Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator Maintenance and Repair

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Problems with your Aviator? Post them here and share any solutions with other TH members.

Comments

• jmez44jmez44 Member Posts: 26
    Took my 03' Aviator in yesterday for an AutoTrac issue. The AutoTrac registered 4 times on dry pavement during my first 2 month use. Its probably a sensor issue. Will let you know what they did to resolve it. Other then that, no problems with the Truck....
  • jmez44jmez44 Member Posts: 26
    Well, the dealer had it for one day and told me that it was an intermittent issue that couldn't be fixed now. They test drove it (36 miles, no refuel) and couldn't find anything wrong with it. They checked the computer to see if it registered anything...that was a no go also. I told the guy, "well its gonna happen again, and you won't be in the truck to see it...what then?" He told me to bring it in asap after it happens. He said that may help the issue because the computer might hold time released data on the problem. So all in all it was uneventfull.
  • markportmarkport Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering if anyone has above average wind noise over 55 MPH. The noise seams to be coming from the passanger side door areas. I also have a 2002 Explorer which does not display this tendency. Other than this, I have had no problems and love this vehicle.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    My Navigator has done the same thing twice in 11,000 miles. Once you restart the truck, the fault goes away, and it performs normally. I haven't taken it in as it would need to do it more often to annoy me. So I don't have an answer, other than to tell you you're not alone! If a restart resets it, and it's infrequent, I don't worry.
    The one problem that is most common with the Aviator is the howling that seems to be coming from the rear differential intermittantly in many Aviators. No TSB yet to my knowledge, and the dealers just scratch their heads, say they are aware of the complaint, but have no solution yet.
  • hapstar1hapstar1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi all...
    I just dropped my 2003 Avi off at the dealer to fix 2 problems. My first problem was that the seat track was not holding the seat in place well enough so that when I pressed the accelerator (great pickup) I could feel the subtle shift back. My second problem was a wierd sound like something wasn't tightened down in the drivers side dash, I think on the left side of the steering wheel. I will post when I hopefully get the car back on Monday.

BTW, if you want to really appreciate your Avi, drop it off for service and leave in a Mercury Sable. I hate my rental. I want my car back.

H.
  • brian1000brian1000 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone experienced the substantial ROAR that the engine lets out when starting and the engine is cold. How long the roar continues upon acceleration after starting seems to vary, but the very noticeable roar from the engine is very annoying. Lately, it seems to last for at least 15 to 20 minutes after initial cold startup. After the noise settles down, it doesn't return for the day typically.

Brianhd1000@comcast.net
  • jacebeckjacebeck Member Posts: 5
    I need some help here as the dealer doesn't have a fix and the factory has been no help...

My brand new Aviator blows cold air (a 40-50 degree measured difference)out of the side window de-misters and out the defroster after the interior temperature reaches the set temperature and stabilizes. This is a major problem as the cold temps in MN mean that I have frozen hands and left knee while my feet are smoking hot.

So here is my question for all of you...when you start your Aviator on a cold morning, and the system is set to AUTO, do you have hot air coming out the defroster vent as well as the floor vents? Hot air ONLY blows out of the floor vents on mine in AUTO mode. There is no air, hot or cold coming from my defroster vent after the heater kicks in when in the AUTO mode.

If I set the mode to defrost, I get hot air, but only until the temp gets close to the set temp, then is goes to pure cold again.

Any thoughts? The dealer has called in a factory field engineer to try to diagnose.

Thanks for any help/ideas!
    I had a range rover that did that. Robbed a lot of power as well. It turned out to be a bad viscous coupler on the engine fan that would not disengage until the engine had warmed up. My Aviator does not seem to do that here in MN
  • knk2knk2 Member Posts: 2
    I guess I'm sort of glad to read the other posts, but not sure why. I picked up my Aviator and within 30 minutes (seriously, 30 minutes) there was smoke coming out of the steering column and the entire dashboard went black (hard to figure out how fast I was going, plus the AC was out and I live in Florida). They had it for a week, the next problem was a rubbing in the steering column which was some sort of spring and it caused a rubbing against the air bag (not a safety issue, according to Lincoln). I also have the humming noise in the rear end, they told me they knew of the problem and "headquarters" is working on a fix (mine is getting louder, can still hear it over the radio). My seat heaters/cooler would turn off after about 20 minutes, that should get fixed tomorrow. I have the shift in my drivers seat, but the local dealer can't recreate it. I also experienced the cold air from the side mirror region, didn't think much of it because I'm not in the cold much (live in Florida, but had the experience driving from Tennessee). We also had a defective front tire (again, not a safety issue) that vibrated terribly around 70mph. The local dealer put it on the back....

I'm 2 days from being able to start the Lemon Law process in Florida (1 day after tomorrow). All this said, everytime I get in my Aviator I love it (until I hear that hum and the seat shifts).

Don't know what my ranting will do, but I feel better knowing I'm not alone. I'll mention the cold air thing tomorrow, but we're supposed to be around 76F tomorrow and there is no way they'll just believe me, they'll want to recreate. In general, I hate my dealer but still have an affection for my car!
  • knk2knk2 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot about the roar I get when it's cold, even my husband noticed that one! I think my Aviator hated Tennessee, it went below 30 while we were there and it was NOT happy!
    1) Your heated/cooled seats are supposed to turn off after 20 minutes to prevent an undue load on your electrical system. I know it's annoying, but I doubt your dealer (who is so dumb as to move a bad tire to the back of the car?????) will be able to "fix" that. Ya just have to restart it.

2) I think the HVAC is designed to blow relatively cool air on the side windows by design. Not sure. I have a home in Florida too, it's not a problem, but it would be a problem if it was blowing hot air there, and I'm sweating!

One last thought - I'm wondering if the outside cooling fan is designed to run fast in cold weather as well as hot, to move air over the condensor, as the A/C works in cold weather to dehumidify your register air? As I stated elsewhere, they all have done it for 10 years. There's gotta be a reason.

The rear end thing is just awful.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Hmmm...Well, I can empathize with you. Briefly:

I've got a 2001 LS. Love the car except for one thing: If I set the climate control on auto, when it's colder outside than in, the climate control system blows hot air out the center stack, luke warm air out the driver and passenger vents and cold air out the little demister vents for the windows. I could almost live with it if the cold air from the demister didn't bounce off the window and hit the left side of my face. I've measured values like these:
    Center Stack vents = 110 degrees
    Left/right passenger vents = 82 degrees
    Left/right demisters = 60 degrees

I have had the dealer look at it. Results: Seems OK to us. I had the regional rep look at it, he measured it while I watched. His numbers were appx those I've listed above. He contacted Ford engineering. They said those numbers are 'within spec'. I said -BULL- . He was going to check some more. Haven't heard from him or been able to contact him since.

Am I a happy Lincoln owner? Actually, yes. This is the only issue that bothers me. But it really tees me that they won't do anything about this. Dealer service actually said if they pulled out the dash to try to fix this, they'd probably screw it up putting it back together. There's a confidence builder, huh?

I would like to add two things: First, there is a way to operate the climate uncontrolled system so that it works - for me, YMMV. What I do now is I set it on auto and set the temp when I start up the car. This will keep the system from blowing any air til the engine warms up. At that point, the hot/warm air flow is pretty efficient for a while. Then at some point, I'll notice the arctic blast on my left cheek, or I'll just remember to switch from auto to the heat/vent setting. This keeps any air from being directed thru the demisters or defrosters and all is well. Usually have to manually adjust the fan too.

Second - if you want to push and fight this issue, I'm with you. There is definitely a problem. Maybe only a subset of cars, but something is amiss. If anyone else has this issue, let's join forces.

George

PS: One more thing. I've been in the market for another vehicle. Not to replace the LS, but in addition. I love the Aviator and thought that would be the ticket. But when I brought the whole family and we drove it, it was just too small for all of us. It looks like we'll end up with a Navigator. But when I drove the Aviator, I checked the climate control system for the problem you and I have - and this Aviator had it as well. I checked the Nav I test drove too - it did NOT exhibit this problem. I hope the one I'm buying won't either. Can't fnd out til it gets here - its a dealer swap.

Happy Holidays
    Perhaps that's why I haven't noticed this problem. "It's within specs" is the second response you always get from the dealer, BTW. That comes right after, "Check - OK, no problem found".
    George,
    Thanks for the note, though it is rather distressing that this is an issue across models. I have verified that all Aviators are showing the same issue. Here in the north, it is a serious safety issue as the windshield does not stay warm enough to keep mild ice accumulations clear while driving. It is really unpleasant to be in the vehicle for any length of time. I have to go to manual modes which defeats the whole point of automatic climate control.

Fortunately, the dealer and mechanics are together with me on this one and, I have two dealers on my side as I bought the car 150 miles from home from a friend and am having the thing serviced at a local dealer.

I was with the mechanic when he called the Ford "tech line" and they said that "spec" is only a 10-15 degree difference. I think they have a design issue on their hands and don't want to fess up to it.

I have a Ford field engineer set to look at it on the 7th of January when it should be good and cold outside. I'm going to hover over him like a hawk.

It really is a shame since the vehicle is great in all other aspects. If it does not get resolved, I may go the Lemon Law route myself as it is intolerable to have this situation in a state like Minnesota with a vehicle that has a $53K sticker price. My wife swore she would NEVER buy another Lincoln based on the our experience with a new 1990 Continental. I talked her into this one and will likely pay for the decision for the rest of my life...
    Jace
    I grew up in Boston. So I know what it's like to have a real winter. (I'm now in Santa Cruz, Cal.) I've often wondered how bad this heater situation would be in a car in the great white north. You've confirmed my suspicions.

I agree, it's really intolerable to have an automatic climate control system that doesn't work. I've had several discussions with my service advisor about this. For a while, he tried to tell me that the outside and demister vents are cooler cause they're farther from the heater! Laws of physics he says. So I ask him, do these same laws of physics apply to my 200,000 mile 1986 Jeep Cherokee whose heater puts hot air out of all it's vents? Amazing the stories they'll tell.

I truly hope they're able to find something on your Aviator. I've never been able to confirm that this is a design problem. I'm a member of the Lincoln LS owners club and posed the question to all the members. Only 2 others complained they had this issue.

One thing's for certain though. You and I have it and it's not within any resonable spec.

My speculation is that the blend doors somehow don't have the proper travel in our situation and instead of letting hot air into the defroster/demister vents, they're funneling outside air. WHat a disaster in Minnesota! Just a major inconvenince for me.

Good luck and keep the forum informed please. Happy Holidays

george
    I symmpathize with your situation. I had a 90 and a 92 Continental. Loved the design, but they were the worst cars Ford ever put out, and you just happened to have one too, and now this. Fortunately for me, I've had several excellent Lincoln's in between, so I'm not in trouble with the wife like you are!!!

There evidently is a design flaw in the system that is indemic in this model. My Navigator doesn't do it. I wonder, is this a Visteon unit?
    I will see what the field engineer says on the seventh of January and go from there. I am truly hoping that it is not an inherent design issue and can be fixed without too much trouble, but I am bracing for the worst.

I'll post what happens next when appropriate.
    jace
  • wantaviatorwantaviator Member Posts: 4
    I was told by a dealer the Aviator was being discontinued in 2005 and being replaced by a crossover model.

If the above is correct, should we purchase?

If we do purchase, should we expect better pricing (currently quoting 38,400 for luxury model including taxes, with DVD ent. package before trade. We have not "negotiated" yet)?

Do you know how this would affect resale value? We typically keep our vehicles for approx. 7 years.

I do love this vehicle, have test drove. Also drove Explorer (BIG difference in feel/aesthetics ). My husband is concerned about the talk of the truck being discontinued and what that could mean in the future.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I did post this also on the main board.

Thanks.
  • sirknightdsirknightd Member Posts: 96
    I heard it possible that the aviator as is may be discontinued and a new aviator based on a mazda platform hence crossover replace it.

i m not sure how long...this current platform has been around .ie explorer..i d guess maybe 2000.
     so maybe 2005 might be a reasonable time for it to end for aviator..and maybe the explorer will use a new platform too at that time around 2005 or so?

i don t see that this would negatively affect resale value, especially for someone keeping a vehicle for seven years.

i like that it is based on ladder frame..with front and rear ind suspension....many crossover vehicles feel too minivanish to me.

enjoying the vehicle..and keeping it a long time will give you good value.

in fact...i could imagine it positively affecting resale value for those wanting a premium suv with towing capacity at this midsize level.

i have 2003 with everything except chrome wheels

i love it.

steering and ride is incredible

no problems with it.

8000 miles.
  • wantaviatorwantaviator Member Posts: 4
    sirknightd, thanks for responding. I did speak to my salesperson about this today and she said they received a letter from the president of Lincoln/Mercury after the article was ran and were told they were not discontinuing the Aviator. Now she could just be telling me this to make the sale, but I have pretty much decided that I love this truck and want to have it no matter what. Will face the future when it gets here. We are going to make a decision tonight and hopefully by tomorrow I'll have my new 04.

Wish me luck with the negotiating process, wish it didn't have to be such a game of back and forth.:)

Thanks again.
    This keeps coming up, and I am amazed at dealers who tell customers this crap. The Aviator is not being discontinued, but may be restyled, you know, "all new" for 2006, and will likely be more of a unique crossover than an Explorer based truck. I should think that would make the current version as valuable as gold after that happens! I'm trying desperately to get my wife to buy one.
  • aa8qfaa8qf Member Posts: 34
    Did you get the climate control problem solved? I seem to have the same problem with my '04 Aviator. Rather annoying on a $50K car. Also does anyone notice a very high pitch whistle when the car is very cold that lasts about 1-2 seconds and goes away when the vehicle warms up?
  • carnuchcarnuch Member Posts: 1
    I too have had the same problem with the cool air from the side vents in auto mode.(Boston cold). Dealer said the same thing - was designed that way and within spec. I as well as my passengers are very annoyed so I also defeat the auto mode.
    I also seem to have a problem with a VERY stiff ride. Again, all my passengers mention this as well and again the dealer says they see no issue.
    Any body else have a ride issue?
    Carnuch
    The auto climate control seems to be a real engineering "mess up". The system works fine until it actually begins to warm up in the car. Then, the fan never slows down and it continues to blow warm air at my feet and cold air out the side vents - not a good thing in a cold climate. The fan runs full blast unless you take it off "auto". I wonder if competing models (i.e. Lexus) have these issues???
    My Navigator has none of these issues, and I think it's the same system, at least it's a very similar system by the same provider, I'd bet.
    Oh, and my Mountaineer doesn't do this either, but it is not as accurate as the system in the Navigator, I've noticed.
    Have a second appointment to have dealer re-evaluate the problem this week. Hopefully just an issue for a few of the vehicles and not all. I'll post the results later.
  • mdore1mdore1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone out there experienced a persistent squeak in the upper portion of the rear hatchback? It started around 10k miles and is extremely annoying. It sounds like the plastic portion surrounding the upper stop light is scraping against the glass of the hatchback. Or the plastic is warped and the pressure of the glass causes the noise. This week marks my fifth visit to the dealer in a month to try to get the problem resolved. On each previous visit, the dealer has either changed some pads or has put some kind of grease on the rubber surrounding the hatch. This time I am going to personally drive the service rep. around to show him. Any thoughts?
    I've never had any luck getting rid of a squeak. My son works at the Lincoln dealership, and he just laughs at me when I complain about this squeak in my second seat. I don't know what to do either, except keep trying....
  • jacebeck1jacebeck1 Member Posts: 17
    IF YOU ARE HAVING THE SAME AUTO CLIMATE CONTROL ISSUE DISCUSSED ABOVE PLEASE READ THIS!!!

Through the persistence of a very good service manager who refused to accept the simple "within spec" baloney from Ford, and a forthright Field Service Engineer who also confirmed the problem, we got Ford to authorize a one-off custom repair attempt.

Yesterday, I had the entire dash of my Aviator removed and both the mechanic and Field Service Engineer have located the source of the problem with the climate control. Simply, anytime the system begins to reach it's set temp, the design of the internal heater plenum allows frigid air to blow right past where the air would normally be mixed and warmed. Instead it is shot right on out through the demisters. In other words, IT IS A FUNDAMENTAL DESIGN DEFECT THAT WE HAVE NOW EMPIRICALLY VERIFIED!

Unfortunately, after many tries we could not find a fix for this in the field.

The big problem however, is that Ford Climate Control engineering refuses to acknowledge that it is a big issue and still says it is "within spec". It is not. Let them drive one in MN today where it is -22 with a -55 windchill! Everyone that has this issue MUST get a Field Service Engineer involved and has got to complain like crazy to Ford by threatening to have them buy back the vehicle in order for them to get their Climate Control engineers to work on a valid fix.

To replicate the problem, put it on AUTO or the floor only direction. If you put the system into the bi/level mode the demisters shut off and it will stay warmer, but still not great.

My dealer has been fabulous but even they can't resolve something that is engineered from the factory/sub assembly supplier incorrectly.

We all have to be forceful and not accept anything less that a full fix, and FAST.
    Good for you, Jace - that is exactly what one needs to do when this glitches are encountered.
  • timnhtimnh Member Posts: 1
    I am very interested in buying this car/truck. I like the looks and the many options. Now after reading these posts I'm wondering if buying this vehicle over the Acura MDX is a wise choise. Do all of the Aviators have the Climate Control problem, front seat movment, and the rear end whining?
    I think they about have the rear end whining licked. The Climate Control issue appears to be new problem, but it is only manifested in very cold weather and climates. Nobody in the SW/SE where I spend my time has ever mentioned it. Minnesota seems to be an issue. The seat movement is a sporadic complaint. Some people notice it, others don't. I notice it, but don't care. :) Remember, for every complaint you see on edmunds are probably 100 happy owners.
    Best mileage on the highway of 11.9 mpg. That's driving 60 mph with the cruise on for about 150 miles. That seems rather low. I wonder if the problems with the climate control can affect the mileage (i.e. the fan running constantly). Still working on the climate control issue. If you're in a cool state (MN), then I'd be darned sure the heater works before driving it off the lot.
    That's really bad.....Can't imagine climate control causing it. Did you reset before the trip?
    Word back from the dealer is that they don't think the idea they had for the fix worked. Back to the factory to see what they intend before I start the MN Lemon Law process for Lincoln to buyback the car. Too bad as I really like all other aspects, but it is simply not acceptable for the price to not drive in comfort.
    Don't blame you.
    Well, after having my Aviator in the shop the entire week, it has been determined that the climate control problems are "normal" (per Lincoln Tech Line). Apparently, the system was engineered to blow ambient air on the side and front windows and to have the fan blow continuously so that the windows don't fog up. I want to know what genius thought up that one! Like Jacebeck, I also live in Minnesota, and it is everything I can do to prevent the windows from fogging. The fan never cycles down at all (always full blast). I was told by my dealership to call the Lincoln-Mercury customer satisfaction line, which I did. They are to get back to me tomorrow - likely with "all is fine". Not only is the climate control problem a huge nuisance in a cold climate, it's also dangerous. On a 1.5 hour trip, I spent the majority of the time trying to keep my windows from fogging up - never really getting warm in the vehicle, and with arctic blasts blowing over my face. No one can tell me that is normal. Apparently, all of the vehicles do this. IF YOU ARE IN THE MARKET FOR THIS VEHICLE, BEWARE IF YOU'RE IN A COLD CLIMATE. Like Jacebeck, I too will probably have to go the Lemon Law route. Should be interesting since they claim this is normal.
    What moron designed the system that way??? Once in a while, they really mystify me. That is very unfortunate, but I wonder why the Explorer/Mountaineer models don't do that. I'm thinking they have the same controller.

The Lincoln Hot Line will get back to you, and tell you it's normal, and refer you to your dealer for further help. You'll be thrilled.
    This is a potential huge mess. I posted b4 about this, but I'll reiterate: My 2001 LS does the same thing. I've been complaining about it for the last 2 winters. Fortunately, I live in a mild climate so I do not have that big of a problem. What happpens for me is, once the car warms up inside, with the system set to auto, the side demisters and defroster begin blowing air that is 40 degrees or more cooler than the air out of the other vents. After being fed more crap by dealer service and Ford regional service and Ford Detroit Engineering than a pig up for slaughter, I am resigned to changing, after interior warmup, from auto to the vent/floor position which seems to be the only one which shuts off air from the demisters (which air bounces off the window and hits me in the face.) If I do this, the system is quite useable. But it's a real shame that I have to do it. ANd I don't like it one bit that they say it's 'normal' or it's 'within spec' - that is one of the things they've told me. That came straight from Detroit via regional service rep. I don't know how my solution would work up North. I can guess.

When I decided I needed to replace my other vehicle, I drove both the Aviator and the Navigator. I carefully tested the Climate system in both vehicles and the Nav's system worked just great (as did my 1993 Mark8) but the '03 Aviator I drove acted just like my LS. Do they share the same Climate system? I bet. I do know that members of the LS owners club were polled and only a few others noted their LS having this problem.
    I found the original post by jacebeck to be very interesting. What they appeared to find, that unheated air was being directed out the demisters and defroster, is exactly what I believed the probelm is. I remain unconvinced it is a design problem though because, if it was, everybody would be complaining about it and that's simply not the case. It still seems to me that it has to be something, probably IMHO, a blend door, that is not working properly.
    My dealer service refused to look behind my dash, saying they'd probably do more harm than good. I couldn't come up with a response to that!
    I'd like to pursue it further, but my vehicle is 3 years old now. Doubt I could get a lemon law at this point. Besides, I love everything else about the car. I have tried coercion on the Regional guy, but that only causes him not to return my calls.
    I really empathinze with you guys. If I lived up North ... I can't say what I'd do.
    It is this simple...there is no rational explanation for air EVER coming out of ANY vent that is colder than the pre-set temperature when you are in a HEATING condition.

Would anyone accept 50 degree air from half of the furnace vents in their home, while the vents in the other rooms blow 110 degrees??? NO.

I was told yesterday that they acknowledge there is a problem and they are working on a fix, but there is no time frame for the fix.

I spoke with Dr. Tom Geida, the former head of climate engineering at Ford...now at Visteon. It is not normal and certainly NOT WITHIN SPEC.
    From Lincoln Tech Line: "everything is within spec" "Nothing we can do" "see your dealership for help"

yeah right
    Any advice on initiating lemon law process with Lincoln/Mercury?
    Yes. First, call Ford/Lincoln customer service and request a Dispute Settlement Board form. Then call your state attorney general's office and ask for a copy of the lemon law for your state. It may be on the web as well.

Complain to Lincoln customer service and ask to have the issue escalated...they finally admitted that there is a problem as I stated above. Push them for a date that they will get it fixed and begin the Dispute Process. There may be more in your owners manual (which is on the Lincoln owners website) to fill you in on the process.
    Want to watch faces go blank? Ask them for a copy of the "specs" for thermal comfort in an Aviator. They kept quoting, "within spec" so I asked them to either prove it or admit that a) they were lying; b) they really didn't know; or c) they thought I was an idiot.
    Check out this link : http://www.ott.doe.gov/coolcar/strategies.html

or this one:

http://www.cfdreview.com/application/02/08/30/1422240.shtml

or this:
    http://www.delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/2001-01-0588.pdf

The work described on these sites would not be done if they simply want to blow frigid, not cool or cold, air on your upper torso.
    First Ford purchase...Last Ford purchase
    What did you drive before?
    Drove Buick before, no problems. Very reliable.
    Now, see, my family had a 99 Regal, which stalled continually, and intermittantly for the entire period of the 3 year lease. Each time it was towed into the dealer, they couldn't find a code or a problem. On the last visit, my sister was a little "curt" with the service manager, who said, "Lady, Jesus doesn't work here". They turned it in and got a Trailblazer, which, yep, you guessed it, had a stalling problem! Fortunately, I guess Jesus works at the Chevy store, because they solved that one after 3 tow ins. Since, it's been fine.

Go get a Ranier if they work better for you, that's why we have different brands. The first year Aviators have been more trouble prone than a normal Ford product is, but GM has never shown me anything to take me away yet. If I were to buy something other than Ford, it would be Toyota/Lexus. Certainly not GM.