Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Our seat belts don't lock either in our 2001 DGC EX or 1998 Pontiac Sunfire. I believe this to be normal. usually the seat belt locks when in an accident or when the brakes are applied. As for the car seat in the second row. We have a car seat in the second row of our minivan and use the seat belt to keep it secure. Your seat belt consist of a lap belt and shoulder belt. You have to make sure that after you loop the seat belt through the back of the car seat, you remove all the slack from the seat belt, by pulling on the shoulder part of the seat belt to make the lap part of the seat belt tight. Also, make sure to use your weight in the car seat while doing this. This way it will be tight and the car seat will not move side to side or back and forward very easily. We have four kids and each one has used two or more different car seats. I have installed all of them in the vechicles we have now and in my older vechicles: 1977 Ford LTD II and 1986 Lincoln Town Car. Good luck. :shades:
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Thanks for the reply master!!!
  • jtheronjtheron Member Posts: 24
    lammypie
    we have a 04 T&C and experience the same fill up problem when trying to top off the tank, now we just stop when it stops and have an odd dollar amount, small problem, if it even is one, on an otherwise nice van
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Were moved to the Chrysler Town & Country Prices Paid & Buying Experiences discussion.

Thanks!
    I need some expert opinions:

So, My wife's T & C only has about 250 miles on it. She calls me yesterday and tells me her brakes are making a grabbing noise when she's coming to a stop. I get home from work and drive it. All sounds normal. I do hear a noise when you come to a stop and the brakes "grab" to rotors. It sort of sounds like when I wash the cars and you use the brakes for the first time afterwards. It sounds normal to me. I figured it was because the pads need breaking in and with some more miles they would seat better. I called the service department and they said if she is concerned, then bring it in and they will drive with me.

Does this sound normal for new breaks or shoudl I get it looked at?
    Usually, it takes about 300 miles or so to brake in new pads. My guess is that they are still in the brake in period, but it never hurts to have them checked out. Remember, when ever in doubt have it checked out. :shades:
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    Some seatbelts would lock when you do a quick pull (like having an accident). However, I believe most car seats come with a piece of metal called "Locking Clip" see below links. You can also buy that metal piece from Babies R Us or other places that sell car seat.

http://home.earthlink.net/~carseatsite/lockingclips.htm
    Thanks TomTom
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Hi ahzoo, I'm curious to know if you ended up buying this van. And if you did, what was the final price? This price seemed to be lower than invoice minus rebates. How could the dealer do that? Thanks!
    Yesterday I got a chance to sit in a previous model Grand Caravan and found the head room to be a lot more generous than the current stow-n-go model. This one didn't have side airbags, so I don't know it's the airbag taking up the space or the stow-n-go seats. Comments?
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    I have GC SXT with tow package, It came with tow package and I've since had hitch, brake controller and wiring installed. I have a Coleman Tent Trailer to pull. Has anyone been towing? Any advice on mirrors....add ons or replacements???
  • ViperggVipergg Member Posts: 24
    If you are going to buy one get it this year , chrysler has just announced the end of 7/70000 mile powertrain coverage . will only be 3/36000 next year . Stupid move with the Hyundai's and Kia's breathing down their neck and with some nice new vehicles coming into the pipeline .
    http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/16/Autos/chrysler_warranty/index.htm
    I'm sure Daimlerchrysler will give you the option to buy an extended warranty. So all is not lost. You'll just have to pay a little more for peace of mind if you keep your vechicle over three years. :shades:
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    It may mean that Chrysler transmission problems are behind them and they feel they no longer have to offer their 7/70 anymore.
  • tomg4tomg4 Member Posts: 5
    A family member is helping me buy a 2005 T&C Sig Series (comes w/ the DVD, NAV, sunroof, Sirius radio, etc).

Because I am currently overseas, I won't be there to conduct the transaction. Can anyone who has purchased a Signature Series tell me what "bit parts" should be recieved? So far, I have come up with the following list of items that should come with the car:

1. 2 wireless headphones for the DVD
    2. Remote control for the DVD
    3. DVD-ROM disk for the Nav/GPS system
    4. Deluxe floormats
    5. A Sirius radio 1 year included contract?

Can anyone think of any other bits/pieces? I want to give the list to the person buying the car for me to make sure I get all of the expected items. thanks!
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    If their problems "are behind them" then it won't cost them much to continue this great peace of mind warranty. What will it cost in lost sales? As if their constant de-contenting of great features wasn't cost saving and customer annoying enough :confuse:
    Are they even building these Signature series T & C's anymore. I just purchased a Touring model with the smae options you mentioned (minus Nav) and they did mention that the Sig series are very difficult to find. In addition to the items you mentioned, ours came with: Side airbags, adj pedals and front removable storage bin.

Good luck.
  • veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    The announcement that DC is dropping the 7/70 powertrain warranty implies to me that the 2006 models will continue to use the same OHV engines and 4-speed automatics that are currently offered.

If so, this means that DC will fall even further behind in technology content compared to its main rivals, especially with Kia coming along with such a vastly improved product.

If Kia maintains its impressive record of offering a lot of content for (comparatively) very little money, I wonder if DC will be willing to drop its prices even further to compensate for the reduced warranty. I know I wouldn't even consider buying a 2006 DC minivan unless the dealer is willing to throw in an extended warranty to sweeten the deal.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    "If so, this means that DC will fall even further behind in technology content compared to its main rivals, especially with Kia coming along with such a vastly improved product. "

And yet, they are selling vans like crazy - Big sales increase this year after years of stagnant or declining sales
    I would have to agree that Chrysler minivans are not as "technically" advanced as the Sienna and Odyssey. But the VALUE of the T&C is far above the other 2. A comparable van that has the same options as mine would cost easily $15,000 more.
    Well, it's obvious by Daimlerchrysler sales, that consumers are more concerned about other things then the updated technology. (The motor and trans.) As far as I can tell, Daimlerchrysler has a more reliable motor and trans. then the competition. I agree it would be nice to have more horse power then the 215 HP and a five speed trans. But, the current ones work great and the power of the engine is more then enough to carry our family of six with no sweat or drag on trips. Just remember this, as technology changes, sometimes it is better to stay with the old and new doesn't always mean better. I love old cars from the 50's and 60's and if I could afford one, I would buy one. :shades:
    I would have to agree masterpaul1. If Chrysler sticks with their current engine and tranny and does away with the 7/70 warrantee, it must mean they feel they have a reliable engine and tranny now.

Although some can talk about the great technology of the Honda and Toyota with high tech engine and five speed tranny, they only get one or two miles per gallon better mileage than the Dodge/Chrysler. Plus in the quarter mile, the Honda is only less than a second faster.

Chrysler engineers have to wonder if it's worth putting millions into new engines and trannies for so little reward. Or stick with what they now know are proven reliable ones. It would seem wiser to use the money to make their new generation van nicer, with more standard options than the others. It will be very interesting to see the new generation vans when they come out
    So is break in about 10,000 miles??? I have 3500 miles on mine and it just feels really tight and sluggish
    We're talking Minivans here, not Sport Sedans....Point A to B, kinda like debating the pop up mechanism of toasters - "mine pops up .002 milliseconds faster".

I know this! I saved about $9000 over a Honda with equivalent features (but no stability control), I love my "Stow N Go", I get about 22 mpg without being broken in yet, and haven't had a single issue - not that I expect any, having owned two Caravans for company cars over the years. I check out the Honda sites and see tales of steering, doors and AC issues.

Ohh and the "Honda has superior resale value" issue. I'll plunk down the $9000 plus 4 or 5 years of interest, on top of the DCX resale in 4-5 years and see who's ahead.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Why are the 2004 Sienna and 2005 Odyssey in Edmund's long term tests getting LOWER gas mileage than Edmunds got with their 2001 Grand Caravan ES?
    I get considerably higher gas mileage on my 2002 T&C than my son gets with his 2001 Ody EX.
    It may have to do with driving style and where the driving is taking place!!
    Same Edmund's drivers have been using each minivan in the same location and the 2001 GC ES got better over all, long term gas mileage than has the 2004 Sienna and now the 2005 Odyssey. (The 1999 Odyssey EX got even better overall gas mileage than did the 2001 GC ES...and the 1999 Ody had an old fashioned 4 speed AT).
    Sort of makes you feel like your not getting your money's worth with all that high tech?
  • ottsmottsm Member Posts: 13
    About two weeks ago I purchased a T&C Limited with nearly $5,500 off in rebates. I was considering the Odyssey, both my wife and I liked it, however, something just didn't feel right. When we test drove one I had to really slam the door to get it closed. Also when I opened the small door to the 12 volt power jack I could hear the spring that helps keep this door closed fly off behind the dash. I did like the power of the engine and a lot of the interior features were nice (sun shades, conversation mirror, double glove box, flip down center console, 8th seat, etc.). What I didn't like, is that I couldn't even test drive one with a DVD/NAV system. Everytime that I got called about one being in it sold before I could get to the dealer. I did notice that the DVD player was a single unit and was below the cup holders (not the best place). At that time we had been also looking at the Dodge Grand, it had nearly every option for a great price, far under the Honda. We waited and took are time. I finally gave up on the Honda, I didn't like what I was reading on the forums with minor problems. I really wanted to test drive the DVD/NAV unit. I hated the fact that in order to get the auto lift gate you had to go with the Touring (way to costly), and then you lose the 8th seat. Honda is really screwed up with there options. I can't get to caught up with minivan looks, but the Honda does not look nearly as nice on the outside as the T&C/DGC. We also looked at Toyota, but it's stuck in between the Honda and the T&C/DGC, and it doesn't have the stow&go. I was ready to wait until the end of the year for any good deals. Then I got a call from the Chrysler dealer that the rebate had change from $3500 to $5500. This was a fully loaded T&C limited. The only options it doesn't have is; Trailer hitch (don't really care about this), Hands free unit, & the Sirius radio. I had them add the Sirius radio. Most of the driving I will be doing with this car is freeway, vacations mainly. The engine/trans is more then able to deliver for this type of driving. All the people that I talk too are getting the stated gas milage of 25 Mpg. Never could figure out if people are getting 28 mpg in the honda. Even if they do the reality is you could never get the payback in the added cost of the Honda. If gas is $2.50 and you put 10,000 miles per year on the car, that's 400 gallons or $1000 at 25 mpg, at 28 it would only be $107 per year savings if I did my math correct. I would have had to be several thousand more just to get a Honda with only a few of the options that I have in the T&C Limited.

So far I'm very pleased with the T&C. I thought the Nav/Radio would be difficult to get use to, but I've really grown to like this setup. Some of the reviews complained about the small screen and the low position on the dash. It's really not a problem. I will admit the stow&go seats are firm but they are comfortable. I could see where a large person might not like these seats. Cloth seats are softer, but we needed leather for our one year old, and we have baby coming in November.
    Hi ottsm, could you tell me how much you paid for your van? Thanks.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    The Grand Caravan SE is now equipped with a 60/40 split fold-down third row seat, and a removable bench seat in the 2nd row, along with the underfloor storage bins from the Stow 'N Go system.

This makes the base model much more attractive for familes on a budget.
    The Manufacture Suggested Retail price was $37,970, I paid about $29k (not including tax and title). I have a friend who has a relative that works for Chrysler, I think they get 5% off. At the end of 2004 they got a 2005 Touring with a lot of options for about $26.5k. To get a Honda I would have had to pay over $32.5k but I would not have got a lot of the options that the T&C has (power lift gate being one option I wanted). I do like the Honda, but it just seems to have a lot of problems and I couldn't get the color I wanted. The DGC that I was looking at before this, the dealer was asking $28k, I think they would have gone down further and may have after the rebates started increasing. I didn't go back and check out the Dodge. The Dodge had a lot of options but the interior was a light color, the kick panels as you walk into the car are the same color, it really showed a lot of shoe scuff marks. It is interesting to see what they do differently to the DGC & T&C. Things like the back drivers side pocket is missing in the DGC, the storage space under the DVD player is also missing, etc. If they would have had a touring with all the options and the color I wanted in the T&C I would have probably ended up with it instead of the limited. I went to several dealers in another state also, didn't have much luck. They don't seem that interested in helping the minute you try to get something that isn't on there lot, yes they can go get one from another dealer but forget any special deals.
    Grand Caravan SE changed to Stow and Go first part of February when the base price increased from $21,735 to $22,735 with the "28 J" pkg. That was AT LEAST the 4th price increase for the 2005 GC SE since it was introduced. The 5th price increase now has base GC SE at $22,820 plus the destination fee increased to $730. :cry:
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Congrats, ottsm! I hope you'll post about your new car in the Town & Country: Prices Paid & Buying Experience Forum, to help out other members who are thinking of buying a T&C.

ClaireS

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

I am glad you are enjoying your new T&C Limited. We too bought a loaded (almost loaded) Touring model and have had it for a little over 2 weeks. We love it and it seems like a very comfortable ride. The only downside so far is the gas mileage. I know the van is new and it will get better mileage once the car gets more miles on it, but in a mix on city and highway my wife gets about 18mpg +/-. If we drive all highway the computer states we are getting close to 23mpg. But, throw in any sort of city driving and the mpg goes down to 18mpg. It is still allot better than the gas mileage in our previously owned Tahoe.
    Well Consummer's Report might have rated the Honda as the best minivan, but the U.S. government just ordered 24,000 Dodge minivans. I guess they see the advantage of price and Stow-n-Go.
    Did the government buy the Caravan SE or Grand Caravan SE? If the GC SE, do they have the original seating or the latest model with the 28J or 28L option that has Stow-N-Go?
    The 28L option does NOT have separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger and costs $1090. The 28J option includes the separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger and costs $2000. An overhead console is NOT available on either the Caravan SE or GC SE. :cry:
    The Government probably paid about half the suggested MSRP buying in bulk. :)
    I'm getting about 18 MPG in town also. I will be driving from WV up to Ohio & Michigan this weekend, some hills in WV but flat in most of Ohio. I'll try and remember to come back and list my MPG. Most of the city driving I'm doing is slow speed (35 MPH) and stop and go. I noticed if I stop and let the car idle for any length of time this kills the MPG. On the main route I drive most of the time, the traffic lights use to be on timers, if you went the speed limit you would not hit that many lights. Now that they have upgraded all the lights I have to stop all the time.
    Fox News did not say which models they bought. It was a very short story. Basically only saying the government had bought 24,000 Dodge minivans. Watch your paper, it should tell more in there when published.
  • nymomnymom Member Posts: 17
    I currently drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee and with our family getting bigger(2kids now) there just is not enough room. I live in northern new york where it is not uncommon for one snow storm to drop 7-10inches of snow and the kids still have to get to school. Does anyone have experience with the T&C in snow conditions? Would a good set of snow tires and the traction control be enough? Any input would be appreciated. Also does anyone know if Chrysler will bring back the AWD version?Thanks
    Also does anyone know if Chrysler will bring back the AWD version?Thanks

Don't look for all wheel drive on their new minivans. Stow-N-Go won't let them put in a drive shaft to the rear wheels. I don't see them doing away with Stow-N-Go.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    We have two Grand Caravans, one with traction control, one without. Both handle extremely well in the slippery stuff. Last winter we took a day trip to Vermont, and while there, it started snowing, heavily. By the time we got back to I-93 in central New Hampshire, there was an easy six inches on the roads, and we still had a good 40 miles more to go before we got home. Through it all we had no problem maintaining 50 mph or better, moving with the AWD crowd all of the way. When we got off I-93 at our local exit, we had to navigate five miles down a very hilly and winding two lane road covered with a very rutted eight inches or so, once again, no problem with that part of the trip either. All of this on All-Season rubber.

Two of our last three winters have been fairly good, as in well over one hundred inches of snow good (or bad depending upon your point of view), and after seeing how well our two GCs handle the white stuff, I wouldn't even consider spending the extra money on the AWD system.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    My DGC was very good in the snow the past winter. On steep hills it may slip slightly here and there, but that's just normal for any car, and I was actually able to pass other cars and vans struggling in the snow.

If you live in a area with steep hills, AWD is very welcome, as I've experienced many times. Otherwise, FWD cars or vans are more than adequate. Just note that DC vans, unlike other brands, offer traction control only up to 35 mph. But you usually don't travel at a higher speed in inclement conditions anyway.

Good luck with your search.
  • tomg4tomg4 Member Posts: 5
    Surely the answer is yes:

There are A/V inputs on the CD/DVD changer, presumably so you can play alternate video sources on the rear seat video.

Has anyone jacked in their MP3 player into these inputs to listen to MP3's through the car speakers?
  • artsarts Member Posts: 5
    Regarding handling in snow - I have had several 4 wheel drive cars (Subarus, Jeeps, Toyotas) as well as 2 Dodge Caravans (1998, 2005) and have strong opinions regarding snow and snow tires. I believe my Caravans with 4 first quality winter tires (I've used Blizzaks on the 1998, and Michelin x-Ice on the new Grand Caravan) are BETTER all around in snow than a 4 wheel drive vehicle on 4 season tires. I have a long steep driveway and the Caravan with 4 winter tires climbs 99% as good as the 4 wheel drives, also it corners and stops BETTER than the 4 wheel drive vehicles I describe. Some of you may disagree but that is my experience developed over many decades of driving in New England and the Canadian Maritime provinces. Thanks for listening.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    No disagreement from me. My winter tire shod 530i (Michelin Arctic-Alpin) was certainly more capable in the snow and slippery stuff than our two all-season tire equipped GCs (at least until the snow got so deep that the 530i turned into a snow plow). I can only imagine how capable the Caravans would be if I was to spring for winter rubber for them too.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • gonavybeatarmygonavybeatarmy Member Posts: 7
    I also recently bought the TnC Limited over Honda. We wre going to get an Expedition, but when gas price shot up we reconsidered. Am military living overseas transferring back to U.S. Local dealership (Pomoco Chrysler Jeep in Hampton, VA) was great to work with, and let me take delivery of vehicle while house hunting and then stored it for me for free until we returned to States. Customer service is a winner for me always, and Pomoco is top drawer.

Test drove the TnC, Odyssey, Sienna and liked the ride of the TnC best - very smooth and quiet, along with price and stowngo. I thought the Honda had great features and acceleration, but a little too "tourqey"; it oulled to the right when accelerating hard. Also didn't like the steering wheel reach distance with the driver's seat all the way back (I'm tall).

Got the TnC with zero pct financing, tax, title, and additional 7/70 GE bumper to bumper warranty for about $34K. Although the car seems very tight, it was delievered with 2 flaws: no GPS antenna installed for the nav system, and right rear quarter window was out of alignment (about 1/4 inch not flush with the vehicle side). The dealership jumped right on these, but I'm feeling like the additional warranty was a good roll of the dice if we keep the car for 70K miles.

First 2 tanks of gas neeted 17-18 mpg in urban driving. No road trips yet, so hope to see better. Overal, love the TnC Limited initially. We'll see how it holds up.
    People have posted here in Town Hall that 2005 GC does not have lighted controls on the doors that are on my 2002 T&C LX.
    Does your 2005 GC SXT have the lighted controls on the doors for the door locks and power windows?
    More shopping for 2005 Odyssey EX (cloth) and 2005 GC SXT has these pricing results:

2005 Ody EX MSRP $28,710.....Discounted Price $26,508
    2005 GC SXT MSRP $27,625.....Discounted price $22,825*
    * If financed thru Chrysler Financial. Can make 4 monthly
    payments and then pay off balance with no penalty.

My choice of the Ody EX would be Ocean Mist Metallic to get the nice gray interior (Taffeta white would be my choice if it had the gray interior).
    My choice of the GC SXT would be Stone White Clearcoat with the nice gray interior.
    Both vans are very nice but for $3683 less, the GC SXT is the BEST BUY for me. Ody EX 2nd and 3rd row seats slightly more comfortable but the GC SXT flexibility with complete overhead console containing outside temp/compass and trip computer are more important to me than the slightly more comfortable 2nd and 3rd row seats of the Odyssey. ;)
    Does your 2005 GC SXT have the lighted controls on the doors for the door locks and power windows?

If I remember right hansienna, there is only one that lights up. It could be the one for the driver's window. Too light outside now to go out and check.

Ody EX 2nd and 3rd row seats slightly more comfortable but the GC SXT flexibility with complete overhead console containing outside temp/compass and trip computer are more important to me than the slightly more comfortable 2nd and 3rd row seats of the Odyssey

I agree. The Odyssey second and third row seats are more comfortable than on the Dodge, although they are not uncomfortable. But my wife and I set up front and they are very comfortable. I also would rather have the flexibility of the storing of the two back row seats and having the overhead console. That flexibility is the only reason I gave up a three year old truck with only 23,000 miles on it.

Mine is stone white. I bought a gold pin stripe and put it on that really makes it stand out. While I think the Honda and Toyota look nicer inside. I still think the Dodge/Chrysler look better outside.
  • mazda6_5doormazda6_5door Member Posts: 15
    Can anyone help me decipher the options available on the GC SXT listed on edmunds page. There appears to be 3 differant options called ANF, they all seem to be exactly the same, yet they all cost differant amounts. SO whats the deal with them?