Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• avi05avi05 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue with my 05. Also, my driver's side windows both front and back won't open. Taking it in tomorrow.

Did you get your flickering fixed?
  • ldr63ldr63 Member Posts: 12
    My 2003 Aviator is stalling at 40-50 mph. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong with it? Could it be the computer or the transmission?
  • jrshererjrsherer Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am new to this site but I wanted to ask if bradlmj had any results from Ford on repairing the head? I bought a used 03 Aviator and it just hit 70k miles. It has a rough idle and the engine light came on. The dealer said "cracked head, $3600 please" my mechanic said faulty valve in the head, $2000!! Either way, very expensive. 2 different mechanics said drive it like it is. It may never get worse or if it does fix it then. Any advice? Ford said no assistance available even though they issued a TSB.
  • bradlmjbradlmj Member Posts: 5
    I am still around.. Yep.. sounds about the same as the problem I had. It could be either one of the problems you described and the mechanic will know if he sends the head to a machine shop. Mine was a valve that had worked its way loose. If they just buy a new head then it really doesn't matter what is wrong. But the heads are pretty pricey and a good machine shop can fix them if it is just a valve.. I finally went with a mechanic in town from a recommendation from the Ford dealership believe it or not.. Cost me 2k but so far so good and a lot better than the dealers price. I really hate the way Lincoln/Ford treated me and have to remind myself in the future when even considering a ford product. You are really stuck with the problem because resell is just not an option(at least it wasn't for me). The rough idle if similar to mine was just to noticable and to be frank I could not treat another poor sap the way I was treated so I fixed it.. I do like the lincoln but if they are looking for customer loyalty they will not find it here. I just laugh when I get the offers in the mail for new lincolns.. What a bunch of ... well you get the picture.. Good luck with yours..
  • boomer44boomer44 Member Posts: 1
    The speakers in my 04 aviator 'cut out'every once in a while Sometimes it is the drivers door speaker that shuts down other times the pass. door speaker is off and sometimes both door speakers are off with only the very rear speakers on. Most of the time the speakers work fine. The dealer replaced the radio but this did not help too much.
  • jrshererjrsherer Member Posts: 2
    My 6 disk changer will not change between cd's. When I try to go to another CD it stops working and reads CD error. Once I turn off the car and restart it the CD player will start on the disk I was trying to get to before. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an easy repair? (yeah right!)
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Does yours have the Nav system integrated? That's what I have in my 04 Navigator. Every once in a while, if I try to load or eject disk 6, the thing hangs up and stops working and the only fix is to shut the car off and turn on again. Unfortunately, I can not make this happen predictably so havent taken it to dealer yet.
  • lov1978lov1978 Member Posts: 2
    I have a question...it seems that I can't find this thing anywhere on the net and even the dealer doesn't know what I am talking about because of course it doesn't happen when I go to them!

The steering wheel sometimes shakes (vibrates might be a better word)...but it only happens when I am turn or cutting the wheel where the road is bumpy. Recently I park on some snow and felt it happening there as well, but I do not hae advance trac on my truck. Sometimes (rarely) it will also happen when I am turning to pull into a parking space...anyone know what this is? prayerfully SOMEONE can help me because I am not sure this is normal. I am not use to the luxury cars (last was a 95 taurus) so this might just be a feature...but please help me out on this one if you can....thank you in advance! :cry:
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    My guess would be the steering rack and/or power steering pump.
  • bones302bones302 Member Posts: 6
    So I stumbled across this site a couple of weeks ago and am scared out of my mind with all the head/valve issues I have been reading on the higher mileage Aviators. I have a 2004 Aviator (built April '04) with 30k on it and am afraid that I am going to have to replace my head(s) in 20 or 30 thousand miles.

So my question is: Are there any Aviator owners with over
    50 thousand or so miles on the clock who HAVEN'T experienced any of these head or valve issues?

-thanks,
    Frank
    I think you are describing the same problem experienced by many Aviator owners here, including myself.

This is the famous power steering shudder:

Component Description:
    16. STEERING
    Bulletin Number: 0566
    Bulletin Date: APR 2005
    Vehicle: 2004 Lincoln Aviator

Summary:
    LOW SPEED STEERING SHUDDER DURING LOW-SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10017902 )

if you do a search for steering shudder on this forum, you'll see what I'm talking about. Take the TSB number to the dealer for reference.

He will probably try to put an additive in your power steering system first. This may or may not work. If not, then he will have to replace a couple of components in the steering system to fix it (hopefully your Aviator is still under warranty).
  • ditaly03ditaly03 Member Posts: 3
    Just got my wife a 03 Aviator. Can anyone tell me what the lock in rear window on the driver's side is for. I've tried to use in but I have no idea what I am locking and unlocking. Bought from CarMAx ...guess I'll be going to the Lincoln dealership. Any help would be appreciated
    I assume you don't have an owner's manual? You can download one here for free:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

But I can tell you the button is simply a power door lock/unlock switch just like the ones on the front doors. It allows you to unlock (or lock) the other doors easily after loading/unloading cargo.
  • lov1978lov1978 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much! I never would have looked up steering shuder, lol.
    The truck is no longer under warranty, but they will still fix what I complained about before the warranty was out if I bring it back.
    Thank you so much! Thank you....I don't know you, but I love you! lol...you just don't know, the people looked at me like I was making this up. :shades:
  • mw3000mw3000 Member Posts: 24
    just to let you know i have 43,000 with no head, valve problems, (knock on wood).
    ok, well so far we have 43k miles and 44k miles (from the general Lincoln Aviator forum) as the highest mileage vehicles with no head/valve problems!

I had someone else comment that this issue has nothing to do with higher mileage, but I don't know.
    Our head had to be replaced around 25K-30K miles. That's why I don't think it's a mileage or wear issue.
    well i hope your right, and i got a good one. i am presently doing some extensive modifications and if the aviator starts go under, i will be sad. :(
  • ditaly03ditaly03 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help. I have a 03 Nav also ....ever hear of any problem with the 6 disc in dash player ????????
    Not specifically on the Nav but it's used across the lineup and there have been a few problems noted in other vehicles.
  • doowopbobdoowopbob Member Posts: 4
    I've got 70000 miles without a problem.
    I'm also having this same problem with both seats. No heating, no cooling, no power to buttons. Any ideas?
    Fuse?
  • wity1wity1 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem and recplaced the seat module, located under each seat. if your switch don't light up (red/blue) change the modules first from left to right side or reverse.
    Fuses look OK. At least from what I could see there isn't a fuse that is common to both seats and nothing else.
    Thanks for the suggestion...Will one seat module cause the switches for both seats to not light up?
  • wity1wity1 Member Posts: 3
    every side works individual. I do not believe that both modules quit at the same time. maybe you can doubleckeck with a obd.
    :shades:
    wow, 70k. That's great!
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    Did you mean 12,000 miles or is it really 1.200 miles? Either way, seems like a good deal with the 75K warranty. My wife has an '04 with 28,000; we've had the power steering "shudder" fixed, disconnected the incessant "bonging" of the seat belt reminder and it's now in for a nav system that keeps getting lost. Nothing really major as far as we're concerned; and, my wife threatens to divorce me if I even consider selling it. (I'd like to move into a Cad SRX.) Because I wouldn't own ANY car without an extended warranty, this seems like a great deal to me. We're extremely pleased with the Aviator and plan to make a 10,000 mile trip out to Napa and back in the Spring. The gas mileage could be better, but -- you can't have everything. We'll put the seats down in the back, load it up with dog and luggage and wander down the road like the Clampett's; and -- don't expect a lot of trouble.
    Luck on the purchase
  • abtrmanabtrman Member Posts: 35
    JUST HAD MY 04 AV. IN TH SHOP FOR A ROUGH IDLE,WAS TOLD EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL AND THAT NO CODES WERE NOTED.THEY CHANGED THE IDLE CONTROL.TOOK THE CAR TO GO HOME AND IT DIED AND RESTARTED ALL THE WAY HOME!! I TOOK IT TO ANOTHER DEALER CLOSER TO WORK. THEY FOUND A BAD COIL AND A FOULED PLUG! HOW COULD THIS BE OVERLOOKED FROM THE FIRST DEALER!?ANYWAY THE CAR RUNS MUCH BETTER BUT I STILL NOTE A SLIGHT HESITATION AT 500 TO 1000 RPM. WHEN HOLDING PEDAL IN PARK AT 1000 RPM, THE ENGINE WILL DROP TO 500 RPM.WHEN ATTEMPTING TO GET BACK TO 1000 THERE IS HESITATION AND IT REVES UP TO 2000 RPM! DEALER SAYS THAT IS NORMAL.IT DIDN'T HAPPEN BEFORE SO HOW DID IT JUST BECOME NORMAL? I WENT BACK TO THE ORIGINAL DEALER FOR A FOLLOW-UP.I WAS TOLD THAT IF THERE WAS A PROBLEM, THERE WOULD BE CODES.BUT WHEN I DEFTLY POINTED OUT THAT NO CODES WERE GIVEN WHEN THE KIDS AND I WERE IN IN THE MIDDLE OF A SIX LANE HIGHWAY WITH A DEAD ENGINE,HE BACKED OFF HIS POSITION PRETTY QUICKLY.HE SAID THEY COULDN'T FIND ANY PROBLEMS SO GO AHEAD AND DRIVE IT FOR A COUPLE HUNDRED MILES AND SEE IF IT GETS WORSE.I'M CONSIDERING HAVING IT DIAGNOSED BY AN OUTSIDE TECHNICIAN.NO ONE REALLY KNOWS HOW YOUR VEHICLE PERFORMS BETTER THAN YOURSELF.IT'S VERY FRUSTRATING TO HEAR EVERYTHING IS NORMAR WHEN YOU KNOW IT'S NOT! I THINK THERE MAY BE OTHER FOULED PLUGS.I'M CONSIDERING CHANGING THEM EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT SCHEDULED UNTIL IT HITS 100K. I WANT MY POWER BACK!! I ALSO WENT IN TO HAVE PAINT AND BODY LOOK AT PEELING PAINT ON THE BODY-SIDE MOULDING AND THE LINCOLN MEDALLION JUST UNDER THE LIFT-GATE.THE MEDALLION WAS APPROVED FOR REPAIR BUT THE MOULDING WAS DENIED. THE REASON WAS IT APPEARED TO BE CAUSED BY A PRIOR "INCIDENT".NO OTHER EVIDENCE WAS PRESENTED TO JUSTIFY THE DENIAL! AND TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY THEY HAD TO PERFORM A 'TAPE TEST'TO VERIFY THE LACK OF PROPER PAINT ADHESION.THAT VERIFICATION YANKS OFF AN EVEN LARGER HUNK OF PAINT!! SO NOW I HAVE EVEN LESS PAINT AND EVEN MORE AGGRAVATION!I LOVE MY AV BUT LINCOLN SURE MAKES IT HARD TO KEEP MY LOYALTY. I'M GOING TO APPEAL THE PAINT ISSUE.IT'S NOT THE MONEY SO MUCH AS IT JUST AIN'T RIGHT THAT THEY THEY DO NOT OWN-UP THE PROBLEM.I'VE ALSO NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE TO TELL THEM ABOUT ANY SERVICE BULLETINS BECAUSE THEY DON'T ALWAYS CHECK AND WHEN THEY SAY THERE ARE NONE, I'VE HAD TO WHIP IT OUT ON THEM.THEY REALLY HATE THAT!BUT HEY DO YOUR JOB!THANKS FOR LETTING ME VENT. ANY ADVICE OR SIMILAR CONCERNS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
    Sounds like you and I are having the same problems. I have an '03 Aviator with 69,000 miles and had stalling/restarting and rough idle problems too. Have you experienced hesitation/hiccups or surges? I had my plugs and wires and idle air control motor replaced and the problems still exist. I'm now going to repair the Mass Air Flow sensor and see if that helps. I've been working on this problem since November and am still struggling with it. The local shop can't get it right and I don't feel like getting the run-around with the dealer but will soon give up and be forced to go there. Like you, I really enjoy my Aviator and hope my own research will soon solve my problems. Check out this website. It explains how to repair the Mass Air Flow sensor on your own.

http://autotechrepair.suite101.com Do a search for Ford Mass Air Flow Sensors
    Have you replaced the coil packs?

I think some folks had success replacing coil packs for the cylinder(s) in question.

Are there any codes coming up?
    Where would I see the codes? On my dashboard or do I have to have the shop pull up the codes on their equipment? I haven't replaced the coil packs - maybe that's my next step. Thanks.
    The check engine light would normally be on if a code was present (but not always). Autozone will read the codes for free.
    just wanted to let you know i had the same problem and it was one of the coils. no check engine light came on, but the dealer figured it out on the first try, lucky me. mike
    Thanks Mike, we found one coil and one plug to be the problem,but I suspect there are more.Hope your luck rubs off.
    Yes I have had the hesitation but no hiccups.My power has come back.I'm still very fast off the line,but that low idle roughness still persists.I'll try the m.a.f.s. before the plugs and wires due to it not woking for you.Let me know if it works for you in case you change yours first.Thanks for the info.
  • luuucasluuucas Member Posts: 1
    Have any of you guys tried to reset the instrument panel compass? Mine is reading incorrectly and I tried to reset it using the instructions in the manual and it won't work. I'm trying to get to the part where you drive around in a circle to reset it. I took it to the dealer and they reset the navigation compass, not what I wanted. Thanks in advance. I have an 04 by the way.
  • 04aviator04aviator Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I just bought a 2004 with 40,000 from a dealer in San Diego and wanted to know if it had any kind of traction control or limited slip. Where do I locate the codes to disect the vin? Can the Ford dealer do that for me?
  • adameadame Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I have an Aviator'04 4x2.Has anybody ever had any problem with the shifter that moves forward when it is put into park? Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • tami3tami3 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am not too happy with my aviator, The engine has been on for about a year, sometimes but not all the time the engine skips or jumps, my RPM will shoot up to 7 or 8 and then my message says to check fuel cap or transmission. One time the repair man said no codes were showing up, my gas did not appear to have water in it, and he could not find anything wrong with it. The next time it happened he said multiple codes appeared and now he seems to think it is the computer. Does anyone else have an idea? I have been car less for 1 month waiting for the computer chip to be special made. If it turns out not to be the real problem I need a plan B. Wish I would have kept my Navigator !!! It was the best.

Tami :mad:
    Tami,

I also have an Aviator and am experiencing the SAME problems as you. One person said it could be the coil packs. I will have the dealer check that soon.
  • ajn51ajn51 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue on my 04 Aviator 4x2. Dealer looked at it and said it was normal, caused by the transmission "pawl" seating in proper location. I don't buy it.
  • adameadame Member Posts: 3
    That's exactly what they told me. I am just worried if's gonna get worst after the warranty expired.
  • rickz713rickz713 Member Posts: 4
    First, the passenger heat/cool seat functions died. Now, the driver's side heat/cool/ and all power adjustment functions are dead. How can I check this and fix it?
    My '03 Aviator has been with the dealer for 4 days now to fix this problem. I suggested looking at the coils/coil packs but instead they're telling me the stalling is due to a low voltage coming from the battery and the keys needing to be reprogrammed. Does this make sense to anyone?
    Battery - maybe. Keys? No way.
  • dodge01dodge01 Member Posts: 12
    My wife bought an 04 Aviatior in Oct 06 with 20k mi on it. Shortly after it started an on and off problem of occasionally "popping" out of gear while driving, usually around 3-4 hear. The shifter didnt move, just popped out of gear. It finally developed into a frequent occurance and I took it in.

The dealership fiddled with the transmission and ended up replacing a solenoid? ( they said the wrong one was on it? )The problem started happening again about two blocks from the dealership (as I left). This time they said they had to "clear the memory" since this transmission learns your driving habits and learns to shift more efficiently.

The problem has started again (april 07) but only seems to happen to me (wife says car doesnt like me). It is becoming a safety issue and I am going to take it in but wanted to see if anyone else has had similar problems??

Also, sometimes after backing out of driveway and shifting to drive there is a delay of 5sec or so before the transmission engages.

(told her not to buy a Ford)

Dodge01
  • jd1017jd1017 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 awd Aviator. I've had no problems at all with the vehicle and have passed the 50K mark. I was recently in for an oil change an mentioned the idle seems to be a bit off when in gear at stop signs/traffic lights. They replaced the air filters an be damned if its not like a rocket again, better mileage too! The fix was inexpensive. Aside from a rather obscure split on the back lift gate near the emblem (what the heck is that about?) a "goodwill" replacement and $200.00 of my money (more annoying that anything else)the Av has been awesume!

Is there a lincoln gripe site I can voice my annoyance with the lift gate issue?
    Thanks...great forum!!