Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jerryreepjerryreep Member Posts: 1
    how doi change spark plugs in 1999 navigator
  • toolfxrtoolfxr Member Posts: 15
    My understanding from the dealer is that changing the plugs are no longer an owner job. The service manager told me that when they do the 100k service, the body is lifted so access to the plugs is possible. If this isn't correct, someone let me know. This info came from Mission Lincoln in Hayward, CA.
  • eaglejjeaglejj Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 Navigator that's having problems starting. After shopping at the mall, I proceeded to start the car and it would not start. At first I thought it was my battery, but I just installed a brand new battery less than 2 years ago! Also, the headlights and the inside lights were working fine, so then of course I thought it might be the starter, but apparently that is not the problem because I noticed my radio would not come on even though every thing else seemed to be working fine! So, then I thought I better get a jump because I may have a bad cell in the battery; well, I got a jump and voila! It started! So, the next day I took the car to get the oil change, and the same thing happened again (it would not start); so they changed out the battery and put a new one in since it was still under warranty; unfortunately, it still wouldn't start! I then told them how I was able to get it started by a jump and so we tried that and it still wouldn't start. The strange thing is (once again) everything seemed to be working except the radio and my door was locking and unlocking by itself and it seemed like it was losing power, but it was chiming fine (while the door was open) and it seemed like it had enough power. Has someone ever had this problem, if so, how did you fix it? Do I have a bad relay? Because eventually, after playing with it for a while it started again! But I still don't know what's wrong with it.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Sounds like a classic malfunctioning after-market alarm problem with a starter-cutout problem. Do you have one? Any other after-market products on the truck?
  • chris15chris15 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 Navigator in the black monotone. Have had problems with the power running boards from the gecko! Have had it in NUMEROUS times without success. The problem is intermittent and difficult to duplicate by the service department. Have gotten into the habit of videotaping each occurence. Have had numerous other ongoing electrical problems, including static coming through the speakers, even when radio off at times. Have filed with the Ford Dispute Settlement Board and am waiting for my day in "court". Any suggestions????
    No - this is the first time I've ever heard of this complaint on a Navigator, but I will say that I worried about those damn running boards, and I rejected them just based on my concern about their reliability at the time. Glad I did I guess.

On the constructive side of things - one thing you may want to try. Power down the truck by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Sometimes the Body Control Module can take a lightning hit of sorts and a power clear can straighten stuff like this out for you. It reset the power liftgate on mine once when it quit working.
    Service Department has been baffled by the problem also. Ford was aware of the power running board problem as they service department was waiting for a "fix" from Ford. Obviously other people with power running boards had a similar problem. They keep talking about the cold weather etc, but problem existed all year long, not just in winter months.
    I'll give the battery suggestion a try. Thanks for your input
  • 99licolln99licolln Member Posts: 3
    I own a 1999 Lincoln Navigator. It has been a great vehicle, until it started vibrating. It does it every time I drive, but sometimes way worse than other times. I took it to Lincoln 6 times. They say it doesn't throw anything off when they hook it up to the computer. Since the car is under warranty I haven't had to pay anything. The first time I took it in they replaced the pcv valve assembly. The second time I took it in (because it was still vibrating) They replaced the air unit pump for the air ride suspension. Didn't change anything. I took it in again and they thought it was the engine and transmission mount. I told them how can it be the transmission mount when the vehicle vibrates at a dead stop? Any ways, they changed the engine and transmission mounts on their dime, I guess since the vehicle had been in so many times. They finally told me that the vehicle was getting old, it's at it's end of it's life at 63,000 miles?? I told them I don't think it's Lincolns' intention is to build a 50,000 dollar vehicle to stop running at 63000 miles. So I made them pull up another Navigator with more miles, same year and it didn't vibrate. They have done nothing, but play part replacers. I can do that! Lincoln finally told me that they didn't know and I would have to drive my vehicle in that state.. Can anybody help me?? Please!!
    Antonio
  • jacksongatorjacksongator Member Posts: 2
    Hey man you have a bad coil some where I just repaird mine. Mine did the same thing. I spent money on all the above and more. I finally found it!
    You think it's a coil? Where? Also I forgot to say that the vehicle runs smooth when it is cold. Especially at start.
  • 98navigator98navigator Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Navigator and i purchased a 2000 5.4l engine. The diffrence between my current engine and the new engine is the intake manifolds. Can the 1998 manifold be swapped with the 2000 manifold. Is the block the same block that is in the 1998 navigator?
  • waneptunewaneptune Member Posts: 1
    I was on a long trip from Atlanta to Key West. Stopped in Miami and the check engine light came on after stopping and restarting the truck. Any idea what the issue could be?
  • lani5lani5 Member Posts: 17
    Sorry to read about your Navigator Dud, toolfxr. I, too, have had troubles with my '03 Ultimate Navigator beginning with a malfunctioning rear liftgate. Next came moonroof leaks, more leaks into the headliner (received completely new headliner for this one), intermittent running board problems (where it doesn't retract or come out as it should, when it should), then suspension problems (an updated compressor had to be put in) front and rear brake replacements (at less than 20K miles!!), and some other problems. The latest trouble I have right now is the "Check Park Assist" message --- the car no longer "beeps" when it's put in reverse. I't'll be in the shop first thing Monday morning.... again. Anyway, enough is enough already. I finally hired a lemon law attorney and he is handling this case for me as I haven't received any real customer service "commitment" from Lincoln. All Lincoln's done is to stall for time and give me the run-around.

