Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bomberobombero Member Posts: 12
    They had to repaint a door and replace a molding. $1600 worth of damage. The work wastn done right the first time and I had to take it in a second time. Between that and them having to repair the drivers seat, the car was in the shop 12 days of the first month we owned the vehicle. Talk about having to need patience. We talked to our lawyer after it happened and he said if they dont repair it get back to him. We didnt see any other options. Apparently if they crash your car while bringing it to you after you signed the papers you have no choice but to have that car repaired. In other words its no different as if you were hit by someone as you leave the lot. There insurance would pay for repairs.
  • ewittewitt Member Posts: 1
    PLEASE CONTACT THE DEALER ED WITT IF YOUR PROBLEMS HAVE PERSISTED.
    ED WITT
  • dpearsondpearson Member Posts: 2
    I don't have a Navigator, but my 84 year old father does, and today on the phone he told me he has a problem with his 04 Navigator. I told him I'd do some Internet research, and I found this excellent forum. So I signed up for him, and I'll pass any good information along to him.
    His problem is that in the bright daylight (of sunny Tampa, FL) he cannot see his dashboard information, like his speed and other information.The contrast between the bright daylight and the dark dashboard makes the dash look completely black to him. He says he has taken it to the dealer a couple of times and they can't fix it for him or tell him why this is the case. He says he has the same problem whether he has sunglasses on or not (my suggestion). He tried putting tape over the sensor on the dashboard that causes the lights to come on at night, but this doesn't fix the problem.
    Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Well, my dealer from time to time has attempted to make me buy the taxes on the rentals - I just refuse, and they back right down. Now, they know not to even try. I will replace the gas I use - and that's it. I just tell the Hertz guy when he says I'm responsible for the taxes, "uh, no, I'm not going to pay the taxes, or anything else". He must go get approval after I've left or something, I don't know, but I pay nothing, and neither should you.
    I am surprised. The dashboard was one of the features that sold us on the vehicle. We live in sunny and bright san diego and seeing the dash board info has never been a problem. My and the wife are in our 50's and our eyesight isnt the best. I have had one problem though. I have driven off twice with the back door lift gate up. The dashboard will say " door ajar" but its easy to over look. Again not the cars fault.
    I have no problem with reading the instruments either, even with my polarized sunglasses on, and I'm 51, with horrible eyesight. I did find, to my disappointment though, when I test drove a Lexus LS 430, that my polarized sunglasses blacked out the Navigation screen completely. That's a problem.

Sorry about your liftgate.... I've done that too. I've also left it up, when I closed the garage door. Broke out my window. That was a bad day......
  • dpearsondpearson Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the comments, even though you haven't experienced the same problem. I will pass this along to my dad, especially about the "door ajar" issue. I will also try to get more details from him. I happen to have an 03 Ford Expedition and some of the design features are similar between this and the Navigator. I have not experienced the problem he describes either. Thanks for responding though.

Don
    Our previous car was a VW vanagon. Like most liftgates it was manual. You had to grab it with both hands and hang on to the door to get it to come down. It seemed to get harder to get down as we and the car got older. We were impressed with the auto liftgate and it has come in handy. With all the bells and whistles I wish there would have been an audible alarm so it wouldnt be so easy to drive off with it in the up position.

I also blew out a liftgate window, it was on the vanagon. Closed it on a hard object.
  • klei14klei14 Member Posts: 9
    i have a 2003 navigator ultimate 57K miles and am having a problem with the steering wheel shaking around 45-55 miles an hour.

anyone know what might be causing this??|

thanks Tom
    It's an out of balance wheel, or (more likely) a tire separating. Solution: Have the front wheels balanced. If that doesn't work, have the tires rotated front to back. If the problem goes away, you have a bad tire, and will need to replace it.
  • navinewbienavinewbie Member Posts: 3
    I look forward to buying a new 2005 Navigator.

I would like to have a rear view camera installed to help with backing up (this is a very nice standard feature on the Infiniti).

Does anyone have experience with this? I would like for the image to show in the navigation system screen. Is this possible?

