Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• x5oraviatorx5oraviator Member Posts: 2
    wow.. awesome feedback guys.... thanks again!
  • stumpsrstumpsr Member Posts: 2
    2004 Aviator with 31000 miles on it. Air Conditioner died on a 95 deg day this past Sunday so brought it to dealer and also had them check the brakes. Service dept said rear brakes needed to be done. On the repair envelope we put my work number to call me if needed. What do they do? Call my home and talk to my wife. The service manager says 2mm of brake pad left and that rotors could not be turned (new rotors) also that we needed ebrake assembly (emergency brake assy due to corrosion). Final cost quote $801.....I am getting a second opinion. Is this out of line for a car that is pampered and only has 30K miles? Been driving for 30 years and have never had a service person tell me I needed an ebrake assy. Am I wrong?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The ebrake assembly should be covered under warranty - no question.

If the rotors have never been turned, then they should be able to turn them without replacing them. Did he say why they needed to be replaced? If they're not warped or seriously grooved then they're probably ok.

Was the brake pad wear on just one side? The 2003/2004 Lincoln LS' have had a problem where one of the rear brakes wears out quickly. Not sure what caused it. If it's uneven wear that's a sign of a problem that should be covered under warranty.
  • jacqueusijacqueusi Member Posts: 55
    Interesting! On my 2004 Aviator, the A/C stopped working about a month ago at 40K miles.

I've been lurking these boards to see if anyone else experience an A/C failure.

Anyone else? Besides that, enjoying the vehicle although I wish the brakes were even to close to being on par with the X5.
    Want better braking? Try some Porterfield R4S street pads. If they're available for the Aviator - haven't checked myself.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    My front brakes wore out on my Navigator at 24,000 miles, and my dealer replaced the pads, and the rotors free of charge under warranty, without even a question.
  • asemaasema Member Posts: 33
    I took my Aviator to the dealer this week due to a slight pulstaing felt when braking.
    Car has 30,000 miles on it. dealer checked brakes and said the pads were fine, but they 'turned' the rotors, shaving off 1mm I believe. Is that what they should have done, or should they have put on new rotors? Any cons of turning rotors ?
    thanks.
    Not until they are too thin to shave anymore off.
  • abtrmanabtrman Member Posts: 35
    YES, I HAVE THIS PROBLEM ALSO. IT IS A VERY HIGH PITCHED WHINE.I THINK IT IS A LUBRICATION PROBLEM. IT HAS NOT BOTHERED ME ENOUGH TO WORRY ABOUT. I ALSO GET A HIGH PITCH WHINE FROM THE C.D. PLAYER. TO HAVE EITHER OF THESE PROBLEMS CORRECTED MAKES BELIEVE THE STEERING WHEEL WOULD HAVE TO BE REMOVED AND THE C.D CHANGER REPLACED.YIKES! I HATE HAVING MY BABY TAKEN APART. IT'S NEVER LIKE THE FACTORY AFTER THAT.BUT IF YOU GO,I"LL GO!
  • silver3silver3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying 05 Aviator mainly because huge discount Ford is offering now. But I'm concerned with the maintenance cost. Is this car reliable ? I plan to own more than 10 years. Usually I'm a long time owner. Any comment ?

Currently own Mercedes 2000 E class but I'm so disappointed with its quality. It gave me a lot of trouble for the maintenance. German car is not reliable anymore. I don't wanna buy german car anymore. I'm also considering Lexus because its outstanding reliability. But Rx330 has only 5 seats. Gx is too expensive. :confuse:
    will be average. Statistically, it should be better than your E class which is near the bottom of the rankings but don't expect it to be perfect. Given the current pricing I'd say it's quite a bargain and a great value. If you're still worried about it you can get a Ford extended warranty.
  • hammer995hammer995 Member Posts: 27
    Didn't Lincoln come out on top from the last reliability poll from JD powers??
    I think that was dealer satisfaction. They have been above average in quality the last several years but not #1.
    Just wanted to give my fellow Aviator owners a heads-up. Besides the AC issue I experienced earlier this year, which my service rep. noted was not uncommon, I experienced a rather scary moment after having taken a friend out to dinner last night. As I was pulling out of a parking space, I shifted my Aviator into drive and then the "shift lever" snapped off! The car was stuck in Drive. Thank God I didn't have to put the car in Reverse! I managed to get the Aviator home, put the emergency brake on, and left it running as if I had turned it off, it would not have started in the Drive position. Thankfully, my dinner guest is mechanically inclined. We pulled the rubber "cup" out of the console cup holder, removed one screw, and that gave us access to the shift knob boot. After removing the boot, I found that thee is a plastic shaft that connects to the shift knob button. The shaft had fractured off. I then wrapped what was left of the shaft in tissue paper, pulled up on the shaft and was able to move the gears into the Park position. Man, that was a tense 45 minutes.

Anyhow, I took the car to the dealership, and to my suprise, my service advisor mentioned mine wasn't the first to do that!

Anyhow, heads up. Be sure if this happens to you, either get the thing towed or be sure not to block anyone in the event that you power down the car and can't get it restarted because it's stuck in gear.
    Model year, please?
    Sorry about that! 2004 Elite 4X4 w/40K miles.
    Well, its the first I've ever seen or heard of it. Sounds like its been leaned on om kicked.
    Obviously, something happened.

Just an FYI, the plastic shaft I am referring to is very, very thin, probably 1/4 inch diameter, max, and it's hollow. PM me if you would like pics. Also, nvbanker, I'm not sure if your theory is correct as the plastic shaft itself isn't "load bearing". Rather the metal shaft that surrounds the plastic shaft and forms the base of the shifter is what I would assume would take the brunt of abuse.
  • robicurprobicurp Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I recently bought a 2003 Aviator with the 4.6 V8.
    I have discovered an intermittent noise. It is a moderately loud, quick( < 1second) whooping noise almost like a siren starting up and then abruptly stopping.
    It sounds as if it is somewhere to the rear of the driver down low. I does not really sound mechanical. It's a very clear and smooth tone, does not sound like any kind of a bearing going bad. It's not the same pitch as the backup alarm.
    I can't yet find a pattern to when it will happen.
    Has anyone else hear such a noise on their Aviators?
    Otherwise the car is great so far.
    Thanks,
    Robicurp :surprise:
    Is your A/C on when you hear that whooping noise? (Unless you're from Iceland, I expect it is).......

If so, that noise is most often a faulty expansion valve in your A/C evaporator system. It's more often a problem in the back unit than the front, but there's one up front too that could do that.
    I get a similar noise from the front passenger seat area, but strangely enough it only seems to occur when my wife is in the vehicle. Go figure! :confuse:
    OUCH! :P
    Plus, it's more of a constant whine than a whoop. I know how to get rid of it, but it's MUCH too expensive!
    Just an FYI, the shift knob issue was covered under warranty. While in the shop, I mentioned detecting that the driver's seat would shift at times during braking and turning. My dealer confirmed this and according to the documentation I received, the problem was fixed by "install[ing] clips in the power seat tracks per TSB 05-04-16.

Posting this info as I recall other's on the board experience seat shifting problems.
    Thanks! I'll have them check it when it goes back in for service.
  • b_datn01b_datn01 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2003 Aviator. I'm having issues with the DVD player. First question...Should I have received headphones and a remote? My biggest problem with the system, the I can't get the audio to play. Shouldn't the audio play through the car speakers???
  • teresahdteresahd Member Posts: 4
    i have an 04 and my howling noise is coming from my left driver side. it's quiet annoying....it's louder than my music. i am taking my car into the dearlership this week. let's see what they will say.
    If it's coming from the left rear, and the A/C is on, you probably have a stuck expansion valve in the evaporator. They will squeal.
  • cbriencbrien Member Posts: 4
    We have experienced a similar annoying rattle and have asked the dealer to fix it every time the car has been in for service in the last 23 months. (At least 10 times). This week they finally replaced the seatbelt assembly on the driver's side. So far it seems to have solved the problem, but will keep you posted if it returns.
    Our '03 Aviator has developed a very distressing problem. It blows humid foul smelliing air. The problem was first noticed in June'05 immediately upon leaving the dealership after a routine service visit. We live outside of Philadelphia and generally have a very hot and humid summer. The A/C worked fine last summer, but this year began to intermittently blow cool air and then warmer, humid air that smells foul. It has been to the dealer for service on this problem 5 times in the past two months. They have installed a moisture purge module and deodorized the entire evaporator core and case to no avail. Next visit they replaced the A/C control head. The problem persists, and recently a loud clunking noise has started when you turn on the car. Dealer says this is the A/C coming on and is 'normal'. Directed me to a service bulletin about this and suggested I turn off the A/C before leaving the car, and wait to turn it on again for several minutes after getting in the car each time. Still experience a blast of smelly humid air when the A/C comes on, and the smell persists even when the system is blowing cold air. Service people now say they cannot duplicate the concern, but are willing to take it to the 'regional rep' . We are waiting to hear when that will happen.
    Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I recently was parked next to another '03 Aviator and the owner said she had the same complaint.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Google for "electronic evaporator dryer", print a copy and show it to the dealer.

It's higher probable that this is the device they already installed by did it wrong.
    Replying to: wwest

Thanks for the info on electronic evaporator dryers. I have googled it, and printed off several articles to share with the dealer and regional rep. Glad to know the problem is out there, being recognized and solutions are being worked on.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    02 explorer - when it shuts off for about 10 minutes it sounds like the A/C is doing something, not sure what. thought i read somewhere that it is drying off the coils to avoid that problem. i would assume the aviator is same thing. is this the case or is the noise i hear something else? could it be that part has failed?
  • asemaasema Member Posts: 33
    My 2003 with 33k miles had the check engine light on yesterday. I took it in today to the dealer, and he said its says the car has a bad engine head. Now I'm not sure what that means, but he made it out to seem that it was a big problem, and it would take upto 2 days to fix.
    I'm not terribly worried about it, as long as they replace the engine 'head' and everythign works fine...but has anyone else had this problem? :confuse:
    Scroll back and you'll see that I had the same problem. It's a design problem with the DOHC heads and I've heard previous gen mustang cobras have the same problem. Took about a week to fix mine and they had to go back in and replace the head gasket as it was leaking oil. Make sure it's not leaking oil when they give it back to you.
    It is not common, but also not unknown as akirby stated. I believe it's an issue with cooling water flow in one cylinder that causes failure.
  • jowilajowila Member Posts: 3
    My '04 Aviator was hit(Hit and Run accident). Son was driving to airport to pick me up, and some jerk, hit the rear corner and sent the car across the freeway into the center divider, and the car wound up resting on 2 wheels, or center divider. Has anyone had an accident, or know of a site that I can look at other Aviators that have been in an accident? I think mine is a total loss. I had 04 2WD. Barely had 10,000 Miles on it
  • aa8qfaa8qf Member Posts: 34
    Just a follow up on my HVAC issue from earlier posts. After many months and help from a great attorney, Lincoln has agreed to buy back my Aviator for the full purchase price minus $1000 for the use of the vehicle for the last year and a half. Interestingly, they stated they were buying it back because of a steering issue that they thought would be problematic at trial. This issue was fixed long ago, and I believe they just didn't want to admit to buying another one back because of the HVAC problem. For those of you with the HVAC problem (i.e. anyone in cold climate), be persistent and get a good attorney. Now I understand why the Detroit Lions are such a bad football team.
    Oh brother......
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I fail to understand the analogy between pro football and the Aviator, but no matter. These forums are about autos and auto industry, so sports are irrelevant.
  • cruising2cruising2 Member Posts: 4
    I have a new 2005 Aviator (love the vehicle and got a great deal). I tried following the manual to turn off the Beltminder, but I can't get it to work.

I have tried to follow it exactly, but I must be missing something obvious.

Anyone else have luck with this? Thanks.
  • cruising2cruising2 Member Posts: 4
    I have a new 2005 Aviator. I am trying to figure out 2 things with the Navigation system.

1st, is there any way to override the buttons going gray when I am in motion. I saw that on other vehicles there is a service menu that would let you turn this on and off. Any idea if this can be done?

2nd, anyone understand exactly how Detour works? If I am on a highway for 15 miles, and I want to detour around the next 3 miles, how do I use it? It seems like the detour settings is for how far "away" from the highway to go - not the distance to detour around.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
  • genniphergennipher Member Posts: 5
    We have a brand new silver 2005 with the same problem. Have you been advised of any new changes yet?
    We bought two aviators in 3 days- The silver one howls form the rear end- otherwise is perfect The Blue one is the biggest peice of Crap I have ever owned- Can anyone give me any ideas on what to do next- Here is what I have
    3 days after we purchased the vehcil it went into the shop because we boght it with a shimmy in the steering wheel- we were advised that it was a washer and could be fixed easily- it was not I have had the tires balanced- rotated, the drive shaft was replaced- the power steering return hose was replaced- a new set of tires put on the car-made the shimming/shaking worse, etc. etc. etc. The car shkes at all speeds, the steering wheel turns about a inch when your brake just normally the car pulls hard to the left when braking slighly harder and pulls ot the left at highway speeds. any suggestions?
    What area are you in? I am in desperate need of an attorney- Lincoln has advised me that my aviator runs "pretty good" and should be left alone- it has major mechanical issues.
    Tahnks gen
    DON'T DO IT- the discount is not worth the msny trips to the shop- we bought two- one has been in the shop 6 times for 245 days the other 3 times
    The best way to eliminate the beltminder is to WEAR YOUR SEATBELT at all times.
  • herb30herb30 Member Posts: 3
    Our 2003 Aviator had so many problems it was the worst car we have owned in 35 years. After my wife told the dealer she was going to paint a yellow lemon sign on the side of the SUV and park it in front of the dealership we had a new 2004 Aviator in 36 hours, gratis.

No problem with the 2004 Aviator except an intermittent howl from the left rear AC vent. The dealership can not find it and they said it never happened when they had the car.
    Your intermittant howl from the left rear, is a bad expansion valve in the rear unit. Tell the dealer that, and that you want them to replace it.
  • aa8qfaa8qf Member Posts: 34
    I live in Minnesota - near Minneapolis. Excellent attorney there. You may want to request a packet from Lincoln to submit to the DSB (dispute settlement board). With those problems, you might have a little better luck with the DSB than I had. See earlier posts for more info on this. I'm sorry - I don't check this board much, as I have washed my hands of my aviator.