Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra vs. Nissan Titan

Comments

• bearbrawnbearbrawn Member Posts: 19
    All the new vehicles have these various sensor issues
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    "The Japanese trucks may be better quality than the big 3 but if something does go wrong out of warranty it is pay back time."

not with the titan. the only part that comes from overseas is the tranny, so all other parts are shipped domestic. in the past, imports had higher maintenance and repair costs because of overseas shipping. not so anymore.
    replacement parts are no more expensive on nissans, hondas, and toyotas than on domestics, since many domestics are built in mexico, japan, korea, etc...
  • rexallen13rexallen13 Member Posts: 8
    I think the Titan Looks horrible and don't want to drive one and upset the people who have to look at me. I love my 2003 Tundra EXCAB.
  • bearbrawnbearbrawn Member Posts: 19
    Yeah, Rex I feel sorry for the multitudes of folks who constantly whip their heads around as I drive past.

And I've heard it may be causing fender-benders as well.

The Tundras are so easy on the eyes I barely notice them - unless one gets in my way in traffic...

SHIFT_
    "The Tundras are so easy on the eyes I barely notice them - unless one gets in my way in traffic..."

you notice them???

all i can tell is a small bump when i run over one...kinda like an old roadkill...
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    old roadkill
  • albivalbiv Member Posts: 35
    Purchased a Titan 3 weeks ago. Major disappointment. I regret buying it. Having been loyal to Toyota in the past I looked at the Titan out of curiosity. Rides pretty good, good HP, generous amount of room in the Crew Cab, plenty of gadgets and gimmicks. The utilitrac system is nice. But, Nissan QC on this truck is pathetic. I have a list of 15 issues that need to get resolved at the dealer. There are some "competing websites" which detail many of the problems associated with these trucks, from burnt rearends to failed trannys to radios that fade in and out, warped brake rotors, insufficient diff lube, and the list goes on. Granted this is a new vehicle, but not a good sign. Should have purchased the Tundra. Live and learn.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    the step side Tundras I have seen bring new meaning to ugly from the cab back.

I'll wait for a year to see how the Titan does QC wise.

We bought a first year 2k Imapla in sept 1999. They had sub frame issues. Our Impala received a new frame under warranty and still had problems
  • green_teagreen_tea Member Posts: 14
    Hard to believe somebody bought a new truck and had all the problems listed on the webpage (15 problems) happened to this single vehicle at the same time!! Someone may have one or two problems at a time. You must be unfortunate indeed.

Check the recent Edmund comparison of full size trucks, Toyota Tundra is at the second to bottom of all trucks. And Nissan Titan blows out every competition by incredible margin.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/101958/article- .html

Even if I got 15 major problems on the new Titan, I would still prefer to go back to dealer and ask for a change instead of considering Tundra.
    Do a search on the net for a Titan talk website and look at the problems link. You'd be surprised. The Tundra might be second to last but if the Titan is in the shop as opposed to the street what's the point. I don't have the time to spend reading magazines at Nissan service. My first Nissan was a 1993 240sx which was flawless so I based my purchase on that experience. One thing's for sure, the Titan is not in my long term truck ownership plans.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    But my quarter got stuck in the machine.

Tundra vs. Titan? Get the F150
    I think they're more expensive than a quarter, then again there isn't a 7/8 of a dollar coin.
  • believebelieve Member Posts: 74
    Can anyone tell me how the Toyota compares with the Titan as far as quietness?....I've driven in a friends Titan......it was ok....but I've read that the Tundra is extremely quiet. The reason I ask is I wear hearing aids and anyone who has worn them knows that sound from road noise etc really is quite a pain...especially when it comes to a conversation within the vehicle...other than that I can just turn them off.....trust me...how quite a vehicle is really matters to those of us that are losing our hearing. The more you turn the volumn up to hear someone speak..the more the road noise etc increases.
    I don't like Tundra's hauling ability (or lack thereof) but it's definitely more refined. If you're not going to work it too hard it's probably your best choice. On the other hand, if you're going to load it down on a regular basis, turn off your hearing aid and get a real truck.
  • jimbob7216jimbob7216 Member Posts: 15
    I own a Tundra DC 4X4, and it is by far the best truck I have owned, including a Ford F150 and a GMC Jimmy. I pull a 4,000 lb boat, and I don't even feel it back there. The power is more than adequite, with smoothe passing power up to 90, though I am much more cautious pulling a boat. The truck is so refined that my wife says it is almost as smoothe as her Lexus. Comments such as kg11's:" turn off your hearing aid and get a real truck" are just chest thumpin. i.e, my ? is bigger than your ?. I drove both the 04 F150 and the Titan, and the Titan, though it does have a bigger engine, is so loud it gets on your nerves, at least it did mine and my son's, and has very poor quality control (See Titan.com), and while the F150 in my opinion is a good truck, it just is not in the same league with the Tundra. The Tundra double cab is a new design with a longer wheel base, and therefore rides even smoother than the access cab.

Hope this helps. Jim
  • bluemaxbluemax Member Posts: 2
    Did you really read ALL the comparisons here at Edmund’s? You must have missed this one:

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmunds/VehicleComparison;jsessio- nid=AQgoapwuawTaGlpsiKvGN4Z4gy1vQSyZb6qNYF9Bpsm0X012wv1f!-2078571- 469?basestyleid=100370937&styleid=100368160&maxvehicles=5- &refid=&op=3&tab=ratings

Compare the Tundra and the Titan 4-door models in this link here at Edmunds. Granted the Titan has a few higher marks than the Tundra and I'll give you that. BUT... look at the 15th line down under this "ratings" tab where it says JD Powers & Associates Ratings. (See: Mechanical Quality, Feature & Accessory Quality, Body & Interior Quality) The KEY word here is... QUALITY! From what I see, the Titan DIDN'T fair well at ALL here. These 3 ratings are MAJOR for most buyers! Especially from an independent source like JD Powers. Unfortunately, it kind-of shatters your "better truck theory" of the Titan pretty much.

So, while Titan owners are at the dealership with quality repair issues, us Tundra owners, will be waving as we pass by. You say you would still prefer to go back to the Nissan dealer and ask for a change rather than consider the Tundra. A change for what?! A Nissan Frontier?! I SURE wouldn't relish the idea of spending excess time (over quality issues) at a dealership with a new truck! Heck... I bought it to drive, NOT sit in the shop!!
  • quadrunner501quadrunner501 Member Posts: 94
    I looked at the Titan yesterday at St.John's Nissan in Englewood. I was very impressed!

This is the truck Toyota should have built in 2000! Looks to me like the big Nissan avoided all of Toyota's marketing gaffes to the USA full size truck buyer.

- full size
    - 5.6L aluminum block
    - 5 speed automatic transmission
    - 4 wheel DISC brakes
    - MIM (made in Mississippi) Lol...

I knew NOTHING about this truck, didn't read about it, unpoisoned and untainted by bias.

The dealership loaded me up with printed reading materials, including magazine reprints where it won every competition, C&D, Sport Truck, 4-Wheeler.

Really fun to drive truck, precise, communicative steering and road feedback, flat cornering, (Rancho shocks), smooth shifting tranny, stiff chassis, loved the bed utility options.

Nits? A few...

- interior plastic looks cheap
    - take it or leave it styling
    - mediocre paint quality
    - marginal payload rating, but has more leafs in rear springs than Tundra.

...but here's the biggie...PREMIUM FUEL REQUIRED. The fuel mileage was already painful before that footnote.

I'll be sticking with durability and economy of my Silverado 2500HD Duramax diesel for a while longer in these tough times of high fuel prices, but if I was in the 1/2 ton market, the Titan would easily be my first choice.
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    You Wrote:
     "..but here's the biggie...PREMIUM FUEL REQUIRED. The fuel mileage was already painful before that footnote.

I'll be sticking with durability and economy of my Silverado 2500HD Duramax diesel for a while longer in these tough times of high fuel prices, but if I was in the 1/2 ton market, the Titan would easily be my first choice."

Untrue! Premium fuel is 100% not required! Your information is wrong; sorry. But enjoy your Silverado, they are a good truck.
    Thanks Keanec. My info on the premium fuel requirement comes from the HUGE Nissan promotional brochure. Perhaps it is wrong, they often are. I am going to scan it and post. Give me a few minutes.
    Again...not my info...comes from the 2004 brochure.

is nowhere to be seen in the owners manual.
    Sure would like some clarification on this. Does the owners manual state an "octane rating" i.e. [87]?

Only other info I can locate on the subject is the reprint of the 2004 Four Wheeler Pickup Truck of the Year article lists recommended octanes for Silverado, Ram, F-150, Titan and Tundra, all shown as 87 except RAM Hemi 89.

Certainly nothing to rely on...
  • jv312jv312 Member Posts: 32
    I have 12k trouble-free miles on my 04 Toyota DC SR5 4WD TRD. I feel the cab is extremely quiet. My only complaint are the BFG OEM tires. The rugged trails are terrible in the snow & far from "rugged". They do provide a cushy comfortable ride in non-inclement weather. Plus I think Toyota could have put alittle more thought into the front captain chairs. The material/design are a far cry from the old SR5 Sport buckets they use to install in their pickups. I loved my old seats!! Otherwise, I towed an enclosed trailer all winter long & feel the engine has plenty of power. The Titan wasn't out when I purchased, but my neighbor has one, a 4WD extended cab & he is very happy with his truck too. My last Toyota gave me 10 years & went 170k. I guess that's why I stuck with Toyota. I owned a 2002 Explorer and liked that SUV as well. Honestly my choice came down to either another Explorer or the Tundra. All of these trucks are good choices IMO. Get out & test drive and see which one floats your boat!!
    I used to pull a 4000lb boat with my Tacoma so I'm standing by my "If you're going to load it down" statement. As I said, if you're not going to work it too hard (4000lb boat) the Tundra's probably your best choice. It was the first "full sized" truck I test drove before I bought my '01 GMC 2500 HD.

Yes, mine IS bigger than yours and I work the heck out of it, but if you don't need something like that don't buy one.

On the other hand, it's pretty unrealistic for Tundra owners to claim thier "full sized" truck can hual half a ton while towing three and a half more.
    That was a misprint. That was in the initial brochure but it is not true. Another person had posted that a long time ago and it was discounted. Nissan themselves say 87 octane which is not premium. You can call their 800 number and they will tell you this. There a thousands of owners who are using regular unleaded.

Owners Manual!

"Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane
         rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number(Research octane number 91)."
    Thanks Keanec for posting the exact wording from the owners manual.

You're probably right, but in the states, I believe the pump numbers are dervived by averaging R+M, research octane + some other octane method, I forget. If I averaged 87 AKI to 91 Research, I get 89 which while not premium, would still be mid-grade octane of 89. Clear as mud.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    clear as mud.....
    The owners manual for my Tacoma said reg/87 octane but the truck pinged and had no power unless I used 89 octane. maybe in Japan thier 9's look like 7's
    No, the owners manual is American. They recommend 87 which is not mid grade in the states. (Nor in Canada) 87 AKI actually equals 91 Research. You do not average them to come up with a number. They are two different ways of measuring. Both 87 AKI and 91 Reasearch equal regular grade gas, not mid grade which is 89 AKI or premium, which is 91 (or so)AKI.

I am aware of some places which sell gas with less than 87 AKI - I don't think any car manufacturers recommend using this grade of gas in any new vehicle.

All said, the Titan uses the same grade of gas as the F-150, the Chevy and the Tundra.
    Which is the average of Research Octane Number and Motor Octane Number, (RON and MON)otherwise known as the AKI or anti-knock index. Since that is what you have been saying all along, you have been right, 87 AKI = regular grade. Thanks.

http://www.westechperformance.com/pages/Tech_Library/Understandin- g/octane.html
    >>>I am aware of some places which sell gas with less than 87 AKI - I don't think any car manufacturers recommend using this grade of gas in any new vehicle.<<<

I live in one of those places, Denver Colorado. Here, regular grade is 85, mid is 87 and premium is 91.

That said, it is no problem using 85 in a Titan or any vehicle rated for (R+M)/2 = 87 AKI. The gasolines are formulated for our high altitude driving conditions. Combustion pressures are lower here due to the lower density of air means less oxygen. Of course it wouldn't be recommended that you fill up your boat here and drive it to the coast.
    the octane is different because the oxygen content of the air is lower.

suburban detroit is at 1400 ft. above sea level, and there are places that carry 86 octane as regular.
    Good to read some real facts about gas...I do travel quite often and it is good to know about the differences in areas and altitudes.
  • lexus lslexus ls Member Posts: 10
    I was at the toyota dealer and I told the sales men that I wanted to buy a tundra double cab because I have a 2002 and have 123k miles on it and I have done nothing to it but a set of LTX tires that came on it with the eriki wheel package, 2 sets of breaks, and oil changes. Not one other thing to the truck. It is the best truck that I have ever seen. But like every thing else I need a truck that has a better tow package. So i looked at the Titan. It is a very nice truck. But it doesn't fit me. I don't like the way it looks. Anyway the sales men told me that I should wait until September. I said why. He told me that toyota is bring out a 5.7 Liter engion that is going to take the lead of the truck world. Even the hemi. So in September I am going to buy a new 2005 double cap tundra. He also told me that the price increase is going to be less than $500 and that the 5.7 liter is going to be stock in the truck. Just wanted to let you know some info being my first time in this post.
    toyota IS bringing out a new engine, but the specs dont make much...

the "lead of the truck world" will be simply in displacement. 5.7L is a BIGGER engine, but the displacement has very little to do with the overall usage of the engine.
  • rhollandrholland Member Posts: 3
    All of today's trucks are good, I went from a GMC with a 454 to a Ford F150 302, to the new Titan. I could live with any of the 1/2 ton pickups, I got the best deal on the Titan.
    I drove the F150 for 8 years and put 176,000 miles, with no problems.
  • bluerangerblueranger Member Posts: 7
    Where do these sales people get this info....my goodness, for the 05 engine, the 4.7 I-Force will recieve VVT-i (variable valve timing intelligence), which equals + 42 horsies until 06 when a whole new engine will be coming out
    and as a truck person, you should know what horsies actually mean.

torque is the operative measurement of a trucks towing/hauling capabilities. thats why the f150 feels anemic in acceleration, but pulls almost as well as the titan. 365 lb./ft. in the ford, 379 in the titan.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    Don't forget about weight. An 04 Tundra Double Cab will slightly outrun a F150 SuperCrew with the 5.4 because of the F150's extra 800 pounds of weight. It should be interesting to see what the 05 with more hp and 5-spd auto will do vs. Nissan.
    Well mr. ibowke28, sorry about stating simple facts from the new 05 specification sheet, and excuse me for leaving the torque part out of it, my apologies. I was just trying to clear up some of the rumors about a new engine in 05. The torque for the new 05 tundra with VVTI will be 328 ftlb of torque @ 3400.
    328@3400 is still pretty weak compared with ford, dodge, nissan, and GM. all the rest are over 350. ford is 365, nissan is 379, dodge is 375...etc....

im not sure of what GM is, but im almost sure its over 350.
    Lets consider engine sizes. The Tundra at the current momment has a 4.7. Dodge is the 5.7?, nissan is the 5.6? (Im not 100% sure because all my research has been focused around toyota. Anyways, my point is, if you took the lower engines, such as the 4.6 from ford or the 4.whatever from dodge, the tundra far surpasses it in avaible hp and torque. With its current #'s, it is still a competitor with the dodge and nissan, and with the addition of vvti and the 5-sp next year I wouldnt b e surprised if it came really close to beating those trucks. The current 4runner with the 4.7 and 5-sp does 0-60 in 7.8 sec (est), tundra should be pretty darn close, (vehicle weight within 300 lbs of each other. Engine size doesnst matter much to me anyways, as im in it for the long haul and reliability. If you cruze over to titantalk.com, the nissan has had coultless problems with its debut, and I wouldnt be touching dodge with a 50 foot pole due to their track record. MPG's are also much better than dodge specifically, I was in my friend's last night, consol said 10.2. Tundras are right around 14-15 city mileage. Anyways, enough of my rambling, what truck are you in the market for anyways?
    nissan's engine is standard on all models. you dont have to get option package #219,178 to get the big motor.

with ford, the 4.6l specs are almost identical to toyota's TOP motor??? that doesnt sound right. so if i go to toyota, i have to get option pkg. #219,178, AND spend extra money just to get suyb-par performance? i think not. if i want sub-par performance, ill get the ford with the small v8 and save money.
    Lets consider engine sizes. The Tundra at the current momment has a 4.7. Dodge is the 5.7?, nissan is the 5.6? (Im not 100% sure because all my research has been focused around toyota. Anyways, my point is, if you took the lower engines, such as the 4.6 from ford or the 4.whatever from dodge, the tundra far surpasses it in avaible hp and torque. With its current #'s, it is still a competitor with the dodge and nissan, and with the addition of vvti and the 5-sp next year I wouldnt b e surprised if it came really close to beating those trucks. The current 4runner with the 4.7 and 5-sp does 0-60 in 7.8 sec (est), tundra should be pretty darn close, (vehicle weight within 300 lbs of each other. Engine size doesnst matter much to me anyways, as im in it for the long haul and reliability. If you cruze over to titantalk.com, the nissan has had coultless problems with its debut, and I wouldnt be touching dodge with a 50 foot pole due to their track record. MPG's are also much better than dodge specifically, I was in my friend's last night, consol said 10.2. Tundras are right around 14-15 city mileage. Anyways, enough of my rambling, what truck are you in the market for anyways?
    please dont hit the "refresh" button while on this page. it makes your posts duplicate.
    You have to take what you read with a grain of salt. Titantalk is a great place for info on the Titan, but remember many people go there to post problems and to find solutions. There are many people who have no problems on that site, as well as ones who have had too many problems. It is the same on any Ford or Dodge or Toyota dedicated site.

I am not saying the Titan is problemless (mine isn't) but most of the 2000 owners over there love their titans! They will post about every little squeek rattle and bug, but they still love them.
    Copied from fords website:

SOHC 16-valve 4.6-liter V-8, 231 hp, 293 lb-ft; SOHC 24-valve 5.4-liter V-8, 300 hp, 365 lb-ft

The tundras 05 4.7 VVTI) far surpasses the current 4.6 offered in the F-150. As far as paying extra, for the new 05, expect to pay ~$500 for the added ponies, among a lot of other added features as well. I dont konw what the 0-60 times are for the different trucks, and I'm not quite sure what your point is. Your comparing apples to oranges here (5.6-7 engines to a 4.7), and the fact that the tundra can still semi-hang with all the new competition before its major makeover says a lot about toyota, and their quality, and their performance. If you want to spend less money and get a ford, fine with me, you get what you pay for. I have a ranger right now, and I cant wait to step into a toyota and feel the difference in quality and know that it is going to get me there no matter what. To each his own, this is my opinion and you have yours, and i totally respect it, no pun intended. But for me, it will be a toyota, it seems like the best choice for my needs, and what I want in a truck
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    If you have been to the titan talk site. It would be worth your time to check out tundrasolutions.com

Quite the eye opener..............
This discussion has been closed.