Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• oscspoposcspop Member Posts: 4
    the humm you hear is your suspension air compressor running to adjust your trucks ride hieght and the thump in back is the diverter door that sends air to the roof ducts or to the floor for heat its sticking half way it just need to be adjusted
  • oscspoposcspop Member Posts: 4
    your truck has an air pump its located just behind the passenger side headlamp under the hood . It runs just after you start the car to adjust your ride hieght depending on the load or number of passengers you have its normal for it to run just after start up if its always running it means you have an air leak in the eyetem and the pump is trying to keep up. as for the thumping in back your truck has an air ducting system that will send air to the roof vents or to the floor for heat they tend to get stuck half way and require adjustments dont panic its not all bad
    consider converting to ciolspring suspension if you plan to keep it for a while the air ride in 03 was an engenieerind nightmare
  • redfish2001redfish2001 Member Posts: 1
    which side of my 2007 navigator engine is bank 2?
    Please advise
  • lookinforanavilookinforanavi Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    I am new to this board, I stumbled across it while on an internet search for Navigators. I am looking at quite a few between 1999 to 2005, just wondering if there are any particular problems that we should watch out for and if so what?
    Also there seems to be a ton of 03's on the market was that a bad yr?
    Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank-you:)
  • solidsolid Member Posts: 3
    Consumer reports suggests to stay away from 03-04 & 06. I have 99 w/139,000mi and just had my first major expense of $1,100 fuel pump, sensors, including labor.
  • xman2006mz5xman2006mz5 Member Posts: 16
    I have read about some real horror stories concerning Navigators on this forum. Please go through some of the posts. I still have my 01 with 108 kmiles. It won't start, but I will figure out the problem sooner or later. I will sell or trade it at that time. Even though I live in Chi-town and the Winters are brutal, I will not tolerate a vehicle with the design flaws that the Navigator has.
  • dolphinlover2dolphinlover2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 02 navigator it has been sitting for sometime and now all ready to put on the road and the windows won't work and it won't shift out of park... Prior to today it was fine... I took it last week to get it washed and when tried to drive it to put air in the tire I couldn't shift it out of park... Does anyone have a idea what could be wrong???? Please help...
  • xman2006mz5xman2006mz5 Member Posts: 16
    As you know, (from the many previous posts) this vehicle has a tendency to not like water around the wind shield area. There seems to be a problem with water leakage into the fuse box. I am assuming that you are depressing the brake while attempting to shift out of park. I would check the fuse (s) for the accessories first. There is a switch attached to the brake pedal that allows the shifter to move out of park, (safety feature), but I would not expect it to be faulty given your symptoms and recent truck washing activity.
  • dolphinlover2dolphinlover2 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much and I am having that checked this weekend... Keeping my fingers crossed that is the problem... My wallet is also wishing that is the problem.
  • pepe12pepe12 Member Posts: 1
    need to replace my front brakes on my lincoln nav, but i need to know what tool i need to remove the calipers, it looks like a allen wrench and had try a few but no luck, does anyone knows and where i might find this tool?
  • kwynn06kwynn06 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an 06 navigator and after a week the check engine light came on. I took the car to Advance Auto Parts and got a quick diagnostic test ran and it showed the catalyc converter and oxygen sensor on bank 2. i'm wondering would this be under the warranty that I have left on the vehicle and is this a common problem?
  • zekozeko Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2033 lincoln navigator and can't get the power lift gate to open with nothing ,I tryed the battery for 20 seconds and still can't get it to open is there any thing I can do to get to open ? Very skilled mechanically and electrically so any help would be great . Thanks.
  • 03_aviator03_aviator Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem as everyone else... 85K miles need to replace cylinder head. I am curious jlevin1, who did you talk to (dealership or Ford) and what sort of argument did you make. Did you find a fairly logical approach of I'm a good customer in good standing and would like to buy more lincoln/ ford products in the future or did you take more of a foot-stomping approach?
  • branthonybranthony Member Posts: 1
    i bought this from small dealership in feb. had brand new tires....within 1 month metal was showing on front tires...took it in, said was totally out of alignment...bought 2 new front tires..different brand from back...had it alligned and now 3 months later the front tires are almost bald again, mainly on right...had it alligned twice....why...they said air suspension was fine....
  • denhamdenham Member Posts: 76
    You were told it was totally out of alignment before it was aligned, and now 3 months later shows tire wear. I would go back so they can recheck the alignment and it maybe that it was so far out before they aligned that it may need a another or a fine tune.
    I take it that you have OE wheels and tires, if not this may well be your problem.
    I have been in the Tire and Alignment business now 38 years! and have saw it all.
    Dennis
  • 03gator03gator Member Posts: 1
    my battery was dead on my navi for about 2 weeks so i had to charge the battery, when i finally got the truck started my check suspension message was on, and my bags wouldnt air up, i checked the fuses that the owners manual said were tied to the air suspension, but they were all good. i also flipped the switch at the back of the truck a few times but nuthing happend, i also tried to drive it. im all out of ideas nothing was wrong with the air ride before so why would having a dead battery kill the suspension system. can someone please help me.
  • vmootilalvmootilal Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to let you I had the same problem with my shifter and I followed your instruction and it was to the T now my shifter is back to normal, thank you and great job with the instruction.
  • veritasrexveritasrex Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,
    I am having a problem with my Navy. It whines to high heavens at startup sometimes. I turn the ignition, and it gives off this whirr like metal running across cement. It may do it a time or two more, then it starts liek a champ.

