Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator Maintenance and Repair

1131415161719»

Comments

• aviatorguyaviatorguy Member Posts: 11
    Agree with the posts. A couple of thoughts -
    I had a similar issue and the dealership diagnosed as an "Intake Manifold Tuning Valve". After that was fixed, I've had to replace a couple of the cylinder coils. Both the tuning valve and the coils create similar "hesitation" type symptoms.
    Hopefully it's a coils as they are $20 - $50 for a new one vs. $650 - $800 to replace the tuning valve.
    I can't remember if the coil threw a check engine light or not but did go to a AutoZone and they plugged a device in that pulled the code, which contained the cylinder coil number (1 - 8) that was going bad - which helped a lot.
    David
  • ret69ret69 Member Posts: 1
    has anyone ever upgrade there audiofile 6 cd player system to a radio/dvd/gps type ??
  • bapa1bapa1 Member Posts: 1
    great
    ill try it
    thanks
    Yes - After I purchased my 2004 Aviator in 2007, I was wanting to add the factory navigation system. I found out it was going to be 3k (likely more). One of the Ford dealerships steered me to do aftermarket.
    I ended up purchasing a Pioneer AVIC system - which was the best investment I ever made. I purchased from Crutchfield (and paid the premium) but got all of the factory / finished look pieces, correct cables, and great support, etc.
    The AVIC system (now 4 years old) has a great nav system, touch screen, bluetooth add on, xm radio add on, and can play DVDs. The new AVIC systems are even better from what I've seen.
    Hope this helps.
  • hitdog042hitdog042 Member Posts: 4
    I have an Aviator that the battery keeps dying. I noticed when I open my door the side mirror (turn signal orange lights) turn on, and they usually shut off after a few seconds. Mine won't shut off, and the battery is dead obviously soon after.

My headlights are in the off position. they do turn off when I turn the headlights on, but then the headlights stay on, so that doesn't help.

Any ideas?
  • luvnjacobyluvnjacoby Member Posts: 1
    mine started doing the same EXACT thing today. It has done it 5 times, but starts right back up with no problems. It's so weird. I would love to know what is going on.
  • usedtolikecarusedtolikecar Member Posts: 2
    Hi there - Just had coils 4, 6 & 7 replaced. My '03 Kitty Hawk Aviator is at 98,000 miles. The chk engine light and dings were coming on at 97,000 and the dealer "reset" something. I'm off to get it inspected finally. What else should I make sure is done before it goes out of the "Customer Satisfaction" bulletin at 100,000 for coils. It is not under an extended warranty, so if it is heads or whatever it is called, I'm in trouble!
  • fordsnomorefordsnomore Member Posts: 5
    I would check the wheel bearings, driver's heated seat, the 'back-up warning system,' and all normal things like brakes and such.

Had many coils replaced as well.
  • waamanwaaman Member Posts: 15
    I would replace the spark plugs and check for rear axle wear. I just hit 112,000 on my Kitty and it runs like new. Rear axle starting making noise at 105 and it cost me 3k to replace both. You can purchase brand news coils on Ebay real cheap. Why not replace then all. Keep all oil changes going at specified intervals. Engine, transmission, front and rear cases, etc. I consider this money well spent for a vechicle that runs like new at 112,000 miles.
    My driver's side rear window only goes down (and up) when there is high humidity, causing me to believe that a connector just needs to be cleaned. It doesn't matter whether I use the window switch between the front seats or the rear door window switch.
    How should I troubleshoot this? I.E. Start with the front switch, clean, move to door.. or vice-versa, or some other method.
    Any thoughts, diagrams would be much appreciated.
    David
  • xtinaxtina Member Posts: 2
    My 03 Aviator's AC is working everywhere but the front passenger side. It blows hot air out of those vents. Why would this be happening? Any replies are greatly appreciated!
  • xtinaxtina Member Posts: 2
    My Aviator isn't running right. When driving it pulls at times especially when I'm going uphill. When stopped it starts to feel like it's going to quit by shaking a little. This doesn't happen all the time but it shouldn't be happening at all. When I need to get around someone and step on it there's a lag before it takes off. It didn't do that before. Also, when the AC is on it's worse because it happens more often when on. The check engine light isn't on and I just got a brand new radiator. This issue was happening before I got the radiator so I know it's not something that happened during that repair. What could possibly be wrong? I really appreciate any replies :)
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Could be the coil pack or it might be the infamous cylinder head problem. Have the compression checked (especially cylinder 8). If that's ok check the coil pack.
  • dlheard11dlheard11 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed yesterday morning when I cranked my Aviator that it starts sputtering and acting like it is about to go dead. I have plenty of gas in it and I replaced the battery last month. If I push on the accelerator slightly, it evens out and doesn't do it anymore. But once I let off of it, after a minute or two, it starts acting up again. Could I have a fuel filter going out, bad gas, or something else?
    Could be anything. Fuel filter, bad gas, throttle body, sensor or a bad head.
  • hatethiscar1hatethiscar1 Member Posts: 23
    Actually...you have the worst SUV every made...everything will go out on it, Ford knows it, and could care less. Get rid of it now and by German (who can really make a car) or Japanese...Aviator is the worst car ever built...hence all the complaints!
  • texasjrstexasjrs Member Posts: 1
    Mine is doing the same thing but on the passengers side. Did you get any replys that help you with the problem?

John
  • jacqueusijacqueusi Member Posts: 55
    Turns out the blower went bad. $280 repair and just in time. This was a H-O-T summer.
  • la2004la2004 Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 Aviator engine light continues to come on, other than a slight rough idle I don't notice a decrease in performance except when running the AC. When running AC, it will suddenly start blowing warm air when the engine light starts flashing. Took it to the dealer
    and they had no ideas ? Is this same problem, coil or Head or ?
  • alwayzsmhalwayzsmh Member Posts: 1
    As soon as u hit a bump the whole back end of the car loses control. It kind of swirves to left and right. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I have had this car for only 2 1/2 years.
    Also my glass tailgate will not close it almost like u have to slam shut. I purchased the extended warranty but it doesn't cover the tailgate or suspension if that's the problem. Any suggestions?????
  • ginnysmomginnysmom Member Posts: 5
    This is my first time post so please bare with me. I am at the sole owner of a 2004 Aviator, V-8, 4.6L, with 116,000 miles. To save time I won't list the various repairs/maintenance that have been performed over the past 8 years; I will stick to my current dilemma. My area is Dallas, Texas.

After my check engine light came on Mon, 4/2, I went to Auto Zone for help with the diagnosis code. It showed P0308 and P0316 (was told that 316 always goes w/308.) I took it to a local, reputable auto service repair center that had serviced my car for a CLY #3 misfire Oct, 2011. At that time they replaced one ignition coil and replaced all the spark plugs. Their recommendation was to replace the the remaining coils, which I did. They also replaced all the spark plugs since they were under warranty.

BUT, THIS DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. I realize the coils were probably going to have to replaced eventually, so I'm okay with doing that. They suggest having an Injector Service Wash/Flush before making the decision to replace the injector (which I'm assuming is #8.) They don't have the equipment for this type of service and I'm probably going to have to do it at the dealership. After researching this service I understand it could be beneficial. (Also, let me state a mechanic friend of mine suggested Goo- something. We put it in the gas tank with about a 1/4 tank and I drove the highway for 45 miles, but no change.)

MY QUESTIONS:
    1) Do I go to the expense of the Injector wash/flush of $145 (which means I have to go to the dealership which I really don't want to do!) or should I skip the step and go ahead and have the injector replaced? Should I replace them all while they're in there?
    2) If I go to a dealer, any recommendations in the Dallas area? preferably closer to downtown.

My car is in great shape and I'd like to keep it for another year or so if possible. Thanks much everyone!
    The new COP on cylinder 8 could be bad but first see if the replaced all of the boots - cylinder 8 tends to run hotter and can damage the boot. If the boot wasn't replaced then that's a likely culprit based on what I saw on google. And they're cheap. If it's not the boot then try swapping the COPs around and see if the problem stays on cylinder 8. If it does then just change the injector. I wouldn't bother with a flush. It's either the plug, the boot or the COP (or an internal problem with cylinder 8 - a compression test would verify).
  • terry645terry645 Member Posts: 16
    Sounds like a broken hinge which we get the whole tailgate out of alignment. I had this happen. Replaced the hinge...about 10 minutes. All OK
  • bostoncigarbostoncigar Member Posts: 23
    Welcome to a $5500 engine rebuild. If you look for posts of mine and others several years ago (3 cars ago for me), you will find a TSB on this vehicle that requires an engine rebuild. Cylinders 7&8 go bad because of the split valve cover (bad design) on this high performance engine. My Aviator (bought new) was 2k out of warranty (52k miles) and I had to fight Ford all the way up to Bill Ford's office to get them to pick up 2/3rds of the cost of the engine rebuild. This is a known problem. Take the truck to a LM dealer. They know. Unless you purchased an extended warranty.. you are screwed. I doubt your Aviator is worth $5500 at this point. BTW, the dealer replaced my coils and such before they "discovered" the need for the engine rebuild which you will HAVE to do!

I rewarded Ford by walking from the brand after 5 Fords in a row and now am a happy (if not bored) owner of my second Lexus which by the way I thought and now can emphatically state is the least expensive car to own on the road. They have such a high resale value (unlike Lincoln Mercury) that my trade in allowed me to buy a new Lexus for only 10K after 3 years).

I loved by Aviator even with all the problems. My Lexus is boring but it is totally reliable. I do 20K miles per year!
  • usedtolikecarusedtolikecar Member Posts: 2
    Oh boy! My 2003 Aviator has the check engine light on and the code is for catalytic converter. I've replaced all the coils multiple times. Hasn't been inspected in a while because of the check engine light. Worried about having to replace the catalytic converter and what it will cost. Also live in North Dallas. 2003 Kitty Hawk w/ 111,000 miles. Car is beautiful and comfy but totally unreliable, had the rear window problem, cd player doesn't work and coil problems like most of you. WILL NEVER BUY A FORD OR LINCOLN MERCURY AGAIN!
    TO BOSTON CIGAR: First, thanks for the very informative reply. You have saved me time and a lot of emotional grief. I was really beating myself up about agreeing to the recommended coil replacements, fuel system cleaning, etc. that were done prior to this "bombshell" diagnosis.

Park Cities Ford in Dallas, TX, found "compression loss on bank 2, cylinder 8 has 11% loss." They did not recommend the engine rebuild with the high mileage I have.

Sounds like I'm in the market for a new car. What kind of Lexus do you own? I was thinking about a Toyota Four Runner, too.

Thanks you again!
    This is GINNY'S MOM again (ref msg #952 or 955)

Before I venture out into the auto sales world, I thought I'd double and triple check that I've checked out every possible solution. Before a major surgery a second opinion should always be sought. So, you all are my second opinion...

Below is the dealership's diagnosis on my 2004 Aviator with 116,200 miles. It has new coils, plugs, and had a fuel system flush.

"Customer states check engine light is on
    Cylinder 8 losing compression.
    Verify concern. Time for EEC Diagnosis
    PERFORM KOEO/KOER SELF TEST AND FOUND DTC PO0308 AND P0316.
    Time to perform power balance and verify misfire. TIME TO PERFORM RELATIVE

COMPRESSION TEST AND FOUND COMPRESSION LOSS ON BANK 2,
    CYLINDER 8 HAS 11% LOSS, CUSTOMER DECLINED REPAIR."

He said the computerized compression test tests the injectors, spark plugs, and coils. Then they did a manual compression test to confirm the cylinder 8 compression loss.

Thoughts?
  • la2004la2004 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    Did you have any luck finding out what your problem was, my 2004 is doing the very same thing. Ford Dealer is clueless :(
  • terry645terry645 Member Posts: 16
    I bought my Aviator new in '04. Over the years I've come to this site for guidance with various issues that came up...it has been most helpful...thanks to everyone.
    The Aviator seems to take a real whipping on this site and I have no doubt that most of it is deserved. My Aviator now has 171K miles on it and I drive it everyday. I've had the usuall minor issues that come with every vehicle, but have not had one problem that even approaches the things I see on this site. I guess all Aviators are not made equally.
    TO: akirby, message #952

1) What's a "boot?"
    2) Did you see my most recent post regarding 11% loss on Cylinder 8?

Would like your feedback. Thanks
    Loss of compression on cylinder 8 is the classic sign that the head is toast. The boot is the rubber cover around the coil and plug.
    I am on my second RX-350 by Lexus since the Lincoln Aviator. The Lexus RX-350 is one of the cheapest cars to own on the market because of the high resale value.... if you purchase and do not lease. I am even smarter now in that I purchase a CPO and save one year of depreciation. Boring car.. but safe, dependable and very very high resale.

I was able to get Ford to pay 2/3rd the cost of the engine rebuild. It was 2K out of warranty. They should have picked up 100% of the engine rebuild because this is a known problem with the engine.

I will not own another Ford/Lincoln Mercury product again because of the way they treated me.
    This is what I wrote on the subject 4 years ago!

File a claim with the NHTSB.

Replying to: uvsrw3 (Apr 26, 2008 11:20 am)

The problem you are having is that cylinders 7 and 8 are fouled and you need an engine rebuild. The head/valve cover on this V8 comes in two pieces. It fouls around 50k miles and needs to be rebuilt. Ford should recall the engine and fix it gratis. There is a TSB on it. Ask a Lincoln Mercury Dealer and they know the TSB. All engines of this type, Ford puts in Ford Mustang, Navigator and Maruader fail. Mine failed at 52k miles and they covered part of it but not all of it. My 6th and last Ford btw. The dealer will quote $5500 if beyond warranty. They will pick up part of the tab if you push. Time for a class action??
    The failure rate is still relatively low - my guess is way below 10%. You only hear about the ones that fail but there are tens of thousands that never have a problem.

Yes, it's a known problem and I would like to see Ford step up with an extended warranty since it's an engineering flaw. But from a business standpoint I understand their position.
  • gabesoundsgabesounds Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get a solution to your problem? i am having the same problem

Gabe
  • gabesoundsgabesounds Member Posts: 2
    I have the ability to lock and unlock my doors with the remote but I can not lock or unlock the doors using the auto lock switches on the door handles.

Got any solutions??
    The only solution would have been a new engine. I had 11% compression loss on cylinder 8. Sold the Aviator to Carmax and bought a new car.
  • walker18walker18 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 Aviator and I have to continuously press the brake until I hear a click before I can get it out of park. I had the switch under the pedal fixed (mechanic suggested) still does not work. Also when I’m sitting in park the truck feels like its going to cut off. Any Ideas?
  • certifiedmechcertifiedmech Member Posts: 1
    Lots of stuff written about the problem which is the "brake actuated shifter lockup in park" on Lincoln Aviators is erroneous or more nearly total BS!
    The brake light switch on the brake pivot pivot when depressed sends 12v to a cheapo solenoid that pulls a piece of lamp chain on the drivers side of shifter connected to a plastic cam that then gets out of the way of car shifting out of park. All you do is pull the little plastic access panel as described in the owners manual off and you can see it. It can always be unlocked by pushing it forward with a screwdriver. Mine worked intermittently until I pulled the gearshift in out of 1st gear a bunch of times and lubed it took all of 10 minutes. The shifter assembly can be pulled out in half an hour or so using simple hand tools and the manual that shows how to do it costs less than $50 on ebay and their are videos as well. The cam gizmatchie can then be tied or screwed out of the way. USA shifters in San Diego rebuilds these pieces of junk and sells rebuild kit. Again right in the owners manual are instruction on how to release the gearshift with just a screwdriver!!
  • kartracer8kartracer8 Member Posts: 2
    do the buttons light up when any one of them are pressed?
  • 04avi04avi Member Posts: 9
    Ok here is my problem 04 aviator engine runs at constant operating temp and has plenty of fluid. I have flushed the heater cores and replaced the thermostat. Heat only blows hot when engine is at rpm when at idle in driveway at stoplights etc air blows cold. Blend door seems to be operating fine I have read there is a valve in line on one of the radiator hoses but cant seem to find it anywhere. Also bought a heater control valve from auto parts store but havent installed because i cant seem to find where it is supposed to be located. Any suggestions
  • kartracer8kartracer8 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Mine did the same thing, remove the engine cowl cover across the front by the radiator is metal tube with plug in it. A 1/4" drive is needed to remove the plug, mine took some heat from plumbers torch to break it free. Careful not to get to hot, there is an O ring on the plug

My tube was empty, I filled the tube and squeezed the hoses on both sides until the bubbles stopped and tube was full. Lube up O ring and put back together

Solved my low idle cold air problem, always hot no matter the RPM

Hope this helps your problem
  • dwcraigdwcraig Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys I just made an account to post this. My grandfather just passed and I'm planning to buy his aviator for 10,000. I don't know the year of it but it has 23,000 miles on it.

Just wondering what things I should look out for on this vehicle that may be a sign of an issue.

Thanks
    You will have to do a engine rebuild prior to 50K miles. This engine has a problem. Spend the grand and buy an extended warranty.
    If the compression in cylinder 8 is good you may be ok. Otherwise you'll need a new head (not a complete rebuild). If you can get a powertrain warranty it would be recommended if you want to keep it.
  • aviator04aviator04 Member Posts: 1
    When starting my aviator it runs just fine after starting it and shutting it off a few times I will go to start it again and nothing. Everything and I mean everything works but it won't even try to turn over. I've checked fuses fluids and everything else I can think of I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if anyone could possibly shed some light on this for me.
  • tsleddtsledd Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get an answer to this? I have the same problem and nobody knows where / how / etc

Thanks Ted