Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kbryankbryan Member Posts: 1
    it takes up to 5 to 10 seconds to start when cold. After initial startup it will start again instantly. Let it set 10 minutes and it takes a long time to start again. checked fuel pressure and its running about 30 psi. Any body got an idea what it could be?
  • jwallyjwally Member Posts: 71
    "Any suggestions or is anyone else having problems with their 02 navigator like me? "
    YEAH SELL IT! I have an 2001 with 78,000 miles. I guess I have a Lemon also. been through TWO trannys,one at around 30,000 miles and the next around 55,000 miles. first tranny done at Lincoln and was lied to that it would be covered for another 3years/36,000 miles well when second went they refused but I guess thats why that Lincoln dealer is closed down. This vehicle is driven 95% by my wife and not rough either. Also been through computers(GEM Modular), Air shocks a few times and relays, coils,alternators,fogs lights,running board,wiper switch,fuses, radio, shifter, alignments,stabilizer links and other front end parts,rotors,air compressor,leaky wiper hose on passeneger door that dealer taped to fix and bleed all over my light gray carpet.etc,etc. terrible non existence support from Ford.
    I also had smells like a moldy smell. Fix for me several times was to spray Lysol in air ducts near hood wipers area. There is a TSB on Flakes from the vents not sure if yours is related.
    ITS A DRIVEWAY LAWN ORNAMENT, IT SPENDS MORE DOWN TIME BROKEN THEN ON THE ROAD.But I guess I shouldn't expect so much for one of Fords top of the line most expensive vehicle at $55,000(sarcastic)?
    THIS IS THE WORST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED IN 27 YEARS.
    I WILL NEVER BUY A FORD/LINCOLN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!
    good luck you'll need it with Found On Road Dead(FORD),Fixed Or Repaired Daily(FORD).I will be looking to sell my POS ASAP
    In NY(my location) Security guards,hair cutters,etc have to be licensed by New York State but mechanics who have many lives at risk don't. Makes no sense to me.
    Anyway your fix is most likely a air compressor relay located on my 2001 under the front right side(passenger side)front bumper near horn. Parts about $50-95. My mechanic said it was the compressor also(i guess so they can rip you off on the part price and labor, after research online at other sites I found it was relay.Good luck
    might be a coil pack, I had a similar problem. I think its common for the number 4 coil pack.
    As far as the seller,file complaints with Department of Motor vehicles, State Attorney Generals office, Consumer affairs,Better Business Bureau, Federal trade Commission,etc. Most entitys have lazy useless emptysuits employees(especially the official ones) but maybe you'll get lucky and find one who can look in the mirror and say they earned a days pay, and help you
    "
    WIPERS STAY ON, turned them to the longest delay setting. All functions of wiper work but when control is off they still stay on,anyone know why? If I line up control between off position and longest delay position(but have to hold at that position) it will stay off"

After the Ford Dealers trail and error who first replaced the wiper switch and then I told them from what I read on other sites it was the switch.
    The fix to my above problem was the wiper switch(stork on steering column) hope this helps someone.
    I WILL NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • catfish77catfish77 Member Posts: 1
    I got a '99 Lincoln Navigator. I have been having problems with the starter for a couple weeks now, but just recently, within the past week, I have had the problem of the truck shaking when I get up between 40 and 55 mph. Any idea what it might be?
  • denhamdenham Member Posts: 76
    In my shop I have had a number of ride problems with after market wheels and tires.
    Check your tire condition and provide more information if that is not the problem?
  • ss1ss1 Member Posts: 3
    Where do you access the climate control seat filter? I have never changed this at 60K miles. The seats do not work as effectively as they once did. Can I do this or is this difficult to access that I will have to pay the dealer a ridiculous amount of money to change it.

Thanks
  • sundevil95sundevil95 Member Posts: 1
    The driver seat in my 2005 navi has had issues with the forward/backward modes. The lumbar,up/down, and tilt of the back portion of the seat all work great.....the only mode that works off and on is the forward and back portion. When you use the button on the side of the seat you hear a click like the motor wants to move but does nothing. Then all of a sudden it works for a couple weeks then fails for 3 weeks. The dealer first said the track was dirty, then when it failed again he said the motor needed to be replaced....which was apparently done under warranty. It still doesnt work but now the warranty has expired. I have checked the fuses and they are all intact. This is the only feature onthe power seat not working.....any ideas? thanks!
  • xman2006mz5xman2006mz5 Member Posts: 16
    Battery is constantly dying. Then the clicking relay sound in passenger compartment. Then the door lock/unlock phenomenon. The driver side door switch (for interior lighting) seems to set it all off (at least the door unlock/lock part). Where is the door switch? Additionally, are there ground wire issues to be made aware of?
  • arieldgarieldg Member Posts: 1
    Hello, new member here. yesterday turned on the heater and the heater was blowing only cold air. can someone direct me to how to solve this issue? any advice is appreciated.

thanks
    ariel
  • bigred28bigred28 Member Posts: 1
    HI I am doing some maintainence on my 2001 Nav 4 wd and when ordering parts it asks what model I have Vin R or Vin A. Does this simply mean if the vun # has an A or R this tells me what part number to order? Also, what are the difference between these to models.

Appreciate the help, Thanks.
  • byrongeobyrongeo Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem and the dealer replaced the module, they say that is the one giving me the problem. I have the problem on and off for a year. cost over $2000.00 . they were able to adjust my payment to around $750
  • marissa1013marissa1013 Member Posts: 6
    I was driving down the rode with no heat on and all i smelled is anti freeze went home checked under the hood and didnt see anything checked my floor boards incase it was the heater core leaking but they were dry my temp guage stayed the same.. A hour later i see the anti freeze rolling down my driveway...anyone has any idea what it could be???????????
    Have u turned the heat on yet? My sister has a 98' Navigator & her heater core is dead. She lives in Georgia, so little if any severer weather. I have a 01 Navigator here in Northern Illinois. I have other issues, but not the heater core as of today. You will have to isolate the leak location for a good answer from us hacks in this forum. Only certain areas contain coolant. (engine block water jacket, radiator, heater core, & associated hoses and piping)
  • bannabeautybannabeauty Member Posts: 3
    we have a 98 with a similar problem. Heat in the back but not the front. Our mechanic has told us it is probably the switch for the doors with the front heater. They way I understand it, there's a switch that tells the door to go from the cold air to the warm air and navigators have lots of problems with this particular switch. we are having our switch checked tomorrow, to find out if this is the problem. He checked the hoses and they are hot so that's what makes him believe that its the switch for the door. I or my husband are not that mechanically inclined, but this guy really explains lots of stuff to us and he has earned our trust. We let you know how everything works out. He is doing the work at our house, so it's probably going to take a couple of days, he's working in between his work on his regular job.
  • marissa1013marissa1013 Member Posts: 6
    so they heater core can be dead and the anti freeze not leak inside the truck?I tried the heat and no heat comes out only cold air..I'm taking it today to get someone to find the leak my dad couldnt find it anywhere. Any ideas where it could be coming from?
    Yes, the heater core can be damaged and the coolant not leak inside the truck. I am sure you have already been told this by your mechanic, but I wanted to respond since you asked. In case you don't want to spend the {large loot} to repair the unit, which I fear is the remedy, you may be able to get a portable heating unit to warm the vehicle for the winter months. {J.C. Whitney, Autozone Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, Internet vendors, etc}
  • bigbouybigbouy Member Posts: 4
    Man i must say these suv's are a piece of S.... but i have to spend the money. Here's my problem, the wife try to start but only get a click. I change the starter but still only a click. I try to start by jumping the starter but still nothing. Can you tell me or give me some help full tip PLEASE. I really need some help.
    Thank You So Much.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Don't take this the wrong way, but is it possible you're out of gas? Also, do any of the dash lights come on when you're trying to start your Navigator?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Your problem from what I read is low voltage. Check your battery and cable ends and make sure you have good voltage, if not you will only get a click. Most often it is the most simple thing that goes over looked.
    Dennis
    thanx for the reply....but ist not a gas problem the truck would even start or tumble, but all the lights come on the dash......still trying.
    thanx for the infor.
    thanx for respond.....when i had replace the starter i had replace the Negative cable as well. The positive cable seems fine and i had check the voltage again and i got a reading of 11.90V, do u think that's too low ???? what had happened the wife went out to start the truck in the morning and just got a click. I found the poles very corrosive, clean them up and nothing still, another mechanic said the starter, so i replace it, still nothing : ) . I would try to put a booster on and change the positive cable and see if possible. but thanks a lot for the help.
    You should have 12.5v with a good battery. Note: For general information, a weak
    battery hurts gas mileage as the charging system works over time and will wear out the stater as it will get hot as it does not have proper voltage. A click when you turn the key is a sign of low voltage and I now wonder if your starter was indeed bad?
    Well I boost the battery but still nothing and i did check the old starter and that's good as well. Don"t know what else to do on my own and i know for a fact the dealer is going to charge a hell of a lot.
    Thanks for the help.
    I would recheck the battery cable ends at the battery and insure the battery and all is well there before seeing a dealer. A cable can look ok, but yet fool; you!
    Dennis
  • 2000navigator2000navigator Member Posts: 4
    It can only be a couple of things. Battery, starter, battery cables or a seized motor that wont turn. Are you getting power inside the car. I noticed you tried to boost the Navi. Did it click when you turned the key. Sometime a battery can be so dead it wont take a jump. My money is on the battery or cable.
    Let me know. It sucks to take your care to the dealer because after that you have to fix your wallet.
  • 2000navigator2000navigator Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 navi with all wheel drive, 4 low and 4 high. I dont use it very much but I tried it the other day in 4 high and when I put it back in all wheel drive it took about a mile down the road before it disengaged. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  • gcollisongcollison Member Posts: 2
    I too have had this happen and it was in a drive way with just a bit of and incline..so clearly there is something not right with this. I have always had to put on the emergency brake. Running boards is another issue..they started making a loud clicking sound apparently drivers side has slipped off....come on and expensive vehical as this..?? Need answers. Had brakes replaced a couple of months ago and now the steering began tight and jerky..but have to wait till Monday to take it in and have it looked at. I could have done better purchasing a mini van. I would like answers to my questions though. thanx
  • gcollisongcollison Member Posts: 2
    I am currently driving an SUV that I absolutely love for safety reasons to transport my children back and forth for school and many other excursions. But due to rising gas prices, but mainly the repair costs of this vehical I am considering to replace this with a mini van. So many features we absolutely love about this vehical but already serveral repairs too many from the beginning of purchase and they just keep comming. Many of these repairs are guessing games as for some reason signs and symptoms are usually unclear.
  • kingdudleykingdudley Member Posts: 4
    :lemon: ?
    I am interested in purchasing a 2007 Navigator. A dealership has presented me with and outwardly appealing vehicle. However, when I reviewed the CARFAX report it only reflected maintenance for JUN09 (26 months after purchase). There was no mileage on the report. The vehicle now has 28K miles. So I am lead to assume that it likely had 20K + before it even saw a garage. A recall for door handles doesn’t seem to have been addressed. This was a leased vehicle so I tend to believe that the person figured it would not be his problem so why invest the money. The dealership - which is not fly by night, says that they are performing their 154 point inspection to resell as a "certified pre-owned" vehicle. It is my understanding that the owner was a professional Male in his early 40s living in the state of PA.

I have 3 questions:
    1. Is it likely that it went 26 months before service?
    2. How harmful to the engine will that be?
    3. Will the Dealership be able to certify this vehicle without verification that the scheduled maintenance had been performed?

Actually, I have 4 questions, Should I RUN away from this vehicle?

Thank you
    Your CarFax only list reports received from insurance, change of owner and most often service from dealerships. You can run a report on my cars and find nothing, as I have
    no accident and get my cars service local. Have you checked the glove box for any
    records, or best yet find the prior owner and talk with him if any doubts.
  • smokinjoe11smokinjoe11 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 lincln navigator it is leaking coolant from the back side of the engine above the starter .The rear heater lines are not leaking the heat works when the radiator is full.It does not leak when engine is running.But drains radiator when you cut it off.I really need imput on this.
  • millszmillsz Member Posts: 1
    Help, I have a 2006 Nav. Ultimate just turned 40k today is certified by Lincoln. We have owned this SUV for 4 months and it’s getting on my nerves! First time was a few days after getting it pulling out onto a road going up hill. Stalled! Btw very steep hill with a lake maybe 150 feet below! My Wife or Son would of gone backwards into the lake NO JOKE! By chance I hit the break and grabbed for the door handle… The breaks held but…. Took it to dealer, answer running in speck…. Nav has always run rough and stalls @ stop lights, driving @ 20 -40 mph(hum) It has been into dealer 6 - 7 times for this! Dealer tells me “it’s running in speck”. Transmit ion will up shift down shift @ 30 - 50 mph. not like we would think. It’s not “slipping into and out of OD based on load or road grade. Very different. It will act like there is not enough transmit ion fluid when going into drive or reverse. Than suddenly drop into gear. The engine will run up with the accelerator as if it’s in neutral but with a grinding sound, not good. Dealer tells me it’s within spec. Um right. In and out of dealer 5 - 6 times for this. Now the air ride is not working. Front is low over the tires looks as if the top of the tires are leaning inward. This truck feels like “dating the prettiest girl in school” to much like work. Could it be the dealer? Any suggestion for dealers I am south of Boston by Cape Cod, Willing to travel to get it fixed. We had 2 Expeditions both cranked up 140,000K plus no issues other than normal things. (Maybe ball joints tie rods earlier than I would of thought but still 80,000K plus.)
  • betajdlbetajdl Member Posts: 3
    Any luck on the repair?
    My wife drives a 2002 Navi and is having the same issue (heat not working in the front but working in the back). I do feel some heat coming from the front althrough not much. There is no evidence of a coolant leak although I do need a flush and fill.

Anyone have an idea of the cost to check/replace the switch mentioned above?
  • john19999john19999 Member Posts: 3
    I need to replace sway bar link for front on my Navigator 2000. Can you please share procedure. Is there any special tool required to instal the new sway bar link. Do I need to raise Navigator to insert the link. I will appreciate response please

Thanks
    John19999
    1. we replaced the struts on the front because of a whistling sound, we were told there was a leak in the bags by the dealer. We found a really great mechanic shop that saved us about 1,000. OK, that stopped the whistling. The compressor was already coming on frequently, and continued after replacing the struts. The truck does rise on the front as much as we can tell, the back doesn't seem to have any problems. It's not lower than the front, it just seems to stay in one position, only the front rises.

2. The heater in the rear works OK. It takes the truck a long time to get warm and seems to get better as we drive. But the heater in the front comes on, but only cold air comes out. NO HOT OR EVEN WARM AIR. We have been told it would cost about $600 to remove the dash and check a door that switches the air from cold to hot (or something like that) We don't have an additional $600 to fix, so we decided to just use the back heater.

My questions are:
    1. Does it sound like the compressor is going bad and if so, can we replace ourselves?

2. Can we replace the dash ourselves. I am willing, I am more mechanically inclined than my husband. He'd rather wait til we get the money and and pay someone else to do it. HELP!
    we also had to replace sway bars when we replaced struts on our 98 navigator. we paid a mechanic $100 to replace them. the parts only cost about $20. sorry i can't tell you if you need a special tool or not. the dealer was going to charge us about $200 to replace
    The door switch most often (driver side) sticks and when closed does not make contact and compressor will not come on and rear will not rise. The switch for the compressor is forward of the door and inside the panel and a bit difficult to get at but
    dust and dirt after a few years it starts sticking and makes the compressor not come on and lift. I have a shop and have had a number of these problems.
    Dennis
  • jimmy_hoffajimmy_hoffa Member Posts: 1
    Ok heres what happened... I went to a shady hole in the wall to get a quick oil change. 700 miles later the oil was gone. I didnt realize it and drove it with no oil. The truck shut down while on the freeway. I put 3 quarts of oil in it and waited 10 minutes before starting. Once I started it up I drove it about a mile and a half and parked it at a friends house. The truck starts right up and runs smooth but theres a clanging noise coming from the engine. Not sure if I spun a bearing or what. Any ideas? Thanks!

1999 Lincoln Navigator
    Did your oil light not come on, if not it should have? The oil you put in went into the oil pan and only after you started the engine the oil pump picked up the oil for the rod bearings and main bearings ( your 10 minute wait did nothing more than cool the engine). I would get the noise you have checked out, first check the oil pressure and if in doubt remove the oil pan ( a spun bearing is bad news and less hope not).
    Dennis.
  • gerardojjgerardojj Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem with mine but on mine the center white wire broke so now my knob doesnt go into gear and i have no idea on how to replace it or how much the part is going to cost, mine is an 04, if u have any idea on how to replace it please let me know, thank you
  • kvalentinokvalentino Member Posts: 12
    Hi I am wondering if you wound up buying or not?? I am also ready to put a deposit down on an 07 Navi ultimate with 40k miles....few services recorded.....just wondering how you like it so far? Thanks.

Christian
  • mariaestelamariaestela Member Posts: 2
    I also have an 2002 Navi and it was doing the exact same thing. My extended warranty ran out and I was freezing and couldn't afford to take it to the local Lincoln dealer. Plus they told me the year before it was something else i can't remember, and wanted like 350$ for the part. Well a week later I took it in for another problem and when I got it back my heater was working. I think they just didn't plug something back in. Take it in to the dealer if you have the warranty or have another mechanic take a look. A fresh pair of eyes couldn't hurt. My mechanics at my local dealership just don't care. I'm in there everyother month or so for one thing or another. I say your best bet if you can afford it is get another car asap. I love my lincoln but it is a thorn in my side if it isn't one thing messing up its another. If i new then when i bought my Navi what I know now I wouldn't have bought it. But i have no choice I am a full time college student and can't afford to trade in my navigator for something else for a while. so I'm stuck. Good luck with your navigator.
  • jsanford3jsanford3 Member Posts: 1
    Drive line vibration most noticable between 50 & 60 mph.
    Wheels balanced on road load simulator, drive shaft re-indexed.
    Vibration still the same. Has been with us since new vehicle delivered.
  • mzthompsonmzthompson Member Posts: 1
    Im having two problems with my navigator, the front head lights keeps going out i have replaced the fuses twice dont know what that is and also when im driving and it gets to about 40 mph the truck would start shaking, sometimes it does it so hard it feels as though something going to fall down. Please help! Dont trust to many mechanics have been told different things........ :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
    I am in the Tire and Alignment business and the problem you may have is a bad tire
    or loose lug nuts.
    I have people put on after market wheels with the wrong off set and low profile tires making for this shaking problem and after time they must replace tie rod ends and get correct tires and wheels.
    Let me know what and when you find your problem!
  • louiefriaslouiefrias Member Posts: 2
    Do not PURCHASE Lincoln Navigator replacement suspension products from STRUTMASTERS UNLESS you want your once nice kick [non-permissible content removed] looking ride to look like a four wheel drive Hummer!

No longer will your ride sit fat on 22’s and catch that look you paid for when buying the Navi…noooooo, now you get to look like a “ratard”.

I purchased the coil over struts to replace my failing air ride system, and NOWHERE on STRUTMASTERS website OR accompanying instructions is it mentioned that your ride will ride SOOOOO high. (Gee, I wonder why? Perhaps because if potential purchasers knew this, we would consider something else? Or make us sign a waiver that the ride height would be forever altered?)

When the vehicle was at the Lincoln dealer for service after installation of the STRUTMASTER product, the service manager approached me as I was paying my bill and asked if I wanted them to investigate why the vehicle height was so askew.

(What does THAT tell you.)

Anyway, the final answer from the company salesperson who sold them to me after months of asking for a refund or re-engineered product? He assured me that I was the ONLY person complaining as they had installed hundreds of systems on many navigators for numerous Lincoln dealers…and yet would not provide any contact information so I could inquire as to the satisfaction or measurements of such installs. “I wish you well.” I wish you well? That’s it?

Bottom line? Buy STRUTMASTER products AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you want to see before and afters, drop me an email. louiefrias@cox.net
  • chris229chris229 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 lincoln navigator and today when i went to church and got ready to shut it off, my gearshift was really loose, would just go back and forth, so i shut it off and when i went back to go home, it was completely dead, had a friend look at it and he said he thought it was the "nuetral chain cable" don't know what to do, any ideas?
  • uautoknowuautoknow Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up monroe air shocks for my Navigator
    was wondering if anyone knows how to disconnect and reconnect the air line
    going into the shock ? I have turned off the air suspension switch.
    Thank you .