Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Share your purchase experience here.

Comments

• mbjbmbjb Member Posts: 39
    I brought a xlt w/sport pkg. in 06/03 and the sticker was $35,110. It has the roof, tow pkg., 3rd seat and upgraded stereo. I paid $29,900 out the door w/tags and taxes. Not bad I think.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    it's tough to answer your question. is is it v6 or v8? Aux Air? Towing package? 3rd seat? sound system(80 or 290 watts)? i'm not sure what 'invoice out the door' means. msrp would help if you are loking for an answer. did you take rebate or financing?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • viper35viper35 Member Posts: 1
    Just left my local Ford dealer. I was looking at a 2004 Explorer xlt with leather 6 cd changer roof rack,memory pedals,.
    The invoice price was $32,400 out the door. Sales person suggesting Red Carpet Option with a ballon payment at the ene. Two questions if any one can help.
    1- Is this a fair price?
    2- Red Lease Option any options.
  • pulleydogpulleydog Member Posts: 61
    I will be picking up my '04 Mountaineer this week; V-8, Luxury AWD Package, Sunroof, Tow Pkg, Safety Canopy (Side Airbags & Reverse Sensing), Audiophile Stereo, and 3rd Row Seat Deleted. MSRP is $38,100. Invoice is $35,059. Dealer offered it for $250 over - $35,309. Then got $4500 in rebates on top of that, for a final price of $30,809. Sales tax, DMV fees and $50 doc fee to be added to that.
  • mtwallacemtwallace Member Posts: 28
    I just bought a 2003 Mountaineer from Winter Linc/Merc in Sacramento: V8, AWD, Luxury, Aux. climate, Tire pressure monitoring, Trailer Tow pkg. MSRP $37,150, paid $27,150.

Dealer discount of $5,500 and rebate of $4,500. It was the last 2003 on the lot, the color I wanted, and was equipped pretty much exactly as I wanted, so I felt pretty lucky.

Buying experience - this was the first time in a long time I have walked in the front door and dealt with salesmen in the traditional way. I could have done without the cheesy sales tactics: 1) they asked me to sign a statement that "if they gave me the price,payment and trade-in value I liked, I would buy from them today", and 2)doing the "let me take your offer to the manager" routine three times before giving me the price I wanted. Other than that, they were very courteous and professional. I liked the way they gave me a thorough orientation with the vehicle when I picked it up the next day.
  • mazeppamazeppa Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2003 Explorer XLT back in September of 2003 for $25,900 in Massachusetts.

MSRP of the vehicle was $32,??? with only two options of leather and roof rack rails.

I got a price quote from the dealer I bought it from for two Explorer's over the internet and it was an painless buying experience.
  • mbednorzmbednorz Member Posts: 63
    For the record, just bought a used '02 Eddie Bauer Explorer in Houston, from a dealer. Red, 3rd row seat, rear air, reversing sensors, 24k miles, super clean inside and out. $19,500. "Terry the Guru" over at the Real World Trade-in forum here on Edmunds felt like that was doing pretty good.

We also negotiated on an identically equipped vehicle, but it was an '04 dealer demo with 4k miles. They came down to $26,500. My feeling was that we could have had it for under $26,000 if we'd worked them.
  • racertedtmsracertedtms Member Posts: 3
    Fully loaded, I took delivery of my new Premier Mountainer for $32122 excluding tax and tags. Dealer gave it to me at invoice plus $3000 Ford rebate and another $1000 rebate but not sure where that came from. I didn't qualify for another (that I know of). This is V8 with built in DVD and upgraded towing package. I think I got a good deal but don't really care any more.

I leveraged a deal from Sam's Club auto program to get lower price.
  • mustangdrewmustangdrew Member Posts: 38
    Just got a brand new Explorer XLS plain for about 21,500 out the door (before folding in a previous loan, but including all other taxes & fees). We love it so much more than the loaded Escape we test drove first. And, it cost $1,300 less!
    Now I can begin to see why it still sells so well after all these years.
  • blnewtblnewt Member Posts: 27
    Drove off the lot w/ a new 2004 XLS (no options) for $22,000 all fees included. Great deal, IMO, especially since they gave us $1500 over Edmunds trade-in value on our 2003 Explorer Sport (boy what a relief to get rid of that relic, LOL!)
    It was a long & fairly intense negotiation, but we got the deal :o)
    BTW, what a great riding vehicle,a real joy!
  • northbayguy1northbayguy1 Member Posts: 10
    It's still possible to find great deals on the 2003 Explorers as Ford is offering very attractive rebates. Earlier this month, my wife & I purchased a new 2003 4X4 XLT(w/3rd row seat,tow pkg.,rear a/c,& upgraded 6-CD stereo)which had an MSRP of $33,410. for $26,249.(exl.tax&lic)after a $4,500. rebate. Our local Ford dealer located the unit for us and then basically charged us $200. over invoice, with no charge for the pick up or the delivery! We previously had a 1991 Explorer 4X4 XLT (for 11 years) which we really liked, and the 2003 seems even better in every phase so far. For the price, I believe the new Explorers are the best mid-size SUV on the market right now.
  • fairlanecobrafairlanecobra Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer. AWD 4.6L Luxury Model. Options: Moonroof and Crossbars for the rack. MSRP was 37700. Paid 32145. Than I got 4500.00 in rebates and they gave me 4K on a trade on a 99 Tuarus. 23645. Not bad.
  • atkellonatkellon Member Posts: 1
    I have seen the great deals people have gotten on mountaineer, but wonder if it is also happening with the explorer limited or Eddie Bauer?
  • mbednorzmbednorz Member Posts: 63
    When we were shopping in February, we were offered an Eddie Bauer Explorer for $26,000 (We got it down to $27,800 by walking. The last price was the second callback by the salesman just before the end of the month.)

'04 Eddie Bauer in Houston, a demo model with 4000 miles, V6 with rear seat, rear air, and reverse sensing.

We passed, because we ended up buying a used '02 Eddie Bauer for $19,500.

Hope this helps.
  • frrussrefrrussre Member Posts: 41
    Just about to Red Carpet with balloon (Maybe wrong name).
    Explorer XLT 4WD, V8, Leather,3rd Row Seat, Moonroof, 290watt Cd package,Black running boards,lll/lV trailer tow pkg, ADJ Pedals, Reverse Sensing & Roof Rails. $2000 down + all taxes up front. 35 @ $314 per month, balloon $18,200. The window sticker, says delivered 02/09/04. Seems like a great deal. Feb 2004, but does not have Tire Pressure Monitoring????? WHY??? Ford Online & Edmunds show this item.
    Reg.

PS. First time Explorer. Previously 2 Jeep GCL on lease (1997 & 2001). Both very unreliable.
  • frrussrefrrussre Member Posts: 41
    We just did our 1st 400 miles, so far runs great. Very comfortable, no back aches. Engine & Transmission running great. Previously Leased 2 Jeep GCL 1997 & 2001, neither ever ran as good as this Explorer.

2004 Explorer XLT 4WD, Aspen Green, V8, Leather, 3rd Row Seat, Moonroof, 290watt Cd package, Black running boards, lll/lV trailer tow pkg, ADJ Pedals, Reverse Sensing & Roof Rails.
    Reg.
  • yettibuttyettibutt Member Posts: 98
    Picked up a used 2003 XLT, leather, V-6, 4x4, reverse sensing system, 80-watt CD player, running boards, roof rack, third row seat, tow package, 13,000 miles - $22,700 last month. I thought we did pretty good. The best new price I could find was 28,000 for a similarly equipmed 2004, except it had the side curtain air bags and adj. pedals.
  • theicon29theicon29 Member Posts: 6
    I have noticed all the great deals people have posted in here and just wanted to ask and see what the probability of getting the deal I may be looking for. I am interested in a mid-size SUV and am looking at the 2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 and a GMC Envoy SLE 4X4. The only options I am interested in are the power moonroof ($800) roof rail cross bars ($45) and power adjustable pedals ($120) the MSRP for this vehicle at the Ford dealership in Cleveland was $33,075 including destination/delivery. I was told I could get up to $4,500 in rebates, a $400 recent college grad discount, $500 for my trade-in, and a $1,000 (1st time buyer - I think anyone know something about this????). I asked the rep if they handle invoice pricing and he "wouldn't talk price on the lot" I would like to set a limit of $400-$425 per month for a 60 month financing, is this a reasonable goal for the SUV i want with the options? please any help will be great for me just starting to look for my 1st new car!!!!
  • gregb5gregb5 Member Posts: 82
    Since you're a first time buyer, a few words of advice:
    Never, ever, negotiate the price of a car based on a monthly payment. Talk in dollars. The dealers have the advantage when talking payments because they can hide profit in a number of different places. Deal with the price of the car, your trade-in, and financing terms individually so that you understand fully what you are paying.

Good luck!
  • infotimeinfotime Member Posts: 6
    20,000 miles, AWD, V6, Leather, Dual Climate Control, Rear Seat, Rear Air, 6CD changer, Steering Wheel controls, 17" wheels, Adjustable pedals, Adjustable seats, Dual Seat Heaters, Roof rack with cross rails, Heated mirrors, Tow package and 7 year / 75,000 Ford Certified Warranty.

$22,900
  • hzzhzz Member Posts: 1
    Does the 22,000 exclude the 3000 rebate? The invoice price is 27,000!
  • rcheckerrchecker Member Posts: 4
    How long did you search for that vehicle? The best I can find is 03 XLT 4wd,rear air, 3rd seat, running boards with single cd player and 13640 miles. $21,995
  • wrenchheadwrenchhead Member Posts: 1
    keep looking...the deals are out there!

brand new mountaineers are advertised in my region for $23.9K with all discounts incl.

AWD, leather, v-6. running boards, alloy whls, anti-theft, keyless entry, etc

that's only $1k more than you found...and NEW!
  • infotimeinfotime Member Posts: 6
    Post the phone number for this dealer.

A brand new Mountaineer Luxury PKG for 24 Grand??

I'll buy one on the spot and re-sell it on EBAY for that price.

Post the phone number PLEASE. I need a few extra thousand dollars.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "You may include the dealership name and city/state where you purchased, but NO direct links to the dealership site. Also, please do not post salespeople names, phone numbers or email contact information."

Just the name/location please :-)

Steve, Host
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    I bought an '01 Explorer XLT AWD V8 in May '03 for $18K OTD. The experience wasn't too bad. Actually, didn't think about buying that day, just stopped in to see what they had. The longest part of the whole deal was the test drive. Came to an agreement on price in 10 minutes.

Leo
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    Quick suggestion if you are trying to watch your wallet. The XLT is nice, but in my opinion, the price you pay for it is not worth it. I bought a 2003, XLS Sport. It came with the step bars and the alloy wheels, pwr windows, locks, cruise, cd etc. Sticker was 31K and change. Out the door price was 21K with no money down. Monthly payment is just over $400. I've had the truck 8 mos, no problems or complaints. Hope this helps!!
  • dan1dan1 Member Posts: 76
    We just purchased a loaded 03 Exp. Limited V8 Black with Charcoal interior and only 12k on it. I has about every option DVD, sun roof, stability control etc... After taxes we paid $26,800, not as good as we hoped but not to bad. The only option/s it does not have is whatever the three blank buttons on the upper right hand side of the center console are for? The buying experiance was OK and so far, I have driven it twice, I am very happy with it.
  • gregb5gregb5 Member Posts: 82
    The three buttons you mentioned are not used in any models. You got it all!
  • terplawterplaw Member Posts: 1
    All,

I'm shopping for a '04 Explorer XLT w/ 3rd Seat & Rear A/C. Here's what I got back from one dealer:
    '04 Wedgewood Blue XLT 4.0 V6
    w/ Graphite Leather Seat
    Running Boards
    Safety Canopy
    Rear A/C
    Roof Rail X Bars
    3rd Row
    $27060 +TTL & 100 fee.

