Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cadillac Owners: Problems & Solutions

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited March 2014 in Cadillac
Cadillac owners of all years and models, share your mechanical expertise.

Comments

• Options
    monkeyman3monkeyman3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, hopefully someone can help... On my 93 Eldorado the parking brake is supposed to be released when you put the car into gear. Problem is, mine is not. I don't know of any manual release to the brake, it always just pops right out when i put the car into Drive. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You know, I don't know this particular model but I'm going to guess that the brake is released by a vacuum diaphragm somewhere right above or connected to the parking brake itself. So i would suspect a vacuum leak (leaking hose) or diaphragm assembly.

You MUST have a manual release in there somewhere.
  • Options
    Well...this is not a job you should tackle unless you have the tools and manuals...SO, I'm NOT giving you advice here on how to fix this, only to mention a few things.

What is probably happening is that on your car the primary brake system and ABS system are not being bleed at the same time. In some early ABS you need a tool (like a meter) to recycle the ABS pump so that all the old fluid and air is purged out of the ENTIRE system. So I think your ABS pump is continually contaminating your brake system because you can't control it.

I don't know what the GM tech was thinking unless you've run your ABS pump while it was dry. That would not be good.

But I don't see why a good GM tech couldn't go through all the bleeding procedures and see what's what from there.
  • Options
    smalldragonssmalldragons Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1999 Seville SLS, 30,000 miles. Yesterday the automatic garage door opener failed to work; the light next to the buttons did not go on and the transmitter failed to open the door.
       This morning, same hour, it's working. This is the second time in about a month for this new, intermittent problem.

Any ideas? Any solutions?
    (I also posted this on the general forum for cadillac).
  • Options
    nickcnickc Member Posts: 1
    I am puzzled by the occasional 'mysteries that happen with this car. On long trips, say 200 miles or more when the car is well warmed up, Cruise control can be off or on, RPM is at about 2675 to 2750, the engine very quickly seems to shut down and restart. So it really like a surge except the RPM's do not go up they go down about 1500 RPM and them the car is back to humming along. It might do this three times in a row over a minute or once every three minutes. Any thoughts? I've noticed at this point if I stop on the side of the road the RPM's will read anywhere from 1500 to 2200 and will only go back to 750 or so if I shut the car down wait a few minutes and then it will be normal for awhile. Thanks for any insight!
  • Options
    jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    The motor will improve mileage after 6000-8000 miles. The car should have synthetic oil in it from the factory if you change it to regular oil it should seat faster that the 8000 miles, but after that I would go back to synthetic. The reason for this is that about 2 years ago they had an problem with the engines using too much oil and they ended up with a new piston and ring combo that takes a little while to seat into the cylinders. The seats are different that the ones in your '01 base Deville. The '04 model has heated and cooled seats, and the way they are designed the cooling fans built into the seat make it a little firmer at first, but they do "break in" so to speak.
  • Options
    tonybosstonyboss Member Posts: 5
    would appreciate any tips/help in solving problem in closing the trunk of my '93 seville sts
  • Options
    im sure i need to replace all four shocks and struts for my '93 seville sts. any tips or suggestion where i should go or what i should do
  • Options
    rob27rob27 Member Posts: 2
    the electronic relay is out this is a expensive part however you can manually reles
    the parking break by pulling a little lever located right next to were the foot lever
    connects to the floor on the right its about 2 inches long pull this forward twards yourself and it will release.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Overtightening the lug nuts has nothing to do with heating and cooling. If you don't tighten them properly it'll actually BEND (warp) the rotors. Some cars are very touchy on this.
  • Options
    chuck46chuck46 Member Posts: 6
    I am trying to convert the system over to the with a retro-fit kit. I have searched high and low for the lower pressure valve. Can't locate it. There is one that I did find, but that seems to be the high-presure outlet. HELP. TY for anything you can tell me.
  • Options
    snygaardsnygaard Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same trouble with my 91 cadillac eldorado. Cannot find the low side. Anyone help with this would be appreciated.
  • Options
    FOUND IT AFTER A LOT OF SEARCHING, It was right there on the dryer . Completeted conversion and ac is working fine now. Feel around the dryer and it might be there .
  • Options
    I want to change the brakes on this car, the right rear has something different than the left one , what is that covering the brake? Is there something different about how you do that 1 wheel?
  • Options
    bflinnbflinn Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1978 cad and somtimes it backfir when I excilerate fast orwhen its cold it willbackfires.some times when turning a corner, I changed plugs wires distribiter and cap. I changed the fuel filter and fuelpump in the tank, I t still backfires,
  • Options
    bspears1bspears1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying to identify 1978 transmission with first gear ratio of 2.48:1, and 1979 transmission with first gear ratio of 2.74:1.Your help on model numbers and identification lables and numbers would be appreciated. Thank you. :confuse:
  • Options
    weman27weman27 Member Posts: 7
    I am thinking about buying a '99 Seville SLS w/ 85K, seems to be in good shape. Are there any obvious warning signs I should look for that could lead to costly repairs ?
    Any comments or guidance would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Yes, oil burning. I would do a cylinder leakdown test for sure.
  • Options
    bspears1bspears1 Member Posts: 2
    No takers!! Thanks, any way. :surprise:
  • Options
    oldschoolfoololdschoolfool Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1954 four door cadillac it only moves in low gear and reverse i found a transmission from a 1961 cadillac will it fit in my 54 cadi
  • Options
    Not even close!

The 1954 used a bulletproof HEAVY four speed Hydramatic.

In 1961, they were using a POS transmission called a Roto Hydramatic also known as a "Slim Jim". It won't fit.

Try to find an "old timer" in a transmission shop who can overhaul the transmission you have in your car. Do NOT go to one of the "chains" for this!
  • Options
    bvnljbvnlj Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help with some info?
    I have a 1994 Cadillac De-ville with a 4.9 V8. When motor is warm and I accelerate or backing off the accelerator it makes a rattle noise (sounds like valves). the noise sounds like we are using cheap gas but we only put in premium. The car runs great with lots of power, but the noise is annoying. Took it to the dealer and they had me do an "upper engine clean-out" and that solved it for a little while but it has come back. My question is, what is an "upper engine clean-out" and can i do it my self or is their someting else I can do myself to reduce the noise?

Thanks for the help
  • Options
    Rislone Concentrate in your oil and go drive the car...HARD! Don't abuse it but do wind it out in gear. Take it out of overdrive and take it on the freeway to build up some RPMS.

Your engine sounds like it's carboned up.

I am a non believer in oil additives but I have seen Rislone work many times.
  • Options
    now hold on there...how is an OIL additive going to help carbonization in the combustion chamber?

And I'm not sure this is his problem anyway....you never get pinging when backing OFF the gas pedal.

I think folks are on a wild goose chase here, if the symptoms are being correctly stated.

I think he might have an exhaust leak.
  • Options
    symphonicrock1symphonicrock1 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a sedan deville w/ a 4.9 and have had the same sound, mainly during revving when I'm in neutral. We have discovered a leak around or in the catalytic converter, and are pursuing repair options now. I will repost with future findings. My transmission Hesitates and clunks when I take off from a stop with any speed. I have had a couple people tell me that it is normal for a FWD V8, but I am unsure of this analysis and would like another opinion. I am aware that the tranny needs service, but can anyone help me predict if I need to get immediate attention for this.
  • Options
    willis1willis1 Member Posts: 1
    Can anybody direct me where I can obtain an wiring harness for a 96 Northstar V8 engine.
    This engine is build into a Lamborghini kitcar, and the wiring harness has been butchered. Many wires are completely missing, AC, Speedodomer wire, temperature wire, MAF sensor wiring, I can go on and on with this.

Thanks
  • Options
    symphonicrock1symphonicrock1 Member Posts: 3
    I just acquired a '91 Sedan Deville with 143k miles and I have noticed some transmission noises. Predominantly when I accelerate quickly, on the attack the car hesitates for a fraction of a second and then it knocks. Not a loud knock, but you can feel and hear it grab. A friend told me that that is normal for FWD V8s and it was no big deal, but I want other opinions. Please advise.
  • Options
    riannkiriannki Member Posts: 2
    Out of the blue, my ETC with 52k miles on it has something draining the battery. I replaced the battery, only to find the same thing happening again. The dome lights come on, but it won't turn over. Yesterday, I opened the driver door and there were no dome lights and a "clicking" sound coming from the rear of the vehicle for a few seconds, then the dome lights came on, and the clicking stopped. Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated..........also, this car is rarely driven, it is my Sunday car.
  • Options
    raj8raj8 Member Posts: 1
    I have installed new alternator and battery. I had the starter ck ok.Now it is getting to me. The car runs on battery draining it real fast.It seems to start when it wants to. I should explain,turn on the key to start and all you hear is a click, the starter does not run.If you play with it for a while or just leave it, it starts up ok but may or may not start again for a while.The alternator is not charging the battery also.
  • Options
    kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    Hi, my coworker said that his 99 Cadillac Deville's battery died a few times and once he got "system shutdown" he wasn't able to get out of the car and had to have someone open the door from outside. This happened to him over the summer and 2 weeks ago. Now I'm thinking why would they make cars like that where you can't get out if the battery dies? Is this a fact or is his car just defective?

Thanks.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A tv reporter is hoping to talk with someone who wants to purchase a Cadillac. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info by May 31, 2005.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    cciovaccocciovacco Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to replace a A/C Low Side Temperature Sensor on a 1999 Cadillac Seville SLS. I have the message code of DTC B1321 from the diagnostic system. I also get the "SERVICE AC SYSTEM" from the Driver Information Sensor. I have put a gauge on the A/C system and the pressure is well within normal range. Any advise on where to find the A/C Low Side Temperature Sensor, how to replace it, and what GM Part Number to order would be greatly appreciated - Thanks in advance! Chris in Atlanta :confuse:
  • Options
    svansvan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 DeVille, with 4,575 miles. The check tire monitor keeps coming on. I've taken it to the dealer 5 times, once they said a valve was broken, then they put more air in all the tires. It just comes back on. When the message comes on the the Info Center said at one point, that the PSI was okay, another time the PSI for all 4 tires was different. I'm getting different answers every time, but the problem is not being fixed, and I'm unsure if I now trust any of the other 'computer' generated messages. Dealership says fixed after each trip (5) but it's just come on again - now PSI does not register any thing on the Info Center. Do I have the computer disconnected, or put air in my tires every week? I'm 62 and feel I am just getting the run around. Anyone else have this problem with the message coming on? I do not know what to try next.
  • Options
    ccjjccjj Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for some help. This morning when I went to start my 1990 Cadillac Deville it started sputtering and would start then stall. The onboard diagnostic is reading "No Cam Reference Signal from Ignition Control Module". As I drove to my doctors appointment the car stalled out while going 40 mph, I put it in neutral and was able to restart to make it to my destination. But it keeps stalling out. Is this something I can fix myself? If not, how much would a repair like this cost? Has anyone had to fix this on their Caddy Deville? Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
  • Options
    bgooderbgooder Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 2004 Escalade in August of last year (2004) with P26570417 Goodyear Wrangler HP tires. In the Fall I had a flat tire (right rear) that was caused by a rock puncture. On June 14, 2005 I got in my car to go to work and the right front tire was flat (another rock puncture). On June 21, 2005 I went out to get in my car and go to work.....the left rear tire was flat (another rock puncture). Of course, at this point no one will admit to a problem. So far I've had to pay for a new set of tires. Has anyone else had this problem with these tires??

bgooder
  • Options
    nonedarenonedare Member Posts: 2
    Your note was last month, but if you are still looking to buy I have a suggestion. There is an extensive computerized system in these cars that detects and reveals systems that do not work correctly or not at all. They also indicate service that is required "soon" on systems that still work but need attention. The owners manual gives some idea how to call up these trouble codes and other info, but it is not easy. Many of the manuals are available as pdf files on the internet if you can't find a hard copy. Having another Cadillac owner help you would be useful.
  • Options
    sen69sen69 Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Concours has two very bad rattles from under car . It sounds like exhaust pipe or muffler,but is not.I just replaced strut mounts to no avail.any help?
  • Options
    debsdigsdebsdigs Member Posts: 1
    Coolant temp indicator comes on when driving uphill. Have checked coolant, engine oil and coolant fans. All seem okay. Found previous owner has altered the pipes to the heater matrix. Alteration doesn't make sense, is possible that coolant flow through engine not correct. Any ideas?
  • Options
    stilesstiles Member Posts: 6
    Seems there are a couple of people out there who are from another planet, two of these talk about voice commands in the 2005 STS, (other than the on-star phone or navigational system) there are no Voice commands in this model! Another talks of AC seats, other than the dimpledseats that allow air to circulate) there is no such thing as AC in the seats only heated seats. We checked this with the dealers and Cadillac, what dreamworld are Ambler and McShane from?
  • Options
    jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    I'm from planet earth brother. Could NOT care less where you came from. Regarding cooled seats? I was ASKING about how they function. You call them ventilated which is probably a more descriptive word, in that the seats just blow cool air. Regarding the voice commands that the one guy remarked on, I did NOT know what he was talking about either. That's why I asked. If you don't know the answer and/or a curious you ASK. That's exactly what I did. Not to you though, I do not LIKE "mouths" who poke fun at others via their PC. Get a life slick, then clam up.
  • Options
    J101J101 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    Could any of you please help me? I would appreciate It if anyone could post (pdf.) or post a file on detailed info. with illustrations on installing the rear disk pads on my 96 deville, or direct me to a possible webb page that may show that in detail. I would like to do it myself, but it dose not seem as easy as the front disk pads. I know this seems like a simple question, but I want to make sure I don't mess up all the cables. Thank you.
  • Options
    lrichelriche Member Posts: 1
    I have the opportunity to purchase a 2002 DTS that is in excellent condition, however the car has 105k miles. Does anyone have experience with the durability of Caddys or some advice.
  • Options
    That's awfully hard to predict on a three year old car as so few have gotten to very high mileage yet.

If I were you I'd think of it as if it were a human being with a certain life span. Most modern cars, if given good maintenance, have a likelihood of lasting up to around 175,000 to 225,000 before they become really serious money sponges.

So you might conclude that at the very best, one half your car's life (at least) is over, perhaps as much as 65% of it is "spent". So you should purchase the vehicle accordingly.

Or to put it another way, if I told you my "engine blew up" at 75,000 miles, you'd find that unusual and say "what a shame". But if I started complaining to you that my engine blew up at 150,000 miles, you might say "well what can you expect?"

See my point? After 100K, just about anything can happen to any car.

If you have a luxury car out of warranty, you are, by definition, in high risk territory. So the question of whether it is "worth the risk" depends on what amount of money you are gambling.

You should use edmunds.com True Market Value pricing (punch the "used cars" button up top of this page) to help you come to some ballpark figure of the car's worth. I'd even bid lower than what Edmunds says.
  • Options
    noshanknoshank Member Posts: 2
    Just leased a 05 SRX with voice recognition navigation that doesn't work right. It gets the command wrong the majority of the time. I was first told that Cadillac showed ten other vehicles with the same problem, but they didn't have a fix. Dealer then agreed to put a new unit in the car. That didn't help. Anyone have a similar problem? Anyone have a voice recognition system that works properly?
  • Options
    csg2csg2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 Concorse. After starting my car, the monitored systems check said my trunk was open, it was not. I opened and closed it and the message remained. I hit the information button and the message went away and has not so far returned. But now, after shutting the car off, the things that use to remain on for ten minutes (radio, wipers, etc.) shut off immediately with the key. any ideas what may have happened here? Everything else seems to be working ok.
  • Options
    csg2csg2 Member Posts: 2
    Well, now it seems that the car thinks the trunk is open all of the time. I guess that would explain why everything shuts off with the key now. The car thinks I popped the trunk and shuts down everything. One thing I now noticed that does not seem to be working is my keyless entry. It won't lock or unlock the doors or open the trunk.
  • Options
    blackwidow98blackwidow98 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I am new here and just thought I would post a question that has me quit puzzled. I have a 98 STS that when you are sitting still steering the car back and forth sends the front of the car up and down. To make matters worse the car feels like the whole front end is loose when you are driving down the road. The car does this mainly on the left side. I would appreciate any insight to this problem. Thanks
  • Options
    will4857will4857 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 Sedan Deville. I have no heat or a/c. The climate control cluster does not show outside/inside temperature. Fan/defogger do not work. Fuses are ok. What is my problem?
  • Options
    Mr Shiftright, please help me with my problem. Im having a hard time starting my 93 cadillac seville sts whenever i have to restart the car. It starts with just a click in the mornings after it has sat overnite. I thought of replacing the fuel pressure regulator as it seemed to get flooded after a few miles of driving. When I opened the engine cover, I saw that the tip of the fuel pressure regulator is not attached to a vaccum line and that the nearby MAP sensor does not have a vaccum line connected to it either, is this usual or what? Also, when I attempted to start the engine without the cover, it came with a very loud roar and i seemed like the engine was surging without stepping on the gas pedal. I also noticed that gas was coming out of the tip of the fuel pressure regulator. What do you think of this and what should I do to check the problem? Thanks in advance

Tony Boss
  • Options
    beats me, I'm not a mechanic. But maybe or can help you when they show up here. If you don't get a response in a couple days, try to re-post this in a forum called "Technical Questions" which you can find by using the "Search Forums" window just to the left of my post here, or e-mail me and I'll tell you how to find that topic.

MrShiftright
This discussion has been closed.