Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bigsmoke1bigsmoke1 Member Posts: 2
    i am also thinkin about installing lambo doors(vertical door) on the navigator and acuple of performance part to the computer chip and engine.is there any precautions i sould take before modifing?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    You're obviously going to pimp this truck up seriously, so I expect you'll have a ton of problems - but one you can just expect to have, is those wheels will give you a lot of grief up to your steering wheel. But I suspect a smooth ride isn't a priority for you, given what you intend to modify.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Just wanted to pass this along. Took my Nav in for a bit of warrantee work. One of my complaints was a very subtle vibration I could feel at low speed (say 20-30mph) and with little to no pressure on the gas pedal. It was admittedly a nit, but it was there. I had complained about this to my selling dealership (North Bay Ford/Lincoln/Mercury in Santa Cruz California) early on and of course the tech could not feel it. Well 18000 miles later it's still there but I've since been taking my Lincolns to a dealership near work (Sunnyvale Lincoln Mercury) and they are so much better than North Bay it's like night and day.

They found I needed a transmission mount thanks to this TSB and an alert tech. They replaced that and the vibration is gone. The TSB says I believe to replace the 4x4-type mount with the 4x2 type mount. I'm happy.

Oh, and along the lines of service depts - another complaint I had when I first bought the car was the driver's door inside door handle was not flush with the fascia. It stuck out at a small but perceptible angle and the slightest pull on it would open the door. Well the service dept at N Bay got out a micrometer and said the deviation from flush was "within spec". So that was the other problem Sunnyvale fixed for me - and they found that (I'm paraphrasing from a verbal description by the service advisor) one of the screw holes for the fasteners which attach the door handle had not gone totally thru all the surfaces. So the screw was sticking out and was (I inferred) pushing the handle out from flush. In any case, it's fixed now, it's flush and the 'pull' required to open the door is quite normal now.

So I guess my message is - and this applies to any car or truck - if it ain't right, insist on getting it fixed and if they won't do it find a dealer who will.
  • donavan71donavan71 Member Posts: 6
    New to this board so please be patient with me.
    I have a 2001 Navigator with 53,000 miles. The other day when I started the engine I hear a rumbling noise that sorta scared the sh*t outta me. It only does it on start-up and when I put it in gear it stops. Any idea?
    Also, noticed a ticking coming from the right side of the engine. Took it to a mechanic and the first thing he said bad lifters, need a new engine. Took it to the Lincoln dealer and they also said something about lifters. So i scheduled an appointment for Monday morning, the mechanic who looked at it at the dealer said don't worry about needing a new engine.

Anybody out there with the same problem?
    Amen, George! You're exactly right. BTW, just got back from a trip to Simi Valley in my Gator. It was an overnight trip, so 6 hours down and 5 hours back the next day (it's longer going down, you know) between 0 and 100 mph. It astonishes me how nimble and controlled this big truck is at any speed, on any road, and in any condition. I had such a headwind going down, I actually retracted my mirrors for a while to lessen the drag, but had no trouble holding speed at all. Climed Baker grade coming back to Vegas in overdrive at 82 mph with cruise on. Man, what a great truck this is! It's a shame to turn it in, but I only have 1500 miles left on the lease and she's done. Gonna miss her. Not gonna miss the 16.6 mpg she got on the trip though.
  • toolfxrtoolfxr Member Posts: 15
    There were several problems with the '04 Navi's that caused vibration and the noise that your describing. On our's, the same noise at 22mph little to no load. Dealer found a trouble code which was for increased resistance. First they replaced the transmission mount. Noise was less but still there. A month later after complaining to Lincoln Customer No-Service, they had to REBUILD the rear differential. ALL parts were replaced and that noise stopped. However, transmission stalls continued to get worse. Finally have Navigator declared a "Lemon" and Ford had to buy it back in full.
  • jmerritt1jmerritt1 Member Posts: 1
    Brand new Nav. with all opts.
    If not driven for two days, battery is dead.
    I sold to client overseas, and before I could deliver it
    battery was dead. I took to dealer, they replaced battery and said "that'l fix it! It didn't. Nothing wrong with battery, although my still friend and client
    has already replaced two more times. Pretty hard on batterys. I have heard it is in the navigation and entertainment department. Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks Much,
    jmerritt
    I had a REPLACEMENT stereo head unit put in mmy Navi - and it had a fault in it that made it so that it never turned off, even when the key was off. It would drain my battery.
    Changing it out again solved the problem. One way to tell, is to feel it after the car has been off for a few hours. If any part of it is hot - that's your culprit.

