Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Smart Shopper - Suggest a topic of discussion

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, Joel.

My first reaction is that the delivery time would vary greatly from place to place and model to model and should be known at the time of placing your order. As such, I think it makes sense to pose the question in the model specific Forums. You may also get some feedback in the Prices Paid discussions.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • editor2editor2 Member Posts: 64
    It would be interesting to hear of people's loan rate successes. While loan rates are published and available, people often arrange for better terms that aren't published. How do they do so? Where do they get them? Useful info.
    I think that would be covered in New Vehicle Financing: What Rate Can I Get? and Used Vehicle Financing: What Rate Can I Get?.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • nds7nds7 Member Posts: 1
    has anybody heard of eperks.com? Thx
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Yes, I have seen brand new registrants on other forums across the web posting that exact question, which seems to be their marketing strategy to drive traffic to that site. Since it hasn't launched yet, not much to comment on.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    geesh. you gonna let that pass? ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

No one has to visit the site if they don't want to. If it's a genuine question (which it could be), the OP will likely post a follow-up.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    you have much more faith than I

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I suspect the third comment in this link about the business says it all...

link title

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Looks like the strategy is earning them negative business, then :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• warfire80warfire80 Member Posts: 2
    Not sure if this is the right place but so many topics dont know where to post. So here goes.

I am in the market for a 2007 honda civic w/nav. And trading in a 2005 Chevy Equinox LS with 23000 miles on it. TMV value is like 13,800(I owe 16.xxx) or so for the chevy.

I got to my first dealer and they give me a rock bottom price of 25,500 OTD in which I think I can get it lower but they arent budging. So off to the 2nd dealer they come back with a price of 27,450, at this point I am floored. I ask the dealer what they were giving me on the trade and he jumped around the question trying not to answer me so I finally got it out of him. He says 11,xxx, so I proceed to ask him why so little, when the trade value is closer to 14,000. He tells me that the dealership is a wholesaler dealership, so I told him to sell the civic for wholesale but my witty remark didnt get a good response.

So I was getting no where with him and he was giving me the manager calling other people on a saturday to get more for my trade run around.

So I am not sure where to go from here, most people are paying 21,xxx for the civic, I know I am taking a hit in the neg equity but I am sure I can work with dealer #1 another 1000 dollars. Or just go to another dealer and see what they say.
    Give Buying Tips: How Do I Get the Best Deal? a try for startes. Also, check out Honda Civic: Prices Paid & Buying Experience.

Use that information along with Auto advice: car buying, auto leasing, car insurance at Edmunds and you will be in a position to make an offer!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • frazzled3frazzled3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Iwas wondering if you could have a discussion on how to sell a 2005 chrysler 2005 van. I have posted it on auto trader is there anything else where I can get maximum exposure
    We aren't set up for buying and selling in our Forums but How to sell your car. has a lot of good tips.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dcdriver4dcdriver4 Member Posts: 6
    I'm trying to do a private sale of a car, and found that "real world" experience on this section of the board is surprisingly thin. Any chance of starting a new topic so we sellers can trade notes?

I'm thinking of info like:
    - where the action is these days. Cars.com? local paper? Ebay?
    - how long it takes?
    - other tips?

Thanks,
    Well, we have Questions about Private Sale Transactions. Since that discussion isn't particularly busy, it probably makes sense to continue using it rather than splitting up the conversation across several topics.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Or, more diplomatically, is there a "I Love Cars but Hate Buying Them" forum?
    I don't think that would be very productive. You might try something like Dealer Dis-Service Horror Stories or Choosing a Dealer - What to Look For.

You may also like to write up a review of a dealer in Dealer Ratings and Reviews.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I don't understand - why does it have to be productive?

I think the title would reflect the true feelings of many a person who has reticence about the process of buying a car. Productivity has nothing to do with it.

If you don't want to deal with how people feel, why have a forum at all?
    why does it have to be productive?

I'm sorry, I was speaking euphemistically. When I say it wouldn't be productive, I mean that inevitably topics such as the one you propose ("I hate car salesmen") quickly degenerate and go out of control with diatribes, rants, insults, flames, hurt feelings and frazzled hosts.

On the other hand, your alternate title ("I love cars but hate buying them") could work if we can come up with a good rationale regarding how it will contribute to being a smart shopper. I'm open to suggestions.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I don't understand - why does it have to be productive?

Wow I don't know what to say....

I am speechless or uhhh wordless I mean.

:confuse: :mad:
    Well, that's understood, I guess, and that is why I proposed the alternative. On the other hand, in a serious discussion one cannot be afraid of some passion as long as it's not personal. Even the professionals slip there. Just watch at "Meet The Press" and "Face The Nation" one Sunday morning, and you see it's not always possible to "play nice". Sometimes Shieffer and Russert have their hands full! Treating the forums like a kindergarten isn't a good idea, either.

Now, I passionately hate car salesmen, and would rather have a dentist pull my teeth out several times over than to walk onto a lot. I'm more comfortable walking onto a car lot after the lot is closed or on Sundays when the vultures have gone home. Why is that? I think that's an important topic. I think part of the reason this is so is the same reason women hate to broach controversial topics. Women tend to shy away from conflict, they want to be goody-goody and not hurt feelings and not be strong, and that's bad, especially when some good can ultimately come from it. We haven't been properly taught how to argue and hold our ground.

So, if someone besides me can find a better way to word the topic, great. Just address it, and give people the freedom to do so honestly.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    This from the guy who posts ...

"Take your Toyota to the dealership to diagnose the problem (burning smell from the front end) ... and then take it somewhere cheaper."
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    338 must have been deleted ;)

irismg, I agree with you. Root Canal or dealing with a car salesman leaves me undecided. Now I just use Edmunds pricing for buying and selling. Print it out. Bring it in. Salesfolks will flinch, rebuff, see the GM and squirm, but will not meet the price. Therefore I haven't bought in 2 years and am happy and wealthy. My advice is find a good mechanic and keep ol bessie running forever. To find a good mechanic look up "speed shop" in the yellow pages. Those guys really fix stuff and can improvise rather than just replace parts. My 2 cents. Hope it helps.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

338 must have been deleted

Sometimes people have second thoughts about what they wrote in a posted message and have up to 30 minutes to edit - or delete.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    The answer is that sometimes TMV is not a doable price.
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Actually it is doable. I just leave if the upgrind begins so they take my very reasonable offer as I present it or they don't. Just as long as you get it...the guy with the dough sets the rules. The guy with the tin wishes he had the dough. Edmunds has the prices right. Some old time shops still refuse to accept it and it shows.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

No, you just don't get it. Like any other price guide sometimes Edmunds is wrong. They seem to get it right more often then other pricing guides but TMV is still sometimes high and sometimes low.

Back a yeah and a half ago I had someone looking to buy a Range Rover Sport and he brought up TMV. He said that he put in his zip code and it showed that Sports were going for 3,500 off of MSRP and he thought that didn't sound right considering we were on the verge of a waiting list for them. I hadn't checked TMV in a while so I brought it up and put in the zip code for the dealership. We still got the 3,500 off of MSRP.

At the time we had only sold one Sport for less then MSRP and that one was a demo with 1,300 miles on it. The nearest other Land Rover dealership to us is over an hour away and they were in a similar situation to us. They could barely keep up with demand and were selling most Sports at MSRP or MSRP with some free accessories. Obviously for our area in that instance TMV was not correct. I don't know what kind of algorithm they use for TMV but maybe with my state being kind of small it was including deals for the TMV price from NYC or Boston. Even then it was still strange since I know the sales managers at Manhattan and some of the Boston area dealers and they weren't giving up 3,500 dollar average discounts either.
    this is the "suggest a topic" discussion. Let's take the actual conversation elsewhere.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• jojomajojoma Member Posts: 2
    Hi. Great forums! I am considering leasing for the first time and from what I have read experts recommend putting 0 money down. However, I have never seen a 0 down offer on a lease. It's usually $2750 down, $249 per month, etc. So would I be allowed to say I'll pay $300 or $325 per month with nothing down instead of $249 with a down payment. Are dealers open to that? Also, what would you consider the most negotaible part of a lease? The mileage allowance? The price? The term? Nothing?

Sorry for this basic question but I have never leased.

Thanks
    I would suggest posting your question in General Questions about Leasing Vehicles.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dragon_flydragon_fly Member Posts: 1
    What time of the year can you find the best deals? I am wondering if I have to wait until the end of this year or the beginning of 2008 to find a good deal for a 2007 car.
    I think that might be covered in Buying Tips: How Do I Get the Best Deal?.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    It does. Thank you for that.
  • zoesamzoesam Member Posts: 33
    The Monroney sticker or MSRP sticker IN DETAIL

All the websites give the obvious info as to what to find on the Monroney sticker, but I can't find one that decodes the less obvious stuff. What does the date in the bottom right corner (in teeny print) mean? Went to several Chevy dealers on a day they were closed & compared these dates, I'm guessing they are production dates, not delivery dates since there were a lot of same dates. Some were a year old, but the same dates. Also what do the large letters "DO" again in the bottom right mean? Dealer owned? After awhile of financing the new cars on the lot, do dealers eventually own them? Or does "DO" mean something entirely different? We were unable to determine the pattern of what had a DO & what didn't.

Most importantly, sometimes after the VIN, it says "REISSUE", what does that mean? Does it mena the VIN was reissued? Is that possible & if so, why? I found it on several dealer demos, but not on all dealer demos & on some that didn't appear to be demos. It seems shady to me, but I made a point of going to dealers that weren't associated & saw the "REISSUE" at both.
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    Is there a place to talk about the UAW and what happens if GM does not get a contract in place tonight and they strike?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    UAW is here...

UAW

Feel free to join the pool choosing settlement date.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Reissue is most likely a reprinted Monroney sticker as the original was damaged or lost. That happens all the time with demos so we just call a certain 1-800 number or login to the proper screen on our computer system.

They will mail us a reprinted window sticker in a couple of weeks.

No idea what all your other questions mean as I don't work for a chevy dealer.
    Thank you so much British_Rover! Your answer helps a lot. I was afraid that the VIN # itself was reissued & that certainly didn't sound legit or possible. I'm going to stop at another brand dealer today & see if the small print date & the "DO" designation is unique to Chevy.

Thanks Again,
    Zoesam
  • arrightarright Member Posts: 1
    hi people, who could explain me some tips in american car trade and iternational shiping ?

can i buy a car without auctions ? is it ever possible ? is there any risk to buy not exactly what you expecting ?

well, can i find some dealer or broker, who could arrange all these things ? buying car and shiping ?

thanks.
    have a lot of questions in my head, dont know where to start.
    This may not be exactly what you are looking for but give it a try: European Delivery: Experiences, Advice & Info

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • karen_tnkaren_tn Member Posts: 22
    My son is 21 and is going to be getting his first vehicle soon. He wants a car (vs. SUV, truck, etc.) He is a big guy....6'5" tall and muscular. What are some cars that he should look at so that he has adequate head and leg room? Thanks. :confuse:
    Don't know, but while doing some other research online I came across an article at Consumer Reports online regarding the best cars for tall & short people.
    We have just the topic for you! Best Vehicles for Taller/Larger Drivers

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • npumcrisznpumcrisz Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a transferable certified used honda pilot on finance from a registered honda dealer on 10/13/2007. I added
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Extended warranty.
    [*] GAP
    [*] Lojack
    [*] Replacement insurance
    [/LIST] based on the misleading information given to me. Okay I got deceived- first time buyer. :mad:

[B]Problem 1[/B]
    Now I want to opt out of the contract ie have a new contract signed without the above four. I went to the dealer on 10/15/2007 and made my case. Looking at the individual documents, I can opt out within 30 days of receiving these 4 contract. The finance contract has no option for me to cancel/ revoke. The problem is if I opt out from the four, (ie after receiving the documents in the mail); I only get a check for the amount I paid for excluding any finance charges from the bank.

That was the main reason why I wanted to remove these four. To reduce the car loan thus reducing my finance charges and monthly payments. I tell the honda dealer why I want it removed but I'm been told I can't get a new contract removing the above four. :mad:

I definitely wouldn't recommend this dealer to anyone but is there away I could void the present contract. I don't like the hassle of going to court, first it's lenghty and may not be economical.

[B]Problem 2[/B]

At the honda dealer on 10/15/2007 while fight for a solution for the problem above, the dealer's finance manager corrected my assumption that my loan wasn't calculated using the laws of compounding interest but based on the laws of simple interest. It was clearly written at the top of the bank/ loan contract.

Using Microsoft Excel entered the my monthly payments, bank interest rate, loan amount and time ( number of years to pay off my loan). Also I quickly in his presence tried in vain to inform him that the total finance charge I would pay isn't what is printed on the document. If I use the compound interest formula, the total finance charge I would pay is what is printed on the document. . Either he was pretending or he truly was ignorant of the formula. I plan on getting home and using a financial software to verify my assumption. Buyers are deceived into thinking their rates are based on simple interest but truly it's based on compound interest.

Definitely on all grounds based on the simple interest this contract is invalid. What should I do now. I know

What should I do
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Do nothing but reget doing business with this dealer?
    [*]Seek a legal help and fight them in court whatever it takes.
    [/LIST]
    I would recommend posing your questions in the Questions About Financing New Vehicles discussion.

Regarding your question about compound versus simple interest, I don't know what your contract says but I don't think anyone provides nor does anyone expect simple interest on a car loan. We can discuss it in the above indicated topic.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • npumcrisznpumcrisz Member Posts: 6
    done

It is boldly spell out Simple interest.

I falsely assume likewise if not of the finance manager who showed me I would never have noticed.
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    Oh hellooooo pot this kettle calling.
    Hey hemipeen, try dropping into our Buying Tips discussion

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

I believe you are looking for this dicussion: Buying Tips - How Do I Get the Best Deal?

Also, note that this page is for suggesting topics for discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper