Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• sgh747400sgh747400 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 93 TC the trunk motor just started to not go up all the way to catch the trunk lid. I cleaned the butterfly switch and it works fine. You may need to replace the motor assembly to save yourself headaches. Dealer or junkyard may have them easy to do.
  • TC_OwnerTC_Owner Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with finding out the rearl caliper bolt size on my 1995 TC. It looks like a Allen wrench buth the stand sizes do not fit.....is there a special size needed to remove the bolts......thanks for any assistance.
  • caddellscaddells Member Posts: 5
    Where is and how do you replace nthe BOO (brake on/off) switch?
  • vern1964vern1964 Member Posts: 9
    it is located on the brake pedal about half way up. unplug the old one and remove should be held by a small clip. then plug in your new one and secure. easy fix.
  • Bill288Bill288 Member Posts: 1
    Headlights on high beam will flash off and on after about 10 minutes of driving. Spent over $400 trying to locate problem. Clicking noise (like relay) in center of dash. Replaced dimmer switch and light switch. Any ideas ?? Wiring diagram would be helpful.

THANK YOU
    I have a 93 TC I invested in the repair manual CD that I ordered from someone in Florida. Sorry I don't have the contact info- it was yrs ago - very helpfull has every thing on it. Check Yahoo for repair manuals on cd for your yr.
    It was suggest to me by an ACE tech. to leave this device off if unplugging it fixed the problem of locked in park and no brake lights. Any comment?
  • adjusteradjuster Member Posts: 22
    I had the same problem. It was the wires burned on the brake switch which is mounted on the brake pedal arm under the dash. I cut off the factory plug, installed normal spade lugs on - above the burned wires - put the wires back on the switch and fixed the problem myself. There is a factory recall for this problem if you want to face the dealer and the problems that creates.

If you need to drive the car you can step on the brake, pull down on the shift lever while turning the key to start. If you do all this at the same time, pulling the shift lever into the neutral position it will come out of park and the engine will start and you can drive the car to a repair shop.
  • adjusteradjuster Member Posts: 22
    There is a curcit breaker on the headlights that self resets. It's in the fuse box under the hood. Your owners manual should list which one it is. It is usually a large black box sort of like a bigger than normal oversize fuse that just plugs in. Sometimes they are square and look like a relay. It most likley has gone bad and is flipping off from heat when the lights are on for 10 minutes. Get a new one, or another one from a wrecking yard. Easy fix ... usually.
  • mike31719mike31719 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 town car with a vinyl roof that covers the top up to the rear of the front doors. The top is fading and beginning to deteriate from the sun. I live in South Georgia and do not have a garage to keep the car in so it gets a lot of sun. I would like to replace the top with a full canvas carriage top. I can't find anyone in my area that knows where to get this done. Does anyone ave any suggestions?
    JC Whitney mail order auto supply has vinyl roof restorers if it is not cracking apart yet. They have a whole range of colors. I used it yrs ago on an Eldorado with a 1/4 vinyl white roof and it worked great. Any Auto collision dealer should be able to replace it for you or a FORD dealer but it will cost an arm and 2 legs..
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    When I used Westly's White Sidewall Cleaner on my White vinyl roof, it made it look like new. Then, I followed up with a vinyl roof protection product - once a month as that car sat out in all kinds of weather.
  • fmc3fmc3 Member Posts: 1
    My car won't start on certain occassions. I checked the fuel fuse injector and everything in between. I had it towed to a shop and the car started right up when it got there. has anyone had this problem?? They say it maybe a safety switch that stops it from starting. Please help; :(
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    My 2005 Town Car is about to run out of its' original warranty. My question is should I buy an extended warranty from Ford or go to an after market company
    such as Wynns or Zurich. I have had Wynns in the past but am currently doing my service at the local Ford dealership. I have used Wynns in the past with good results. I'm sure other owners have dealt with this issue and would appreciate ideas and suggestions as to what would be a good choice or choices to resolve this decision. All comments and suggestions appreciated.
  • bigshaunbigshaun Member Posts: 1
    I had my battery change in my lincoln town car but my battery light still comes on along with my check engine light could somebody give me an answer why this is happening tired of the towncar blues :(
    I'd bet on needing an alternator.

Have your mechanic plug in his OBD II & really see what the problem is.
  • jayg2jayg2 Member Posts: 10
    Purchased type F transmission fluid for a 1988 TownCar dipstick for transmission and owners manual call for mercon. Can I use type F. Are they interchangeable?
    Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F is a high performance lubricating fluid for pre-1977 (and some 1977 to 1981) automatic transmissions built by ...

Use what the OM dictates: Mercon.
  • kevinekevine Member Posts: 10
    Hello all,
    Would anyone know why the compressor/pump would release air from the suspension. It seems to be doing this on a frequent basis. I can actually see the nose lower about 1/2 inch or so when I am stopped at a red light. I am worried about buring out the compressor.
    Thanks in advance.
    there is an adjustment for the heigth of the rear shocks that is done by the dealer.

If you were stopped on an incline at the Red light, the sensor could have been tricked to think the rear end should be raised accordingly so as to make the car level.
  • elkikorette333elkikorette333 Member Posts: 3
    Well this is my problem with the car. A weekend ago, my towncar for some strange reason did not start. and 7 days later, it still will not start. We have purchased change the batterie and coils and even did a complete tune-up. But still will not work. Someone told us it could be the "crank sensor" but wedo not know where to locate it. Please does anyone anything about it or having the similiar problem.
  • cardsnappercardsnapper Member Posts: 7
    2003 Lincoln Town Car- Will not start. No clicking, whirring, or anything else. Totally dead. Replaced battery, starter, ignition switch, park/neutral safety switch, fuses (even though they looked good), starter relay, you name it! If it's in the starting system, it's new, except the wiring. The car still won't start, nothing, totally dead. I am hearing that there is a fusible link somewhere near the starter. Is this something you can just pick up and replace? What else could possibly be wrong with this car??? Any help is appreciated! :confuse:
  • ppppearlppppearl Member Posts: 1
    Mom's car has the same problem. Dealer told her nothing. Was this ever resolved? I am trying to find a mechanicak answer to show dealer.Thank you.
  • cardsnappercardsnapper Member Posts: 7
    No resolve yet, Dealer has said they can't fix it because they don't know where the problem is. It is currently in another shop (been there for 3 weeks!) They say it is a shorted wire, so they are basically taking the wiring harness apart looking for it wire by wire. Just tells me that the dealer flat out didn't want to mess with it!
    Well, my husband finally got the TC working by changing the electric coils. As soon that he put them it started running. But, once again the problem is back. The car will start but another day it won't, So we go out with our fingers crossed it will start. Please does anyone know what's going on with these cars. :)
  • 97_twncar_ownr97_twncar_ownr Member Posts: 1
    Whats goin on, I have a 97 towncar with 48,000k mi that i Just purchased yesterday morning. I was driving the car to work this morning in rush hour traffic and noticed that the car just shut off, however I was able to start it right up with no problem. It wasnt overheating but the car did sit for about a year, (it was intermittenly driven so it wouldnt sit and rot),it did have a half of tank of gas but im not sure how long its been in there, probably around a year, It also has a fairly new battery in it. I was thinking it might be the MAS from reading other posts but im not sure. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
  • egbdf2egbdf2 Member Posts: 1
    HI, I have 1984 Lincoln TownCar and the oil light keep flickering, had the oil changed professionally and it still flickers, what could it be? Thanks.
    When any vehicle has sat for long periods with 'old' gas in the tank, there is the high possibility of condensation forming which leads to H2O in the tank as well as gas. 'StaBil' is a product used by mariners for dealing with this situation in their boats. 'Heet' is a product used by drivers in frigid areas to make the H2O miscible with gas. These two products are readily available in auto part stores.

Use as directed with the remaining fuel that is in the tank.

There is an electric fuel pump in the sump of the gas tank. If you drain the tank, don't let Air get to the pump for the seals will be damaged.
    A good shop can replace the engine oil pump in one afternoon. While in there, you might also want to check the other moving parts for wear.
    My1992 town car air suspension is very bad. (leaking) Suggested by several town car owners to switch to regular strut/spring suspension. Any pro or con comments?
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    I want to replace the door hinges on a 1996 Lincoln Town Car. In addition to the four bolts that hold the hinges, there is a non headed bolt that has a nut on the inside of the car. Does anyone know how to get to nuts that appear to be inside the car?
    I would not switch to coil springs. I have replaced several sets of air springs, solenoids at the air springs, compressors, and the leveling adjusters on 1990 through 1997 Town Cars. If you can change the transmission fluid, you can probably change the springs, if they are the problem.
  • hugo7hugo7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 TC that has around 90,000 mi on it. The problem i'm having is when you start the car it has a howling noise and when you give it gas it goes away but will keep coming back after a few seconds. Its also doing it while i'm driving, I give it gas and again it stops but will do it again in a few seconds. This would not bother me except that its real loud and embarasing sitting at a light.I was told at a gas station that its the smog pump is this true and is it something I can fix myself ?
    thanks
    The car does not have a smog pump. The howl may be coming from one of the fans. The car has an electric fan and a clutch driven fan. Have you tried to find the howl with the hood up and the engine running? With the hood up and the engine running, you should be able to duplicate the noise by increasing the engine speed with the accelerator cable.
    Our '94 will sometimes sound like a ship's fog horn, especially on a cold startup.

This happened 6 years ago and the Lincoln tech said it was the Idle air bypass valve resonating.

After the engine warms up, it goes away so I live with it. :)
  • hdehde Member Posts: 9
    I have a tc with 145k on it and suddenly had no electrical whatsoever, tried new battery, no good. any suggestions
  • hdehde Member Posts: 9
    had bad battery terminal cable, replaced and works fine now :blush:
    Not often a battery cable is terminal! ;)
  • rwdfanrwdfan Member Posts: 15
    Hey folks, as you know I purchased a '03 LTC about a week ago and so far so good with the car....it has now 76,800 miles. I went through the factory maintenance books and it was not clear for me the required mileage for the following oil changes: transmission and rear differential ? Is it 100K miles ? Should I do it ASAP ? Mercur V is the recommended oil for the transmission, do you agree ? Thanks. Any other fluid that I'm forgetting ? :confuse:
    Re: Transmission - Visual inspection and sniff test of the oil on the dipstick would be at least my task. If the car "shudders" while accelerating mildly, change it.

Re: Rear axle - Visual inspection and sniff test of the oil on your little finger after you remove it from the filler hole.

Determine who serviced the car in the past and inquire of them what was done.

If unknown,& at that mileage, I would change all fluids including the engine coolant.
    What price - peace of mind? While on the hoist, should tires be rotated as well?
  • tcsamueltcsamuel Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I had the same thing happen to my 2004 TC just this week - did you get any help on this? Do you have a sun roof?
    Sam
    In retrieving small objects, I've had success in using the shop vacuum to suck them out of the area. You may have to pack a rag around the nozzle for a tight seal, but the object will be out of there & you can retrieve it from the cannister.
  • tazataza Member Posts: 2
    I have 2005 town car with 53000 miles, having problem with catlic convertor. can it be replaced under manufacturer warranty thru a dealer?
    If you purchased the Extended Service Plan,the converter may be covered. Based on the age and mileage of the car, more than likely, it is not covered. Why do you believe that the converter is not functioning properly?
  • tazataza Member Posts: 2
    I have no extended Service Plan. A weired noise coming from underneath the car, have checked exhausts and they are secured and with the voice, like GRRRRRRRR, I suspect that something might be broken in catlic converter.
  • gseterrygseterry Member Posts: 13
    Went down the filler neck with a 30" Bore-A-Scope and cant find anything blocking the way. Filler neck pipe is straight and no kinks or damage. Gas tank vent tube to top of filler pipe, just behind the safety trap door, also clear - open - no kinks or damage.
    Note for the car to take gas at the above mentioned TRICKLE, you have to put the gas nozzle in from the 2 to 3 o'clock position. Installed it normally (6 o'clock) and you can't even get a couple seconds of TRICKLE flow in there.
    Desperate for answers......
    Terry
  • rwdfanrwdfan Member Posts: 15
    Just want to confirm. I'm taking care of my "new to me" 2003 LTC and changing fluids and filters at this time. It came to my attention that the Town Cars are not equipped with cabin air filter. Do you concur with this information ?

Also, engine air filter, any experience with K&N for the Town Car ? Is it worth it ? Thanks. :confuse:
  • gseterrygseterry Member Posts: 13
    My 99 Cartier LTC is supposed to have one (though I have not attempted to change it) so I would believe yours would too.
    K&N air filter? Yes I have one now and in concert with the complete change over to Bosch Platinum Plus 4 plugs, after I had all my COP's checked and #5 and #7 replaced, I can now brag with pride that my through Motown, mostly E/way, ride to work (69 miles round trip) 5 days a week, nets me an average of 26.4 mpg.
    A note here on a few posts I have seen regarding Auto Trans shifting problems, MY actual culprit was these 2 COP coils.
    Without any other change except these 2 defective coils my erractic trans shifting issue/complaint went away.
    My best MPG average for the same trip, on the same roads, at about the same time every day had me at 24.4 MPG.
    Again the very economical upgrade to the Bosch plugs, 2 new COP coils and the K&N filter has me very satisfied. I have had this completed now for over 6 months.
    NOTE to all COP equipped Ford owners: After checking all my coils out and finding-replacing the bad 2, I used Brake Clean to clean off the remaining 6 (by the "D" date code, originals from '99) coils. When they were all dry I sprayed/soaked the tops (where the epoxy seal is poured on the finished coil) of all 8 heavily with Permatex High-Tack, RED, Spray A Gasket, sealer. I allowed this to set-up almost dry for an hour then reinstalled them. The issue here is that over time and over a couple thousand cold to hot to cold cycles this epoxy in the factory coils will shrink and seperate from the outer housing and allow moisture in to ruin the coil.
    This Permatex Sealant will remain fairly soft, skinned over, and flow when hot into any seperation to help keep them sealed for longer life.
    Terry
  • axiomowneraxiomowner Member Posts: 76
    I was confused about this myself. I have an 05 LTC with 63K miles. I changed the tranny fluid at about 35K miles at the dealer. (They never mentioned it was not needed at 30K). I just returned from a quick lube place and they stated tranny is 100K miles and rear axle is 150K.

I have seen literature, sent to me by lincoln, that says 100K for tranny. I 've also seen where lincoln.com, and edmunds, say 30K for tranny. I'm not sure what it really is.

For me, I checked the tranny fluid today and it is pink. I'm not changing it. I'm going to wait on the rear axle too.