Don't feel badly - my dealer never did figure it out - I had to show them on my own. Once they were convinced of the problem, they gladly fixed it for me.
  • hayabusa_1hayabusa_1 Member Posts: 2
    If the sound goes away within a few minutes it's likely a cracked exhaust manifold. It was with my 99 Navigator and it was thought to be lifters by a couple of dealers.

Good luck

Don
  • hayabusa_1hayabusa_1 Member Posts: 2
    No solutions but I have the same problem. Did you figure yours out?

Don
  • softstorsoftstor Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2000 4WD Navigator with 70,000 miles. Occassionally when I make a right turn, I can hear loud vibration noises coming from the rear of the vehicle and sometimes from the front left of the vehicle. It happend more often when it is wet and when I tow my trailer. These noises have a thumping sound.

I have taken the vehicle to Lincoln and they checked the air suspension. They do not see any problems. Does anyone know what the problem may be?

I recently seen an advertisement for a product called Strutmasters. Should I replace my air suspension with this product?
  • kaiiardkaiiard Member Posts: 1
    a weird problem with the Navigator. I can't get any aftermarket navigation unit working. 3 different systems were installed (VDO-Dayton, Pioneer and Alpine) and none of them does it right.There is always a difference of about 3 seconds, with all the 3 systems. A company has determined that it isn't the systems, but something in the car is disturbing the electronics of the nav-units.The speedsignal was taken three ways: at the radio, ath the CAN-bus by a convertor and old fashion way with a magneto on the driveshaft. Neither way did solve the problem. Has anyone ever experienced this problem?

An other problem is the 'service'bulb, which a allways burns.

An another new problem arises: since a few days the central doorlocking doesn't work anymore. The fuse blows when I close the car. When I replaced it i tested if it would blow when a opened the car, but this works fine. It only blows when I close the car, the alarm still works with it, also the runningboards light up. Any one in this department?? :confuse:
  • donavan71donavan71 Member Posts: 6
    The noise I'm describing is a ticking sound, that does it thru the entire RPM range. Does that sound right? When you replaced the manifold, did that fix the problem?
  • laughsalottlaughsalott Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 4X4 Navigator. Been fine since new. Now has 75000klms on it. Everythime it rains on the truck, the Climate Contorla or Radio come on and kill the battery dead if not caught, not sure if connected but the AC is also now nolonger cold. Any one have a possible solution? Have the car in Mexico right now anf the dealer here doesn't get what the problem is. :cry:
  • t_doggt_dogg Member Posts: 1
    I have an opportunity to purchase an '03 Nav at a great price through a company auction... Although I haven't actually seen it yet, it was a company vehicle, well maintained and driven relatively lightly. I've read every thread here, and will certainly look over the obvious trouble spots regarding the running boards and the back gate, vibrations, etc... But can anyone specify any other target areas for review that aren't so obvious -- anything that may have stopped you from buying a problem vehicle had you known to look?

The reality is, its more $car$ than I need, but given the good deal and the fact that I have a deep love for things beyond my financial strata I'm really tempted to buy. But not if it will come to considerable maintenance costs down the line. I'll likely be driving this thing for the next 5 years, and would like to think it'll live the duration with some degree of reliability. Little gadgets goin -- well, I could deal with that one way or another...

