Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jalegrantijalegranti Member Posts: 6
    I have an '05 RX330 and recently the Nav system stopped working properly. The display reads "Can't find DVD".
    This doesn't happen every time I try to use the Nav system -- happens sporadically.
    I took it to the dealer and was told that when this happens the (whole) Nav system needs to be replaced. As you might guess, it's a very expensive item, and with labor the total is even higher.
    Has anyone had any experience with faulty Nav systems in their RX330? What was the fix? Any input or suggestions are appreciated.
    THX!
  • jalegrantijalegranti Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone recomend a good independent Lexus repair shop in the greater West Chester, PA area? Wilmington/Newark DE area would also be considered.
    I'm looking for a mechanic that does good work at a fair/reasonable price (and doesn't replace parts that don't need replacement). Basically, a shop with a reputation for good work and integrity. (Dealers need not apply).
    Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out Get ratings & reviews on car dealers & repair shops in your neighborhood.

If you find a good one, please post in there too (or even if you find a bad one!).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Just a note - if you're running behind a proxy you may need to turn it off to view the maps.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You may have water in the wheel well for the spare tire.

The DVD player is on the right side, to the right of the tire jack. You can easily eject the DVD and clean it.
  • rvm1rvm1 Member Posts: 15
    In april of 2005 I had both headlights replaced in my 2004 RX330 due to accumulation of condensation inside the headlight assembly. This was done under warranty. I am now faced with the same problem on the driver's side headlight. Of course its no longer under warranty. Knowing the stock answer I would get from the dealer I spoke directly to Lexus seeking help in replacing the assembly. I understand that dealers quote about $1700.00 to replace one assembly so its expensive. I have stayed away from the local dealer because of the atrocious service I received in 2005/2006, which I documented in a letter to Lexus. As expected Lexus checked with the dealer to see if I was a good dealer customer before commitiing to an answer. As expected they declined to do anything.

I am very disappointed since of all the auto manufacturers I thought Lexus would stand behind its product when it appears to be a recurring problem. I since discovered that several other owners have the same failure. My conclusion is that these headlights have a residual defect. Its too bad that Lexus will not take steps to maintain brand loyalty when they are faced with what is without doubt a latent defective product.

Let me know if anyone in this forum has had to deal with the same issue.
  • mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    I too had a defective headlight assembly and it was replaced under warranty. Just passed 50K so am very concerned about the other one going bad and getting screwed for $1,700.
    I just returned to Virginia from Florida and had a Thule cargo carrier on the crossbars of the luggage rack. I drove 10 hours straight through and it rained the entire time.
    When I took the Thule carrier off about two days later I discovered that the cross bars could not be moved. When I pulled up on the little lever that releases the pins on both sides of the cross bar the bar would not budge. I tried a few squirts of WD 40 on each of the four levers and problem was solved. Not sure whether the weight of the cargo caused the problem (I was very careful to not exceed max weight listed in owner's manual) of if it was due to 10 hours of heavy rain or a combination of both.
  • eyedoc4eyedoc4 Member Posts: 3
    Add me to the list of 2004 RX 330s with air suspension problems. I got the same blinking on and off light that coyera reported. Mine occured at 40,000 miles and 5 months after the warranty expired. My RX has been far from flawless. Very few RXs with air suspension were sold so if there are several people reporting problems then satatistically the percentage of failure could be high. This may be my last of 6 Lexus products and certainly the last with an air suspension. I will also never buy a new model in its first yearafter a major revision, like this 2004 RX or the new 2010 RX. I'm tired of being Lexus' rolling testbed.
  • tdtibbettstdtibbetts Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 RX 330, and had a headlight condensation problem as you describe. I placed an electric space heater on a step ladder about two feet from the headlight, and heated the assembly with low heat for about 1.5 hours. The condensation disappeared.

I have also had the moldings from my rear quarter windows blow off. The first time it happened, I had the window replaced (expensive). This time, after the weather warms up a bit, I am going to glue the molding on.

I had the pump on my air suspension replaced at about 40K miles.

I am still a fan of Lexus.
  • tdtibbettstdtibbetts Member Posts: 2
    Re #1662 My headlight 'repair' with heat was short lived. The moisture is back. My dealer told me it will cost $1K to replace now, or $1700 if the ballast goes bad.

The solenoid on my air tank (air suspension) is noisy. Est $975 to replace. This is the second major repair on the air suspension system @ 64K miles.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    The owner's manual says the gas tank capacity is 19.5 gallons. On the only road trip that I took since we bought in Dec, the low gas light was on for some 20 miles, thinking it had to be dry, I was able to put only 17.3 gallons in it. Do these RX330 AWD really hold over 19 gallons?

Thanks,
    Joe
    You can get used HID non-AFS or AFS type headlights on E-bay for about $150 each. The problem with these RX's is that you have to take the bumper cover off to get to the headlight.

If you keep getting too much condensation in the headlight, you could loose the bulb too.
  • zzzzzz982000zzzzzz982000 Member Posts: 17
    I just bought a lexus RX 330 2005 with 60,000Km (certified by the Lexus dealer) . I find it has wierd AC behaviour. It was very hot two days ago, around 33 degrees celsius (90 F) and the AC was fluctuating between very cold air and mild cold all the time. The cold air output was not sufficient to cool the car confortably. Both sides were on LO and I tried recirculate and no recirculate and the effect was the same

I pushed the fan to maximum speed and heard a distinctive groaning noise
    coming from the fan. (When I shut off AC the fan noise remains there so no link with the AC )

AC and fan are not covered by waranty in on certified lexus in Canada
    I do not know what is going on. and before I go to the dealer for a costly
    repair could you help me if any of you have a RX330 with those three questions:

1- When your AC is on do you feel the compressor is constantly starting and stopping and the air outlet temperature is constantly fluctuating from very cold to "not so cold" .

2- in very hot weather do you have enough cooling in the cabine (i suppose yes since i did not see any complaints in the forum on that)

3- When your fan is at the highest speed , do you hear a groaning noise , or is it really silent. Noise is distinctively higher and groaning than when fan is at low speed. (This is independent from the AC on or off)

Thanks
    Check that the pollen filter is installed otherwise something may have fallen into the squirrel cage blower and is the source of the blower noise. The sunlight radiation sensors, left and right, can, will have, a significant effect on the level of cooling routed out of the ducts.

For quick cooldown on a hot day I always turn the system to max cooling, 65F, and adjust the fan for an "acceptable", lower, noise level.

You can increase the A/C cooling efficiency significantly, and get a slight gain in FE, by blocking the hot water flow to the heater core during the summer.
    Thanks wwest
    I will check the pollen filter I think it must be recheable through the glove box
    Been having a rattle noise in the back of the car
    Tried to find out where the rattle was coming from
    It turned out it is the two latches on the rail that hold the trunck cover
    I squeezed two small pieces of soft plastic behind the latches and the rattle disapeared. You can use cloth or paper and it will do the job
  • lakeituplakeitup Member Posts: 1
    I am having this exact issue with my 2006 RX330 and it is driving me crazy. What exactly do you mean by the two latches on the rail that hold the trunk cover?
    Hello Lakeitup
    Sorry for the delay ,
    The two latches are in the back of the car where you slide in the tonneau cover
    (the cover that you put in the trunck to hide your stuff inside)
    What I did is insert (squeeze) a thick carton in the space behind the latch so that the latch will not move anymore.
    The ratlle disapeared. It used to be very annoying when driving over a bumpy or rugged asphalt street

I lalso found out there is a TSB for this.
    let me know if you are able to fix it
    Or I can send you a picture
    I dont know if PM is available on this forum
    Regards
  • briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    On my RX 330, assuming you are not using the tonneau cover, I found that if you push the latch buttons to the position towards the front of the car the rattle goes away. Good luck!
  • cecartercecarter Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I just bought a 2006 RX330 with 67k mi.. After the deal and before paying, I had asked about an extended warranty. The closer offered 3 options. 4 yr 48000 mi for $6200. the least was $2400 for 24 mo/24000 miles.
    I passed on all extended warranties. I'm gambling that I can get more from my money w/o the warranty.
    Hope this info helps. There are better prices out there, but this was a lexus dealers best. It was not a CPO warranty either. Good, but not worth $6 large.
    You did the smart thing by passing up the extended warranty. In my opinion they are a rip off and this is particularly true of a Lexus warranty. I have a '03 Lexus LS and an '05 Lexus RX. They are both out of warranty and I wouldn't even consider paying for the extended warranty. The Lexus build quality is such that they are not too likely to need much work after they are out of warranty if you perform the necessary routine maintenance i.e., change oil, filter, rotate tires, and a few other items on the maintenance schedule. I have now had six Lexus' and owned all of them for over 75K miles and one of them for 128K before selling it. None of them have ever needed any significant maintenance work after the manufactures warranty expired. I'm sure that there are people out there who have not had such great experiences with their Lexus but I would bet that the great majority have had experience similar to mine. Good luck and enjoy a great car.
  • showstershowster Member Posts: 3
    My 2005, Rx 330, with 68K needs the strut mounts replaced. The local Lexus dealership already replaced the struts, which was covered by warranty, as the vehicle had below 50K at the time. I'm thinking the dealership should cover the strut mounts? Does anyone have any information for me to use as ammo?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Does anyone have any information for me to use as ammo?

You might be able to make a case that the struts wore prematurely due to defective mounts but I'm not sure how you do that.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I would get a second opinion on the struts. It might pay you to spend a few $ to get an indepenednt look at the struts since replacements can be up to $900.00. I was told mine were bad but found that to be otherwise when I took it to an independent repair facility and I don't mean a tire place. Go to an independent garage.

My personal experience with Lexus is that once its out of warranty they don't much care.
  • showstershowster Member Posts: 3
    Just to clarify rvm1...the struts were already replaced and was covered by warranty. Now it is the strut mounts that Lexus stated needed to be replaced (the noise is horrible when turning following driving on a bumpy road). The last time I complained about the popping noise from the front when I made a turn......Lexus found a bad strut and replaced both. Now I have a rubbing noise which Lexus stated was the strut mounts....thought I would try to fight the warranty thing? Lexus quoted $560.00 for the job.
    Historically Lexus dealers are an expensive way to go for repairs. Consequently I have always done my own maintenance. With that as a prelude, what Lexus will do when you contact them to get them to pay for this is to ask for the name of your dealer and check with him to see if you have been a "loyal" dealer customer. If not they will give you some excuse for not covering the cost of replacing the mounts. If you have been, they may make an offer to share the cost ie they provide the mounts and you pay the labor, which may well be most of the cost quoted to you.

I would first get an independent quote covering the cost of materials and labor separately so you can compare their response with an outside quote.

Good luck !
  • martinm3martinm3 Member Posts: 3
    >>Sorry about late reply, but complain to Lexus corporate if you already paid this... I >>spoke to a guy this happened to and he said dealer is replacing trim only, not >>window. Hope this helps.

Did you have to pay? or Dealer cover the charge?
  • sltpigsflysltpigsfly Member Posts: 16
    As a prior owner of an RX330, I still get these alerts. I purchased a 400h and did have the problem with the window moulding coming off - flapping furiously in the wind at 70 mph! My dealership replaced the moulding and the window at no cost. I would contact the service department manager, and if that fails, the regional service manager. They should cover the expense for you.
    My warranty has expired. Do you think they will still cover that?

thanks
    My bought 4 michelin tires from Costco and put it on my
    2004 RX330. They totally worn out just after 1 year.
    I can't believe it. What should I do?
    What does this loose molding look like?

with our 2004 RX330 with 41K miles, I hear some thing flapping while driving even at 40-50mph. I sounds like one of the luggage carrier racks is loose, but all luggage rack parts are tight in place.

This flapping noise from outside is annoying in otherwise very quiet ride. When I look at the rear ( left and right) quarter panel window moldings, they appear tight in place. Could it be that they are loosely in place and when wind goes around it then it starts flapping?

I have never had this type of noise from any other vehicle we have owned.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Yes, my warranty had expired. Also, for the individual who asked what the loose moulding looked like, it is the rubber around the rear passenger window area. In my case, it was on the passenger side of the car, and I could see it flapping when I looked in my right side mirror. Typically, you have to be going 50 mph or so to have the problem occur. Hope this helps!
    I thought of this after my prior reply . . . on my RX400h, I've had the moulding at the top of the roof come loose after going through drive through car washes with brushes or fabric scrubbers. You might look at those strips (there are two, running the length of the roof) to see if they are in securely. You can push them back in by hand, and that should solve your problem. Avoid car washes that aren't touchless!
  • silverghost1silverghost1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 RX330 has 110,000 miles and still going strong! The visors on both sides have worked loose. As I am many miles past having warranty coverage, I'd like to tighten them up myself, if possible. Anyone know how to do this? :shades:
  • 850cooker1850cooker1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 RX330 with 35K miles, bought new. Replacing front discs at 35,160 miles. Rears still in good shape. Lexus says brake warranty stops at 1 yr/12,500 miles. Surprised and disappointed.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's pretty typical since brakes are a wear item and not everyone treats them gently. Front brakes do most of the work so it's normal for them to wear out faster than the rears too.
    No OEM brake pads should wear out at 12K miles unless you are driving a taxi or a delivery vehicle. or you have frozen caliper and/or hanging sliding pins. I would write to Lexus and ask them for help. While they want to stick to their official stand, they also realize that this is a premature wear.

I bought cermic pads for front and organic pads for the rear and put them on. It cost me $70 ( after $30 rebate) for front and rear pads. The pads on our 2004 RX with 41K were worn out in the rear with some left in the front. I could not tell whether the front pads were replaced once before we bought the car.

Replacing the RX pads has to be one of the easiest one I have done.
    It is fairly common practice for customers to be told that brake rotors need to be replaced when in fact that is not true. 35K on front pads is on the low side but not really unusual.

I replace my front pads at least twice before I even consider turning the rotors and I have NEVER has to repalce rotors.

It is possible, remotely possible, that the front pads were so worn that the rotors were damaged.
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    Since they are a wear item, I wouldn't expect brake pads to be warranteed past 12,000. It is possible to wear the brake pads out by 30,000 miles, depending on how you drive, how much weight you haul with you, and the type of use.

My experience ('99 RX300 2WD): I replaced my original pads (all 4 at the same time) because of the annoyingly premature wear sensors which made the car squeak like an old jalopy. The wear sensors are small tabs of soft metal that rub cause a metal-to-metal scraping-squeaky sound. I think they were noisy by 30,000, but each inspection showed there was plenty of brake left so being the cheapskate I am, I did not replace them, nor did the Toyota dealer recommend it. I finally replaced all four at the same time to quiet all the squall by about 75,000, but the Toyota dealer said there was still plenty of wear left. The factory pads were fine, but the built-in wear sensors are set to cause lots of noise prematurely to annoy you into replacing them early. I didn't have to replace the discs. I did have them flush the brake fluid, purging all old fluid and bleeding the brake system out at the time they did the brakes.

If your discs were warped from excessive heat or the pads were worn so that contact was made to the disc, it is possible to ruin your disc(s). Ask them to show you on your car what specifically is worn, and look at the parts yourself. Look for any unusual wear. Any good shop will be willing to do this.
    Front rotors warped enough to be a problem would indicate so via throbbing of the brake pedal, or in severe cases stearing wheel "shake", when brakes are lightly applied while moving.
    Replaced the front rotors and pads at 67000 miles on my 04. Unless you drive with the brake pedal down I'd say that replacing them at 12k is premature wear. Perhaps you might have your repair folks check out the rotors to make sure that there isn't a problem there. If none then get back to Lexus and go up the chain of command.
  • wyckoffwyckoff Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I have a 2004 Lexus RX330 with the rare air suspension system. The car literally does a constant bounce while driving. I've taken it to Lexus twice, they've replaced the front two sensors and fixed the wiring to one of the rear sensors. The bouncing is now much worse than when I originally took it to them. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Thanks!
    Since we bought our 2004 RX330 used last Nov with 37K miles, we have been noticing this annoying noise that sounds like a rubber seal is hitting against the roof. Several times, I could swear the sound was coming from under the dash.

While changing the oil/filter last week for the first time, I removed two underbody plastic shields to got to oil filter and to degrease underside of the engine. I noticed the larged undebody shield had broken in the front in its thinnest part. The broken section was separated in the front.

After changing the oil, I did not put it back on, thinking I will buy a new one. When the car drives up, you can tell the piece is missing. At $210 wholesale, I may not ever replace it.

While driving on the highway without the undebody piece, I noticed the annoying rattle is gone. I just find it amazing how rattle and noise could transfer in a car and be heard in a different part of the car.

Joe
  • yosh13yosh13 Member Posts: 1
    what is fair price for dealer installed remote engine starter on new RX350?
  • lexus330vroomlexus330vroom Member Posts: 2
    Did anyone ever figure out why the check engine and VSC lights came on and how to fix the issue? I'm dealing with the same issue. Thanks
  • lexus330vroomlexus330vroom Member Posts: 2
    I had seen this topic before on this site, but nobody seems to have answered why these lights came on. I would certainly appreciate any info. Thanks!
  • football247football247 Member Posts: 2
    This has happened to me and since I have noticed about 4 other RX330"s missing the moulding on the rear quarter panel window. I was wondering if anybody know how wide spread this problem is and if Lexus is doing anything about it.
    When I went to my dealer they said they never heard of this problem and wanted over $300 because they said the entire window had to be replaced. I said no way for a $20 peice of moulding.
  • domer1domer1 Member Posts: 5
    Our 2004 RX 330 had this problem (Check Engine and VSC) twice since the end of June 2009. Dealer traced the problem to a faulty fuel filler cap. They cleaned it, cleared the code and I was on my way. They did say there was a chance it could happen again. If it do they would replace the fuel cap. It happened again and they replaced the fuel cap this past Tuesday.
  • domer1domer1 Member Posts: 5
    This is a common problem and Lexus dealers know it very well. Our right rear moulding blew off 2 years ago. To fix, they would need to replace the entire window. I spoke with the glass replacement service that my Florida Lexus dealer uses. He said he sees the problem often, gluing it on does not work long-term and that I should contact lexus customer service. I contacted them by email and got a favorable reply. While they did not offer to replace the window and did not acknowledge a probelm, they did send me a credit that is good for anything (service or parts) at a Lexus dealer with no expiration. Meanwhile, I've kept the moulding and keep an eye out for an adhesive product that would work long-term.