Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• zgirlsmomzgirlsmom Member Posts: 1
    '98 navigator with similar problem. new battery, new serpentine belt. spark plugs replaced about 6 months ago. everything seems to work fine, and if i give her gas, she'll act like she wants to go but as soon as i take my foot off the gas, she cuts off. could this be be spark plugs, coils, or something else? worked fine for about 2 weeks once i replaced the battery and according to the interstate guy, the battery is fully charged... i need advise before i have her towed tomorrow :cry:
  • dliradlira Member Posts: 1
    hi yes i have a 99 lincoln too, i have the same problem, i did find out that their is a hose under the master cylinder, their is a fitting that cracks i paid $27.oo it fixed the problem, then i got another problem, i can hear a leak right behind the drivers back tire but it is every now and then i just came from checking it but it is one of those times that is working fine, have you had that problem? other than that i am very happy with it, good luck.
    danny
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Your problem is most likely in your idle control module. Certainly not the plugs, coils or battery. You need it looked at professionally. Is there a check engine light on anywhere in the instrument cluster?
  • titan09titan09 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Lincoln Navigator. The oil filter must have had a hole in it because as I was driving all the oil had leaked out & splattered all along the driver's side of the truck. :confuse: I made a stop (this is when I noticed all of the oil), got back into my truck started fine...All of a sudden the truck started bogging, I gave it a little gas & that's when the truck stalled out. :cry:

Tried to have it jumped didn't work. :mad:

Does anyone know what could of caused this? And what might need to be repaired?
    If your oil leaked out, why would you continue to run the engine?
  • marcus74marcus74 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone I am new to the group I have a 2000 Navi. I had some trouble with my compressor and hoses popping loose. I have purchased a new compressor with the dryer and installed it. i was running a small compressor hooked straight to the battery tied into the line in the meantime to keep the bags up. Its been about a month so i am not to sure as to how to hook the air line back into the dryer I purchased a part from the dlr yesterday they told me it was to hook the line into the dryer. It has two open ends its black and gold, but I am not sure how to connect line to dryer can someone please help me with any info.
  • sexylovelyonesexylovelyone Member Posts: 1
    I have a CD error message on the stereo display and I can't play or eject any of the CDs the radio AM/FM still works. Does anyone know if this can be fixed without being taken to the DealerShip. Someone recently broke into our navigator and stole the middle console leaving behind the stereo. It was still working but I'm not sure if its the constant removing of the stereo that has caused this error. We remove the stereo because the insurance has still not paid for the damages it has(window is broken).

Please respond.
  • majnavimajnavi Member Posts: 1
    Well here is the Problem My Running Board lights are not working when I open the door interior lights are not coming on. I can start the Truck but have control for the windows Moonroof flip windows or Audio. I check the Fuse it is good still no joy. Oh yeah With truck started I cannot take it out of Park. I have a 02 Lincoln Navigator
    Most stereo shops could fix this, but may not want to. The dealer can get it done for you though, and it should be under warranty still, unless you have a ton of miles on the truck. Sadly, Ford switched from Visteon for their radio supplier to Delphi (a formerly GM company) a few years ago, and the radios have been junk ever since.
  • anewhaddenanewhadden Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Lincoln Navi. It has a power liftgate. However, if used manually the liftgate ajar light stays on. I had the dealer fix this problem a couple of years back, but always use the remote to activate the liftgate. A guest tried to manually open the liftgate the other day, and the light has stayed on since. Does anyone have any suggestions?Please help ASAP. Thanks.
    Yes - open the liftgate, either way. Power down the truck by taking off a battery cable for 20 seconds at least. Hook back up, close the liftgate with your remote or the switch inside, you should be ok. :shades:
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    Got the Navigator back from dealer today. I, again, complained about the tapping noise between the doors on the b-pillar. I pointed out the scuff marks on the glossy black trim b/w the front and rear door. It's the vertical glossy trim piece between the door windows. The scuff marks appeared to show that the trim pieces pressed against each other and made the trim pieces flex and make popping noises.

Well, they adjusted the front and rear door alignment and the noise is gone so far. I will let you know how the fix holds up. I feel relieved of the annoying stressful tapping noise. Persistence pays off even though but I had to diagnose it myself. Props to the dealer.

Anyone out there have a sweet coolant type smell from recycling automatic AC operation. You smell the strong odor immediately after the AC's set temp is reached after full fan speed. So, as soon as the fan speed lowers when the cabin is cooled down the sweet smell appears. Dealer could "not replicate."
  • ccarriganccarrigan Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2003 Navigator, Luxury edition. It does not have a nav system, and it does not have the nav butons on the steering wheel. With that said, i was wondering if someone could tell me if the Lincoln factory touchscreen nav radio will work if installed in my Navigator. I do realize that i will lose some of the feature, esp. the voice control feature due to the incorrect steering wheel button. I want to know if it will work, or if i will completely screw up my truck. I would also like to know if I am wasting my money in purchasing this unit.

Could someone please help with some info/advice?
    Thanks!!!!
  • pkirkpkirk Member Posts: 1
    Hello. Does anybody have a problem with their Navigator side view mirrors leaking/dripping water after a wash? Mine continues to drip for hours and it leaves a permanent water line mark along side each front door... (even after constant airpressure, towels, slamming doors, etc.)
    I have a 2003. The delearship said that ALL Navigators do this... I'm trying to figure out if this is true - or if it is indeed a design flaw on my truck...
    Thanks!
    Your sweet coolant smell is a breached heater core, leaking slightly. I hope you're still under warranty, it needs to be changed out.
    nvbanker,

Even though the AC is in use the breach in the heater core would cause that smell? That makes sense. I imagine I would smell it even more in the winter when the heater is in use. You definitely know your Navigators. I am still under warranty, 2005 with 18K miles.

I just hate paying for the rental car taxes. I tried to get out of it but they won't give in. I may take it to the dealer I bought it at cause they do not charge anything for the rental but it is further and the service is not as good.

Thanks nvbanker. You sure helped me solve a lot of my Navigator issues.
    You're most welcome.

Your hot deck and your cold deck are both together under your dash, and the air passes through them both, regulated by a blend-door, which diverts the air from the cold deck to you if you're hot, and vice versa if you are cold. That's how the temperature is regulated. If you have the hot deck oozing coolant, you'll smell it all the time, but more when the unit calls for some warmer air. As when you stated, the car cools off, and the A/C throttles back, it's actually inducing some air from the hot deck, and you should get a good whiff of it.

I'm very sorry for this unfortunate development - it's very rare, if that makes you feel better. It never does for me though....

On the rental tax, it is a dealer (and customer) judgement call, unfortunately. My dealer never charges me, and if they try to, I just tell them that's not happening, they back off. But, I have spent about $300,000 there over the years too.

I sure enjoyed my Navigators - and if gas was more reasonable, and I had a greater need for 2 SUVs, I'd have a new 06 right now. They were great trucks.
    Thanks.

I will definitely bring the leaking coolant issue to their attention. Time for another rental.

Wow, $300,000 buys alot of repairs or new cars? I hope the latter. : )

Gas prices are high so we try not to drive it unless needed. That is our only regret with our Navigator since purchasing it last year, pre-Katrina.

Another issue, we notice an occasional bycyle bell noise or a light metal clinking noise in the rear of the car. Sounds like the brake pad wear indicators but it is not. I thought it was a drivetrain related noise. Heard at 30 - 40 mph at certain intervals. Dealer stated they replaced a rear AC valve per the TSB and that would cure the noise. But, it got worse after the attempted fix. Now, it is heard constantly with a few breaks. When I turn off the rear AC, the noise still persists. Only when I completely turn off the front and rear AC does the noise subside. I will complain to them again. Any insight on this one?

