Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln Navigator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Can you believe after all these years of platinum plugs, people still think you tune up cars routinely? A guy who thinks that could never do it himself these days. He's just not current, or savvy enough. I'm sure he knows nothing about coil on plug, let alone distributorless ignition. Bet if we told him to gap the points, he'd do it.

Kind of like people who still think Red fades.....
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Or that Silver oxidizes. Or that Florida could beat Ohio State. Oh wait..... :sick:
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    43-42.
  • Options
    twanita24twanita24 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 navigator and when driving, it squeaks, you can hear it especially on the driver's side and when you go over a hump. Mainly you can hear the noise when driving. It sounds like it may be coming from the wheel. Took it to a mechanic, he told me that my ball joints need to be greased; had that done and still the same problem. A single woman, looking for advice on what to do PLEASE!!!! :mad:
  • Options
    dejaysixsixdejaysixsix Member Posts: 1
    try looking under the hood, under the lincoln black logo plate and theres a lil black hose coming from ya PVC valve.. this thing goes all the time and causes the truck to do the symptons your describing
  • Options
    donavan71donavan71 Member Posts: 6
    Went to fill up the reservior today. From the time i filled up at my garage to i got down the street, the fluid leaked out!! Filled again and no sooner had i started moving the fluid leaked. Thought i had a cracked resevior, but furhter inspection no such luck. Noticed the passenger's carpet was wet!!
    I'm guessing that's the line that goes to the rear wiper.

Anybody know how to get to that line???

thanx!
  • Options
    alisenioralisenior Member Posts: 1
    I have A problem :sick: , 2 days ago after work i remote started my car to warm it up. This is something i always do. I got in and 10 minuits in the drive the car started vibrating when i give gas and the check engine light came on. I took it to the shop. They hook it up to the computer and they told me my #7 coil was miss fireing so they did a complete tune-up. Picked up the car the check engine light is off now but the is still doing the samething and may be worst. HELP :confuse:
  • Options
    donavan71donavan71 Member Posts: 6
    Mine did the same thing except mine wasn't rough idling or vibrating. I got a SES light and the scanner tool said #7 cylinder misfire. I've replaced the coil but got the same code. Next step is to replace the spark plug. Would have replaced the plug when i had the coil off but it was getting dark. Hopefully replacing the plug will help.
  • Options
    Take it back! Obviously, they didn't fix the problem, they owe you a fix, or your money back!
  • Options
    djackson13djackson13 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2006 Navigator Ultimate. the vehicle has been great thus far with only one problem. The heated seats will not work properly on the driver's nor passenger side. When I push the button to activate them, the button remains lit for less than 30 seconds then goes out. The seats do not warm up at all. I am still under warranty but was wondering if there was anything I could look at prior to takign it in to the dealer.
  • Options
    jr_gjr_g Member Posts: 2
    help???????i was reading your comments n noticed the one about the air ride system..i have an 03lincoln navi,my problem is both my front fenders are sitting on my tires. back is okay but front is not lifting
  • Options
    jr_gjr_g Member Posts: 2
    my front fenders are sitting on my tires, however my rear seems to be working okay. what could it be, or what could have caused it to not lift???????? help
  • Options
    heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    One or both of the front shocks is leaking air. TIme to visit the dealer or a KNOWLEDGABLE repair facility.

How many miles on the car?
  • Options
    toolfxrtoolfxr Member Posts: 15
    How many miles on on the Navi? If your getting a front end squeak, it could be control arm bushings. If you look into the wheel well, look at where the control arms connect to the frame of the SUV. You'll see a rubber bushing with what looks like a big bolt through it. If you see lots of cracking on the rubber, that's more than likely the problem. You could have someone spray on some WD-40 then drive around like you normally would and listen for the squeak. If it goes away that's the problem. There will be a similiar part on the bottom also. If this does resolve the squeak, you'll need to have then replaced to solve the problem.
  • Options
    Nope - they're faulty. Take it back.
  • Options
    tonynbarbtonynbarb Member Posts: 25
    I am about to reach 50,000 miles on my 04 nav. I am interested in getting an extended warranty. Should I just go with the one the Lincoln dealer is offering or should I shop around? It appears I can get a ford esp warranty online for about $100 less.
  • Options
    Read my lips: GET THE FORD ESP WARRANTY!! Anything else will be less coverage, more hassle, and some of them even go belly up after you bought it. With the Ford plan, you pay your deductible for each repair, that's it, no hassle. With the aftermarket warrantys, you pay for the repair, and then submit your claim for reimbursement usually. Plus, the aftermarket warrantys will often replace faulty parts with used ones from junkyards to save money. If you don't want that, you get to pay the difference.

I've had both. I'll NEVER have another aftermarket warranty, regardless of the price. GO WITH THE ESP!!
  • Options
    biggrobs15biggrobs15 Member Posts: 10
    2 weeks ago I took my navi to the dealer for an oil change and on super bowl Sunday my car didnt want to start I check my oil and it it was empty I think they forgot to put the oil. I called the dealer and they said that they could not have forgotten to put oil. :surprise: Now i dont know if that had anything to do with my car not wanting to start I filled it up and turned the car on by the solenoid. In the morning it starts fine but if I turn it off then I try to turn it on it wont start if I turn it on by the solenoid it starts with no problem but sometimes my radio works and sometimes it doesnt. When I turn the key nothing happens :sick: . Anybody help please
  • Options
    biggrobs15biggrobs15 Member Posts: 10
    I fixed the problem I took it back to the dealer and they told me that the right side shock was elevated a little and that it just needed an adjustment.
  • Options
    This guy should write for Car & Driver.....
  • Options
    I got the premium care extended 6 years/100,000 miles warranty for about $2150. Come to find out the 6 years starts when you bought the car not when you purchase the warranty.Right before the 50,000 warranty was up the dealership had to replace the radio/gps as the LED would get dim at times. I have to say the dealership has been good about taking care of problems.
  • Options
    You didn't read the brochure or contract when you bought it? Because the term of coverage should not be a surprise to you after the fact.... :confuse:
  • Options
    Initially it was not explained to me. But yes I knew about it when I purchased it. We took a look at an extended 2007 lincoln navigator with black/grey interior. Wow we were impressed.
  • Options
    They are sexy, aren't they? You're making me want one right now....
  • Options
    ditaly03ditaly03 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 03 Nav and I can't eject any of my CD's. Everytime I turn the car on the cd player just make a clicking sound. Help anyone
  • Options
    olivet_coupleolivet_couple Member Posts: 3
    We have had this thing for less than 2 weeks and have a major problem and I have no idea what to do with it. First off, one of the air ride shocks is bad, we have heard the compressor kicking on fairly frequently and occasionally the system will tell us to check the suspension. I hadn't thought of it being an emergency until this evening. When we left work, the truck is sitting all the way down, like there is no air in any of the air ride system, very bumpy and sitting very low. So my husband checks the fuses and they seem to be fine and resets the suspension with the shut off located in the trunk, nothing happens. We did drive it after the shut off thingy and it didnt ever re-inflate. He disconnected the battery for about 30 seconds hoping it may just need to be reset and now the truck will not start. Everything powers on but it seems like the starter will not kick on. He used the remote and tried typing in the keypad with the code and nothing will work. We even waited a couple of hours to see if it was a time thing, and NO. No start, no suspension. Can ANYONE HELP us? I hate to tow this thing to the dealer 30 miles away if it is something simple. :cry:
  • Options
    Well, it WOULD have been simple, had you heeded the Check Air Suspension warning message when it came on, and had it checked. Now, it has failed on you, plus you have evidently messed up the electrical or the anti-theft system so it won't start. It's a basket case now, you have to take it in....
  • Options
    otaku18otaku18 Member Posts: 10
    My dad has owned two Navigators. A 1998 (first year) and a 2001. I have no idea why he likes them, sure they're nice trucks but they're expensive and the MPG is terrible. His first car had electrical problems, the lights liked to stay on for extended time periods (30-1hr) and his latest had the air ride go out without warning (replaced under an extended warranty he bought from dealer) and now the Cd changer is dead to.
  • Options
    They're machines - things go wrong with machines, and as complex as they are, it's a miracle they work at all. I had a 99 and an 03, loved them both. Awesome trucks.
  • Options
    mossyhornsmossyhorns Member Posts: 6
    I have an 04, just bought it used and wanted to do a tune up. Does anyone know where the filter is located on these vehicles??? I know it has to be between the tank and the intake but I can not seem to find it, looked for half an hour. Thanks :confuse:
  • Options
    direwolf1direwolf1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Gator love the car been wanting one for years
    finally managed to get a nice looking one,
    everything is fine BUT now after 3 weeks owning it , it wont start, had a little trouble a week before but after about 6-7 try's it started, it would also not start in park but would start in Neutral, someone told me it's the transmission neutral switch,,,,
    my Question is this , how hard is it to replace and roughly how much should it cost.....?
  • Options
    hadahsahhadahsah Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Navi and the steering wheel recently started to shake alot. It only does it when I'm driving over 50 mph, mostly when I'm on the highway. I don't know what's causing it. I think I'm going to start with getting new tires?? Good Luck!
  • Options
    All Navigators should have the fuel filter (small cylindrical style) on the left inside fram rail between the tank and the firewall just like any other vehicle should be EXCEPT the 04's. There is a snap off rock guard at the front of the fuel tank that actually looks like part of the tank. BEHIND that is the filter. FYI
  • Options
    Tires could be the problem but if they are shaking the wheel you should be able to see the problem by looking at the tires. Get someone else in the vehicle with it running and get them to slowly turn the steering wheel while you are laying in front of the vehicle looking at all of the steering linkage components and the a arms/ball joints. See if anything is moving slightly before what it attaches to. These things can wear over time and cause what is commonly called in the 4x4 world as the "death wobble". Sometimes when one of these components are bad the shake won't start until elevated speeds or cornering. My 2 cents.
  • Options
    The switch will be relatively inexpensive, I would guess less than $20 from an auto parts store. Getting to it is a different story, it should be hooked to the shifter handle somewhere. It does not matter if you have a column shift (in which case you would have to pull the steering wheel to get to it) or a console shift (in which case you will have to open or remove the console) it will be a bear to get to it. I suggest you price the switch, then buy a Chilton Manual for the vehicle. These repair manuals are worth their weight in gold if you are a DYI type person. If the Manual shows step by step how to change it you have it made. If not buy the switch and tear into your vehicle until you find another one just like it and change them out, then of course put everything back like you found it. :)
  • Options
    belfastbelfast Member Posts: 18
    sometimes it is boldly printed inside the passenger compartment fuse cover
    Belfast :)
  • Options
    belfastbelfast Member Posts: 18
    Need the part to allow me to connect to the SAT The control is on the face of the radio but apparntaly a module is also required. ANY info will be a help.
    thanks, Belfast
  • Options
    deerhunter1950deerhunter1950 Member Posts: 2
    did you find out where the code is? please let me know. I have the same problem.
  • Options
    deerhunter1950deerhunter1950 Member Posts: 2
    if you found an answer to the problem, please let me know. My air conditioner did not blow cool in front but does in the rear.
    Any suggestions?
  • Options
    maniac0788maniac0788 Member Posts: 3
    hello,

I went to a shop today to get an amplifier set up on my 2003 lincoln navigator. I had about 125 miles in my fuel tank untill it was empty. While installing the ampifier the guy wanted to test the radio and the car wouldn't start for him twice and the car had to be boosted back up. After my amplifier was installed and when I was about to leave the shop it said that I had 345 miles in my fuel tank when I only had 125 before I entered the shop. What could be the problem? Why is the computer incorrectly reading the amount of gas left in my fuel tank? Will this problem fix itself? Is there a way that I can reset the fuel indicator(Miles to Empty)?

Thanks in advance and any help with this will be greatly appreciated
  • Options
    98nav98nav Member Posts: 1
    I got a problem with my wife's Navigator tonight. it was accidentally put in A4WD today sometime. it's usually in 2H for normal driving. well she turned the switch from A4WD to 2H, and shortly after, we started hearing a sound from the rear axle. we pulled into a parking lot, and the tires screeched during the turn. i got out and told her to drive in a circle, and when she did immediately the tires screeched, and it feels similar to when the E-brakes are on, but they aren't. the wheels kind of half lock-up and skid. they aren't completely seized. the best thing i can think of is that when she turned the switch, it didn't properly disengage the rear differential? if someone can volunteer some time and help me figure this out, i'd be very grateful. we can't afford to take it to the dealership or another mechanic, and being a mechanic myself i'd prefer doing the work myself if possible. thanks in advance.
  • Options
    bcn08bcn08 Member Posts: 8
    any known issues or problems?
    Any ideas when i buy?
    Any extras that i should ask for?
  • Options
    No

If you can wait until the 08s come out and you're not picky on colors or options you can probably save another $2K or so in additional rebates to clear out the 07s. But your choices will be limited.

Check the option packages. Personal preference.
  • Options
    jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    My '04 has been close to perfect. 40,000 miles.

The only 2 known issues are that the power running boards have been problematic. (That's why I didnt get em.) And of course, the gas mileage sucks.
  • Options
    navigrl81navigrl81 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Hi everyone, I have a 2000 Navigator and for some reason, after it rains or when my keys get wet, I have trouble starting it. I know it sounds pretty strange about the keys getting wet but this has happened a couple of times before and all I had to do was hit the unlock button on the remote a few times and it would start right up. So the other day we had a bad rain and I was getting in the car and my keys fell on the ground and had gotten wet so it started fine right then, but when I had got up the next morning, went to get in and it did not start. Finally I got it to start but it would just cut back off. Has anyone ever had any problems like this before? I'm only worried this time because every other time the problem had corrected itself and I'm afraid it could be something serious this time. Please help!
  • Options
    nash6768nash6768 Member Posts: 2
    okay so i have a 2004 navigator i lifted the shift knob (it was kind of loose)and i pushed it back down and the chrome clip is stuck and the gear is locked in drive and will not move at all can anybody tell me what i should do
  • Options
    noleman86noleman86 Member Posts: 2
    I have 2 Navigators one a 2005 and one a 2006. They both are having the same issue on random occasions. During normal driving conditions, the brakes will begin to vibrate and make a strange noise. When this occurs, it is very difficult to stop the vehicle. Repeated attempts to turn of the advance trac will eventually succeed and then the issue and vibration disappears. The service tech has been unable to duplicate the issue and thinks I am insane. Given that I have two and they both have had the same issue with different drivers, I assume someone else out there has had the same issue. Help! I don't want a collision to be the only proof that this actually happens.
  • Options
    Sounds like the ABS is activating. Strange that it's happening on 2 different vehicles. Have you had a lot of wet weather lately? Might have bad ABS sensors.
  • Options
    noleman86noleman86 Member Posts: 2
    It has happened in both wet and dry conditions. I told the tech that I was sure it had something to do with the ABS/advance trac. Unfortunately, I guess they don't have the ability to tell what is wrong if they can't create the condition directly.
  • Options
    I have a 04 and I was driving fast going down a long and steep mountain road. As I got close to the bottom the brakes started to vibrate. Only happened the once since I have had the car new. I use the OD and go down slow from then on.