Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Smart Shopper - Suggest a topic of discussion

Comments

• kingchan123kingchan123 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys! Our old car got into a bit of an accident and we settled for about 6k. Suffice to say, we need a new set of wheels.

We were split between a v6-Camry and an v6-Accord, and were about to make a decision but came across some consumer reports that said neither Toyota nor Honda were good...

I'm looking for some pros/cons for both, and any other recommendations for any other makes/brands,anything in the range of or under 25k that you guys may have. Not really looking for anything special, a family car for groceries and the occasional out-of-state trip to the relatives...V6 engine to last...
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    We were split between a v6-Camry and an v6-Accord, and were about to make a decision but came across some consumer reports that said neither Toyota nor Honda were good...

Now THAT is a new one.

Personally, the Camry and the Accord are seen as being very reliable and have been for years. I would also add the Chevrolet Impala which is a very solid and comfortable vehicle. My wife's company fleet is all Impalas and they have had really good success in terms of reliability.

I would also look at the v6 Ford Fusion/ Mercury Milano as it is a very stylish and solid vehicle. I would NOT recommend the I4 models which feel very underpowered.
  • eatkinseatkins Member Posts: 9
    hello, i would like to purcahse a new good looking car seat covers for my car...bau i'd also wanna buy them with a good price and good quality..so can anyone tell me where should i be looking ??!!
  • eatkinseatkins Member Posts: 9
    well after surffing the internet for more that an hour...i found a very nice and well organized website..they ve it all..all the makes with all the models, sub models and the years..anyway..if anyone is looking for a new seat covers for his car... i recommend visiting that site:
    www.barbari.com
  • wilkens11wilkens11 Member Posts: 48
    How about: "Followup calls after a bad CSI survey." The customer has a rotten experience, and fills out the survey accordingly. But then, the customer receives a call from the salesman, complaining about the bad survey! The stories I've heard are just hilarious, and outrageous.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think you might be interested in this: Customer Satisfaction Surveys

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • carman32carman32 Member Posts: 2
    I recently walked a Suzuki dealer's lot and almost all of the new cars had a dealer add on option of paint and interior protectant for (can you believe this?!) $4999.00 How can they get away with this? Do people really pay this ridiculous amount? This add on made a $16000 Forenza $21000!!! Is this the ultimate rip off or what?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Best place to ask: Dealer Add-Ons & Extras

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• creshetarcreshetar Member Posts: 5
    1st time using the internet to research and find a new car. Problem is when I 'build' my car and then go to find it there are none to be found. It doesn't matter if I choose Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Chevy, whatever...there are plenty of base models in the online inventories but virtually zero upgraded models. Is it because this is the wrong time of year (December-January), standard dealer practice to force you to special order what you want, conspiracy, what?
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    We get the exact opposite reaction from people. They want to know what they have to do to get a bare bones car any more.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    that's what i was thinking. I mean, it seems to me when I want a barebones car, it can't be found. More and more, it seems dealers order up loaded cars.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Really? Okay, find me where there is a Mazda3, 5 door, s Grand Touring, Loaded, and just for fun in a galaxy grey.
    Well, are we talking extremes or what?

Ok, maybe I mispoke when I said "loaded," because that means every option (at least in my opinion), and while that might be tougher to find, it is no tougher than the "base model" you mention. Fact is, we can more easily find models in the middle of the range with options most commonly desired.

Case in point, since you asked me to look, I searched the mazda site within 150 miles of my area. I found exactly 1 base 5-door 5-spd and 1 GT 5-door auto. Both at the same dealer and both in black mica. In comparison, I found 7 touring 5-doors with automatic trannies.

Now, of course, we don't know how trustworthy the online inventory is. I suggest you actually contact a dealer. You have to remember, too, if you want a real specific combo ... let's say a GT 5-door auto with navigation in grey ... well, you are probably wanting 1 of only 100 cars built. If you had more color options, you could expand that number and increase your odds.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I suggest posing your question in Internet vs. Traditional Car Buying and continuing the discussion over there.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Okay, I may have sounded a bit snippy. I say we call it a draw.
    Thanks for the comeback...
    oh, its cool. I didn't think you were being snippy. :)

• amad1amad1 Member Posts: 123
    I think discussions dealing with used purchasing tips would be good. It needs to be exclusive to used car purchases, only dealing with the sweet science of purchasing a used car.

As we know, there;'s difference science to purchasing a new car vs a used car. For example, the new car buyer looks for invoice whereas the used car buyer should look for, retail or wholesale price when negotiating a used car deal? I don't think new car purchases and used car purchases should intertwined, that leads to a lot of confusion.
    Those are good points and you can discussion them here: Purchasing Used Vehicles

You may also be interested in the Used Vehicle Financing and Used Vehicles: Best Values discussions.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • amad1amad1 Member Posts: 123
    How about a thread dedicated to advice about avoiding the sales department and purchasing directly from the Fleet Manager.

No Internet/Fleet Manager, I believe that's a bogus title. I think for the most part, they are a part of the sales department.
    You could try to revive this discussion: Do fleet sales hurt automakers or help them?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • flkeysflkeys Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to get some opions/advice on a used vehicle we are looking at to purchase. The Carfax report states that it was sold at an auction in Florida and listed as a "Fleet Vehicle". The vehicle has 3800 miles on it. My concern is that that vehicle has no history of being titled or licensed. How did it get the miles on it without being licensed. Carfax mentions in their glossary that all Fleet Company's don't always report damage information since they are self insured. Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    It looks like you already posted your question in the right place: flkeys, "Purchasing Used Vehicles" #1419, 9 Feb 2008 11:20 am!keywords=

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bootsnixonbootsnixon Member Posts: 1
    I have not seen a topic on my question so I thought I would post it here. I am trying to selling a vehicle and have it listed at various websites and print media. I have received several calls from companies that purchase and sell cars to poor credit buyers. They say they have buyers in my area that want the type of vehicle I'm selling but I have to pay their sign-up fee to meet with the buyer. I like the idea and would sign-up but it seems like a bit of a trap to get my money. Does anyone have experience with these companies or could a discussion be started to get opinions on this?
    Try posting your question in Questions About Private Sale Transactions. I would be curious to know what kind of fees the agent would charge.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • johnnyblaze3johnnyblaze3 Member Posts: 1
    i'm shopping for a 2005 chevy malibu LT. i've found one with 27000 miles. dealer asking 12,000. carfax states car was leased in july 2004. if i go into negotiations to buy this car can i treat the depreciation of this car as if it were 4 years old, since the lease begin in 2004, or do i have to treat the car as a 3 y/o since the year of it is a 2005?
    You can treat it any way you want to. You are the buyer and the car is worth what it is worth. No amount of reasoning will change those 2 facts.

Purchasing Used Vehicles should be helpful!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • netmark1netmark1 Member Posts: 1
    The best way to negotiate and buy a new car;

Here is my experience.
    Step one:

from consumerreports.org and edmunds.com: find the best cars which fit your need and budgets,

Step two:

go to one dealer and have a test drive of one or more cars you want to buy

Step three:

go to carspace and find out the lowest quotes on the same car others can get

Step 4

Use this price quote to negotiate the best deal you can get.

With these tips you can save hundreds of dollars.
    http://web500.us/how-to-buy-new-cars-with-the-lowest-price/
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Step two:

go to one dealer and have a test drive of one or more cars you want to buy

May I propose that a better way of doing this is to locate the models that you are looking for at Avis/Hertz/Enterprise. Drive the car 500-1000 miles over a weekend or two (weekend rates are very low) and see how you like it.

When I was looking for a car (for two months), I rented every weekend for $25 per weekend from Hertz and tried out six different models and ended up with the Toyota Corolla, which is a car I thought that I disliked.
  • meandmmeandm Member Posts: 5
    I wasn't sure where this post should/would go, so I figured I'd start here :)

Has to do with purchasing a used car, that *was* a leased vehicle.

My wife and I are looking at buying a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT.

It's loaded.

A retired couple leased the van in 2005, and were (some how) able to get out of the lease early, and decided to lease a new 2008 G.C.

They did this all though the same dealership.

I've never leased before, but have researched it.

My questions are:

-) Would that retired couple get a trade-in value/credit toward the lease of their new van?

I ask that because dealerships sell vehicles to leasing companies (at or below "cap price"), and most likely make $$ on that transaction (they certainly don't do it for free!).

So, if the dealership *does* give a trade-in allowance/credit toward the lease of a new vehicle, then I would probably need to consider the trade-in value and retail value of the 2005 we're looking at much more.

However...

If the dealership does *not* give trade-in allowance toward a new lease, and just takes the old van off their hands because they're nice guys....then wouldn't whatever the dealership sells it for be "pure profit"...?

The way I'd see it would be:
    Dealer sell to lease company, makes $$
    --lease company makes $$ for 3 years
    ----gets turned back in to dealer after 3 years, who gives no trade-in credit
    ------goes out the door at $15k...this = $15k profit for dealer (right?)

They're asking $16,900 for it, and we're able to spend $15,000 (or less) with a $3k downpayment and anticipated $1300 trade-in (making our loan somewhere around $12k to $13k)

Thanks for the help!!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    If the car gets turned into the dealer, and they keep it, then they have to buy it from the bank, first....

So, if the bank charges them $13K, and they sell it to you for $15K, then they make $2K...

The couple that turned it in got nothing for it, because they just rented the car for three years.... The bank owns it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• meandmmeandm Member Posts: 5
    Ahh...so I will need to consider the trade-in value and retail value when I make my offer :)

It's interesting, though. I read on JD Power today that 2006 GC's were expected to have a 37% residual value...even on the high-end models.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/reviews/review.aspx?ID=247

Putting in a figure of $38,000 * 37% I came up with $14,060 for a residual value.

This doesn't really jive with retail prices that I've been finding:
    KBB = $19,000
    Edmunds = $15,300
    NADA = $18,700

Now, trade in is much closer to that 37%, though:
    KBB = $14,700
    Edmunds = $12,300
    NADA = $15,900

If we decide to make an offer, any advice on where to start?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    You've got it... buying an off-lease car is no different than any other used car. You have to do your homework.

Try posting details of the van here: Real-World Trade-In Values

Someone can give you an accurate idea of what the dealership has in the vehicle...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bayhookbayhook Member Posts: 2
    Was looking at a 2007 Honda SE at the Honda dealer, and my credit union was having a promotion with Enterprise Rent a car. Enterprise had the same vehicle with the same mileage for $1700 less than the dealership. Additionally, Enterprise processing fee was $200 less. Has anyone had any buying experiences with Enterprise, if so, your input would be appreciated
    Purchasing Rental & Program Vehicles sounds like a good match to your question!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ksb3ksb3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm buying a Honda Pilot EXL. Honda is offering $3500 Cash to Dealer Incentive. The TMV price of the vehicle is $29,011 - the invoice price is $30,917. Should I be negotiating off the $29,011 or $30,917 price. The best price I've received is $27,325, which includes the document fee.
    Thanks!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Check with other buyers and shoppers here:
    Honda Pilot Prices Paid & Buying Experience

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• t00qu1ckt00qu1ck Member Posts: 1
    I need to buy a new car, I own a 2001 pontiac firebird formula with the 5.7L LS1 motor... I want a newer car with the same "kick" my firebird has, I want one with a manual transmission and navigation!

I need help, please suggest some cars to research so I can start test driving to see whats right for me!
    There is the general What's the best vehicle for my needs? discussion but you may also want to try Sports Cars - The Definitive Discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • stilgarstilgar Member Posts: 6
    I don't see a forum for this. Frankly, I've tagged along with some people and seen the many forms they have to sign. You need a dictionary for some of the terms on these form. How about starting a forum where people post about the types of forms that have to be signed and what they mean? Perhaps scans of the forms (with the personal details whited out) could even be posted to show newbie buyers what kind of legalese and jargon is involved.

My friend got a new car for cash, signed a bunch of forms, and go the following back:
    1) "We Owe"
    2) A pink slip with "unpaid balance due at delivery" written at the bottom
    3) Bailment/temporary use agreement
    That's a great idea! Thanks.

I set up a new discussion here: Paperwork for buying, selling, financing and leasing. Please, feel free to get the discussion started.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jpallinjpallin Member Posts: 4
    I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how shoppers can find the right or best car. The "filters" on most shopping sites just list cars by price. But I want to know which car is right first, before I think about price. Any suggestions?
    You could start here: Buying Guide Index

Generally, you should determine what your requirements are and seek out the vehicles that best fit those requirements.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • goodgradesnowgoodgradesnow Member Posts: 6
    And also a forum on how to buy the right used car
  • jpallinjpallin Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, I know what you mean. Figure out what I want and need, and then go find something that fits what I want and need.

So what's the best (as in easiest, most objective, painless and not with a salesperson trying to close a deal)way to figure out what I want and need?
    Give What's the best vehicle for my needs? a try!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mattandimattandi Member Posts: 588
    Considering the shifting market, how about a thread for folks to tell their story of changing from an SUV or truck to something else? What prompted the change? Did they lose on the truck? What did they get? How did it affect their personal budget? blah blah

Conversely, maybe someone could tell about going the other way.

Maybe have the thread in the SUV and truck forums as well.
    The Trucks and SUVs are becoming best deals out there. topic is pretty much in line with what you propose. Have a look!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mattandimattandi Member Posts: 588
    Didn't see that one. Last post over a year ago. Maybe it will get revived.

and that thread is really focussed more reverse of what I had in mind, but that's ok, I did mention that in my suggestion. ;)