retail company Ltd. thank you for your time.
  • jebelljebell Member Posts: 54
    Of course. Warrenty does not cover maintenance items such as oil/filter change, wiper blades, brakes, etc.

Keep in mind, you DO NOT have to have you lexus serviced at the over priced dealer.
  • gzehnder76gzehnder76 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue as you. I have a 2004 RX 330 and I washed it over the weekend and my passenger rear window molding behind the back seat one, is gone. It was flapping before and I tried to push it back down myself but that didn't work...it's completely gone now. Did you get yours replaced and if so, how much was it? I also had the cold dash noise and my lexus dealership fixed it when it was still under warranty. They added extra insultation or something. It fixed the noise though!!
  • hal17hal17 Member Posts: 1
    I need help with finding out the cause of a grinding noise when I start the car. It only happens when the stater is turning, and it sounds like there was a loose part in it. It only happens once in a while. The car starts every time I turn the key, but I am afraid that it will not start one day, or more damage to the engine will be done. When the engine starts (starter stops turning) the car drives well. No more noise. I wanted to check if maybe the starter's screw was loose or something connected to it was loose, but I can not even find the starter! Where is it? Any suggestions as to the problem? Are there any other parts that work only at the startup? Any help is appreciated. The car is 2004 :confuse: RX330