Thought about getting a replacement for my lemon, but I am so leery of Navigators now. I had such a great experience with my '00 Navigator, too, that I automatically assumed I would have the same experience with this '03. No such luck.

I wish you lots of luck in having Ford buy back your lemon.
    FWIW, I have an 03 Gator - the only 2 problems you've had that I've experienced too, have been the rear liftgate and the front brakes - both were handled by Lincoln, no problem, no reoccurance. Been very happy with both my 99 and my 03. Looking forward to getting an 08. Sorry your 03 is a dog - it happens, it's unfortunate it happened to you.
  • toolfxrtoolfxr Member Posts: 15
    To follow up on my previous posting, the dealer has now found a hidden problem code for the transmission. No fix at this time. Tranny sounds like it's on it's last legs at 11k miles. Will be putting this lemon back into the shop. Dealer told us to call back in 30 days for a resolution. Times up!!! Ford /Lincoln is ditchin' us also. No call back or letters.
  • jacksongatorjacksongator Member Posts: 2
    My car would run fine when it was cold to. However if you had a bad coil you check engine light would come on. If they ran a test if would read system run lean bank 1-8 it could be any one they just need to tell you
    I have had no transmission problems in 27,000 miles. Smoothest shifting transmission I've ever had. I did, however, burn out a left taillight tonight, dammit. The car is falling apart......
    They have ran tests. Nothing comes up on their computer. It doesn't trigger anything wrong with the car. Any ideas??
  • mistylmistyl Member Posts: 4
    I have big problems with my navigator. At 27000 front of truck would shake when brakes applied. They replaced rotors on a "Service recall". Then at 30000 miles, at 50 mph, truck started to skip. Got alot worse over next three days of driving. Took in to the shop at Lincoln. I thought it had bad gas or fuel filter need replacing. WRONG Service tech said 200 more miles and the engine would blow. I should have gotten my keys back and when home and back then the motor would have to be replaced.
    They said this was the 5th navigator in this week with the same problem. Ford had a "Service Recall" out on this because some navigators got some bad coils. The coil went out, which in turn caused the driver side heads to go out. Was told if repairs cost over $2200.00 they will put in new motor. I was so satisfied with that. But 2 weeks later. They say everything was fixable under $2200.00. So I get fixed heads. I have the running board problems , they say it was fixed. But they still dont come out everytime. I really love my navigator. I just hope the next owner dont have the same problems with it when I trade it in next week. I am almost out of warrenty so I have to get rid of any problems, which means bye bye truck.
    I assume you have the 4V Intech engine? Mine has been so flawless-hard to believe it could be one of the affected ones at some point.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    You have a 2004 Navigator that is out of warranty appx next week? Do you drive it 24/7??? And the problems u talk about happened at 27000 and 30000 miles? That's a long time ago if you're almost at 50,000. Why are you complaining now?

