Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• silverghost1silverghost1 Member Posts: 2
    This happened on my 2004 RX330 last year. I caught the problem before the molding fell completely off, so was able to save the piece. I went to a body shop yesterday, who glued the piece back on for no charge! Took them about 15 minutes. I won't do any business with Lexus ever again. Too many issues with a 'luxury' car to suit me. :mad:
  • kerrienkerrien Member Posts: 1
    Hi: I've searched the posts already and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So, here I am.

I installed a hitch on my 2004 RX 330, and I intend to tow a small 14-foot travel trailer (guessing the weight is ~1,500 lbs). The towing capacity of the vehicle and hitch is 3,500 lbs.

1. Has anyone had any issues with towing under similar conditions? Any tips/advice?

2. The tongue of the trailer pushes the back end of my vehicle down. I looked into installing a distributing hitch, but these types of hitches are not allowed for this vehicle. Does anyone have any information about reducing the pressure on the back of the vehicle, redistributing the weight, or adjusting the vehicle suspension?

Thanks in advance.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Often trailer towing weight capacity of the vehicle assumes only driver and nothing else in the car. Once you have passengers, luggage, and some loading in the trailer you are at 3500 pound limit.

How much back of the RX is lowering? You think a 1500 pound trailer should not cause any noticeable lowering. Anyway, assuming you are not towing more than 2-3 times a year, less than 2000 miles each time, and not through hilly train, it is not worth getting into weight distribution or suspension modification. I would worry about the transmission than anything else in RX.

Make sure your transmission fluid/filter is changed every three years. Do not use cruise control on inclines, lower your speed if you notice too much down shifts, and you should be fine.

These FWD biased SUV/LUVs are not built to pull anything serious. They can handle a bike rack comfortably and that is about it.
  • jselingojselingo Member Posts: 9
    Just purchased a 2010 RX and the dealer said to avoid the car wash and wash by hand. There are times, particularly in the winter, where I'd prefer a good car wash. I understand the potential for damage, but does a normal car wash damage the clear coat?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The RX transaxle is well known to be more than a little fragile so I wouldn't tow at all unless the RX came from the factory with the towing package that includes an external ATF cooler.
  • calxcalx Member Posts: 1
    This just happened to me. My right rear moulding came off too. Is it only defect on the right side? BTW who did you contact from Lexus? Your local Lexus dealer or Lexus of N. America customer service? Unfortunate for me, I did not even see it coming off, so I have no part to glue back on.
  • sltpigsflysltpigsfly Member Posts: 16
    Haven't experienced a problem on the left, just the right. Dealt with my local dealer, who initially replaced the moulding. Had the problem recur, and they then replaced the window and the moulding. No problems since - it has been about a year and a half since the repair.
  • stonewallstonewall Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 2004 RX330 in 2005 with 22000 mi from a dealer. This vehicle is rare having the leveling device that normally available only on GS or larger SUV's.
    Yellow OFF light started flashing, and after 2+ hours of "diagnosis" my dealer says the module has to be replaced for $1700. I have 96000 miles on this car, no one warned me the leveling thingee is no no. Car is comfortable on highway but after spending $2000 last month for the 90,000 check, it is WAY too expensive to own. I feel I have no choice here....cannot replace system with regular because cost more than fix....So much for the high rated dependable car reputation....(should have kept my '96 Camry) Any suggestions?
  • wyckoffwyckoff Member Posts: 2
    I have the same nightmare. I purchased my 2004 RX330 in 2008 at 67k miles, and a year later, at 93,000 miles (I drive all over the state!) the leveling system is not functioning properly. My car rode a bit rougher than our RX300 when we bought it, but NOTHING like it rides now. It rides as if if has no shocks, a constant bounce. A dump truck would have a smoother ride, seriously. I have spent $1500 at Lexus during the first two trys to fix it, then the third and fourth trys were free because Lexus does not know how to fix their own car. They basically admitted they don't know how because that option was so rare and only put on in 2004 - go figure! They had my car a total of 8 weeks and like you, I'm not spending 4k to switch it to a regular suspension system/shocks. My advice to you is get rid of the car BEFORE it starts riding like mine, at which point you'd take a huge hit when trading it in. I'm getting a new car (will probably go back to a Toyota 4-Runner) and my husband will keep mine as he drives a whopping 2k miles a year. Good luck to you!
  • stonewallstonewall Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your input....sadly in these times I guess we both take a hit,
    Lexus is going to be hearing from me lots, and your experience adds to building a case for commonality. One would ask, why did they only offer the leveling system in 2004? They knew.
    I like your 4-runner idea...
    Thanks.
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    The Edmunds Maintenance Schedule for the RX330 shows oil changes at 7500 mile intervals. My service manual says 5000.

What gives?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Seems like all Toyotas and Lexuses went to 5,000 mile intervals after the sludge/gelling debacle back in '02.

Please report it so the data people back in the home office can check it out. Thanks!
    OK! I reported it!
    Below is the reply I got from Edmunds. As you can see, they are INSISTING that the normal oil change interval is 7500 miles and claiming the manual says such...and that the manual differentiates between "normal" conditions and severe useag. Mine manual says NO SUCH THING. And the scheduled service "book" shows a place for the dealer to confirm an oil change (plus whatever else) every 5000 miles. No where, anywhere, is there any mention of any sort of 7500 mile schedule, under ANY condition.

Am I crazy? I need more support here guys so they can see they are posting wrong info. Here is what Edmunds said:

Thank you for contacting Edmunds.com.

The frequency of service depends on your individual driving conditions. Our Maintenance Guide is based on "Normal" driving conditions. Here is an excerpt from the 2006 Lexus Maintenance Guide:

Depending on your circumstances, you should obtain maintenance for your Lexus every 5,000 miles or every 7,500 miles. Follow these guidelines to determine which interval to use.

5,000-Mile Intervals
    Use 5,000-mile intervals if you primarily operate your vehicle under any of the following conditions:
    - Driving on unpaved or dusty roads.
    - Towing a trailer or using a camper or car-top carrier.
    - Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below freezing.

7,500-Mile Intervals
    Use 7,500-mile intervals if you primarily operate your vehicle under conditions other than those listed above.

Most drivers will operate their vehicle in "Normal" conditions (the 7,500-Mile Interval conditions in this case). However, if you are driving in more severe conditions, including those not listed above, you may consider following the 5,000-Mile interval.

I hope this information was helpful to you. Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Edmunds.com Customer Support
    www.edmunds.com
    Where smart car buyers start®
  • football247football247 Member Posts: 2
    Who paid for window replacement??
  • sltpigsflysltpigsfly Member Posts: 16
    Lexus paid for it as a warranty item.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I've only had this happen two times in the three years that I've had my'07 RX. Luckily, I wasn't on a busy road and would pull off to the side of the road and turn the car off and turn it back on, and then it was fine, and all of those lights would turn off. Must be an ocassional computer glitch or something.
  • rvm1rvm1 Member Posts: 15
    Mine have been going on for over a year and a half now. All idiot lights suddenly come on. I turn the engine off and it clears itself and when I restart they are fine. This is now beginning to happen more frequently. Its worth noting that my daughter has an 04 Sienna van with the same power train and she has the same problem only not as frequently. I suspect that this is a systemic problem but have not found any TB's on this issue. I also suspect that Toyota has probably done a masterfull job at concealing this as they seem to do on most systemic problems that could require a substantial number of no charge fixes.
    Remove the batteyr connections and clean and burnish the posts and connections. If the problem continues replace the battery. So much on-board electronics these days more sensitive to low battery voltages.
    I can not put more than 17 gallons of gas in our RX330 no matter how dry it is. The owners manual says 19 gallon. Is it possible that FWD tank holds 19 gallons and AWD version can only hold 17?

Joe
    Battery is only 11 months old. Its a top of the line battery and the post connections are always kept clean. Ditto on my daughters Sienna. Still think its a systemic problem and would like to know if anyone elses has this issue on either the van or the RX.
    The fill tube into the tank is intentionally designed to be somewhat below the top of the tank. On the chance gasoline expands there is room. Pumping gas from underground into a tank with the OAT above 100F.....
    "...11 months old..."

Batterys are subject to infant failure as are all electric, electronic components. Or maybe you alternator is only charging the battery "just enough".
  • rickegirlsrickegirls Member Posts: 3
    I am considering purchasing a pre-owned 2006 rx330 and have been reading the posts here to get an idea of the problems with this vehicle. The majority of the issues seem to be with the 2004 model year. Have most of these bugs been worked out by 2006 or am I in for more headaches than I need. I love this car, but have been driving a 2003 Explorer (107,000 miles) and have had 0 problems with it. I am a widow and don't have anyone to work on it and really need a reliable vehicle. Any reassurances or should I keep looking. The 2006 has only 35,000 miles on it.
  • mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    I would not hesitate to buy that car assuming that there are no known problems with it. . I have a 2004 RX 330 which I have driven all up and down the East Coast and it has been absolutely flawless--58K miles so far. Absolutely no problems, no warranty work needed and expect to have it to at least 100K miles. Also had RX 300 which was flawless. Keep in mind that, although this is a very worthwhile forum for deseminating information it also tends to deal with problem cars to the exclusion of trouble free cars which I believe are the norm. Best of luck.
    Lexus RX330s are decent vehicles. We had a 2001 RX300 and currently have a 2004 RX330 AWD. Both excellent and reliable. Check for evidence of regular maintenance and ensure it has not been in any accidents. If both check ok, go ahead and buy.

The RX330/350 is one of the most reliable, well built, well appointed luxury rides out there. I bought a 2004 for my sister in 2006, and last year bought a 2004 for my wife. The luxury, soild build/feel, and smoothness will spoil you.

Joe
    Thank you so much for your responses! I have done a great deal of research and I really believe the Lexus is the best car for my money and it is great to have that feeling confirmed. I can't wait to get behind the wheel!
    Your Explorer is a "base" RWD vehicle, even if it only has RWD the driving dynamics will differ radically from a FWD or F/awd vehicle. If your Explorer has any additional drive modes, AWD/4WD, then the RX will not, CAN NOT compare.

With the Explorer if you happen to inadvertently use too much engine torque for roadbed conditions you will still have front traction with which to maintain directional control. With the RX's front torque biasing it will ALWAYS be the front wheels that first lose traction in this instance and absent TC intervention you will also have lost directional control.

That's why you will find TC, Traction Control, so horribly aggressive in the FWD or even the F/awd version of the RX, or any base FWD vehicle for that matter. Once the front wheelspin/slip is detected, the very instant front wheelspin/slip is detected, TC will dethrottle the engine and apply braking to the slipping wheel(s).

Meaning, in most cases....YOU'RE STUCK....!!

Public outcry about this shortcoming has been so widespread that later models, perhaps this one, have a TC off function. But it is worth keeping strong in mind that with TC turned off the RX may instantly become a horribly DANGEROUS vehicle when operating on the slippery stuff.
    I don't want to rain on your parade but this has been my personal experience. Had moisture penetration to the inside of the HID headlights while my 04 was under warranty. They replaced both at no cost under warranty. Two years later and just after the warranty expired one of those had the same issue. I did some research and found that several other owners had the same moisture problems including an owner of an 06. Lexus refused to do anything about it even though this was an obvious systemic problem. I was able to locate the leaking area and seal it myself to avoid almost $2000.00 for a new headlight.

The random idiot lights turning on are also some sort of Toyota problem on the 04 Lexus and the 04 Sienna. Lexus/Toyota refuse to do anything about it. Although the vehicle drives wonderfully the manufacturer is no better then any other when it comes to owning up to systemic product defects. If you can get some sort of coverage included in your purchase you might want to do so if its at a reasonable price.
    To wwest: Thanks for the heads up. My Explorer has automatic 4 wheel drive. I bought it when I lived in the snow because I almost died on the interstate in a rear wheel drive Mountaineer. My daughter had a front wheel drive Mercury Sable and it handled quite nicely in the snow. However, I now live in California and do not have to worry about snow, ice or even much rain to speak of and when it does rain in California I just stay off the roads because people here are CRAZY when it rains!!!!

To rvm1: I have read about the headlight moisture issue and also about some issues with the "idiot" lights. Would it be wise to go ahead and seal them as a preventative measure or just wait and see if it happens? I will keep those things in mind and make sure I buy a certified Lexus with a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty so they will be covered.

Thanks for your input! I really love the vehicle and understand that there are issues. Just hope the good outweighs the bad.
  • lexluthorlexluthor Member Posts: 48
    I'm getting CD Error 4 on my 2004 RX330. It happened once in a while and sometimes came back after turning the car off and back on. Now, it's stuck as Error 4.

What are some things I can try to get this working again?

Are there instructions anywhere for a manual eject?