I have replaced the starter 8 weeks ago. Also, changed the battery cables. The techs say my electrical system is fine...good battery, alternator and starter, and corresponding wiring.

What could it be? This does not sound good... Oh, by the way, I am at 200,250 miles. Changed out the trans at 195, and had some idler valve problems at 140 or so...other than that, has run like a champ.

Please help. :confuse:
  • xxechmanxxechman Member Posts: 1
    It sounds like a problem I had. Check out my post in the Navigator loud noise section.
  • ss454ls61970ss454ls61970 Member Posts: 1
    it's a 9mm allen wrench the only place I was able to find one was at a reasonable price is one set at Lowes just happens to have on you can buy it direct from ford but it's super expensive.
  • kjohnson3210kjohnson3210 Member Posts: 2
    passenger side in the little pane. have to get up under to be able to see it...
  • nonosnonos Member Posts: 6
    WELL I WAS HIT FROM BEHIND ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO, GEICO WENT OUT SAW MY BUMPER, I ALSO TOLD THEM MY CAR WAS MISFIRING EVER SINCE THE ACCIDENT, I TRIED AND TRIED, BUT THEY SAID WITHOUT PROOF THAT IT WAS CAUSED BY THE ACCIDENT THEY WOULD"NT DO ANYTHING. WELL I'M DRIVING DOING ABOUT 60MPH AND IT CUTS OFF ON ME ? I THOUGHT IT WAS THE STARTER, TOOK IT TO PEPBOYS AND A SECOND MECHANIC AND BOTH TOLD ME THE ENGINE WAS STUCK, I THOUGHT IT WAS OIL BUT NO, IT WAS LOW BUT NOT OUT OF OIL, THEN I WAS TOLD , I COULD HAVE DROPPED A VALVE, OR THERE COULD BE WATER IN THE PISTON? SHOULD I JUST TEAR THIS ONE APART OR BUY A USED ONE? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. TIMES ARE TIGHT AND I ONLY GOT ONE CRACK AT THIS.

THANKS AGAIN
    CARLOS WELL, WITHIN DAYS THEY CUT ME A CHECK
  • eaglewerkseaglewerks Member Posts: 5
    The 8th digit of the VIN:

Lincoln Navigator
    1998-2003
    5.4L VIN L : 5.4L Single Overhead Cam

1998-2003
    5.4L VIN A : 5.4L Double Overhead Cam

see also:

Romeo vs Windsor Engines

Hope this helps!
    I have a 1999 Navigator with a 5.4 liter /DOHC (vin A) engine. 200,000 miles.

Everything worked and the engine ran well until one cold day recently when the Service Engine Soon light lit. At the same time the engine developed a distinct hesitation/miss. I have had Coil Packs go out in my Ford Trucks and this felt like I had just lost a coil pack. No biggie no worries.

The car goes to a Lincoln Dealership. They diagnose two coil packs bad. re assemble and have the same warning and miss..they diagnose a third coil pack faulty. reassemble and still has the miss...they replace 2 more packs found faulty -- still misses. They replace 8 coil packs -- still misses. They then diagnose a faulty relay (don't tell me which one) and then a 2nd relay and finally a third one which was back-ordered for five days...now the engine has 8 new coil packs and three relays for God knows what and the engine has the same miss...so they diagnose further and tell me the computer has become faulty, and also by the way, the engine no longer will start...

