Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• clarksalmoclarksalmo Member Posts: 19
    Of course, I've had that problem, just about 2 weeks ago. Luckily, I was at home, having just returned from an extended road trip. I'm just amazed it didn't happen in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming. I've had almost any problem you can think of. See my post a few pages above. I have a lemon, IMO, but I can't legally get any recourse yet, since Colorado has one of the worst lemon laws in the country. I'll be getting rid of mine as soon as is financially feasible.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I'm very impressed that roadside assistance was able to get you going temporarily at least.
  • mongo1mongo1 Member Posts: 49
    Greetings all, hope everyone had a wonderful holiday week. Well... after many hours of tracing wires and circuits, checking and rechecking relays, going over fuses to no avail, I had the mysterious puddle lamp/turn signal lamp (see thread 241) narrowed down to three possibilities. 1) Sunspots, 2) A shift in the magnetic flux lines of the earth, or 3) those pesky aliens again. Just when I was ready to fit the Aviator with a giant aluminum foil hat, (to "foil" those damned aliens) my wife hit the button to open the garage door and Voila! The turn signal lights came on in the same dim fashion! Apparently the shielding on the turn signal circuitry isn't sufficient to block the signal from the garage door transmitter. This was verified with the homelink in the vehicle and another sender. So I guess the only cure is to replace the old garage door opener. It's 14 years old anyway. The LM techs should get a kick out of it anyway. Remember, the TRUTH is out there.... ;^) MongoX signing off.
  • lolaj42lolaj42 Member Posts: 420
    My wife reports that the steering wheel vibration has returned. So much for the previous repair attempt. Back to the shop for the . . . oh, I've lost count now. The first 11 months haven't gone nearly as smooth as I had expected.
    Care to elaborate, or just needing to vent?
    The same problem described on this board a few weeks ago and supposedly "fixed" as described in Post #246 has re-ocurred. The Aviator goes to the shop sometime this week for yet another attempt to correct this annoyance.
    OH. Well, I never crank a car to full-lock either way, so I wouldn't probably cause that to happen I guess. I don't like to stress the pump. An old habit.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    i've always heard the steering wheel should not be held at full lock. this a not vehicle specific and is just something i heard or read somewhere, sometime.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    The Service Advisor I dealt with last time told my wife that he thought we'd be having a new rack installed this time around . . . we'll see after they investigate a little bit further this time.

The Aviator was left at the shop around noon and my wife got another Ford Escape loaner. Stay tuned.
  • hammer995hammer995 Member Posts: 27
    I just got a letter from Ford about the issue with the transmission fluid incident at the factory that happened last march. My aviator was being built at the same time but thought it was rectified at the plant before it was shipped off. I guess i'll bring it in just incase...

Also, I had brought it in a month ago regarding the stearing wheel studder and it returned...I guess I'll take care of both.

One more thing...my LCD in the nav went dim on me. We kept it on auto with the default brightness and contrast so I don't understand what happened. I had to up it alot to get it back to normal. Has this happened to anybody else??

Thanks.
    Well, I'm not so enthralled with my dealer any longer. It seems there's been a tremendous amount of employee turnover over the last 4 months. The entire staff of Service Advisers, and the Service Manager are all new. Even the Shop Foreman that I had gotten to know well over the past 18-months is gone.

The Service Adviser contacted my wife this afternoon to come and pick-up our Aviator and told her that the steering vibration we were feeling has been caused by our "big tires". We replaced the lousy OEM Michelin tires after putting less than 5K miles on them and replaced them with 245/65HR17 (an OEM recommended size) All-Terrain Yokohama Geolander model. The shop foreman claims that any other tire but the original OEM tire will cause problems that won't be covered by warranty. I almost fell off my chair when my wife passed along the news to me.

My wife was too busy today to get into the matter with the Service Adviser (she's no dummy when it comes to cars, but she typically leaves these matters for me to deal with), so she just picked the Aviator up and drove home, un-repaired and highly dis-satisfied. She did tell me that the Service Manager thought the Shop Foreman's story sounded funny, but he didn't offer to step in and investigate further either. This guy was one of the Service Advisers less than two months ago, and I haven't met him yet.

As my wife was driving home, she noticed that the Service Invoice stated "Customer declined repairs". She immediately called the Service Manager on her mobile phone to state that no repairs had ever been offered, yet alone declined.

This is far from a "settled" matter in my mind, but I'm truly dismayed with the whole state of affairs with Ford Motor Company and their network of dealers. This '04 Aviator experience has been nothing like our '00 LS experience, and has virtually destroyed any goodwill Lincoln has built with me through my participation in a Lincoln Car Club. Given that Lincoln is killing off the only product I've had a good experience with, I doubt I'll be back in one of their showrooms next time I'm the market . . . which might not be too far off considering the experience we've had with the Aviator.
    "got another Ford Escape loaner"

What? That's a bunch of crap. Is this a Lincoln/Mercury dealer, or a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealer? My dealer always gives me a Town Car when my Lincoln goes in, even for an Oil Change, which is not required by Lincoln, they just do it anyway. That's unbelievable! If there is another dealer anywhere near where you live, I would try them and politely escalate this to Lincoln. Your dealer is just awful, and you at least deserve a visit with the factory rep about the car. At LEAST!!
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Some Mercedes dealers give Camry/Accord loaners.

Lincoln used to require a Lincoln car as a loaner but now they only guarantee the owner "transportation" which could be a shuttle ride.

This is where a dealer can really differentiate themselves, but most don't.
    That is unfortunate. Very unfortunate.
    Greetings all, may this find you well. How many of you out there recieved a letter from Ford directing all owners of 2004 and select 2005 Ford products with the 5R55 series transmissions to immediately call the dealer for the installation of a fluid additive? Seems that Ford has had it's share of fluid malfunctions in the past couple of years. I am seriously considering replacement of both rear axle and tranny fluid with Redline Synthetic products. Anyone care to comment?
    my ford dealer has choice of loaner or shuttle. i choose the shuttle. the driver is usually a retired guy who is good for some conversation. one time, they had a guy who tried to sell me a used f150 with only a 100k on it. made the ride to work interesting!
    I have an 04 Mountaineer with 8000 miles on it. Got the letter. Took it in to my favorite advisor. He said he was out of additive at the moment, (which didn't surprise me). But he asked if the transmission had been acting up. I explained it had been engaging in reverse like a freight train sometimes and missing 3rd gear frequently. He said it was too late for this one, and I needed repairs, just leave the car. He got me a Town Car loaner (free). That was yesterday, today I picked up my car, with a new solenoid pack and new fluid and it works great. I'm a happy guy. But this is the kind of service I have received at this dealership for the past 15 years, which I why I have driven Lincolns and Mercurys for so long. The cars have generally been great, but when they do break, the service can't be beat.
    Greetings NV, may this find you high and dry ;^) That is exactly the information I was hoping someone would post here. I have 6000 on my Aviator, and have towed quite a bit with it lately. I have noticed a slight hesitance in upshifting lately. Minor, but annoying. I have a friend with a 2004 LS that is suffering from rough upshifting as well. Guess I better hustle it in for the service. Still think I would be better off replacing the fluid completely with Redline. I wonder if this is a problem with all brands of Mercon V or just the Ford supplier? My dealer is pretty good about providing service. When I had the Avi in for the 5000 mile service and to check out the "Marfa light" problem, they gave me a brand new Eddie Bauer Explorer for the day. Not a Lincoln, but they didn't hesitate a bit in loaning it. Thanks for the imput, keep yer feet dry!
    This was just one (big) batch of tranny fluid - they forgot to put in the additive. The tranny fluid is already a synthetic blend so you don't really need to replace it, plus there's always a chance it won't be compatible.
    Ford has had some interesting fluid problems the past 2 years, with differentials and now with transmissions. Wonder who the supplier is..... Wonder who their lawyer is.... This is costing them millions.

Mongo - How did you know it was flooding around Vegas? I came back from Florida to find it wetter in Nevada than it was in Gainesville!!
    Greetings NV, may this find you well. Regarding my knowledge of the weather in Vegas, you should know that my minion of spies are everywhere! ;^) (Actually, I have a very dear friend of mine that just moved to LV from St. Pete, and we converse often. I think he brought it with him, so feel free to blame him!((grin)) Hope you enjoyed Fla. The weather is beautiful, when the wind is not blowing at 140 M.P.H. Akirby, thanks for the imput. However, I have used Red Line products for years in racing and HD applications with tremendous sucess. The key word here is "blend", which I would agree would be sufficient for 95 percent of the time. In the Florida heat, with air conditioners going 10 months of the year, mineral oils just can't hold up. While synthetic blends do better, they just don't have the shear capacity or stable viscosity to handle towing or any heavy duty tasks for any length of time. It has been my experience that 90 percent of used vehicles I've seen have burned tranny fluid after just 25,000 miles down here. As far as suppliers go, I'm sure it's the old "lowest bidder" syndrome. I'm sure some bean counter has figured out that lawyers cost less than the 3 cents per gallon saved when calculated over several million gallons. Oh well. Thanks all for the replies.
  • dougc1dougc1 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a numerous problems with my 2003 Aviator. The entire electrical computer has been replaced after the stalling of the engine almost caused an accident, the drivers seat has come loose several times, several rattles, and the most irritating thing is the noise level inside the Aviator at highway speeds. It has air leaks on both sides and the dealer continues to say it is the mirrors causing the noise. The rear hatch has continued to pop open at various times. I have had this lemon in the shop about 12 times in the 14 months I have owned it. I am soooo sorry I purchased this overpriced vehicle. Lincoln has offered me 2 months of payments to keep me quiet along with an extended warranty. So far, I havent seen this paperwork come through. I guess they are waiting for a lawsuit.
  • hllaviatorhllaviator Member Posts: 1
    The only problem we have had with our 2003 aviator is running over a steel truck tail gate at 60 mph and running over a large dog at 45 mph. The tailgate took out the left two wheels but the avaitor slowed without incident to a stop very safely. The dog is no more but there is a dent in the bumper.

On Gasoline many times I put in 1/2 93 and 1/2 89 to get the 91 mix. Better gas mileage with 93 in almost all tests...

No problems and very happy with SUV. IT is quiet at 60 mph in fact why have a radio that gets louder at highway speeds. I have to turn it down... ha.
  • dougc1dougc1 Member Posts: 2
    Can you tell me about how you proceeded with your lemon to actually receive a refund. I have different problems but am completely fed up with my lemon. ??? Please help if you can.
  • edmd2004edmd2004 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Aviator that I purchased in July 2004 and it currently has 8,200 miles.

Making a hard left there the steering would shudder/vibrate. It would always happen upon initially driving the vehicle from a prolonged shutdown (e.g. overnight). Most times after the initial start the problem would not repeat.

The dealer performed Service Message 04-10-1 and ultimately replaced the Power Steering Rack (3C5Z*3504*AA Gear Assembly). It's been a week since the fix and there are no signs of the shudder/vibration.
  • joel2joel2 Member Posts: 15
    We may have a class action suit in the making. Ford knows about the heater problems but refuses to act on it. Cold weather drivers of the Aviator, and I suspect other ford products, suffer in cold weather with cold air directed from the defogger vents. Had a service mgr. use a temp. probe in vents and he agreed that it was a problem but Ford will not respond to it. At the very least there should be a recall to reprogram the heater controls.
    Any owning of an Aviator who lives in a cold weather climate suffers with cold air from the defogger vents after the vehicle has warmed up. Ford will not fix. But, they are aware of the problem. I am in process of forming a class. If interested contact me.
    I'm forming a class for suit against Ford re. this problem. Respond if interested.
  • alex925alex925 Member Posts: 2
    hi all, live in CT, about to purchase an Aviator, '04 new in Feb '05, love the car, great price, $38,500 before 350 in costs and 2600 in taxes, is this enough reason to stay away? also, if u have the time, what u think of my deal, car is loaded, dvd, nav, and moonroof.

thanks, and good night all.
    Unless you want to freeze when driving in cold weather you should stay away from the Aviator. Better yet, ask the dealer what Ford is doing about the cold air that is ejected from the defogger vents or get a guarantee from him that it will be fixed as a condition of the sale. Other than the cold weather problem I like the Aviator. But, if I had not known about the problem I would never have purchased it.
    This is a real problem and Ford does know about it. Their local dealer is imbarassed that Ford is stonewalling the issue. I am in process of pressing the issue w/Ford. If I don't get any satisfaction I will insist on arbitration and ultimately sue if necessary. I have been assured that I can win ,e.g. secure damages and reimbursement for the cost of suit. Any one who cares to join in suit will get a free ride re costs.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    i assume the same issue exists on the explorer as well, no?

since the system was deigned this way, wouldn't it just be as easy as setting the chip that controls the airflow to not allow cold outside air in, or am i missing something?
  • cangelocangelo Member Posts: 19
    Hello gang. I have a 04 fully loaded. I have had same exsperience with HVAC blowing cold air I switch it to def/floor and it seemed to go away I also shut off the AC button and it seems to have stopped. Also awile back I noticed some post about the driver seat bracket moving. I had a problem with my heat/ac blower motor under the seat and I also mention about the movement in my seat. I was told that some times it is not the bracket but the seat pad. So when they were fixing the blower motor they had the seat sent out to a upholstery shop and they replaced the pad they also replaced the bracket to make sure. To date no problems. As for the Cold Air I was told a fix is in the works with the settings. I was also giving a Explorer to drive while my Aviator was being repaired.
    That's the funny thing - it does not seem to affect the Explorer/Mountaineer, and the HVAC unit is very similar, if not identical. I'm not sure it affects every Aviator either. Clearly though, It affects some.
    I wouldn't stay away from this deal - but I would thoroughly check the car out for the problem Joel2 has mentioned in his post to see if this Aviator has the problem he is talking about. If so, pass on it. If not, you may have a great deal there.
  • emazurekemazurek Member Posts: 3
    I have an 04 Aviator with the rear DVD, nav system
    and the Sirius radio. I took my first trip and found out that the kids cannot watch a DVD in
    the back while we play the Sirius radio up front.
    The nav system displays "SRC CONFLICT". I'm
    finding out that this is a limitation with a
    single aux input into the radio. THIS IS A BIG
    PROBLEM!! I spent $1500 for a DVD player that I
    basically can't use. There was never any mention
    of this limitation when purchasing this. And
    there's no mention of it in the manual of course.