If there's really nothing I can do, can I at least get at the CD holder to remove my CDs? How hard is it to get in there?

I'm not really looking to get it fixed (I saw on here that Lexus wants $800 or something) and I'm not even looking to put in a 3rd party CD player. I can live without the CDs for now, I just want to get my CDs out and maybe just try a few things that might have some sort of chance at getting this working again.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the How to Remove a Stuck CD guide.

One CarSpace member got rid of an ERR message by cleaning the lens and demagnetizing the head.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    Back a few years ago I was one of the ones posting here about the rear wiper not clearing very well, missing the top 3" or so. My dealer had replaced my blade (maybe arm too, not sure) and it had been OK. Now we live in snow country and I wanted to replace my blade so I bought a new Anco at the parts house and went to install it but the arm is kind of a non-standard. None of the adaptor clips in the blade package helped.

I hate to replace the arm but I guess that's my next step. Any other ideas or am I just too dumb to figure out the blade.

Thankd

easypar
  • onyxoneonyxone Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2006 rx 330. I love it. Its very dependable and comfortable. I take pride in people telling me how beautiful it is. I am glad I own it.
  • rockymtn330rockymtn330 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a used 2005 RX330. Went to fill-up w/ gas the first time & noticed when putting the gas pump nozzle in, there was no little spring-loaded "door" to get the nozzle past. Is this normal? Every car I've ever owned had a "little door" in the filler area to push the gas nozzle through before pumping. And if this is missing, is it probably sitting in my fuel tank? Thanks!
  • nanllynnanllyn Member Posts: 2
    I only have about 3 weeks left of my warranty. I bought this car used at a Lexus dealer. It was 2 years old with $59,000, so I got a good deal because of the mileage. I put so little miles on it it only has $79,000 now.
    When I bought it it had a bad headlamp with water in it. I insisted that it be taken care of before I purchased it as well as take care of the chips and dings in the car. Neither were taken care of but I was promised it would be taken care of with my warranty and Lexus would not do it before I bought it. Luckily they changed the headlamp without out too much hassle but the would do nothing about the chips. Mine isn't too bad anyway so I can live with it.
    My problem since day one is a whistling on the top of the drivers door. The molding
    "sticks" to the windows. To the point in the summer time (when I don't use the windows much) they pull hard and "pop" to wind them down. You can see a line of black rubber on both front windows. I've had it in 5 times in 3 years to fix it. But they always say they reconditioned the seal and I shouldn't have any problem. It is never fixed. From the moment I get it back I can still hear the whistling noise. It is at the top back corner of the drivers door so it is right in your ear. Anyway, has anyone had this problem and if so what did they do to fix it.
    Like I said I only have 3 weeks to get all fixed.
    The only other problem is in the winter time (and one time in the summer) my nav system would not come on. It kept saying something like "Error code 3 (or whatever it was I don't remember)" and it would not come up. This has happened several times with the nav system. Is this something that would be covered by warranty? I have never taken it in for that as it is so sparatic.
    I'm considering keeping this car as I love it and have had very little problem with it. Replaced one battery but that wasn't a big deal.
    I'm looking at buying a 3rd party extended warranty (my boss owns a used car lot so I'm confident I'm not being ripped off).
    I'm just a little scared of repair costs as our financial status has changed drastically since buying the car. I can't afford very expensive repairs now. But as I said it has been a good car except for thos few minor problems.
    My only other thought is to buy a new 2010 Ford Edge but money wise I wouldn't be saving much on the monthly payment, but i would have a warranty. Just not the quality and build of the Lexus.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated!
    Nancy
  • onyxoneonyxone Member Posts: 3
    This is a great car basically. I think the dealer is messing with you on repairs. I would go to another dealer before warranty expires and get the repairs done.
    Chips are not covered by warranty. Noise in drivers window sounds like there was a incomplete repair from damage to the door. I would strongly suggest a different dealer.
    onyxone wrote; "Chips are not covered by warranty."

That's true enough but it's a failure/lie on the part of the dealer. This is why you NEVER take delivery on ANY vehicle until it is READY/AS AGREED TO. I'm beginning to think this is another sign of the "commoditization" of the Lexus brand. If not the entire brand then at least some of the dealers.

I wrote in another thread that I thought Lexus was going a bit down-market based on looking at the new ES and the attitude/treatment that I received at our local dealership. We puchased our '04 in Austin and had it serviced there until 18 months ago and they always treated us in the "Lexus" style. Our few experiences with Stevinson Lexus (Frederick CO) have left us cold and unimpressed. Enough so that we decided in about 30 minutes that this time out we were NOT buying a Lexus.

easypar
    Find a newly authorized Lexus dealer, especially one in a lowly populated area, and you'll be amazed at how well you are treated.

But on the other hand it is my feeling that the FWD Camry should have NEVER been marketed as a Lexus. Probably wouldn't be except for the need to give Lexus dealers something to sell, the ES250, back in ~1988, until REAL product arrived.
    I searched the posts and didn't see anything on this, other than a lot of early ownership squealing motors. We have a 2004 RX with about 62,000 miles. The fan motor is starting to get just a bit noisy, not squealing, just a bit of "clicking" as if the bearings (bushing) is going out and maybe the squirrel cage is starting to contact its housing.

I haven't taken a look under the dash to see how accessible the motor is, thought I would post here. On my Maximas it was pretty straighforward, just drop the glove compartment and 3 screws, and the motor/fan package was moderately cheap.

I'd like to fix this before it becomes an issue with my wife, she doesn't drive as much as when she first bought this unit and I see no reason to not get 100K/10 years out of it. I'd hate to have that plan go awry because of something relatively cheap. I know it won't be cheap if it's a "dealer-maintenance" item.

Thanks in advance.

easypar
  • lhseddlhsedd Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering if anyone with the transmission noise from the RX 330 ever resolved their issue with Lexus or with the National Center? Please advise.
  • kategoodkategood Member Posts: 1
    That is normal. My 05 is the same way.
  • patrickcscpatrickcsc Member Posts: 4
    The car temp gage is near Hot at the same time little to no heat is generated in the car and the cooling fan comes on. Is this an indication of a bad thermostat? If so, where is the thermostat located on the engine? I need a set of simple removal instructions. Thanks
    We have noticed for a long-time a strange rotten egg smell inside the car only when it is at or near highway speed. The dealer eventually said the catalytic converter was defective and replaced it for a $1800.00 charge. We have now 150K miles on the car and again are noticing the same odor. What is wrong with the converters? Why do they not seem to last for more than approx 70K miles. Is there another option to replacing it with yet another converter? Can the converter be eliminated? Is it related to driving habit or grade of fuel?
    The thermostat is on the right side of the engine, right where the starter is. Follow the lower radiator hose that connects to a long metal tube that the other end of it become the thermostat housing cover. You need to REMOVE the starter!! to get to the housing bolts.

This is such a crappy design for a thremostat housing. I have the shop manual CD that shows the steps. I have never replaced ours though. I have replaced several thermostats before but none have seemed this complicated.

Joe
    Thanks Joe for your quick reply. I will attempt this repair and let you know how it goes.
    Remove the air cleaner (all plastics completely moved aside). You then have direct access to the thermostat housing's 3 metric nuts using a deep socket and extension. The housing can be removed without removing the starter. The lower hose's "straight pipe" can be pulled or worked from the thermostat housing and easily pushed back into place as the last step of the replacement process. Total replacement time approx 2 hrs. Be very careful to not over-torque the housing nuts upon re-installation. Medium complexity. Thanks Joe for your help in identifying its location. Worth the effort.....Lexus wanted $230 labor. Part cost $10.99 AutoZone.
    Last year, I noticed a little leak on the side of the radiator. I sprayed the side, cleaned it, and refilled the reservoir. Knowing that wiping and refilling it, won't fix it, I let it go and watched both the radiator side and coolant level.

Last week, it started to leak more. Now I am in the middle of replacing it. It is amazing how many pieces you have to take out to get to the radiator.

Has anyone had their radiator go bad so soon?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Thanks for your comments and it is good to know you don't have to take the starter out to get to the thermostat.

Joe
    There was a radiator replacement campaign in 05 to replace the radiator due to a cracking condtion that was allegedly more prevalent in the winter climates of northern states. I had mine replaced at no cost even though I live in Florida. On my work order the campaign was identified as 4616H2. The radiator was replaced as well as the coolant. I suggest you contact your local Lexus Dealer. Lexus also send me a letter that extended the warranty on the radiator to 7 years or 90000 miles from the in service date of the vehicle