Furthermore, warped rotors at 27000 miles is not that uncommon for big, heavy vehicles. Especially depending on how one drives and uses the brakes. Do you pull a trailer with it? As for your Navigator starting to "skip", I would've waited for it to also hop and jump before taking it to service.

The rest of your story is, well, no more sensical. Tech knew that engine would blow in 200 more miles? Ask him for stock market picks, will ya? This one shop had 5 Navigators with 'almost blown engines' in ONE week? Most dealers probably don't see a total of 5 Navigators period in one week. Coil goes out and causes HEAD to go out? What are you talking about?

And to nvbanker: You "assume" which engine this Nav has? Gee, what optional engines were available?
    "And to nvbanker: You "assume" which engine this Nav has? Gee, what optional engines were available?"

Just like you, George, I'm checking for some credibility, to see if anything adds up here...... Something smells....
    The reason to complain now is because it is at 30,000 mile. No, I was told rotors were on a service recall so they just replaced because of that. Not because they were really needed. They claim Ford sent out a bad batch of motors on navigators. So they claim.
    Make sense that they had so many in the shop area, I still have not gotten mine back, as promised on monday, now not till friday. 3 weeks ago it got turned in. Iam a builder(houses), so yes I drive ALOT. The poor mercury sable they gave me had 5 miles on it, now 1300. Just in almost 3 weeks. Im a woman i dont pay attenion to motor size sorry.
    They claim coil made head go out. They decided to fix heads in stead of new motor.
    Oh ya when I say almost out off warrenty, i mean I drive alot. 30000 miles in one year. Yes by this summer I will be close enough to 50000. So why deal with problems later. Trade in know while mileage isnt so bad for a trade in. Ill get another navigator.
    Would love to know what smells. I have been in a box Mercury sable for 3 weeks and would love to know why it takes so long to fix a motor. Obvious somethings wrong with the truck. Or maybe because I had to be put to the back of the pile cause of all 5 navigators before me had to be fixed first! I has a hummer h2 before this and had a few issues. That why I got the navigator thinking a ford would be better. Please dont prove me wrong. Dealer is in atlanta, maybe just busy.
  • koby01koby01 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had problems w. the air conditioning not working?? I just went to turn the ac on and noticed that it is not turning on.. Heat and fans work but ac compressor does not seem to be engaging.. someone help..!!
    You probably had an o ring let your R-134 go during the winter, which turns off your compressor so it won't burn out. You need leak detector to find the o ring that's bad, the o ring replaced, and a recharge. Then you'll be fine.
  • bomberobombero Member Posts: 12
    2004 nav.
    1. Drivers seat failed right after the dealer installed lo jack and security alarm.
    Dealer ordered new parts and fixed the seat.
    2. Service department wrecked the car about 10 days after buying it.
    $1500 worth of damage, dealer repaired.
    3. Passenger running board failed to operate maybe 3 times out of several hundred
    openings. The dealer must have known what the problem was because they fixed
    it.
    4. DVD player failed. Dealer replaced

I currently have 17,000 miles on it. I can understand why it might be so highly rated as unreliable, because it has so many "gadgets" or extras that can go bad.

My nav makes a clunking sound on cold starts. It made the sound from the first few days of owning the vehicle. The service dept advised me the 2004 had a new a/c compressor and that it had a tendency to clunk on cold starts. It clunked several times when we first got the car and seemed to taper off. Truth is it rarely does it, but when it does it catches our attention. Almost a year later and the service department says they have never heard of that problem. I cant find any similar problems noted on the internet as well. Unless it starts happening more often it may never get diagnosed.

