Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Smart Shopper - Suggest a topic of discussion

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    bodibodi Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Kirstie_h
  • Options
    atwnsw1atwnsw1 Member Posts: 21
    I posted this in the Extended Warranty section and didn't receive a single response so thought that you might be kind enough to create a new discussion. The merits of the discussion apply to all extended warranties: What is the cheapest way to buy them and where? Can they be bought cheaper out of state?

I have decided to buy a Mercury Insurance Extended Warranty after talking with several reputable dealers and independent service companies. Since the extended warranty is identical coverage no matter where I buy it, I was wondering what state typically offers the cheapest policies or more specifically which company (contact name and phone # would be ideal).

I don't want this thread to get hijacked on whether my decision to buy or not to buy a 3rd party warranty. That decision is made. I am now looking at the least expensive place to buy this particular Mercury Insurance coverage.

If you have a person and company name for me to contact, you can email me at tampaone@gmail.com

I am located in Florida but think it will be much cheaper if I can buy it out of state… The reason that I suspect it will be cheaper is that I once bought an Infiniti Manufacturer Extended Warranty that was out of state while I resided in Florida and it was 1/3 less. However, I don't know if the state regulations apply equally to 3rd party aftermarket warranties vs manufacturer extended warranties....

Thanks in advance...
  • Options
    jwilliams2jwilliams2 Member Posts: 910
    I assume you are talking about Mercury Insurance Group's Mechanical Breakdown Protection, which I believe is marketing exclusively through Independent Agents. My suggestion would be to call various agents and get quotes. Make sure they are licensed in Florida.

Manufacturers extended warranty's are different. They generally have the same list price in all states, but there is a considerable markup. It is up to each individual dealer to set his selling price, be it MSRP or discounted. It really has nothing to do with what state the dealer is in.
  • Options
    atwnsw1atwnsw1 Member Posts: 21
    edited October 2010
    Yes, that is the policy which I am considering.

Is there a reason that I should buy it from a Florida agent? What is the advantage?

I know that I have to pay 7% sales tax in FL. If I buy it out of state, wouldn't I be able to save tax?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,198
    The info from other Florida residents suggests that Florida does not allow entities outside Florida to sell insurance products to their residents..

For instance, dealers that sell Honda Care warranties will not sell to Florida residents (excepting Florida dealers, of course)..

Hope that helps,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rmingrming Member Posts: 9
    I have run across a car buying website called carwoo. I would like to start a new thread to ask people if they have used it and what their experiences have been. Thanks
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A separate thread asking about a specific service isn't likely to generate feedback. I've broadened and existing discussion, where you can ask about others' experience with this service:
    Online Services Experiences (Carsdirect.com, Carwoo.com, etc.)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    proffy89proffy89 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, everyone. I need a small assistance in car financing/leasing. I'm a citizen of Russia and move to US for to years for a work. I would like to buy a Volkswagen CC, namely this one: Car I want . I'm buying a car with a Company who deals with expats and who can provide a car financing or leasing without credit history. I received the quote from the Company today. Could you please assess it for reasonableness. Actually I have enough money to purchase it at full price, but I've got money on deposit in Russia with very good interest rates. So, if the quotes a reasonable, it is more profitable for me to use financing or leasing.

The quote is as follows:

$ 19,477.00 Capitalized Price of Vehicle1
    $ 616.75 * Motor Vehicle Excise Tax 3.2500% State OK
    $ 111.75 * Initial License Fee
    $ 0.00 Registration Fee Order Information
    $ 995.00 * Other: Application Processing Fee Driver Name
    $ 4,869.25 * Capitalized Price Reduction
    $ 0.00 * Tax on Capitalized Price Reduction
    $ 0.00 Gain Applied From Prior Unit Lic. Plate Type Unknown
    $ 0.00 * Security Deposit GVWR 0
    $ 0.00 Extended Service Contract
    $ 14,607.75 Total Capitalized Amount
    $ 608.65 Depreciation Reserve 4.1666%
    $ 77.78 Monthly Lease Charge (Based on Interest Rate - Subject to a Floor)
    $ 686.43 Total Monthly R">ental Excluding Additional Services
    $ 0.15 Reduced Book Value at 24 Months
    $ 400.00 Service Charge Due at Lease Termination

Why the price on the website is lower than the one stated in the quote. The company said that the difference refers to documentary fees and administrative fees. Is it reasonable?
  • Options
    penguinpcpenguinpc Member Posts: 1
    If the dealer price on a used car is already TMV, is it still possible that I can negotiate a lower price? I will be paying cash.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    TMV represents an average in your area. Some do better, some do worse. A lot of that comes down to how much time and how many different dealerships you're willing to go to. If I got TMV on a vehicle I was specifically looking for early in the process, I'd be done. My time and aggravation level are worth a lot. If you don't mind, and enjoy the process, or are shopping several vehicles, you can keep trying. It's really all about what you're personally comfortable with and willing to do.

If you let us know what you're shopping for, we can direct you to some more specific discussions.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews