Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra vs. Nissan Titan

Comments

• puckyhuddlepuckyhuddle Member Posts: 52
    on price. I was thinking too that the buzz on the Titan is going to benefit Tundra DC prices (at least I'm hoping). All the reviews that I've read put the Titan on top, but for reasons that make it less attractive to me, and it would seem to others on this board. I don't want an aggressive in your face truck with a monster sounding engine. I really want an SUV with more utility (an SUT (t-ruck)?), and the Tundra fits the bill. I'm surprised Toyota is marketing it as a workhorse when I think it misses the mark compared to the competition. I see it more as a Sequoia with more utility and a much better price.
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    Nissan doesn't use a brand - they do it themselves at the factory. I guess it's advantage is it is warranteed by the factory and it is anti slip too.

Some people have said they don't like it because it is much thinner than a Rhino or other aftermarket and they figure it might not be as strong against dents. I guess being thinner it wouldn't make the dimensions of the box smaller, although this would be a very small advantage. Also, it is computer sprayed so the consistency would be better than having a person spray it.

I got it with my Titan but I really didn't have any choice. It comes standard on the SE in Canada (as does the utility system).
  • prozacaddictprozacaddict Member Posts: 32
    Applied by a robot at Nissan's new Canton, Miss., plant, the Durabed Liner was developed by PPG with input from Nissan. It is made "from a high performance elastomer coating formed by a two component system that when combined reacts to create a polymer chain that crosslinks with other chains to form a tough, high, light and moisture resistant coating," says Nissan.

It was developed out of a need for high bed protection but also compatibility with the company's tie-down channel system.

The bedliner is applied after the truck has been painted and resists gauging by tools, shovels or sharp objects placed in the truck. Since it has a non-skid surface, bed cargo will not move around during transit.

Because it does not "sit" on top of the bed, rust will not develop beneath it like traditional drop-in bedliners, it also avoids road noise and vibration and dampens sounds unlike drop-in units.

The weatherproof bedliner is factory applied and therefore warranted by Nissan. The company plans to sell repair kits in the event something does scratch or gouge the bedliner.

Now dont get me wrong, I have a Toyota DC on order and I love the Toyota over the Titan, I am just posting this for Titan fans benefit
    I know you will be satisfied with the Tundra DC. As for the engine noise you were referring to, I am planning on adding a custom Dual Stainless Exhaust to mine, for some added HP and a lil sound, now dont get me wrong, the one I ordered is a Limited, but I have heard many 2003 Tundras with Duals and the ones I have heard are not really too loud, but more throaty sounding, especially when you get on it.

And as far as toyota marketing the DC as a workhorse, It is indeed to the average Joe, sure if you have a hugh travel trailer or load/pull often, then you may want to consider another vehicle for this purpose. Now I am not saying the DC will not perform loads/pulls, but for my needs this foots the bill exactly. I am an avid Hunter/Sportsman I dont own a trailer, boat, or anything that needs to be pulled, so in this case the DC is perfect for me. The Limited/Leather option just adds that extra touch of class.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    If the next Tundra looks anything remotely to the FTX concept truck, Toyota could finally have a winner. That thing is huge
  • kurt123kurt123 Member Posts: 13
    is shooting for a 2006 launch of the next Tundra based on that FTX concept with an upgraded engine, which will be a conventional gasoline engine at first,(probably a larger displacement,more powerful version of the Lexus-derived engine now in present Tundras or something totally different). Toyota also says they "intend" to bring a V8 Hybrid to market, but that will come a couple years later. I have no doubt that they will, especially if the V6 in the 2005 Landcruiser proves successful. Ypu can expect the next Tundra to big BIG, although I'm sure it will be scaled down somewhat from the FTX concept.
    is shooting for a 2006 launch of the next Tundra based on that FTX concept with an upgraded engine, which will be a conventional gasoline engine at first,(probably a larger displacement,more powerful version of the Lexus-derived engine now in present Tundras or something totally different). Toyota also says they "intend" to bring a V8 Hybrid to market, but that will come a couple years later. I have no doubt that they will, especially if the V6 in the 2005 Landcruiser proves successful. You can expect the next Tundra to big BIG, although I'm sure it will be scaled down somewhat from the FTX concept.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    We'll see how much a heavy-duty Titan will cost (if and when it ever materializes), I bet it will be a little more than what a heavy-duty Tundra that is supposedly coming in a few years will go for.

But 3/4 ton and up go for more money anyway (vs. a 1/2 ton), regardless of make.

I would still go with the Toyota because of it's better build quailty and longer lasting engines over the Titan.
    My father works with this guy who just purchased a new Nissan Titan, he said he was very dissappointed, it has been in and out of the shop for many problems. I will keep you posted on the specifics of the problems.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    and my dad's brother's aunt's uncle told me that his friend's cat's owner's sister was driving next to a titan turning into a dealership. she told her mother's boyfriend's dog about it, and he said that it MUST have been in for repairs.

i understand that no vehicle is perfect, especially a first year model, but after hearing your rants from before, i dont buy your stories for a second...nothing personal.
  • finntomfinntom Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have true gas mileage experience with the 4x4 Tundra Double Cab and Titan Crew Cab? Also, does anyone have insight as to when the Titan off road package will actually start shipping with the electronic differential locker? Trying to decide between these trucks, I like the Titan but am somewhat wary of a first year vehicle, I need Toyota reliability after my 99 F-150 self destructed at just over 50,000 miles.
    I'm tempted by the Titan too, but reliability is key for me. Been burned by a first year redesign Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm looking at the "problems and solutions" thread on the Titan board, and see 28 posts in a month vs. 28 for 4 months on the Tundra board (which covers all years of Tundras). While some may say Titan owners are more prolific, I think it says something about quality.

I wouldn't pick one truck over another based on MPG. Both are terrible. Base the choice on your top three vehicle priorities. For me it's reliability, comfort and utility. The best combo of these for me is the Tundra. If MPG is a top priority, then you should not be considering either vehicle.
  • touctouc Member Posts: 28
    Although the Titan has a superior engine, I also have read of numerous interior, exterior, and electical "situations" showing up on the titan, too. I guess the nissan people may have slapped some of them together to meet production, as did the toyota double cabs. I just hope my double cab was 'slapped' together a little better- ha. (fingers crossed).
  • decidedononedecidedonone Member Posts: 1
    OK..here's my experience. I had first started out to buy a Tundra double cab(DC), then I found out that the Titan came in a crew cab(CC),(I don't like the suicide doors on the king cab), so I decided to get quotes on both. I wanted the Tundra DC Limited 4x2, with the leather package and tow package. On the Titan I wanted the CC LE 4X2(leather is standard) with the tow package,the side air bag package and the sliding bed divider. I got about a half dozen bids on each. Low quote on the Tundra was $30,257 and on the Titan was $30,665. It was obvious that price was not going to be the determining factor for me, so I started comparing features. The Titan has a bigger engine, more towing capacity, a 5 speed vs. 4 speed trans., disk brakes all around vs. front only, greater interior volume, a better sound system, power and heated bucket seats on both driver and passenger sides, a side air bag system, programmable peddles-mirrors-seat system, a spray in bed liner, a cargo track system with a sliding bed divider, a driver side exterior fender compartment, 18 inch wheels vs. 17 inch wheels, floor mats and splashguards. The pluses for the Tundra were an electrically operated one piece rear window and the Toyota name. I was not convinced that the Toyota quality, as good as it is, outweighed all the extras I get on a Titan. I know Nissan's quality may not be quite at Toyota's level yet, but there's no way it outweighs all the extras I got on the Titan.

I went to the local auto show and one of the dealers beat the lowest quote on the Titan by about another $300. I'm a happy guy. My new truck arrives in about 6-8 weeks. ..and that's how they stacked up for me.
    glad to hear you compared apples to apples...most people get confused by the big T name. (toyota)
    You must have test driven both. How come you did not mention anything about your impressions of both on the road?

I made a similar decision in '99 to go for the options over quality. I chose a Jeep over an Infiniti and still regret it. All those options are nice, as long as they work. Don't underestimate the value of quality. I hope you have better luck than I did. Enjoy your Titan!
    thats not exactly fair, i think...grand cherokee vs. pathfinder, cherokee vs. xterra, etc...
    Infiniti QX4, which is a nice pathfinder. Fair enough.
    how a grand cherokee could possibly have more options than a qx4...???
  • finntomfinntom Member Posts: 2
    I picked the Toyota DC this weekend, the Nissan dealers think they have such a hot product they refuse to give a firm price unless your checkbook is in hand....I just could not get over the impression that all the electronic gizmos on the Titan might not have all the bugs worked out. The Toyota seemed smoother with a focus on simplicity and quality rather than on including all the supposedly latest and greatest things. I'm also only using it for personal transport and camping with a shell, so the full 6 foot bed was more important than the monster motor of the Titan.
    Both of you will enjoy many years of maintenance free use from your DC. Mine will be in in April and I cannot wait. I have test drove every DC my local dealer has gotten in as an excuse to drive it because I cannot wait till mine comes in. About the larger bed, yes it makes it very nice. And the larger Titan engine, well a few add-ons and the Tundra is quite comparable as far as that goes, even if you dont do some mods like filter kit, module chip and dual exhaust from Borla and a TRD header kit, the Tundra DC still performs like a champ. And in response to the Titans interior, I felt it to be cheap as well. But if a Tonka Truck Look is what you want, then the Titan may be better for you. I have heard several complaints about the Titan having problems already, now that does not mean anything, and I am not saying that they always will, but I am not willing to chance it, I have always been a die-hard Toyota fan, and that is not going to change anytime soon. Congrats to finnton and touc for their recent DC purchase, keep me posted on how you like it and let me know about gas mileage you are getting.
    Again, I find someone who feels the same way I do. You must have gone to the same datsun dealer I did (Far East in NC?). Anyway, I was given the same treatment and I wasn't gonna kiss up to try to deal/haggle with them. Plus, I loved the smooth, quiet ride of the DC, will use the larger bed for camping, etc, and felt the interior of the titan was maybe overdone and seemed cheap.
      Nice choice. Enjoy your Tundra.
    Decideonone,
      Did you get all of those features on the Titan for $30,655? How much was nissan going to go under msrp? Did you negotiate Toyota price, or just compare sticker prices? I realize stickers are about the same, but from my experiences, nissan just didn't want to get the price low enough for my business. Toyota did.
      I like both trucks, but because I got a better deal on the Tundra DC, I went with it. Enjoy your titan.
    of Truck Trend magazine that Toyota is producing A 3/4 ton heavy duty pickup for 2006/2007. It will have a DOHC-aliminum block 360HP engine generating over 400lbs. of torgue- If you're considering a Titan for it's percievd more horsepower, then it might be worth the wait, especially if you don't want to give you Toyota quality!
    do you honestly think a toyota heavy duty truck is even in the pricing ballpark with a titan?!?!
  • daughesdaughes Member Posts: 12
    If Toyota produces a heavy-duty 360HP truck in the future, don't think for a minute that Nissan will stand around and let them one-up the Titan. The 5.6L has much more potential than a mere 305HP, and a heavy-duty Titan is not out of the question, either.
  • aggiemph1aggiemph1 Member Posts: 56
    Does Nissan have diesel engineering experience ?

if they don't, who would they farm that out to, maybe Cat?

I was thinking that VW's upcoming v10 Turbodiesel in the Touregg would be a good opportunity for Nissan to get an already engineered diesel into their HD truck quickly.
  • toetrucktoetruck Member Posts: 22
    I'm sure Sugar Daddy Renault has plenty of "primo quality" French diesels they could slap a Nissan badge on and slip right in that HD dude. Besides, it would'nt take much to best that world famous VW quality. Please!
    somehow I do not think that a french diesel, however well made, would sell in the American heavy duty work truck market.
  • toetrucktoetruck Member Posts: 22
    You make my point. I agree 100%.
    has been making heavy duty trucks worldwide for decades. they DO have diesel technology, and would be able to knock one out of the park in short order, i think.

daughes...

are you guys working on longer wheelbase platforms?
  • daughesdaughes Member Posts: 12
    I'm not in the loop regarding a longer wheelbase platform, but I wouldn't be surprized if it was added at some point in the future. After all, the Frontier got a longer wheelbase version a few years ago. It will probably just depend on customer demand.
    do you have any links to those trucks and diesel engines?

I would like to see what they have in the stable.
    it would be in the nissan worldwide site...i dont know where, though.
  • ndsnds Member Posts: 9
    Medium duty Nissan trucks are sold under UD brand by Nissan Diesel America, Inc. in US. They are used mostly in local delivery service and are fairly popular. Go to udtrucks.com for their web site.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    If the current Tundra is Toyota's idea of a 1/2 ton then the CURRENT Titan is already more truck than the future 3/4 ton Tundra.

Don't get me wrong, Toyotas are fine. I own an '03 Corolla and have owned several Toys in the past including 2 4X4 mini-trucks, but if you look at Tundra's load hualing ability you gotta laugh. With 2 "full-sized" trucks and a decades long track record of underachieving it's hard to believe that the legendary CAR maker is going to build a HEAVY DUTY truck.
  • ndsnds Member Posts: 9
    Titan King Cab GVWR 6486 Curb Weight 4966 Cargo Capacity 1520. Tundra Access Cab GVWR 6010 Curb Weight 4450 Cargo Capacity 1560. Looks about equal to me. Toyata built underpowered but tough as nails 1 ton truck for years Many are still on road as mini motor homes and local delivery trucks. Toyota/Hino have very sucessfull line of light to medium trucks see hinotrucksusa.com.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The Tundra's "load hauling" (aka payload) is equal to any in the 1/2 ton class. Yes, its tow rating is less, and same with engine displacement; but not payload.