Suggestions?
  • pstreetspstreets Member Posts: 1
    Love the message board. Great info! Here is my issue. Today, I needed a jump. Jumped My 03 Navigator from the BMW 745. There are not any signs on the posts of the car, so accidentally crossed the cables. The truck starts and runs fine but it will not raise, the adv track light is on saying "check" and my stereo system will not come on. I checked all of my fuses, they are all good. I checked the fusible link, its fine. Have not checked all the relays but since none of my fuses are blown, I am assuming the relays are OK! Oh, also my power steering is not power steering. Any suggestions?
  • hernan2hernan2 Member Posts: 1
    i need a maintenance to my navigator i host in scottdale 85253 i want to know where are the place nearest
  • chrislebchrisleb Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Navigator Ultimate limited and love it! It has about 111K miles on it and have had very few problems. I am having one ongoing problem which no one seems to be able to correctly identify. When initially starting my car, I hear a loud metallic "clunking" noise which sounds like its coming from the back. It also "clunks" which I first start driving up to about 20 miles an hour. It's not a continual clunk. It's just one, big, scary "CLUNK."
    Sounds terrible. Like my car is belching!
    Any suggestions on what it might be??? Hope its not my transmission!
  • bobbydibobbydi Member Posts: 1
    I,m no expert, but here's my experience with my 1999 Navigator. Over the years I have had coils fail and had them replaced to resolve rough running problem. That usually worked. However, at about 167,000 miles it didn't work and dealer said problem was engine needed a valve jib, but that couldn't be done due to aluminum heads. They recommened head replacement at $4K. I had another mechanic I trust check it and got same diagnosis. I checked cost of complete engine replacement with new short block and heads - $8K. I did that at Lincoln dealer because it gave me 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty and who knew if the other head would go bad. I hope this isn't your problem. Ford should be ashamed of putting and engine that unreliable in a $50K + vehicle. Makes it tought ot buy American and not feel like a fool.
    edited April 2011
    The referenced Navigator is now history...LOL I now own a "new" model year 2000 (built last day of July 2000) Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer with 170,000 miles. One owner, a noted surgeon, all options, smells and appears new inside and out. The good doctor had it serviced, oil and filters and safety checked, at the selling dealer every 90 days. He also was picky and at each service noted anything he wanted changed or replaced, like window switches or armrest switch plates which were looking worn, etc. The engine and transmission have never failed in this particular car. It looks, smells, run and drives like a new showroom car. Serial Number 1FMPU18L3YLC4XXXX . I am now a very happy camper!
  • mac905mac905 Member Posts: 1
    i have a lincoln navigator with 136,543 miles on it and just changed all 8 spark plugs and all 8 coils because had a valve cover gasket leak apon putting truck back toghter and taken it for test run engine started shake when idlen but uncontrolable at speeds past 50mph.
    so first i check the firen order which was all in order then next i checked all vaccum hoses for leaks all where good so for good measure i changed the the egr vaccum siloned but nothing changed still had rouph idle and could not go past 50 mph so for one last shot i checked the mass air sencer made sure there was power going to it and made sure there was not dirt or oil on it so i really can't figure this one out and help would be great
  • ender09ender09 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I was wondering if you ever solved the issue you had with your starter, my 2000 navi does the same thing occasionally.
  • ender09ender09 Member Posts: 2
    Hey all,
    I own a 2000 Navi with just over 170k on it. Chronically throughout that last 5 years of my owning the vehicle, I have noticed an odd grinding noise and vibration coming from what seems to be the front right tire while turning. The noise is infrequent but is definitely not normal. I've taken the vehicle into my local Ford dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong with the vehicle(largely due to the fact that the noise is infrequent), would anyone be able to offer some insight as to what this noise may be stemming from?
    Furthermore, I have one more issue that is again, infrequent. From time to time, my navi, when started, make a deafening whining noise and fail to start. When this occurs, I have to retry several times to get the car to start... this again has been looked into by the afore mentioned dealership with little resolve? has anyone had similar problems and would they please offer some insight?
  • 03gatorin201103gatorin2011 Member Posts: 2
    Can you still help me? My OD is facing rear, i have no tweeters, but i do have 3rd row buttons by B pillar. Do you know what series mine is? Ive had nothing but issues.
  • mjnavigatormjnavigator Member Posts: 1
    hi every body,
    I live in belgium and i have a big probleme.
    I have a 98' lincoln navigator ,his engine won't start.
    -battery is ok
    -starter is ok
    When i turn keys, starter go and engine make "klank" as if it blocked.
    can you help me please.

sorry for my english.
  • rjx1rjx1 Member Posts: 1
    i had a the same problem , apparently im findin out that its not an everyday drivable car , i guess for the first couple of years if its new and your lucky,,

"hummin"a - your suspension and steering wheel assembly " "40 $" might have to be changed , it gives that sound and then one day just locks the steering when it fails completely ,
    "thumping" rear ac compresser is faulty and also known to fail.
    hope this helped,
  • navigatorgoldnavigatorgold Member Posts: 1
    I own a 99 Lincoln Navigator, with 248,000 miles on it. It has been in two minor wrecks. I've never spent over 300 bucks on it for anything except brake jobs or tires! Just recently it started to run rough at idle. Above 55 mph the engine runs rough. Do the ignition coils or control modules needs testing?
  • bronconvictbronconvict Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2011
    read this sub forum for navigator no-start questions
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0c94a7/38
    start from post 18 onward.
    it is your fuseblock which needs replaced. there is a TSb from the Dealer but no recall. essentially I replaced it and problem has never occured again. there is a design issue with it and there is a replacement.
    here is the link to the info
    http://www.justanswer.com/view_image.aspx?href=/uploads/lamontgomery/2008-10-06_- 132722_1.png
  • beezogarciabeezogarcia Member Posts: 1
    I get a light ticking or clicking noise when I begin to accelerate that I can hear in the cab. The truck runs fine, and when I get up to my cruising speed, the ticking goes away. Any ideas or is this standard?
  • brucet1brucet1 Member Posts: 1
    ive got a 2003 navi it started cuttn back when on a load or going up a hill just recently the check engine light came on tried to take it to get light checked couldnt get power down to plug to check it maybe a fuse but anyome had problems such as cutting back in upgrades i luv the truck not the problems
  • babegyrlbabegyrl Member Posts: 2
    Hunk of junk. Both Windows driver and passenger broke. Driver side one day then Passenger the very next. Then the rear window wiper broke. The running boards have been repaired twice an now the passnger is now broken. and now just yesterday he rear air suspension is now broken.
    I WILL NEVER BUY A LINCOLN NAVIGATOR AGAIN.
  • babegyrlbabegyrl Member Posts: 2
    :mad: :sick: :cry: :mad:
  • bambam34bambam34 Member Posts: 1
    driver side under dashboard behind the fusebox it will have 5 large numbers on it and that is your code
  • grantslawgrantslaw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Lioncoln Navigator. The engine warning lamp now comes on but the driver handbook says that is an emission problem.. This is an ex-California car. What kind of emisssions problems can I be having. Only thing I notice is that on start-up there is a bit of a hiccup.
  • dareeber55dareeber55 Member Posts: 2
    Hey all,
    Which brand(s) do you guys recommend for upper and lower ball joints? Brake pads? I just bought a salvaged Navigator and the suspension and brake system is completely shot amongst other issues. Any help would be great especially about the ball joints because I see that the suspension is a major issue with the Navigator.
  • dareeber55dareeber55 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, forgot to mention. It's a 2004 Navigator
  • siinsiin Member Posts: 1
    Hello I also have a similar problem with my 2006 Lincoln navigator. When its on the road about 45 mph it hesitates and shakes a little and check engine light turns on. From what I have read, lots of people are having the same issue. Many have also said to change spark plugs and coils. What do you think?
  • denhamdenham Member Posts: 76
    If you have a lot of miles you exhaust converter maybe your problem and I would have a engine scan before spending money on plugs,etc.
    Dennis
  • anneb1anneb1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 Navigator with 35K miles has stalled twice during or right after prolonged idling in the hot sun with the AC running. It has been in the shop at the dealership for 5 days. They have replicated the problem, but the computer is not showing an error message, so they do not know what to do... Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Thank you!
  • yontsnathanielyontsnathaniel Member Posts: 1
    I am having trouble locating this piece under the car. other post say under the spare tire but nada, looked all over driver side, no luck.

Dorman 590-001
  • hopeihelpeduhopeihelpedu Member Posts: 1
    start the navi in neutral it works maybe a weird problem with the ignition switch that needs to be looked at or someone on this site finding another way to fix this issue a lot of mechanical wizards lurking under the hoods of
    of our world keep checking..here.. we are all long, and short term test marketers of all products as consumers....
    hope i helped u..