I'm raising the issue with my dealer and going
    to the factory rep. As far as I'm concerned they
    can remove the DVD player, fix the headliner and
    give me my $1500 back.

Anyone else?

Thanks,

Ed Mazurek
    What kind of headphones are the kids using to listen to the DVD? Sounds like you're trying to play both sources through the car speakers and that obviously wouldn't work. You should be able to watch a DVD with headphones and do anything you want with the radio.
  • emazurekemazurek Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

No, the kids are trying to listen/watch the DVD
    through the supplied wireless headphones while
    I'm trying to listen
    to Sirius through the speakers. It doesn't work!
    I get the SRC CONFLICT message. I can listen to
    AM/FM or CD while the kids are watching the DVD
    with the headphones. Just not the Sirius.

Ford is saying it's because there's a single aux
    input into the radio and both the DVD and Sirius
    use it. I say that's bunk! I paid for both!

Thanks,

Ed
    Is Ford saying that or is the dealer saying that? If it's the dealer try another one. If they're using the headphones it shouldn't even be going through the audio system. Maybe you could have the aux input from the DVD disconnected - that should remove the conflict but would force use of the headphones for watching DVDs, which is probably ok.
    That certainly seems to explain it. My suggestion for disconnecting the DVD player from the head unit would probably fix it but like the article says it might cause other problems.

I bet there will either be a TSB or an aftermarket solution for this problem soon.

FYI - Visteon is no longer owned by Ford. They're an independent company.
    JUST TO LET YOU KNOW WHEN I HAD SIRRIUS INSTALLED IN JUNE 04 I WAS TOLD UP FRONT THAT THEIR WILL BE A CONFLICT WITH THE DVD ON AND THE SIRRIUS ON. THEY TOLD ME THAT SATELITE RADIO WILL NOT WORK. I AM IN THE CLEVELAND MARKET AND IT IS A AFTERMARKET COMPANY THAT DOES THE INSTALL THEIR IS A WAY AROUND IT BUT WILL VOID THE WARRANTY INCLUDING THE NAV UNTIL FORD APPROVES IT. THE DVD NEEDS TO BE REPLACED OR MODIFIED AND HEAD UNIT TAKEN OUT AND MODIFIED. A COMPANY IN NEW YORK WILL DO IT AND YOU CAN ALSO WATCH DVD ON THE NAV SCREEN THEY CHARGE ABOUT $1,200 TO $1,500 DEPENDING ON THE VEHICLE.
  • pj7pj7 Member Posts: 5
    I have the same climate control problem (cold air in the face). would be interested in class action suit. Also have car in now for third time to resolve transmission problems - shifting HARD - already tried additive and new transmission fluid and replacing 3 solenoids. Car also intermittently "shudders".
    Your car then, is beyond solenoid replacement therapy and needs transmission replacement or total rebuild. Why is the dealer not doing that for you?
    I'm in final stages of lemon law process and very optomistic about outcome. Will report result on this site unless I am required to sign a non-disclosure statement.
    Who told you a fix for the HVAC cold air problem is in the works? Was it a service rep. or a factory rep.? I have tried to get a Ford Rep. to take a ride in my Aviator but to date none has been made available. They are in denial and the company position is not defensable.
    Joel the company is not in denial the service rep told me that they are trying to come up with a reprogram because they have had so many complaints. I said earlier if you turn off the A/C and use Floor Defrost setting it seems to go away at least for me. Also if you still have the problem turn up the rear heat system and that will help.I will try to get more info. My friend owns the dealership and see if he can get a answer from Ford.
    I have never had a problem getting a service rep at least to take a ride with me when I have had an HVAC problem, and about a mile down the road, with sweat dripping down their foreheads, they usually admit, "yeah, that's not normal". Seems to get fixed after that.
    Had a call from Ford Service Center this AM. After much talk from the Rep. he still would not admit that Ford had any complaints about this problem, that what I was experiencing is within "design specs." Ford doesn't think it is a problem. They have no plans to fix the problem (that is not a problem in their opinion}. He had no comment about why Ford had not made available a Factory Rep. to drive the vehicle in cold weather when the problem is most pronounced. At least you seem to be dealing with a rep. that has agreed that there is a problem. If you can provide me with any info. it would br most welcome.
    Joel if you can get me the Reps Name and Phone # that you spoke to and I will see what I can do from their e-mail me direct at Cangelo629@aol.com
    Carmen
    are you saying the 'air is cold' and is causes fogging or something like that?