Bob
    I know you have/had a Tundra Bob. Did you ever load it with the advertized max payload directly over the rear axle? If so was there ANY spring travel left?
     Sometimes we see T100s and Tundras on job sites but they are almost never owned by contracters nor are they heavily loaded.
     In the 3 years I've owned my 2500HD I've had 5-600lbs over the 2900 max payload in it at least a dozen times and still had plenty (3-4 inches) of spring travel.
     If I was hualing mountian bikes or the occasional refrigerator Toyota might well top my list like it does for commuter cars but I'm not likely to start thinking of them as the builder of Heavy Duty trucks till I see a few of them overworked.

But that's just my opinion and nothing else

kip
    I've never owned a Toyota of any sort. Having said that, I've yet to run into a Tundra/T100 owner who is unhappy with their ride. BTW, one lives right across the street from me, and I talk to him fairly often.

Comparing a Tundra to a Chevy HD 3/4 ton is not comparing apples-to-apples. Compare it to a 1500 Silverado, and I'm sure it will compare quite favorably. BTW, I'm sure most of the work trucks you see at construction sites are 3/4 tons, and not 1/2 tons, regardless of brand. Also, the Tundra is not marketed as a HD truck. It's marketed like most 1/2 tons, which is mainly as a personal use truck.

Bob
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    The question kg posed was if the Tundra was loaded to its max approved load would there still be any spring travel left?

He mentioned his 2500HD only as an example of when his truck is loaded past the recommended weight that he still has 3-4 inches of spring travel. He isn't comparing a 2500 to the Tundra. That would be pointless.

Ever hear of jounce bumpers?
    The question kg posed was if the Tundra was loaded to its max approved load would there still be any spring travel left?

I don't know; but I do believe all truck makers build in some extra cushion in terms of payload ratings, because they know from experience that owners will from time to time overload their trucks.

Ever hear of jounce bumpers?

I've heard of them, but I'm not exactly certain as to what they are. I'm assuming they are some sort of cushion so that when the truck get overloaded, they act as some sort of buffer, so that the springs don't bottom out?

Bob
    I mentioned my 3/4 ton only to point out that a GMC overloaded as much as 20% is still drivable. The same is true for Ford and Dodge and the jury is still out for the Titan but nobody overloads a T-100 or Tundra. I worked My Tacoma like a rented mule. I towed a 4000+ lb boat with 800 in the truck every weekend, but with 1500 lb of sand evenly distributed and 2 passengers (right at max payload)the springs were bottomed out, and really, it looked ridicules towing that boat with the back end sagging.When I shoveled most of the sand against the back of the cab I regained 2 inches of travel which is why I asked about the load OVER THE REAR AXLE.(like the big 3)
    Most pickups at construction sites are 1/2 ton and our '94 Dodge V6 regularly carried much more than it's rated payload. MY PERSONAL GMC 2500HD was bought for recreational use and except for the few times I've used it hualing materials to my own properties it's only used to tow a 7200 lb boat and the one I towed with the Taco. I drive a Corolla to work where I have use of the V6 Dodge.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I overloaded my T-100 (1994-99) a few times. I slowed down and it was for short distances.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Did it ride on its jounce bumpers at or near max load?
    How does the TITAN ride with 2000 lb in the bed. And not aginst the cab. My Tacoma carried the advertized capacity aginst the cab pretty well, and we've all had a chance to checkout Tundras. I want to hear from a Titan owner who has carried a pallet of bricks over the axle, or a load of sheet rock hanging out the back.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    It was never out of control and it did not sway profusely. However, if you did a low area, it would give a big diving motion.

I know one time, when I had wood higher than the cab, i did hit the tires once. Not a good thing. I didn't do that again. I had a 8-foot bed.
    I recall my 03 access cab being loaded with wet sand at the concrete place last year. Whew....I will never do that again. That was not a good way to break it in. Not sure what it weighed, but the loader emphasized driving veerrrrry carefully.
    How does the TITAN ride with 2000 lb in the bed

If you're carrying that much weight, you're overloading it. No Titan is rated to carry that much.

Bob
    The Titans advertized max payload rating is lower than any other full sized truck GMs is highest at over 2000 and all the rest are over 1800, (except Titan)depending on options of coarse. Many of us truck owners overload them from time to time. Posts 203, 206 and 207 for example (all Tundras). Those of us who work in an enviornment where this is common expect to see Fords, Chevys, and Dodges overloaded and performing well, but NOT Tundras. And as for the Titan, that's what I'm asking about. How do overloaded Titans compare to overloaded Tundras. If you're not going to load it down, get the Tundra for the better interior and ride.

Best regards,
    kip
This discussion has been closed.