Any feedback would be welcomed.
    You might want the V8, sure the v6 has better rated gas milage but you may have to give it more gas to get it moving. If you are not going to tow anything and don't have a heavy foot like me the V6 may be fine.
  • drush9drush9 Member Posts: 1
    If the Explorar and the Mountaineer have the same ratings in gas mileage, then the v-6 gets 15 city and 19 highway. the v-8 gets 15 city and 19 highway. (just checked two different stickers - same car, different engines). however, i have heard from our service department that people are getting better gas mileage in the v-8's due to the weight of the vehicle. you have to remember, the more vehicle you have, the more power it takes to push it.
    See I just assumed the V6 was rated higher I always try and get the biggest motor anyway. I think re-sale may be a consideration also, having just purchased our Explorer I noticed some difference in pricing between the V6 and V8 models.
  • ajdajd Member Posts: 6
    Since Ford is now offering $5,000 cash back or 0% financing which is great news to hear on all 2004 Explorer (which means they are sitting on a load of Exporer that they have to get rid of). Now since all salesman are starting off at MSRP, how much of a percent of the MSRP price can you reasonable tell the saleman that the MSRP price should be discounted as the 2005's are ready to come in October. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !!
  • wilkichwilkich Member Posts: 52
    Without going item by item, it seems to me that the Explorer Limited and the Mountaineer Luxary are comparably priced. But the Mercury has a nicer interior. Is there any reason to buy the Limited over the Mountaineer?
    Wilkich we went back and forth on that. We drove two new Mountaineers and a new Explorer before we bought a used 03 Exp. Limited. The only difference I could see was more sound proofing material and a little more upscale interior in the Merc. We liked the exterior of the Exp. better. What it really came down to is we came across the Explorer we bought before the Merc.
    I did a lot of price checking on used Merc's and Explorer's and I don't think you would pay any more for a compairable Merc.
  • crw2crw2 Member Posts: 4
    I got a quote of $29600, including $5400 in rebates from a dealer in Maryland for a V-6 Eddie Bauer Explorer. MSRP on the truck is $38345. The 'official' invoice he pulled out showed $34997, so I am right at that number. In fact he had the sale all written up, and the finance rate came in a little higher than I planned, so I walked, to go re-figure my numbers, after spending 2.5 hours at the dealership.
  • saintsaint Member Posts: 4
    just bought a 04 xlt- leather, running boards, prem cd cassette, moon roof, and paid right around 26,ooo. Was planning on buying a honda oddessy but at this price it was to good to pass up. I think and hope I got a deal.
  • my3sonsmy3sons Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I have been doing a lot of research on Mid-sized SUVs and find the MM very attractive. We have seen a lot of dealer incentives etc. on the 04. But we are specifically trying to find a new 03 so we can get a better deal. Any one have any ideas? We would be willing to travel to make the deal happen and drive back home but it's gotta be well worth the difference of buying an 04.
  • dallas1dallas1 Member Posts: 1
    We have just started looking at an 04' Luxury 6 due to the incentives and have gotten 2 prices but haven't yet signed on the dotted line and was wondering if they will really come thru with the quoted prices, and also should we be doing "better". Both trucks are similar with stickers around 36,800 (w/6CD changer)and 36,400 (w/o), no security pkg or DVD. The first quote was 30,800 and 0%-60 months, the other was 27,100 straight purchase after a lot of back and forth. I still need to check if the 30,800 will be 26,800 on a straight buy, no finance, since there is the 4000 rebate. It is a really nice truck though. Any feedback is appreciated.
  • keeferbkeeferb Member Posts: 81
    Anyone know what, if any, the changes are for the 2005 Explorer?

Thanks.
  • marketing1marketing1 Member Posts: 2
    Limited 2004 Explorer -- I need help on a price. I negotiated for Ceramic White 2004 explorer -- with Aux. Air, Cross Bars, 3rd Row Seat, Moon Roof, Trailer Tow, V8 engine -- asking (MSRP) 40, 600 -- we negotiated after 5500 in rebates, trade-in -- to $27,700. Was that reasonable? That is 12 % of the sticker -- is that good or what should we look for next time??
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    the Limited and Eddie bauer have the message center controls on the 3 black buttons near the driver side. the 3 on the passenger side are 4Hi, 4L, and 4Auto is you have 4wd. AWD and 2WD do not have these buttons
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    8 way power seats on EB/Ltd.
    adjustable pdeals are an option.little bit different roof rack.

that's all i can find so far.

overall, more of the same.
  • intruder242intruder242 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased the above vehicle a few weeks ago. The car has done well and this is my first SUV. Without getting into details, I got a very good deal with X-Plan. The rebate was $4,000.00, but I took $2,000.00 and 0% from Ford credit.
    BTW, I have Accu-Trak and the message center comes with this option.
    Intruder
    Thanks ajmtbm I talked to a friend who had an identicle truck and realized what they were for.
  • jwwnjjwwnj Member Posts: 2
    If you can finance under 5.5%, you're better off with the rebate.
  • blane1417blane1417 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking to lease an '04 XLT-- anybidy know where i can find residual value and money factors? thanks
    Try Lease Questions - Ask Here.

Steve, Host