Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-7X

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The key things that make a car safe are the crumple zones and the design of the car. So since the Malibu and 9-3 (I don't think the 9-5 shares a platform with the Malibu, but correct me if it does) have different structural designs, then they will perform differently in crash tests. Saab invested more $$$ into strengthing the key components that make the car safer than Chevrolet did.

The Malibu and Malibu Maxx are still quite safe though.
  • saaboysaaboy Member Posts: 23
    hmmm, yea. I didn't think about the crumple zones. But I remember reading that the 9-3 AND 9-5 shared the same platform, and went on to read it a couple more times. I thought to myself, how is that possible? Kinda like 3 and 5 series sharing the same platform?
    The current 9-5 shares a platform with an Opel, I think...

It's possible to share a platform between cars of different size classes. The Odyssey, Pilot, MDX, and Ridgeline all share a platform. You can make the frame longer if you want, and cut down on development costs...

The Camry, Highlander, Sienna, and RX330 share a platform...

If you look around and actually think about it, a lot of cars share platforms nowadays, despite being sized differently.

And No, the 3 and 5 Series don't share platforms. BMW has enough $$$ to build seperate ones, but the 5 Series and X5 share platforms, as do the 3 and X3.
  • saaboysaaboy Member Posts: 23
    Yea, SAAB does share wit opel. Ew, all these platfor shareages. Does a civic and a TSX share platforms?
    no. The Acura TSX shares a platform with the European Honda Accord.

The Civic shares a platform with the RSX/Integra.
  • carsareuscarsareus Member Posts: 10
    I saw my first 97x across the street from where I was getting a slice. It looked quite attractive from the front when I walked past it, the saab grill is a great touch. The car just happened to be black. As I am eating my pizza a black trailblazer parks right behind it. An amazing coincidence that proved the overall distaste for design in GM. Saab a company that has always had quite varying designs from the rest has finally fallen victim to the invasion of the GM (car) body snatchers. Check out some pics on carlist.com

chevy = 27,000

saab = 38,000
  • taisautaisau Member Posts: 1
    >Because the alternative would be nostalgia.

Nostalgia would be better.

Nostalgia is inevitable for every make of car, what matters is how it is met.
    Seeing the frankenSaabs on the road for a few more sad years has now taken most of the nostalgia away from me. These simply are not saab cars. Why do so many people pretend they are by even making reference to the past? The name was bought in order to sell other cars.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    He says its important to build Saabs with Saab character.

Hmmm...

Where does that leave the 9-2X and 9-7X?
    lol, I thought about highlighting the last paragraph of the story, but I figured it'd get noticed soon enough. At least the character issue is on the table.

Steve, Host
    And it seems like they have a plan, and they don't seem to want to shut down the Trollhattan plant, which are good things...
  • mistermarkmistermark Member Posts: 1
    All I can Say is:

Not Good, especially when Lexus, Volvo, and Acura all make safer SUVs.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    Mildly curious to check it out. (I currently have a 9-5 Arc wagon with the discontinued v6). I drove the v6 version. The engine strains when you push it. My 200 horse v6 with a turbo is much more effortless on acceleration. And man, do you feel every bump in the road, almost worse than my wagon. The one thing I truly don't like about my saab is the road vibration. The 9-7x dampens the vibration on the steering wheel nicely, though and overall , it is quieter. It handled fairly well, though I think I detected a slight shimmy when I went over certain bumps. They tried to make it sporty like the saab, which can be a good thing and a bad thing depending on what you like. Tight supsension (maybe too tight?), tight though smooth steering.
    The interior is nice enough. Comfy seats, nicely padded steering wheel, much nicer armrest and hey, they threw in an extra cupholder! But in the back, the cupholders are on the back of the center console near the floor, useless to my 5 year old son sitting in his carseat. I like my rear seat armrest with the cupholders that slide out. The 9-7 is quieter than my wagon, in terms of road noise, thanks to laminated glass.
    Rear visibility was not good thanks to the small rear window, small mirror and wide pillars on the back.
    As for the room, they claim it's 80.1 cu feet with the rear seats folded down, about 6 cu feet more than the wagon. It doesn't really feel any bigger though, and the cargo area is definitely shorter in length. Guess they make up for it in height. The rear seat area is quite roomy, they probably get some space there.
    In the end, I don't think I'd own one. But at least I gave it a shot.
  • cohenfivecohenfive Member Posts: 85
    i hate to say but i agree with you. if saab can't stand on their soapbox and talk about the safety of their vehicles then they have very little to talk about. very disappointing...
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    where did everyone go????

I guess not many care about the 9-7X.
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    It also appears that dealers don't stock them.
    it also appears that the general public doesn't care at all about this car.

Dealers don't either. Only GM Corporate cares about it.

It actually looks OK, but I wouldn't pay $40,000 for it. I'd pay maybe $31-$33,000 tops. Plus since its truck-based, and only seats five, its off my list. (not too worried about the truck based part, but combine that with relatively low MPG numbers, and well... might as well get the Odyssey)
  • stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    I think this vehicle will be a failure. Haven't seen any on the road and one local dealer only has 1. I own a 9.5 and just leased a new Freestyle (after considering Pilot and XC90). I wanted to consider this vehicle but given its configuration (as you mention truck based and no 3rd seat, I have three kdis) I didn't. I can't wait any longer for Saab to get with the progam. Where does this truck fit in the market - most others have 3rd seat option?

My whole feeling on this is that GM stopped selling Izuzu in Canada and I think given the lack of attention the dealers give Saab, I think they will be next - and that is unfortunate!
    My first impression was that this vehicle was sort of a placeholder pending the 9-6. See Saab 9-6 (based off Subaru B9 Tribeca).

Any you may be interested in this discussion:

The Future of Saab?

Steve, Host
    GM Cancels Saab 9-6X (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    Same here. I need something with room for 7 when relatives visit so we can all be in 1 car.

I'm fine with the truck based thing. I just need 3 rows of seats and good MPG.

The 9-6X would have solved the problem, but GM is calling it quits and the 9-6X was aborted.

I would have loved to own a Saab 3 row crossover.

I'll be looking at a minivan/Freestyle/Pilot/ possibly XC90 then.

Guess we're in the same boat. I've never owned a Saab before, but I like them, and so does my son. We'd hate to see Saab die. :(
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    You have to watch the 3 row vehicles to make sure row 3 can actually hold adults. Make sure you climb back there and see with rows 1 and 2 in a normal position.
    Most of the times I'll put the kids/teens back there and have the adults sitting towards the front.

Although in my Odyssey its not really a problem...
    silence
    No one has submitted a rating or Consumer Review either (link at the top). It's on the chopping block in mid-2007 - better go buy one since it's going to be a rare bird.

Steve, Host
    Are the forums not as active as they have been in the past? It seems to me that there are less posts than there used to be. Either that or the topics that I track have lost some enthusiasm.
    Nope, still going strong. Maybe you just follow the orphan cars, lol.

Some of your perception may be because SUV sales are down so new owners posting in SUVs may be down. The buzz is around the new Civic and lots of folks are talking about whether GM will go banko. The Hybrid Vehicles discussions are really hot too.

Everything goes in cycles. :shades:

Steve, Host
    Perhaps it and the 9-2X will be collectables someday... The only Saabs that looked SO much like thier counterparts.
  • ynotnyynotny Member Posts: 3
    I bought my Saab after waiting for a year and passing on the Jeep GC (which I could have gotten at dealer price). I THOUGHT it would be a GREAT CAR. WAS I wrong!. This car has been a bomb from the beginning. First my father was the project engineer on the F-14 from it's inception So much for born from aircraft engineers.. he hates it. you should hear his comments. I bought it for it's supposed sportiness, but I can get my 77 merc 280 sl convert to 80 without a glance and feel safe. This thing can barely hit 65 without me feeling like I'm pushing a tank...and all at an ave. 11.5 a gallon.. oh and 14.3mpg on a long haul hwy drive. FORGET the cargo space of 80 cubic INCHES which is another reason I bought it... it doesn't even fold down flat and the headrests are in the way. and that extra cup holder must have been designed by the the son of the owner or head designer because no competent designer would have allowed it. Mine broke in 48 hours. And there is NO room for anything like change or a large cup in the cup holder when the car is in park. In fact there is NO flat surface anywhere for change or glasses or your phone or well.... anything... do not try to work from this car... no place for your computer. And folks check with the dealer on a regular basis. He MIGHT tell you of all the recalls and problems, because this is the eqivilant of Bill Gate's version of a new version of Window's and then waiting to see what patches will be necessary and so far there have been many including finding my car swamped after a particularly heavy rain...with the rain on the INSIDE, which no one at SAAB said was possible until the dealer received a fax saying... OH BY THE WAY..... and there were more....yup...Bomb....and no way to get out of it..I can't afford to loose the money by trading it in so soon, so I am STUCK....I didn't wasn't to post this to let any potential sucker I might want to sell it to to know what a bomb he would be inheriting but hey the truth is the truth, so I am warning any potential buyers to BEWARE. I hate this car...my jaguar was a dream car compared to this THING.. and don't get me started on the dealership!
    Bummer. You can be the first to rate this vehicle, if you want to warn those who don't visit the forums. The link is at the top of the posts.

Hope next year is a better one for you and the 9-7x.

Steve, Host
    Bummer. Perhaps your car is a lemon and that you might try pursuing a buyback from GM through Lemon Law.

Keep in mind this isn't a real Saab and that it is assembled with it's GMT360 counterparts in Moraine, Ohio.
    Maybe. But like many collectables, will need to go through heavy depreciation first.
    True. But if you can take the hit short term in return for the pride of having a rare automobile in the long term, it may be worth it. (or if you have lots of cash to dispose of and want to get something)
    Sure. If the car is working for you why sell if you are taking a big hit. Might as well keep it and hope for the best.

I have this dilemma with my 9.5. Have three cars (plus 1 restoration project) and looking at getting rid of the 9.5 but the resale is so low might just polish it up park it in the garage and take it out on weekends - rather than give it away. My oldest boy is only 4 yrs from driving and what teenager wouldn't want to drive a Saab?

Will never be a collector car but might invoke some comments like 'Saab - what is that?'
    Might as well. How much more per year would it cost to keep it running? Insurance, gasoline, and what depreciation is left. Sure beats selling it. At least now you'll have a backup car.

I'm keeping my Civic for the same reason. It's a backup. The cost of insuring it, gassing it up, and whatever depreciation is left doesn't cost much, so why not keep it?
  • jeffw4jeffw4 Member Posts: 1
    Just took delivery of a 2006 9-7X. I now have 3 Saabs at home (9-5 wagon, 9-3 and the 9-7X). I believe Saab owners are a breed apart. My first Saab, years ago, was a 900, followed by 2 9000's until my daughter's 9-3.

This is a given; they are quirky, have terrible resale value, are tough to maintain, but I absolutely love to drive them and have enjoyed every Saab.

The 9-7X, so far, is acceptable. I can sense that this is not a true Saab, better a GM clone, but it still manages the Saab feel. The other cars I drove in the class (XC-90, Toureg, and Jeep) where not as comfortable. The Jeep Commander, 7 passenger was a joke. Forget the last row, you couldn't sit in the second row!

You can get "analysis paralysis" buying cars. It still is a "gut" purchase for me and Saabs have treated us well.

As I rack up miles, I will update it's performance.
    I was disappointed with the Commander too this weekend when they displayed it at the mall for people to sample out. That second row is a joke, and getting to that 3rd row is awefully tough.

The Grand Cherokee they had on display felt roomier. Even the Pacifica they had on display (The dealer is a Chrysler-Jeep dealer) felt roomier.

Update us on your 9-7X as time passes.
    You can get "analysis paralysis" buying cars. It still is a "gut" purchase for me and Saabs have treated us well.

How true. Sometimes you just need to drive the car and if it fits your needs and feels right - go for it.
  • reservecabreservecab Member Posts: 5
    I am about to lease a 9-7X for my wife. Any advice on whether I should get her the 4.2 or 5.3? The V8's payment will cost me $20 a month more, which isnt much, but will we waste more money on gas driving the 5.3? I would get the 4.2, but I can't stand looking at the 4.2's wheels and think the 5.3 wheels are really cool...not to mention we get the xenons with the 5.3. Any input would be great.
    I would ask myself if those nicer wheels are really worth sacrificing in terms of mileage on the 5.3.

And does anybody really need a 5.3 in a Saab?
  • reservecabreservecab Member Posts: 5
    Apparently, the gas mileage are almost the same for these 2 models. Anyone have the V8 and opinions?
    If the gas mileage is so close I'd probably just get the 5.3 for the extra power
  • stlcarguystlcarguy Member Posts: 30
    First off, sorry you've had so much unhappiness with your 9-7x. Quite Frankly though, most of what you had to complain about (atleast in the first 70% of your post) could have been determined before you signed on the dotted line. As far as "all the recalls and problems" could you get more specific? I've been trying to talk my wife into a 9-7 and would like to know what EXAXRLY your referring to. I was kind of shocked considering the basis for this truck is several years old. All the door and hatch seals are standard GM from the Envoy/Trailblazer/Rainier, so it simply CAN'T be the model across the board that has that leak issue.

Good Luck with your issues!
  • peacefrogpeacefrog Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2006 9-7x in December. I just picked it up after being in the shop for 3 weeks. Apparently, GM Quality has been having issues with Axle Seals on the Envoy and Trailblazer platform and it took Saab Dealer (not used to dealing with GM supply chain) weeks to figure out how to deal with problem. Car is nice to drive, but the marriage of GM and Saab is not a good one...Get this issue checked out. Process has soured my appeal for the brand...Much like Molson sticks to Beer, Saab should stick to sedans...
  • peacefrogpeacefrog Member Posts: 2
    While my 5.3 was in the shop for 3 weeks the dealer gave me a 4.2 to drive. Gas was not much different around town, if you are ever going to drive it get the v8...worth the $20. If your wife doesn't play keep up with the Jone's or care about brands, the best bet is to get the GM version (Envoy/Trailblazer) and save $100/mo....at least you will have a service team that can fix any problems.
  • imariquinnimariquinn Member Posts: 96
    any updates since you have had the vehicle for 7 months or so?
  • imariquinnimariquinn Member Posts: 96
    did you buy one?
    Interesting. I'd probably declare the XC90 as the winner based on the information presented as I will never get over the fact that beyond a few modifications, the $42,000 9-7X is nearly identical to the $22,000 Chevrolet TrailBlazer my local dealership advertises every week for $18,999.