Thanks again.
    Yep. The culprit is your rear A/C expansion valve, and they were known to be noisy, almost eeery in some cases. So, a TSB went out to change them all out if there was a complaint. Unfortunately, your replacement is worse than the original, so they need to do it again.

The reason it only goes away if you turn off the A/C completely, is because it functions anytime the compressor is running, front deck and rear deck. Your controls only manage the fan speed, direction of airflow, and temperature, but that R-134 goes through the lines all the time if the compressor is engaged, thus causing the noise. So, while it's in, make them do this repair again.

Best of luck! Gas mileage is the only reason I don't still have a Navigator. I've never loved a truck more.
  • tonynbarbtonynbarb Member Posts: 25
    Drove our 04 nav to lake tahoe. When we reached higher altitudes (7000') I heard what sounded like a small pump or motor running behind the dash near glove compartment area. The sound came and went during our stay in tahoe. Now that we are in san diego it seems to have stopped. I wonder if the altitudes effect the way the air suspension works?
  • tonynbarbtonynbarb Member Posts: 25
    I may still have the popping sound, its just that with the radio, air , people talking I dont hear it. Next time the car is in I will ask about the door alignment.
    Of course it makes a difference! The compressor pump is having to suspend that truck with very very thin air, vs. your normal
    Sea Level air there in heaven. Er, I mean San Diego. It would have to run probably 3 times as much to float that boat. When it got home, it probably felt like it was pumping glue!

How was Tahoe? I love it.....
    I didn't hear it either with the radio or conversations. I drive most of the time with niether and the popping noise was really annoying. I have enough stress and that just added to it.

The door alignment seemed to fix it. Good luck!
    Well, after the second service attempt to fix the fix, the AC valve noise remains. Dealer said they fixed it according to the TSB (replace AC valves) and acknowleges the noise remains. They talked to the "Ford Hotline" and they stated to charge an additional 4 oz. of refrigerant to the system. That reduced the noise but it is still noisier then when I first brought it in. Makes me wish I never brought it in in the first place

I will call the Lincoln customer service when I get a chance. At least I got them to comp the loaner car taxes this time.
  • marepoetmarepoet Member Posts: 5
    That's it, in a nutshell! My husband is a car dealer and, as you would guess, is able to get great deals on vehicles he buys at auctions. We JUST bought this Navigator two days ago (you don't get a warranty when you buy through a dealer auction). I made the mistake of checking consumer reports AFTER buying it, and was horrified to see the horrible ratings on Navigators, particularly 2003.

Anyhoo, I drove the car for the first time yesterday, and found that the front row air vents do not blow air. I hear the air blowing in the back rows, so that works fine. In fact, the AC pumps out of the defrost area, just not the vents. I've played with everything I can think of but nothing fixed it. I'm at a loss.

To make matters worse, today the "liftgate ajar" warning has showed up and won't go away. I've read every post on this board and found a lot of great help regarding cleaning the sensors and such, so I'm thinking the liftgate ajar issue will be a simple fix. Unfortunately I didn't see one mention of a problem with air flow through the vents.

Any info on this problem would be greatly appreciated, as I do not have a warranty to fall back on. I'd LOVE to not have to spend a lot of cash to get this fixed. Help!!
    I'm surprised your husband hasn't run across this problem in most all cars. It's quite common. You have a blend-door stuck inside the dash works, and it'll need to be fixed. This does require the whole dash to come out. It ain't easy or cheap. Sorry to tell you. However, you are incorrect about not getting a warranty from the Auction in every case. The Factory warranty is still in force on all but the most abused cars, if it is within those guidelines, in this case 4 years, 50,000 miles for a Lincoln. If it is under the mileage, Ford will fix your air problem.

The early 03 models with an A in the VIN were horrible. Everything went wrong on those. The 03's with a B in the VIN were better and the 03's with a C in the VIN were fine.
    I had a B series for 3 years and loved it. Only gas prices made me sell it.

