Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Does every new model have to be some type of SUV?

bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
edited March 2014 in Jeep
Don't get me wrong, everyone should be able to choose the type of vehicle they want. In fact, that's the point of this post.....having choices. Are our choices being taken away from us? Look at all the new vehicle models coming out each year. More and more SUV models are introduced every year, and now a lot of companies have started coming out with these mutant car/SUV models. The availablilty of all these new models in itself isn't neccesarily a bad thing, however, whenever one of these new mutants is introduced, one of the car models is dicontinued. I think people should have the choice of whatever they want to drive, but how much longer can this continue before the only vehicles we have to choose from are SUV's?

Comments

• Options
    just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    The auto makers are always saying that they are giving the public what it demands. They must have some information as to what car buyers wants/needs are.

Of course, I just don't get why every new model has to have more and more H.P. I mean, putting a Hemi in a truck, 500 H.P.!!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    As just4fun mentioned, new model decisions are based on buying trends. Right now with SUVs and trucks, the public seems to think that the more HP, the better. The return of the muscle car is also contributing to the "bigger is better" trend.

Given that there's not that much more in materials and labor going into the manufacturing of an SUV or large truck than a car (esp. domestics), yet the MSRP is much higher, the profit margin on these vehicles should be relatively high.

If folks were standing in line for 2-door hatchbacks, that's what you'd see in future production.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    Sales are down vs GM. In the Jeep SUV segment Cherokee sales have been slipping over the last few years. Liberty is just doing OK. Chrysler made a mistake with the Durango being so truck like with a cheap interior and solid axle drivetrain. The "Hemi" is just a poor try at sooping up the Durango. I don't think SRX and Escalade buyers are going to grab Durangos now because of a Hemi and DVD players.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well, while I don't dispute the validity of your statement, the manufacturers are always, necessarily, a little behind the trend. This is because the new model decisions were made long before the decline in sales. Obviously, they have to plan years ahead for new model production, and they can only go on what's happening at the moment they have to make the decision.

Next year we might be looking at a discussion titled, "Why does every new model have to be a Sport Wagon?" or "... a hybrid?"

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    As an aside, there are plenty of new non-SUV non-truck introductions. I don't think the pace has shortened at all.

Within the Honda family, in the last couple of years we've gotten a new Accord and TL, an all-new TSX, an upgraded S2000, a new Civic hybrid, and the RL and NSX seem to be the targets for the next big makeovers. Sure, there was a new Pilot and a new Element as well... but the balance for that manufacturer seems to be focused firmly on their non-SUVs.

Ditto for BMW which has refreshed just about everything but their SUV lately.

And hasn't Ford, having refreshed their truck line, set their sights on a plethora of car launches in '04 and '05?

I don't know... everywhere I look I see 70% non-SUV redesigns.
  • Options
    tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Some of it is import brands adding "trucks" to match the Big 3.

Honda is going to show a Pilot based "pick-up" at Auto Shows.

Still, I am sick of all the "hey I'm an SUV" to get the fashionable buyers.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I used to not like people driving SUV's because I don't see unless you have family why you should be driving an SUV. I looked at my opinion and its like its a free country and people can buy what they want. Still I will be buying cars as long as I don't have a big family. I have no use to buy an SUV because I don't need that much interior room and the gas bills are outrageous to fill your truck up with fuel. Basically owning an SUV is not economically for me.
  • Options
    sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    > Honda is going to show a Pilot based "pick-up" at Auto Shows.

Goodbye, Ford. It's been nice knowing you over the last few decades... rest in peace.
  • Options
    Personally, I don't see why many people with families end up with SUV's. Most of them would be better off with a minivan. Minivans have more interior space and get better mileage. The only reason I can see people needing SUV's is if they live somewhere where they actually need 4 WD, or if they do a lot of towing. Unfortunately, we all know too well this isn't the case with most SUV owners. They think owning an SUV makes them part of the "in" crowd, when actually they're only "in" more debt.
  • Options
    twinbladesztwinbladesz Member Posts: 104
    Personally, I don't see why many people with families end up with SUV's. Most of them would be better off with a minivan. Minivans have more interior space and get better mileage. They think owning an SUV makes them part of the "in" crowd, when actually they're only "in" more debt.

I can agree with these statements. I have to report to work no matter the weather so my Explorer's 4wd comes in handy. If it wasnt for that and the fact that the wife wants a pretty hefty sized travel trilaer I would probably get a minivan just for all the room. But there is no minivan that will tow a Travel trailer that starts out weighing 7,000lbs before adding the fuel and the options.
  • Options
    My suggestion to folks in your situation would be to consider picking up a more economical vehicle to drive when the roads aren't bad, and you don't need to do any towing. You can pick up a decent, used Civic or Corolla, or something else in that class for around $2K-$3K. Not only will it get 2-3 times better fuel economy, you'll put a lot fewer miles on your Explorer as well.
This discussion has been closed.