If not, I might replace a standard radio with a Pioneer Navigation system which will accept this and could even be upgraded to place a Pioneer DVD system for the rear seat. Has anyone tried the Pioneer systems in the Navigator?

Thanks in advance.
  • rvg75rvg75 Member Posts: 1
    5 days ago, I purchased a used 2003 Nav. The last few days, I've noticed a loud, vibrating humming sound coming from a part that I can't identify. It's located between passenger headlight and the windshield washer reserve. It's a rectangular shape, 4"x2" and aluminum. I believe it may be some type of solenoid I don't know. The sound occurs immediately after turning engine on. It lasts for about 10 seconds, stops for about 4-5 seconds and begins again. Usually it stops after a minute or two. But this morning, while looking under the hood...it started and continued the entire time I had engine running;about 5 minutes. Anyone have any idea?? Not only what the part is, but also what may be causing it?? Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks-Robert... :confuse:
    I think that's easy - it's likely your air pump for the air suspension - based on your description of the operating time. That's exactly what it should do. They tend to get noisier with age, but are still effective. Even new though, you can always hear them, especially outside the car. Just get used to it, sounds like it's operating perfectly.
  • brian03navibrian03navi Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 03 Navigator. We have driven it about 300 miles and had only one problem. When we were driving in our neighborhood at about 20mph the vehicle died. It had rained all morning and this was at about 11:00. We had driven it 200 miles before then and about 100 since and haven't had any problems. Has anyone else had any problems like this.
    Never, and I've had my 03, 31,000 miles. It could be just a random issue, rain shouldn't have had anything to do with it. I assume it re-started right up?
    Not in the nav, but I had the same problem in my vanagon. Water touches something hot in the engine compartment and it turns to steam. Steam can then enter electrical stuff that is not sealed and short it out.
    I leave the switch on auto. Occasionally the right head light will not go on. I turn the switch on and off and then it comes on. I havent mentioned it to service since it so easy to correct.
  • brian03navibrian03navi Member Posts: 2
    It started right back up and I've driven it all weekend and not had the problem come back. Hopefully it is just a fluke.
  • 06gator06gator Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 2006 Navigator last night. The power running boards do not come out. The salesman said at the time that it was part of the new car prepare that would be done today. Now they say to bring it in for a repair. Both sides stay retracted, so it appears to be a controller or cable that could be unplugged for shipping.

Does anyone know if these are shipped with the running boards disabled, and if so, is there just a plug or fuse that needs to be connected?

Thanks in advance.
    Not aware of any pre-shipping disabling process. The motor for the RBs is under the truck behind the transmission, and it works both boards, so you're rarely have one work, and the other not. In fact, I'm not sure how you could. It could however, be several things causing it not to work, including the motor, a controller, who knows. They'll fix it for you though. ;)
  • ftmkftmk Member Posts: 2
    I have 2000 Navigator with 62,000 miles. My coil was bad, then they decided I may have a cracked block...won't know for sure until the head is pulled for a mere $1,500.00! Service Center has "never" heard of this happening to a Navigator. (I live in Central VA). They are not aware of a problem. Where did you get your Navigator serviced? I would love to contact them re the Service Recall.

Spoke with an independent car repair shop and he tried to find me a used block. None to be found as most of the used engines have cracked blocks!

I am so damned tired of spending alot of money for supposed top end vehicles and find there are problems the manufacturer won't accept any responsibility. Think about buying a horse next time.
    Well, this won't help - but my nephew had an 02 Infiniti QX-4
    SUV - and the engine just developed a horrible bottom end clunk in it. Nissan won't do anything for him either, as it is just out of warranty. So, he had to trade it in, after filling it with gear oil to quiet it down in order to avoid putting in a new engine. The fact is, no manufacturer generally likes to take responsibility after the warranty period is over - at some point, we take the risk ourselves for driving an older car. Sometimes we win, sometimes we don't, high end or low end.
  • ftmkftmk Member Posts: 2
    You are correct...I have to accept responsibility for driving an older car. As I explained to a friend this weekend, it is so frustrating negotiating with a dealership. When they are courting you to buy a new vehicle, you are treated like royalty. But once the warranty runs out, they start charging like lawyers!
    Oh they charge either time - just the manufacturer at first, and us later....
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter would like to hear from consumers who have recently had trouble selling their gas-guzzlers for a decent price. If you have a story to share, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info, city/state of residence and the make/model in question no later than Monday, August 29, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Oh, sure, anything to print negative stories about big SUVs.