The Liftgate ajar is a bugger. If your liftgate and window are both shut tight, then the sensor switch is dirty and needs cleaning or replacing. It's not hard, nor terribly expensive to do, I just have no idea where you find it. There are two, on the liftgate, by the way. One for the glass, one for the door.

Lastly - I buy cars at the auction every week. Navigators, Escalades and Hummers go for a song out there. For an 03 in good condition, you are paying probably close to $20,000. For a third of the original price, you can afford to get the air fixed.
    Thanks for your response. You are right, in that the factory warranty still applies if still under the years/mileage. Unfortunately we are at 52K miles.

We did get a great deal, paying only $23k for this beautiful vehicle. At this point, we are trying to decide whether this car is going to cost us a lot of $$ in costly repairs down the line. The air vent situation WILL be fixed, we just aren't sure whether we are going to keep it for ourselves and use our personal cash to fix it...and any other future repairs that may be needed, or if we will just re-sell it through our dealership, in which the dealership will pay for the repairs.

I checked the VIN and found that we have neither A,B, or C in our #. The sticker on the inside driver's door panel does state that it was manufactured in July of 2003, not the end of 2002. After reading your previous posts on the subject, I gathered that this means we lucked out and got one of the better batches. I will re-check that sticker to see if I missed an A,B or C. At this point, we are just trying to figure out whether to keep or to re-sell.

Thank you for your knowledge on the matter. At least we know what the problem is now!
    YOu know, I mis-spoke. The Expeditions used the A, B & C in the VIN to distinguish the engineering changes. Lincoln used different letters, and I can't remember now what they were....sadly. You could identify it another way though. Here is how you do it.

A) Where is the OD button on the shift handle? Is it on the driver's side, or the toward the rear of the handle, rear of vehicle.

B) Do you have power switches for the 3rd seat right behind the B pillar, or on the driver's side just behind the second row seat?

C) Do you have a tweeter in the little corner panel on the front doors about the size of a silver dollar or so. This would be up at the bottom of the window level, by the dask?

If you can answer these questions for me, I can tell you which truck you have easily. These are the 3 engineering changes made in the first year, (03), and they changed the Vin number letter each time.
    Alright, we checked everything you listed. Here are the results:

A. OD button is on the driver's side of the shifter.
    B. Power switches for 3rd row seat is on the B pillar in the trunk area.
    C. Yes, we have a tweeter in the corner panel on the front doors, by the dash.

So, there you have it. Did we luck out and get the later model?

Thanks for all of your help. You've been great!

Mary
  • lisazyglisazyg Member Posts: 4
    My '04 Navigator does the same thing. I'm told it's the compressor that regulates the air suspension. I'll be sitting out in the front yard and all the sudden it will kick on, even if my car isn't running. I'm having trouble with my Navigator's front suspension. Today, in fact, it's being towed to the dealership for the third time. I'll be driving and all the sudden the front end will totally drop and rest on my tires. So if you're driving the front wheel wells are rubbing on the tires. Problem is when you re-start the car, the compressor generally kicks on and the car raises, correcting itself. The last two times I've had it to the Lincoln dealership, they've told me they can't find anything wrong with it, after running extensive hi-tech diagnostics on it. So they send me home each time telling me they can't fix what isn't broken. It happened again this morning, and I left it parked. I didn't want to re-start it for fear of it resetting itself again. I'm very disappointed to have paid so much for a luxury vehicle and to have had it in for repairs as often as I have. I've owned Ford products nearly all my life, but after this one I think it's time to switch.
    Yes, you won the big deal of the day, and got the C series, which is the best 03. My B series was prone to a couple of little issues, but overall was a great truck, and one I miss. The C series was the late 03 Production after some of the issues had been resolved, and was even better. I would fix the air, and drive with confidence.
    Well that's the best news I've heard all week! Thanks for your help! Looks like we'll be keeping this one!

Mary
  • joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    I have the same problem after having my tires rotated my check sus light is on. Where is an off switch. Bobby
  • joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    I have a 1999 Lincoln Navigator someone told me there was an off switch for the air ride suspension is this true and where is it ?? I had my tires rotated and my check suspenion light came on and my air pump is not working any suggestions? Bobby
  • sconnoll6sconnoll6 Member Posts: 2
    This switch is located inside the truck, behind the right kick plate of the passenger side of the vehicle. It is a large black switch located near the rear/right portion of the area.
  • sconnoll6sconnoll6 Member Posts: 2
    The air springs may have a leak! By using jacks to raise the vehicle, without turning the switch off it can cause the air springs to overfill. Because over time the components of the air springs can dry rot, a tear/hole could form causing a leak. I have found the air springs online and locally (S. Florida) for under $100 each. Of course that doesn't include installation, but if your mechanically inclined...
    we have a 03 gator. when the truck drives the dome lights turn off. when you get out of the truck the front lights shut off but the dome lights and the mirror lights stay on. all running board are up. if you get in the truck and start the engine the lights will stay on untill you drive a couple hundred yards or so.. any ideas....it always says rear hatch ajar, could that be it????
    ON a 99, the switch is under the dash, close to the passenger foot kick panel. On 03's and newer, it's in the back as described above.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    I am suspicious that you need to read the instruction manual about many of these issues. Not blowing out of front vents could be just cause it's in 'Auto' mode and hasn't gotten around to the front vents yet. If u hear air blowing out of the rear vents, then youMUST have the rear air on. It is a separate system. The liftgate ajar fooled me once - it was not the liftgate but the liftgate WINDOW that was not shut all the way. etc.
    All true.....
  • blownkixblownkix Member Posts: 1
    In Nov 05 the car started to shut off momentarily as you started to drive, it would do it only when you would take off from a stop and never at freeway speeds. This would occur 50% of the time. The dealer had it on 11-7 and replaced the Cam Position Sensor. When I picked it up on 11-8 it was worse than before. I returned it on 11-9 they returned it on 11-19 after replacing one of the coils. This helped but didn’t solve the problem, still had the hesitation leaving a stop but only happened 2-3 times in the 1st week. In the 2nd week as I slowed down for a stop it shut completely off, when I put it in neutral , turned the ignition off and back on it started. It continued to hesitate at times when you were driving in city traffic but would not shut completely off. This past week the hesitations became more frequent and on Tues 5-16 it shut down totally in heavy traffic as I turned a corner. I delivered the car back to the dealer in the afternoon, he call and said nothing could be found and could one of the techs drive it home for a test drive, I agreed. He called and reported the car runs perfect and they can't do anything if they don't know what the problem is. The car now shuts off momentarily at freeway speeds and is very violent. The car once acted like it was running on 4 cylinders and slowed down to 30 mph, after pulling over on the freeway shutting the key off it stated again and ran normal. Dealer still can’t detect what is wrong in September 2006. Is there any help out there? :mad:
    My only recommendation is that you ask politely to see the Service Manager. Upon meeting him, tell him of your problems, stress the safety risks, and ask him to keep the truck, drive it every day until it does it to him. Ask him for a rental or loaner during this process. You're entitled. He should comply, if you don't piss him off. If he won't, try another dealer.

If after 3 tries, I couldn't get this particular problem resolved, I'd trade the damn thing. But that's just me. These issues are hard to detect, if they don't throw a code, mechanics of today don't have a clue what to do. But if you can get the Service Manager to experience it, he'll be on your side, and that's a great help.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Yep.. what he said.

Sounds scary. Reminds me of my dad taking me to school in his very old cutlass supreme and having the dang thing stall around every corner. Dangerous.

That should not be happening on ANY car nowadays.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I had the same problem on my '03. Turned out to be a faulty driver side door switch located inside the door latch. Try spraying some WD-40 in the latching mechanism on both sides. If this doesn't fix it then you'll have to have it replaced.
  • sergio85sergio85 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a problem with my 1998 Navigator. Everything was fine until a friend offered to change the spark plugs. When he finished the truck started running rough and the check engine light came on. I ran the OBD II scan and got a P0304, I installed a new coil and its running much worst. Any ideas?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Sounds like the plugs are bad (or wrong) or the coils got messed up or put back in the wrong place. I'd have it checked by a dealer or mechanic - blindly replacing parts could get expensive.
  • awwh_cmonawwh_cmon Member Posts: 1
    You know as I listen to your gripe. I can say I have a simular situation. Rigth after I bought my 03 Navigator. It's a shame something that suppose to be such a high quality. Is missleadning because of all of the bells and whistels that they have as options in your vehicle. Besides the warranty sucking. It's almost like they know it will fall apart after 50,000 miles. I had simular electrical problems with my Navi. It kept telling me the lift gate was ajar. But it wasn't. I'd close it a few times. And slam it a few times. Sometimes it would come off and sometimes it wouldn't. In your case.. it's simple. Your computer needs to be reset. Sometimes the computer like any get's all clustered up and starts malfunctioning. Go to the dealer and have them reset your computer. And it should do fine. But I've had recent issues myself. And besides the one I just told you about. I'm wondering if anyone has had the same problems I've had. In the beging of summer, my compressor to my AC went dead. Went and got that fixed. Rigth after I got it back.. a few days later. My transmission went on the blink. Real harsh shifting with hesitation. I was really dissappointed about that. And just when I thought nothing else could go wrong. My altinator goe's and my truck die's when I get back from the store I was in. Had to get a toe for that one. I take it they fix it.. and now.. recent problem. And it is in the Lincoln Delership auto shop right now as we speak. Or should I say as your reading this. I get breakfast at an I-Hop come out after filling my belly. And bam!!! Just like that another problem. I turn my truck on.. it heasitiates. But it sounds fine.. until I put it in reverse to back out of the parking spot. I hear this really loud grinding noise like I'm dragging something under the truck. I get out and look and nothing. So I get in.. I start to drive.. thinking maybe I cought something and it is stuck in the tire or breaks. But it didn't work it's way out. As I picked up speed on the high way. Cause I was trying to follow a friend home. The thumping became louder.. I didn't have much power. "Like it was a 4 Cyl." And then the engine light came on. I pulled over.. to call assistance again to get it towed. And it was right near the dealership. The irony! LOL I'm really not laughing though.. I'm shaking my head. If you have paid 40 to 50k on this ride and it act's like a junker what are we paying for? The Navi is just a Junker in deskies. (excuse my spelling) Well the dealership calls me and tells me one of the "Rocker Arms" Came loose. Is that even possible???? WTF!? I've had Toyota's and different cars. Never a problem with that. But a Rocker came loose? Just sound extreamly crazy and off the wall. So now I have to pay for that. How many people in here think I should get rid of it even though I have a warranty with a $100 Deductible? It's over 50 and I bought an extended warranty for coverage for another 100 k. Should I keep her or trash her?
    Powering down the truck will do the same thing. Take the battery cable off for a minute or so, put it back on and you'll be rebooted.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Dude...SPELLCHECK.
  • biggrobs15biggrobs15 Member Posts: 10
    I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 00 NAVI AND I ALWAYS HEAR THE COMPRESSOR AND A CHECH SUSPENSION ALWAYS COMES ON AFTER I DRIVE IT FOR A WHILE I WAS TOLD I MIGHT HAVE TO CHANGE THE SPRINGS BUT I HAVE NO IDEA ON WHAT TO DO SHOULD I TAKE IT TO THE DEALER? IM AFRAID THEY R GOING TO TRY AND CHARGE ME TOO MUCH BECAUSE I DONT KNOW WHATS GOING ON. I ALSO READ I CAN TRY AND REBOOTING IT BY DISCONECTING THE BATTERY. I WAS TOLD BY THE PREVIOUS OWNER HE HAS JUST INSTALLED NEW TIRES AND I READ THAT CAN ALSO BE A PROLBLEM? ANYBODY CAN YOU PLEASE HELP????? THANK YOU :confuse: