Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kboogey718kboogey718 Member Posts: 2
    Wish I would have read this post (No. 373) prior to purchasing this piece of crap. Luckily i managed to fixed the shift lever myself with some plastic and epoxy. Can't believe the dealer want $1000to fix a problem that's been ongoing since 2005, what a rip off!! :lemon:
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Check under the car near the front tire - you should see a drain tube. Remove any debris. Or you can try unclogging it from the top with a wire, snake or air/water pressure.
  • susanmariejsusanmariej Member Posts: 4
    How do you reset the computer after an oil change. The "Change Oil Soon" lights continue to show.
    The instructions are in the owner's manual. It's a combination of using the setup and reset buttons. Manuals are available online here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp
  • waamanwaaman Member Posts: 15
    Go to the screen where it shows the oil status. e.g. 40% or "oil needs to be changed. etc. HOld the reset button in for 10 seconds or more until you see it default back to 0.
    Thank you. We never held the button down long enough. Dohhhh
    My check tire pressure light remains on. The pressure has been checked and matches the manuals recommendations. It used to just happen when the weather turned cool/cold {for So Cal} Now it's doing it more often than not.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
    Susan
  • smartyjonseysmartyjonsey Member Posts: 3
    My Aviator is doing the exact same thing. What did you ever do to get this resolved? Did you find an easy repair??? (doubtful!) Thanks
  • waamanwaaman Member Posts: 15
    After installing new tires, I had to bring it to the dealer for reprogamming. Error condition disappeared after that.
  • mikey58mikey58 Member Posts: 1
    03' Aviator service engine light came on and it idols rough while in gear and stopped, I'm thinking O2 sensor anybody had this problem?
  • hiram357hiram357 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 aviator will not start when the temp outside is less than 52 degrees. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?
  • aviatorguyaviatorguy Member Posts: 11
    My 2004 aviator (45k miles) recently started having brief moments of "hesitation" at speeds between 40 - 55mph, when accelerating. I took it to the Ford dealer thinking transmission and they indicated it was the intake manifold tuning valve.
    Replacement cost per the dealer is $1100.
    Coincidentally, I've contacted a local Firestone dealer who indicated labor would be $470, gaskets $120, and they could likely clean the valve that probably has oil residue on it.
    Questions:
    Is there any aftermarket product I can purchase, spray in the manifold to help eliminate any buildup?
    Has anyone been through this? Is the dealer on point? Is the Firestone shop on point in indicating the valve should be cleanable?
    Thoughts?
  • bill03bill03 Member Posts: 3
    My '03 Aviator was doing the same thing. I also thought it was the transmission but the dealer found no problem with the transmission. (the problem lasted several months). Recently it was sluggish starting and I replaced the battery. The hesitation and fluttering stopped as well. I spoke with a mechanic who told me a weak battery could have been causing the problem. You might want to have your battery checked.
  • ntecntec Member Posts: 17
    Well got the bad news my transmission on my 03 Aviator is slipping big time went to Gallinger Ford in Milton Ontario and they quoted me $4900 for a new transmission all in.I have it at my independent mechanic they quoted $3300 so gonna fix it .This car may get divorce papers soon if there is no improvement'

.This is why I hate automatics my 02 infinity g20 has 232,000 kms and the 5 speed manual still shifting away.If it wasn't for my wife I would never own a automatic vehicle. :sick:
    And how many clutches have you replaced?
  • jorie_4jorie_4 Member Posts: 6
    Well be careful because I too have an 03 and have had my tranny replaced 4 times since I hit 100k/ a year and a half ago. Funny, huh? I really think Ford owes us some serious cash on these junky cars they put on the market. Once the car hit 90k, everything started falling apart...!
  • kendall8kendall8 Member Posts: 28
    did you change the transmission fluid every 30k?
    did you get it fixed?
    Can it make to 150,000. I have 37k, on a 2003.
  • wontbuylinconlwontbuylinconl Member Posts: 1
    For the last few days my cruise control works off and on and when I turn my 03 Aviator off the tail lights won't go off. What can the problem be?
    Tail lights - or brake lights? Are any other steering wheel buttons affected? If so it's probably the clock spring in the steering wheel. Brake lights could be a bad switch on the brake pedal itself. When you start the car can you shift out of park without stepping on the brake? If so it's a bad switch.
  • abtrmanabtrman Member Posts: 35
    I took my 04 Aviator in to the dealer due to a loud knocking from the engine.After a few hours I was informed that the engine would have to be torn down but preliminary findings point to piston or rod issues.Even though the noise could be heard under the valve cover.They are now asking for oil change records.There should be roughly eighteen changes required at 5k intervals.I can only find eleven.Can anyone offer any advice as to what the problems may be? And what kind of problem might I encounter if I can't produce "all" the service records? And what about the changes I performed myself? They have not performed the tear down yet.So how are they able to rule out the head or rocker arms or other top-end components?Thanks.
    I am having the same issue now, when ever I reverse and place the shift back to drive postition, I get a loud knock and quick jerk. How many miles do you have on your truck?
    I have 95k,but I think we have two problems.Mine is a consistent knock from the engine itself.The other problem I have as well.There is a T.S.B. on it.Apparently the fluid used had a viscosity issue.The dealer added an additive that was supposed to fix the problem.It did...for a while.Now it's back.It is aggravating and embarrasing.I love the idea of this car but I'm sure not loving the actual car.
  • bostoncigarbostoncigar Member Posts: 23
    Oil Change .. bunch of crap. There is a serious problem with the design of this engine. I had to rebuild mine at 52K, 2k after the warranty ran out. I had to fight Ford to cover it. File a complaint with NHTSB. Ford won't owe up to the problem with this engine. There is a TSB bulletin on this fix. Cylinder's 7-8 fail because of the the two part valve cover. I see class action suit in the making with Ford!
    I'm going to attemp to replace the brake pads this coming weekend. I have disc brakes on all 4 wheels.
    Question:
    I've had a vehicle or two where I could NOT retract the pistons with a "C" clamp and had to have a special tool to twist the pistons back into their housings.
    Anyone know if this is the case with the Aviator?
    Thanks in advance - David
    Yes - you need the special tool to retract the rear brake calipers (turns the piston). This is due to the parking brake mechanism. Get the NAPA Ford version, not the generic cube that fits everything. This is true for any Ford with rear disc brakes.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Hmmm.... I've done the front and rear brakes on a Ford Explorer and Lincoln Blackwood and both were doable with only the C clamp.
    Do you have the specifics on which way to turn (clockwise / counter clockwise) (driverside / passenger)?
    Thanks - David
    I think you turn clockwise while pushing in on both rear calipers. I know it's on the driver's side for sure.

I guess it's possible the trucks don't use the same mechanism - never had to change the pads in my Aviator so I'm not 100% sure.
    I absolutely agree, there is something wrong with this suv. I myself have had to replace my tranny 4x. and I am only at 115k. I have called Ford on the many issues of this suv, but no help. I am with you with the class action, just let me know where to sign up!
    I cant find the TSB on CYL 7-8. I have 40,000 on a 2003. Can I do anything now to stop, from getting bad heads. TY
  • flex7flex7 Member Posts: 2
    abtrman - where did you start your "fight" with Ford? I have a 2004 Aviator - 4 months and 2K miles out of warranty, with low compression in cylinder #7. Dealer has it now and is selling me a head replacement $4500 or an engine replacement $5900. I am sick! Any tips on going head to head with them to cover it?
    If it's out of warranty they won't cover it. Mine failed under warranty and I traded it in on an Edge shortly after the warranty expired.

Just because something is a known issue doesn't mean they're responsible for extending the warranty to cover it.

There is a reason they discontinued it and the engine.
    Nope.. it is going to happen. Either buy an extended warranty or make sure it happens before the warranty gives up. Ford does not have to make good on this problem.... They turned a nice profit last year.. without my money.. so the hell with me. I am driving a Lexus now.
    They will ask you for your oil change records.. because they do not want to admit this is a design flaw with the engine. You need to go to the zone rep with Ford. I called Bill Ford (himself) - the Chairman and got results. Most people don't have the balls to do that. The dealer can cough up $1K to help on their own if you have a good relationship with them. I had a FORD dealership do the work NOT a Lincoln dealership... maybe that helped. Ford picked up 2/3rds of my cost. Engine rebuild will cost $5500. You just tell them to read these message boards and they are chasing away generational Ford owners because of their inaction. They did not pick up all of my expense so I am driving a Lexus now. Mine blew at 52K miles. I sold the card at 77K miles via Craigslist for not much $$.

Lexus will end up being far cheaper car to own. I bought it as a CPO and it has a 100K warranty on everything. Best resale value of all the makers.

The TSB bulletin details the problem.
    Well I have not had to fight just yet.Other than some miscommunication about when the tear-down inspection was supposed start,my dealer has been pretty good.They have had it since last wednesday.I received a call today stating the following;Brass and metal shavings in the crankcase and oil pan,score marks on the camshaft,and other assorted but smaller interior engine damage.The mechanic said he has seen it before but is at a loss as to the cause.The service rep.said he can't see why Ford would not cover it because the cause is unknown.I should know by friday.They reccommend a complete engine replacement.I would reccommend finding any postings on sites with your same problem and print them.Then ask your dealer for an after warranty adjustment.They may help in order to keep you as a customer.If not go as high up the food chain at Ford that you can get.There is a lot of information on thier shareholders page as to the corporate ladder.More to follow.
    I believe the TSB you need is service bulletin 06513/ NHTSA item # 10019912.This info can be found on NHTSA.GOV and SAFERCAR.GOV.Two other good resources for TSB info is Carlemon.com and Allworldauto.com.I,m not sure what can be done to prevent it due to it being a design flaw as opposed to "driver error".I saw one post that described an aluminum head that did not allow for proper removal of exhaust gases from those two cylinders thus allowing for excess heat, which spells death for an aluminum head.I can't verify that this is true but it sounds very plausible in light of what we've seen.You should really review all TSB's so you can jump on the problem right away.Knowledge is power.Good luck.
    Yes, because Toyota has never had any problems and refused to fix it. It's not like they tried to blame engine sludge on the owners and refused to cover the repair, or they blamed uncontrolled acceleration on the floor mats, or they refused to stop selling dangerous vehicles for 5 days while they had their lawyers find out if it was a requirements.

Oh wait........

Every vehicle has design flaws. Vehicles are not warrantied against design flaws - they're warrantied against defects for a specific time period. While it would be nice if Ford would extend the warranty and cover these problems, I certainly don't think it's required nor would I expect the same from any other mfr.
    Just received a call from the dealer stating that the inspector from Ford has to look at the engine.Should have an answer by monday.I'll keep you posted.
    I generally agree with you except for one thing.Design flaws can cause defects.The Corvair for example had a design flaw that caused it to flip over during moderate cornering manuevers.the Chevy Vega had a gas tank that ruptured during rear-end impacts.They corrected it by changing the design...which was flawed.Don't let them off so easily.These flaws are often ignored because the design remodel would be more expensive than just passing the cost along to the consumer via after warranty repairs.These companies need to understand that we remember when we are treated poorly and factor that in when shopping for a new vehicle.I'm not asking for a handout,just a hand.
    Of course design flaws can lead to a defect, but that doesn't change how the defect should be handled. And obviously they decided to discontinue the vehicle and engine rather than spend money to fix the design flaw. It was a business decision and it will result in some unhappy customers who may not buy another Ford. I would not be happy either if I had to pay for the repair. But I don't believe that vehicle mfrs are responsible for all design flaws, known or otherwise, or any other defects outside of the warranty period.

I suspect the actual number of failures are low percentage wise and didn't warrant any special treatment. That doesn't matter to those who had the problem out of warranty.

If you want the mfr to be responsible for repairs outside of the warranty period - buy the extended warranty and you're covered. If you choose not to buy one then you take your chances. I don't hole that against Ford.
    I see your point.I don't agree but I understand.I purchased the extended warranty more out of fear rather than a desire for a little "extra" protection.You see I know that these companies hide known problems with the explicit intent to wait-out the problem hoping that the warranty expires before the problem arises.If that were not the case,they would warrant the vehicle for a longer period so as to cover the known defects.I suspect that the number of failures as a percentage are actually higher than we know due to owners just sucking-it-up and paying the bill.Probably not even knowing that a bad design was the issue.How many people,myself included paid hundreds of dollars to replace failing coils that proved to be defective?

As for any company,they are always responsible for design flaws regardless of when they occur.Cosco just recalled millions of playpens that were sold as long as fifteen years ago.These too were out of warranty but were found to be defective due to design.So I do hold it against whoever designed the product that failed.Who else would be to blame? We trusted them,now they have keep our trust and make it right.
    Does anyone know if the engine has been redesigned to fix the cracked head problem? Is this engine being installed on any other current model? If you replace your Aviator engine, which engine will they use? What is the meaning of life? Sorry,I got carried away.
    You see I know that these companies hide known problems with the explicit intent to wait-out the problem hoping that the warranty expires before the problem arises.If that were not the case,they would warrant the vehicle for a longer period so as to cover the known defects.

There might be one or two companies doing this, but by and large that's not how it works. The manufacturer determines up front how much they'll have to pay in warranty repairs on a vehicle and that is factored into the vehicle cost. It doesn't matter whether they cover it for 1 year or 10 years - the only difference is the cost. If they choose to only cover 4 yrs/50K miles then that's all you're paying for and if you want move coverage you buy an extended warranty.

This is not a safety issue, therefore no recall is warranted. It's not a problem that affects a high percentage of owners and there are many vehicles where this problem never occurs. So Ford does what every other mfr would do which is to fix the problem if it happens under warranty.

That's the way warranties work, whether it's cars or cell phones or universal remotes. There is no conspiracy here.

As for any company,they are always responsible for design flaws regardless of when they occur.Cosco just recalled millions of playpens that were sold as long as fifteen years ago.These too were out of warranty but were found to be defective due to design.

Umm......those are SAFETY defects and they're recalled and fixed BY LAW. You can't compare government mandated safety recalls with simple product failures. No company would voluntarily recall and fix a 15 yr old product other than for child safety reasons.
    Does anyone know if the engine has been redesigned to fix the cracked head problem? Is this engine being installed on any other current model?

The DOHC heads were discontinued when the Aviator was discontinued in 2006. You don't replace the engine, just the head. If you get a replacement it will be the same head design and subject to the same failure rates as the originals.

Like I said - there are reasons why they discontinued this model.
    Years ago.. in a land far far away when I was still a college student and owned a VW Rabbit.. the engine had developed a problem of excess oil consumption. I managed the conversations with VW for my and my GF's VW Rabbit (we happened to have identical year Rabbits). VW fixed hers (under a mileage warranty 50K) (this must have been in 1980) and then later much later mine at nearly 80K since they had a record of my complaint. They fixed it (valve tapped problem) at no charge. You know how many VWs I sold for them.. dozens. I also purchase 5 more VWs for me and later for my wife before I switched to larger cars and Ford. Ford screwed me for a known problem 2K after my warranty expired for a 53K Lincoln! I am now driving Lexus. Need I say more??? You know how many people (including former CEO's of Ford and GM I have told this story to? Take care of your customer!!!!!!
    I'm not saying that it would be bad for Ford to do this - it would be great customer service. But this isn't 1980 and I doubt you could get VW to do that today.

As for Lexus, I guess you conveniently forgot that Toyota refused to cover engine sludge IN WARRANTY by blaming the customer for poor maintenance. At least Ford covers defects during the warranty period without blaming the customer. And Ford's only accelerate when your foot is on the pedal.
    http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.html?type=tsb&styleId=100290383&zip- =02481

Component Description:
    6. ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE Bulletin Number: 06513
    Bulletin Date: Jan 2006

Vehicle: 2,004 Lincoln Aviator
    Summary:
    ENGINE MISFIRE WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) PEWEE, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307, P0308, AND P0316. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10019912 )

Component Description:
    7. ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING Bulletin Number: 041601
    Bulletin Date: Nov 2005

Vehicle: 2,004 Lincoln Aviator
    Summary:
    WDS COP KIT DIAGNOSTIC TIP - COIL ON PLUG (COP) IGNITION SYSTEMS - ENGINE MISFIRE OR ROUGH RUNNING. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10018745 )
  • jasonn6jasonn6 Member Posts: 4
    Well, I have unknowingly just joined this community of the infamously flawed Lincoln Aviator and its engine. I just purchased mine, a 2003 Aviator AWD with 80K...I purchased it from a small private dealer in San Diego..Loved the look, searched a few sites to see if there were any major issues..I only read a few reviews and most customers stated that they have a few minor probs but enjoy the Aviator over all. I noticed during my test drive the idle was a little low but it ran great so thought nothing of it...I purchased it on 1/27/10.

3 days after the purchase....GUESS what??!!...Check engine light comes on...then starts to flash when i was waiting at a traffic light...I immediately drove to Pep Boy to check the code...
    MISFIRE CYL #8 :(

I now have come to realize im totally done for...I have a 3 month 3Kmiles warranty they gave me but I think its going to be a battle to have a engine rebuild covered...

I read that there is a factory extended 10 year 100+k warranty on the coils of the Aviator. you just need to have the dealer test the coil(s).. Although i fear that the valve are the unfortunate plague.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

After Warranty Adjustment?? Secret Warranties?

Im in Los Angeles any one have any luck with dealers in the San Fernando Valley? Galpin?
    Thanks in advance!!
  • jasonn6jasonn6 Member Posts: 4
    Con't....

I am also pretty confident the small dealer knew about this problem and sold it to me anyways... Unfortunately, there is no way to prove this...

After, I checked the check engine light code with Pep Boy, I asked if the code could be erased from the memory...He said yes, it's easy and he thinks its quite common practice with private dealers.. the check engine light didn't come on when I test drove it and it took a few days for the computer to see the error. something like.. it has to see the error at least 3 times during 50 turn key cycles...

:(
    What a debacle... thoughts?