Speaking of clunks. I was going down a hill and around a corner probably to fast and we heard a loud clunk as I was making the turn. I was thinking that maybe the loud clunk was the result of the the traction stability device activating.
    Is normal - all Fords do it. It's the A/C clutch engaging the compressor, and while disconcerting, it's nothing to worry about. Don't believe me, go to the dealership, and go start up a bunch of cars on the lot. Half of them will do it when the A/C is turned on. All kinds of models. Town Cars, Grand Marquis, Aviators. It's normal. :shades:
  • seanerseaner Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I too have a 2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate. 36000 miles and maintained well. Not beaten on. I Have to date replaced the both sets of brakes. I have had countless problems with the running board. I have the liftgate problems, and the door ajar problems. I have the problems with the mirrors not going back to the correct positions, you cannot set the mirrors to go to the saved locations. The park assist never works, the chilled and heated seats do not work. The DVD player has malfunctioned, and last weekend the transmission stopped working so now I have not had my car since Saturday April 16th. I love the Navigator. But I think I need to hire a lawyer too. Has anyone else lost a transmission?? Let me know
  • njbaran99njbaran99 Member Posts: 69
    When did this problems start?

I have an 05' Navi Ultimate with only 1500 Miles and no probs as of yet. I opted to the 40/20/40 2nd Row Seats as I have 2 little ones and a 3rd on the way and did not want to have to put on of the kids in the 3rd Row, all the time.

So, I have fixed running boards, so I wll not experience that issue.

I also found, not sure if others will agree, that the deployable Running Boards sort of got in the way for someone who does not need them, like me, as I am ~6 Foot Tall. Have other had a similar view.

Best wishes getting your Navi fixed or replaced, I hope the 05' is more trouble-free, but I did get the Ford Premium Care Warranty and Full Maintenance to 100K or 6 Years.
  • mn2004240mn2004240 Member Posts: 4
    I'm having the same problems that bombero, Seaner, Chris15 have with the Running Boards some times they deploy and sometimes they don't, I took it to the dealer several times, the first time they replaced some module two days later I'm back with the same problem to make the story shorts I have had three Lincoln dealers in Southern California look at it, and they even called one of the Ford Engineers and supposedly he spent 4 hours trying to duplicate the problem but he had no luck according to the Dealer, however the next day I went to pickup the car from the Dealer, I go to open the door and the running boards did not deploy luckily it happened in front of the Service Manager, Service Adviser and the Mechanic so they called the Ford Engineer on the phone and they ran bunch of test to try to figure out the problem, but had no luck of trying to duplicate the problem, the Dealer kept the car for 4 days and I picked it up last week I didn't drive the car much maybe 25 miles and on the weekend we drove it to our friends and when we got there I opened the door and the Running Boards did not Deploy, and it happened again the next day at home so I took my video camera and filmed it also I took photos when it happened on Saturday and I had three witnessed that saw what happened, I also have many more issues with this car for example;-

factory DVD Player does not work some times and will show Error codes, GPS turns On and Off by it self without touching it.
    Driver seat started falling apart so they redid and replaced the upholstery.
    Brakes had to be changed twice the car had only 5,000 miles due to vibrations,
    Driver seat also was not aligned correctly on the rail and will shift whiles driving they replaced the track.
    Electrical lift gate stopped working after the running board module was changed and we were not even able to open it manually, they changed the motors.
    Gear Shifter got loose and almost fell off...now that was funny.
    Driver Side Mirror stopped folding or it will only fold half way sometimes and it will stop, they had to replace that Mirror Twice and now it makes grinding noise when folding.
    =Driver side Speaker by JBL had a static noise so they replaced it but the tech never bothered to test it after fixing it so the problem was not fixed at first time, I took it back to dealer they found a faulty wire from the radio and fixed it.

to make the stories short this is my third Navigator in five years and this 04 Navigator has 12,700 miles on it, I have proof of the running boards falling and I know they cannot deny that since it happened in front of the Service Manager and the Mechanic at the local Lincoln dealer.

Any suggestions... :mad:
    Just a curious suggestion/question. When you experience the problem, is it on both Running Boards, or just one?

Have you considered maybe the setting on the Computer is somehow getting screwed up, as I thought there is an option to turn the running boards off.

As I reported previously, I have the 40/20/40 2nd Row Bench, so I have the fixed running boards, can't get them with the 40/20/40, as I guess the motor for the Deployable Running boards are where the 20 seat mounts.
    I took home a Gator with the power running boards overnight when I was shopping, and also found them to be more of an annoyance, than an appliance, so chose a different truck that had the stationary boards, and haven't regretted it - especially when I hear they seem to be problematic on some trucks.. I was afraid they may be. Really cute, but sort of useless.

I've not had near the issues most of the complainants on this board have had, or to the degree they have had. My Gator runs great, engine and transmission are extraordinary. Other issues have been minor. Trucks not perfect like my 99 was, but it's still the best design out there, and if I were to replace it, I'd still get another Navigator I believe.
    yes it happens on both sides, and the setting for the running board is Turned ON and on Auto as well.

also my 04 Navigator is an Ultimate in the black monotone, and I do have 40/20/40 2nd Row Bench, with the Running Boards and the motor for the Running Boards is under neath the car right behind the front wheels.

thank you.
  • damnyankeedamnyankee Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,

I just changed the IAC(idle air control valve) and that didn't help. when i'm at stop lights the vehicle acts like it wants to cut off. runs and sounds real bad when i'm stopped. Any solutions?

Thanks in Advance
    That's odd, the 40/20/40 is not available with deployable running boards in 2005 with a 4X4.

Is your 2004 Ultimate a 4X2?

In the 2005 Brochere it says in the Options, I quote:

Running Boards - Power-Deployable (not available with 40/20/40 2nd-row Split on 4x4)

If you have a 2004 4x4 with the 40/20/40, maybe they changed the location of the motor.
    Is there this big Problems and Solutions separate topic here, but there is no such animal for, say, the Infiniti QX56?

I have asked Edmunds and await their answer but thought I would raise the question here too.

I ask because it may speak to a question of bias? I mean, a large 'Problem' list right away may put people off. Yet, if you go to the Infiniti QX56 list, you'll find that the percentage of big time problems with that vehicle seems to be higher than with the Navigator. "Brakes from H*ll" being one major problem.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask.
    George - Based on my neighbors with one QX56, two Armadas and one Titan, all of whom say they hate their trucks, and they not only have brakes from hell, they also have problems with the 4 wheel drive, tire pressure monitoring systems and numerous other systems, it sounds about right.
    Yes, I have 2004 Ultimate a 4x2 with 40/20/40
  • latino66latino66 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2001 navigator and when I test drove it, a loud vibrating sound came from the passenger seat area. I asked the salesman what is that noise, and he said it was the airbag sensor for the passenger. When I come to a stop or put the car in park the noise keeps coming back for at least 7-10 seconds. Let me tell you this noise is getting on my nerves in a major way. Can any one give me any words of advise of what this noise is. I have looked on the internet for problems similar to this and none exist. I think I got screwed by the car dealer.
    You think you got screwed? How the h*ll do u figure that? You heard the noise and bought the car anyway. Did u think it would just go away on it's own? Words of advice: Next time, have a MECHANIC tell u what the noise is BEFORE you buy the car. Geez.
  • badamczykbadamczyk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 nav that the air suspension does not work. I replaced the compressor motor but still no luck. does anyone know which relay controls the pump and where it is. all of the info in the users manual only says there is a 50 amp fuse and no relay.
    Mn:
    Last month, I won my case with the Ford Dispute Settlement Board. In my decision with the FDSB, they are not depreciating the vehicle as it was in for 26 days. I currently have 27K miles on it. Ford Dispute Resolution Specialist is working with their audit department to determine the amount I will receive for the "buyback." This part of the process has been extremely upsetting. Dealer got a 3K rebate assigned to him. When they wrote up the purchase contract they did not include the rebate on it.Ford is trying to deduct the 3K from what I paid out of pocket while the dealer laughs all the way to the bank. At this point I am so disgusted with Ford, I'm seriously considering switching to an Escalade and never purchasing a Ford product again. I love my navigator, I just want it to work how it is supposed to. My husband and I were going to stick with a replacement vehicle until all this rebate fiasco began. Ford Dispute Resolution Specialist has been less than helpful. It is now into the 43rd day after the decision. My understanding was that Ford was supposed to "make every effort to resolve this within 30 days." The 2006's will probably be out before this is resolved. When requesting payment history from bank that dealer arranged financing from I was surprised to learn the each month the dealer would get monet transferred from my car payment to them. ex. Payment $457, dealer transfer $111. Sounds kind of "shaky" to me. Buyer beware!!!! Hopefully, Ford will come through with reimbursing me what I paid for my nav and I will not have to pursue the Lemon Law with an attorney. I really loved my navigator, I just want what I paid for
    WHAT YEAR NAVIGATOR DID YU HAVE AND WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM WITH.??
    I have a 2004 Navigator. Problem was multiple electrical problems such as power running boards not deploying many times, loud noises coming though speakers even with radio off, visible vibration in steering wheel on the highway to name a few.
    Ford Dispute board has given me the buyback price of my vehicle and I am awaiting the next step with the dealer.
    It's been a very long year!!!
  • kat11kat11 Member Posts: 2
    i'm desperately looking for a window moulding/vent piece for the rear (third row) passenger side window. The piece is glued to the exterior window. I don't know what purpose it serves (it is on both sides) but, one fell off and smashed on teh highway, now i need to replace it for looks.

Can someone tell where i could find this? dealer says, i would need to replace teh entire window-- which is a bunch of crap b/c there is NOTHING wrong with the window, the moulding simply fell off.

Can someone help me please?? I've been all over the web and can't find anything-- namely b/c i don't know what it is called or a part number.

thank yoou!!
  • tchristotchristo Member Posts: 1
    Replaced running boards - Replaced radio and cd 2 times - outside mirrors worked on 2 times (service representative suggest I deactivate the mirrors) - power seat on drivers side motor failed 2 times - drivers seat (bottom) foam replaced as it was crumbling on the floor (it is doing it again) - motor on power window (rear passenger) failed - grille between windshild and hood fractured - air suspension on drivers side failed - rear bucked seat wobbled and was finally replaced - tailgate would not close properly causing interior and exterior puddle lights to stay on.
    I like the vehicle, but my wife hates it. Too many problems and has the worst radio for reception for any car, let alone a $50,000 + vehicle.
    I feel really badly for you but this is bizzare as I also have a 2003. I have replaced the Stereo also, but for a small defect - the cd player jammed. My outside mirrors have been flawless. Power seat flawless. Seat flawless. Power windows flawless. Grille flawless. Air suspension flawless. Rear seats flawless. Tailgate motors did need replacement once. My radio receptions is also flawless, in fact, it's one of the finest radios I've ever had.

It's really strange how yours can be so terrible, and mine so not. I'm thinking about buying mine out of the lease, I like it so well.......
  • tedzepplintedzepplin Member Posts: 5
    I am kind of worried now after reading this thread. Is there anyone out there, besides me, that has not had any problems with their Navigator? I recently purchased a 2003 Navigator Ultimate 4X4 from a local dealer, it was a lease turn-in with very low mileage. This Navigator is replacing a 1993 Maxima, which I have turned over to my teenage daughter with 149,000 miles, and counting. Before I signed the check for the Navigator, I did do some research with regards to any recalls, and I found none listed anywhere. Since the vehicle was leased through Ford Credit, I was also able to get a comprehensive service record of the vehicle and I also found nothing that scared me, just the usual oil changes, and check-ups. Apparently, the previous owner used the dealership for everything, and he had no problems during his ownership. After reading this forum thread, I am beginning to appreciate that I bought the extended bumper to bumper warantee that was offered. I was hoping to get another 149,000 miles on the odometer before I retire this vehicle as well, I just hate buying cars. As of now, I have not encountered any problems, other than really lousy gas economy (which I expected), and I am not complaining. I guess some Navigators of this year are just a plague of problems, and some people were lucky. I wonder if these problem vehicles can be traced to a certain run of VIN#'s, or a specific span of manufacturing dates? I have owned cars and trucks in the past where problems could be tracked in this manner. Just a thought.