I'm enjoying my Navigator. It's BIG, comfortable, rides and handles great and gets about 65 people-miles per gallon with my family of 5 aboard (along with loads of gear.) Any reporters wanna hear that?
    Wrong angle George, they don't want to talk to you......
  • toolfxrtoolfxr Member Posts: 15
    If you get your owners manual book out, look up how to "ENABLE/DISABLE" options from your dashboard buttons. There's a code to enable your running boards if you haven't already done so. Hope that helps.
    Just got my ruling from the Better Business Bureau, We have a declared "LEMON" with our '04 Ultimate Navigator! Ford/Lincoln has to return our money and take back the SUV in the next 30 days. The arbitration went easy and quick as the BBB Autoline said it would. How we found out about this was through another car salesperson that had his Toyota declared a lemon in this same way. Anybody with a non-conforming vehicle should check this out, and look up how your vehicle would qualify as a lemon in their state. Cost was ZERO to us, and we got what we were looking to achieve without having to hire any lawyers!
    There's a correction notice for a ballast resistor replacement for the HID system. We had the same problem when we bought ours.Lincoln won't send you anything about it . You'll just have to take it in for the repair. In our arbitration hearing, Ford/Lincoln told us that there's an open "Service Repair Notice" with all Lincoln repair centers and that they're aware of the problems. It's a no-cost repair to the consumer.
  • dubgrldubgrl Member Posts: 1
    HELLO! I AM I LINCOLN NAVIGATOR OWNER AND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU.MY CAR ALSO HAS 62,000 MILES ON IT,A CRACKED HEAD, AND BELIEVE ME ALOT MORE!! BUT STEEL I CAN GET ANY HELP ON IT FROM ANY LINCOLN /DEARSHIPS/CUSTOMER SERVICE/ESP. I JUST REALLY THINK ITS TIME FOR TO DO SOMETHING!!! SO HOW ABOUT YOU?
  • yqq990yqq990 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2001 Navigator with the premium Alpine upgraded system. I know there was another message here a while back that generated no response, but I have the same complaint that person did. While my reception is fine, the sound quality is really thin, with virtually no bass. My mechanic called his favorite car audio expert in my presence, and he said those Alpine systems are so complex and hard to work on that servicing them is not cost-effective. The area's leading audio dealer (with non-commission staff) told me that my audio components cannot be replaced individually. I'd either have to replace the entire system (all speakers, head unit, disc changer, sub-woofer, etc.), or try adding an additional sub-woofer bolted down in the cargo area (ugly and still about $500). Am I really the only one confronting this dilemma (the experts don't seem very surprised), or am I being misinformed?
    I had a 2000 Navigator with the Alpine system and I found it to be just fine. Bass is ok for normal listening. I don't know what your expecting, but your not going to get a "BOOM" system that the aftermarket will provide. If that's what your looking for, then this Alpine system ISN'T what you want. It was never intended to be played loud or to impress the neighborhood. Total output is only 280 watts across 5 speakers which aren't anything but paper coned cheapies.
  • yqq990yqq990 Member Posts: 2
    I had a 1997 Explorer with standard factory radio, and it was like a concert hall compared to the Navigator. I really think there's something wrong it. I'm a 46 year old guy and not lookin' to rattle the windows. The difference between turning the bass all the way down and all the way up is minimal. No one would pay hundreds extra for this tinny sound.
    I agree with you, the 97 Explorer ( I had one too) was quite the boomer. My Navigator(s) however, were excellent too. Something is wrong with yours. Sounds like the amp is bad.
    Sounds like you've got a sub-speaker that's gone out. If all of the other speakers are working, then the dealer will have to replace the sub or the crossover that's inline. You don't need to replace everything as someone has told you.
  • nicknavinicknavi Member Posts: 1
    Someone please help. After my '99 Navi slowly died out in my garage yesterday, it will not start. It cranks but my truck's engine will not turn over. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know what the solution to this problem could be? I had the battery checked and it's good. What could it be :cry: ?
    Your fuel pump has likely died.
  • big_steve04big_steve04 Member Posts: 1
    :sick: Yes my 1999 lincoln navigator air is out when i turn on the a/c i hear a hissing noise in the back i took it to a guy today and he checked it and he thinks it may be the expansion valve do u know how much they cost and also would that be making the air in the front not cold air? i heard no soo i dont know and another thing is the air bags in the back are goin out u know how much it would cost?
    Yes, that can make your front air not cold as well. He's probably right about the expansion valve, but I don't know what it will cost to fix. Sorry.
    Like I had previously posted the left headlight did not come on several times when set in the auto position. I never mentioned it to the service dept. because it only happened a couple of times and it was easy to correct. After reading the post on here about it I mentioned it to service and they admitted there was a TSP on it and they replaced something. I had noticed and my wife had mentioned that the wiper blades streaked the window when used. We noticed what a poor job the blades did from the time we bought it. I mentioned that to service and they replaced the whole mechanism. Basically trouble free from last maintenance.
  • joshua2joshua2 Member Posts: 3
    I am in the process of purchasing a Navigator and was reading this forum.....so I thought this info might be of some value to you.......I had this same problem with my Corvette. I took it to a friend and he had to take the entire guage cluster out and replace a chip. Cost me $300 just for the part. Your best bet is to have someone who is familiar with vehicle electronics (not vehicle electrical ...that's totally different) examine your guage cluster. By the way, is the dimmer switch turned up all the way?
  • brycarbrycar Member Posts: 10
    it might be that ur battery is roughted or something my aunt has one and we took the cables off and cleaned them and the light went off it resets the computer
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    I checked my owners manual and could not find the word "roughted".
  • u50lincolndrvru50lincolndrvr Member Posts: 2
    I have an '04 Nav that was bought used with 28,000 miles. I noticed a humming sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. Sounded like tranny, but was not sure. Dealer confimed when they took it apart and said they were ordering "parts". Would they replace the bearings? The whole thing? I failed to ask them this.
    After reading about the headlight problems from other members online, I also mentioned to the dealer that someone had told me (after I was out of the car) that I had a headlight out. When I got back in the vehicle and turned the car back on, they were both on...someone mentioned a Ford TSP on this issue. What does that mean?
    I can't find "roughted" on Google either. I must be a moron.....
    1) The Tranny is in the front on these trucks....

2) If you have HID headlights, sometimes they'll misfire on start up and appear to be burned out. A Refire of the headlights (turning them on again) will most often, fire them up right. This is not unique to Lincoln, but to all cars with HIDs
  • u50lincolndrvru50lincolndrvr Member Posts: 2
    That's odd that it is in the front...the service manger went on a test ride with me and when I told him the sound was coming from the front of the vehicle, he corrected me to say it was actually in the back! None the less, they have ordered parts and are replacing the bearings?
    On the front light, they actually found bad wiring under the passenger kickplate and had to replace it. They just called and said they while fixing that, they cracked a piece of plastic that had to come out to get to it. Not sure how or why they would have thought to look there, but it sounds like this must be a problem they have had before...whew! After getting on this website and reading everyones comments, I hope I made the right choice! I traded in an '03 Aviator that had the power steering line severed by a fan belt, ABS go out(twice) and a cracked head at 51,000 miles that was replaced at $3,600!
    Well, I've had nothing serious go wrong with my Navigator, in 33,000 miles so far. I would think you made a good choice.
  • bigsmoke1bigsmoke1 Member Posts: 2
    Well i need info about putting 24 or 26'' wheels on a 06' navigator ultimate 2wheels drive:will it mess up anything or do i have to do something to the truck before ading the wheels? :confuse: