Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• alltallalltall Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 TC and I can't take another $ blood bath having the dealer maintain it. I need a great and reasonable TC mechanic near Clark and Foster (5200 N.)in Chicago. Anybody, any help?
  • vern1964vern1964 Member Posts: 9
    yes i solved it. it was the cruise control deactivater switch, it also controls the shift lever and brake lights. the part is on recall from ford now.
  • adjusteradjuster Member Posts: 22
    Tell us more about the recall. I had this very same problem and fixed it myself. No one told be about any recall. :confuse: :lemon:
  • izaclown1izaclown1 Member Posts: 118
    There was a letter sent out to Ford/Mercury owners back either last summer or fall. There were a bunch of models recalled. The trucks, Econoline, the TC and the related models from some time in the 90's through 2000 some on certain models and 2000+ on others. I think the TC was to 2000. My 2002 TC was not mentioned in the letter.
    Copy of letter/announcement i found on a news server :

Ford recalls vehicles a second time

Automaker to notify dealers, customers

Bernadine Williams
    and Harry Stoffer
    Automotive News
    January 31, 2008 - 1:20 pm ET
    UPDATED: 1/31/08 4:19 p.m. EST

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. began notifying Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealers
    this week of a safety recall covering about 225,000 vehicles that were
    previously recalled for improper wire harnesses.

"The action we are taking does deal with a new issue related to a previous
    recall," said Ford spokeswoman Jennifer Moore.

The newly recalled vehicles are among 10.4 million cars and trucks Ford
    previously had recalled in stages since 1999 because a cruise control switch
    was found to pose a fire hazard -- even when vehicles were parked and turned
    off.

In some cases, homes were destroyed when vehicles burned in attached
    garages.

The original repair involved installation of a wiring harness around the
    cruise control switch.

Ford found that the harness did not function properly in this subset of
    225,000 vehicles, now being recalled a second time, company spokesmen told
    Automotive News.

Ford plans to notify the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that
    wiring harnesses installed on eight models built in years varying between
    1992 and 2003 are not compatible with the current circuit polarity.

The harnesses have an improperly placed fuse. The placement does not offer
    enough protection if there is an electrical short circuit, according to the
    dealer alert.

In a letter sent Tuesday, Jan. 29, to dealers, Ford said it does not intend
    to notify owners of the recall until NHTSA has been informed and dealers
    receive service repair information.

" All customers have an available interim action that eliminates any risk if
    the part is not available for their vehicle," Moore said in a statement.
    Ford expects to begin owner notification by mid-February.

Dealers can expect to receive the service bulletin next week.

These models make up the list of vehicles to be recalled by Ford:

-- 1992-2003 Econoline*
    -- 1992-98 Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis
    -- 1993 Bronco
    -- 1995-97 F-series stripped chassis*
    -- 1993-95 Taurus SHO
    -- 1992-95 Town Car
    -- 1993 F series*
    *Indicates gasoline engines only
    from what i heard on tv the replacement part for the recall is causing the same problem,so i am just leaving my cruise control disconnected for now.
    I am waiting also. It is a pain to dive w/o cruise, but better than having a fire.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    I have a fire extingwisher and the CC is still connected.
  • jtiercejtierce Member Posts: 1
    Idle problem --- with my 2001 lincoln town car. Once the engine reachs normal temperature, the RPMs drop to 570 RPM when shifted to drive or reverse with or without the air conditioning running. This causes the engine to idle rough and slightly shake. In Park it runs very smoothly.

In Park the Rpm is 800 with or without the air conditioning on. I know there is a circuit that feeds to the PCM that maintains the RPM close to the 800 level for all the above conditions.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated along with any schematics, parts locations, and information related to this circuit.

Thanks,

J Tierce
  • stinkinlicolnstinkinlicoln Member Posts: 4
    tyvm, i was worried that maybe it was going out, or that it might even be the fuel pump. im also hearing a high pitched humm, and im think9ing it might be the belts cuz it usually only does it when you step on the accelerator, could you maybe confirm this
    try to contact your local dealer, they should be able to give you a default code or something so that you may reset it
    well the hum is more inconsistant than when i step on the gas, sometimes it just hums in idle it seems louder when i step on the gas though. and sometimes it doesnt do it at all, but i just checked the belt and it looks fairly new, not worn or anything, maybe the pulls need to be greased, the car did sit for about 8 months waiting for someone to buy it. If anyone has any input that would be great
    Hi guys, i just recently purchased a 96 TC signature, car has 85000 miles runs great, the only problem i am haveing is when i turn the key on i can hear a vibrating noise from soem where under the car, i cant pin point it but after about 30 secs it usually stops. I then crank the car and i usually do not hear the noise again, but today it started doing it when i was driving it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

OMFG the car has been sitting under the car port for about 45 mins and i just heard it doing it again, no key in it and all locked up. WTF is going on
  • united747united747 Member Posts: 2
    Your 1996 TC is fine The noise you hear is the air pump that cycles on when you start the car to level out the rear air shocks. The pump remains active for up to approx 1 hr after the ignition is turned off to level the car.
  • united747united747 Member Posts: 2
    Is there any way I can retrieve the factory codes for my keypad?

I checked for the codes on the trunk and door jamb and the pass side computer box.
    The previous owner must have removed all the hidden tags. Any suggestions ?
  • smunziesmunzie Member Posts: 6
    I posted a message a couple of months ago..anyone have any ideas on the below? Thanks for any assistance!!

I have a 1990 Town Car and the overdrive is completely gone. When it tries to shift into overdrive its like you shifted into neutral by mistake. I am getting ready to take it into a trans shop and wanted some input. Rebuild? Easy fix? Any ideas?
  • papaapapaa Member Posts: 20
    I had A similar problem some time ago. I was afraid the transmission was shot. The local transmission repair shop said the problem was A sensor that needed to be replaced. The cost was about $250.00. They did the work and I have not had any recurring problems so far. You need to seek out A reputible business. The dealers are outrageous in their pricing. Good Luck
  • roychroych Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 Lincoln Towncar and recently after a rain storm, we noticed the passenger side floor mats (front and rear) were soaking wet. I took it to the dealer and he said something about the drain near the windshield wiper being stopped up with leaves and straw/. He cleaned it out , but it is still doing the same thing after even just a shower. Any suggestions? Are there any filters or something that may be clogged. It is not coming in around the windows or doors and appears to be coming from underneath...
    i dont understand how ford can keep sending out recall letters when the parts for the repairs are not even available yet ,4 months later im still waiting. I called the dealer today still no new harnesses yet what gives?
  • michael71michael71 Member Posts: 1
    Had the same problem with a 99 towncar. cleaned the drain and had the same problem. Went to the dealer and the gasket was broken on the stuff that connects to the firewall inside the engine compartment. $600 later, no leaks. Best part of story is I asked to see the old part and the gasket was clearly not installed correctly. Warranty gone so I was out of luck. I could have been making carpayments with what I've spent on this car in the last few years. Alternator, brakes, seatbelt,turn signals,windows won't work, headlights full of water,doors full of water,wipers broke, cracked windshield, ignition problems, on and on and on..I will never buy another American car--ever...
  • eatsnopasteeatsnopaste Member Posts: 1
    I just stopped in my local Ford dealer the other day to see when they would have the part...they said pull it in and about an hour later it was fixed....just lucky i guess.
    How many miles do you have? I have had 2 TC's and I have experienced nothing close to what you have had. Both (2000 and 2002) had to have climate control and mass air flow sensor replaced and the same mileage. Maybe the correct the problems after 99.
  • trentftrentf Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1985 ltc and when i push the gas pedal, sometimes it bogs up and sometimes even shuts off. just today at the gas station, when i tried to turn it back on (after it shut off) it wouldn't start for about 2 minutes. this may be very vague, but any suggestions would be appreciated. it mostly shuts of while idleing but sometimes when i take a turn too. ususally runs fine in park. the engine is not shot. it only has 75000 miles on it.
  • chrispugs1967chrispugs1967 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post I hope i can get some help. I need to remove the center overhead console on my 2004 town car, the garage door button was pushed to hard and has fallin inside. I tried everything and cant seem to get it off. Maybe i'm being a little to gentle,IDK. Any information is helpfull. Thanks.
  • armywife818armywife818 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 95 TC Sig. My parents bought new and took very good care of it, all maintenance and repairs done on time. Still looks new. approx. 175,000. When starting car for the day whether it is warmed up or not, when pulling out into rd from drive it always bogs down and hesitates sometimes even shuts off. Also some mornings it will just die going down drive. When it shuts off if you turn off switch and turn back on it will immediately crank back up with NO hesitation. Until TC warms up probably 10 miles or so it will jerk and hesitate like it is not getting any gas. When at a light sometimes it will shut off and same as before it will start right back up. Another thing sometimes if you are going down hwy it will just lose power and you will feel the car start to slow even if you push gas it will not respond but has not died yet. Eventually it does. Engine light is on and keeps throwing a EGR code all EGR parts have been replaced. New computer put in. Fuel filters, distributor, a number of things have been done. 4 different Ford dealer have had the car no one can find anything wrong. My parents drove it to CA last summer and had awful experience with it worst than ever. And they have went everywhere in this car. Wanted to get 200,00 out of it. My husband is a mechanic so we thought we would like it. Gave them 700 and started replacing things. So far nothing has worked, BUT GET THIS very reliable car. Every other weekend we drive about 600-800 miles and it always get us there. Sometimes it will not even miss at all. All the jerking is getting annoying and eventually I know it will shut down. Has anyone got any ideas. Something is being overlooked.

Thank you Beth
  • neauxbunnyneauxbunny Member Posts: 13
    I hate the car. Heater core (which had been replaced ONCE at a dealership) gave it up again (Feb) while hubby was driving. Hubby had suffered a heart attack in Sept and then, when the fumes spewed out in January, it cause severe pulmonary edema which triggered congestive heart failure (ICU, 3 days hospitalization).

So....my problem: I absolutely hate the car. I can still smell that noxious odor every time I get into it. Is there ANYthing that can be done to flush this out of the car/system?

This has truly become a point of contention in our marriage. Silly? Maybe, but I cannot get past how close I came to losing him over this car.

Thanks in advance. :mad:
    What code does the OBD give? Guessing your engine is compatible with OBD II.

Is the Mass Air Sensor original?
  • justinsjavajustinsjava Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Lincoln Town Car. A couple of weeks ago, my car started running terrible. A friend suggested I change my fuel filter. I got the filter and before I put it on, the check engine light came on. Ok, I change the filter and hook up the diagnostic machine and it gives me the error "misfire on cylinder 5". I reset the codes so that it will take away the check engine light. The car runs great for about 1 or 2 days until the check engine light comes on again. I hook it back up to the diagnostic machine and it gives me the same code "engine misfire on cylinder 5". My cousin suggest I replace the coil for number 5 which is on the drivers side. After replacing the coil, the car still runs the same. I think I will try the spark plug or plug wire next, but I have heard that there is a special way to take the spark plugs out of this kind of engine. Is there a certain procedure to change the plugs (get the engine hot first) and do you think that this could be the problem or is there another suggestion???
    Actually the TC is a '94 exec. with a 4.6L V-8. M A S has been replaced,EGR tube cleaned,all new sensors for EGR system. Have checked all fuel system components.
    Have thought that maybe catalytic converters are stopping up. Any ideas?
    Has the EGR Pressure feedback sensor been replaced yet? $110 item.
  • lvwilsonlvwilson Member Posts: 1
    Hi, never been here before, but I am hoping someone can answer a question about our Lincoln. We had a clunking noise in the rear of the car and couldn't figure out what it was. Took it to the shop and found out it was the rear sway bar that was all rusted out and actually breaking off. The mechanic told us that he could just cut them out because they were just a luxury item, but we didn't really need them.
    I was a little surprised, I always thought that they don't put parts in a car for no reason.
    So, I would appreciate if someone knows anything about these in the lincoln, i would love to know if it is true the car can roll on any corner
    and if they should have removed and replaced them. I can't even drive the car now thinking how unsafe it might be.
    If anyone out there has any info on this it would be greatly appreciated..
    Thank you so much.
  • brianthompbrianthomp Member Posts: 1
    98 lincoln towncar - while driving, approx once every minute or so it sounds and feels as if I have run over a set of groves in the road like the ones used at the side of the interstate to warn of running off the road. My tires are new, and thought maybe the pump that handles leveling the car or filling the shocks (?) might have been affected. Do you have any idea what my issue is?
    Yes EGR Pressure feedback sensor has been changed. My husband said it sounded like maybe it could be the injectors. IS there a way to test these? Because we have been eliminating thing by just purchasing new ones. That is getting very expensive. Plus the car just rolled over 190000 miles. It is truly a great car. I just dont see how it can still run with all the jerking during driving. Sometimes you can hit the overdrive button and it will quit for a minute but then start right back up again. The car has been taking on many long trips for this to be a major thing. Everyone is overlooking something. And now my other vehicle is down. I need some brain storming going on. I say a lady the other day at the grocery she also had a lincoln it was 96 mine is a 94 she had 280000 miles on her and has had it for about 4 years . Why cant mine run that way. It is hard to explain exactly what the vehicle is doing. But it sure does run like it is goin straight to junk yard. :sick:
    If you think it is truly the air bag on the rear, then just have them removed and put springs on it. They will have to be done professional because of welding. YOu can tell if you get under rear and listen for a leak. Maybe start the car first and listen for the pump to fill the bags and then take a look. Thats how we found our leaks. Air bags were like 300 apiece. so we opted for spring. Found a local mechanic said he has done several. He charged 150 total. Then you never have to worry about a leak in them again. IF that is what you problem is, hope it helped a little.
    Check the coils, especially the ones on the back of the engine, #4 & #8. There is a tendency to get water into the hole around the spark plugs. Look for signs of rust on the plug and coil rubber. This causes misfire which upsets the computer and makes the car jerk and stutter and can even blow out the transmission. Sometimes the temperature will drop off too when this happens, strange as that sounds! Turning the key off and on, pushing the overdrive button etc. will clear the computer for a few minutes and make the symptoms go away for a bit. Let me know. The dealer won't admit that there is a problem with the Ford V8 but he'll know what to do to fix it as this is a common problem.
  • fukaafukaa Member Posts: 3
    is it easy to change a smog pump? and is there a website that is free that shows how to do it?it's a 1990 lincoln town car5.0 engine
    1990 lincoln towncar, gas peddle vibrates sometimes while accelerating ,is this a costly problem,how can it be fixed?
    i know my smog pump is going bad ,if i chaneg it will it improve the performance of the vehicle ,it hesitates at times and has a vibration in the gas peddle?
  • harryw32harryw32 Member Posts: 4
    I need instructions for reprograming a remote from another car.
  • kpenakpena Member Posts: 3
    hello everybody names Ken,
    Wondering if anyone can help? I changed out my spark plugs not too long ago and found that they were pretty much soaked with oil. I got a couple of manuals like hayes but I can't find any answers.
    Would that be a head gasket leaking? There was a time Ford had a problem with them prematurely cracked and stated leaking, if I remember correctly.
    Without knowing how many miles are on the car, how many miles are on the plugs, or anything else - try a plug with a hotter heat range. If you have a "Cold" plug, switch to a "Warm" or "Hot" plug. I suspect you have high miles on the car and the piston rings are worn so much, the oil is getting up past them into the combustion area and "fouling" the plugs. A hotter plug will help to burn that oil off.
    It's a 94 TC with just over 107,000 miles. brand new plugs were just installed.
    I'm not sure your new plugs are "Oil fouled". Discern for sure what the liquid is. If not oil, then perhaps a head gasket is in order.

Do you ever see Steam coming out the exhaust? Especially after the engine is warmed up?
    No....I haven't seen any steam or any other form of smoke come out of the exhaust. I did have some hesitation one day while accelerating at a light.

But i'm gonna have it checked out for the head gasket. Your guys is help is very much appreciated.
  • gdt001gdt001 Member Posts: 10
    I had this same problem on my 97 town car. The first time I took it to the dealer they went into the computer using the buttons on the dash. This worked for about a week and then it was the same thing, the A/C was working (cold pipes under the hood) but nothing but hot air from the vents. This time they changed an actuator for one of the doors and it has been fine ever since. If I remember correctly, they had to remove quite a lot from the instrument panel to get to that actuator, not a job I would like to get involved in.
  • peachpie56peachpie56 Member Posts: 6
    I've got a 93 TC Signature Series that with careful driving, not exceeding the speed limit, no jack rabbit starts, very light foot on the pedal and coasting downhill in the right hand lane always so you lead footers can pass, gets about 26+ mpg combined city/hwy. On the hwy at 55mph it's higher of course. Not bragging. Just curious.

BTW Google hypermiling. It shows you how to get better gas mileage on any vehicle. It's a non commercial site mainly talks about hybrids getting 70+
    mpg using these techniques and ones you can only use on hybrids. It's been talked about on the major news networks. (Chicago to New York run on onlyone tank of gas in a Prius recently with gas left over.)

Have a great day everyone! :)
  • gdt001gdt001 Member Posts: 10
    On my 97 TC I get around 22 MPG on the highway. That is cruising around 73MPH with the air on. In the city it is probably only around 18.
  • mark4biodieselmark4biodiesel Member Posts: 22
    kpena, after the engine is cool, take a good flashlight and remove the rad cap. Start the engine and look at the fluid level in the rad. What you will notice if a head gasket is blown, is bubbles coming to the surface when looking at the top of the coolant fluid. You need to let it run for at least 5 minutes with the cap off so that is can get close to normal operating temperature. The thermostat must be open to see the bubbles coming out, so hotter is better when looking for the bubbles.
    Another test is to go to the corner gas station and have them put the pressure tester on the place where the cap fits. This will confirm if there is a pressure leak anywhere in the coolant system.
    Rocker cover gaskets are cheap compared to fixing other problems. In regards to the tips of the plugs, if there was no oil on the spark tip, then it is not an internal engine problem. Many times the body of the plug is covered with oil or fluid but not the tip. That is good news. If that is your case, your are lucky. Just do the RC gaskets and also grab hold of the wires when the engine is running. If you can feel an excessive amount of juice going through the wires, then replace them. With the ocst of gasoline these days, also replace the air filter even when it is not too dark, just gray. It's your money and most air filters in the summer won't last 4,000 miles before they become restrictive. It depends on the dust and dirt on the roads where you drive. The discount auto parts stores have good deals on name brand air filters, so when they are on sale, buyt 2 of them.
    Stop using normal oil and go with a heavier grade of full synthetic. Any brand will do except castrol which is not a true synthetic. castrol is made from hydrocarbon crude oil while the others, Penzoil, Quaker State, Mobil One and Valvoline full synthetics are made froma chemical. and therefore work much better under very high temps of bvery cold temps. To help chemically clean the inside of any engine, add 1 or 2 quarts of full 100% synthetic oil and run it for about 2,500 to 3,500 miles, then dump it out and run all synthetic engine oil. Always use a heaveir grade in the summer of if you have more than 60 k on the engine. Try a 10w30 or if you have very high miles or pull a trailer, run 15w40 or 15w50 full synthietic. It is cheaper to use a full synthetic than normal crude based oil becasue it is so slippery, it saves on fuel making it less expensive in the long run. For the summer add 2 pounds to the tires for better handling and better mileage.
    I have a 2000 TC with over 95,000 miles. I drive carefully and easily. I have a full trunk of tools so I'm caring a lot of weight. I get 19+ MPG city driving and 29 - 30 MPG on the freeway at 55. At 70 the highway mileage drops down 3-4 MPG so I try to stay below 70 even when it is allowed. I get better mileage than does my wife in her Taurus. But then I'm a lot more careful in how I drive.