Do I do a 3rd party warranty? Do I look elsewhere if I even have to think twice about maintenance costs? I think I just want someone to tell me its ok to buy it... I just hope it doesn't become an anchor.
    The main thing I'd do, is check the manufacture date on the inside of the driver's door. If it's made in 03, you're probably ok. If it was a mid 02 manufacture date, those were very early in the brand new series, and had more problems. If it's made anytime in 03 (like mine), you should be happy with it. I have been very pleased with mine.
  • paultiffpaultiff Member Posts: 3
    My navigator was parked in the garage and I heard the air pump cycling for the air suspension. I jumped into the truck and started it to look at the message display. The display said to check the air suspension. I warmed up the vehicle, reset the message which did not reappear, then drove around the block. I parked the vehicle and the next morning the battery was dead. I jumped the vehicle and the message did not reappear and I have not heard the air pump cycle. What would cause this to happen and why is it intermittent?? I want to cure this before I get stuck somewhere without a jump...and I know the dealership will start guessing without a message to decode.
    I would agree, I have an early model and I've had numerous electrical problems. Mirrors would fold all the way out (replaced both mirrors), stereo would blackout (replaced 2Xs), numerous ABS, air suspension and stability messages coming and going.
    Well, the pump will occasionally come on when the truck is off, to level. I've been sleeping in mine, and had the pump come on in the middle of the night, and level the truck. Not altogether unwelcomed, BTW. But if it's doing a lot of that, it will drain the battery. As to what would cause it, no clue, but you may have fixed it with your defacto re-boot. You can always turn it off in the rear, left panel behind the little door. The switch is there. If it's chronic, shut it off until you can get it serviced. These are the little things that can drive you crazy, but they're really a small malfunction.
  • mcolett4mcolett4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 00" Navigator, I recently had my traction bar adjusted because the back of the truck was tilted tot he side, after a couple months my truck is handling very bad, altough the back seems to go up just not as far up as the front..a pebble will make it seem like I'm going over a speed bump, I plan on taking it in as soon as possible but I'm afraid cause I keep hearing about how much the air bags cost, could it be something simple???
    I have a CD error message on the stereo display and I can't play or eject any of the CDs (the AM/FM still works). Does anyone know an alternative to bringing it into the dealership to fix?? :sick:
  • msimms1msimms1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 2003 Navi with 69,800 miles on it. I have driven it 1000 miles in the last 2 weeks and then took it in to the dealer to question the Navigation System not tracking properly, the compass is off, the left headlight comes on sometimes and sometimes it doesn't while it's in auto mode, the navigation system doesn't keep the time after the truck is turned off and then back on, and it has a rear main seal leak. What a list after only owning this truck for 2 weeks and already the dealer is trying to charge me $1453 and my warranty company (First Choice) only will cover the rear main seal leak by reimbursement only.

Help !!!!

Does anyone have any insight or solutions for these problems?
  • kadlub72kadlub72 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Lincoln Navigator and intially when going into reverse, the side miroors would go down along with the warning system beeping. Now, the warning system still beeps, but the mirrors no longer go down prior to reversing. The dealership tells me the SUV never had this feature. Do any of you have a 2005 Navigator and your mirrors have this option???
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Did you try reading the owner manual that explains how your $55,000 vehicle works?
  • mike2000mike2000 Member Posts: 7
    Hello i have a 2000 Navigator with 77,000 miles and it has an internitted problen sometimes when you turn off the engine and take the key out the heater defroster comes on full force and runs down my battery has anyone else ever had this happen? :confuse:
  • ford4lifeford4life Member Posts: 6
    I recently got a 06 navy and its one of the best cars ive owned. :)
  • gatorownergatorowner Member Posts: 3
    Mike,
    I have a 2001 Navigator with 26,000 miles that up 'til now has not given me any major problems. Got to my job this morning and the exact same thing happened.. turned off the vehicle, took the key out and the blower motor came on! I took the fuse out and got it stopped.. put the fuse back in and it's still off...but when you start it back up and then turn it off and take out the key...back to stuck on. When the truck is running, all seems fine. Did you find out what it is yet? Thanks, Jan
  • 123marcianate123marcianate Member Posts: 2
    The Ford Expeditions have same problem. Water leaks tin through driver side windshield into fuse box and shorts out electronics -- including the GEM module which will have to be replaced for around $600 to $700 in the Expedition. I do not know what Navigator's cost. Just found resolution to this question today. An auto body man told me that if you remove the windshield, you will find a joint that manufacturer did not seal. If you seal it and then replace the windshield, the leakage will stop. I would assume maybe not correctly, that since the Expedition and Navigator are same body, the same would hold true for Navigator although I am not positive. Just an idea.
  • tmurtazatmurtaza Member Posts: 1
    I have a Lincoln Navigator 1999.
    It started in winter of last year and went away in summer. Now its back!
    Only in cold weather I have a really hard time starting up! That too only in the morning then thru out the day it seems to be fine when fired up at 4 hr intervals any thing else i.e 8 hrs or more and I have the same issues.
    I have NO Check Engine Light (SERVICE ENGINE SOON or SES) at this point. Running a OBD software II via my laptop I found that I am Lean on Bank 2!

Here is a history of the issues.
    We changed the Plug on coils all 8 of them! 3 and 5 died so we changed them all to save cost of changing remaining one by one.
    We changed the fuel filter, as part of routine maintenance.
    We changed the PCV valve, routine maintenance.
    We changed the throttle position sensor, while trouble shooting and the part was cheap.
    We changed the air temp sensor, while trouble shooting and the part was cheap.
    We changed the oil pressure sensor, there was a Dash DTC code DTC 5284 saying it was bad.
    We changed the O2 sensors (the first 2 of 4) as they were burnt up had a SES light.
    We changed the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) as it was felt that this was the last component that reflected temperature!

Still the issue persists.
    Someone on the web said that they had similar problems and they had the same issues. So they changed the IAC (Idle Air check valve). That’s going to be my next move.

If need be I will take to a Dealer and get scalped if that the only alternative, but would like to see if there is anything minor that we are missing. Besides just because I own a Navigator doesnt mean I am loaded! Appreciate any help that anyone could be provide. Thanks
  • navi01navi01 Member Posts: 2
    PLEASE HELP ME!!!! MY LEFT BLINKER ON MY NAVI BLINKS REALLY FAST. THE FIRST THING I DID WAS REPLACE THE BULB...PROBLEM STILL THERE...SECONDLY CHANGED THE FUSE...PROBLEM STILL THERE. NOW IF I LOWER MY STEERING WHEEL TO THE DOWN POSITION THE BLINKER DOES NOT BLINK AT ALL. THIS IS TELLING ME THAT IT MAY BE IN MY STEERING WHEEL...HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM? IF SO PLEASE HELP ME. :(
  • navi01navi01 Member Posts: 2
    I RECENTLY PURCHASED AN IPOD WITH 60G...I HAVE AN APLINE SYSTEM IN MY 2001 NAVI LINCOLN. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE ARE AUX JACKS LOCATED IN THE TRUCK TO PLAY MY IPOD THRU MY SYSTEM SPEAKERS? OF DO I HAVE TO PURCHASE A NEW STERO SYSTEM WITH AN AUX FOR MY IPOD? image
  • abordelon3abordelon3 Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 02 Ford Excursion Diesel (Big Monster) I have 3 small children. I was thinking about getting a Navigator. How is the gas mileage? What is the best year 05 or 06? Any ideas? Thanks for the help.
    Hey Jan i have not a clue what is going on but my proplem just went away for now but this is the 2nd time this has happened in the 3 years i have owned it . {mystery machine} :confuse:
    I spoke to a friend who is a service writer at a Ford dealer.. did your's do this on a rainy day? The small leak issue that we see in some of the other posts could be the culprit. Just makes a relay stick on and cause the problem... mine cleared up too... between my husband giving it a slight smack and a dry day. Other than that, my Navigator has been a great vehicle. We'll consider sealing that spot in the future or getting a carport for her. As to the person who wanted to know how the gas mileage is... don't give up the diesel if you're concerned about that (mine averages 11 mpg which is mostly driving to work and home 5 miles each way in the suburbs), however if you're looking for a vehicle that can haul everyone and get them there in style and class with creature comforts, then a Navigator's the way to go. We test drove a Cadillac before purchasing this one and it won hands down! Even with this issue, my next vehicle will still be a Lincoln... liking the look of that new Mark LT. The quality of the Ford vehicles we have owned has been much better than any of the GM's except for the old hot rods...
    Hi Jan yes this did happen on rainy days . You could be on to the problem solution thanks for the info . MIKE :)
  • tbarker61tbarker61 Member Posts: 1
    Hello I own a 2000 Navigator and today when I got in and started the car there was static coming from the speakers. When I started the car the radio came on fine, however when I put the transmission in drive the radio stops and turns off. Any Idea what is wrong?????
    When I had my '04 Navi, I got 9.9 city and 15 hwy. If you have the new 6.0 diesel, your better off staying there with that truck. Just look at all of the problems that other people are having! That's why I got rid of my Navi! Ford has nothing but problems with these SUV's. I wouldn't buy another one. The diesels are more reliable. I've got a new F-350 diesel Super Cab with the long bed and I love it.
    The dealer is jerking you!!! All models with reverse sensing had the outside mirrors tilt down for parking assistance. You need to find a better service dealer and contact Lincoln Customer No-Service to let them know about this service person. My '04 Navi had this feature. :mad:
  • stephenacottstephenacott Member Posts: 1
    I too have this exact same problem. I did indeed have an after market VIPER alarm which I have taken back to the installer and since had removed. It is become a more and more frequent problem now and happens almost every time I turn the ignition off. The alarm installer is now saying that it is a problem with the ignition. ANY SUGGESTIONS???
    Hey Mike,
    Since the last post, my husband bought a tube of marine silicone clear sealant, cleaned out the area just above the driver's side where the joint comes together, lifted the gasket and shot a little bit in there... didn't gunk it up too much though. No excess or anything oozing out. We've been through 2 major rains and no issues! I think we caught it early enough before any damage to any electronics.. all working perfectly! A friend who works at a Ford dealership says that he's seen this before so I think we're good to go... at least it was an easy fix... if it hadn't worked on the first try, I priced a local glass shop to pull the windshield and seal, $125... good luck with yours. Jan :)
  • softstorsoftstor Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2000 Lincoln Navigator - 4WD with Towing Package. I use it to tow my Horse trailer and when loaded weighs at least 5000 lbs. When driving on the highway at 70 mph I have noticed that my engine is running at 2000 RPM.

Should I be using the overdrive set to ON or OFF when towing at 70 mph?
    Look in your owners manual. I have not had to switch out of OD and I towed a 8500 lb boat. Going up hills and inclines, yes, you'll have to hit the switch to get out of OD. The other thing is your taking a hugh chance towing at 70 mph!!! Most states have a 55 mph limit. Your an accident looking for a place to happen and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near you while your towing!!!
  • hazuez908hazuez908 Member Posts: 1
    hello i own a 1999 Navigator.my problem is,when i go to start the truck i cant leave thre door open i have to close all the way and then start.meaning i cant leave my door open to start the truc.unless it's a safety issue were i have to close.my other problem is it wont start when i use the alarm to open the doors. it wont start or crank.i have to manually open the doors with key and then start.can someone maybe help with this problem
  • jamiegbfjamiegbf Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Navigator with 77,000 miles and the service engine soon light came on. Took it to Ford dealer and the news was two burnt valves and I need a new long block engine. I am in total shock as this vehicle was professionally maintained and well taken care of in every way. How can a $48,000 vehicle need a new engine at 77,000 miles? After my anger subsided I did a little search on the net. This is not a new problem and Ford has to be aware of it. I emailed a woman who had the same thing happen on her 2001 with 84,000 miles. She pushed Ford real hard and they did nothing for her. I love this vehicle but I will never buy a Ford again. Detroit car companies have earned their bad reputation in my eyes. Does anyone out there have and advice?
  • tonynbarbtonynbarb Member Posts: 25
    I was driving down a very long and steep mountain on the way to el centro ca. The last 2 times I had to brake before the bottom of the hill the steering wheel vibrated quite a bit. Once I was on the desert road and level ground it was fine and the braking was fine on the trip back. I just wonder if the brakes overheated and caused the vibration or maybe it was just the road?
  • tonynbarbtonynbarb Member Posts: 25
    Like I posted previously the dealer wrecked my nav after I had it for only 10 days. It was in july 2004. I am having issues with the repair work again. This will be the third time it has been in. I feel like saying screw it and getting an estimate from another place and billing the dealer.
  • henrie3henrie3 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 Navigator with less then 25,000 miles on it, after burning one tank of gas with ethanol in it, it start to run rough for about the first 2 miles, vibrates pretty bad. Took it to the dealership where I purchased it, and they replaced the 4th coil I believe, flushed out the gas system, put an additive in the tank, that didn't fix it, took it back again, they replaced a spark plug, not a fix, took it back again, they changed the gas filter, not a fix. In the shop for the 4th time, they've run all kinds of checks with the computer on it and can't seem to get to the problem. (No codes) Now they've called in to the hot line for guidance, will be 24-48 hours possibly before they will get a return call. Do you have any suggestions as to what could be causing this. I've had all the regular oil changes etc done on time through the dealership. This problem has been going on now for over a month. Thanks for any advice. Maybe someone out there has had a similar problem.
  • henrie3henrie3 Member Posts: 5
    It runs rough when I stop at light, and between 40-45 miles and hour - and again between 50-55 miles an hour. Then when it warms up after about 2-3 miles it smooths right out. Thanks for any replies.
  • jackdanielsjackdaniels Member Posts: 2
    i was goin to work one day and the car just died coming off the highway, i put it in neutral and started it back up and it seemed to run ok. i got about 2miles down the road and it shut off again and this time wouldnt start back up for like 5mins. when it did start up it was bucking and shaking like crazy and was a lot louder than normal. i drove it home which was like 15miles away and i could only go 23mph on a straight-away with the gas to the floor. i got it home and hooked it up to my diagnostic tester and it said P0300 - Random Cylinder Misfire and then P0301-P0304 Cylinder Misfire. i changed the plugs and fuel filter and cannot figure out what it is. i brought it to the dealer and he said my timing chain snapped, but if that happened it would either go through the cover or sieze up my engine, so i have no idea what it could be. any help would be muchly appreciated. thanks
    It sounds like you have either a valve problem in the heads or problem with the piston . It is not the timing chain because if it broke it would not even start ! How did the ends of the spark plugs look ? If they looked ok then i would guess for it to be needing a head job done !