Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mcdermott2mcdermott2 Member Posts: 68
    $4000 seems really high for a lease. I was told you could take the cash part out of the inception fees and work it into the monthly payment. That would lower your total out of pocket. Can this be done?
    Has anyone heard what deals are coming in August? Money back etc...
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    I have no clue, but after seeing the numbers yesterday where Toyota is eating the lunch of Ford and GM, I'm guessing they will have to come up with something good.

As long as Ford and GM insist on keeping their silly MSRP levels where they are, then you will continue to see ads in the paper that read $4,000 - $12,000 off MSRP.

SUV's have the biggest mark downs these days from what I see in print ads.
    I wish we could get some more people here. I see the Mountaineer everywhere and yet limited info. My wife wants the Pilot and there is more than enough on that forum.
  • macmikeymacmikey Member Posts: 1
    And I really like it. Not sure if I want a newer one as they look a bit boxy. The only problems I have had with mine is 2 recent trips to Ford for replacement of the rear clutches. 2nd time seems to have worked... so far. One other problem, I think plagues most Ford owners, is the radio display now fades in and out and sometimes goes away completely.

Other than that, it is a 5.0l all-wheel drive, has a special trim package...Monterey, rides nice, gets around 15MPG average, and I just really like it.

Mike :)
  • wilsoncatwilsoncat Member Posts: 6
    Well....we went with the Pilot and to be honest, I am glad we did. We really liked the Mountaineer and we were ready to close the deal but it fell through. Good Luck.
    Did you buy or lease? Where from?
  • wilsoncatwilsoncat Member Posts: 6
    Leased. From Baron Honda in NY.
    I hope you do not mind me asking but what were the numbers they gave you? As I said before everyone seems to be buying these and there are no lease numbers to compare.
  • jimjpscjimjpsc Member Posts: 7
    Hi-

I was able to obtain an X-Plan PIN through my wife's employer and wondered if I was better going in with that or first trying for the best deal. I will be looking for a 2007 Explorer. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks
    can't speak for Ford's x-plan, but I have used family pricing from GM and it was pretty much like going through Costco. A nice hagle free price but nothing to write home about. There are always price leaders in the paper that are better.

My opinion is that you can work a better deal if you have some flexibility in what you want and time it right, like the last day of the quarter or month on a car that isn't moving real well e.g. the Ford Explorer.
    anyone have an idea what impact the 0% offer will have on negiating the price of a new Ford?

usually an add will read 'Cash back OR 0% financing' but not both. Although I've seen Subaru affer pretty good discounts in addition to the 0% rate.
  • rocko107rocko107 Member Posts: 3
    Stickered for 39,650 purchaed for 33,400 which included 3,000 in rebates. Vehicle had Leather/Suede dual remote seats with the bumb warmers, Class III/IV tow package, Audiophile 6CD system(sub par in my opinion), Power 3rd row seating, Ultimate convience group, 18" Chrome/Plastic covered wheels, V8, Canopy and I think that was it. Basically we paid $200 over invoice brand new with 30 miles. Hope this helps someone. At this point though folks should consider a 2007 if your purchasing(as I did) unless you want/need the 0 percent financing over the rebates, reason being the 2007 EB model has a retail that is just under $2000 less than the 2006(negating much of the current rebates) and they have a few minor updates, so a 2006 has quite a bit more depreciation built into it already. The dealer invoice for 2007s though only dropped by $1000 so I'm sure the "deal" you get on a 2007 won't be quite the same. The wife and I usually keep our vehicles for 6-7 years so an extra year of depreciation can be made up by keeping the vehicle is good shape so we said what the heck and too the 3K in rebates which I think was a pretty decent deal overall.

Good luck with your purchase....

R.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    Just bought our 3rd. 1996, '02 and new '06. Sticker was $40,975 bought for $37,263 less $500 Ford credit money back at 0% for 5yrs. For 0% financed vehicle + tax and lic. + ESP premium 6/75 plan(which was $1,265 for 0 ded and 1st day rental). Decided to use the money I was paying down for something else at 0%. It is a dark blue EB, V8, safety canopy, Moon roof, Lux. pkg, aux climate ctl, cross rails, rev. sensing, sat. rec., power 3rd row, Ult. Conv. grp. Man O War Ford, Lexington, Ky :shades:
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Hi! Local Mercury dealer has 3 BRAND NEW 2005 Mountaineers on the lot. I am looking at an '05 Convenience 4.0L AWD. Sticker is $32.6K. Any Ideas what a fair price would be on such a vehicle? With $4500 in incentives currently on the '06's, I was thinking that at least $8K if not $9K off of the '05 would be expected. Please let me know what you all think.
    really?
    3 brand new '05's still on the lot? :surprise:

you do know the '06 model has many upgrades on it don't you? I would ask him what the trade in value is for the '05 model. If you can get an honest answer out of him that should tell you a little on where his discount should be - of course factoring in the fact that the vehicle is "new".
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Yes, brand new '05's. Never titled, original window stickers still in the window and "clearance" banners adorning the windshields. I know of the changes to '06+, but thanks for mentioning it :)

I looked at the KBB trade-in for such a vehicle, and it was coming in around $21K for my region. I would assume an uplift of around $2-3K or so due to the fact that it has never been titled and is still technically "new" (even though the '07s are on the lots now).

I guess I will stop by and see what the story is on those units. Thanks!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    don't forget to let us know what you find out.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    We just bought it yesterday. The sticker price was $32,755, but I wrote a check for just $29,422.53 ($26,759.20 plus $2,663.33 for tax, license, and fees). :):) Ford has a $3,500 rebate on the 2006 models. They have a nice selection of 2006 models at Santa Margarita Ford in Orange County, CA. We dealt with Cathy and Christopher in the fleet / internet department.
    Are you saying you will get a check back from Ford for $3,500 in the form of a rebate?

or was that already included in your price of $29,422 before taxes?
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    The $3,500 rebate is included in the $29,422. I signed a form allowing the dealer to receive the rebate check. The price I paid was invoice plus tax, license, and fees, minus the $3,500 rebate. I would have bought it without the $3,500 rebate, but was very happy to learn of the savings. Thank you Ford! :):):):):)
    I guess being happy with your purchase is really all that matters.
    With that said, I'd have to point out to others who are considering a purchase, with the factory giving $3,500 back, the dealer in a sense sold you your car at MSRP.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    The sticker price was $32,755, but I wrote a check for just $29,422.53 ($26,759.20 plus $2,663.33 for tax, license, and fees). Ford has a $3,500 rebate on the 2006 models.

$26,759 selling price
    $3,500 rebate
    $30,259 total

$32,755 MSRP

= $2500 discount, in addition to the $3500 rebate..

He didn't pay MSRP...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

hey my bad

thanks for correcting me
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    enough to point out errors, now I have to know how to add and subtract in order to participate in these forums???...next thing you know you will rekwire me to no how to spel...:):):):):):):)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Hey.... usually I don't even add up the numbers...

Just caught me on a good day.. ;)

regards,
    kyfdx
    (spelling test this Friday.. better study)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    And sometimes, no matter what you do, the numbers don't add up... :confuse: :confuse:
  • bigedfrombkbigedfrombk Member Posts: 21
    I need help. A dealer in my area is selling used 2006 Ford explorer XLT with 18000 miles on it. Only option on vehicle is 6 CD changer. The vehicle looks brand new except for a few minor stains on rear carpeting. It seems this vehicle was purchased from a rental company. Dealer is asking for $18000. Is this a good price? Thank you for a quick response.
  • susanw6susanw6 Member Posts: 32
    Does anybody know how well the Mountaineer leases?
    I am interested in leasing one with leather - no nav or dvd extras, for 3 years with only inceptios out of pocket. Any idea of the monthly? I heard they don't have good resale value, and would therefore not lease well.
    Any info would be appreciated.
  • bkrentzmanbkrentzman Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 explorer XLT that was a rental with 16000 miles from a ford dealer in Tampa. No leather . cargo cover mats and step bars for $18,500 plus dealer fee I had to pay. It looks brand new except a stain on the very rear carpet. At the time it was a great deal. 6 weeks ago. I love it . It is my first suv. I drive it more than my 2006 525 bmw.
    in my area (Northern Calif.), Hertz sells one year old Explorers when they hit around 25k miles. There are two types, both 4x4. One is the XLT with running boards, tow package and cloth seats the other adds leather and a sun roof.

the '05's earlier this year were going for $19,500 and $21,500 respectively - price is fixed.
    I haven't seen the '06 rentals show up yet. I'm guessing the 4x4 rentals don't rack up much milege in the summer time.

you can search hertzcarsales.com inventory for your area on-line.
    I see adds in the Bay Area for '06 Explorers at $8,000 off MSRP. If it covers all '06 Explorers and doesn't require that I serve in the armed forces, having graduated from college this year and have a contracters license, I'd be really interesting to see if I can find one that suits me.

Do the math before you get there.
  • gf2020gf2020 Member Posts: 49
    There does not seem to be too much activity on this message thread, but I figured I would chime in with my recent purchase experience.

Over the holiday weekend I purchased a new, leftover 2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD V8. My wife and I had been looking at some lightly used '06 Ford Explorer Limiteds and the new Mountaineer actually ended up being less expensive than a used Ford.

Our transaction was complicated by the trade-in of our 2002 Ford Explorer XLT V8 with 92,000 miles, but suffice to say, it was pretty straightforward to get the dealer to go about $6000 below invoice with all of the available rebates. Since we plan to keep this SUV for 5 or 6 years, we chose to go with the 0% financing for 60 months so we gave back $4000 in rebates but we were still well below invoice with a fair value on our trade.

Anyone considering a loaded Ford Explorer should really evaluate the Mercury Mountaineer. Many of the options that are still optional on the Explorer Eddie Bauer or Limited are standard on the Mountaineer Premier - back-up sensor and power fold third row seat among them.

Happy New Year!
    thanks for sharing.

can't believe this thread went the entire month of December without one post! :confuse:

do ford explorer buyers use the net?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    maybe not here.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • wintertigerwintertiger Member Posts: 9
    lol. They are on the road all the time.

I have been reading this for like 40 mins but find little info about new otd price.
  • wintertigerwintertiger Member Posts: 9
    Is now a good time to buy? Or should I wait until the summer?
    What's a good price should be? Thanks!
  • newdavidqnewdavidq Member Posts: 146
    Sounds like you got a good deal, gf2020. I am looking at 07 Explorers and have a 2002 xlt 4wd 4.0 w/80000 miles and am wondering what they gave you for your 2002 in trade. I will check out the Mercury M, thanks for the tip.
    Regards, Dave.
  • 12ga12ga Member Posts: 9
    Hello, I ordered a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 from a local dealer on March 28th. I tend to order my vehicles rather than take what's on the lot so that I don't end up paying for options I don't want, and ensure that I get the ones I do want.

I ordered a 4-door 4x4 XLT, dark blue pearl metallic and paid invoice for the base truck ($26,078) and added the following optonal equipment at invoice: power moon roof($723), XLT comfort group($251), 50/50 3rd row seat($744), safety canopy($476), crossbars luggage rack ($97), and all weather mats (47). I also paid delivery of $695, $11 for 5 gal of gasoline and $488 FDAF assessment for a total of $29,610.

The only option that I didn't want, but was told I had to take in order to get the power moon roof was the XLT comfort group.

I chose the low 1.9% APR financing for 48 months over the $2,000 rebate, and also qualifed to receive the $500 New Graduate rebate, as my wife is a recent grad.

Total damage after sales tax ($2,369), Fees, title, registration ($218) and less $500 college grad rebate was $31,697. I was told the vehicle would be delivered in 6-7 weeks.

The experience overall was no-pressure and my only gripe is with paying the FDAF assessment. Perhaps I should have attempted to negotiate that figure down since the dealer was already getting the 3% holdback on a vehicle that wasn't going to spend more than 24 hours on his lot.

Now I have a question with regard to incentives. I noticed that the new financing rate incentive has decreased from 1.9% to .9% for 48 months. Since I haven't taken delivery of the vehicle yet, would I qualify for this new incentive?
  • no1sunnyno1sunny Member Posts: 1
    Which is the better buy? or is it a good buy at all?
    2004 xlt sports package 9,500 miles $17K 6cd changer
    2005 xlt sports package 14,000 miles $17,700 single cd changer. Other than that, both have the same equipment, leather interior and 3rd row seating. and are clean as a whistle.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    I would certainly take evidence of the new rate with you when you pick it up. Practice has always been to give the current rebate on a vehicle, in other words if it got worse then you are SOL, if it's better it is you lucky day. I don't know of a way to lock in incentives, but couldn't swear that it isn't possible.
  • sjmpsjmp Member Posts: 3
    I am in the market for a Explorer. Just not sure if I should go after an 06/07 certified or just get a new 07. What is resonable asking price for an 07 MSRP of 32k. Shouldnt the dealer accept somthing a few thousand below invoice?

Thanks,
  • andy_w1978andy_w1978 Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a certified 2007 Mountaineer Luxury with 14,000 miles this weekend. No too many options and we paid $22,500 plus tax, title, blah blah. Our total rounded us to $24,500. The dealer certified the vehicle for us to get the better rate and extended powertrain warranty.
    I think we saved a few grand as we paid the dealer cost (connections definately help) but if you search around, you can find some used 2007 Mountaineers for under $24k.

To us it made sense to get a certified used vehicle and save $9-11k on the cost of a brand new vehicle. I just couldn't justify buying a new vehicle with such a loss in value the first year when I could pick up something comparable without the new car smell and save a chunk of money.
  • foschusfoschus Member Posts: 3
    I visited a mercury dealer last night to test drive a 2007 Mountaineer. The dealer seemed really straight forward about the price he would sell to me. The offer I have outstanding is good for any vehicle they have in stock or can get through a dealer trade.

He'll give me the vehicle for Invoice price, less the $2,500 manufacturer rebate, $1,000 bonus cash, and he'll kick in $500 of the holdback amount for a total rebate/discount of $4,000 below invoice.

Is this as good of a deal as it seems, or is there some manufacturer to dealer incentive that I don't know about that he's holding back on? I also have a competitive lease incentive offer (My Dodge Ram lease is expiring soon) I received in the mail that will give me $1,000 over and above all other offers.
  • islandguy3islandguy3 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, I have found a 2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 at a local dealership. It is new its MSRP is 42000 I was wondering what I should offer for it. I know there is a 4000 rebate and 1000 in marketing support for ford to the dealer. The Invoice is 39000, Any Ideas I was thinking 10000 of the sticker was a good offer any thoughts thanks to all
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    I noticed, while potentially shopping for a 2008 Mountaineer/Explorer, that the 6 cylinder engine gets exactly the same 13/19 MPG as the 8. Why even MAKE the 6, let alone why buy one?
  • islandguy3islandguy3 Member Posts: 3
    Daryll I couldn't agree more I have begun the process of looking for a midsize suv like the explorer and honda pilot. Why would you buy a v-6 at 14 mpg when the V8 gets 13mpg. I bet the V6 works twice as hard trying to move the truck and at 210 horsepower for the V6 its at the lowside of almost all 6 cyclinders on the market.
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    Actually the V6 is not even 14 but exactly the same 13 as the V8.

We looked at Murano and Edge to save gas. Even those smaller vehicles only get 16 or 17 and Murano requires premium to get the 17. Explorer makes more sense at a lower price even with slighly higher gas consumption.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    This is kind of off the subject. I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD with the Luxury Package. Moonroof and Roof Rack Crossbars were the only options added to the already loaded vehicle. I have been trying to sell the thing for a month now and I'm getting nothing. No calls or inquiries. The thing only has 35,800 miles on it and it is about 99% flawless inside and out. The original MSRP was over $37K and I'm only asking $14,500 which is negotiable. This is well below what I see online at Dealerships which are asking between $16K and $17K. I've been looking at a new Outlook XR or a Highlander Limited and have worked out deals, but when we get to trade in they are offering ridiculously low deals. They tell me that in today's market with gas prices so high, V8's with AWD are not highly sought after, I'm just warning people that are considering buying new should plan on keeping the vehicle until the wheels fall off because you can't sell them. I've walked away from both deals disappointed, but had hoped I could find a buyer on my own. Absolutely no luck.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • chuck123chuck123 Member Posts: 1
    Please reply to thoughts on pricing:

2008 Ford Explorer limited.
    4k in dealer rebates (3k buy incentive + 1k for finance)=4k
    MSRP: 39650ish
    Adjusted MSRP: 35465
    Opts: Sync/sun-sirius/Nav/power run boards/electric 3rd row fold/powered running boards....all other opts standard like 18" alum wheels and leather/

Taking off the 4k haircut I get adjusted msrp of: 35465
    I was offered about 32600
    with another 2k tax+tags+dest = out the door 34600

According to kbb avg price was: 33120 so I'm a littel better by about 500 dollars.
    Dealer invoice is listed as: 36752...guess only the 1st 3k comes off dealer invoice??

Still attempting to negotiate with multiple dealers (who I believe have now contacted each other :-) )

I bid 32k "out the door" really hoping to get a little budge...got noth'n. What do you guys think? I don't believe you can look at the first price of almost 40...you have to look at it from the adjusted msrp as well as dealer invoice price.

I heard a sales guy from one lot tell me they have not sold an SUV in 2 mths...not surprised with gas at almost 4 dollars a gallon. This was when I was looking at the edge....which for just a front wheel drive was more expensive than this truck.

Love anyones opinion...was going for a cheaper truck...but the decked out limited is crazy on price and the Eddie Bower with equal features is close to same price.